Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

With all the galactic concern about the Denver O-Line.....

All we took in the draft is a left tackle?

Discuss.

And added Leary and Watson. Include a year of experience and off-season training for the young players currently on the roster. Then also add a new OC, a oline coach and presumably a new system.

I'm optimistic they will be better as a unit, including some positional depth. Considering where they were last year that may not be hard to accomplish. The big question will be how much better is a reasonable expectation?

I'm expecting (perhaps foolishly?) a big improvement in efficiency, consistency and overall production by the offense. Hopefully leading to more ball control and TDs. Just becoming middle of the road in those areas will make the Broncos a dangerous team with the level they can play defense.

Maybe the front office had one concern there. They think they filled it. So, they decided to add play makers?

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    And added Leary and Watson. Include a year of experience and off-season training for the young players currently on the roster. Then also add a new OC, a oline coach and presumably a new system.

I'm optimistic they will be better as a unit, including some positional depth. Considering where they were last year that may not be hard to accomplish. The big question will be how much better is a reasonable expectation?

I'm expecting (perhaps foolishly?) a big improvement in efficiency, consistency and overall production by the offense. Hopefully leading to more ball control and TDs. Just becoming middle of the road in those areas will make the Broncos a dangerous team with the level they can play defense.
    Totally agree Tim, It's possible with Paradis's offseason surgery that we could have 5 new starters (Garcia moving to new position) to begin the season. That's as much change as possible.

I watched zero college football and knew nothing about Bolles before we drafted him, but I can tell when someones talent stands out. This guy barring injury is going to be great.

I watched a breakdown of game film when the Cowboys played the Texans and Leary stoned J.J Watt one on one the whole game.

The right side is still a question, but Garcia and Schofield have both improved and have a couple years worth of game experience. Watson, McGovern, Day, Ferentz, Sambralio, Turner, Garcia and Schofield all vying for two starting spots is a much better situation than last year.

OL class was horrible. My guess is we are going OL again early next year.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Perhaps I am being too optimistic about the development and growth of the current players.

Stephenson is in his 6th year and Leary in his 5th. Most of the players are in their 3rd year or less. Many of he expected contributors have been forced into the lineup and have experience. Although not always good, it is still time in-game situations against pros. They have hopefully learned from those experiences. We shall see this summer.

It usually takes a couple years for players to figure it out. For them to be in professional training programs, coaching and understand the expectations in the film room and the complexities of an NFL playbook. Broncos have several olineman that are entering this sweet pot of being a pro.

This is at least the concept I am sticking to at this point of the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by False Start View Post
    All we took in the draft is a left tackle?

Discuss.
    As others here have stated. We added Leary and Watson & Drafted a LT. So the way the team will now work is Schofield, Garcia, McGovern, Ty, Turner & Day will all compete for the Guard spot. Having such aggressive competition on the offensive line cannot be a bad thing. The biggest question I had was the OC spot. I was surprised that we did not draft or at least hear a bit more about who will be filling in at OC. Then on the right side Watson will compete with Stephenson, Schofield & Ty for that RT spot. Again competition on all fronts. We also have a few UDFA's and some other signed players who may slowly step up and show that they are worthy of keeping or even playing. You never know it just depends on style fit as well as how quickly they pickup the playbook.

All-in-all I think we've made enough moves to improve where we needed to. Now it is a matter of seeing how the pieces we brought in play and then re-evaluate as the season progresses.
    Last edited by Rich_C; 05-02-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Need does not make the player better in any galaxy. There are needs, but you better follow the draft board.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Need fifteen O-Linemen for TC. Before the Draft, they had twelve. Of those, eight are veterans with game starts, one guy who was a rookie draftee last year, two guys from the PS and a career backup. Bolles made thirteen plus two UDFAs for third team makes fifteen.

There are four guys with outside experience for Garrett to compete with. There are five guys with inside experience including two who can play Center. Denver will keep at least eight maybe nine and probably not ten. The Broncos had most of what was needed for the O-Line before the Draft except for a Left Tackle prospect which is where Bolles comes in.

Galactic?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

CP's for using "galactic" in a (non-scifi, non-astronomical) thread title.

Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

I'm in the boat that a new offensive line coach will improve the team more then drafting a bunch of late round off line guys

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    I'm in the boat that a new offensive line coach will improve the team more then drafting a bunch of late round off line guys
    After the last few seasons I have to share your optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    He's a former Bronco who played with Elway. The offensive coaching staff has four former NFL OCs. The offensive coaches have worked together before. Seems like a tight group who have been on the same page from day one.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Seems like LT is Bolles' to lose, likewise with Watson at RT. Leary and Paradis are locks at LG and C.

RG is anyone's guess. Schofield started all 16 games there last season - Billy Turner saw time there also. Then there's the possibility of Garcia moving from LG to RG, or Stephenson even sliding inside. Sambrailo was pencilled in to start there before the injury he suffered in camp before last season started, so I guess he can't be ruled out, either. There was all the 'starting right guard' hype after McGovern was drafted, maybe that finally comes true? Dillon Day perhaps? Maybe one of the UDFAs shines? Who knows?

If you go to the 2017 Draft Thread on this Message Board, and go to the messages that were Posted before and just after Denver Drafted Bolles, you will see countless Posts to the affect that Denver should never have Drafted Bolles. Many Posts claiming they were going to throw a brick through their TV screen. Evidently, there are a lot of people who believed that we should never have spent the 1st Round Pick on the OL, and that we should have addressed the Offensive Line in later Rounds, or not at all.

I'm just glad we have John Elway in charge of making those decisions, and not the "fans". Especially when you consider how the Broncos have ignored the position with top picks in earlier Drafts, and how few quality offensive linemen were available this year.
    Last edited by gtown53; 05-02-2017 at 01:14 PM.