Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red Miller is newest member of Broncos Ring of Fame

The first playoff appearance.

The first divisional title.

The first postseason win.

The first Super Bowl appearance.

The first back-to-back divisional titles.

The first three consecutive playoff seasons.

As Andrew Mason pointed out in his story, the Denver Broncos witnessed a lot of firsts under the guidance of Red Miller. For those accomplishments and what he meant to the franchise, Miller is the 32nd member to get inducted in the Broncos Ring of Fame. The news was first announced by Mason.

Miller joins Dan Reeves as the only head coaches to have their names on the facade at Mile High Stadium and busts in Monument Plaza on the south-side of the stadium. Miller was inducted by the Ring of Fame committee that is comprised of president and CEO Joe Ellis; former Broncos general manager John Beake; former Broncos assistant head coach/defense Joe Collier; former Broncos wide receiver and current radio play-by-play announcer Dave Logan; Broncos historian Jim Saccomano; and former Broncos radio play-by-play announcer Larry Zimmer.

Miller will be inducted in the Ring of Fame at halftime of a yet-to-announced game this season. He turns 90 this fall, and was wondering if he would ever get the news.

“Hearing that great news from Joe and the rest of the committee brought back so many memories from those special seasons with the Broncos,” Miller said in a release from the Broncos. “Looking back, it was a ragtag operation with where we were at the time. We had to build it up and get it going. All of our players and coaches carried us to a lot of success and brought so much excitement to the fans during those years. I’m honored to join the Broncos’ all-time greats in the Ring of Fame, and I look forward to celebrating with the many people who helped make this possible.”

As the release from the Broncos said, hired as the eighth head coach in Broncos history on Feb. 1, 1977, Miller compiled a 40-22 (.645) regular-season record and a 2-3 (.400) playoff mark from 1977-80. He never had a losing record in his four seasons in Denver, tying for the fourth-most regular-season wins (40) in the NFL during his tenure. That figure ranks fourth in Broncos history.

The release added that Miller’s 1977 squad posted a 12-2 record and won Denver’s first AFC West title, finally wrestling it away from the defending Super Bowl-champion Oakland Raiders. After earning their first-ever playoff berth, the Broncos went on to beat the Raiders in the AFC Championship Game and advanced to their first Super Bowl.

“When you talk to the players and coaches from that period, they’ll tell you how Red pushed those teams, led by the historic Orange Crush defense, to a championship level,” Ellis said in the release. “On behalf of owner Pat Bowlen and our entire organization, we congratulate coach Miller and look forward to honoring him as the newest member of the Denver Broncos Ring of Fame.”

When you look at the tradition the Broncos have had and continue to hold, it started with Miller. It was one of many firsts he helped usher in for this historic franchise, and it’s a main reason he gets his rightful place in the Ring of Fame.

Mile High Salute to Red Miller on this awesome feat.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/5...s-ring-of-fame
    2016 Adopted Bronco-TJ Ward

Wow, good for him. Nice to see him get recognition from the team for younger fans to learn about and appreciate.

They got video from Vance Joseph and Joe Ellis talking to Red Miller on the front page and on twitter
    2016 Adopted Bronco-TJ Ward

Congratulations, Coach Miller!

I'm glad he gets to enjoy it. Must be a great feeling for him.

I wonder why it took so long?
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Long overdo. I've talked to a few Broncos from that era and asked them who was a better coach, Red or Dan Reeves? All 3 said Red was.

Well earned and deserved.

Congrats Red Miller!

It's about gosh darned time.

Well deserved, finally!
    I've always wondered what might have happened If Red were still HC when we got Elway? Reeves was a fine HC in his own right but he was a little conservative.

Red Miller used to have the highest winning % among Bronco head coaches, but since Fox and Kubiak, he is probably second or third now. He was also the head coach of the Denver Gold USFL team. It's good to have him in the Ring of Fame.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Well deserved...even though Red was before my time as a Bronco fan, living in the SF bay area I recall their ascension from the AFC West cellar to the penthouse and being around a lot of very angry raider fans! What I found really cool about the story is that Joe Collier is on the voting committee. I like Wade Phillips a lot but Joe Collier will always be my favorite DC of all time...including all teams. I'll never forget the sight of him wandering the sidelines, scowling with that clipboard stuck down the front of his pants
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

He took over after John Ralston, and got the Broncos over the hump. For those of us old enough to remember the years leading up to this accomplishment, what Red Miller did eased a lot of suffering by loyal Broncos fans.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    He took over after John Ralston, and got the Broncos over the hump. For those of us old enough to remember the years leading up to this accomplishment, what Red Miller did eased a lot of suffering by loyal Broncos fans.
    They defeated the Raiders in the AFCCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Well deserved...even though Red was before my time as a Bronco fan, living in the SF bay area I recall their ascension from the AFC West cellar to the penthouse and being around a lot of very angry raider fans! What I found really cool about the story is that Joe Collier is on the voting committee. I like Wade Phillips a lot but Joe Collier will always be my favorite DC of all time...including all teams. I'll never forget the sight of him wandering the sidelines, scowling with that clipboard stuck down the front of his pants
    Joe Collier deserves to be in the ROF. How could they not put the architect of the Orange Crush in the ring?

Quote Originally Posted by qbronco View Post
    Joe Collier deserves to be in the ROF. How could they not put the architect of the Orange Crush in the ring?
    Yes, Joe Collier is a true innovator in the game of football for his adaptation of the Oklahoma 50 D into the 3-4 D of the NFL. He's on the selection committee and I don't know how that would affect his selection. He should be in the ROF.

I was born here in Denver and have always lived here but ... I was not a Bronco fan when Red Miller was the HC. I do think he deserves to be in the Ring of Fame; not sure why it took so long?

I was a John Madden fan then.