Ancestry Results Are In!

The kids bought me an AncestryDNA kit for Christmas. I sent it out a little late, but it still took over 2 months to get the results. I am sure this has become a very profitable business, and is likely growing at an accelerated rate.

But in they came, and definitely interesting at that!

Now, this is based on varying degrees of scientific confidence, so some generalities are to be expected as well as some chance that details are a little inaccurate. But where there was a high level of confidence in the results I learned something quite surprising:

I knew I was primarily of Italian ancestry, but as it turns out, only about 70%. Still high, but I expected it to be closer to 90%. Whereas it appears I am close to 20% rooted in Great Britain! Did not see that coming, nor did I expect some potential roots in the remaining 10% or so. Mind you, the remaining 10% is a mix of a number of potential roots, but each of which is of a very low %. But at least one of them has me puzzled as well. As I say, the low % and lower confidence levels are not cause to get too excited one way or the other.

My wife is currently awaiting her results, and it will be fun to see what the kids' results are, when they try it out. Same interest would be if my siblings also received these results.

Now that I just received the report, I may want to explore some of the family tree aspects. One thing might be fun is to send a message to those folks that Ancestry deem "highly likely" to be related to me, in the form of 3rd or 4th cousins.

You folks gone thru the process? If so, any surprises?

Sounds like a really interesting thing to do.
    Any Welsh blood in that 20% Brit portion i wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Sounds like a really interesting thing to do.
    Any Welsh blood in that 20% Brit portion i wonder.
    Hey Jawsie! It does not break down Great Britain further than England, Scotland and Wales.....so the chances are reasonable that we have some common ancestry. Pretty cool stuff!

I had several surprises. My dad is 3/4 Italian- Sicilian to be exact. I ended up with less than 3% Italian.
    I ended up with a Ton of British- no clue there.
    I had a bunch of Irish- to be expected along with Dutch and Norwegian

I also had 7% Caucasus. WTH? No clue how this got in the fam tree, let alone beat out my Italian when we know my dad is like 73%
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I had several surprises. My dad is 3/4 Italian- Sicilian to be exact. I ended up with less than 3% Italian.
    I ended up with a Ton of British- no clue there.
    I had a bunch of Irish- to be expected along with Dutch and Norwegian

I also had 7% Caucasus. WTH? No clue how this got in the fam tree, let alone beat out my Italian when we know my dad is like 73%
    Now you make me wonder more. But now that I read your response, maybe we are related!!!! Wouldn't that be a laugh. I can see it now:

BCMB - A Place for Broncos talk, and family trees

Must have been exciting for you Can! Glad you know for sure and no more speculation. I should get one of those. I was adopted at birth and have no idea what the hell my heritage is. For all I know I could be Swiss-Vietnamese, or Polish-Eskimo, or Irish-Sasquatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Must have been exciting for you Can! Glad you know for sure and no more speculation. I should get one of those. I was adopted at birth and have no idea what the hell my heritage is. For all I know I could be Swiss-Vietnamese, or Polish-Eskimo, or Irish-Sasquatch.
    It was exciting, when you finally see the results email come in! But I was a little surprised at the info at first. Mind you, this apparently goes "waaaaay back", so we would not know our roots by just talking to our parents, grand parents, or ggparents. Sadly, it's been a while since any of them have been down here, in my life, but hey, that's the circle of life.

Being adopted makes me think you should really go for it!

But hey, all that matters is that you are what you are, and you seem like a really good person!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Now you make me wonder more. But now that I read your response, maybe we are related!!!! Wouldn't that be a laugh. I can see it now:

BCMB - A Place for Broncos talk, and family trees

AHahhaha. We probably are. Must be why you are so smart and devilishly handsome.

Peanut- as they explained it in results thing, as to how I understood it, the genes we get are mostly at random. Nature does it to keep the gene line stable. Kind of like every now and then nature will have brown hamsters spit out a black one. Because the black hamster stands out very clearly against the sand it usually is eaten and dies quickly. However, every now and then when the brown hamsters spit out a black one, a Volcano erupts and all of the lava that has hardened and changed the environment is now the same color. So the black one survives and all of the brown ones are now standing out and not blending in. So, I received a bunch of random genes that happened to make me (the black hamster if you will-compared to my dad anyway) quite a bit different from my dads Italian.......That or my mom pulled a fast one on my dad, lol. Dont think that is actually the case, I look like my dad, but we joke about it now. My mom is no longer here so we cannot find out what her side holds.
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    AHahhaha. We probably are. Must be why you are so smart and devilishly handsome.

Peanut- as they explained it in results thing, as to how I understood it, the genes we get are mostly at random. Nature does it to keep the gene line stable. Kind of like every now and then nature will have brown hamsters spit out a black one. Because the black hamster stands out very clearly against the sand it usually is eaten and dies quickly. However, every now and then when the brown hamsters spit out a black one, a Volcano erupts and all of the lava that has hardened and changed the environment is now the same color. So the black one survives and all of the brown ones are now standing out and not blending in. So, I received a bunch of random genes that happened to make me (the black hamster if you will-compared to my dad anyway) quite a bit different from my dads Italian.......That or my mom pulled a fast one on my dad, lol. Dont think that is actually the case, I look like my dad, but we joke about it now. My mom is no longer here so we cannot find out what her side holds.
    I think you got the "devil" part nailed!!!