Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Did Simms ever start a game in Denver? I honestly can't remember if he did.
    Yes, one on 11/22/2009. IIRC Orton was gimpy and had to come off the bench at the end of the 2nd quarter. Broncos lost at home to the Chargers 3-32.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Yes, one on 11/22/2009. IIRC Orton was gimpy and had to come off the bench at the end of the 2nd quarter. Broncos lost at home to the Chargers 3-32.
    Yep, I looked it up after I posted. He came in in relief of Orton @ Washington and was 3/13 for less than 30 yards. And then started against the Chargers and was 2/4 for less than 30 yards.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Yep, I looked it up after I posted. He came in in relief of Orton @ Washington and was 3/13 for less than 30 yards. And then started against the Chargers and was 2/4 for less than 30 yards.
    I remember watching Simms play QB-- it was awful. He was a lefty and under-threw everything.It was like the entire offense was upside down.

Lets just say it was a terrible event at the time, and one I'd sooner forget.

I was excited when Cutler took over, because he seemed to have this rifle of an arm, and lots of confidence. I still remember how he was mentioned prior to his draft as maybe the best potential QB in the pack, even though he was not ranked that way by most of the experts in terms of draft ranking.

As it turns out, some of his best football happened in his early days here.....and since, he has hardly improved. But he did show some negative signs here, including a sometimes confusing attitude, and a propensity to throw balls into very, very tight windows. A true gunslinger, but perhaps one with little respect for the consequences thereof.

But that whole fiasco with McDaniels was strange on both sides. I even remember stating that, "not to worry", it would work itself out. And even though he left in a very unprofessional way, I was disappointed that a deal could not have been reached. As for Orton, I was not impressed with the trade. We basically lost a potential rising star QB for someone with unexciting skill, plus some decent draft picks. BUT, the picks are not a guarantee, and starting QBs are critical to team success. it was a tough pill.

But until now, I have never found the desire to want him to win. He ticked me off, the way he left town. And his career has been mediocre in Chicago. Hardly improved. Confusing attitude. Question marks.

But when I listen to him, I do not dislike the man. And some will chew me out for this, but I would have accepted him back even now, if the right deal could be made. I know, sounds crazy. But the dude can wing it!

Anyway....other than not forgiving him easily for his departure from Denver, I wish him well. Down deep I was disappointed for some time, until we signed Manning, because you do not lose starting QBs with big arms without a fight.

In the end, not sure how to rate the trade. No big winner, that's for sure. But we have made 2 SB visits, and won 1 since, so it worked out pretty good!
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-07-2017 at 04:19 PM.

In terms of the trade I can say we lost more. We had the opportunity to draft some quality players and we blew that. The staff that was here for the trade lead the team to one of the worst records in franchise history and got fired. We have had recent success but no credit to that trade or previous leadership that was here. Bears didn't make out much better but cutler did outlast mcd and he last significantly longer than the other QBs drafted before him in his class and with a better attitude he would be still be playing.

it was Cutler for DT. It was a good trade for Denver.

I feel two ways.

1- In the grand scheme of things, it was a wash. Chicago never really went anywhere with Cutler. And we never really went anywhere for the first few years after the trade of Cutler. You can boil it down to if keeping Cutler would have ultimately prevented us from obtaining Peyton Manning. But eitherway, what we received and what they received is about even in value when it comes to Lombardi Trophies. And that's what the point is all about. Right?

2- I feel a bit of dormant rage because I feel like if McDaniel's would have just come in and not messed with the offense that Shanahan had put together. we may have been special. Cutler wasn't a leader of any sort but that team had a lot of firepower, and a darn decent O-line with Clady at his peak. I think this team could have won a lot of games and maybe competed in the playoffs if Josh had just focused on what he's good at (offensive playcalling)
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

Quote Originally Posted by Strip Sacked View Post
    I feel a bit of dormant rage because I feel like if McDaniel's would have just come in and not messed with the offense that Shanahan had put together. we may have been special. Cutler wasn't a leader of any sort but that team had a lot of firepower, and a darn decent O-line with Clady at his peak. I think this team could have won a lot of games and maybe competed in the playoffs if Josh had just focused on what he's good at (offensive playcalling)
    The old saying is "if its and buts were candy and nuts, we'd have a merry Christmas". McDoofus was what he was--an immature tyrant unfit to be a leader of a team. It was a mistake to hire him, and especially to give him so much power.

The whole McDaniels Cutler thing proved that their is a light at the end of the tunnel and those years were pretty dark

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis