• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam_Z
    Banned User
    • Dec 2004

Jamaal Charles, would had taken a pay cut

Kansas City, Jamaal Charles can't play anymore.
    Wow the team that knows him best doesn't believe he can play pro football anymore. The same was said about Peyton Manning until he put together the best season of his career and later went on to win another Super Bowl! What do you fellas think?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/5/5/15556022/jamaal-charles-said-he-wouldve-taken-a-pay-cut-had-the-chiefs-offered
    Originally posted by ArrowHeadPride
    Former Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles joined a podcast to talk about his exit from Kansas City as well as signing with the Denver Broncos.

After listening to the podcast, I do believe it stung Jamaal a little bit that Chiefs fans took his comments the way that they did. I also believe he was hurt that the Chiefs cut him. He said it wasn’t personal but it sure sounds like it was personal. Jamaal pointed out he didn’t ask for a trade, it was the Chiefs decision to cut him.

He even said he would’ve taken a pay cut ... had the Chiefs offered it. That’s what will anger some Chiefs fans who saw CJ Spiller get essentially the same deal that Denver gave Jamaal. There’s a report that the Chiefs doctors wanted him to retire and now they didn’t even offer him a pay cut. To me, that sounds like the Chiefs think he’s done. (I would also point out no guaranteed money from Denver)

There’s one way to find out whether he’s done and that will come in September. This story line will continue with Jamaal’s 2017 season.

Listen to the podcast here. A few quotes below (questions are paraphrased).

What did it feel like to get the call from the Chiefs they were going to cut you?

Jamaal: “I thought maybe they would give me a grace period. But I hadn’t performed the last two years. At the same time, I knew it was about business. I think it was cool if they came to me about a pay cut because I think I would’ve taken that pay cut because I think I owed it to them for allowing me to be on the team. When I got that call, it was like, man, it was just one of those things like, OK, man. If it can happen to Peyton Manning it came happen to anybody.”

New Orleans Saints v Kansas City Chiefs
    Photo by Jason Hanna/Getty Images
    The 10 stages of watching Jamaal sign with the Broncos
    Larry Johnson returns to KC sports talk radio
    How did you take the reality that you didn’t have a job anymore?

Jamaal: “I felt like I was free. I ain’t gonna lie. I felt like I was free. I felt like I was a free person. That’s when reality started kicking in about me not having a team as well.”

What was life like without football?

Jamaal: “It was hard when your kids are talking to you like when are you going to work. They fell in love with the Chiefs too so it hit them that I wasn’t with the Chiefs anymore.”

On the reports that he was at odds with the Chiefs:

Jamaal: “It wasn’t personal to me because I did a lot for the city. I’ve been here nine years. It’s not personal to me. I felt like it was more personal to the Chiefs than to me. Them letting me go, I love this community. I did a lot. I sweat, bleed, two ACLs, meniscus, I left that all out in Kansas City. My heart will always be in Kansas City. It’s nothing personal. I’m excited for the next chapter. I had no choice. It’s not like I asked for a trade. They let me go. At the end of the day, I will always love the Hunt family and the organization. They’re first class.”
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-08-2017, 06:35 AM.
  • EddieMac
    Canuck Mod, eh!
    • Feb 2004

At least he said the right things....be classy, thank everyone, and then move on...

I hope we get a manning type st injury season out of him....but somehow I doubt it
    sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
      Banned User
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
      At least he said the right things....be classy, thank everyone, and then move on...

I hope we get a manning type st injury season out of him....but somehow I doubt it
      I think it all depends on how the Broncos utilize him and how much they use him. But I do know that with him coming out and saying he would've taken a pay cut, a lot of Kansas City fans are going to be infuriated.

Comment

• TommyBrady12
        Practice Squad
        • Jan 2014

He says he would have taken a pay cut after the fact, but we don't know for sure.
        Super Bowl Wins: Brady - 6 Elway - 2 Manning - 2 (played well in none and took HGH)

Comment

• Sam_Z
          Banned User
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
          He says he would have taken a pay cut after the fact, but we don't know for sure.
          Why would he say it "after the fact" then?

Comment

• baphamet
            Family Trust Beer
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
            Wow the team that knows him best doesn't believe he can play pro football anymore. The same was said about Peyton Manning until he put together the best season of his career and later went on to win another Super Bowl! What do you fellas think?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/5...chiefs-offered
            it's not the same as the manning situation, they knew they had already won the "suck for luck" lottery and were ready to move on from manning. also, if you are not highly concerned about charles' knee, you are being delusional.

i think he can still play at a high level if he can get his knee right and stay that way but it's a huge concern, otherwise teams would not have all passed on him.

another difference between this and the manning signing, multiple teams were throwing big money at manning trying to lure him there, at least one team offered him more than the broncos did.

good luck though, if charles can stay healthy he is definitely an upgrade for you, we will see.

Comment

• TommyBrady12
              Practice Squad
              • Jan 2014

Why would he say it "after the fact" then?
              To make KC feel bad and make himself look good.
              Super Bowl Wins: Brady - 6 Elway - 2 Manning - 2 (played well in none and took HGH)

Comment

• Sam_Z
                Banned User
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
                To make KC feel bad and make himself look good.
                you really think he is that type of person?

Comment

• TommyBrady12
                  Practice Squad
                  • Jan 2014

you really think he is that type of person?
                  I don't know. That's why I said we have no way of knowing.

Comment

• Axemaster
                    Special Teams
                    • Jan 2009

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/5...chiefs-offered
                    The only thing I have to disagree with you is, Manning didn't just have the best season of his career, he had the best season by a QB in the History of the NFL!!! I think Charles will make KC regret letting him go, and will stay healthy. He doesn't have to be a 25 plus carry per game Running Back now!.
                    sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

• Sam_Z
                      Banned User
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post
                      The only thing I have to disagree with you is, Manning didn't just have the best season of his career, he had the best season by a QB in the History of the NFL!!! I think Charles will make KC regret letting him go, and will stay healthy. He doesn't have to be a 25 plus carry per game Running Back now!.
                      No he doesn't have to be and that is the beauty of it. I'm thinking he will be more of a pass catching rb out of the backfield more than taking the handoff.Mike McCoy is going to have a lot of option with Jamaal Charles if he truly is healthy and right now im giving him the benefit of the doubt!

Comment

Working...
                      X