Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Blount

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412

    Blount

    I know we already have a nice stable of running backs. But I seen that if Blount doesn't sign with another team by July 22nd that the pats own his rights until week 10 and he has to play for 1.2 million.. so if mid July roll around and he's not signed why not sign him for 1.5-1.7? It's cheap and it weakens one of our biggest opponents and gives us a major insurance policy if CJ and Jamaal go down.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,120
    Heard this being discussed on the radio yesterday. Once again the Pats are riding that thin line of being the smartest team to being a bunch of scumbags for flaunting the system at Blount's expense.

    A couple of ex-players were pretty critical of the use of this rule to limit Blount's options. Both had never seen the obscure rules used in this manner. Have to wonder how this will play with other players around the league or if the Pats even care.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,336
    I think he rather not play than for a mill or two. Crazy that a power back coming off an 18 td season cant find work. I'm glad the raiders were not smart enough to replace murry with Blount. I wouldn't mind him here but that's really crowded.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,411
    Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I think he rather not play than for a mill or two. Crazy that a power back coming off an 18 td season cant find work. I'm glad the raiders were not smart enough to replace murry with Blount. I wouldn't mind him here but that's really crowded.
    I would have preferred Blount over Charles to be honest

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    El Paso, Tx
    Posts
    1,621
    I almost feel bad for Blount. The Patriots royally screwed him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    I almost feel bad for Blount. The Patriots royally screwed him.
    Me too. Teams have been using him since he started playing. First in Scooba, then in Oregon. Now in NE.

    Hooray, beer!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I would have preferred Blount over Charles to be honest
    Players that leave NE almost always see a big decline in effectiveness when leaving that system. Blount is a mediocre back who benefited from D's playing Brady........ not really a surprise to me that he can't find a team.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,693
    Never been that impressed with him.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    I almost feel bad for Blount. The Patriots royally screwed him.
    Pats have no conscience. But I am not feeling too bad for Blount. Remember how he screwed over the Steelers when he quit on the team only to re-sign almost immediately with the Pats.

    Going to be interesting to see if this will be another case of the Pats skirting the intention of rules on a technicality and the rule immediately gets changed to close the loophole. Can not imagine the NFLPA is too thrilled with this royal shaft that Blount is getting.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by NVthosebroncos View Post
    I know we already have a nice stable of running backs. But I seen that if Blount doesn't sign with another team by July 22nd that the pats own his rights until week 10 and he has to play for 1.2 million.. so if mid July roll around and he's not signed why not sign him for 1.5-1.7? It's cheap and it weakens one of our biggest opponents and gives us a major insurance policy if CJ and Jamaal go down.
    There's one main reason I wouldn't sign him. Last time he was away from New England (when he signed in Pittsburgh) he decided he didn't like it and got himself cut so that he could re-sign in New England. He left a game with time still on the clock because he wasn't getting enough touches.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Heard this being discussed on the radio yesterday. Once again the Pats are riding that thin line of being the smartest team to being a bunch of scumbags for flaunting the system at Blount's expense.

    A couple of ex-players were pretty critical of the use of this rule to limit Blount's options. Both had never seen the obscure rules used in this manner. Have to wonder how this will play with other players around the league or if the Pats even care.

    They didn't limit his options that much (unless he doesn't sign by July 22nd) they just left the door open for themselves to get a comp pick. However with them losing very little, signing Stephen Gilmore and Blount likely not signing for much of a contract at this point, they won't get much of a comp pick from him.

    However having said that, after he decided to quit on Pittsburgh so he could go back to New England, I have no sympathy for New England now doing this to him.

    EDIT: Didn't see the post where you mentioned the Pittsburgh incident until after I submitted this.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    7,291
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I would have preferred Blount over Charles to be honest
    I thought the same thing but then I asked myself, could Blount play WR out of the back field as well as Charles if remotely healthy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    7,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    There's one main reason I wouldn't sign him. Last time he was away from New England (when he signed in Pittsburgh) he decided he didn't like it and got himself cut so that he could re-sign in New England. He left a game with time still on the clock because he wasn't getting enough touches.
    This is true, kind of reminiscent of Eddie Quitison I mean Kennison.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    He signed with the Eagles anyways.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •