Thread: Blount

Blount

I know we already have a nice stable of running backs. But I seen that if Blount doesn't sign with another team by July 22nd that the pats own his rights until week 10 and he has to play for 1.2 million.. so if mid July roll around and he's not signed why not sign him for 1.5-1.7? It's cheap and it weakens one of our biggest opponents and gives us a major insurance policy if CJ and Jamaal go down.

Heard this being discussed on the radio yesterday. Once again the Pats are riding that thin line of being the smartest team to being a bunch of scumbags for flaunting the system at Blount's expense.

A couple of ex-players were pretty critical of the use of this rule to limit Blount's options. Both had never seen the obscure rules used in this manner. Have to wonder how this will play with other players around the league or if the Pats even care.

I think he rather not play than for a mill or two. Crazy that a power back coming off an 18 td season cant find work. I'm glad the raiders were not smart enough to replace murry with Blount. I wouldn't mind him here but that's really crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I think he rather not play than for a mill or two. Crazy that a power back coming off an 18 td season cant find work. I'm glad the raiders were not smart enough to replace murry with Blount. I wouldn't mind him here but that's really crowded.
    I would have preferred Blount over Charles to be honest

I almost feel bad for Blount. The Patriots royally screwed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    Me too. Teams have been using him since he started playing. First in Scooba, then in Oregon. Now in NE.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Players that leave NE almost always see a big decline in effectiveness when leaving that system. Blount is a mediocre back who benefited from D's playing Brady........ not really a surprise to me that he can't find a team.

Never been that impressed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    Pats have no conscience. But I am not feeling too bad for Blount. Remember how he screwed over the Steelers when he quit on the team only to re-sign almost immediately with the Pats.

Going to be interesting to see if this will be another case of the Pats skirting the intention of rules on a technicality and the rule immediately gets changed to close the loophole. Can not imagine the NFLPA is too thrilled with this royal shaft that Blount is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by NVthosebroncos View Post
    I know we already have a nice stable of running backs. But I seen that if Blount doesn't sign with another team by July 22nd that the pats own his rights until week 10 and he has to play for 1.2 million.. so if mid July roll around and he's not signed why not sign him for 1.5-1.7? It's cheap and it weakens one of our biggest opponents and gives us a major insurance policy if CJ and Jamaal go down.
    There's one main reason I wouldn't sign him. Last time he was away from New England (when he signed in Pittsburgh) he decided he didn't like it and got himself cut so that he could re-sign in New England. He left a game with time still on the clock because he wasn't getting enough touches.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Heard this being discussed on the radio yesterday. Once again the Pats are riding that thin line of being the smartest team to being a bunch of scumbags for flaunting the system at Blount's expense.

A couple of ex-players were pretty critical of the use of this rule to limit Blount's options. Both had never seen the obscure rules used in this manner. Have to wonder how this will play with other players around the league or if the Pats even care.

They didn't limit his options that much (unless he doesn't sign by July 22nd) they just left the door open for themselves to get a comp pick. However with them losing very little, signing Stephen Gilmore and Blount likely not signing for much of a contract at this point, they won't get much of a comp pick from him.

However having said that, after he decided to quit on Pittsburgh so he could go back to New England, I have no sympathy for New England now doing this to him.

EDIT: Didn't see the post where you mentioned the Pittsburgh incident until after I submitted this.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I thought the same thing but then I asked myself, could Blount play WR out of the back field as well as Charles if remotely healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    There's one main reason I wouldn't sign him. Last time he was away from New England (when he signed in Pittsburgh) he decided he didn't like it and got himself cut so that he could re-sign in New England. He left a game with time still on the clock because he wasn't getting enough touches.
    This is true, kind of reminiscent of Eddie Quitison I mean Kennison.

He signed with the Eagles anyways.