Ronald Leary: Everyone on Broncos offensive line needs to be pushed more

Quote Originally Posted by profootballtalk
    Guard Ronald Leary made the jump from the Cowboys to the Broncos as a free agent this offseason, which meant he went from being a part of the top offensive line in the league to joining one that ranked at the bottom during the 2016 season.

Leary is not the only new addition in Denver. They signed tackle Menelik Watson, drafted tackle Garrett Bolles in the first round and hired Jeff Davidson as the new offensive line coach as other parts of their effort to improve in 2017.
    He is the only one coming from Dallas, however, and he shared some of his thoughts Tuesday about what needs to happen for the Broncos line to produce different results.
    “I just try to lead by example,” Leary said in comments distributed by the team. “I talk a little bit, but I just like to work hard and try to do everything to the best of my ability. I think they see that — they already had it. It’s not like that this o-line was just missing. Everybody just needs to be pushed more and just work harder and that’s what we’re trying to do as a group. It’s not an individual thing, it’s always as a group on everything with the o-line. We’re just going to try to get that mentality that we’re physical, that we don’t take anything from anybody. I think once we develop that in the offseason, it will carry over to the season.”
    No one’s expecting the Broncos to have a group that will rival the one the Cowboys put together, but the improvement doesn’t need to be that dramatic to lift the offense enough to do its part to support the defense in a bid to return to the playoffs.
    <a href=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/SjZJ24/media/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/SjZJ24/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg target=_blank>http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse4zwvw5r.jpg</a></a>
    Special thanks to those who have CP'ed me, I'll get ya back

Appears Leary is already taking on a leadership role. I like that. Anything he says or does which leads to improvement will certainly be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by qbronco View Post
    Appears Leary is already taking on a leadership role. I like that. Anything he says or does which leads to improvement will certainly be welcomed.
    He's the guy.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Love the leadership. Also, he had great things to say about Bolles immersing himself in the playbook. I remember at this point last year I was extremely excited about our line's "upgrade", but I was tremendously let down. So I'm gonna say I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by qbronco View Post
    I like his mentality of being physical and not taking nothing off anyone. That's something Bolles brings to the table. This line needs a little nasty because we took plenty off people last year and got pushed around bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I like his mentality of being physical and not taking nothing off anyone. That's something Bolles brings to the table. This line needs a little nasty because we took plenty off people last year and got pushed around bad.
    I really hope they bring that stout mentality to third down situations.

Sounds like there will be a lot of angle blocking in the rushing attack. If you want to physically challenge a defensive front, firing out and smacking them in the mouth is the way to do it. Zone blocking can challenge the conditioning of a defensive front, but it doesn't punish them especially at POA like angle blocking does.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Kinda interesting what happens when you get another player from a top notch group. The other guys around want to know how to accomplish that too. Leary loves to work hard and be physical. That is the mentality that the Cowboys have, and the Raiders from what Watson experienced too. O-linemen can be super nice guys off the field, but on the field they have to able to look the man across from and tell him" I will plant your backside in the earth on every play" and mean it. OL/DL is not a finesse position. I love what I am hear so far from these guys.

In one of the more candid interviews during the draft a leading pass rusher called him the toughest he ever went against. He also called him something I don't think I can print but basically, not a nice person.
    My adopted Bronco is Floyd "The Franchise" Little

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Kinda interesting what happens when you get another player from a top notch group. The other guys around want to know how to accomplish that too. Leary loves to work hard and be physical. That is the mentality that the Cowboys have, and the Raiders from what Watson experienced too. O-linemen can be super nice guys off the field, but on the field they have to able to look the man across from and tell him" I will plant your backside in the earth on every play" and mean it. OL/DL is not a finesse position. I love what I am hear so far from these guys.
    Leary was easily my favorite pickup of the offseason and hearing that he's being so vocal a leader already, that just makes me love it even more.