Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I hear during the draft that Walker is quick enough to on passing downs move inside. If this is true, Gotsis and him may play at the same time! Never know.

As a 4-3 set up?

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    As a 4-3 set up?
    The Broncos do already play a modified 4-3 under defense. And on passing downs they'll go into nickel and dime defenses where they move to a 4 man front and remove linebackers and big defensive tackles.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The Broncos do already play a modified 4-3 under defense. And on passing downs they'll go into nickel and dime defenses where they move to a 4 man front and remove linebackers and big defensive tackles.
    touche - i stand corrected. We advertise a 3-4 but are often in nickel.

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that it's an odd front with the 0 tech Aggied to a tight side 1, split side 4/5 Eagled to a 3 with the OLB on that side at LOS in a 5.

It's the same front NE used against the Broncos in the 2011 playoffs.

In the terminology with which I am familiar, Over is a shift to the strong side and Under is a shift to the weak side based on a strength call. Is that your understanding, too?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Domata Peko and the other D-linemen are calling Gotsis "Little Wolfe".

That's an improvement, I guess.

Last season, opposing O-linemen called him "Little Sheep".
    Glad to see Gotsis took Kollar's words to heart. Hopefully, after drafting Walker the next 3 months he goes even harder. Wolfe was lightyears ahead of Gotsis technique wise, so Im not ready to be too excited yet.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    That's one way of looking at it. Another is that it's an odd front with the 0 tech Aggied to a tight side 1, split side 4/5 Eagled to a 3 with the OLB on that side at LOS in a 5.

Such an oasis of knowledge.. Much respect dear Sam.
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

Quote Originally Posted by Strip Sacked View Post
    Such an oasis of knowledge.. Much respect dear Sam.
    agreed, the knowledge on here from posters is absolutely amazing. I love learning on here.

is it just me or does Demarcs Walker display some Brandon Williams types moves running side to side in pursuit?
    <a href=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/SjZJ24/media/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/SjZJ24/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg target=_blank>http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse4zwvw5r.jpg</a></a>
    Special thanks to those who have CP'ed me, I'll get ya back

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post

In the terminology with which I am familiar, Over is a shift to the strong side and Under is a shift to the weak side based on a strength call. Is that your understanding, too?
    To me, it's an under front because the Nose is playing a 1 tech on the strong side. 2/3 tech is on the weak side. Normally a 3 tech would be on the strong side, 1 tech on the weak side. Strong side backer (Miller) is walked up.

The differences between this 3-4 under (Which Phillips has described his defense as) and a 4-3 under seem to be in semantics. The players are lined up in the exact same techniques, however in Phillips' 3-4 under it seems to be called that because there are 3 linemen in 3 point stances and a 4th they call their "weak side backer" who is essentially a stand up end.

As I mentioned though, the Broncos will play more than half of their downs in nickel and dime defenses, which means that they're either a 4-2-5 or 4-1-6 making the entire thing moot anyways.

I've said a few times that people get too caught up in the 4-3 v 3-4 debate when the actual debate (and what matters more) is 1 gap v 2 gap. That determines the size of players needed and what their responsibilities will be more than 4-3 v 3-4.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

To me, it's an under front because the Nose is playing a 1 tech on the strong side. 2/3 tech is on the weak side. Normally a 3 tech would be on the strong side, 1 tech on the weak side. Strong side backer (Miller) is walked up.

The differences between this 3-4 under (Which Phillips has described his defense as) and a 4-3 under seem to be in semantics. The players are lined up in the exact same techniques, however in Phillips' 3-4 under it seems to be called that because there are 3 linemen in 3 point stances and a 4th they call their "weak side backer" who is essentially a stand up end.

As I mentioned though, the Broncos will play more than half of their downs in nickel and dime defenses, which means that they're either a 4-2-5 or 4-1-6 making the entire thing moot anyways.

I've said a few times that people get too caught up in the 4-3 v 3-4 debate when the actual debate (and what matters more) is 1 gap v 2 gap. That determines the size of players needed and what their responsibilities will be more than 4-3 v 3-4.
    OK. So, even though it's an odd front Aggied/Eagled to the strong side, it ends up looking like an under shifted split front.

Another interesting aspect of Wade Phillips' defensive philosophy is sending five pass rushers and calling it regular where in most defenses it would be considered Blitz. He refers to it as Dog. He can probably do that because he's in Cover 1 a lot.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    gotsis looks huge.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    gotsis looks huge.
    Not only does he look huge. some would argue that he IS, in fact, huge

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Not only does he look huge. some would argue that he IS, in fact, huge
    Wow is he really that big? I heard Derek Wolfe put on 30 pounds of muscle and it looks like Adam Gotsis did the same thing right along with him. I haven't really been high to on Gotsis but after watching this interview and seeing the size of this guys arms and shoulders, I'm pretty optimistic now.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-23-2017 at 08:19 AM.