Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    Thoughts? He just got released a day ago and would be a huge upgrade over Max Garcia.
    When Orlando played in Denver, the run blocking was over half angle blocks. Max has played in an offense which is predominantly zone steps.

As a Right Tackle, Orlando delivered consistent, authoritative down blocks. When he was moved to Left Guard in 2014, he added pulling to his repertoire. He has remained at LG the past two seasons in San Diego.

The new offense and rushing attack coached by McCoy, Davidson, Studesville and Strausser has yet to be seen. Mike McCoy and Jeff Davidson know Orlando well. In the event he was signed by Denver, one might reasonably assume he would start somewhere on the O-Line with RG being a possibility. We haven't seen Max Garcia in the new offense yet, so if Franklin came to Denver and started at RG, it would be impossible to tell how much of an upgrade at that spot he might be, especially considering that Max played on the left last year.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    When Orlando played in Denver, the run blocking was over half angle blocks. Max has played in an offense which is predominantly zone steps.

As a Right Tackle, Orlando delivered consistent, authoritative down blocks. When he was moved to Left Guard in 2014, he added pulling to his repertoire. He has remained at LG the past two seasons in San Diego.

The new offense and rushing attack coached by McCoy, Davidson, Studesville and Strausser has yet to be seen. Mike McCoy and Jeff Davidson know Orlando well. In the event he was signed by Denver, one might reasonably assume he would start somewhere on the O-Line with RG being a possibility. We haven't seen Max Garcia in the new offense yet, so if Franklin came to Denver and started at RG, it would be impossible to tell how much of an upgrade at that spot he might be, especially considering that Max played on the left last year.
    In my opinion I don't see how Franklin could be an upgrade. I mean we really haven't seen Max Garcia in a power 5.

Not only that but isn't Connor McGovern a far better fit for this system than Orlando Franklin? Not to mention that we haven't seen Conner McGovern very much either he was such an odd picked last season coming into a zone blocking scheme but this scheme that Jeff Davidson brings to the table actually fits Connor McGovern strengths.

I for one am very excited to see what both Max Garcia and Connor McGovern can do in this power blocking system. I understand we need help along the offensive line still but I think we may already have some pretty good players as it stands right now.

I think if the Broncos were going to bring anyone else in, I would prefer they consider bringing in king Dunlap over Orlando Franklin because I think Garrett Bolles need some veteran competition to push him and I just don't see Ty Sambrailo being able to do that.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-16-2017 at 07:31 AM.

i think it would be a good pick up for the broncos if at the right price, that's the only place he has played well at and they could use him.

I'm all in....Chargers fan FOR LIFE!.......worse than getting the electric chair!

I'd rather invest that money in future contracts or sign a player like Daryl Washington and see what he has left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    In my opinion I don't see how Franklin could be an upgrade. I mean we really haven't seen Max Garcia in a power 5.

Not only that but isn't Connor McGovern a far better fit for this system than Orlando Franklin? Not to mention that we haven't seen Conner McGovern very much either he was such an odd picked last season coming into a zone blocking scheme but this scheme that Jeff Davidson brings to the table actually fits Connor McGovern strengths.

I for one am very excited to see what both Max Garcia and Connor McGovern can do in this power blocking system. I understand we need help along the offensive line still but I think we may already have some pretty good players as it stands right now.

I think if the Broncos were going to bring anyone else in, I would prefer they consider bringing in king Dunlap over Orlando Franklin because I think Garrett Bolles need some veteran competition to push him and I just don't see Ty Sambrailo being able to do that.
    Great feedback! Thank you everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

Orlando Franklin was Right Tackle in 2011 when Denver led the league in rushing. He was a great down blocker from that spot. When he moved to Left Guard, he proved he could pull opposite. Franklin hasn't played Right Guard, but his down blocking talent would come in handy at that position.

It's hard to say that Connor McGovern is a better fit for a system in which Orlando did very well. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Connor was inactive every game last year, so we haven't seen him play yet. The main question about Orlando is his pass blocking which is also a question about Max. We'll just need to wait and see if Connor can be one of the five, and how he looks on the field.

Garrett Bolles' run blocking at Utah was very impressive. I watched his game against UCLA and he drove his guy ten yards downfield and pancaked him several times. Utah scored a rushing TD on straight Counter Gap/GTO when Bolles and the Guard (Isaac Asiata, I think) pulled and cleared a hole in the middle. So, Bolles can move.

Word from Dove Valley is that Ty Sambrailo is healthy and has come in strong from offseason workouts. Even so, his game seems more suited to zone steps (with back side cut blocks) than down blocks and pulls, although his pass blocking might be good. It will be interesting to see how difficult he can make it for the coaches to decide on a starter.

We'll see what happens with Orlando Franklin. NFL teams are about as starved for O-Linemen as they are for QBs. Elway, McCoy and Davidson know him well, so their decision one way or another will be well informed. Cap space is a consideration.

Thank you, Sir.
    The real question is whether Franklin has resigned to re-sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    The real question is whether Franklin has resigned to re-sign.
    In 2015 Orlando Franklin did not re-sign with Denver and signed with San Diego. San Diego has released him, so if Denver signed him would it be a re-sign or just a signing? Re-sign usually applies to signing a new contract with one's existing team, doesn't it?

One wonders if Orlando has a preference, or if he has resigned himself to letting his agent handle it?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    He hasn't played RT in years and really wasn't great at it (see his wonderful superbowl performance...) I could see bringing him in at guard, but I'm not convinced he'd start at guard.
    I agree with you again entirely (strange how that's seeming to happen lately)

As much as I want to board the Orlando wagon, I just don't see it bearing a lot of fruit. Real life isn't madden. He hasn't played tackle in a while, and was on the decline while he was. We can put him at guard but we may have already improved upon what he could even bring to the table there as well.
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

I've always liked him
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

In all fairness to the poster we have seen Garcia at RG in his rookie season. He was being shuffled around to compensate for Vaz who was injured and/or coming off of injury. Now we have not seen Garcia in angle blocks as you've mentioned all that much. While it may be very premature to say the vast majority our drafts along the Oline have been sub par. Franklin as you've pointed out was on of the few aggressive bright spots we had on our team. I think it would be fair to think he'd be an upgrade at the guard position likely not at the RT spot though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    In all fairness to the poster we have seen Garcia at RG in his rookie season. He was being shuffled around to compensate for Vaz who was injured and/or coming off of injury. Now we have not seen Garcia in angle blocks as you've mentioned all that much. While it may be very premature to say the vast majority our drafts along the Oline have been sub par. Franklin as you've pointed out was on of the few aggressive bright spots we had on our team. I think it would be fair to think he'd be an upgrade at the guard position likely not at the RT spot though.
    It's all speculation. Last year's Right Tackles were Donald Stephenson and Ty Sambrailo. Orlando Franklin would probably be an upgrade over the way those two played RT last year. However, the last time Orlando played RT was 2013, and Sambrailo was clearly not recovered, strengthened and conditioned from injuries in 2015 and 2016.

There is a process to putting together an O-Line. Up until the pads and hats go on there is some stuff that can be done that mostly involves running around in shorts, but you really can't discover much until the hitting begins. The first day of that is the most exciting day of preseason practice because that's when you find out who is ready to go. Find the five, shuffle them to their best spots and start them. If something happens to one of them, bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary.

It's all speculation. Last year's Right Tackles were Donald Stephenson and Ty Sambrailo. Orlando Franklin would probably be an upgrade over the way those two played RT last year. However, the last time Orlando played RT was 2013, and Sambrailo was clearly not recovered, strengthened and conditioned from injuries in 2015 and 2016.

There is a process to putting together an O-Line. Up until the pads and hats go on there is some stuff that can be done that mostly involves running around in shorts, but you really can't discover much until the hitting begins. The first day of that is the most exciting day of preseason practice because that's when you find out who is ready to go. Find the five, shuffle them to their best spots and start them. If something happens to one of them, bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary.
    Right and part of my comment was based on the fact that the Chargers had some issues on the line last year and despite having Orlando there they still never moved him back to RT. So that to me indicates that a second team in the NFL feels that with the increase in speed in the NFL of pass rushers that Orlando is best suited as a nasty Guard who can down block and move surprisingly well for a large man. I still remember some of his blocks when he was with us...

So my commeNTS primarily were focused at the OG position and I'd imagine that so long as he is in good shape and coming to us sand injury he'd likely be our 1st team guard as I'd be willing to speculate (to use your verbiage ) that Orlando would likely beat out Max who at this point is the heir apparent for the other OG spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Right and part of my comment was based on the fact that the Chargers had some issues on the line last year and despite having Orlando there they still never moved him back to RT. So that to me indicates that a second team in the NFL feels that with the increase in speed in the NFL of pass rushers that Orlando is best suited as a nasty Guard who can down block and move surprisingly well for a large man. I still remember some of his blocks when he was with us...

So my commeNTS primarily were focused at the OG position and I'd imagine that so long as he is in good shape and coming to us sand injury he'd likely be our 1st team guard as I'd be willing to speculate (to use your verbiage ) that Orlando would likely beat out Max who at this point is the heir apparent for the other OG spot.
    It could also mean that they felt the downgrade at LG if they moved him from there was more significant than the upgrade he'd provide at RT over their backup there. As Sam always says, O-line is about finding your 5 best at shuffling them to their best spots. If the 5 with Franklin at LG was better than the 5 if you move him to RT, then you're going to keep him there.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    It could also mean that they felt the downgrade at LG if they moved him from there was more significant than the upgrade he'd provide at RT over their backup there. As Sam always says, O-line is about finding your 5 best at shuffling them to their best spots. If the 5 with Franklin at LG was better than the 5 if you move him to RT, then you're going to keep him there.
    Again I am not disagreeing. However my general Comment still stands...if the Chargers felt that he was "too good at LG" or that the overall benefit at RT was not as great with him at RT...Either way they felt he was one of their best lineman....and regardless of the issues they felt he was best at the OG spot...so with that being said - IMO I'd be surprised if he is healthy if he wouldn't beat our Max.. .