Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Orlando Franklin released by SD

He'd be an upgrade for us at OG, plus he can play RT, we should bring the big mauler back home!

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Imagine the road hogs we would let loose with a healthy Franklin and Bolles on the field. I believe these type of dudes will enhance the run game and wear down defenders over 60 minutes..
    And Leary. Franklin is not great in pass protection, but if you want to be physical and run the ball, he would help a lot. However, from what I remember, Elway not even offered him a contract after the 2014 season.

I also thought D.J. Fluker would make some sense, but the Broncos did not show any interest.

EDIT: Who I think will show interest in Franklin: the Dallas Cowboys. They moved Collins to RT and have a hole at LG.
    Last edited by -Rod-; 05-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Oh man talk about a gift, this is great news. I hope John jumps all over this, perfect guy for a position of huge need. Franklin could fill in either guard spot or at RT. I see Watson getting every opportunity to start at RT, but maybe he could slide in to play guard? Wow, this is great news I hope we snag the opportunity!
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    That's kinda where I am at...He got beat like a drum in the SB. Wouldn't mind him at guard.
    Ryan Clady was on IR in 2013. Chris Clark was at Left Tackle. Pass protection had to slide to the left to help him and it made Orlando look bad on the right.

Clady returned in 2014 and Beadles left in free agency, so Orlando was moved to Left Guard and Chris Clark started at Right Tackle. The questions I had about that were: can Orlando pull and can Clark down block? Orlando did a great job at LG, but Clark was benched by mid-season. Paul Cornick was tried at RT for a couple of games before they moved Vasquez and Ramirez to the right and brought Will Montgomery in at Center.

In the event Orlando returned to Denver, the question about him at RT would be: who is better at blocking speed, Orlando or Menelik Watson? Orlando's down blocking used to be consistent and dominant. I haven't seen him play regularly in a while. If he can still down block like he used to, he'd be pretty valuable as a RG. He can play either G or RT.
    Last edited by samparnell; 05-15-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

His services will be in demand at several teams. Signing him might be an issue with cap space. McCoy and Davidson know him well as does Elway since Orlando has only been gone since 2014. His forte is down blocking which is a requisite skill in an angle blocked rushing attack. He is a much better run blocker than pass blocker.

Agree to all of the above!

I would do it. He would be nice insurance if Watson or Garcia can't hack it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    And Leary. Franklin is not great in pass protection, but if you want to be physical and run the ball, he would help a lot. However, from what I remember, Elway not even offered him a contract after the 2014 season.

I also thought D.J. Fluker would make some sense, but the Broncos did not show any interest.

EDIT: Who I think will show interest in Franklin: the Dallas Cowboys. They moved Collins to RT and have a hole at LG.
    The Cowboys being interested makes sense, although they're pretty tight against the cap right now, and because of Romo retiring instead of being released I'm not sure they get the relief on June 1st that they had planned.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by kingelway7 View Post
    I say compete because we just signed 2 OLineman, drafted 1, and already have a handful on the roster. Personally, Id bring him in, move him back to RT and cut Stephenson.

Have an OL of - Bolles, Leary, Paradis, Garcia, Franklin

I concur.

Why they chose to keep Stephenson, beyond having depth in case someone goes down due to injury, baffles me cause he was horrendous.
    Last edited by Mel B.; 05-15-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
    I concur.

Why they chose to keep Stephenson, beyond having depth in case someone goes down due to injury, baffles me cause he was horrendous.
    If I had to guess I would say as a camp body, they didn't need the cap room so there was no point in cutting him for it at that point. And probably hope that he can't possibly be that bad, if he improves a little bit in this offseason/training camp it's a win and they can keep him, if not they release him and roll that cap savings over to next year.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Re-sign Orlando?

Thoughts? He just got released a day ago and would be a huge upgrade over Max Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    Thoughts? He just got released a day ago and would be a huge upgrade over Max Garcia.
    Uh Orlando was in the top 4 for most QB hits and hurries. At this point I wouldn't even say he's an upgrade let alone a huge upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    Orlando didn't resign, he was released by the Chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Orlando didn't resign, he was released by the Chargers.
    The thread title was a little confusing with a misspelling though the OP mentioned he was released.

Title updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    The thread title was a little confusing with a misspelling though the OP mentioned he was released.

Title updated.
    Thank you, Sir.