Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do You Like The Sounds Of The City?

Last evening I opened a window, as the temperature dropped a few degrees, making for good sleeping conditions. Too early for A/C. The beauty of evening where I call home is that the winds usually diminish, and there is a nice calm in the air. But there are sounds, like the distant buzz from the highway about 1/2 mile away, or the more local traffic which occasionally make their case for existence. Perhaps some other noises that one can only imagine in suburbs of the city.

I love the calm, but I love the vibrant factor that a city can bring. But I also treasure those days when we lived beyond the perimeter, when there were fewer man-made sounds, and far more of nature's best. Like the wind blowing against the plentiful trees that seemed to magnify even the gentlest of movement. The crickets. The sound of quiet.

But it does all come together, when you arise early and the birds do want to announce the new day, whether it be in the country or the city. Time to get up! Time to see what this new day has to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    But it does all come together, when you arise early and the birds do want to announce the new day, whether it be in the country or the city. Time to get up! Time to see what this new day has to bring.
    We live out in rural Western WA and have a few free range chickens that I lock in their coop every night (we also have raccoons and other critters that would love a late night chicken dinner). Anyway, no matter how tired and possibly unexcited about the dawning of a new day I may be early the next morning, it's always a pick-me-up to head out back to hear the chickens cheeping and squacking at me to hurry up and let them out so they can enjoy the new day.

Carpe diem
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    We live out in rural Western WA and have a few free range chickens that I lock in their coop every night (we also have raccoons and other critters that would love a late night chicken dinner). Anyway, no matter how tired and possibly unexcited about the dawning of a new day I may be early the next morning, it's always a pick-me-up to head out back to hear the chickens cheeping and squacking at me to hurry up and let them out so they can enjoy the new day.

Carpe diem
    Seize the day!

Have a house in the sticks and rocks with a stream on our property. I lived on a ship with 14 other guys in the same berthing or room so the privacy is awesome. Im less than 45 min away from a city and less than 2 hours from denver. Its so nice to hear streams and wildlife especially when life is crazy and fast moving.
    Last edited by armedequation; 05-15-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    Have a house in the sticks and rocks with a stream on our property. I lived on a ship with 14 other guys so the privacy is awesome. Im less than 45 min away from a city and less than 2 hours from denver. Its so nice to hear streams and wildlife especially when life is crazy and fast moving.
    That is beautiful stuff.... water in motion (whether it be ocean, river or stream), the wind in the trees, and all that nature has to offer. I guess the city sounds do not compete, but I do enjoy the buzz of distant traffic. I like the motion of a city I guess.

That is beautiful stuff.... water in motion (whether it be ocean, river or stream), the wind in the trees, and all that nature has to offer. I guess the city sounds do not compete, but I do enjoy the buzz of distant traffic. I like the motion of a city I guess.
    They provide 2 different aspects of life. One is constant crazy energy 24/7. The other is relaxing. Both are enticing for sure
    Glen Haven Fire

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." ~ Steve McQueen
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

No, noise aggravates my chronic headaches
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    "I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." ~ Steve McQueen
    Sam, is your real name Steve McQueen??

This thread is making me think of some good lyrics/songs:

"He's a real nowhere man
    Sitting in his nowhere land
    Making all his nowhere plans for nobody"

Another of my ole favs:

"And babe, don't you know it's a pity
    That the days can't be like the nights
    In the summer, in the city
    In the summer, in the city"

Thx to The Beatles and The Lovin' Spoonful for allowing me to reminisce! Loved both of them!!
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-16-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Sam, is your real name Steve McQueen??

This thread is making me think of some good lyrics/songs:

"He's a real nowhere man
    Sitting in his nowhere land
    Making all his nowhere plans for nobody"

Another of my ole favs:

"And babe, don't you know it's a pity
    That the days can't be like the nights
    In the summer, in the city
    In the summer, in the city"

Thx to The Beatles and The Lovin' Spoonful for allowing me to reminisce! Loved both of them!!
    Didn't know if you knew that quote. Thought it had a connection to the topic.

I've lived in the country for thirty-eight years, but worked in ABQ for thirty-three of those, so I have spent a lot of time there. Have spent a good deal of time in the Denver Metro area and lived there years ago. Have spent some time in the San Francisco Bay Area. Have visited Rome seven times, Athens five and Venice once.

Each one of those places has its own pulse and energy level. Summertime in Rome at night is very nice. Golden Gate Park in San Fran on Summer Days is great. Syntagma Square and the Plaka in Athens are exciting to the senses. The New Mexico State Fair in September, the Balloon Fiesta in October and Luminaria Tour at Xmastime are interesting events in ABQ.

It's neat that you mentioned "Summer in the City" because that tune came into my head when I first saw this thread. When was that? Summer 1965?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Didn't know if you knew that quote. Thought it had a connection to the topic.

I've lived in the country for thirty-eight years, but worked in ABQ for thirty-three of those, so I have spent a lot of time there. Have spent a good deal of time in the Denver Metro area and lived there years ago. Have spent some time in the San Francisco Bay Area. Have visited Rome seven times, Athens five and Venice once.

Each one of those places has its own pulse and energy level. Summertime in Rome at night is very nice. Golden Gate Park in San Fran on Summer Days is great. Syntagma Square and the Plaka in Athens are exciting to the senses. The New Mexico State Fair in September, the Balloon Fiesta in October and Luminaria Tour at Xmastime are interesting events in ABQ.

It's neat that you mentioned "Summer in the City" because that tune came into my head when I first saw this thread. When was that? Summer 1965?
    Sam....just kiddin you with the quote.

Ironically, given we talk a lot about summer, you are a man for all seasons. You like the bigger scene. But funny that you and I both thought about that classic "Summer In The City" (which apparently came out in 1966) when pondering this thread. And that is a part of why I love the city....the energy, the vibrant scene, the music, the people taking in shops and restaurants and entertainment. It's what sets some cities ahead of others. It is in fact one of the things I want my city to get more tuned into at times. You know, like closing off streets for pedestrian activity. Instantly I am reminded of the meals we ate outside in beautiful cities like Paris, Florence, and Nice (and many more). Just love those memories!

But I do appreciate the serenity and peace that come from living beyond the edge......

.....I love both.

Dont forget joe walsh's in the city from the warriors movie!

Closing down streets and having a sidewalk dinner sounds cool.

I want more places like sonic and a&w so cruisin comes back....
    Last edited by armedequation; 05-18-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    Dont forget joe walsh's in the city from the warriors movie!

Closing down streets and having a sidewalk dinner sounds cool.

I want more places like sonic and a&w so cruisin comes back....
    Now I have more old "summer" songs in my head.....maybe too old for most here, but Sam will know:

Hot Fun In The Summertime - Sly and The Family Stone

In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

A little off topic, but for me, it was all about my youthful days in the heat of another summer.....in the city.

Now I have more old "summer" songs in my head.....maybe too old for most here, but Sam will know:

Hot Fun In The Summertime - Sly and The Family Stone

In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

A little off topic, but for me, it was all about my youthful days in the heat of another summer.....in the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPUb4Wsi9kI
    I really like Cheese.

Until last year I did not realize how loud squirrels are (and how grouchy!!). When 2 or more of them are in a tree they are incredibly noisy!! But when they get close to us, they start shooting out all kinds (of what I can imagine as) F sharps and such, as if we should not be there! Hey, if you don't like the city life, move back to the open spaces, full of trees and food!!!