Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynch's Chances

I will say that Lynch has a chance because Mike McCoy is the OC.

I don't think Kubiak knew how to use Lynch.

I think McCoy is capable of developing an offense that Lynch, at least, has a chance to run.
    Jesus Loves You, even if you don't love Him.
    Woooo!! Wooooo!!! Wooooooo!!!! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    negs are for cowards. I won't back down.

Lynch will be the starter if he wins over the respect and confidence of the locker room. From all accounts I've heard is that the team respects Siemian as a leader. If Lynch can change that dynamic he has a better shot at winning the job.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Lynch will be the starter if he wins over the respect and confidence of the locker room. From all accounts I've heard is that the team respects Siemian as a leader. If Lynch can change that dynamic he has a better shot at winning the job.
    He doesn't need to change that. He just needs to show he can be a leader as well. It isn't that one is a leader and the other isn't. All the QBs can be leaders....

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    He doesn't need to change that. He just needs to show he can be a leader as well. It isn't that one is a leader and the other isn't. All the QBs can be leaders....
    So you think a team can have two leaders at the qb position? I guess they can lead in different ways but I feel like you need one guy that the team can rally behind.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    So you think a team can have two leaders at the qb position? I guess they can lead in different ways but I feel like you need one guy that the team can rally behind.
    Whoever is the starter would be the leader. Ideally, each quarterback would be capable of leading, when necessary.

The primary concern should be which quarterback can execute the offense and show confidence in doing so.

The rah rah stuff can come from someone else. The quarterback needs to know the X's and O's and be willing to let teammates know when they've made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Strip Sacked View Post
    I start this thread with caution, in hopes we can peacefully discuss the chance Paxton Lynch has in making QB1 come the first week of the regular season.

Without trying to compare Paxton/Trevor and who's smarter, I ask; does Lynch have an actual shot at winning the gig?

I've felt pretty convinced that if he's healthy that Siemian has virtually no chance of not starting. However, this time last year; I felt the same about... Sanchez. I was sold and convinced (as were many of you! Cmon, fess up!) who felt that old Mark Sanchez could resurrect his career in a hopeful Plummer-esqe fashion. Never once did the thought that Trevor would win the job actually seem plausible to me. Over Mark and the 1st round pick? No chance.. Can Lynch prove me wrong again?

If the chance is there. What does Paxton have to do to prove to VJ he's worthy of taking the reigns?
    It's really going to depend on how much he's improved.

Can he come out and make the right reads? Connect the passes and move the ball? Can he proficiently move the offense in a more effective manner than the other QB's in the competition. Does he have a clear understanding of the playbook?

We won't know any of this for another month or two. It's really going to depend on how big a of a leap in improvement he takes vs how big trevor's improvement is.

It's also going to depend on the coaches preferences (we don't know what that really is, we can only assume)

Yes he has a shot, in theory all 4 QB's do, Lynch/TS have the best shot of the 4. Who has the lead between Lynch/TS? We'll know later.

This article posted today is the latest update on the QB competiton and how Joseph sees the QBs at this point:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/18/d...s-nfl-notebook

Joseph’s feel for the two is just what you’d think. He says Siemian plays “a game of patience, it’s a game of confidence. He is in control. ... He’s a smart guy, he throws the ball where it should go most of the time, he’s got a high football IQ.” And on Lynch, Joseph says, “The physical ability is there. He’s a first-round pick, great height, great arm talent, great mobility.”
    “I’d say decision-making is going to be a major factor in who wins the job,” Joseph said. “That’s the position in the NFL—the guy who makes great decisions with the football, not turning the football over, and the guy who lets his teammates play for him, that’s the guy I want to lead our football team. Obviously, ball placement in the pass game, the ability to get us into the best play, those things are important.
    “But it comes down to decision-making—that’s the biggest factor in this decision I’m going to make.”
    Siemian is the smart QB with a high football IQ. Lynch is still the tall QB with the big arm. Then Joseph says decision-making will determine who wins this competition.

The answer is right there.

McCoy's offense will demand more from the QB, give more freedom to the QB. Siemian is the one "in control", with the high football IQ. So, Lynch will have to show more control of a pro offense, show an improved football IQ to have a chance to win the job. In other words, Lynch will have to process the game faster to let his mind get in sync with his physical abilities.

Next year, Chad Kelly might be in this conversation. He seems to be a good combination of Siemian and Lynch in terms of football IQ and physical abilities.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I will say that Lynch has a chance because Mike McCoy is the OC.

I don't think Kubiak knew how to use Lynch.

I think McCoy is capable of developing an offense that Lynch, at least, has a chance to run.
    Careful, this is all starting to sound Tebow-esque now....

Anything's possible in the NFL, I just hope it's not a popularity contest and the true franchise QB wins.
    I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by XterraRob View Post
    Anything's possible in the NFL, I just hope it's not a popularity contest and the true franchise QB wins.
    Considering how few franchise QBs there actually are, and how hard it is to find one, there's pretty decent odds that whoever becomes the starting QB won't be a franchise QB. Hopefully one of them ends up being one. But if not, hopefully they at least turn out to be a guy who can lead this offense at a better than average level.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Considering how few franchise QBs there actually are, and how hard it is to find one, there's pretty decent odds that whoever becomes the starting QB won't be a franchise QB. Hopefully one of them ends up being one. But if not, hopefully they at least turn out to be a guy who can lead this offense at a better than average level.
    I mean it works for the Ravens with Joe Flacco so...

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I mean it works for the Ravens with Joe Flacco so...
    I was actually thinking of him when I was posting that. Not a franchise QB, but still won a Super Bowl. You don't need a franchise QB to win a Super Bowl, but you do need a steady QB who can limit mistakes and make plays, Flacco did that well for several games in a row 5 years ago.

Realistically though, since I brought it up, how many true franchise QBs are there in the league?

Brady
    Roethlisberger
    E Manning
    Rodgers
    Newton (not popular but the franchise goes as he goes)
    Ryan? (only one red elite season, hence the ?)
    Brees
    Wilson

I've listed 8, I think 6 of them are no doubters and would be on everyone's list. Two are debatable. Then you have the list of QBs who look like they might be franchise QBs in the not too distant future, but haven't earned it yet:
    Carr
    Luck (not steady enough to be on that list, may never get there)
    Winston
    Cousins

Not sure who I'm missing? Part of the reason I actually listed it is so that no one will get offended by me not listing Siemian or Lynch. I think the title of "franchise" QB is thrown around a lot, but the number truly out there, is very small.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Careful, this is all starting to sound Tebow-esque now....
    Hush your mouth!!

I'm sure plenty of people remember where I stood on that subject.

Of course Lynch could end up starting. How? One, Siemian could get injured during pre-season. Two, Siemian could win the competition in pre-season and the coaching staff "gives" the job to Lynch, anyway. Three, God could invervene, a miracle occurs, and Lynch actually beats out Siemian.

And, I don't discount any of those from happening. Especially, #2.

Lynch's problem is that his physical and athletic advantages, which in my opinion aren't much greater than Siemian's, simply don't out-weigh Siemian's clearly superior "Football IQ".

Just my opinion. The good news is that IF Lynch actually beats out Siemian in a "fair" and "open" competition, it's great news for the Broncos. It means that Lynch has taken a HUGE step forward. We not only have a good, solid, knowledgeable starter with a seasons experience starting, who would be the backup, we would also have a young athletically gifted QB who beat out that Starter.

Trevor will start, I have zero doubts. However, I'm assuming Trevor will get hurt again at some point in the season. Whether Paxton plays this year will be dependent on TS health. Paxton, at that point, has 2 choices:
    1) Play his butt off. Make the offense go BOOM. Never giving back the job.
    2) Play mediocre again and solidify TS as the future of the franchise
    Last edited by Joshua2585; 05-18-2017 at 03:53 PM.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16