Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynch's Chances

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I was actually thinking of him when I was posting that. Not a franchise QB, but still won a Super Bowl. You don't need a franchise QB to win a Super Bowl, but you do need a steady QB who can limit mistakes and make plays, Flacco did that well for several games in a row 5 years ago.

Realistically though, since I brought it up, how many true franchise QBs are there in the league?

Brady
    Roethlisberger
    E Manning
    Rodgers
    Newton (not popular but the franchise goes as he goes)
    Ryan? (only one red elite season, hence the ?)
    Brees
    Wilson

I've listed 8, I think 6 of them are no doubters and would be on everyone's list. Two are debatable. Then you have the list of QBs who look like they might be franchise QBs in the not too distant future, but haven't earned it yet:
    Carr
    Luck (not steady enough to be on that list, may never get there)
    Winston
    Cousins

Not sure who I'm missing? Part of the reason I actually listed it is so that no one will get offended by me not listing Siemian or Lynch. I think the title of "franchise" QB is thrown around a lot, but the number truly out there, is very small.
    Dalton, the red riffle!! Haha not sure he qualifies but has been the bungles QB for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Trevor will start, I have zero doubts. However, I'm assuming Trevor will get hurt again at some point in the season. Whether Paxton plays this year will be dependent on TS health. Paxton, at that point, has 2 choices:
    1) Play his butt off. Make the offense go BOOM. Never giving back the job.
    2) Play mediocre again and solidify TS as the future of the franchise
    The 1st doesn't guarantee the 2nd....

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

All I will say for now, other than it is a good thing if we have 2 young QBs with starter potential, is that QB threads are a staple of this forum, and I fully expect this to not be the last (and I am talking within a month or so!!).

Not good is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I was actually thinking of him when I was posting that. Not a franchise QB, but still won a Super Bowl. You don't need a franchise QB to win a Super Bowl, but you do need a steady QB who can limit mistakes and make plays, Flacco did that well for several games in a row 5 years ago.

Realistically though, since I brought it up, how many true franchise QBs are there in the league?

Brady
    Roethlisberger
    E Manning
    Rodgers
    Newton (not popular but the franchise goes as he goes)
    Ryan? (only one red elite season, hence the ?)
    Brees
    Wilson

I've listed 8, I think 6 of them are no doubters and would be on everyone's list. Two are debatable. Then you have the list of QBs who look like they might be franchise QBs in the not too distant future, but haven't earned it yet:
    Carr
    Luck (not steady enough to be on that list, may never get there)
    Winston
    Cousins

Not sure who I'm missing? Part of the reason I actually listed it is so that no one will get offended by me not listing Siemian or Lynch. I think the title of "franchise" QB is thrown around a lot, but the number truly out there, is very small.
    I would call Rivers a franchise QB. Never truly elite, but still puts up good to great numbers almost every year.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post

why not try and answer this ? that was posted? What does Paxton have to do to prove to VJ he's worthy of taking the reigns?

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    why not try and answer this ? that was posted? What does Paxton have to do to prove to VJ he's worthy of taking the reigns?
    Be a leader and move the ball down field. Find an area where he can separate himself from Trevor. I think that area could be attacking the middle of the field and using his legs, I just don't think it's going to happen this year. If the offense has another struggling season then no doubt we will see Paxton in there at some point.

I think the mental part is going to be the deciding factor for who starts. Trevor seems like a bright guy, that's his huge advantage. We will see what the offseason has done for Paxton, I think it's going to take more than 7 months.

I do like his enthusiasm, I will say that. That's one area Trevor needs to step it up. Be a little more alive on the field, show some excitement, light a fire under some butts. He had HUGE shoes to fill last season so I get it wasn't easy. I felt like he held back a bit, I also think the play calling was horrendous. At some point you have to stop running the ball on 3rd and short when it's not working.

Had Peyton played last season that would have been a perfect situation for Paxton. To see first hand how the best of the best do football throughout the year. I'm sure it helped Trevor a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I would call Rivers a franchise QB. Never truly elite, but still puts up good to great numbers almost every year.
    I deliberately left him off, because of his age, and because of the lack of success his team has had. All of the franchise QBs I've listed have taken their team to the Super Bowl and made their teams better. I view Rivers as a guy who has compiled stats but never really been a franchise QB due to the lack of success.

I would put Andy Dalton in the category just below, I'm not sure he'll ever get any higher, I think he's just a good QB.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Be a leader and move the ball down field. Find an area where he can separate himself from Trevor. I think that area could be attacking the middle of the field and using his legs, I just don't think it's going to happen this year. If the offense has another struggling season then no doubt we will see Paxton in there at some point.

I think the mental part is going to be the deciding factor for who starts. Trevor seems like a bright guy, that's his huge advantage. We will see what the offseason has done for Paxton, I think it's going to take more than 7 months.

I do like his enthusiasm, I will say that. That's one area Trevor needs to step it up. Be a little more alive on the field, show some excitement, light a fire under some butts. He had HUGE shoes to fill last season so I get it wasn't easy. I felt like he held back a bit, I also think the play calling was horrendous. At some point you have to stop running the ball on 3rd and short when it's not working.

Had Peyton played last season that would have been a perfect situation for Paxton. To see first hand how the best of the best do football throughout the year. I'm sure it helped Trevor a bit.
    I think this is a quality answer. You make good points, and state your case well. I'm not sure I've ever seen you explain your feelings on the QB situation other than the obvious, but this answer certainly does that.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

An answer on the QB situation with substance. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    it almost seems as if the Chargers franchise is cursed. Dangerous team that seems to lose out in the last quarter every game.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Lynch needs to close the gap at being a game manager. Once he does the starting job will his IMO.

Respect what Seimian has done. Odds are in his favor at being the game one starter. But I do not beleive the edge he has over Lynch is as wide as some think. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Much will depend on how they adapt to the new system. And how they make plays within it.

Seimian has the advantage as the decision maker. Staying on schedule is his strength. Lynch needs to learn how to do the basics much better to close the gap. Run the huddle, know the playbook, run the offense then make the play it or when it breaks down. As he does he will earn the respect of his teammates and coaches. He will become the starter.

We all love to watch highlights. Kelly and Sloter highlight reels are popular now. Suggest some remind themselves of why Lynch was selected. His ability to make plays when the play breaks down. That is his strength. Yes I know, TS can too. I have seen the scramble TD to Taylor. Or the back foot throws to beat the all out pass rush. In college those off schedule plays were Lynch's strength. Those are the plays that still give me confidence he will become the starter for the Broncos.

Seimian had a solid year. He should be penciled in as the starter for now. But at some point Lynch takes the job IMO.

I simply beleive it will be easier for McCoy to teach the playmaker to be a game manager then a game manager to become a playmaker. Especially if the system has a comfort level included if it follows McCoys tendency to be shotgun heavy pass oriented as is speculated. As Lynch becomes more comfortable the decision making becomes more competent. The simple throws easier to complete. As he makes plays the confidence in him by teammates will increase.

No doubt Lynch has work to do to earn the job as it should be. That time is coming. Just a matter of time.

I feel Siemian has unfairly been labelled as a 'game manager' by a large portion, so early on in his career. The TD throw against the Chiefs down near the goal line didn't look very game manager-esque to me, and neither did his play in tight games during the 4th quarter. He made his fair share of plays last season.

I believe I am a little closer to middle of the road as to who will be our long term starter. I still think Lynch needs to be assessed this year over last, as a raw rookie. Plus, unlike some, I put some stock into when someone is drafted, even if not too much. If anything it tells you what scouts thought about a player in college. Sure it all changes in the bigs, but I am hardly close to giving up on Lynch as the long term leader.

And though these are very high level stats, in 2016 Trevor had a completion % of 59.5, threw 18 TDs and gave up 10 pics, and had a rate of 84.6. Lynch, was brand new, and with limited opportunity, had a completion % of 59.0, threw 2 TDs to his one pic, and had a rate of 79.2. Overall, given the experience and the playing time, I would not hand the job over to Trevor long term, just yet. The stats are simple, but the numbers are fairly similar. And Trevor has that very important extra year.

Sure, coming into the offseason, Trevor is #1. But I would wait the next few months, and then see how we start the season. Lynch may still be the guy. Far too early.