Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elway's Status

Elway's Status

I live in Maryland but have Bronco apps and podcasts on my phone. I've been hearing things about Elway's status with the team being up in the air. I highly doubt he's being lowballed on his contract, but seems the ball is in his court and he's taking his time. I'm not close enough to get the local scoop on a constant basis but has anyone heard more about this? The discussions supposedly center around his contract still not being renewed and debates over whether Elway is debating whether he wants to continue the grind and is just thinking he won his SB for Pat and can step away or whether he'd like to take ownership in the Broncos or possibly another team.

I listened to 104.3 and they went back to Elway retiring, but always wanting to come back to the Broncos in some capacity. They also said it's rumored that Elway wanted ownership and that Pat was on board. However, I'm guessing because of health, Elway doesn't have the same backing that he once had. As a result, Elway doesn't seem to be on the path to Bronco ownership anymore and will walk away and possibly look to ownership somewhere else. I believe he'd have to step away from the team anyway to take ownership anyway, does any have any local news on where he stands and why or is he keeping it secret?

Gosh, I hope he doesn't leave. He is at a good age to be an owner, maybe he might pull a Jerry Jones and be both as partial owner. I just can't see him anywhere but Denver.
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    I live in Maryland but have Bronco apps and podcasts on my phone. I've been hearing things about Elway's status with the team being up in the air. I highly doubt he's being lowballed on his contract, but seems the ball is in his court and he's taking his time. I'm not close enough to get the local scoop on a constant basis but has anyone heard more about this? The discussions supposedly center around his contract still not being renewed and debates over whether Elway is debating whether he wants to continue the grind and is just thinking he won his SB for Pat and can step away or whether he'd like to take ownership in the Broncos or possibly another team.

I listened to 104.3 and they went back to Elway retiring, but always wanting to come back to the Broncos in some capacity. They also said it's rumored that Elway wanted ownership and that Pat was on board. However, I'm guessing because of health, Elway doesn't have the same backing that he once had. As a result, Elway doesn't seem to be on the path to Bronco ownership anymore and will walk away and possibly look to ownership somewhere else. I believe he'd have to step away from the team anyway to take ownership anyway, does any have any local news on where he stands and why or is he keeping it secret?
    getting ownership is pretty difficult. $1B is hard to come by. Elway isn't even close to that ballpark. I think his current status with the team is going to continue for a long time.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

I remember when Pat Bowlens son was the "blood of the city", more like the piss of the city. I think Pat looks at Elway as family. I wouldnt be surprise if Elway becomes part owner one day.
    I hope he does....

Quote Originally Posted by swinginhorseman View Post
    I remember when Pat Bowlens son was the "blood of the city", more like the piss of the city. I think Pat looks at Elway as family. I wouldnt be surprise if Elway becomes part owner one day.
    I hope he does....
    That relationship always made me wonder how Pat's kids perceived Elway. Do they genuinely appreciate his relationship with their father or were they just cordial for the sake of their father? Were the boys also growing up in Elway's shadow? Behind the scenes situations like that may play a big role in how this plays out.

I would love to see Elway with us until the end, just like Pat. And I can't lie, the thought of new owners actually scares me a bit. The possibility of someone (or conglomerate) that has complete and total disregard for the legacy that was built by Pat and John, is a hard pill to swallow. I would hate to be the Bills, Browns, Or Dolphins of the AFCW. But in the same light, new ownership could take us even higher. Still a scary thought of the unknown.

Somebody enlighten me...

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    That relationship always made me wonder how Pat's kids perceived Elway. Do they genuinely appreciate his relationship with their father or were they just cordial for the sake of their father? Were the boys also growing up in Elway's shadow? Behind the scenes situations like that may play a big role in how this plays out.

I would love to see Elway with us until the end, just like Pat. And I can't lie, the thought of new owners actually scares me a bit. The possibility of someone (or conglomerate) that has complete and total disregard for the legacy that was built by Pat and John, is a hard pill to swallow. I would hate to be the Bills, Browns, Or Dolphins of the AFCW. But in the same light, new ownership could take us even higher. Still a scary thought of the unknown.
    Hmm.. Scary thought.. Don't put that out into the universe.

Also...

I'm pretty rusty on my Broncos lore... I once heard (in a bar of course, well after halftime) that former Denver Broncos owner Edgar Kaiser stipulated in a contract he sold to current owner Pat Bowlen that he would only sell the team on the terms that Elway could own no ownership of the franchise. And supposedly it's part of the Bowlen contract. Elway would have to buy it third party..

That was always my understanding of it, through of course a beer induced playoff game with the guys. Is there any truth to this whatsoever?
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post

Broncos are currently valued at 2.4 billion USD, a figure that will continue to increase to keep up with inflation and everything directly related to the league – that being increasingly bigger markets (net population) and therefore more money to go around, even if the percentage of viewership per capita drops. Not to mention, there's also the likely possibility of expansion teams in the pipeline.

Elway is a couple of billions short and would have to team up with a group of investors with mutual interest or a local billionaire like Philip Anschutz. The latter is a known recluse and rarely meddles in public ordeals nowadays, he very much prefers hands off and letting others run his professional sports teams but it remains to be seen if he has any interest in NFL at all.
    Last edited by BroncosDivision; 05-20-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

I recall reading, some time ago, that Elway needed to partner up with a team of buyers, with him being majority owner, in order to buy the team. He has money but nowhere near the total amount needed to be out right owner.

Yeah, but he could probably afford to buy the Chargers. Then again, who wants to own the Chargers? (insert Homer Simpson voice here)

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    Broncos are currently valued at 2.4 billion USD, a figure that will continue to increase to keep up with inflation and everything directly related to the league – that being increasingly bigger markets (net population) and therefore more money to go around, even if the percentage of viewership per capita drops. Not to mention, there's also the likely possibility of expansion teams in the pipeline.

Elway is a couple of billions short and would have to team up with a group of investors with mutual interest or a local billionaire like Philip Anschutz. The latter is a known recluse and rarely meddles in public ordeals nowadays, he very much prefers hands off and letting others run his professional sports teams but it remains to be seen if he has any interest in NFL at all.
    The report wasn't that he wants to own the team outright, but in part. So he could've had plans to recruit a team to buy in. Supposedly it talked about long ago with Pat, but with his health fading, Elway lost his support.

Quote Originally Posted by sendacash View Post
    Yeah, but he could probably afford to buy the Chargers. Then again, who wants to own the Chargers? (insert Homer Simpson voice here)
    I wouldn't mind owning an nfl team
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

I fear Elway will never be able to have an ownership in the team, That might also be the only way to keep him with the Broncos long term. When one of Pats children take over, they may not have fond feelings for Elway and may wish to move on from him. It may depend on the type of relationship that Pats children and Elway have.

I heard from a prominent Denver sportscaster that Elway already has a small ownership piece. I bet he angles for more and that gets done. He is now the established and lone face of the franchise..

Quote Originally Posted by cloud of dust View Post
    i heard from a prominent denver sportscaster that elway already has a small ownership piece. I bet he angles for more and that gets done. He is now the established and lone face of the franchise..

elway!!!...elway!!!...elway!!!
    Last edited by Mel B.; Yesterday at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud of dust View Post
    I heard from a prominent Denver sportscaster that Elway already has a small ownership piece. I bet he angles for more and that gets done. He is now the established and lone face of the franchise..
    He is the face of the franchise now, but faces change all the time.