Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just looking for info. then I'll go away

I had heard that the great John Elway had a severe ACL injury prior to his amazing Super Bowl wins. Does anyone know if this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Bengal Fan
    I had heard that the great John Elway had a severe ACL injury prior to his amazing Super Bowl wins. Does anyone know if this is true?
    I vaguely remember him hurting his knee/leg but don't recall if it was significant. He ruptured his tricep one season only to come back stronger than ever.

I really feel for Carson and the Bengals. I truly and sincerely hope that he recovers and comes back to have an amazing career which everyone knows he was on his way to.

...oh yeah and please feel free to stay. We welcome all other fans from rival teams.
    The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Thank you so much for replying and for the info. Dont know much about Denver fans but you have made a good first impression. Just prepare yourself for what your about to start getting from Steeler fans on your boards. They are heartless and classless, cracking jokes on the Bengal boards about Carson's injury. Really sickening. No "true" football fan wishes things like that on other teams. Hope Denver makes a great run for the SB. Good Luck!

Well it depends on what you mean before the Super Bowl wins. The only ACL injury that I'm aware of Elway having was when he was in High School that's one of the reasons he always wore a knee brace.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Thank you so much for replying and for the info. Dont know much about Denver fans but you have made a good first impression. Just prepare yourself for what your about to start getting from Steeler fans on your boards. They are heartless and classless, cracking jokes on the Bengal boards about Carson's injury. Really sickening. No "true" football fan wishes things like that on other teams. Hope Denver makes a great run for the SB. Good Luck!
    Sorry I wasn't more helpful but you are welcome. And thank you for the warnings and for the kind words.
    The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Elway tore his ACL during college. I believe beween his junior and senior year. If he had it repaired, it would be a 12 month rehab (recovery times were much longer than, pre othroscope) and his senior year and draft position would be in jeopardy.

Elway chose to NOT have his ACL repaired and played is ENTIRE NFL career without an ACL in one knee and wore a brace to stabilize it.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the great info. That was exactly what I was looking for.
    I totally understand the "no respect" being a Bengal Fan and all. Just remember, "No respect from who?" The media? They are all so afraid of making each other look stupid on the air that they have lost their ability to voice their own opinions! The only real people that matter are the fans of a team and the players. Just learn to ignore everyone else. And man does it make it that much sweeter when your team proves them all wrong!!!!

Modern medicine is pretty good. There have been a great many athletes in all sports that have suffered ACL's and then went on to great careers or continued great careers. Edgerrin James tore his ACL in '01 or '02 and it hasn't slowed him down much.

Palmer should have a great career. Worse case scenario is probably that he gets off to a slow start next year if he isn't fully rehabbed by pre-season.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

I Read that Elway actually had a cadavers ligament put into his leg to help stabalize it. Seems to have worked out well for him.
    The Game Day Thread: Year 10 Colts vs Broncos! Posting your way NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Elway
    I Read that Elway actually had a cadavers ligament put into his leg to help stabalize it. Seems to have worked out well for him.
    I'll have to do some research. I read that he opted not to have any repair done. I think I may have a biography on him around, may try and dig it out.

Thank all of you for your helpful info. I appreciate it alot! My husband said I was crazy for getting on your message board, that you all would eat me alive for being a fan of another team. Proved him wrong! I guess not every fan sucks like the Steeler Fans!!!
    Go Broncos!!!

Thank all of you for your helpful info. I appreciate it alot! My husband said I was crazy for getting on your message board, that you all would eat me alive for being a fan of another team. Proved him wrong! I guess not every fan sucks like the Steeler Fans!!!
    Go Broncos!!!

A female football fan is always welcome in Broncoville

Go Broncos!!!
    We have NO PROBLEM with fans from other teams... unless they start talking trash that is In fact I made someone from the Bengals board a sig a few weeks back...

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2...bengals5lw.png

Quote Originally Posted by Elway

Can't provide a link, because it comes from a paid article search engine, but here is a snippit from a '97 Rocky Mountain News Article.

------------------

BUILT TO LAST ELWAY'S DURABILITY AT PERILOUS POSITION BUILT ON INTELLIGENCE, STRENGTH, COURAGE

Copyright Denver Publishing Company, Rocky Mountain News Jul 13, 1997

"Elway does not have an ACL in his left knee. He is not a medical miracle, but he has lived on the edge longer than anyone should. He completely tore the ligament while making a cut during a high school football game, although no one hit him on the play. Today, the knee would be reconstructed. But 20 years ago, it was left alone.

Where the ligament had been, calcium began to build up like a stalactite. He wears a brace to stabilize the knee. It is not the recommended procedure, but it has worked for Elway.

"What he's developed are arthritic changes that have stabilized the joint," Antonopulos said. "There's not much looseness. From the day we examined him the first time he got here to the way he is today, it's like night and day."

At some point after his career, Elway likely will need knee replacement surgery. But his knees are strong, "considering the fact that he's missing a few things in one of them," Tuten said. In the off-season, Elway was able to squat 300 pounds eight times and leg press 400 pounds. The long-ago knee injury has made him conscious of strengthing the surrounding muscles. His legs are as strong as any of the Broncos' skill position players. His leg strength has allowed him to escape all sorts of predicaments that have shortened other careers.

"It's not to say his knee doesn't get sore or his knee doesn't swell during training camp," Antonopulos said. "He needs to wear the brace to ensure stability as well. Some people have a lot more problems. One of the things is that he's developed the musculature around the joint to stabilize it even more."

Go Broncos!!!
    I'd like to first say welcome to the boards...and second, I like to think that most of the people here on the broncomania boards are true football fans. Fans from other teams are always welcome, people who talk smack are usually ok too, as long as it gets placed in the appropriate forum. Anyway, welcome to the boards, with today's technology I'm sure Palmer will be back next year. You've got yourself a franchise QB in him...