Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We are a model for the Texans

Here is a story from the Denver Post.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3899717
    Texans bank on Shanahan's model
    By Mike Klis
    Denver Post Staff Writer

The management methods of the Mastermind are spreading to the AFC South.

The Houston Texans are banking on Mike Shanahan disciples to resurrect their otherwise dormant franchise.

Shanahan, who is about to begin his 12th season as the Broncos' head coach, first sent his longtime offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak to lead the Texans' coaching staff. Then, as Denver Post columnist Thomas George first reported in Sunday's editions, the Texans hired Broncos front office executive Rick Smith as their new general manager.

A news conference to formally announce Smith's hiring will be held in Houston today.

"The best coaches historically have produced top people and gone on elsewhere," said former San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh, whose family tree of assistants-turned NFL head coaches includes Shanahan, Mike Holmgren and Dennis Green. "Mike is one of the great coaches of our time and he's bound to have a lot of people move on over the years and at some point he's going to be competing against them."

That point will first occur Aug. 27, when the Broncos play the Texans in a preseason game at Invesco Field at Mile High.

The Kubiak-Smith regime in Houston is expected to emulate the Shanahan-Ted Sundquist relationship in Denver.

For the Broncos, Sundquist is the general manager who oversees payroll budgets and talent evaluations before presenting options to Shanahan.

The Texans, whose 2-14 season led to the departures of GM Charlie Casserly and coach Dom Capers, will use a similar model in which Smith is responsible for finding talent but Kubiak has ultimate authority.
    Smith joins Baltimore's Ozzie Newsome, Arizona's Rod Graves and Jacksonville's James Harris as the NFL's only African-Americans to hold the top front-office positions.

"We lost two of our best people and you're always sorry to see them go," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said. "But at the same time you're proud to see them go on to the next level. The NFL is like a fraternity. When coaches or executives are ready to take that next step, you want to help them. Who knows? They might come back and help you."

As was the case with Shanahan, who was the Broncos' offensive coordinator before Bowlen allowed him to become head coach of the Raiders.
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif

Thanks for the article.

Can you blame them?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew303
    Can you blame them?
    Yes.
    "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandxxRaider
    Yes.
    Good response, backed up with facts...... but just to play devil's advocate, why can you blame a team for following the path of a successful franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange_Crush21
    Good response, backed up with facts...... but just to play devil's advocate, why can you blame a team for following the path of a successful franchise?

I dont blame them. Its actually the smart thing to do. I was kidding. While i do think the texans need to start to develop their own identity, i believe they'll be able to do that with kubiak at the helm. Its obvious that kubiak will show shades of a "shannahan type" of team, but i think with enough time the texans could be just as good or better than the broncos...with time i say again. I think its a great thing. So now the quest is can the student surpass the teacher....time will tell.
    "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Quote Originally Posted by Orange_Crush21

Because obviously they should model their franchize after the Raiders...wooing every has been, dissapointment and overrated old fart to play the game.

Now THAT, my friend...is how you win a whopping 4 games a season and manage to be swept by your entire division!
    “There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven.” - Robert Green Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Broncsfan87
    Because obviously they should model their franchize after the Raiders...wooing every has been, dissapointment and overrated old fart to play the game.

Now THAT, my friend...is how you win a whopping 4 games a season and manage to be swept by your entire division!
    Jeez...i make a joke a people start getting all worked up...it was a joke, relax. And if you'd like to continue the bashing, meet me in the smack forum.

I dont blame them. Its actually the smart thing to do. I was kidding. While i do think the texans need to start to develop their own identity, i believe they'll be able to do that with kubiak at the helm. Its obvious that kubiak will show shades of a "shannahan type" of team, but i think with enough time the texans could be just as good or better than the broncos...with time i say again. I think its a great thing. So now the quest is can the student surpass the teacher....time will tell.
    The main goal should be to get their offensive line working MUCH better than is has been. I think Kubiak will probably stick to the zone blocking scheme that has worked so well in Denver, and do whatever it takes to minimize the sacks and pressure on Carr.

But I'm sure he'll add his own style outside of that.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Jeez...i make a joke a people start getting all worked up...it was a joke, relax. And if you'd like to continue the bashing, meet me in the smack forum.
    No man, we're just giving it back to you. Not worked up at all....

This can't be. They have a great pass rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncsfan87

Alrightythen.

I just quoted you in my Texans blog because:

A. It was funny.

2. I don't much like the Raiders or how they conduct themselves.

III. You helped make the point I was making.

Just thought I'd let you know: Link: GM Rick Smith--Welcome to the Texans!

Oh, and BTW, am I out to lunch in thinking that the requirements of your offense require specific types of players to succeed, that it is just not the playbook--maybe a little more than other offenses? Figure y'all who actually watch the Broncos would know that better than someone who has mostly read about what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
    Alrightythen.

I just quoted you in my Texans blog because:

A. It was funny.

2. I don't much like the Raiders or how they conduct themselves.

III. You helped make the point I was making.

Just thought I'd let you know: Link: GM Rick Smith--Welcome to the Texans!

Oh, and BTW, am I out to lunch in thinking that the requirements of your offense require specific types of players to succeed, that it is just not the playbook--maybe a little more than other offenses? Figure y'all who actually watch the Broncos would know that better than someone who has mostly read about what you do.
    Yes. The zone blocking scheme works best with smaller more athletic linemen. The kind that either go late in the draft or not at all. It can be done with bigger linemen but works best with the smaller ones. So if you're out to lunch its not because you misunderstood our scheme.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
    The linemen need to be quicker and more agile than most OL. Usually that means they are smaller than the typical linemen but the occasional big guy can work in the system if he possesses those first two qualities. The receivers need to be good blockers, in addition to doing their receiver duties. And the QB needs to have good feet for rollouts and bootlegs. The running backs need to be patient and have a good cut and burst through the hole; the hole is almost always there but it doesn't always last long.

I think Carr should do fine if he hasn't taken too much psychological damage from constantly running for his life. Kubiak should do a good job taking advantage of his assets.

The biggest question, IMO, will be your offensive line. I know you supposedly ran a zone blocking scheme but I never thought the line was very good at it. If Kubes can patch together a decent line, it'll bring his schemes to life.

Good luck to the Texans. The Broncos are my only true love (football-wise) but I'll be pulling for Houston.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

My second favorite team is the Texans. I've liked them since thier first year. I like them even more now that they have Kube and the putz. Broncos are still my favorite.
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif