Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,409

    John Elway was THIS close to being a Raider!!

    Don't know if this has ever been posted here, but I found this article very interesting....

    Sunday, October 29, 2006
    BY PAUL NEEDELL
    Star-Ledger Staff

    John Elway a Raider?

    According to two people with knowledge of a potential pre-draft trade, the Colts had reached a deal to send the No. 1 pick of the 1983 draft to the Raiders -- only to have the deal blocked by NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle.

    "We almost had Elway, but Pete Rozelle voided the trade," former Raiders personnel man Ron Wolf told The Star-Ledger last week. "We had the trade set up with Baltimore, but Pete wouldn't let it happen."

    Rozelle and Raiders owner Davis spent many years in the 1980s in courtrooms over the Raiders' move from Oakland to Los Angeles, among other issues. Simply put, the two didn't like each other.

    Ernie Accorsi, then the GM of the Colts, now the Giants' GM, confirmed a deal was in place with the Raiders that would have netted Baltimore an unprecedented three No. 1 picks and two No. 2s. One of the No. 1s, Accorsi said, would have been the sixth overall, which the Raiders had arranged to acquire from the Bears.

    "Yeah, it's never been written, but I was going to make the deal only if it included getting back a top 10 pick," Accorsi said. "I wanted to make sure we still got (Hall of Fame quarterback) Dan Marino. I wasn't going to trade Elway for anything less than the best package ever."

    Wolf said he didn't know the details of the almost-trade, but said he was was told by someone in the Colts' organization that "it was much better" than what Baltimore later received from the Broncos for Elway after the draft. That deal included back-up QB Mark Hermann, tackle Chris Hinton and a first-round draft pick.

    The deal apparently had been made by Davis and late Colts owner Robert Irsay.

    So what happened?

    "Irsay capitulated with the commissioner," Wolf said.

    Even late Bears general manager Jim Finks was baffled. Accorsi said he called him and said, "Are we getting (played) here? Because somebody's killed the deal, and it's not me."

    All parties thought a trade was set for the glamour-boy quarterback to land with the Raiders and Davis.

    Irsay was worried that Elway would use his minor-league contract with the Yankees as leverage to never play for the Colts. While Accorsi tried to hold firm and call Elway's bluff, teams often went over the GM's head and called Irsay with offers.

    So, before the draft, when someone from the Raiders called Accorsi and said, "Mr. Davis wants to know what it would take to get the rights to Elway," the response was, "You don't have the arsenal."

    Accorsi wanted the three No. 1s and a No. 2 -- with a top 10 choice. The Raiders had the 26th choice in Round 1, but were prepared to send Chicago several players to also acquire the sixth spot. Accorsi agreed to accept the Raiders' No. 1 pick in 1984, too.

    Everything was in place -- except the final go-ahead from Rozelle. That never came.

    "Davis had his suspicions that Pete killed it," Accorsi said. "All I knew was I was going to get the best deal ever or I wasn't trading him."

    True to his word, Accorsi didn't trade Elway. Irsay did.

    Now, let the record show that all that prevented Elway from becoming a Raider was Rozelle.


    That would've been a disaster!!
    Administrator


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Valley, Utah
    Posts
    2,394

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Elway actually almost went to a lot of different teams. The Raiders were simply the ones crazy enough to give up just about everything to get him.

    If Elway had wound up with the Raiders, with the depleted draft picks and players (traded to get him there), he never would have developed into the quarterback that he did.

    Thank God for the Yankees and Dan Reeves !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    So. Cal
    Posts
    4,443
    Thank God for Rozelle!!! I couldnt imagine #7 in silver and black and the thought of it makes my head spin.......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Well, Elway didn't want to go to Baltimore because he and his father thought Irsay was crazy. So, I can only imagine what his thoughts would be on Al Davis.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    5,099
    That would be a nightmare, I could never imagine Elway not being a Bronco!

    On a lighter note, I do have these wonderful dreams about Plummer being a Raider and getting hit and sacked over and over again by Bronco Players!

    ...Master Protagonist...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,409
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730
    Well, Elway didn't want to go to Baltimore because he and his father thought Irsay was crazy. So, I can only imagine what his thoughts would be on Al Davis.

    Very true.

    I don't think he would've liked it much.
    Administrator


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, Cali
    Posts
    40
    hmm elway not a bronco..... nope cant picture it.. he was destined to play and retire in the orange and blue.
    [img]http://cache.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/Top%20Stories/2005/lynch_john_051224.jpg[/img]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spain / New York City
    Posts
    6,235
    Quote Originally Posted by RunYouOver
    That would've been a disaster!!
    The hell you say. Depends on how you look at it.

    This is news to me but still, losing Bo Jackson was the worse ever.

    Trading Gruden #2
    The Marcus Allen Fiasco #3
    And this is now #4

    Wow, Elway with Marcus Allen (and Bo Jackson) and Todd Christensen who was great in his prime. Not sure if we would've had Tim Brown since I doubt our record would've been bad in 1987 with Elway. Too many ifs, with the losing of the 1st rounders and all, who knows. But the thought does tickle the brain.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,722
    I wish he was traded somewhere in the NFC, and maybe the browns would have some superbowl rings right now...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    2,728
    I bet if Elway was drafted a Raider, theres no way he spends his entire career in Oakland. Al Davis wouldve canned him somewhere along the way. He would probably would have become a journeyman.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,464
    Quote Originally Posted by lancane
    That would be a nightmare, I could never imagine Elway not being a Bronco!

    On a lighter note, I do have these wonderful dreams about Plummer being a Raider and getting hit and sacked over and over again by Bronco Players!


    Knowing davis he would have gotten him killed surroundng him with other clowns like he has since the first superbowl visit.

    Davis is the clown prince of vertical.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by RunYouOver
    Don't know if this has ever been posted here, but I found this article very interesting....

    Sunday, October 29, 2006
    BY PAUL NEEDELL
    Star-Ledger Staff

    John Elway a Raider?

    According to two people with knowledge of a potential pre-draft trade, the Colts had reached a deal to send the No. 1 pick of the 1983 draft to the Raiders -- only to have the deal blocked by NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle.

    "We almost had Elway, but Pete Rozelle voided the trade," former Raiders personnel man Ron Wolf told The Star-Ledger last week. "We had the trade set up with Baltimore, but Pete wouldn't let it happen."

    Rozelle and Raiders owner Davis spent many years in the 1980s in courtrooms over the Raiders' move from Oakland to Los Angeles, among other issues. Simply put, the two didn't like each other.

    Ernie Accorsi, then the GM of the Colts, now the Giants' GM, confirmed a deal was in place with the Raiders that would have netted Baltimore an unprecedented three No. 1 picks and two No. 2s. One of the No. 1s, Accorsi said, would have been the sixth overall, which the Raiders had arranged to acquire from the Bears.

    "Yeah, it's never been written, but I was going to make the deal only if it included getting back a top 10 pick," Accorsi said. "I wanted to make sure we still got (Hall of Fame quarterback) Dan Marino. I wasn't going to trade Elway for anything less than the best package ever."

    Wolf said he didn't know the details of the almost-trade, but said he was was told by someone in the Colts' organization that "it was much better" than what Baltimore later received from the Broncos for Elway after the draft. That deal included back-up QB Mark Hermann, tackle Chris Hinton and a first-round draft pick.

    The deal apparently had been made by Davis and late Colts owner Robert Irsay.

    So what happened?

    "Irsay capitulated with the commissioner," Wolf said.

    Even late Bears general manager Jim Finks was baffled. Accorsi said he called him and said, "Are we getting (played) here? Because somebody's killed the deal, and it's not me."

    All parties thought a trade was set for the glamour-boy quarterback to land with the Raiders and Davis.

    Irsay was worried that Elway would use his minor-league contract with the Yankees as leverage to never play for the Colts. While Accorsi tried to hold firm and call Elway's bluff, teams often went over the GM's head and called Irsay with offers.

    So, before the draft, when someone from the Raiders called Accorsi and said, "Mr. Davis wants to know what it would take to get the rights to Elway," the response was, "You don't have the arsenal."

    Accorsi wanted the three No. 1s and a No. 2 -- with a top 10 choice. The Raiders had the 26th choice in Round 1, but were prepared to send Chicago several players to also acquire the sixth spot. Accorsi agreed to accept the Raiders' No. 1 pick in 1984, too.

    Everything was in place -- except the final go-ahead from Rozelle. That never came.

    "Davis had his suspicions that Pete killed it," Accorsi said. "All I knew was I was going to get the best deal ever or I wasn't trading him."

    True to his word, Accorsi didn't trade Elway. Irsay did.

    Now, let the record show that all that prevented Elway from becoming a Raider was Rozelle.


    That would've been a disaster!!
    [IMG]http://images.nfl.com/photos/img6909151.jpg[/IMG]

    This is NOT Champ Baily

    we'll miss you Clinton.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spain / New York City
    Posts
    6,235
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStampede
    I bet if Elway was drafted a Raider, theres no way he spends his entire career in Oakland. Al Davis wouldve canned him somewhere along the way. He would probably would have become a journeyman.
    Really? Please explain. This outta be good.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    500
    You made this up for halloween, huh.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



TRUSTe Certified Privacy Seal