• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ksubroncosfan
    Playmaker
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Diggs4 View Post
    I trust the tape, Samuel is fast and quicker no question.

Combine cone drills are mehh... it's all based off counting your steps and being efficient.
    Half a second is A LOT of time dude. That's more than just counting your steps and being efficient. Especially when you consider the fact that Samuel is faster than McCaffrey. Think about the difference between someone that runs a 4.5 forty and a 5.0. The difference is slightly less than that because the drill lasts about two seconds longer. Samuel is definitely faster, but Christian has better change of direction, easily.

Speaking of...

I have to admit that I made a mistake. Arguing "quickness" was not where I meant to go with it. I was actually thinking of agility when I was typing earlier. Because to me, based on the tape and the combine, Christian is more agile. Which is far more important of a rb than straight ahead speed. Especially when the more agile player isn't lacking in speed. So, that's my foolish self's fault for mixing that up.

But, Samuel runs jet sweep real nicely...
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 04-08-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Diggs4
      Practice Squad
      • Dec 2004

Again, Ill trust what I've seen on Saturdays as it relates to Samuel's quickness...

My fingers area crossed that we DONT draft Cmac.

I'm just not impressed by a guy who mostly ran out of 22 personnel, had a great Oline and the majority of his runs were wide open holes which Ronnie Hillman would have scored on, and if he made people miss, it was one cut, kudos to the defender for not breaking down

Comment

• ksubroncosfan
        Playmaker
        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Diggs4 View Post
        Again, Ill trust what I've seen on Saturdays as it relates to Samuel's quickness...

My fingers area crossed that we DONT draft Cmac.

I'm just not impressed by a guy who mostly ran out of 22 personnel, had a great Oline and the majority of his runs were wide open holes which Ronnie Hillman would have scored on, and if he made people miss, it was one cut, kudos to the defender for not breaking down
        You just criticized a rb for making people miss with one cut. Welp, I've discovered all I need to know about responding to you.
        Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 04-08-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Bterres105
          Special Teams
          • Oct 2014

I love CMac, but I am a little bitter I didn't get to see him at the Sun Bowl, especially because that day was surprisingly freezing haha. I think it had snowed that day. Anywho, yeah I froze my butt off hoping to see him play at the bowl game my former university holds every year; only to find out he decided to forego the damn game.
          Last edited by Bterres105; 04-09-2017, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• ThreeGees
            Starter
            • Sep 2009

Why are you angry that he didn't play. He made the decision not to play many days in advance of the game and it was the right decision. Why risk injury in what amounts to an exhibition when millions in future earnings on the line.

Comment

• Rich_C
              Captain
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ThreeGees View Post
              Why are you angry that he didn't play. He made the decision not to play many days in advance of the game and it was the right decision. Why risk injury in what amounts to an exhibition when millions in future earnings on the line.
              I can think of a few reasons. First can he run through and break tackles amongst an elevated level of talent? How is he at catching the ball ouT of the backfield or short throws over the middle? ( the types of tosses we saw PM make to Moreno). And yes I am sure you can find a game or two where he did well in both but the bowl games generally have the who's who of the draft in them and are an attempt to mimic (all be it not as well as we'd like) NFL gameesque conditions and competition.

So for me I still have major questions about CMACS ability to run through tackles and force defenders to miss. I am thinking the types of runs we see from CJ where he runs through guys shakes of the tackles all while running forward for more yards. I also think it is fair to state that if he is relying on pure speed to make a guy miss then he better be making them miss by a mile at the college level. I say this because the NFL level defenders are generally faster and smarter than nearly ALL college defenders due to their respective competition levels.

Comment

• ksubroncosfan
                Playmaker
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                I can think of a few reasons. First can he run through and break tackles amongst an elevated level of talent? How is he at catching the ball ouT of the backfield or short throws over the middle? ( the types of tosses we saw PM make to Moreno). And yes I am sure you can find a game or two where he did well in both but the bowl games generally have the who's who of the draft in them and are an attempt to mimic (all be it not as well as we'd like) NFL gameesque conditions and competition.

So for me I still have major questions about CMACS ability to run through tackles and force defenders to miss. I am thinking the types of runs we see from CJ where he runs through guys shakes of the tackles all while running forward for more yards. I also think it is fair to state that if he is relying on pure speed to make a guy miss then he better be making them miss by a mile at the college level. I say this because the NFL level defenders are generally faster and smarter than nearly ALL college defenders due to their respective competition levels.
                I'm sorry, but you shouldn't need a single bowl game to tell you all of that. It's not like he's playing in the sun belt conference. Besides, He already set records in his previous bowl game against one of the top defenses that season. Granted, he actually had some help around him that season as opposed to this season when his line was poor, qb play was poor, and receivers were almost non-existent.

Comment

• Bterres105
                  Special Teams
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by ThreeGees View Post
                  1)It was a joke.
                  2) I never said "angry"
                  3) Usually pretty crappy teams play at the Sun Bowl, so to see somebody that may go in the first round would've been pretty cool.

Comment

• Diggs4
                    Practice Squad
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                    You just criticized a rb for making people miss with one cut. Welp, I've discovered all I need to know about responding to you.
                    That's fine with me. Most of his big runs just look the same to me, and at this level I think he will need to bring more to the table than cutting back against the grain.

The nfl is full of people who know how to tackle and not over pursue (except for TJ Ward on occasion). I'd just like a few more tools in his box.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                      Super Moderator
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
                      1)It was a joke.
                      2) I never said "angry"
                      3) Usually pretty crappy teams play at the Sun Bowl, so to see somebody that may go in the first round would've been pretty cool.
                      Mitch Trubisky played for the Tar Heels that day, there's a pretty good chance he'll be the first QB taken this year and that he'll be off the board before McCaffrey is. And there's another Stanford player (I believe a defender, Soloman something I think) who will go in round 1 as well. So there was some first round talent still playing that day.

Comment

• Bterres105
                        Special Teams
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        Mitch Trubisky played for the Tar Heels that day, there's a pretty good chance he'll be the first QB taken this year and that he'll be off the board before McCaffrey is. And there's another Stanford player (I believe a defender, Soloman something I think) who will go in round 1 as well. So there was some first round talent still playing that day.
                        Do you really feel like Trubisky is worth a 1st round pick? Or are teams just reaching for him? I can't remember the defense too well, I do remember the offense though. Both were pretty good on offense that day.

Comment

• champ&dreallday
                          Playmaker
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
                          Why a running back? CJ is pretty good when healthy IMO and we drafted Booker early last year. Think of how crazy our offense could be if we added a receiving TE like Howard. That leaves us with a decent run group along with two top tier receivers and a stud TE. this offence would be great
                          I seriously doubt Howard will be there at #20, but I guess you say that about Cook and McCaffery as well. However, I think one of them is more likely to be there than Howard. I say a RB because like I mentioned earlier in today's NFL you need a change of pace type back that can also contribute in the passing game. It seems like the RBs we have are very similar to each other. CJ has been great when healthy, but even though the line struggled last year, we didn't have any threatening depth behind him. We need that homerun hitter on the team with a young QB, and IMO both McCaffery and Cook have that ability. Booker shows promises, but doesn't pose the same threat.

Comment

• CoryWinget81
                            five thousand, 800 and uh
                            • Dec 2006

I think you guys have it wrong.

Cmac isn't Bush 2.0, I think Bush was CMac beta 1.0.

He can play all over the field on offense and special teams, and doesn't fumble the ball. Moving up to take him? Im shocked that we're that enamored with him but I don't think it'll be a mistake.
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• champ&dreallday
                              Playmaker
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

He can play all over the field on offense and special teams, and doesn't fumble the ball. Moving up to take him? Im shocked that we're that enamored with him but I don't think it'll be a mistake.
                              I'm with you. I'm starting to warm up a lot more to McCaffery and Cook at #20, but there's no way I'd be a fan of trading up, let's just say to top 10 to take either of them. I like his potential, but I don't see a guaranteed star. Dallas has a great O line that helped him, but Elliott was a lock in my mind to be a stud. Anyone moving up to get him would've been justified. I can't see that in this year's draft.

Comment

• Freyaka
                                Football Immortal
                                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

I don't think it's a mistake at all. We can trade comp picks this year and because of that, we have a lot of tradable assets to work with.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X