• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LSIGRAD09
    GO BRONCOS!!!
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
    There's really no denying how BioWare has been on a downfall since EA took over. I mean before EA got involved we got masterpieces like BG, KOTOR, ME1, etc. Dragon Age and ME2 were good additions under EA. But they already destroyed the DA series with DA2 right off the bat. TOR is a WOW knockoff and is already being abandoned by gamers. ME3 was supposed to be BioWare's redemption. Sadly, all it brought was more backlash. BioWare crapped all over their brand in just 10 minutes with a conclusion to a trilogy that should've been one of the best of all time.
    Now see, what is with the DA 2 hate? I'm just wondering, because I am aware of the out roar. I played through it twice, I thought it was decent.

Sure, it doesn't seem like the same franchise, but it was interesting enough. I think.

The exploration sucked though, talk about recycling.
    sigpic

Comment

• Amari24
      Starter
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
      Now see, what is with the DA 2 hate? I'm just wondering, because I am aware of the out roar. I played through it twice, I thought it was decent.

Sure, it doesn't seem like the same franchise, but it was interesting enough. I think.

The exploration sucked though, talk about recycling.
      One of the reasons you already touched upon in your own post. No one liked the idea of being confined to one city from the-get-go. And as you said, the recycled environments basically killed the bar that was set in Origins which had tons of variety. Above all else though, it wasn't a true sequel to Origins. It was as if BW wanted nothing to do with Origins when they were making DA2.

Is it a playable and decent game on its own? Certainly. But as a sequel to a highly storydriven game, it's one of the worse out there. Factor all of that in with ME3's fiasco, DA3 is really a jug of milk waiting to spoil.

Comment

• InsaneBlaze23
        The ArchAngel
        • Jan 2009

Gamers are taken another step in their outrage over ME3.

Bioware's Mass Effect 3 has earned plenty of praise from gaming critics, but a small, vocal percentage of players aren't thrilled with the game's ending, to put it mildly.
        And now they're bringing their issues to the Feds.
        A user on the Bioware forums who goes by the name "El_Spiko" says he has complained to the Federal Trade Commission about the resolution of the trilogy -- and he's calling on other disgruntled fans to do the same.
        "After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," wrote the poster (who we're assuming didn't file it under the name El_Spiko). "This is not somethign [sic] I was happy to do, but after the terrible ending that was in no way the product that had been advertised to me and the lack of any kind of response from Bioware/EA to address this, I felt it was one of my only recourses."
        He also encouraged others unhappy with the ending to complain to the Better Business Bureau.
        While the FTC will likely do exactly squat in the matter, Bioware is certainly under fire here. It's tricky to get into the specifics without spoiling the ending for those yet to experience it, but the gist is that there are actually three possible endings to Mass Effect 3, which vary based on the player's in-game actions. However, argue fans, the ultimate conclusion of the game isn't one that's based on how people played the game and is too open-ended. For a series defined by the interplay between player choices and subsequent consequences, that has some people seeing red.
        Before complaining to the Feds, gamers launched the usual online protests, including a petition and a charity drive (which has already passed $67,000.) A 'Retake Mass Effect 3' Facebook page has amassed some 42,000 supporters, and an associated Twitter account has over 4,000 followers.
        Bioware hasn't made any commitments to address the issue, but did take to Facebook early Monday to acknowledge the complaints.
        "We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending," the developer said. "We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.
        "Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive."
        Not everyone is hoping for a change, however. A newly formed 'Keep Mass Effect' group has popped up on Facebook to lend support to Bioware's original vision.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• DoomTrooper
          Special Teams
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
          Gamers are taken another step in their outrage over ME3.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...173411384.html
          Good, I really hope they fix that pathetic excuse for an ending. I've never been so disappointed about a video game in my entire life. The game was so good until the ending...

They better release free DLC with the new endings.
          Lifetime Broncos/Cowboys fan.
          sigpic

Comment

• Amari24
            Starter
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DoomTrooper View Post
            Good, I really hope they fix that pathetic excuse for an ending. I've never been so disappointed about a video game in my entire life. The game was so good until the ending...

They better release free DLC with the new endings.
            I honestly don't see BioWare changing the endings. They answer to EA now, and the fans will have to vote with their wallets and not Facebook groups and FTC claims. If EA notices the shift in their stock they'll react accordingly. One thing's for sure, they're paying very close attention to their numbers at this point. After BioWare's Twitter/Facebook goof-up -- their TIME and OPTIONS are dwindling by the day.

Anyways, if they do end up changing the endings there's absolutely no chance they'll be free. If they were smart, what they SHOULD do is release it for free, and then make it back with future DLC and a $20 ME3 expansion ala DA: Awakening.

Comment

• Skywalker
              Jedi Knight
              • Jun 2005

I haven't been in here to voice my thoughts about the ending yet, but it looks like you all agree with me.

99% of the game was amazing. The last 1% was horrible.

I think that was one of the worst endings to a series I have ever seen.

I'm also quite fascinated how they managed to ruin not only one game, but a whole series, in THE LAST 5 MINUTES.

I'm keeping a close eye on this Retake Mass Effect 3 movement, I've never seen anything quite like it before. This isn't like if people got upset about the end of a movie or something, the gaming industry interacts with fans a lot more and needs a better relationship with them to keep going. Add in that this happened to BioWare, a company that claims to work with fans to create the games fans want (but have been proving over the past few years that now that EA owns them, this isn't as important to them as it used to be) and this whole situation is very interesting.

I don't think EA/BioWare can simply sweep this under the rug and ignore the outcry about the endings, and I think there is a chance we the fans could win this if we stick with it. Hopefully anyway. I honestly wouldn't even think twice about spending extra money on an ending DLC, I want closure to my favorite game series of all-time.

EDIT: Also, this whole thing has definitely turned me from an Automatic Preoder Any BioWare Game fan to a Cautious Fan Who Won't Consider Buying Anything From Them Until I Hear The Reviews A Few Weeks After It's Released fan. I was able to forgive them for DA2, I enjoyed that game in it's own way, but this PLUS DA2 plus EA ruining the old BioWare is just too much.
              Last edited by Skywalker; 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• InsaneBlaze23
                The ArchAngel
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
                I haven't been in here to voice my thoughts about the ending yet, but it looks like you all agree with me.

99% of the game was amazing. The last 1% was horrible.

I think that was one of the worst endings to a series I have ever seen.

I'm also quite fascinated how they managed to ruin not only one game, but a whole series, in THE LAST 5 MINUTES.

I'm keeping a close eye on this Retake Mass Effect 3 movement, I've never seen anything quite like it before. This isn't like if people got upset about the end of a movie or something, the gaming industry interacts with fans a lot more and needs a better relationship with them to keep going. Add in that this happened to BioWare, a company that claims to work with fans to create the games fans want (but have been proving over the past few years that now that EA owns them, this isn't as important to them as it used to be) and this whole situation is very interesting.

I don't think EA/BioWare can simply sweep this under the rug and ignore the outcry about the endings, and I think there is a chance we the fans could win this if we stick with it. Hopefully anyway. I honestly wouldn't even think twice about spending extra money on an ending DLC, I want closure to my favorite game series of all-time.

EDIT: Also, this whole thing has definitely turned me from an Automatic Preoder Any BioWare Game fan to a Cautious Fan Who Won't Consider Buying Anything From Them Until I Hear The Reviews A Few Weeks After It's Released fan. I was able to forgive them for DA2, I enjoyed that game in it's own way, but this PLUS DA2 plus EA ruining the old BioWare is just too much.
                I agree with you.

I was wondering when you'd be posting in here again, I posted in a thread in the locker room that you've gone missing.

Anyways, i don't think Bioware will be able to handle it. They are gonna cave in and shell out a DLC to try in fix this massive problem.
                No developer, esp not one that claims to care about their fans, will let their fans be upset to long.

I can understand being cautious now, but not even DA2 made me cautious, hell I bought the latest DLC for it the day it came out, in I enjoyed it.

At the end of the day, I will need a lot of info leaked info on a Bioware game before I pre-order or not.

Did you ladies/dudes, know that the multiplayer was originally gonna be a FPS? It was gonna be Team Assault. EA kills single player games. Amari you better pray Crytek gains some brains in run.
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• LSIGRAD09
                  GO BRONCOS!!!
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                  One of the reasons you already touched upon in your own post. No one liked the idea of being confined to one city from the-get-go. And as you said, the recycled environments basically killed the bar that was set in Origins which had tons of variety. Above all else though, it wasn't a true sequel to Origins. It was as if BW wanted nothing to do with Origins when they were making DA2.

Is it a playable and decent game on its own? Certainly. But as a sequel to a highly storydriven game, it's one of the worse out there. Factor all of that in with ME3's fiasco, DA3 is really a jug of milk waiting to spoil.
                  I see what you mean. It really seems that Bioware is losing its touch. That ME3 ending kills me.

I'd be lying if I expected DA 3 to be much.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Skywalker
                    Jedi Knight
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                    I was wondering when you'd be posting in here again, I posted in a thread in the locker room that you've gone missing.
                    Nice that someone noticed

Anyways, i don't think Bioware will be able to handle it. They are gonna cave in and shell out a DLC to try in fix this massive problem.
                    No developer, esp not one that claims to care about their fans, will let their fans be upset to long.

I can understand being cautious now, but not even DA2 made me cautious, hell I bought the latest DLC for it the day it came out, in I enjoyed it.
                    I think right now they're hoping that if they ignore it, eventually we'll all shut up and go away. I don't think that will happen though, and they definitely need to start thinking about something to fix this as soon as possible.

I've enjoyed the DLC for DA2 a lot, but I'm still undecided about if I'm going to bother with DA3 or not.

Did you ladies/dudes, know that the multiplayer was originally gonna be a FPS? It was gonna be Team Assault. EA kills single player games. Amari you better pray Crytek gains some brains in run.
                    I remember when they first announced that they were going to add multiplayer to ME, that if it didn't take away from the single player experience I wouldn't be upset about it. Well now after that unsatisfying ending and the fact that if you want to get a high EMS (of course, who frickin cares about your EMS, it doesn't even really matter at the end since every single ending is basically the same anyway, the only difference being what color beam you would like to watch destroy the Relays), you NEED to play multiplayer, I'm kind of pissed about the multiplayer. Maybe the time they spent on it could have gone towards making a better ending, who knows.
                    sigpic

Comment

• InsaneBlaze23
                      The ArchAngel
                      • Jan 2009

Co-founder of Bioware has released a a statement.

As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

I believe passionately that games are an art form, and that the power of our medium flows from our audience, who are deeply involved in how the story unfolds, and who have the uncontested right to provide constructive criticism. At the same time, I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team. The team and I have been thinking hard about how to best address the comments on ME3’s endings from players, while still maintaining the artistic integrity of the game.

Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it. The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us. This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. We’re already working hard to do that.

To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game – industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. I’m honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team – we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We’re committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, I’d ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.
                      To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet c…

I have mixed feelings about it, I just hope they fix the problem and regain the loyalty of it's fans.

In Mass Effect terms, take the Paragon route.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Broncos:
                      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Amari24
                        Starter
                        • Jan 2010

Those are jedi mind tricks. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until PAX in April, but I doubt they'll release an entire new ending. Best case scenario is that they add clarity to the current crap RGB endings.

It's funny. The fans hated Fallout 3's ending. What was the first thing Todd Howard did? He came out and admitted that their ending (which they deemed good) sucked and fixed it. There was none of this "oh we're listening to feedback, but keep in mind we received great reviews from critics, see you in April". Classic PR tactics by the co-founder simply to buy more time.

Ultimately, I think it was a combination of EA rushing BioWare to meet the deadline and also BioWare having incompetent writers. I don't think MP had anything to do with it as that was made by BioWare's Montreal dev team. If anything, it was working on DLC before you had a chance to finalize your decisions in the main game's development. But I would've rather have the separate team work on the DLC and other in-game content than to have a MP that RUINS the SP experience.

Comment

• Cyrend
                          Practice Squad
                          • Sep 2007

God, I just feel flat out embarrassed for these people who are having this hard of a time dealing with ME3's ending.

It's just really, really sad to see so many people have such a sense of entitlement and be so absolutely childish about this situation.

I absolutely loved ME3, and liked the ending, but I agree there are problems with it. There were plot holes, and the I can see how the general vagueness can rub people the wrong way.

But I think a lot of this was due to the original leak of the ending before the game was finished, and they tried to patch it up and send it. They should probably have just pushed it back a few months, ate some money, and put more time into it.

But at the same time, get a hold of yourselves people. ME3 was one of the greatest games I have ever played, and if you actually use a little imagination and thought process, you can see how your choice at the end of the game shapes the ME universe for many, many years in the future.

Some people are so reliant on a damn cutscene to show them what is happening that when they don't get it, they just assume nothing happens. It's like they have to be spoonfed the story or else it doesn't count. Pretty lame to me.
                          Just a diehard Broncos Fan trying to make it living in Charger/Raider country (SoCal)

Comment

• CinnaMunMun
                            Killer Tofu
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Cyrend View Post
                            God, I just feel flat out embarrassed for these people who are having this hard of a time dealing with ME3's ending.

It's just really, really sad to see so many people have such a sense of entitlement and be so absolutely childish about this situation.

I absolutely loved ME3, and liked the ending, but I agree there are problems with it. There were plot holes, and the I can see how the general vagueness can rub people the wrong way.

But I think a lot of this was due to the original leak of the ending before the game was finished, and they tried to patch it up and send it. They should probably have just pushed it back a few months, ate some money, and put more time into it.

But at the same time, get a hold of yourselves people. ME3 was one of the greatest games I have ever played, and if you actually use a little imagination and thought process, you can see how your choice at the end of the game shapes the ME universe for many, many years in the future.

Some people are so reliant on a damn cutscene to show them what is happening that when they don't get it, they just assume nothing happens. It's like they have to be spoonfed the story or else it doesn't count. Pretty lame to me.
                            The thing that bugged me about the ending was that no matter what decisions I made during the first two games, nothing changed as long as I got the EMS rating up. I could have killed races of people, I could have saved everyone, and none of it mattered.

For a game so proud of its diverse gameplay options, the ending was really multiple doors to the same room. Seriously, go to youtube and look up all 3 endings. They are exactly the same with a few different colors essentially.

As an artist, the lamest thing you can do is claim a mistake as "artistic license". If Van Gogh painted masterpieces all his life then decided to make macaroni art as his final work it would have been seen as crap, as it should be.

So don't act like everyone is waiting to be fed an ending. I don't finish a book and imagine what the main character did between the final chapter and the epilogue, that is the job of the writer to accurately display.

ME3 was not one of the greatest games I have ever played, it could have been, but the end ruined the best quality of the game: the story.

Comment

• InsaneBlaze23
                              The ArchAngel
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                              The thing that bugged me about the ending was that no matter what decisions I made during the first two games, nothing changed as long as I got the EMS rating up. I could have killed races of people, I could have saved everyone, and none of it mattered.

For a game so proud of its diverse gameplay options, the ending was really multiple doors to the same room. Seriously, go to youtube and look up all 3 endings. They are exactly the same with a few different colors essentially.

As an artist, the lamest thing you can do is claim a mistake as "artistic license". If Van Gogh painted masterpieces all his life then decided to make macaroni art as his final work it would have been seen as crap, as it should be.

So don't act like everyone is waiting to be fed an ending. I don't finish a book and imagine what the main character did between the final chapter and the epilogue, that is the job of the writer to accurately display.

ME3 was not one of the greatest games I have ever played, it could have been, but the end ruined the best quality of the game: the story.
                              I completely agree.

That's pretty much summing it all up. For the most everybody knows the story in and out, so nobody needs to be fed anything. The fact that we know the story is even more so the reason for people being upset.

Go back to ME1 and ME2, then add up all the things you did in those games. At the beginning of 3, it seems like all that is coming together, then the ending pretty much throws all of it out the weapon.

Nothing you did in the first 2 games mattered in the ending.
                              Hey I got the Geth as allies and to work with the Quarians. End of the game, guess it didn't matter.

Hell the ending pretty much makes it pointless to make more Mass Effect games if they was to plan a game based off the ending.

All the relays are gone which was the center of the entire game.

Even more so, you shouldn't have to play multiplayer to have a "perfect" play through.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Cyrend
                                Practice Squad
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post

This is EXACTLY what I am talking about. I agree, the cutscenes were downright identical, but decisions you make influence the ME universe in ways that transcend the current shape of the galaxy, or "cycle", in ways that go beyond the little 2 minute endings . But by just watching the endings, you could argue it's the same result. SPOILERS: The mass effect relays are blown up, galaxy is stranded and seperated, etc. But each of your decisions, Destroy, Control, or Synthesis greatly influence how the NEXT CYCLE will be played out. It's more profound than just "Oh, I wanted my Shepard and his/her love interest to retire on some planet and live out their lives". It goes beyond that.

But people don't give a crap about any of that and just want to see a clear cut ending and be done thinking about it.

So I guess, to each their own. I would have liked a little more character followup, a little more showing of how your choice effects the galaxy, all that. But I hate all the negative backlash Bioware is getting because some people don't actually want to think at the end of thier game/series.
                                Just a diehard Broncos Fan trying to make it living in Charger/Raider country (SoCal)

Comment

Working...
                                X