PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning=Next John Elway..

Ravage!!!
04-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Did everyone hear that Archie Manning actually flew to San Diego, talked with the owners of the Chargers, and expressed how he doesn't want them to Draft Eli with the number one Pick?

The Dark Knight
04-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Ravage!!!
Did everyone hear that Archie Manning actually flew to San Diego, talked with the owners of the Chargers, and expressed how he doesn't want them to Draft Eli with the number one Pick?

Holy Crap! Really?

That's pretty crazy! well if it's any consolation, I don't want them to draft Manning either!

Javalon
04-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Are you joking? I don't know what to make of that. Do you think Eli ask him to do that or was Archie just doing what he thought would help his son?

Ravage!!!
04-21-2004, 08:24 PM
it was Mortenson giving the report. He said that Archie had first talked to the Chargers through Eli's agent.. but then today (yesterday?) flew out and talked with the owners himself. Mortenson said that Archie feels that the Bolts aren't a 'stable' enough organization and doesn't feel it would be good for Eli to have to play there.

I know Archie went through a tough time playing for the Saints when he was young and throughout his career... but THIS is REALLY over stepping his place. Now the Chargers have to make a choice. They can trade to the Giants (like they were thinking about doing anyway) or they can draft Eli as they might have done if a trade wasn't worked out. But this also puts the pressure on the Chargers to go ahead and draft Eli so it doesn't appear they are being pushed around and manipulated. I think Archie made a HUGE mistake with this move. Its going to put a black-eye on the family's name, when they were looked upon as nothing but class.

BlueDamsel
04-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Didn't Jack Elway do something similar for John?

Ravage!!!
04-21-2004, 08:35 PM
I don't think so. John simply had the choice of going to go play for the yankees.

BlueDamsel
04-21-2004, 08:48 PM
No...wasn't he supposed to go to the Colts or Baltimore?

*answered my own question*

(Although it's from the mane, which I know is not an "official" source, but many of the posters there were older than 2 when Elway was drafted)

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=8583&highlight=Elway+Drafted

Why did Elway come to Denver instead of Baltimore (or, was it Indy already ?) back in '83? Was he simply the benefit of a trade or did he (as I've heard) actively WANT to come to Denver? And, if the latter, why did Elway wish to come to Denver? What was here that wasn't there? What was Elway's motivation to desire Denver over Baltimore, if in fact this was the case?

You will hear many answers to this question, but the true reason was because John's father, Jack Elway and the Baltimore coach, Frank Kush hated each other. John said if Baltimore drafted him, he would rather quit football and play rightfield for the Yankees.

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-21-2004, 08:51 PM

lol that's funny

BroncoStud102
04-21-2004, 08:58 PM
lol how embarrassing for the Bolts.

broncofan303
04-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Great starting a thread about the overrated Manning family ...

the Manning family isn't worth all the hype, IMHO...

Ravage!!!
04-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Peyton is great, and is a class act. Archie has always been nothing but class.... I think this is just a humiliating move by Archie. I bet Eli is just burying his head in the sand after this hit the airways.

Ravage!!!
04-21-2004, 09:21 PM
I don't know how factual I can take your source..... but if we take the story as they say it, and take what I have understood. John didn't want to play for Baltimore (because his dad didn't get along with the coach) so John said to them that he would play baseball instead of playing for the Colts. But Jack didn't go to Baltimore and tell them that he would rather see them NOT draft John.

This is just embarrassing for the Mannings and the Chargers.

broncofan303
04-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Peyton is great, and is a class act. Archie has always been nothing but class.... I think this is just a humiliating move by Archie. I bet Eli is just burying his head in the sand after this hit the airways.

No doubt they have class but behind that class are average QB's, not great ones ...

Ravage!!!
04-21-2004, 09:25 PM
well.. I'll just agree to completely disagree with you on that one.

Bokyong
04-21-2004, 11:02 PM
That Manning thing is about the dumbest stunt I have ever seen. (If it is true) I mean come on your the top rated man in the draft everyone is speculating you to go either 1 or 2 and your complaining that you don't want to go to a bad team? HHHHEEEEELLLLLOOOOOOOO!!!!! and the superbowl champs are supposed to have the first pick in the draft? OF course your gonna get drafted by a bad team that is why they are drafting first.

IF he had that kind of attitude then he shouldn't have done good in college, and get drafted at the end of the first round to a "Good Team" that his father wants him to play for.

Getting drafted by the chargers is a good thing. At least Manning will most likely start. if we went to lets say the Patriots, do you think they will let the precious Brady Bunch sit on the bench while Manning gets playing time? No he's gonna end up like Carson Palmer and rider the bench all season long.

OK I am done with my Rant about this whole situation.

BlueDamsel
04-21-2004, 11:08 PM
"I'll either surf or ski"... ;)

Ravage!!!
04-22-2004, 07:25 AM
yes.. its true, and I couldn't agree with you more. Archie HAS to realize that his son is going to have to play (start) for a team that had a BAD season (duh). Eli was on ESPN radio had said that wherever he goes, he is going there to be the STARTER. So again, how many GOOD teams don't already have a GOOD established QB? Archie's thinking is flawed. The sad thing is that he contacted the owners through Eli's agent, THEN flew down there as well. So it wasn't just an off-the-cuff remark. Think about what this is going to do to Eli's popularity (early) if Eli IS drafted in SD! No fans want to listen to players say they don't want to play for your franchise, no matter HOW bad you are. They already know they are bad, they don't need college players *****ing about having to go there. Welcome to the NFL.

horsepower84
04-22-2004, 03:02 PM
I think they (Mannings) all just want him to play for the Giants.
I think they feel that he will fit in well with the offensive scheme there, and that he has a lot of weapons at his disposal if he plays for NY.

The Giants would gain a lot of ground if they got Manning, and quite possibly be playoff calibur next season.

Who knows, we'll see how it all pans out. I think he'll end up with the Giants either way.

Regardless, what Archie did was very unprofessional. The Chargers GM matched that unprofessionalism by letting it all go public.

Two sides are to blame for this fiasco, I just feel bad for Eli Manning that he has to deal with this mess...

broncos4ever
04-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by horsepower84
I think they feel that he will fit in well with the offensive scheme there, and that he has a lot of weapons at his disposal if he plays for NY.

The Giants would gain a lot of ground if they got Manning, and quite possibly be playoff calibur next season.

Who knows, we'll see how it all pans out. I think he'll end up with the Giants either way.

Regardless, what Archie did was very unprofessional. The Chargers GM matched that unprofessionalism by letting it all go public.

Two sides are to blame for this fiasco, I just feel bad for Eli Manning that he has to deal with this mess...

Here is one of the many links:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-manning0422,0,7941427.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Just look up Archie Manning on Google. Then select News Results. There are several articles.

The Dark Knight
04-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by horsepower84

The REAL reason is that Archie doesn't want to see he sons compete for Pro bowls and AFC players of the week and what not. He wants to see both his sons in the Superbowl and if Eli was on the Chargers or Raiders, then that wouldn't happen. It will make Archie feel better if his sons could dominate both divisions instead of one.

Just my theory anyway.

Ravage!!!
04-22-2004, 04:14 PM
I don't feel sorry for him. Now he's saying he will hold out a year if the Chargers DO draft him. Now I'm pissed. Now I think that I can never look at the Mannings the same again. I saw them as a family of class. Now I don't see Archie and Eli as the same.

NY Giants doesn't have a better 'system' for Eli. He would have to sit behind Kerry Collins.. the Giants had nearly twice as many sacs as the Chargers did last year. They don't have a running game NEAR like the Chargers do. This is ridiculous. I hope he goes to the Giants.. and I hope he falls FLAT.

I know some of you think I'm being hipocritical because Elway held out as well. So did bo Jackson. But these guys didn't "buck the system" in the same manner. They simply stated they would play their other professional sport instead. They had feasible leverage. I think what they are doing is making a mockery of the NFL Draft. The best draft in professional sports. I just never thought I would see such a selfish action from a Manning.

The Dark Knight
04-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Im telling ya, he wants Eli to play in the NFC for selffish reasons.

Ravage!!!
04-22-2004, 05:42 PM
very good point. I guess he feels as though his 'lil meeting' should be kept to 'themselves.' I've really lost a lot of respect for Archie during this whole thing.

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-22-2004, 07:35 PM
I mean think about it Elway didn't want to play in Baltimore and wasn't going to he was traded here in Denver, now Eli is gonna sit out if Chargers draft Eli and Chargers will waste a pick. What does this tell you? Eli is the next John Elway, nothing against John i'm just saying it's wierd.

BroncoStud102
04-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Eli isn't worthy of shining John's shoes....

Payton might end up the greatest QB of all-time if he starts winning big games.

Elway was the man, no doubt.

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by BroncoStud102
Eli isn't worthy of shining John's shoes....

Payton might end up the greatest QB of all-time if he starts winning big games.

Elway was the man, no doubt.

True, plus Elway played in Denver, Eli can't touch that.

Elway
04-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Eli no where even close other than to say they are both QB's. John had options with being drafted by the Yankees two years before. He stated long before the draft he wouldn't play of Irsay.

As far as wanting to be on a diff team... The colts sucked before Manning turned them around... Mike Vick is turning around the Falcons. Play for SD and turn them around, plus they will be far more forgiving than the NY media which will crucify Eli more for all his mistake, especially becuase he is a Manning.

BroncoStud102
04-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Yeah if Eli goes somewhere I hope it is far away from the AFC West...

I don't want to have to deal with him for 14 years or so....

He needs to go the Giants. That would be a good fit. Then he is Dallas and Portis's problem.

BroncoStud102
04-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Elway
Eli no where even close other than to say they are both QB's. John had options with being drafted by the Yankees two years before. He stated long before the draft he wouldn't play of Irsay.

As far as wanting to be on a diff team... The colts sucked before Manning turned them around... Mike Vick is turning around the Falcons. Play for SD and turn them around, plus they will be far more forgiving than the NY media which will crucify Eli more for all his mistake, especially becuase he is a Manning.

Yeah but Marty is a QB killer, everyone knows it...

Why do you think Archie was so worried about it? He can't coach a QB to save his life.

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-22-2004, 07:43 PM

Why do you think Archie was so worried about it? He can't coach a QB to save his life.

True, I mean I think Brees would be half-descent if he were on a diffrent team.

BroncoStud102
04-22-2004, 07:49 PM
I'll look for this link I found to SI.com talking about Brees....

His stats over his first 3 years are better than the likes of....

Troy Aikman
Kenny Stabler
Dan Fouts

A few other notables.....

I don't really think he is that bad, he just needs a chance and some talent around him. It's amazing how good our offense got after Wade Phillips aka THE IDIOT took over for Reeves.

Then add an offensive mind like Shanny, and we won some Super Bowls.....

Go figure what coaching can do lol.

Elway
04-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Plus I would take LT running the ball for me over Tiki Barber.

Marty is decent, when he has enough talent on his team. Something the Chargers don't have yet. They need to be more competitive to make more good free agents want to go there, like they want to come to Denver :)

BroncoStud102
04-22-2004, 07:54 PM
The game has passed Marty by....

It is obvious more and more each day now...

What could have been??? If Marty never had to play Elway in the Post season.....Too bad for him.

broncofan303
04-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Nicely said .. Eli is suppose to be like a Carson type, I think his fate will be the same..

broncofan303
04-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Yeah if Eli goes somewhere I hope it is far away from the AFC West...

I don't want to have to deal with him for 14 years or so....

He needs to go the Giants. That would be a good fit. Then he is Dallas and Portis's problem.

I say bring it!, I'd rather go against Eli than Larry Flitgerald or Roy Williams, those guys can do real damage...

Ravage!!!
04-22-2004, 09:59 PM
they did in college anyway. I would rather take My chance against a WR than a franchise type QB

Mile High Jedi
04-22-2004, 11:08 PM
The biggest lesson learned from the most recent post season should be this:

The only team stopping Denver from going all the way...is Denver.

We don't have anything else to worry about in either the draft or offseason. Regardless of who the Chargers take, or the Raiders, or the Chiefs, our division rivals are likely concerned about this:

Sooner and later they have to go through Denver.:fight:

Fat Joe
04-22-2004, 11:17 PM
C'mon now, would you wanna play for San Diego? Im sure LT will bounce when his contracts up. Thats a scary thing, let me tell ya.

Dub-DeuceKnight
04-22-2004, 11:23 PM
I like the point you made about Marty being a QB killer, but i think it is just the chargers in general, Ryan Leaf could probably have been a good QB on the right team but now look at him he isnt even in the CFL

BroncoStud102
04-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Dub-DeuceKnight
I like the point you made about Marty being a QB killer, but i think it is just the chargers in general, Ryan Leaf could probably have been a good QB on the right team but now look at him he isnt even in the CFL

I dunno man....

Leaf is a messed up dude upstairs....

I don't think he has the mentality to be a successful QB in the NFL. Could you imagine him having to drive you down the field in the 4th quarter to win the game?

Unlikely we would ever have seen that happen.

JRWIZ
04-23-2004, 12:01 AM

Marty is a second tier coach, good but will never bring a team to the promised land. Denver sure has his number. How many time have we cost him playoff berths?

Besides he is gone after this year, unless he wins a bunch of games.. Not even sure the team will stay in SAN.

Manning would be nuts to play for that team, their O-line is bad, defense is worse. About the only thing they have going for them is LT, he'll be gone as soon as his contract is up.

Oh the weather is pretty decent also.

NJbronco
04-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Oh the weather is pretty decent also.

don't forget john lynch lives their in the offseason lol

BroncoCat
04-23-2004, 01:24 AM
No -- it's not Eli that is apposed to the San Diego or Oakland draft it's his father, Archie. John was his own man.

Archie knows what it's like to not make the playoffs.

With Denver in front of the Division, KC next, Oakland and San Diego fighting for third and forth, they don't have a chance.

Besides Eli is good but there are a lot of really good QBs.
Remember John was great but so was Marino. See the list.
Where is Eli?

01 Philip Rivers. . . . . . . North Carolina St. . .170.5
02 Ben Roethlisberger .Miami (OH). . . . . . . .165.8
03 Matt Leinart. . . . . . .USC . . . . . . . . . . . . .164.5
04 Ryan Dinwiddie . . . .Boise State . . . . . . .164.1
05 Asad Abdul-Khaliq . .Minnesota . . . . . . . .162.3
06 Bruce Gradkowski . .Toledo . . . . . . . . . . .161.5
07 Jason White. . . . . . .Oklahoma . . . . . . . .158.1
08 Rod Rutherford. . . . .Pittsburgh. . . . . . . .157.4
09 Bill Whittemore. . . . .Kansas . . . . . . . . . .154.7
10 Kevin Kolb . . . . . . . .Houston. . . . . . . . . .153.8
11 Bradlee Van Pelt . . .Colorado State. . . . .153.4
12 Alex Smith . . . . . . . .Utah. . . . . . . . . . . . .152.3
13 B.J. Symons . . . . . . .Texas Tech. . . . . . . .151.3
14 Charlie Frye . . . . . . .Akron. . . . . . . . . . . .148.6
15 Matt Mauck. . . . . . . .LSU . . . . . . . . . . . . .148.2
16 Eli Manning. . . . . . . .Mississippi . . . . . . . .148.1
17 Jim Sorgi. . . . . . . . . .Wisconsin. . . . . . . . .148.1
18 Matt Jones . . . . . . . .Arkansas . . . . . . . . .147.1
19 Aaron Rodgers . . . . .California. . . . . . . . .146.6
20 Stefan LeFors . . . . . .Louisville. . . . . . . . .145.5

?? Casey Clausen. . . . .Tennessee. . . . . . .need to calc.

Eli is ranked 16th on this QB Power Rating Chart so a lot more is being made out of this #1 pick than should be.

I think it's all hipe...:cool:

sportsgeist
04-23-2004, 02:31 AM
John Elway didn't want to play for the Colts. Archie is the one who said he didn't want his son to play in San Diego but It goes to show you San Diego is crap and they ruined another good QB in Brees.

azbroncofan
04-23-2004, 02:57 AM
freakin baby. i dont care how good his brother is(which is debatable), or his father is. jeez bob greise was good..it didnt make brian any better. eli needs wake up and go play for who ever drafts him. i think its funny that hes doggin the chargers like that but gimme a break. he hasnt done ANYTHING. i am not saying he doesnt have talent but gimme freakin break. u guys thought portis has a big head...look @ this guy. he hasn't set foot on the field of a nfl game, and he already thinks hes a freakin free agent and can decide where he goes. why does he think he's even going 2 be the first pick? needs to get over himself and just go and play.

azbroncofan
04-23-2004, 03:01 AM
atleast elway had a second option...he could go play baseball if he didnt want to go to the team that drafted him. wtf is eli gonna do if the chargers draft his dumb arse despite him not wanting to play for him?

The Dark Knight
04-23-2004, 04:04 AM
So your basically calling Elway a baby cuz he did the same thing.
And that's fine if he wants to go elsewhere, believe me, you don't want to play against him twice a year for 15 years. If he wants to go to the Giants, I'll support it.

want2bAbronco
04-23-2004, 05:18 AM
i hope he goes to the Giants and turns out to be a bigger flop then Ryan Leaf.

rockymountainhi
04-23-2004, 05:58 AM
I have said since the day Payton lost the Heisman and reacted the way he did that he was nothing but a whiny biatch and it appears that his brother is going to be the same way. I hope his ass does go to the Giants and he sucks!!

Tatortot
04-23-2004, 05:59 AM
You know that this wasnt elis idea for not wanting to play for the chargers. This would be the cause of Archie manning, his father. He flew in to New Orleans to talk about it and said he didnt want him going to SD.

THE SHIELD
04-23-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by azbroncofan
freakin baby. i dont care how good his brother is(which is debatable), or his father is. jeez bob greise was good..it didnt make brian any better. eli needs wake up and go play for who ever drafts him. i think its funny that hes doggin the chargers like that but gimme a break. he hasnt done ANYTHING. i am not saying he doesnt have talent but gimme freakin break. u guys thought portis has a big head...look @ this guy. he hasn't set foot on the field of a nfl game, and he already thinks hes a freakin free agent and can decide where he goes. why does he think he's even going 2 be the first pick? needs to get over himself and just go and play.

Eli is a Ryan Leaf anyway, so he might as well become a Charger to add to the tradition.

Mark my words, Eli will be hunting for a job in 3 years. Phil Rivers is the real deal in this years draft.

AsianOrange
04-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Eli is overrated. I think there are tons of QBs that can play in the NFL. He hasn't shown me anything.

THE SHIELD
04-23-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by eastcoastbrawla
I mean think about it Elway didn't want to play in Baltimore and wasn't going to he was traded here in Denver, now Eli is gonna sit out if Chargers draft Eli and Chargers will waste a pick. What does this tell you? Eli is the next John Elway, nothing against John i'm just saying it's wierd.

Eli isn't even the next Glenn Foley!

THE SHIELD
04-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by AsianOrange
Eli is overrated. I think there are tons of QBs that can play in the NFL. He hasn't shown me anything.

Smartest thing you've said all day!! LOL!

JED Bronco
04-23-2004, 07:15 AM
1. Some franchises have not upheld their end of the NFL by the way they lose all the time. Year after year after year. Why should they get the first pick only to squander it away with no supporting cast ( players, coaches, etc;). San Diego is a prime example.

2. I think all QB's know that it takes a team...Peyton is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Take away his support, in fact what could he do in SD???

Basically Peyton is fortunate and dad and brother are not!!

rockymountainhi
04-23-2004, 07:24 AM
You said it well JD!! :D

Jim
04-23-2004, 07:26 AM
He's just scared to play Denver 2 times a year :)

noregap
04-23-2004, 07:29 AM
All of you who are raggin' on Eli need to just keep quiet. The reason is that I can just hear the ***** fans who come on this board smacking the whole Elway thing with Indy. If EM doesn't want to play for SD (or if he's being influenced by his father or Condon, or Payton) why should I care? Who in their right mind would want to go to SD with Marty ball and their "steller" record over the past years? Not me!
Maybe those of you who are screaming to "let him go to the Giants....are fearful he may be as good as the press thinks he is and we'd have to face him twice a year if he goes to SD.
IMO let it go........I don't care where he goes......don't care if he is drafted by SD, traded to NY, or ends up sitting out.......why should we care? Am I missing something here?
GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ravage!!!
04-23-2004, 07:40 AM
don't take away from what peyton has done in Indy... please. Thats not fair to him. INdy was NOTHING before Peyton got there. He has ONE WR and a RB that hasn't done anything the last two years due to injury. I HATE what Eli and Archie are doing, but don't turn this into a "Peyton sucks too" thread when that doesn't hold water

AsianOrange
04-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by dhall26
Eli isn't even the next Glenn Foley!

What are Eli's credentials? Any major bowl wins? Any major awards?

orangenblue420
04-23-2004, 08:06 AM
What are Eli's credentials?

Same as griese's - his last name :D

P.S. There is never going to be "the next Elway" Elway was one of a kind, period - Those words should never, ever be posted on this board again -

nickmeyer
04-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Hell lets trade Jake plus our #1 for him sarcasime

broncofan303
04-23-2004, 08:38 AM

Agreed...dat a boy AO...

nickmeyer
04-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by azbroncofan

He is not a baby if you were in his shoes would you want to play for a team that has no sucsess with a QB ever, I sure as hell wouldn't I would rather play for the Giants any day than the Chargers hell I would even prefer to start my career in Arizona than San Diego as a QB, it is his life and he should have a say in were he plays

broncofan303
04-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by nickmeyer
He is not a baby if you were in his shoes would you want to play for a team that has no sucsess with a QB ever, I sure as hell wouldn't I would rather play for the Giants any day than the Chargers hell I would even prefer to start my career in Arizona than San Diego as a QB, it is his life and he should have a say in were he plays

haha, that's what I comes down to sometimes too, if you complain and complain, you get what you want....For Example, Mr. Owens...

Jim
04-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by nickmeyer
it is his life and he should have a say in were he plays

Thats not how drafts are supposed to work though!

nickmeyer
04-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Jim

Well maybe they all should just be free agents!!!!!!

broncofan303
04-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Jim

I'm glad it doesn't work that way...if it was up to Larry Flitgerald, he would want to play for the Vikings with his bud Randy Moss...um yeah, let's say its give the Vikes the title with Moss and Flitzgerald, even with a high school D...

nickmeyer
04-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by broncofan303
I'm glad it doesn't work that way...if it was up to Larry Flitgerald, he would want to play for the Vikings with his bud Randy Moss...um yeah, let's say its give the Vikes the title with Moss and Flitzgerald, even with a high school D...

No he would still want to play for Arizona he is closer to Green than Moss Green is a family friend

Mile High Jedi
04-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Zack Morris
how do you know that? really?

i like elway as much as an yof you but c'mon, be realistic and stop being a homer.

Zack, I hate to point out the obvious here, but in a message board like Broncomania, your likely to find quite a few homers, including myself. And I certainly don't plan on stopping that anytime soon.

Eli is no John Elway- not in college, not likely in the pros (with or without all the league changes).

JED Bronco
04-23-2004, 11:37 AM
don't take away from what peyton has done in Indy... please. Thats not fair to him. INdy was NOTHING before Peyton got there. He has ONE WR and a RB that hasn't done anything the last two years due to injury. I HATE what Eli and Archie are doing, but don't turn this into a "Peyton sucks too" thread when that doesn't hold water

EXCUSE ME!!???

Jim Mora and Tony D brought the Indy crowd back before Peyton came along. Just like Shanny did (only in reverse) for John. They had a good cast of players and Payton was a great fit. The only quarterback in history that could resurect the Chargers to respectability is John Elway. Payton is no HOF quarter back as many have said.

StlBroncosFan
04-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Well...time to put my two cents in...LOL

Eli IS going to be something in the NFL. He will be a great QB over time. It doesn't matter if he goes to SD or not. He will be good. Archie needs to let his kids lead their own lives and stay out of it.

As far as Peyton is concerned. Give the guy his props. He is one of the best QBs in the league today. He will be a HOF QB when his career is over unless injuries cause him to leave early.

SD will not be a decent team until Marty leaves. I am glad he is there. That just means two in the W column for the Broncos!!

NJBRONCOSFAN
04-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Anyone who wants to talk smack about Eli Manning, go ahead, but just realize, that if your a Broncos fan, your being very hypocritical. John Elway did the SAME EXACT THING. It is Eli's choice to play where he wants, and while i don't like it, i do respect it.

DDP32
04-23-2004, 01:05 PM
I am not a fan of players dictating where they shoud or should not play when they haven't proven a thing yet. That being said John Elway did the exact same thing and I doubt anyone on this board is going to bad mouth him. The problem is the Chargers have no commitment to winning and that comes from ownership and things will never change. Unless they get a change of attitude they will never EEEEEVVVERR win. It's because of that reason that Eli doesn't want to go there. Plus look at the head coach who has no idea what offence is about. If the chargers were smart they would trade him and get a couple of picks or players that will help the entire team and then give Drew Brees some talent to work with and see what he does but then again when have the Chargers done anything smart.

Hypnotic
04-23-2004, 01:31 PM
The Bolts are going to draft him anyway. Why trade the number one pick away when you can draft Eli and then trade him to a differant team for even more. This whole deal actually works in the favor of the bolts.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2004, 01:34 PM
I bet he doesn't hold out and re-enter the draft again next year. Do you know how much MONEY that would cost him if he did??? He wouldn't be the #1 overall pick again, and would cost himself MILLIONS in signing bonuses, not to mention endorsments...fan base... and anything and everything else.

I bet the Colts don't feel that 'drafting and trading' away John Elway was the best way to go. But Eli doesn't have the options that John did. I want the Bolts to draft Eli just for the sake of the draft, but I don't want to have to play against him twice a year for the next 10 either.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Some people here use the word 'hypocricy' like its going out of style.

THE SHIELD
04-23-2004, 02:05 PM
I hope Eli flops, otherwise we're gonna be stuck with a "THE MANNINGS" Reality show on CBS!!

Broncos28
04-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm tired of you guys talking about these two how they are babies and such and such. You talk about Clinton Portis being a baby about how much he wants to be paid for his worth. Look you would do the same damn thing. We all know that the average career for a RB is like 3-5 years. I mean I wish he didn't do what he did but he did. What if he would have gotten hurt like TD? Would he able to get the money he has now the next year? No! Perfect example is Ian Gold. He got hurt and can't get the money that he wants because of his injury. This is a game where you don't have real long careers like sorry @$$ baseball. You have to get yours so I don't blame Clinton Portis for doing what he did. He has to support his family too. And just 'cause he maybe money hungry or whatever doesn't mean we all aren't because we all work for that green as well, to do what? Support ourselves and as well as our love ones.

On Eli Manning, I don't want his butt in the AFC West. I don't want him being like Payton Manning and having to deal with him. Let him go to the New York Giants. I want the San Diego Chargers too keep sucking. Be lucky you don't have to play Michael Vick twice a year. Thank God For The Falcons! So all y'all just shut up about it. And I hope Oakland draft Robert Gallery because I don't want to be facing Roy Williams or a Ben Roethlisberger. So as long as the Chefs, ReChargers, and the Chokeland Raiders keep F'in' up I am all for it and if you're a real Bronco Fan you should support this as well. So what sucks for them benefits us.

And if the Oakland Raiders had the first pick in the draft and I was the number one player to be projected to go number one despite what team is picking, you sure darn well I'd be doing a John Elway and an Eli Manning as well because I hate the Raiders and I bleed orange and blue. F THE RAIDERS!
:fight:

JasonVSPortis
04-23-2004, 03:14 PM
this was an amazing post guys give it a chance :goofy: :duh:

JasonVSPortis
04-23-2004, 03:15 PM
only joking:fight:

The Dark Knight
04-23-2004, 03:52 PM
I don't blame Clinton Portis for doing what he did. He has to support his family too.

You make it sound like 400,000 dollars a year is not enough to support a family.

Broncos28
04-23-2004, 04:08 PM
You make it sound like 400,000 dollars a year is not enough to support a family.

You ever heard of charity? I'm sure he'd want money to start up his own charity or other endeavors to help other people. I know if I was in the NFL or the NBA I'd be pimping either one of 'em for as much money as I can so I can start my own charity and do somethin' to give back to the community.

The Dark Knight
04-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Broncos28
You ever heard of charity? I'm sure he'd want money to start up his own charity or other endeavors to help other people. I know if I was in the NFL or the NBA I'd be pimping either one of 'em for as much money as I can so I can start my own charity and do somethin' to give back to the community.

Whenever you see a NFL or NBA player give alot of money to charity, Remember that they get that money back come Tax time!
So they are not really giving it away. They are just improving their image. Some do it for the actually charity but all in all, it's just to look good.

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Broncos28

What $3,000?At the most!

bronco30
04-23-2004, 05:26 PM

he flew out there at the request by the commissioner who set the meeting up between archie n the bolts owners to discuss this....its not like he did it on his own IMO i wouldnt trust that organation either they've had 2 #1's n a #2 in the past 6 years n nothing to show for it...what i find ironic is eli's agent also represents drew brees n schottiheimer...

broncofan303
04-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
Anyone who wants to talk smack about Eli Manning, go ahead, but just realize, that if your a Broncos fan, your being very hypocritical. John Elway did the SAME EXACT THING. It is Eli's choice to play where he wants, and while i don't like it, i do respect it.

And it was wrong for Elway to do that, but some of us were -2 years of age when that happened..and that's in '83, this is 2004, this kind of stuff shouldn't happen nowadays..

RealBronco
04-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by BroncoCat
Besides Eli is good but there are a lot of really good QBs.
Remember John was great but so was Marino. See the list.
Where is Eli?

04 Ryan Dinwiddie . . . .Boise State . . . . . . .164.1

Sorry, couldn't resist :D