PDA

View Full Version : Draft ______ OR FAIL!!

jumpslash
12-18-2007, 09:05 PM
So, who's going to be this year's "Broncos MUST draft ____________ or they will FAIL!" guy?

If i remember correctly, last year the list included: amobi okoye, marshawn lynch, and laron landry.

I think my pick for this year's bandwagon player of the year will be kenny phillips. Who do you think it will be?

Beast#7
12-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Draft Okam OR FAIL!!

lancane
12-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Eeek! :eek:

I think it is a little early, but the favorites so far are Okam and Phillips!

Me, I will wait till were closer and have a better overall look at what the boards will look like...

Because Rashard Mendenhall of Illinois is my pick right now! :D

Max Power
12-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Eeek! :eek:

I think it is a little early, but the favorites so far are Okam and Phillips!

Me, I will wait till were closer and have a better overall look at what the boards will look like...

Because Rashard Mendenhall of Illinois is my pick right now! :D

Mendenhall is a stud, but I would take Jonathan Stewart over him. But I don't see why we would need to spend 1st round pick on RB, even if Henry is let go. But maybe Shanahan is tired of not having a true workhorse, so...

lancane
12-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Mendenhall is a stud, but I would take Jonathan Stewart over him. But I don't see why we would need to spend 1st round pick on RB, even if Henry is let go. But maybe Shanahan is tired of not having a true workhorse, so...

Stewart is a Henry clone, one cut and power without the injury issues... And I think Rashard is a true cut and run, downhill runner with power to boot. Both are good backs, and I never liked Henry...still don't and I am not sold on Young. Knowing my luck though Mendenhall will return to school and we will pick at 23rd overall next year!...lol.

:D

LordTrychon
12-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Draft Football players, OR FAIL!!

BVP
12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Im thinking Sam Baker, OT from USC. He is a beast on the O-Line.

lancane
12-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Draft Football players, OR FAIL!!

Hahaha... I can see it now, Mike Shanahan announces they have traded all their draft picks away, along with Javon Walker, Matt Lepsis and Ian Gold for ten over the hill moldy veterans, included in the trades is an officially signed Wade Phillips defensive playbook!

ROFL...

lancane
12-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Im thinking Sam Baker, OT from USC. He is a beast on the O-Line.

He may be my pick if Rashard does not come out, we need some new blood on the offensive line!

:salute:

BVP
12-18-2007, 09:39 PM
He may be my pick if Rashard does not come out, we need some new blood on the offensive line!

:salute:

Yeah, Lepsis is getting old and I don't know if Pears is gonna make it much longer.

lancane
12-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah, Lepsis is getting old and I don't know if Pears is gonna make it much longer.

Personally I think we should package Lepsis and Foxworth and trade them to the Texans for their 2nd Round and 5th Round picks...Giving Denver two in the second and three in the 5th!!!

Pears is cheap let him stay, then we sign Adrian Jones away from the Jets to man the right side, draft Baker to man the left...start Myers at center with Hamilton on the left and Holland on the right!

;)

hardcorebronco
12-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Hahaha... I can see it now, Mike Shanahan announces they have traded all their draft picks away, along with Javon Walker, Matt Lepsis and Ian Gold for ten over the hill moldy veterans, included in the trades is an officially signed Wade Phillips defensive playbook!

ROFL...

Well so long as Champ Bailey isn't in the "over the hill moldy veterans" list, then I am all for it!!! :D:laugh:;)

To answer the question of the thread. So far I think that the draft so and so or bust movement would be:

Okam, Phillips, or Connor.

We probably won't end up with any of the three... :P

jumpslash
12-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Great picks, i definitely agree w/ okam. What about kevin smith? he will probably move up the draft boards and people will jump on his bandwagon like crazy. "BUT HE BEAT BARRY'S RECORD!"

lancane
12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Great picks, i definitely agree w/ okam. What about kevin smith? he will probably move up the draft boards and people will jump on his bandwagon like crazy. "BUT HE BEAT BARRY'S RECORD!"

The little *** decided to return to school, I was hoping him coming out would inspire Mendenhall to do the same...fleflickbukabakshun! Hahaha...

I agree, Smith would have been getting lots of teams to drool over him, more so then I think Rashard and we could have secured him for sure!

;)

jumpslash
12-18-2007, 10:06 PM
The little *** decided to return to school, I was hoping him coming out would inspire Mendenhall to do the same...fleflickbukabakshun! Hahaha...

I agree, Smith would have been getting lots of teams to drool over him, more so then I think Rashard and we could have secured him for sure!

;)

Oh, did he decide to go back? he wants to crush barry's record for SURE then eh? (if he can do as well next year)

CinnaMunMun
12-18-2007, 10:12 PM

I think Kevin said he is returning to UCF.

EDIT: I'm too slow. :laugh:

BroncosTX77
12-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Personally I think we should package Lepsis and Foxworth and trade them to the Texans for their 2nd Round and 5th Round picks...Giving Denver two in the second and three in the 5th!!!

Pears is cheap let him stay, then we sign Adrian Jones away from the Jets to man the right side, draft Baker to man the left...start Myers at center with Hamilton on the left and Holland on the right!

;)

Looks good in theory, but on paper and reality Texans traded their 2008 2nd round draft pick in the Matt Schaub deal. ;)

lancane
12-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Looks good in theory, but on paper and reality Texans traded their 2008 2nd round draft pick in the Matt Schaub deal. ;)

Damn...them, damn them all...kidding!

Still there is Detroit, and Miami! :D

BroncoSexyDaddy
12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I just wonder how good would we be with 2 stud DTs up the middle :coffee:

Dream
12-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Nobody should be projecting picks and trades that aren't going to happen. Nobody is going to take Lepsis salary and give a second rounder for him, even with Foxworth. It's not a plausible trade. Secondly, there should NEVER, EVER be a "draft _____ or fail" mentality on this board. That will just set up people for disappointment. As long as the Broncos get someone who is deserving of their selection in that area of the draft who can contribute, that's what matters.

Ravage!!!
12-21-2007, 04:03 PM
The latest kiper evaluation has Okam being a 4th rounder. I hope we don't draft him in the first :eek:

jumpslash
12-22-2007, 04:37 AM
Nobody should be projecting picks and trades that aren't going to happen. Nobody is going to take Lepsis salary and give a second rounder for him, even with Foxworth. It's not a plausible trade. Secondly, there should NEVER, EVER be a "draft _____ or fail" mentality on this board. That will just set up people for disappointment. As long as the Broncos get someone who is deserving of their selection in that area of the draft who can contribute, that's what matters.

Right...............but I think you're missing the point. My point was, who is going to be this year's "bandwagon guy".........i'm not saying because the broncos didn't draft amobi, laron, or marshawn that they failed. I'm just saying those were the guys people were jumping all over on..........it was just supposed to be fun thread, seeing who this year's "skyrocket up the draft boards" guy would be.

kratos_godofwar
12-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Draft Best Player Availavle OR FAIL!!

Seriously, I'd perfer this than to draft a need. I've always hated drafting the early rounds by need. It'll hurt you if that player doesn't plan out or you could have had a chacne at a stud player. Vince Wilfork and Steven Jackson comes to mind, but i'm happy with DJ as well.

But it is too early to determine who to draft, there's just to much games left to be played. Then there's also free agency, possible trades, team cuts, re-signing players, etc...

mid_evil_thymz
12-23-2007, 03:34 PM
With all the current needs in Bronco land I think that our most glaring and longest running issue is Pressuring the other QB's.
I don't know who I like best coming out right now but I think that if this is not addressed early then we are loking at another bad season. I liked the aquisition of Jarvis Moss last year. He hasn't put up stellar numbers yet but I think he will be solid with a little more experience.
Elvis is definately the man on our D' line but its easy to negate him with double teams when there's no rush coming from the opposite side.
The time given to opposing Qb's is killing this team to the tune of 40+ points at home.. Champs numbers are way down and Dre Bly should have had more int return opportunities, but the qb's can pick and choose with the time they get back there. Draft some Bigger D linemen and punch the other team in the mouth.
Wanna see the best DB tandem in the NFL flourish? then hurry up the opposing Qb's..
Mid_evil_thymz

jumpslash
12-24-2007, 12:33 AM
With all the current needs in Bronco land I think that our most glaring and longest running issue is Pressuring the other QB's.
I don't know who I like best coming out right now but I think that if this is not addressed early then we are loking at another bad season. I liked the aquisition of Jarvis Moss last year. He hasn't put up stellar numbers yet but I think he will be solid with a little more experience.
Elvis is definately the man on our D' line but its easy to negate him with double teams when there's no rush coming from the opposite side.
The time given to opposing Qb's is killing this team to the tune of 40+ points at home.. Champs numbers are way down and Dre Bly should have had more int return opportunities, but the qb's can pick and choose with the time they get back there. Draft some Bigger D linemen and punch the other team in the mouth.
Wanna see the best DB tandem in the NFL flourish? then hurry up the opposing Qb's..
Mid_evil_thymz

If you mean to say the broncos need to draft ANOTHER DE, you are terribly, terribly wrong. The broncos do not need another DE, they need DTs. The way to let elvis and jarvis loose is to get more pressure from DTs. I'll tell you right now, if the broncs draft a DE instead of a DT, that will not change the d-line sack production at all next year.

Schism
12-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Draft SUCCESSFULLY or FAIL!!

Simple really. :coffee:

DenBronx
12-24-2007, 11:07 PM
So, who's going to be this year's "Broncos MUST draft ____________ or they will FAIL!" guy?

If i remember correctly, last year the list included: amobi okoye, marshawn lynch, and laron landry.

I think my pick for this year's bandwagon player of the year will be kenny phillips. Who do you think it will be?

i started the draft lynch or fail thread last year and that was before we went after henry. now it seems like we shouldnt have went after henry and tried to get him or peterson. moss looks promising but we wont know maybe for a couple of more years. my point was cutler really needed to depend on the running game in order for the passing game to open up. can we honestly say that our running game has been stellar especially down the strecth? does selvin or henry do all the little things you expect like blocking or actually catching the ball 20 yards down field? lynch has ran like a beast this year and we all know what peterson has done.

then look what okoye and landry have already accomplished. last year we didnt see any fans saying draft moss or fail for a reason because moss simply isnt a top 15 pick in my opinion. i think we really reached to get him and we would have been better off taking a ballhawk like nelson or solid lb like beason.

but...this team is so messed up now and we are NOT one player away from becoming a playoff team. last offseason there were so many errored free agent pick ups and wrong personell choices that now this team is in total chaos. in the mean time i'll give moss the benifit of the doubt due to his injury...but if he doesnt bulk up then you might see him get hurt again and again.

thought id throw this out there.

lynch has 1010 yards and 7 td's
peterson has 1305 yards and 12 td's
henry has 691 yards and 4 td's

all 3 guys have been injured this year and sat out for multiple games. the differance is the broncos are known for their running attack.

henry SHOULD have gotten 1500 yards in our "system" especially for the money he's getting paid and at his age and with all of his off field dram i don't know if that's worth it...in fact i know it's not. and the broncos with all their offseason moves were considered to be the team to beat my many. yet these 2 rookies totally revamped both teams.

DenBronx
12-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Draft Best Player Availavle OR FAIL!!

i'm leaning towards that. teams plan all offseason up until draft day and you just never know what players will be available until you pick. right now as i said earlier this team has one too many holes to fill and if a stud dt is there then take him, quality lb then take him, stellar guard then take him, ballhawk safety then take him, if mcfadden falls to pick 9 then take him.

this of course is based off of who we choose via free agent and who gets cut.

DancingHorsey
12-24-2007, 11:23 PM
i'm leaning towards that. teams plan all offseason up until draft day and you just never know what players will be available until you pick. right now as i said earlier this team has one too many holes to fill and if a stud dt is there then take him, quality lb then take him, stellar guard then take him, ballhawk safety then take him, if mcfadden falls to pick 9 then take him.

this of course is based off of who we choose via free agent and who gets cut.

If McFadden falls to us we damn well better take him! :D

DenBronx
12-24-2007, 11:33 PM
If McFadden falls to us we damn well better take him! :D

i don't see him falling that far but i was just using him as an example. the jets or atlanta will pick him up....atlanta is looking for someone else to seel tickets now that vicks gone.

id like us to trade bly for a 2nd rounder and resign foxworth. foxworth is a much better cover corner than bly and younger at that...even his contract will be less. synder from the redskins was wanting him really bad last year...i wonder if he will make us an offer and possibly send us springs as insurance.

mid_evil_thymz
12-25-2007, 01:57 AM
If you mean to say the broncos need to draft ANOTHER DE, you are terribly, terribly wrong. The broncos do not need another DE, they need DTs. The way to let elvis and Jarvis loose is to get more pressure from DTs. I'll tell you right now, if the broncs draft a DE instead of a DT, that will not change the d-lines sack production at all next year.

No... I dont want to see us draft Defensive ends. We need to definately draft DT's. I said pass rushers. That's gonna include DT's. We have no push up the middle. Like I said its too easy to take Elvis out of the game when there is no pressure coming from anywhere else. I like Crowder and Moss don't get me wrong but they need time. Right now though, who is going to not only support the run stopping but also make constistant strides toward getting in the backfield on passing downs on that Line? Other than Elvis?
Yeah... that's what Im saying noone has so far.
We need to do Something. I mean damn I'm still reeling from the whole BROWNCO'S Fiasco. Isn't Jason Taylor coming up for free agency soon?

I'd give anything to have that guy on our team. We haven't had a decent pass rusher in Denver since Trevor price left. And to be honest he wasn't one of the Elite rushers in the league but he was at least good. When Our best chance at the QB is with with a linebacker or corner/safety we are screwed.
Draft D lineman with Pass rushing Capabilities or FAIL....

It's the AFC.
We have Brady Manning and Brees sitting back there with all the time they need. Nothing good will ever come of that. NOTHING..
Mid_evil_thymz

speedracer2411
12-25-2007, 12:07 PM
no one seems to be mention this guy but i say dan conner, phillips aint bad either

BF_forever
12-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Draft Phillips or fail

1st Phillips
2nd Okam

jumpslash
02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Looks like this year's candidates are, Phillips, Clady, and Mendenhall/Stewart.......

Too bad shanahan's gonna move up 5 picks and take Ellis............or move up 8 picks and take.............the wizard..........................:D.

I'm all for tradin' down this year.....I guess i'll jump on the earl bennett bandwagon.

lancane
02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
I am still saying Mendenhall...but we usually fail, sucks for us! :laugh:

jumpslash
02-24-2008, 05:35 PM
I am still saying Mendenhall...but we usually fail, sucks for us! :laugh:

haha, i've been told you've started a Mendenhall cult.........Is there an E.Bennett cult? if not, i will start the bandwagon now......

armchair scout
02-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Draft Owen Schmitt before the Raiders or fail for a long time.

This combine is shaping up nicely. It appears possible that we could land all of these players:

Dan Connor
Trevor Laws
Earl Bennett
Matt Forte or Kevin Smith
Owen Schmitt

if we get a third round pick.

jumpslash
02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
How did Schmitt do at the combine?

Zealander
02-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Draft a deep class of talent and intellectual football players... or die. I can't stand it when football players give a press conference and you have to work to understand whether they are speaking English or not.

jumpslash
02-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Draft a deep class of talent and intellectual football players... or die. I can't stand it when football players give a press conference and you have to work to understand whether they are speaking English or not.

what does speaking ability have to do with playing football? :confused:

stnzed
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
what does speaking ability have to do with playing football? :confused:

No kidding! You ever hear Bo Jackson talk?:D.

I'm not going to say Denver fails unless they draft a certain player (I can live with whomever they draft, even if I hate the pick! I've been doing it so long, it's old hat), but, I have to say that Jonathon Stewart's interview really impressed me......

Zealander
02-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Well the only real way I get to know professional football players is by their speech. And speech is a pretty good indication to intelligence, it's always good to have a smart player vs somebody who just has physical skills. Hopefully having a smarter player will give you the type who's not going to cause any problems for your organization.

Are you ever worried about Jay Cutler getting into legal troubles? Not so much.

stnzed
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Well the only real way I get to know professional football players is by their speech. And speech is a pretty good indication to intelligence, it's always good to have a smart player vs somebody who just has physical skills. Hopefully having a smarter player will give you the type who's not going to cause any problems for your organization.

Actually I kind of agree, though I think exceptions should be made for the exceptional players.

Every time I see Travis Henry talk he sounds like a punch drunk boxer, it's pathetic, so I can see where you're coming from......

jumpslash
02-25-2008, 04:29 PM

I guess. But both sides can be argued......Just because a guy is "intelligent" doesn't mean he's good at football OR that it guarantees he won't get into trouble..........on the other hand, sure......why not.......anyway back to the original topic.......

DRAFT DARREN MCFADDEN OR FAIL!