PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall

DancingHorsey
12-20-2007, 08:14 PM
After Lancane's glowing praise of this guy, I thought I'd check him out.

I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27cxAs7mGSs

All I can say is wow. Not due to his abilities per se (though he's impressive), but more because he's the definition of a Denver style back. Also, watch the interview at the end. He has a good head on his shoulders it seems.

If he declares and we can get him, we'd be idiots not to go for it.

Max Power
12-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Jonathan Stewart's highlights are even more impressive, and he fits this scheme too. Then again, what RB doesn't. Ok, Tatum Bell maybe.

I prefer Stewart because he gets more yards after contact than Mendenhall does. His legs never stop driving and he is one solid muscle. Kinda like Maurice Jones-Drew but bigger.

All that said, I'm against a 1st round RB.

kratos_godofwar
12-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow, everytime he hits that hole. He's pretty much being shot out of a cannon. Hopefully we can get in the second round. This is the kind of kid that we need to make our running game even more explosive.

lancane
12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow, everytime he hits that hole. He's pretty much being shot out of a cannon. Hopefully we can get in the second round. This is the kind of kid that we need to make our running game even more explosive.

If only he would fall! Unfortunatley Kratos the kid is a natural halfback, and the last natural halfback in a Denver uniform was T.D., this kid will be the 2nd to 3rd halfback taken in the draft...that is why if he comes out he is my top pick for Denver. Because out of all those I have looked at including Marshawn Lynch and Kenny Irons who I liked, especially Lynch...this kid is ten times better and more a fit then any first round halfback I have wanted to see in a Denver uniform!

;)

Beast#7
12-20-2007, 11:18 PM
If we keep Henry then this is completely shot.

DancingHorsey
12-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Jonathan Stewart's highlights are even more impressive, and he fits this scheme too. Then again, what RB doesn't. Ok, Tatum Bell maybe.

I prefer Stewart because he gets more yards after contact than Mendenhall does. His legs never stop driving and he is one solid muscle. Kinda like Maurice Jones-Drew but bigger.

That wasn't a highlight reel. That was just one game.

Jonathan Stewart isn't even close to being the fit in our system that Mendenhall is. Mendenhall was born to run in a zone-blocking scheme.

DancingHorsey
12-21-2007, 12:06 AM

If Shanahan opts for that turd instead of this kid, I think I'll puke.

DancingHorsey
12-21-2007, 12:08 AM
If only he would fall! Unfortunatley Kratos the kid is a natural halfback, and the last natural halfback in a Denver uniform was T.D., this kid will be the 2nd to 3rd halfback taken in the draft...that is why if he comes out he is my top pick for Denver. Because out of all those I have looked at including Marshawn Lynch and Kenny Irons who I liked, especially Lynch...this kid is ten times better and more a fit then any first round halfback I have wanted to see in a Denver uniform!

;)

So Lancane, do you think we'd need to trade down in the 1st to get him, or do you think he's going to be in the top 15?

Northern Lights
12-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I'd love to have him even if he is a reach at whatever spot we end up at. Being set at running back for the next ten years sounds good to me. I personally don't care about this never drafting a first round running back. I miss the days of a dominate Denver run game.

lancane
12-21-2007, 01:46 AM
So Lancane, do you think we'd need to trade down in the 1st to get him, or do you think he's going to be in the top 15?

Depends on how he and Stewart will compare in numbers to one another come the combine and their individual pro days. Mendenhall who is a downhill runner and is faster is not as big as Stewart, if I was to compare Stewart's running style he is a bowler, much like Jerome Bettis. It will depend on the teams who are looking for backs! I personally think both will be between 13th overall and 19th overall so in that small six slots is where I see them both going. Falcons may jump early on Stewart, but we could be in for a dogfight to get Mendenhall because the Texans will be close to us and they will have their eyes on this kid. Fortunatley for us, no one will think Shanahan will take a halfback and if we somehow jump ahead of the Texans, they will think we found a defensive player we want...and Shanahan will likely nab Mendenhall.

I do not expect either back seriously to be left at the 20th spot come April!

lancane
12-21-2007, 02:02 AM

If we keep Henry or not, is not the issue. We will be stuck with a nice chunk from Henry's contract either way...and I could see Shanahan walking into the draft with Henry on the roster and still drafting this kid, only to cut Henry after mini-camp! That is a Shana-madness for you...

Shanahan supported Henry openly with the drug issue and the league, but remember he defended Plummer after the AFC Championship Game, only to turn around and draft Cutler. We have all watched Shanahan for years, and no matter what he says you can tell when he is frustrated with players...think he is not frustrated with now signing Henry with that big guaranteed money? He fumbled on a key play, became a distraction no matter if he was innocent, and again for the fourth time in his career Henry was injured and unable to play a whole season...the only season he ever did finish out was I believe his second! Seven years and only one he completed, due to injury issues and drug use...I will say it, I do not think Shanahan is happy at all with Henry. And he can not afford to bet an entire season on Young and Henry as a tandem, cause just like this year they may both go down...and Hall I am not real impressed with, one good game...but other then that; he never did much to really make me say that he could be the main back.

In my opinion Henry is nothing more then a relief halfback who got lucky that Shanahan was in sorry need for a halfback last year! Even if we do not get Mendenhall, I see him bringing in some others, but I have a feeling if and only if Mendenhall comes out, we will see our first 1st round halfback during Shanahan's tenure!

Broncosinindy
12-21-2007, 02:08 AM

That was highlights from ONE game. not a bunch of his biggest. I like stewart but as i hear it this kid has better speed. and doesnt get the little injuries stewart does. i like stewart but this kid is impressive.

lancane
12-21-2007, 02:41 AM
You want to know why I think so much of this kid...watch this!

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1137942457?bclid=1119228130&bctid=1315750247

Classy, calm, cool and collected! ;)

Broncosinindy
12-21-2007, 02:47 AM

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1137942457?bclid=1119228130&bctid=1315750247

Add to the fact that he has low mileage is also a plus

Max Power
12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
What makes Mendenhall such a better fit than Stewart? Both run out of the spread option offense. Mendenhall is impressive but he was doing that against Wisconsin, a team with a bad rush defense. Let's see how he does against USC on New Year's Day. Stewart had 100+ yards against USC when they played this season.

Dream
12-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I've been pimping Mendenhall for a long time. If he declares it would not be a surprise to see him go in the top fifteen. He's that good.

lancane
12-21-2007, 12:19 PM
What makes Mendenhall such a better fit than Stewart? Both run out of the spread option offense. Mendenhall is impressive but he was doing that against Wisconsin, a team with a bad rush defense. Let's see how he does against USC on New Year's Day. Stewart had 100+ yards against USC when they played this season.

Mendenhall is a natural running back, he comes up and makes plays that no one ever saw coming. Get film of his game against Syracuse this season! You'll see that Illinois uses the shotgun formation much like us, but when the quarterback is in trouble that Mendenhall always made his way to a spot to aid his QB in either blocking or being a receiver out of nowhere! You think the play is over and he keeps going and going, that is what made T.D. so popular in Denver, he never quit...three yards and it seemed over then boom, it was a twenty-five yard run and that is what Mendenhall brings...

Stewart is a bowler, not that it is bad. But that type of runner is not a miracle maker, they just bowl their way to a first down. I have watched Stewart and Mendenhall extensively...I like Stewart I just see him a better fit for Atlanta, Pittsburgh or for San Francisco then I do for Denver, which is where Mendenhall would make a huge impact. Stewart has Henry's running style, the bowler and they can be playmakers...so do not think I am downing your boy. But Mendenhall is special in many ways, he has mentioned going pro and not for himself, but for his little brother! How many athletes do you hear say that? He comes up with plays that look to be shutdown...

;)

lancane
12-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I've been pimping Mendenhall for a long time. If he declares it would not be a surprise to see him go in the top fifteen. He's that good.

Dream!!! Good to see you again...:salute:

Glad to see you like this kid, because I know everytime I see him get the ball he grabs my attention!

:cheers:

Dream
12-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Dream!!! Good to see you again...:salute:

Glad to see you like this kid, because I know everytime I see him get the ball he grabs my attention!

Nice to see you too. As the draft nears, I knew I could smell ya coming. . .

I like Mendenhall a lot, he would be one player I would love to get in the first round. Exactly for the reasons you just mentioned above. . . he'll be an excellent check down option on screens and passes to the back when you're in a pinch. He's a perfect fit for this offense, and the only junior back that may have better ability for the cut back would be Clemson's James Davis - but he's nowhere near Mendenhall's caliber.

They both wear Broncos colors, I'd be excited if either of them continued that.

lancane
12-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Nice to see you too. As the draft nears, I knew I could smell ya coming. . .

I like Mendenhall a lot, he would be one player I would love to get in the first round. Exactly for the reasons you just mentioned above. . . he'll be an excellent check down option on screens and passes to the back when you're in a pinch. He's a perfect fit for this offense, and the only junior back that may have better ability for the cut back would be Clemson's James Davis - but he's nowhere near Mendenhall's caliber.

They both wear Broncos colors, I'd be excited if either of them continued that.

Never thought about the Illinois colors, but your right! Hahaha...

I just see this kid as the ultimate Bronco halfback in every way! Yes, I know Denver, or most Denver fans want to have this ultimate defense...but we have always won more by our offense then defense and with how bad our offense lacked several times this season, if Mendenhall enters the draft which I think he will...then Shanahan will have to look at him, and I do not see him passing on him...not with all he brings to the table!

Max Power
12-21-2007, 12:39 PM

I just see this kid as the ultimate Bronco halfback in every way! Yes, I know Denver, or most Denver fans want to have this ultimate defense...but we have always won more by our offense then defense and with how bad our offense lacked several times this season, if Mendenhall enters the draft which I think he will...then Shanahan will have to look at him, and I do not see him passing on him...not with all he brings to the table!

Heck, I'd settle for a competent defense at this point. It has been downright atrocious this season. Defense wins championships.

Dream
12-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Shanahan has and always will be an offense first guy. That's what he loves, that's what he's good at. I like the change of pace that Young and Hall can bring, but I don't like Henry at all. Over-priced, over-hyped. It's time to get Jay someone he can depend on for the next decade. You have the QB, you have at least one WR, you have the tight ends, you have the interior line. All we're lacking is somebody at RB and an offensive tackle who can prevent Jay from being murdered. I'd still like to get another WR too, but that's not too pressing. . .

Bates was brought in to help this defense get an identity, because Shanahan and company haven't been able to do that over the past five to seven years. I'll ramble more about the defense in an other thread, but Broncos fans should be VERY PLEASED if they opted to go for Mendenhall early in this draft. Like I said last year, it's the fans who get themselves hyped up for disappointment when they don't get the guy they want. Fortunately enough for me, four players I talked about all last year were drafted by the Broncos; so I didn't have to go through that fit.

People should just be pleased that we'll be in position to have a great draft and we have additional picks, outside our third and sixth. If the fifth from Oakland escalates to a fourth based on play, then that's another fantastic Day 2 set up and ready to go.

I just want these juniors to declare already. Until that point comes, I will not be doing any more mock drafts. Bowl games and declarations must be made. I'll give thoughts, but nothing final until that happens. That's when the goods start to flow in anyways. It's a shame tickets to Mobile where 600 dollars this year, otherwise I'd be there.

lancane
12-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Heck, I'd settle for a competent defense at this point. It has been downright atrocious this season. Defense wins championships.

Defense only wins championships if their offense is competent enough to score...

One of my favorite coaches of all time was my DB coach in College, he once said that same old line but with a twist - "Defenses wins championships, but offenses lead to the wins!" Meaning that while it is true what you do as a defense makes the difference, there is no point in it if the win is out of reach because your offense did not get you in position to win!
;)

If you shut a team down to only 14 points, that is real good...but if your offense only scored 13 points you still lose the game Max! And that is something this team has done a lot of in the past two seasons...

Max Power
12-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Defense only wins championships if their offense is competent enough to score...

One of my favorite coaches of all time was my DB coach in College, he once said that same old line but with a twist - "Defenses wins championships, but offenses lead to the wins!" Meaning that while it is true what you do as a defense makes the difference, there is no point in it if the win is out of reach because your offense did not get you in position to win!
;)

If you shut a team down to only 14 points, that is real good...but if your offense only scored 13 points you still lose the game Max! And that is something this team has done a lot of in the past two seasons...

truth, but take the Chicago game for instance. Our offense put up 34 points in that game, only to have our defense collapse at the end. Special teams also lost us that game. Don't tell me that 34 points isn't enough to win. And more often than not this season, the offense has pulled its weight, at least when compared to the defense.

lancane
12-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Shanahan has and always will be an offense first guy. That's what he loves, that's what he's good at. I like the change of pace that Young and Hall can bring, but I don't like Henry at all. Over-priced, over-hyped. It's time to get Jay someone he can depend on for the next decade. You have the QB, you have at least one WR, you have the tight ends, you have the interior line. All we're lacking is somebody at RB and an offensive tackle who can prevent Jay from being murdered. I'd still like to get another WR too, but that's not too pressing. . .

Bates was brought in to help this defense get an identity, because Shanahan and company haven't been able to do that over the past five to seven years. I'll ramble more about the defense in an other thread, but Broncos fans should be VERY PLEASED if they opted to go for Mendenhall early in this draft. Like I said last year, it's the fans who get themselves hyped up for disappointment when they don't get the guy they want. Fortunately enough for me, four players I talked about all last year were drafted by the Broncos; so I didn't have to go through that fit.

People should just be pleased that we'll be in position to have a great draft and we have additional picks, outside our third and sixth. If the fifth from Oakland escalates to a fourth based on play, then that's another fantastic Day 2 set up and ready to go.

I just want these juniors to declare already. Until that point comes, I will not be doing any more mock drafts. Bowl games and declarations must be made. I'll give thoughts, but nothing final until that happens. That's when the goods start to flow in anyways. It's a shame tickets to Mobile where 600 dollars this year, otherwise I'd be there.

I am in complete agreement with you Dream, I would love to see Denver go heavy in free agency defensively and use the draft to help the offensive side of the ball and add depth all around. Mendenhall, a good tackle and a solid wideout...could help this offense a lot at this point! My sleeper receiver is Bruce Hocker, who will be a late 5th to 7th round pick because of the small school issue. But Walker will have trouble returning, even if we kept him...he will likely be out most of next season again...Henry, well Henry is the league joke at running back next to Ricky Williams and our offensive line could not stop a flee from finding Cutler's ***...and when you surround your franchise player with what we have, there tends to be issues!

:salute:

Great Post!

lancane
12-21-2007, 12:56 PM
truth, but take the Chicago game for instance. Our offense put up 34 points in that game, only to have our defense collapse at the end. Special teams also lost us that game. Don't tell me that 34 points isn't enough to win. And more often than not this season, the offense has pulled its weight, at least when compared to the defense.

But we did not do that often enough Max, seriously we put the best points up against the worst defenses in the league and still lost some of those games. But we are only lacking a guy here or there to improve both Special Teams and Defense, get them in free agency or some and the rest in the draft, but we can not ignore the offense either...If Cutler does not have the weapons we lose, if he gets hurt because our line can not protect him we lose! Great we have our defense now, but because our lack to give Cutler what he needed we have a backup at QB startin because Cutlers on IR...see my point!

;)

Max Power
12-21-2007, 12:58 PM
But we did not do that often enough Max, seriously we put the best points up against the worst defenses in the league and still lost some of those games. But we are only lacking a guy here or there to improve both Special Teams and Defense, get them in free agency or some and the rest in the draft, but we can not ignore the offense either...If Cutler does not have the weapons we lose, if he gets hurt because our line can not protect him we lose! Great we have our defense now, but because our lack to give Cutler what he needed we have a backup at QB startin because Cutlers on IR...see my point!

;)

Fair enough, but let it be known I'm still not big on Mendenhall. However, he could change my mind with a good performance in the Rose Bowl.

lancane
12-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Fair enough, but let it be known I'm still not big on Mendenhall. However, he could change my mind with a good performance in the Rose Bowl.

There is always hope to convert another Bronco fan to a particular player! :D

Mendenhall should be fun to watch in the bowl game, more so watch how he comes up in a pinch and changes the tempo for Illinois, and the way they use and utilize the shotgun formation...it should remind you of the Broncos of the mid to late 90's!

;)

Max Power
12-21-2007, 01:05 PM
There is always hope to convert another Bronco fan to a particular player! :D

Mendenhall should be fun to watch in the bowl game, more so watch how he comes up in a pinch and changes the tempo for Illinois, and the way they use and utilize the shotgun formation...it should remind you of the Broncos of the mid to late 90's!

;)

Unfortunately, he is going up against the Goliath that is USC. Fight on! (yes, I'm a Trojans fan)

Dream
12-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I like Stewart too, but it's kind of a given that Mendenhall is more the type of back the Broncos would be looking for. Especially with all the screens and dump off passes we're seeing to our backs, and the fact that Mendenhall has better hands and has extensive experience in that regard in that spread going on over in Illinois. Also, how he outperformed Stewart all together this year. I can't see how anyone wouldn't be impressed by him.

Max Power
12-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I like Stewart too, but it's kind of a given that Mendenhall is more the type of back the Broncos would be looking for. Especially with all the screens and dump off passes we're seeing to our backs, and the fact that Mendenhall has better hands and has extensive experience in that regard in that spread going on over in Illinois. Also, how he outperformed Stewart all together this year. I can't see how anyone wouldn't be impressed by him.

Well for starters, most of his big games came against the cupcakes of the Big 10. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all held him to under 100 yards rushing, as did Missouri in the season opener. He also has the advantage of playing in the friendly spread offense with a dual-threat QB who may take it himself at any time. Also, this is only his first really productive season. Sure, some of those things can be said for Stewart, but Stewart is an unreal physical specimen. Another thing is I'm an avid USC and Pac-10 fan, so I'm kinda biased too. Stewart played well against my Trojans, who have one of the top ranked defenses in the nation.

ChrisSimpy
12-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Well for starters, most of his big games came against the cupcakes of the Big 10. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all held him to under 100 yards rushing, as did Missouri in the season opener. He also has the advantage of playing in the friendly spread offense with a dual-threat QB who may take it himself at any time. Also, this is only his first really productive season. Sure, some of those things can be said for Stewart, but Stewart is an unreal physical specimen. Another thing is I'm an avid USC and Pac-10 fan, so I'm kinda biased too. Stewart played well against my Trojans, who have one of the top ranked defenses in the nation.
I believe he split carries last year is why I'm about 70% sure but could be wrong.
I watched him alot this year and he impressed me. You could say almost the exact same statements against Stewart Dual threat yadda yadda.
Personally I dont think denver goes RB in 1st round Unless Value dropped to us (I really wish we would get one of the two though;) ) Also Mendenhall doesn't have the little nagging injuries as much as Stewart

All in all I would love either of them in the first round or Phillips but we will have to wait and see :cheers:

Max Power
12-21-2007, 02:59 PM
I know about Stewart's nagging injuries. It doesn't take away from him as a prospect. Who know who else had nagging injuries in college? Marshawn Lynch. How's he doing right about now?

Max Power
12-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Look at Mendenhall's statistics against some of Illinois' tougher opponents this season:

Missouri: 11 ATT, 33 YDS, 2 TD, 3.0 AVG
Penn State: 18 ATT, 76 YDS, 1 TD, 4.2 AVG
@ Iowa: 15 ATT, 67 YDS, 0 TD, 4.5 AVG
Michigan: 18 ATT, 85 YDS, 0 TD, 4.7 AVG
@ Ohio State: 26 ATT, 88 YDS, 0 TD, 3.4 AVG

As you can see, his stats in some of those tougher matchups are hardly eye-popping. Now if he goes off on USC for 100+ yards and 2 or more TDs, I will give the kid a break. If not, well I'll still be harping that he doesn't show up in big games, and does not merit the hype or a top 15 pick.

And before someone counters by posting Stewart's stats, let it be known that I don't want him either. I'm a staunch advocate of a defensive draft, preferably starting in round 1.

DancingHorsey
12-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Look at Mendenhall's statistics against some of Illinois' tougher opponents this season:

As you can see, his stats in some of those tougher matchups are hardly eye-popping. Now if he goes off on USC for 100+ yards and 2 or more TDs, I will give the kid a break. If not, well I'll still be harping that he doesn't show up in big games, and does not merit the hype or a top 15 pick.

And before someone counters by posting Stewart's stats, let it be known that I don't want him either. I'm a staunch advocate of a defensive draft, preferably starting in round 1.

Except for the Missouri and Ohio State games, those weren't what I would call bad performances. Beyond that, I look at a player's overall running style and tendencies more than stats. Those five games hardly dissuade me.

And if you just don't want a running back in the 1st, you should say so rather than arguing for a different back.

Max Power
12-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Except for the Missouri and Ohio State games, those weren't what I would call bad performances. Beyond that, I look at a player's overall running style and tendencies more than stats. Those five games hardly dissuade me.

And if you just don't want a running back in the 1st, you should say so rather than arguing for a different back.

Guess you missed the part where I said I didn't want Stewart either.

Lots of backs have nice running styles and tendencies. I look for production. Mendenhall racked up his stats against juggernauts like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ball State, and Indiana.

He's a good runner, but I really don't see anything exceptional about him watching him play.

DancingHorsey
12-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Guess you missed the part where I said I didn't want Stewart either.

I saw that. That was why I said what I did.

Nick
12-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Pretty familiar with Rashard Mendenhall and have him listed as #2 if he comes out. I was looking back at his Bio and saw that his brother was on the team. Walter Mendenhall. Was pretty surprised by that.

He only had 2 carries and in the first game of 06 for five yards and four carries in 07. Only suited up four times. Against Minnesota Mendenhall gave way to his brother, Walter a junior running back, Walter Mendenhall rushed for 57 yards on four carries.

So not near of a athlete in football but found that pretty cool.

dbdom
12-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Watching the youtube video of Mendenhall against Wisconsin, I believe he's a decent back. He definitely hits the hole very hard and has got good burst to the line but as far as I can tell, he doesnt seem to run with a lot of power or finish off his runs. At times he runs a little too upright and therefore gets stood up in the tackle and driven back whereas he could probably gain a yard or two more if he squared his shoulders and took on the tackler. From the evidence of one game, seems ok at finding the lanes to run and reading his blocks but it is hard to tell because there were some huge holes in that game for him to run through. He would definitely fit the Broncos run game with a one cut north-south style and if he can read his blocks decently then playing in a zone-blocking scheme would suit him.

DancingHorsey
12-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Watching the youtube video of Mendenhall against Wisconsin, I believe he's a decent back. He definitely hits the hole very hard and has got good burst to the line but as far as I can tell, he doesnt seem to run with a lot of power or finish off his runs. At times he runs a little too upright and therefore gets stood up in the tackle and driven back whereas he could probably gain a yard or two more if he squared his shoulders and took on the tackler. From the evidence of one game, seems ok at finding the lanes to run and reading his blocks but it is hard to tell because there were some huge holes in that game for him to run through. He would definitely fit the Broncos run game with a one cut north-south style and if he can read his blocks decently then playing in a zone-blocking scheme would suit him.

I noticed some of what you're referring to as far as not finishing off his runs. That said there were a couple runs where he showed a lot of power and determination. The three yard backwards leg drive on one play comes to mind or the eight yard TD run where he broke two tackles and went in standing up. He certainly looks to have a lot of power, but he needs to learn how to use it more effectively.

jetrazor74
12-22-2007, 09:59 AM

Lan, you've got me sold on this guy. Hope he declares!

jetrazor74
12-22-2007, 10:24 AM

If you're looking at total rushing yards in these games then, yes, it's not all that eye-popping, but look at the averages in 3 of those games.... anything over 3.5 ypc doing good, and if you're over 4, well.... I think that speaks for itself. :salute:

I'll shut up now:speech:, 'cuz I don't know a whole lot when it comes to draft and college prospects, I just wanted to point that out.:D

lancane
12-22-2007, 11:30 AM

The thing to watch though is what his offensive line lacks and the production he still gains behind the Illinois line. A lot of times they open a hole which closes just as quick, when it doesn't his production is vastly improved...now take a kid with his running style and put him in a proven system like the Broncos! When I say that I do not mean anything against Illinois, but who was the last halfback they had drafted in the first round? They produce good ball players and that is a fact, but this kid is a natural; much like Cutler he is a proven player on a team not known to produce the greatest products at a particular position. In a scheme like Denvers where we run outside, inside, use screens and so forth...this kid would be one of the better halfbacks in the league, plus with his capability in the run and pass game he is not only a good halfback who will take pressure of Cutler, he is also another weapon for Cutler!

lancane
12-22-2007, 11:33 AM

You forgot to mention that Mendenhall is the captain and leader of his team, and those stats do not say anything about how Illinois has two other halfbacks that share carries and it takes away from Mendenhall's numbers or that Illinois has one of the better rushing quarterbacks in College football!

;)

Dream
12-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Don't know if this was posted, even though it's pretty much a given (Wouldn't you say Lancane?) - but yeah! Great news. RUN THE ROCK WITH THIS KID.

2/10/07 - Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall is leaning towards declaring for the NFL draft. If quotes from Mendenhall and his mother mean anything, it sounds very unlikely that Mendenhall will be in Champaign next season. - USA TODAY Sports, Chicago Tribune

lancane
12-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Don't know if this was posted, even though it's pretty much a given (Wouldn't you say Lancane?) - but yeah! Great news. RUN THE ROCK WITH THIS KID.

2/10/07 - Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall is leaning towards declaring for the NFL draft. If quotes from Mendenhall and his mother mean anything, it sounds very unlikely that Mendenhall will be in Champaign next season. - USA TODAY Sports, Chicago Tribune

Great find Dream!

There are a couple news agencies also reporting that Rashard Mendenhall is thinking of going pro for his brother, who is also a running back at Illinois. He was quoted as saying that he has contimplated going pro so his younger brother may get more carries because of the many backs that Illinois uses...sounds like he is thinking if he returns his brother will become one of those with so little in stats he may not get his opportunity to go to the next level and Rashard wants to help his brother! I thought that was a good human story and side to this kid as well!

silkamilkamonic
12-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Hopefully he goes back to school so Denver doesn't consider drafting him.

:P

lancane
12-22-2007, 04:45 PM
;)
Hopefully he goes back to school so Denver doesn't consider drafting him.

:P

I suppose Silk that you would rather Denver kept using mediocre halfbacks in a system that helps them excel, rather then a back who in our system could help not only the run game rise to another level, but also help the team better itself at it's basic core, let alone take some weight off Cutler?

I mean I appreciate the run scheme, but eventually mediocrity has it's limits...Plummer, Browncos and so on? This whole ordeal of using second class backs in our system eventually gets old...Henry will likely rush for a 1,000 yards again somewhere or maybe here; but not often. He has only completed one entire season out of seven and that is a stated fact! Selvin Young is capable, but even Shanahan has to be unsure if he can carry the load! Aren't you tired of the joke...Denver can turn anybody into a 1,000 yard rusher...I would rather have a back that makes the team better then just average. Hell, of all the backs Denver has had in the past 13 seasons, only two have gone on to produce elsewhere! Portis of course and then Droughns who is again nothing more then a serviceable back...it does not improve the team, it just keeps us competetive and I for one would rather see the run game improve!

Max Power
12-22-2007, 07:37 PM
I guess I could live with the Mendenhall pick, if he shows something against USC and works out well. But still, not over the likes of Phillips, Rivers, Connor, or Ellis. Hell, I'd probably take DeSean Jackson over Mendenhall, just because of the improvement he would give our special teams, which has been a somewhat overlooked weak spot compared to the defense and offense. And given that we'll likely be picking top 12, at least two or three of my preferences will be available.

Remember, Travis Henry, when healthy and not busted for the ganja, is a very good back. Say what you will about him as a person, but he was the league's leading rusher through the first 5 games, was he not? Also, Selvin Young and Andre Hall have both stepped up with big games when they needed to, particularly Young. I like Henry as the workhorse, with Young and Hall to spell him.

DancingHorsey
12-22-2007, 07:44 PM
I guess I could live with the Mendenhall pick, if he shows something against USC and works out well. But still, not over the likes of Phillips, Rivers, Connor, or Ellis. Hell, I'd probably take DeSean Jackson over Mendenhall, just because of the improvement he would give our special teams, which has been a somewhat overlooked weak spot compared to the defense and offense. And given that we'll likely be picking top 12, at least two or three of my preferences will be available.

Only one position has more of an impact than running back. While I'm not adverse to drafting the players you listed, I hardly see any of them having the kind of impact a true franchise back would have.

Max Power
12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Only one position has more of an impact than running back. While I'm not adverse to drafting the players you listed, I hardly see any of them having the kind of impact a true franchise back would have.

Mendenhall would be a slight upgrade over Henry at best. Any one of the defensive prospects I listed would be a major upgrade over anybody currently playing S, OLB, and DT.

Impact goes beyond stats too.

lancane
12-22-2007, 08:04 PM

Remember, Travis Henry, when healthy and not busted for the ganja, is a very good back. Say what you will about him as a person, but he was the league's leading rusher through the first 5 games, was he not? Also, Selvin Young and Andre Hall have both stepped up with big games when they needed to, particularly Young. I like Henry as the workhorse, with Young and Hall to spell him.

Denver is an offense first team and it will always be, it was under Reeves, it was under Phillips and even more so under Shanahan. Through the years Denver has always had the bend but do not break defense, even with elite and hall of famers such as Atwater and company. That is why Elway was one of the best fourth quarter and comeback quarterbacks! I remember the games where the score was 23 - 21 and Elway marched us down to steal the win. When Shanahan came it changed, somewhat...because the defense improved here and there, but was much the same in many cases!

And Shanahan is not going to keep ignoring his offense, not with his franchise player set in Cutler...do you really think that Shanahan is going to say the offense is missing this and it could get Cutler hurt and wreck production...but defense is missing this and this, I will ignore the offense and the needs of my franchise player for the defense? No coach in his right mind would look to improve and leave his franchise player without aid...sorry but that will never happen! Never...

And rumors are that Shanahan wants more weapons for Cutler, they already proved they are looking to adjust their line by trying to sign Adrian Jones just the other day...believe what you want Max, no one can tell you what to think...but I can honestly say I would bet a very important part of my anatomy that Shanahan will be working just as hard if not harder to fix the offense!

;)

lancane
12-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Mendenhall would be a slight upgrade over Henry at best. Any one of the defensive prospects I listed would be a major upgrade over anybody currently playing S, OLB, and DT.

Slight? Henry has had in the past seven seasons missed game(s) due to ten plus injuries, he had two this year alone, not including the slight one during preseason. That is not just bad, but truly sorry! Teams do not and should not pay for a guy with that much bench time who is suppose to be a starter...

:D

Max Power
12-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Denver is an offense first team and it will always be, it was under Reeves, it was under Phillips and even more so under Shanahan. Through the years Denver has always had the bend but do not break defense, even with elite and hall of famers such as Atwater and company. That is why Elway was one of the best fourth quarter and comeback quarterbacks! I remember the games where the score was 23 - 21 and Elway marched us down to steal the win. When Shanahan came it changed, somewhat...because the defense improved here and there, but was much the same in many cases!

And Shanahan is not going to keep ignoring his offense, not with his franchise player set in Cutler...do you really think that Shanahan is going to say the offense is missing this and it could get Cutler hurt and wreck production...but defense is missing this and this, I will ignore the offense and the needs of my franchise player for the defense? No coach in his right mind would look to improve and leave his franchise player without aid...sorry but that will never happen! Never...

And rumors are that Shanahan wants more weapons for Cutler, they already proved they are looking to adjust their line by trying to sign Adrian Jones just the other day...believe what you want Max, no one can tell you what to think...but I can honestly say I would bet a very important part of my anatomy that Shanahan will be working just as hard if not harder to fix the offense!

;)

I wouldn't say Shanny's been "ignoring the offense." What about bringing in Henry and Graham in the offseason, and getting Cutler, J-Walk, and B-Marsh in the '06 draft? You act like the offense is abysmal, and that just isn't true. Just look at their ranking and statistics:

The Broncos are ranked 17 in points per game (21.1), 6th in total yards per game (353.9), 8th in rushing yards per game (124.1), and 12th in passing yards per game (229.8).

Besides, it is possible to address BOTH the offense AND defense, you know. It's not one or the other. I'm already inclined to believe Cutler has most of the necessary pieces around him. But obviously we have two different philosophies on how Denver should approach the offseason. To each his own.

Max Power
12-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Slight? Henry has had in the past seven seasons missed game(s) due to ten plus injuries, he had two this year alone, not including the slight one during preseason. That is not just bad, but truly sorry! Teams do not and should not pay for a guy with that much bench time who is suppose to be a starter...

I'm talking about on the field. Both backs being healthy, Mendenhall would be a slight upgrade over Henry at best. Henry is a very good back when healthy.

DancingHorsey
12-22-2007, 08:16 PM

A slight improvement? Then all of the players you listed would likewise only be a "slight" improvement. :goofy:

Max Power
12-22-2007, 08:17 PM
A slight improvement? Then all of the players you listed would likewise only be a "slight" improvement. :goofy:

do explain.

DancingHorsey
12-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm talking about on the field. Both backs being healthy, Mendenhall would be a slight upgrade over Henry at best. Henry is a very good back when healthy.

But he's never healthy. And even if he could stay healthy he's not even close to being as good as Mendenhall. Plus he's going to reach 30 soon, and running backs are usually done by then.

DancingHorsey
12-22-2007, 08:19 PM
do explain.

I'm not sure what needs to be explained. Mendenhall is an elite talent. Henry is merely good (when healthy).

Max Power
12-22-2007, 08:19 PM
But he's never healthy. And even if he could stay healthy he's not even close to being as good as Mendenhall. Plus he's going to reach 30 soon, and running backs are usually done by then.

My God, who do you think Mendenhall is? The guy has had one great season in college, mostly against Big 10 cupcakes with poor rushing defenses. You act like he's Adrian Peterson. What a joke.

Max Power
12-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure what needs to be explained. Mendenhall is an elite talent. Henry is merely good (when healthy).

I strongly disagree with this statement. 1st-round talent? Yes. Elite talent? No. That would be guys like Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, and soon to be top 5 pick Darren McFadden. Mendenhall is not even at the level of Marshawn Lynch as a prospect IMO.

DancingHorsey
12-22-2007, 08:23 PM
My God, who do you think Mendenhall is? The guy has had one great season in college, mostly against Big 10 cupcakes with poor rushing defenses. You act like he's Adrian Peterson. What a joke.

Adrian Peterson had one good season as well. What's your point?

Many people aside from me believe Mendenhall is a premiere north-south style prospect. You may think my opinion is a joke, but that doesn't mean it is.

DancingHorsey
12-22-2007, 08:25 PM
I strongly disagree with this statement. 1st-round talent? Yes. Elite talent? No. That would be guys like Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, and soon to be top 5 pick Darren McFadden. Mendenhall is not even at the level of Marshawn Lynch as a prospect IMO.

Not on the level of Marshawn Lynch? Okay, I think we're done. There's no point in continuing this pointless conversation.

Max Power
12-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Adrian Peterson had one good season as well. What's your point?

Many people aside from me believe Mendenhall is a premiere north-south style prospect. You may think my opinion is a joke, but that doesn't mean it is.

Please. If Adrian Peterson never gotten injured, he would have challenged the rushing record, and would have gone top 3 in the draft, guaranteed. Mendenhall is good, I won't and haven't denied that, but he's not on Peterson's level.

Max Power
12-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Not on the level of Marshawn Lynch? Okay, I think we're done. There's no point in continuing this pointless conversation.

Considering Lynch ran out of a pro-style offense at Cal with similar production, I'd say my point holds water.

Kon
12-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Wasn't impressed by the kid.

bronco1263
12-23-2007, 01:04 AM
He looks like he has a nice burst and definitely the style of a Bronco back, but, he has one strong year thus far. Let him play SC now that they have their groove on. Maybe he mashes them but it hasn't happened yet. I'd prefer if he spends another year in college and maybe we try to get him next year if he's still impressive. He does seem to present himself well in an interview which hopefully speaks to intelligence, an under-rated factor for the NFL success, I think.

If he came out this year and slipped, then maybe, but not if there are players on the board that fit defensive needs. I believe that is more critical, at present.

DancingHorsey
12-23-2007, 01:30 AM
He looks like he has a nice burst and definitely the style of a Bronco back, but, he has one strong year thus far. Let him play SC now that they have their groove on. Maybe he mashes them but it hasn't happened yet. I'd prefer if he spends another year in college and maybe we try to get him next year if he's still impressive. He does seem to present himself well in an interview which hopefully speaks to intelligence, an under-rated factor for the NFL success, I think.

If he came out this year and slipped, then maybe, but not if there are players on the board that fit defensive needs. I believe that is more critical, at present.

And if he has a good game against USC? Will that convince you?

Personally, I'll definitely be watching that game. Of course I'm already convinced, so I doubt my stance will change either way, no matter what kind of game he has.

bronco1263
12-23-2007, 02:48 AM
And if he has a good game against USC? Will that convince you?

Personally, I'll definitely be watching that game. Of course I'm already convinced, so I doubt my stance will change either way, no matter what kind of game he has.

I don't have to be convinced, really. He looks decent. A strong game against SC would definitely be impressive though. I just don't think it's the direction to go in unless the deal was too sweet to pass. I'd still prefer he punch up another great college year and then perhaps Denver's other holes will be less desperate.

silkamilkamonic
12-23-2007, 03:28 AM
;)

I suppose Silk that you would rather Denver kept using mediocre halfbacks in a system that helps them excel, rather then a back who in our system could help not only the run game rise to another level, but also help the team better itself at it's basic core, let alone take some weight off Cutler?

Rashard Mendenhall plays in a spread offense, an offense in college that helps mediocre RB's excel(as long as the personnel is around them), which probably explains why his numbers are good. His numbers are also very good against bad defenses, and average at best against good defenses.

I don't much about this kid, so I'll keep an eye out against USC. I'm not sure it will be a good judgment, because he wasn't very good against the defenses that finished in the top 30 for total defense.

Not seeing why people are hyping him to be a franchise savior type elite back though. Darren McFadden on the other hand. Now that's elite.

lancane
12-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Rashard Mendenhall plays in a spread offense, an offense in college that helps mediocre RB's excel(as long as the personnel is around them), which probably explains why his numbers are good. His numbers are also very good against bad defenses, and average at best against good defenses.

I don't much about this kid, so I'll keep an eye out against USC. I'm not sure it will be a good judgment, because he wasn't very good against the defenses that finished in the top 30 for total defense.

Not seeing why people are hyping him to be a franchise savior type elite back though. Darren McFadden on the other hand. Now that's elite.

Rahsard Mendenhall is not McFadden who is more of an outside runner then between the gaps, he is not Peterson in terms of being an athletic freak, he is not Lynch who is a multi-cut back...what he is...is a natural back with a never ending motor, great strength in upper and lower body who cuts once maybe twice, but is more a straight ahead runner, he has overall great vision and comes up to aid his teammates when he realizes they are in trouble...he is a leader who gets his teammates to listen when he speaks, he does not fumble often he is a great receiving option and in the end, he is the Big Ten player of the year for a reason: Because he put up good numbers with two other backs sharing time, playing behind a crap offensive line with one of the better rushing quarterbacks in college football!

I remember a lot of people said much the same or griped just as much over Jay Cutler, production in a program questionable to put out a pro prospect, this...and that. But I can not make you like this kid Silk, maybe he will have a good game against USC...maybe not! But fact is I still like the kid, not just because of his skill but his attitude as well, he reminds me of how Broncos are suppose to act and play...unlike Henry who is the posterchild for welfare, elite and co-president of the 'we are high' running back club with Ricky Williams and officially he is known to be healthy and not be injured near as much as either Henry or even Lynch for that matter...

silkamilkamonic
12-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Rahsard Mendenhall is not McFadden who is more of an outside runner then between the gaps, he is not Peterson in terms of being an athletic freak, he is not Lynch who is a multi-cut back...what he is...is a natural back with a never ending motor, great strength in upper and lower body who cuts once maybe twice, but is more a straight ahead runner, he has overall great vision and comes up to aid his teammates when he realizes they are in trouble...he is a leader who gets his teammates to listen when he speaks, he does not fumble often he is a great receiving option and in the end, he is the Big Ten player of the year for a reason: Because he put up good numbers with two other backs sharing time, playing behind a crap offensive line with one of the better rushing quarterbacks in college football!

I remember a lot of people said much the same or griped just as much over Jay Cutler, production in a program questionable to put out a pro prospect, this...and that. But I can not make you like this kid Silk, maybe he will have a good game against USC...maybe not! But fact is I still like the kid, not just because of his skill but his attitude as well, he reminds me of how Broncos are suppose to act and play...unlike Henry who is the posterchild for welfare, elite and co-president of the 'we are high' running back club with Ricky Williams and officially he is known to be healthy and not be injured near as much as either Henry or even Lynch for that matter...

I don't have any ill will for or against him. He seems like a great kid. He's only had 1 good season jn college, and I'm not sure how he's been warranted as such a high pick.

Players don't get drafted in the first round because they only have high character. He certainly isn't a physical talent as far as the game is concerned.

You're also wrong about McFadden being more of an outside runner. He is indeed one of the most complete RB's you can find. Great speed and acceleration. Great vision. Great cutting ability. Hard to tackle. Great hands. There isn't 1 thing that kid doesn't do well. Not one thing.

bronco1263
12-23-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't have any ill will for or against him. He seems like a great kid. He's only had 1 good season jn college, and I'm not sure how he's been warranted as such a high pick.

Players don't get drafted in the first round because they only have high character. He certainly isn't a physical talent as far as the game is concerned.

You're also wrong about McFadden being more of an outside runner. He is indeed one of the most complete RB's you can find. Great speed and acceleration. Great vision. Great cutting ability. Hard to tackle. Great hands. There isn't 1 thing that kid doesn't do well. Not one thing.

I'll let you guys, who have paid more attention, debate this out but can someone please get McFadden to stop with the double bicep pose?! <that's a joke, son>

Dream
12-23-2007, 03:05 PM

How is he not a physical talent? 5'10 - 5'11 in that 210-225 pound range (listed, I'd say 215 is a safe bet) and runs a sub 4.5 forty.

Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year: Mendenhall shattered the Illinois school single-season records for rushing yards and touchdowns to become the first Fighting Illini standout to be named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year. The junior running back led the Big Ten with 1,526 rushing yards in all games this season to surpass the school's single-season record of 1,330 yards set by Antoineo Harris in 2002. Mendenhall added 16 rushing scores to break the previous program-high of 15 touchdowns established by Howard Griffith in 1990. Illinois ranked sixth in the country with 266.2 rushing yards per contest. In conference games only, the Illini led the Big Ten in rushing for the first time since 1953 with 262.0 yards per outing. Mendenhall is a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award, given to the nation's top player, and the Doak Walker Award, earned by the country's top running back. - Big Ten Sports

Just a little food for though. He's not McFadden, but he's not bad either. He can be this year's Marshawn Lynch. That's fine with me.

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-23-2007, 05:52 PM
He looks like a smaller and younger Travis Henry to me.

Meh.

DancingHorsey
12-23-2007, 05:56 PM
He looks like a smaller and younger Travis Henry to me.

Meh.

They have completely different styles, are in different leagues speed-wise, and have totally different builds. Other than that, sure. :coffee:

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-23-2007, 08:07 PM
They have completely different styles, are in different leagues speed-wise, and have totally different builds. Other than that, sure. :coffee:

You know what I say to that sir?

Meh. :coffee:

Max Power
12-23-2007, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=Dream;2050621]How is he not a physical talent? 5'10 - 5'11 in that 210-225 pound range (listed, I'd say 215 is a safe bet) and runs a sub 4.5 forty.

Those measureables hardly scream "specimen" to me.:coffee:

lancane
12-23-2007, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=Dream;2050621]How is he not a physical talent? 5'10 - 5'11 in that 210-225 pound range (listed, I'd say 215 is a safe bet) and runs a sub 4.5 forty.

Those measureables hardly scream "specimen" to me.:coffee:

His last forty was a 4.4, and that is not his fastest recorded! You do not like the guy, you seem like an intelligent fan Max...but I notice your bias for the western schools, especially USC. There is nothing wrong with being a fan, but your a bit overly objective by being overly bias. Just a personal observation, I see it quite often on the boards, but one thing it does hinder is in evaluating talent from various schools elsewhere...I wonder, maybe you'll respect him as a halfback and athlete after he runs over USC.

;)

Max Power
12-23-2007, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=Max Power;2050817]

His last forty was a 4.4, and that is not his fastest recorded! You do not like the guy, you seem like an intelligent fan Max...but I notice your bias for the western schools, especially USC. There is nothing wrong with being a fan, but your a bit overlly objective by being overlly bias. Just a personal observation, I see it quite often on the boards, but one thing it does hinder is in evaluating talent from various schools elsewhere...I wonder, maybe you'll respect him as a halfback and athlete after he runs over USC.

;)

He won't run over USC. He'll put up decent stats, but he won't have a 150+ yard field day or anything like that. Sedrick Ellis, Rey Maualuga, and the rest of the gang will see to that.

IF I'm wrong, I'll eat my crow and stop hating on the kid. Until then, :coffee:

kratos_godofwar
12-26-2007, 12:11 PM
We'll see, just 6 days away. I hope Illinois wins because I hate the Trojans.

lancane
12-26-2007, 12:20 PM
We'll see, just 6 days away. I hope Illinois wins because I hate the Trojans.

Me and you both! Good program, but I am sick of USC this and USC that, when I think the eastern conferences are ten times tougher!

;)

Beast#7
01-01-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm PUMPED for the game tomorrow :salute:

kratos_godofwar
01-01-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm PUMPED for the game tomorrow :salute:

you and me both.

Nick
01-01-2008, 12:45 PM
It is almost time :rockon:

Rose Bowl baby... I can't wait to see Mendenhall go against one of the best deffenses.

Beast#7
01-01-2008, 01:36 PM
It is almost time :rockon:

Rose Bowl baby... I can't wait to see Mendenhall go against one of the best deffenses.

Almost time, eh? It feels like an eternity waiting for it to come on.

Beast#7
01-01-2008, 03:13 PM
good first run by mendenhall

Nick
01-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Almost time, eh? It feels like an eternity waiting for it to come on.

IT's on!

First run very very nice this guy has great vision, legs, speed, awarness, but most importantly the most ideal back for our system. If he has a break out game... look for him to be a Bronco next year with our #1... over needs on OL DT and S

Beast#7
01-01-2008, 03:15 PM
IT's on!

First run very very nice this guy has great vision, legs, speed, awarness, but most importantly the most ideal back for our system. If he has a break out game... look for him to be a Bronco next year with our #1... over needs on OL DT and S

that would be sweet..........

here's to hopefully a good game by him :cheers:

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 03:48 PM
His team is kind of sucking right now, but I like what I'm seeing from him so far.

lancane
01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
His team is kind of sucking right now, but I like what I'm seeing from him so far.

His quarterback is showboating...making some horrible play calling! USC is on fire, and Mendenhall is being limited by the scheme right now!

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
His quarterback is showboating...making some horrible play calling! USC is on fire, and Mendenhall is being limited by the scheme right now!

That and his blocking has been atrocious.

Nick
01-01-2008, 03:56 PM

You think if they stop being dumb they would give him 30 plus carries and go to a I-form against a porfesional style offense/deffense. I am a USC fan but this is pretty bad. GET YOUR PLAY MAKER THE BALL!

He has flourished every time he has had it.. :rolleyes:

They keep running a shotgun like they would be scared of their QB...

RM - Is playmaker throw to him 10 plus and give him 30 plus carries to win this game... or you do not have a chance

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
You think if they stop being dumb they would give him 30 plus carries and go to a I-form against a por style offense. I am a USC fan but this is pretty bad. GET YOUR PLAY MAKER THE BALL!

He has flourished every time he has had it.. :rolleyes:

What I can't figure out is why they keep trying to run to the outside against a defense that's all about pursuit and speed. :confused:

Nick
01-01-2008, 04:07 PM
What I can't figure out is why they keep trying to run to the outside against a defense that's all about pursuit and speed. :confused:

Specialy with some pretty quick LB corps. I think they are keeping the shotgun because the USC D has all eyes on Mendenhall.

Some prospects from USC have been looking great but hard to judge them in this game against Ill.

Nick
01-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Now you have your #1 player out of the game. Smart. We (USC) going to kill your QB.. :coffee:

Added: (Above)

See...

Two hits on QB w/ him not in game. He changes this team big time.

lancane
01-01-2008, 04:20 PM
This is why Illinois is not ready for this level of bowl game...by not using your playmaker and running the same plays over and over again! Sheeeeeesh, you would think the Illinois coaches would have studied film, create a damn gap for your stud!

Pathetic!

:rolleyes:

Nick
01-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Harrison at saftey has really impressed me on Ill.

Washington could be a steal in late rounds of draft.. he would of had a lot more playing time if we (USC) did not get the two top RB prospects this year

lancane
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Is it me or is the Illinois quarterback scared to throw for more then five yards at a time?

:confused:

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
This is why Illinois is not ready for this level of bowl game...by not using your playmaker and running the same plays over and over again! Sheeeeeesh, you would think the Illinois coaches would have studied film, create a damn gap for your stud!

Pathetic!

Agreed. They are not making any adjustments.

Nick
01-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Well he created the best running lane just then if QB stuck with it...

lancane
01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Agreed. They are not making any adjustments.

They are not doing anything, they are completely limiting Mendenhall...the quarterback is not calling audibles or making adjustments for routes, he is showboating his scram ability and really hurting Illinois! Mendenhall may be the only worthy damn player on the offense!

Ravage!!!
01-01-2008, 04:28 PM
They are not doing anything, they are completely limiting Mendenhall...the quarterback is not calling audibles or making adjustments for routes, he is showboating his scram ability and really hurting Illinois! Mendenhall may be the only worthy damn player on the offense!

They haven't tried ONE pass past the Line of Scrimmage. What is THAT????

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 04:28 PM

Pathetic is the word I believe.

lancane
01-01-2008, 04:29 PM

Simply poor coaching, funny how they use the shotgun and barely try anything other then short passes and running to the outside. I think someone needs to go to the Shanahan school of offense!

:coffee:

Ravage!!!
01-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Pathetic is the word I believe.

I think that will be the new addition to the definition. Thats just sad.....

lancane
01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
It reminds me of the first time North Texas finally got into a bowl game in like fifteen years...the coaches couldn't find their rear ends until the 4th quarter and by then they had already lost by like 30 points!

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 04:35 PM
A 6'5" 244 lb WR!? :eek:

lancane
01-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I think their trying to kill Mendenhall before the draft...you do not have him block USC's most dangerous linebacker...you do that with a fourth wideout! - So if you lose him it doesn't really matter.

Hahaha...

BroncoKazuki
01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
I think their trying to kill Mendenhall before the draft...you do not have him block USC's most dangerous linebacker...you do that with a fourth wideout! - So if you lose him it doesn't really matter.

Hahaha...

it may work to our advantage if he's ding up a little he can fall near us or close to us.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Is it just me, or is Mendenhall completely wasted in this garbage offense?

lancane
01-01-2008, 04:41 PM
it may work to our advantage if he's ding up a little he can fall near us or close to us.

With how their limiting him he may drop to the latter part of the first, excluding his pro day and combine workout! I would love for him to drop and we trade to Dallas for their two first round picks and nab him...maybe him and offensive tackle Chris Williams from Vandy! That would be a sweet first round, then DeMario Pressley from North Carolina St. or Dre Moore from Maryland in the 2nd Round! Hahaha...I would be real happy!

lancane
01-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Is it just me, or is Mendenhall completely wasted in this garbage offense?

I agree...I would want to go pro as well if I was him, get the hell out of that program and in a hurry! What a poor excuse for coaching, if you ask me I do not even see how they got into the Rose Bowl!

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I agree...I would want to go pro as well if I was him, get the hell out of that program and in a hurry! What a poor excuse for coaching, if you ask me I do not even see how they got into the Rose Bowl!

Because the Big Ten sucks. :coffee:

jcdavey
01-01-2008, 05:05 PM
mendenhall having a worse day than mcfadden so far...pretty funny

lancane
01-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Finally....That's my boy 79 yard TD!!! :salute:

Nick
01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
mendenhall having a worse day than mcfadden so far...pretty funny

Pretty funny they read my typing ;)

They need to give the playmaker the ball.

Nice Play! :rockon:

BroncoKazuki
01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Finally....That's my boy 79 yard TD!!! :salute:

NOO we want him to do bad so he falls to where we can pick him up that was stupid of Ill.

hey Ill We want him so please for the love of god DONT Give him the ball.:D

Nick
01-01-2008, 05:20 PM
NOO we want him to do bad so he falls to where we can pick him up that was stupid of Ill.

He is a top 15 pick regardless of the oppurtunites they give him today... He is always going to look impressive even against USC D. Also look for him to run a 4.4 at the combine.

lancane
01-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Hahaha...have Shanahan call and tell Mendenhall we want him so he can act hurt and slip to us in the second!

:laugh:

jcdavey
01-01-2008, 05:21 PM
he's now a whole yard better than mcfadden for the game

usc's D needs to stuff him the rest of the way

lancane
01-01-2008, 05:21 PM
He is a top 15 pick regardless of the oppurtunites they give him today... He is always going to look impressive even against USC D. Also look for him to run a 4.4 at the combine.

Agreed his stock might end up being where we pick if he has a stellar pro day and combine! Then I will be against trading down...lol.

lancane
01-01-2008, 05:24 PM
he's now a whole yard better than mcfadden for the game

usc's D needs to stuff him the rest of the way

Either you do not like him, or do and hope he falls and Denver doesn't make a move??? Which is it JC?

:smug:

Ravage!!!
01-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Damn is he fast..... I want this kid....

lancane
01-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Damn is he fast..... I want this kid....

Now you see why he is my favorite HB this year! ;)

Cutler - Mendenhall - Marshall - Scheffler - Stokely!!!

Ravage!!!
01-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Now you see why he is my favorite HB this year! ;)

Cutler - Mendenhall - Marshall - Scheffler - Stokely!!!

Indeed. Illinois just keeps shooting themselves in the foot

darrent/hero
01-01-2008, 05:33 PM
damn he looks good

lancane
01-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Indeed. Illinois just keeps shooting themselves in the foot

Yeah - crappy QB and real bad coaching!, could you imagine what Mendenhall could have done at a powerhouse like Florida, Miami, Texas or Oklahoma!!!

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I've been leaning toward OT in the 1st lately.

But now I'm back on the Mendenhall bandwagon. Seriously, he's the perfect back for our system.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Holy crap does his team suck!

darrent/hero
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
I've been leaning toward OT in the 1st lately.

But now I'm back on the Mendenhall bandwagon. Seriously, he's the perfect back for our system.

anyone is the perfect bakc for our system.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 05:46 PM
anyone is the perfect bakc for our system.

...:rolleyes:

BroncoKazuki
01-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Hahaha...have Shanahan call and tell Mendenhall we want him so he can act hurt and slip to us in the second!

:laugh:

If i was at the game i would totally put that on a sign to get him into our court.

jcdavey
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Either you do not like him, or do and hope he falls and Denver doesn't make a move??? Which is it JC?

:smug:actually watching him today, he looks just like mcfadden

ie the rest of his team is crap compared to him

i'd love for denver to take a rb in round 1 though.

lancane
01-01-2008, 06:00 PM
actually watching him today, he looks just like mcfadden

ie the rest of his team is crap compared to him

i'd love for denver to take a rb in round 1 though.

I think Mendenhall is the only real stud Illinois has on the offensive side of the ball. Everyone earlier asked why I was so big on this kid...now they know. And I agree, Shanahan needs to realize that our rotational door policy on backs does not work, you would think the whoopin(s) that San Diego put on us would teach him that!

;)

jcdavey
01-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I think Mendenhall is the only real stud Illinois has on the offensive side of the ball. Everyone earlier asked why I was so big on this kid...now they know. And I agree, Shanahan needs to realize that our rotational door policy on backs does not work, you would think the whoopin(s) that San Diego put on us would teach him that!

;)ya know, thinking back to how we got our left tackle in the 2nd round

i'm sure denver could just get theirs in round 2 as well and grab mendenhall in the 1st...may as well

BaileyTheBest
01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Those wanting Mendenhall in the first round, we aren't going to get any better until we improve in the trenches and drafting him won't do anything to fix that. We HAVE to get a LT or a DT.

lancane
01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
ya know, thinking back to how we got our left tackle in the 2nd round

i'm sure denver could just get theirs in round 2 as well and grab mendenhall in the 1st...may as well

That is what I am thinking...Mendenhall in the first and the likes of Tony Hills in the second!

;)

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 06:08 PM
If we pass on Mendenhall, I'm going to start thinking Shanahan has brain damage.

lancane
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Those wanting Mendenhall in the first round, we aren't going to get any better until we improve in the trenches and drafting him won't do anything to fix that. We HAVE to get a LT or a DT.

Not if we sign a veteran defensive tackle like Corey Williams!

Orange Crush 08
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
The more i hear about Mendenhall the more excited i get about seeing him in orange and blue in denver next season. I think he is a running back with big play capability, has good push on most of his drives..and with the tutelage of Shanahan in the zone scheme and with a better oline than he had in Illinois he could be a great back. The kind of one cut a go guy we need. Im watching the bowl game and he has 15 for 135 and a TD so far...im pretty impressed.

lancane
01-01-2008, 06:10 PM
If we pass on Mendenhall, I'm going to start thinking Shanahan has brain damage.

Either that or his scouting department rode the short bus to school!

jcdavey
01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
this mendenhall guy has none of the baggage (health history) marshawn lynch had either , right?

Ravage!!!
01-01-2008, 06:15 PM

No. RB just isn't our primary need.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 06:19 PM

You know what would improve? Our ability to sustain drives, and score in the red-zone. Both help the defense immensely.

Beyond that, neither Lancane or myself are advocating we ignore our other needs. We just recognize a perfect fit when we see one. We won't likely have a shot at a player like this again for a while. If we can address our need for DTs in free agency rather than the draft that would be ideal, seeing as the DTs in this draft class aren't that great. We could then go for offensive linemen with our second rounder and the possible third rounders we might get in trades.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
No. RB just isn't our primary need.

That may well be, but if Mendenhall is available at the 12th pick, he will be the best player available. That I can say with a fair amount of confidence.

Ravage!!!
01-01-2008, 06:27 PM
That may well be, but if Mendenhall is available at the 12th pick, he will be the best player available. That I can say with a fair amount of confidence.

True... but then that goes down to philosophy of drafting. Is drafting the best available player the best thing to do, no matter what position he plays? Some say yes, but others say no.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
True... but then that goes down to philosophy of drafting. Is drafting the best available player the best thing to do, no matter what position he plays? Some say yes, but others say no.

When it's also a position of need (which RB is)? Yes.

Obviously, we wouldn't want to draft another QB even if he was the best player available.

lancane
01-01-2008, 06:37 PM

We did with Cutler, like Shanny said we wanted him and he was the best available player, and a need but not priority. This is really no different, even if we kept Henry, Mendenhall could help the offense and learn the system while helping on special teams if need be, but eventually he would be able to become what we need in a fulltime HB. He does not have a big injury riddled past, he is quick, aggressive and his motor never stops...

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
We did with Cutler, like Shanny said we wanted him and he was the best available player, and a need but not priority. This is really no different, even if we kept Henry, Mendenhall could help the offense and learn the system while helping on special teams if need be, but eventually he would be able to become what we need in a fulltime HB. He does not have a big injury riddled past, he is quick, aggressive and his motor never stops...

From what I've seen of him, he seems like a high character guy as well.

I really think he's a "can't miss" pick.

lancane
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
From what I've seen of him, he seems like a high character guy as well.

I really think he's a "can't miss" pick.

That is what I think...Davis, Bell, Portis...all started out helping in rotation and on special teams! This kid would be monstrous on returns. Give him a year under the system and then put him in place to start...whoa!

Ravage!!!
01-01-2008, 06:46 PM

It is different. I mean I agree we need a top RB, but considering our team, I dont' think its the TOP need.

Cutler was different in the sense that we had the chance to get a franchise QB. There were Three in the draft, and we were close enough to move up if we needed. That doesn't happen very often. Was it our biggest need, no. But when you are talking about the ABSOLUTE most important position on a football team, and the absolute most important position in professional sports..... thats different.

Again, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a top dog RB, but I wouldn't hold it against our coaching staff if we grabbed an OT or DT considering these are positions of GREAT need.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 06:50 PM
That is what I think...Davis, Bell, Portis...all started out helping in rotation and on special teams! This kid would be monstrous on returns. Give him a year under the system and then put him in place to start...whoa!

If we draft him, there's absolutely no way, barring injury, he doesn't end up our starting back by opening day. No way.

Beast#7
01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Mendenhall 17 carries for 155 yards. Nice TD run by him.

Bad game for Illinois, flat out embarrassing for 'em!

I hope we snag this guy. :salute:

lancane
01-01-2008, 06:57 PM
If we draft him, there's absolutely no way, barring injury, he doesn't end up our starting back by opening day. No way.

I would agree, but we all know Shanahan will look at 'If he can not start, can he be an impact player on special teams' and with this kid the answer is yes! So that is two big reasons to draft him!

lancane
01-01-2008, 07:00 PM
It is different. I mean I agree we need a top RB, but considering our team, I dont' think its the TOP need.

Cutler was different in the sense that we had the chance to get a franchise QB. There were Three in the draft, and we were close enough to move up if we needed. That doesn't happen very often. Was it our biggest need, no. But when you are talking about the ABSOLUTE most important position on a football team, and the absolute most important position in professional sports..... thats different.

Again, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a top dog RB, but I wouldn't hold it against our coaching staff if we grabbed an OT or DT considering these are positions of GREAT need.

Henry, Young and Hall? I would say it is a need. We can not count on the whole of the draft to fill our needs...obviously FA halfbacks do not help! Time to take a chance, and every weapon makes us better, not weaker.

;)

DrewB
01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Gotta say Mendenhall is the best fit for Denver's offense I have seen since TD was here...CP to lancane for his early endorsement :cheers:

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Henry, Young and Hall? I would say it is a need. We can not count on the whole of the draft to fill our needs...obviously FA halfbacks do not help! Time to take a chance, and every weapon makes us better, not weaker.

;)

With someone like Mendenhall in our backfield I'd say we'd be A LOT better. In fact, with just him added to our current team, I'd say we could've gone 10-6 this year. We wouldn't have been a contender with just him, but we likely would've made the playoffs. If we can address our other needs with later picks and through free agency, we might have an outside shot of returning to elite status, but we must have a star back again.

Beast#7
01-01-2008, 07:05 PM
With someone like Mendenhall in our backfield I'd say we'd be A LOT better.

hell yeah dude :rockon:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Mendenhall showed me a lot today. He seemed to be the only Illinois player who came to play today. He seems like a guy who can do it all - run hard, make people miss, decent speed, decent receiver. I wouldn't mind having him in a Bronco uni.

BroncoKazuki
01-01-2008, 07:14 PM
With someone like Mendenhall in our backfield I'd say we'd be A LOT better. In fact, with just him added to our current team, I'd say we could've gone 10-6 this year. We wouldn't have been a contender with just him, but we likely would've made the playoffs. If we can address our other needs with later picks and through free agency, we might have an outside shot of returning to elite status, but we must have a star back again.

Time to really take chances I say we go after him if and when he declares.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Mendenhall showed me a lot today. He seemed to be the only Illinois player who came to play today. He seems like a guy who can do it all - run hard, make people miss, decent speed, decent receiver. I wouldn't mind having him in a Bronco uni.

I just couldn't believe they only gave him the ball 17 times.

What a bunch of idiots. :goofy:

BroncosTX77
01-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Meh. He's a by product of a spread option offense. Yes the man has speed and can run, but RB position is more than running the ball. His catching skills are ok, and his blocking skills are downright atrocious. He would be better off coming back for one more year and learning how to block and show everyone he wasn't just a one year wonder.

But that is just my opinion.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Meh. He's a by product of a spread option offense. Yes the man has speed and can run, but RB position is more than running the ball. His catching skills are ok, and his blocking skills are downright atrocious. He would be better off coming back for one more year and learning how to block and show everyone he wasn't just a one year wonder.

Meh?

Did you just watch the game? His entire team sucked except him, and he was going against one of the best defenses in the country. His blocking isn't great grant you, though I wouldn't call it atrocious, but blocking is hardly a reason to not want a guy with his overall abilities.

Meh...:rolleyes:

BroncoKazuki
01-01-2008, 07:30 PM

He just replicated the total yards of first half with JUST ONE RUN.

This kid is a sleeper but yea I do agree his blocking does need help, but its not all a loss, his positives outweight his negatives. Blocking can be worked on in mini camp and training camp. Yet his impact may be felt earlier once he takes that first handoff.

BroncosTX77
01-01-2008, 07:31 PM
When your franchise player is your QB and RB must know how to recognize and pick up blitzers, than ya, I'd say that is a reason not to grab him.

For instance lets take a look at Andre Hall. He has mad speed and seems to be a rb who would get it done in this offense. Same goes for Selvin Young. Beasts with speed with the ball. Why does Selvin Young start and Andre come in for relief?

Selvin Young is a HELL of a lot better picking up blitzes than Andre Hall will ever be. Andre Hall got blowed up or flat out missed assignments when he started against blitzes.

So ya for this offense I would say Blitz pickup is more of a concern than you give it.

silkamilkamonic
01-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I was quite impressed with Mendenhall. He looks to be a complete back, and I was wrong expecting some kind of back like a Steve Slaton that just so happens to play in an offense that suits him.

I think he's definetely a first round talent, and would love to have him with Denver. It's just too bad we have so many other positions that take priority over RB in the draft, and I do think we need to go after one of those with the first pick.

Ravage!!!
01-01-2008, 07:34 PM
When your franchise player is your QB and RB must know how to recognize and pick up blitzers, than ya, I'd say that is a reason not to grab him.

For instance lets take a look at Andre Hall. He has mad speed and seems to be a rb who would get it done in this offense. Same goes for Selvin Young. Beasts with speed with the ball. Why does Selvin Young start and Andre come in for relief?

Selvin Young is a HELL of a lot better picking up blitzes than Andre Hall will ever be. Andre Hall got blowed up or flat out missed assignments when he started against blitzes.

So ya for this offense I would say Blitz pickup is more of a concern than you give it.

I can't disagree... however Larry Johnson was a bad blocker when coming out of college as well. Would you be willing to pass up on that kind of talent despite him not being a good blocker, or would you take the talent, and teach him to block?

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 07:37 PM

That isn't the point. Very few running backs are good at pass protection coming out of college. It's generally accepted that rookie running backs have to be taught how to pass protect. Beyond that, you can't judge a guy based off a couple instances of getting beaten by very good players. One would have to watch a lot of game film to accurately assess a running back's pass protection skills.

And Selvin Young is starting over Andre Hall because he's flat out a better player. I really don't understand why so many think Andre Hall is so great.

BroncosTX77
01-01-2008, 07:50 PM
I can't disagree... however Larry Johnson was a bad blocker when coming out of college as well. Would you be willing to pass up on that kind of talent despite him not being a good blocker, or would you take the talent, and teach him to block?

Look at the scheme though. Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes were always used as offensive weapons because Chiefs had Pro Bowl OLine. Not to mention they were run first pass second. Both backs were getting 400+ carries a year. Denver's OLIne actually requires a TE and RB to stay and block a whole lot to make up for the deficiencies on the Oline. By no means am I saying thet Mendenhall is a bad player. He looked great tonite and I believe Lancane has been hyping him up for some time now, but personally I have reasons to pass him up. Please not being sarcastic or anything, someone enlighten me to a few 'Good' NFL runningbacks, who ran the option in college or spread in college....

FYI I had same reservations in regards to Jonathan Stewart. He ran in spread offense with Heisman Trophy contender, similar QB to Juice at Illinois for Mendenhall. Difference is when Dixon went down, Stewart stepped his game up against tough competition and did very well with mediocre QB play (Ryan Leaf's lil bro. Enuff said :smug:).

lancane
01-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Look at the scheme though. Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes were always used as offensive weapons because Chiefs had Pro Bowl OLine. Not to mention they were run first pass second. Both backs were getting 400+ carries a year. Denver's OLIne actually requires a TE and RB to stay and block a whole lot to make up for the deficiencies on the Oline. By no means am I saying thet Mendenhall is a bad player. He looked great tonite and I believe Lancane has been hyping him up for some time now, but personally I have reasons to pass him up. Please not being sarcastic or anything, someone enlighten me to a few 'Good' NFL runningbacks, who ran the option in college or spread in college....

FYI I had same reservations in regards to Jonathan Stewart. He ran in spread offense with Heisman Trophy contender, similar QB to Juice at Illinois for Mendenhall. Difference is when Dixon went down, Stewart stepped his game up against tough competition and did very well with mediocre QB play (Ryan Leaf's lil bro. Enuff said :smug:).

Again why don't you go check the playoff teams what a first round halfback does for them...we are not in the playoffs...but Rivers - L.T.; Manning - Addai; Brady - Moroney are, and are always dominant together - ask them QB's what a stud does, they may not always win the rushing title, but they bring more dimensions as multi-purpose weapons to their quarterback, just like James did with Manning.

And Mendenhall's QB sucks, so why compare...Mendenhall was about near damn their only weapon!

;)

BroncosTX77
01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Again why don't you go check the playoff teams what a first round halfback does for them...we are not in the playoffs...but Rivers - L.T.; Manning - Addai; Brady - Moroney are, and are always dominant together - ask them QB's what a stud does, they may not always win the rushing title, but they bring more dimensions as multi-purpose weapons to their quarterback, just like James did with Manning.

And Mendenhall's QB sucks, so why compare...Mendenhall was about near damn their only weapon!

;)

First off I don't recall any mentioning of 1st round backs. I am strictly talking about Mendenhall. But since you brought it up....

I hope you are joking lol.

Manning and Brady win in spite of their anemic running attacks. Manning and Brady are the studs that make that their offenses click. Indianapolis uses Addai with Keith very effectively. Addai barely broke 1k yards.

As for the Patsies rushing attack, Maroney is oft injured only got 835 yards rushing this year. Morris and Faulk seemed to get as much attention nearer the end of the season due to Patsies trying to keep Maroney healthy.

Don't get me started on the Bolts. LT is one of the few remaining studs left. OF all the teams mentioned who never does anything in the playoffs when they get there? The chargers. Who does that remind you of? The Broncos. And the Chargers have a stud running back and Tight End to boot.

BroncoRT
01-01-2008, 09:00 PM

;)

Brady and Maroney???:confused:

Maroney has been a disappointment so far. Part of the reason why the Pats throw so much is the under achieving play of Maroney. He has shown some flashes, but he has been injured and inconsistant for his two year career.

He has 1280 yards and 12 TD's in his two year career, not exactly a "stud" RB. LT gets that by week #12.

Maroney is talented, but no way is he on the list of elite RB's...yet.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 09:06 PM
First off I don't recall any mentioning of 1st round backs. I am strictly talking about Mendenhall. But since you brought it up....

Manning and Brady win in spite of their anemic running attacks. Manning and Brady are the studs that make that their offenses click. Indianapolis uses Addai with Keith very effectively. Addai barely broke 1k yards.

As for the Patsies rushing attack, Maroney is oft injured only got 835 yards rushing this year. Morris and Faulk seemed to get as much attention nearer the end of the season due to Patsies trying to keep Maroney healthy.

Don't get me started on the Bolts. LT is one of the few remaining studs left. OF all the teams mentioned who never does anything in the playoffs when they get there? The chargers. Who does that remind you of? The Broncos. And the Chargers have a stud running back and Tight End to boot.

That really wasn't a convincing list I agree.

That said, I think we have to look at our offense in particular to assess the value of a stud running back. After all we won two Super Bowls with one. And Clinton Portis made our offense much more potent than it would've been otherwise while he was here. I firmly believe that with our system we must have a premiere back.

We aren't a pass-first team like New England or Indianapolis, and our blocking system really doesn't take advantage of varying styles of backs that well. Our system needs a particular kind of back, and how close a given player is to that type goes a long way to determining how successful he is. Mendenhall is the definition of that type. That's why we need go after him.

lancane
01-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Brady and Maroney???:confused:

Maroney has been a disappointment so far. Part of the reason why the Pats throw so much is the under achieving play of Maroney. He has shown some flashes, but he has been injured and inconsistant for his two year career.

He has 1280 yards and 12 TD's in his two year career, not exactly a "stud" RB. LT gets that by week #12.

Maroney is talented, but no way is he on the list of elite RB's...yet.

Maroney has been in a two back system and is used for more then just rushing...and I think that he is still growing as a player! Yes, he is not elite...not yet, there are always first round busts...all I am saying is that teams with elite running backs are playoff bound often more then naught and get farther. We did with Davis, GB did with Green, Idianapolis with Addai and look what they had in James, Dallas had Smith...What about the Steelers with Bettis...you want to disagree, but I have watched L.T. whoop our behinds pretty good over the years and especially with them as they have grown into a team...excuse me, but they are in the playoffs right? Taylor and Jacksonville? Want to play, then let's play, yes Gems can be found, try it...it will never be easy. Shanahan realized that with Cutler, too bad some fans haven't figured out that sometimes you have to take a chance in the first to get somewhere...by the way, where was our first round pick this season...Moss right? Glad he showed that we should only pick certain positions!

;)

lancane
01-01-2008, 09:24 PM

Running backs are not always just pound em' halfbacks...I guess that went over your head...we better tell some of the leagues best, while everyone smacks on them for a 900 yard season, lets overlook they had 600 yards of receiving!

I do not have to argue the point with, I mean look we are so good with Henry, Young and Hall, we scored on everybody...that is why we never got a touchdown against San Diego in two games.

;)

BroncoRT
01-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Maroney has been in a two back system and is used for more then just rushing...and I think that he is still growing as a player! Yes, he is not elite...not yet, there are always first round busts...all I am saying is that teams with elite running backs are playoff bound often more then naught and get farther. We did with Davis, GB did with Green, Idianapolis with Addai and look what they had in James, Dallas had Smith...What about the Steelers with Bettis...you want to disagree, but I have watched L.T. whoop our behinds pretty good over the years and especially with them as they have grown into a team...excuse me, but they are in the playoffs right? Taylor and Jacksonville? Want to play, then let's play, yes Gems can be found, try it...it will never be easy. Shanahan realized that with Cutler, too bad some fans haven't figured out that sometimes you have to take a chance in the first to get somewhere...by the way, where was our first round pick this season...Moss right? Glad he showed that we should only pick certain positions!

;)

You keep preaching that Denver needs a first round RB. In 2006 it was Maroney, 2007 it Lynch and 2008 it is now Mendenhall. Who will be on your RB campaign in 2009???
You claim that Denver need this franchise RB to be Champs and that two back systems don't work. The Patriots just went 16-0 with out a 1,000 yard rusher. So that theory is out the door.

The Denver Broncos will run the ball no matter who is at RB...period. Henry was leading the NFL in rushing before his injury and legal problems and Selvin Young shows promise. This off season Shanny will grab some little know Free Agent, a sixth round pick or a undrafted Free Agent and will get great production out of them next year, so why draft a RB in the first round?.

lancane
01-01-2008, 09:51 PM
You keep preaching that Denver needs a first round RB. In 2006 it was Maroney, 2007 it Lynch and 2008 it is now Mendenhall. Who will be on your RB campaign in 2009???
You claim that Denver need this franchise RB to be Champs and that two back systems don't work. The Patriots just went 16-0 with out a 1,000 yard rusher. So that theory is out the door.

The Denver Broncos will run the ball no matter who is at RB...period. Henry was leading the NFL in rushing before his injury and legal problems and Selvin Young shows promise. This off season Shanny will grab some little know Free Agent, a sixth round pick or a undrafted Free Agent and will get great production out of them next year, so why draft a RB in the first round?.

I said Maroney would be a decent pick, I never was on his bandwagon...and as far as Lynch, look what he has done! Enough said, what did our fat overpaid back do? Cause a controversy, get injured and then got benched in favor of an undrafted back...yeah we are in good shape!

We can not always count on that, or we will be just another one and done playoff team. Maybe you will listen once you see us go through another half-capable back and get nowhere because we think Cutler should do it all alone! He needs weapons, Shanahan will learn...he thought he had it in Henry...Woops! Now what? Give it up already, we need a halfback that is elite, it gives a two edged sword, you can gameplan all you want, but a good quarterback with an elite halfback whoops our behinds quite often lately (San Diego?)...they are in the playoffs and we are not, and do not blame the defense! I am sick of that BS...we can not score! Stick an elite halfback with a great quarterback, wait we did that...Elway and Davis, we did what? Oh yeah, won back to back Super Bowl Championships!

aberdien
01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
He dominated today. I wouldn't mind having him.

BroncoRT
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I said Maroney would be a decent pick, I never was on his bandwagon...and as far as Lynch, look what he has done! Enough said, what did our fat overpaid back do? Cause a controversy, get injured and then got benched in favor of an undrafted back...yeah we are in good shape!

We can not always count on that, or we will be just another one and done playoff team. Maybe you will listen once you see us go through another half-capable back and get nowhere because we think Cutler should do it all alone! He needs weapons, Shanahan will learn...he thought he had it in Henry...Woops! Now what? Give it up already, we need a halfback that is elite, it gives a two edged sword, you can gameplan all you want, but a good quarterback with an elite halfback whoops our behinds quite often lately (San Diego?)...they are in the playoffs and we are not, and do not blame the defense! I am sick of that BS...we can not score! Stick an elite halfback with a great quarterback, wait we did that...Elway and Davis, we did what? Oh yeah, won back to back Super Bowl Championships!

Terel Davis was a sixth round find...that is what Shanny does, he finds diamonds in the rough, whether you like it or not.

The NFL is turning more into a passing league as we just saw New England go undefeated without a 1,000 yard rusher and Indy won 14 games without one either. So the theory of a an "elite" RB is garbage.

Remember something else that you are not taking into effect. I read that the average NFL RB career is about 3.5 years. The physical pounding they take now days is much worse then 10-20 years ago. The hits are viscious and they take a toll on the human body. That is why more teams are having RB by committee systems. A first round RB will cost 10-20 million in signing bonuses and their salary will take money away from other areas that are more needed. The value of a first round "stud" is decreasing. Too much money to spend and not enough value in return. In today's NFL it is almost not worth the risk in taking a RB high in the first round.

lancane
01-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Terel Davis was a sixth round find...that is what Shanny does, he finds diamonds in the rough, whether you like it or not.

The NFL is turning more into a passing league as we just saw New England go undefeated without a 1,000 yard rusher and Indy won 14 games without one either. So the theory of a an "elite" RB is garbage.

Remember something else that you are not taking into effect. I read that the average NFL RB career is about 3.5 years. The physical pounding they take now days is much worse then 10-20 years ago. The hits are viscious and they take a toll on the human body. That is why more teams are having RB by committee systems. A first round RB will cost 10-20 million in signing bonuses and their salary will take money away from other areas that are more needed. The value of a first round "stud" is decreasing. Too much money to spend and not enough value in return. In today's NFL it is almost not worth the risk in taking a RB high in the first round.

Your point is not valid, we just signed a half-decent drug addict with injury problems for near the same amount...you do remember Henry? And T.D. was an elite back, or did you forget Brady slipped too? Name another diamond in the rough found lately at the halfback position? We just disagree, I guess we will find out when April comes around!

BroncosTX77
01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Your point is not valid, we just signed a half-decent drug addict with injury problems for near the same amount...you do remember Henry? And T.D. was an elite back, or did you forget Brady slipped too? Name another diamond in the rough found lately at the halfback position? We just disagree, I guess we will find out when April comes around!

Willie Parker?

'The Barbarian"?

:fight:

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 10:49 PM

There's only been one Terrel Davis so far, so don't tell me that's what Shanahan does. Our only other franchise back was taken in the 2nd round.

And the whole "theory of an elite RB is garbage" statement is just plain ridiculous. The NFL is cyclical, and right now passing is the trend. That said, I won't be surprised to see the teams that have viable run games come out on top. That's usually the case. Running is still one of the most important facets of the game.

JoRo
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
You forgot to mention that Mendenhall is the captain and leader of his team, and those stats do not say anything about how Illinois has two other halfbacks that share carries and it takes away from Mendenhall's numbers or that

Illinois has one of the better rushing quarterbacks in College football!

;)

This is the part that is a negative for me... while Williams takes carries away he is also something that helps open up running lanes for Mendenhall....

The vick factor

Having Vick in Atlanta all those years, the backs played better because the dline had to stay out wider on cutbacks due to fear of a bootleg. I don't watch Illinois that much so I donno if its the same, but if that is the case that may very well have inflated some of his stats.

I still think he may very well be a good back and am going to further look into it. But that is one of my concerns as of right now

silkamilkamonic
01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Edgerrin James was elite for NFL standards while in Indianapolis. He goes to Arizona and can't even average 4.0 ypc.

New England hasn't had a dominant RB with the exception of Dillon for one season. It doesn't hurt their success on offense.

Trung Canidate was dymanic in "the greatest show on turf", yet he wasn't even good enough to make another team in the NFL.

Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, it doesn't matter who runs the ball in Pittsburgh.

You don't need a franchise RB, per say. Yea there are exceptions, but if the scheme is working, ala QB to run the offense, or a power running scheme to protect your defense, RB's become a dime a dozen.

People wanna argue Shanahans's system works with a franchise RB like TD, remember he had arguably the greatest QB of all time protecting him. TD was special, but he hardly looked like an elite RB the following season without Elway, even before his injury.

BroncosTX77
01-01-2008, 11:02 PM
This is the part that is a negative for me... while Williams takes carries away he is also something that helps open up running lanes for Mendenhall....

The vick factor

Having Vick in Atlanta all those years, the backs played better because the dline had to stay out wider on cutbacks due to fear of a bootleg. I don't watch Illinois that much so I donno if its the same, but if that is the case that may very well have inflated some of his stats.

I still think he may very well be a good back and am going to further look into it. But that is one of my concerns as of right now

Smart fella. We seem to be the only ones looking at the big picture here.

The offensive scheme makes Mendenhall look great. The question remains to be seen is Mendenhall great due to the system or due to his talent? He had mediocre Freshman and Sophmore seasons. Is this a 1 year wonder? Too many unanswered questions to gamble a high 1st round draft pick on.

INC CP for joo, JoRo.

Again only my opinion. Not saying Mendenhall is a bad RB.

DancingHorsey
01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Smart fella. We seem to be the only ones looking at the big picture here.

The offensive scheme makes Mendenhall look great. The question remains to be seen is Mendenhall great due to the system or due to his talent? He had mediocre Freshman and Sophmore seasons. Is this a 1 year wonder? Too many unanswered questions to gamble a high 1st round draft pick on.

INC CP for joo, JoRo.

Again only my opinion. Not saying Mendenhall is a bad RB.

Watching the game today I came away with the impression Mendenhall was having success in spite of the system. I think he would be much better served in an I formation with a lead blocker than the spread option.

BroncoRT
01-02-2008, 06:33 AM

I don't know if you were listening to Mike and Mike this morning, but Chris Mortensen was talking about this same exact issue. NFL teams are looking at RB's from a financial standpoint and they are not worth the top ten money they are getting paid. Reggie Bush, Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, Laurence Maroney, Cadillac Williams just to name a few are either disappointing or injured in the last few years. For what teams are paying these guys and the years of service are not balancing out. The NFL is about trends and Shanny actually started the trend of RB by committee. For our system we do need a good RB, but I don't think Shanny will ever use a first round pick on a RB. Even if McFadden drops to us I think Shanny might pass on him.

Look at a Shanny protege in Kubiak, they select DE Super Mario over Reggie Bush and Kubiak and the Texans were a laughing stock in 2006. Now Kubiak and the Texans are looking like gurus and trend setters.

From an economic and "value" standpoint the the elite RB is decreasing. These guys are taking a pounding and can't hold up, so why pay them top ten money when you can get more value at other positions??? Owners don't like shelling out millions of bucks and have these guys career's only last three seasons. Mort was saying it looks now days you have to be an Adrian Peterson talent just to crack the top ten and he even had injury problems this year.

Before you start spewing off on TD and an elite RB, you need to look at trends and the current state of the NFL in 2008, not 1998.

BroncoRT
01-02-2008, 06:39 AM
There's only been one Terrel Davis so far, so don't tell me that's what Shanahan does. Our only other franchise back was taken in the 2nd round.

And the whole "theory of an elite RB is garbage" statement is just plain ridiculous. The NFL is cyclical, and right now passing is the trend. That said, I won't be surprised to see the teams that have viable run games come out on top. That's usually the case. Running is still one of the most important facets of the game.

I don't know if you were listening to Mike and Mike this morning, but Chris Mortensen was talking about this same exact issue. NFL teams are looking at RB's from a financial standpoint and they are not worth the top ten money they are getting paid. Reggie Bush, Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, Laurence Maroney, Cadillac Williams just to name a few are either disappointing or injured in the last few years. For what teams are paying these guys and the years of service are not balancing out. The NFL is about trends and Shanny actually started the trend of RB by committee. For our system we do need a good RB, but I don't think Shanny will ever use a first round pick on a RB. Even if McFadden drops to us I think Shanny might pass on him.

Look at a Shanny protege in Kubiak, they select DE Super Mario over Reggie Bush and Kubiak and the Texans were a laughing stock in 2006. Now Kubiak and the Texans are looking like gurus and trend setters.

From an economic and "value" standpoint the the elite RB is decreasing. These guys are taking a pounding and can't hold up, so why pay them top ten money when you can get more value at other positions??? Owners don't like shelling out millions of bucks and have these guys career's only last three seasons. Mort was saying it looks now days you have to be an Adrian Peterson talent just to crack the top ten and he even had injury problems this year.

Before you start spewing off on TD and an elite RB, you need to look at trends and the current state of the NFL in 2008, not 1998.

Nick
01-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Watching the game today I came away with the impression Mendenhall was having success in spite of the system. I think he would be much better served in an I formation with a lead blocker than the spread option.

I agree and also not just this game but other games to. A lot of their success is having him on there team. All deffensive players take in account for Mendenhall. If they did not have him on that team. That offense will go no where. People need to see the plays where he was not in the game. They were killed.

Also he is a great pass blocker that should keep getting better.

BroncosTX77
01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I agree and also not just this game but other games to. A lot of their success is having him on there team. All deffensive players take in account for Mendenhall. If they did not have him on that team. That offense will go no where. People need to see the plays where he was not in the game. They were killed.

Also he is a great pass blocker that should keep getting better.

I guess we haven't been watching the same team this year. Mendenhall got BLOWED UP while attempting to do something called blocking.

Again let me reiterate something. Denver running backs have to know how to read blocking schemes and have good vision to boot. In Illinois' offense all the reading is put on the coaches shoulders and JUICE's shoulders. Why do you think they all look at the sideline right before the snap. Mendenhall has 1 job. RUN if the QB hands/pitches the ball to him. He is a great runner and good pass catcher. He is NOT a complete back and not worthy of a high draft pick right now. But NFL is all about the what have you done lately WOW factor. If he comes out he may be picked by playoff team in the 1st round as a BPA.

JoRo
01-02-2008, 11:41 AM

Actually FO (lookin at per play stuff) shows that both Maroney and Addai are quite good.

here is the proof

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php

Maroney is 6th in the NFL on their rankins.... and Addai? 4th

Not bad at all

Now you ask why they can be ranked so highly that way when they werent that great in numbers?

On a per play basis they were excellent... on first down the play was considered successfull by FO if you gain 40% of the yards needed for the next first down... and then 60% on second down, and 100% on third down..

it is reasons like this that Bush is ranked at the very bottom, he gains very few big yardage plays and takes a ton of negatives... When you look at a running back I would much rather have a consistant yard gainer between 3-6 and the occasional big play than -5 to 10 yards a play

Just trying to explain a lil bit

the value of an elite rb has decreased some because you win by passing, when announcers say that "when so an so rushes for 100 yards they usually win" i stop listenin, because of course they gain more yards when their team wins, he is being used to run out the clock and will get more carries.

lancane
01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Actually FO (lookin at per play stuff) shows that both Maroney and Addai are quite good.

here is the proof

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php

Maroney is 6th in the NFL on their rankins.... and Addai? 4th

Not bad at all

Thank you JoRo, again my point being is that top backs, whether or not drafted in the 3rd, 1st or 7th rounds, the all-around backs have proven to be high draft picks...Faulk anybody? Bettis was a top draft pick, the problem for some NFL teams is they get these top backs and they do not know how to coach or incoporate them into the system, Denver does though.

Again I am not saying that I am dead set that Mendenhall will be the pick, but he will bring more then just the type of runner we like, he will bring a receiving threat from the backfield which neither Young, Henry or Hall really have shown capable of...is he the best blocker, no...but he has the size to block and it is only a matter of being taught.

Right now with Sundquist's and Lepsis's endorsement of Harris, I am not sure...but we might go with a first round tackle, they do it all the time where Sundquist or Shanahan says something to the effect that we are fine here or there and nabs that type of player: 2006 - Plummer, we select Cutler; 2007 - Foxworth, we trade for Bly; 2008 - Henry/Young/Walker/Harris, I think 1st Rnd halfback or offensive tackle!

JoRo
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I donno where I stand on all this to be honest with you.

Do I feel like a 1st round running back will help this team (if pans out) yes I do, it will help us to sustain drives, which gives the other team less time do stuff to us, which will improve our chances of beatin them.

Do I think without a first round RB we can be an effective team and win games? Yes I do. Shanny has found decent running backs in other rounds. You all know that. If he goes elsewhere in the first, and they pan out. I will be just as happy

All I hope for is that this draft is a good one, we need a lot of help this year, and I really don't want to see us blow money in FA on an Rb again, I hope we cut Henry and find a replacement, and if that happens to be Young and he pans out: Awesome I will be uber happy. IF it is a rookie back that we take somewhere in the draft and they pan out? Great

I just know we need help at WR, RB, and OL on offense

and then Dline and safety on D.

Linebacker could use work, but is not nearly the problem that DT is.... that is by far still the biggest weakness in my mind, with our Oline second. Whatever we do I hope those two are addressed.

The way I am currently thinkin:

If we don't get a superstar wideout but Cutler has an average 1.5 seconds more in the pocket without pressure he should be much better off at finding say Sheffler, Graham Marsh or Stokley... or whoever else we add

If we add a wideout and no line improvement occurs? Wow that doesn't help

I want us to improve, and if Mendenhall is the one to do it. I am all for it. End rant for now haha

lancane
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I donno where I stand on all this to be honest with you.

Do I feel like a 1st round running back will help this team (if pans out) yes I do, it will help us to sustain drives, which gives the other team less time do stuff to us, which will improve our chances of beatin them.

Do I think without a first round RB we can be an effective team and win games? Yes I do. Shanny has found decent running backs in other rounds. You all know that. If he goes elsewhere in the first, and they pan out. I will be just as happy

All I hope for is that this draft is a good one, we need a lot of help this year, and I really don't want to see us blow money in FA on an Rb again, I hope we cut Henry and find a replacement, and if that happens to be Young and he pans out: Awesome I will be uber happy. IF it is a rookie back that we take somewhere in the draft and they pan out? Great

I just know we need help at WR, RB, and OL on offense

and then Dline and safety on D.

Linebacker could use work, but is not nearly the problem that DT is.... that is by far still the biggest weakness in my mind, with our Oline second. Whatever we do I hope those two are addressed.

The way I am currently thinkin:

If we don't get a superstar wideout but Cutler has an average 1.5 seconds more in the pocket without pressure he should be much better off at finding say Sheffler, Graham Marsh or Stokley... or whoever else we add

If we add a wideout and no line improvement occurs? Wow that doesn't help

I want us to improve, and if Mendenhall is the one to do it. I am all for it. End rant for now haha

JoRo...here is a point, Kansas City will have Johnson back, San Diego will have L.T. of course, Oakland had better rushing stats then us this year. And rumor is the Davis may move to nab McFadden, or may look to trade down with Dallas in a big trade cause J. Jones wants McFadden, if he did that Davis could still get Felix Jones later...if they do, and with their improvement we could become the fourth best rushing game in the AFC west! Sad, because at one time...no one could get close to us. Two of them have elite halfbacks as is, and funny how those two toast us on the ground. Look how many teams have great backs that soar with a good ground game, and then look at us...I am tired of mediocre backs and being just mediocre!

;)

BroncosTX77
01-02-2008, 07:40 PM
You are evil. You are getting a Mendenhall Cult following :shake:

lancane
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
You are evil. You are getting a Mendenhall Cult following :shake:

:devil: Follow thee and greatness shall be yours...for eternity!

Hahaha... ;)

JaysusCutler
01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
And I am slowly joining it, but I have to retain this, in 2006, our red zonerunning game was awful. So we got Travis Henry, a bowling ball force, but he only had 1 touchdown through his shortened year. Our O-line is too small! We need big maulers up front that let our backs break the goal line instead of having Elam get all of our points. Lacane has me sold on Mendenhall, however, and I would like to know if there are any cornerstone LT's about 6-5 or 6-7 and 300-330 pounds in the second round we could get? We need that for sure.

lancane
01-02-2008, 08:18 PM
And I am slowly joining it, but I have to retain this, in 2006, our red zonerunning game was awful. So we got Travis Henry, a bowling ball force, but he only had 1 touchdown through his shortened year. Our O-line is too small! We need big maulers up front that let our backs break the goal line instead of having Elam get all of our points. Lacane has me sold on Mendenhall, however, and I would like to know if there are any cornerstone LT's about 6-5 or 6-7 and 300-330 pounds in the second round we could get? We need that for sure.

I would say that 2nd Round will likely be a defensive pick...too many good defensive tackles, but if we somehow got another in that round. I like Tony Hills from Texas, Oneil Cousins from UTEP who may fall into day two, Chris Williams from Vanderbilt if he does not climb, Carl Nicks from Nebraska and possibly Heath Benedict from Newberry.

As for the second day, there are some talented linemen such as Barry Richardson from Clemson, Chad Rinehart from Northern Iowa, Kirk Barton from Ohio St. and Duane Brown from Virginia Tech.

Cousins if he fell into the fourth round would be my choice, but not all these tackles will fall where projected so expect some to be available in the 4th Round.

beastlyskronk
01-02-2008, 08:44 PM

Travis Henry had about 4 or 5 touchdowns not 1.

lancane
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Travis Henry had about 4 or 5 touchdowns not 1.

Yes, he did...4 touchdowns, 3 fumbles, two good games and a drug charge in a pear tree! ;)

Hehehe...I am so evil! :D

beastlyskronk
01-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes, he did...4 touchdowns, 3 fumbles, two good games and a drug charge in a pear tree! ;)

Hehehe...I am so evil! :D

5 million in bonuses, 4 touchdowns, 3 fumbles, 2 good games and a drug charge ina pear tree

I don't know his real bonus but TOP THAT!!! ;)

ChrisSimpy
01-02-2008, 09:31 PM
5 million in bonuses, 4 touchdowns, 3 fumbles, 2 good games and a drug charge ina pear tree

I don't know his real bonus but TOP THAT!!! ;)

6 Games played, 5 million in bonuses, 4 touchdowns, 3 fumbles, 2 good games, and a drug charge in a pear tree :cheers:

beastlyskronk
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
6 Games played, 5 million in bonuses, 4 touchdowns, 3 fumbles, 2 good games, and a drug charge in a pear tree :cheers:

7 mil in child support, 6 games played, 5 million in bonuses, 4 touchdown, 3 fumbles, 2 good games, and a drug charge in a pear tree :cheers:

BroncoRT
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
7 mil in child support, 6 games played, 5 million in bonuses, 4 touchdown, 3 fumbles, 2 good games, and a drug charge in a pear tree :cheers:

8 defense lawyers, 7 mill in child support, 6 games played, 5 million in bonuses, 4 measly TD's, 3 slippery fumbles, 2 good games and a drug charge in a pear tree! :D

DancingHorsey
01-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Now that right there made me laugh.

beastlyskronk
01-03-2008, 04:54 PM
MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL will not be taken by the Broncos Lancane. Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrry. ;)

BroncosTX77
01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL, MENDENHALL will not be taken by the Broncos Lancane. Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrry. ;)

Oh NOES LANCANE!

CP <3 INC! :rockon:

lancane
01-03-2008, 09:10 PM

Same thing was said by many of the fans when I said Cutler would be Denvers pick! ;)

We have Plummer, We just went to the AFC Championship Game, Plummer ranks in the top of all quarterback categories!

Where is his butt now and who is in his place? And secondly I believe anything can happen, as I have said hundreds of times...just because I hope the kid is our pick that does not guarantee a damn thing. I never thought Shanahan would waste a pick on Moss, and he did! Simple fact is in the end we all are in the dark, we are guessing period, that is all this is...following the draft is fun for most of us. You do not know, we argue the facts and people go this way or that way...but in the end you do not know your foot from your backside as much as the rest of us...so you are sure 100% that Shanahan will not take a halfback, and all because of past drafts? Learn from the 2006 draft. No pick is sure-fire, not even the top ten!

We will all see, personally all of you who think Young and Henry are Batman and Robin instead of Joker and the Penguin will get a rude surprise and next year thirty more people will be screaming for a first round halfback, and we may be in the twenties then. And then if it happens again thirty more will be on the bandwagon and then one day Bowlen and company, who by the way some of them do read the boards often, will see the fans disatisfaction with their lack. Eventually it will happen, that is the way it is...I do not care as long as we have a good draft! Maybe something freaky happens and he drops into the second and we get Clady and Mendenhall, I would still be happy...but Shanahan's any halfback system is not as good as the fans think!

;)

lancane
01-04-2008, 03:49 AM
Oh NOES LANCANE!

CP <3 INC! :rockon:

By the way here is a bit of incentive on the whole Mendenhall issue, where is Shanahan from? Oak Park Illinois...he is a graduate of Eastern Illinois University and has ties to several schools in the Illinois area...just some food for thought!

;)