PDA

View Full Version : Scout.com Mock Draft is AWESOME FOR BRONCOS

broncofansd
01-26-2008, 09:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7716630/First-round-mock-draft:-Long-a-good-fit-in-Miami

Denver's 1st Round Pick---Ryan Clady OT Boise St.

Denver's 2nd Round Pick------Pat Sims DT Auburn

__________________________________________________ _________

I have wanted Pat Sims the whole time. My fear is that a team anywhere from 28th-41st Pick would take him. If this draft happened I would be STOKED.

I haven't seen Clady play much but from everything I have read he is the Real Deal at LT.

Pat Sims is a ALL-SEC DT along with Glen Dorsey. Only a Junior would be a sure fire top 10 pick if he came back his senior year.

So with this draft we address the 2 most important positions LT and DT. 2 Great Building Blocks to a GREAT TEAM.

My remaining Picks would be

4th Round Pick-------Vince Hall LB Virginia Tech A excellent LB the Broncos need.

4th Round Pick-------Thomas DeCloud Safety Cal Former CB who plays Safety

5th Round Pick-------Kevin Robinson WR Utah St. Excellent KR and decent WR

5th Round Pick-------Cory Boyd RB South Carolina Big RB

7th Round Pick-------Glen Sharpe CB Miami

7th Round Pick-------Maurice Murray DT New Mexico St.

Free Agents Corey Williams
Marlon McCree
DJ Hackett

What does anyone think about Scout's Draft????

Broncosinindy
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Jordan Dizon is what denver needs in the fourth :)

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Sims is interesting, but he's a real boom or bust pick. A guy that might be elevating to a high-mid 2nd round pick is Trevor Laws. He looked every bit as unstoppable as Ellis during Senior Bowl week. He was the absolute most productive DT in college, probably ever, this last season. And his motor does not stop.

If we want a clogger DT, we'd go with Sims. If we want a penetrator, and Slowik does, we'd go in another direction. I think Laws is a darkhorse 2nd round pick.

fraguela09
01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
I like Laws more... The safer pick. Sort of like how Crowder was the safer bet in his class last draft.

I bet Shanny looks to get a 2nd second round pick... He'll go LB with his first 2nd and then grab Laws with the second 2nd. Something like that.

We have the 12th pick of the 2nd round... I think we must get a playmaker... Cannot afford to miss on this pick and a guy like Sims is too much of a risk, IMO. I could be wrong...I don't even know alot about this guy...

BUT... IF JAred Mayo, Curtis Lofton or Erin Henderson is on the board... NO WAY we can pass them for a SIms.

ESPECIALLY if we got OT in the first round... WHY? B/c players like Clady/Sims wont help much next year... DEN needs one of their Day One picks to step in immediately.

AND... YES! I like LAws more.

mx_stiles13
01-26-2008, 09:47 PM
HELL NO!!!

San Diego - LaDanian Tomlinson

Kansas City - Larry Johnson

Oakland - Darren McFadden

Our entire division would have elite RBs except for us! It wouldn't be fair! ;)

Mendenhall needs to be a Bronco! if not him then Stewart!

Lock LT, LJ, DM, and Selvin Young in a room and tell them to fight to the death and I guarentee Young would get taken out before any contact was even made hahahaha <<<<< SARCASM

But damn screw Clady. Give Ryan Harris a shot and draft Mendenhall! We need the AFC West to become the most feared running division in NFL history! :salute:

fraguela09
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
That's just it... Are we comfortable with Pears-Harris?

Seems like Shanny is content with this... Is he bluffing? I know it's not sexy... but it would be nice to get O-line help... Problem is we have so many needs.

Maybe it's best we are "stuck" at 12... Let the 11 teams ahead of us narrow are choices... Make it less likely we grab a bust.

Ellis? Phillips? Clady? Mendenhall? STewart? Connor? Rivers? Let's hope most are off the board so it's basically "A" or "B" !

Right now... I change my mind ever day. Seems like Ellis makes the most sense, while Phillips is the biggest risk... Connor is the safest bet, yet Mendenhall/Stwart would make the biggest impact... Who knows!!! So many holes to fill and so few Day One picks.

My dream draft would grab us a RB, LB, DT, OT, KR/WR and a FS. 6 picks to make it work... I hope Shanny gets some more picks... I hope he gets his early picks right and he hits a few HRs in the later rounds. IT's possible Broncos get lucky and fill these 6 needs!

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-26-2008, 11:16 PM
That's just it... Are we comfortable with Pears-Harris?

Seems like Shanny is content with this... Is he bluffing? I know it's not sexy... but it would be nice to get O-line help... Problem is we have so many needs.

Maybe it's best we are "stuck" at 12... Let the 11 teams ahead of us narrow are choices... Make it less likely we grab a bust.

Ellis? Phillips? Clady? Mendenhall? STewart? Connor? Rivers? Let's hope most are off the board so it's basically "A" or "B" !

Right now... I change my mind ever day. Seems like Ellis makes the most sense, while Phillips is the biggest risk... Connor is the safest bet, yet Mendenhall/Stwart would make the biggest impact... Who knows!!! So many holes to fill and so few Day One picks.

My dream draft would grab us a RB, LB, DT, OT, KR/WR and a FS. 6 picks to make it work... I hope Shanny gets some more picks... I hope he gets his early picks right and he hits a few HRs in the later rounds. IT's possible Broncos get lucky and fill these 6 needs!

Actually, I don't think it's just Pears and Harris. Chris Kuper appeared adequate at Right Tackle when we've tinkered with him in that role. And Pears was certainly above average when he was forced to play Left Tackle when Lepsis was hurt.

In my mind, we currently look like this:

LT - Harris, Pears
LG - Hamilton, Myers
C - Nalen, Hamilton, Myers
RG - Kuper, Holland
RT - Pears, Kuper

Now, I agree that we need another developmental OT, but I don't think we need to spend a top selection on one as the situation is not as dire as it may originally appear. A 4th rounder on an OT should suffice, or simply acquiring one veteran in Free Agency.

muffcon350
01-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Jordan Dizon is what denver needs in the fourth :)

Dizon will NOT be drafted before the fifth round, if that high. As of right now he is too small to play OLB in the NFL, and too slow to play safety effectively. I honestly won't be suprised if he is a seventh rounder. I like the guy, he was really good in college, but I don't think many teams will take too big of a chance on him with a fourth rounder of higher.

Javalon
01-27-2008, 01:47 AM
Sims is interesting, but he's a real boom or bust pick. A guy that might be elevating to a high-mid 2nd round pick is Trevor Laws. He looked every bit as unstoppable as Ellis during Senior Bowl week. He was the absolute most productive DT in college, probably ever, this last season. And his motor does not stop.

If we want a clogger DT, we'd go with Sims. If we want a penetrator, and Slowik does, we'd go in another direction. I think Laws is a darkhorse 2nd round pick.

I could be wrong but didn't Laws switch to DE this past year? Is he planning to switch back to DT in the NFL?

As for Ellis, with all the hype he got this week and even before this week, I'm thinking there's little chance we can even trade up for him. Man, I had really wanted one of the elite DTs in the draft this year. C'est la vie!

BroncoKazuki
01-27-2008, 01:52 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7716630/First-round-mock-draft:-Long-a-good-fit-in-Miami

Denver's 1st Round Pick---Ryan Clady OT Boise St.

Denver's 2nd Round Pick------Pat Sims DT Auburn

I have wanted Pat Sims the whole time. My fear is that a team anywhere from 28th-41st Pick would take him. If this draft happened I would be STOKED.

I haven't seen Clady play much but from everything I have read he is the Real Deal at LT.

Pat Sims is a ALL-SEC DT along with Glen Dorsey. Only a Junior would be a sure fire top 10 pick if he came back his senior year.

So with this draft we address the 2 most important positions LT and DT. 2 Great Building Blocks to a GREAT TEAM.

My remaining Picks would be

4th Round Pick-------Vince Hall LB Virginia Tech A excellent LB the Broncos need.

4th Round Pick-------Thomas DeCloud Safety Cal Former CB who plays Safety

5th Round Pick-------Kevin Robinson WR Utah St. Excellent KR and decent WR

5th Round Pick-------Cory Boyd RB South Carolina Big RB

7th Round Pick-------Glen Sharpe CB Miami

7th Round Pick-------Maurice Murray DT New Mexico St.

Free Agents Corey Williams
Marlon McCree
DJ Hackett

What does anyone think about Scout's Draft????

I think this is an Objective of what Other's think we need, of course they think our woes are far out of proportion because most people in the NFL dont want the Bronco Run Monster to re-awaken. I think most other NFL teams are content that our RB's cant produce in the red zone, nor pound the ground to get those short yards, and to protect the QB. Stuff that TD then Portis use to do for us.

Im sorry but, sadly this is an Offense Draft no brainer. Mendenhall/Stewart/Jones in the 1st and Cousins in the 2nd for O-line help and maybe Bennett if we can grab him in a late 2nd or early 3rd pick if he lands there. Rest of the Draft can be all Defense but we need to rebuild the offense so people fear us the same way they feared Elway and TD in the late 90's.:salute:

broncolee
01-27-2008, 06:44 AM
HELL NO!!!

Lock LT, LJ, DM, and Selvin Young in a room and tell them to fight to the death and I guarentee Young would get taken out before any contact was even made hahahaha <<<<< SARCASM

But damn screw Clady. Give Ryan Harris a shot and draft Mendenhall! We need the AFC West to become the most feared running division in NFL history! :salute:

I think Henry can beat the snot out of CryDanian Tomlinson in a fight, so send him into that room instead. Larry Johnson will off McFadden or vice versa. Then, either no AFC West team will have an elite back or only one will, although, Johnson could already be moving down from elite status.:D:P

I would be happy with the Broncos taking Clady, Harris can always play the right side. He might have to put on 10 or 15 pounds, but he could probably play that side better than Pears, considering he at least had enough talent to get drafted.

mx_stiles13
01-27-2008, 08:34 AM
I think Henry can beat the snot out of CryDanian Tomlinson in a fight, so send him into that room instead. Larry Johnson will off McFadden or vice versa. Then, either no AFC West team will have an elite back or only one will, although, Johnson could already be moving down from elite status.:D:P

I would be happy with the Broncos taking Clady, Harris can always play the right side. He might have to put on 10 or 15 pounds, but he could probably play that side better than Pears, considering he at least had enough talent to get drafted.

Yeah but when Jay Cutler accidentally stumbles into the room and LT stiff-arms him into the ground, Travis Henry will look at Cutler for a while and be like "Sucks to be you". :D

But really I can't stand Henry being a Bronco. He is a screw up and a bad teammate.

Cugel
01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I think this is an Objective of what Other's think we need, of course they think our woes are far out of proportion because most people in the NFL dont want the Bronco Run Monster to re-awaken. I think most other NFL teams are content that our RB's cant produce in the red zone, nor pound the ground to get those short yards, and to protect the QB. Stuff that TD then Portis use to do for us.

Im sorry but, sadly this is an Offense Draft no brainer. Mendenhall/Stewart/Jones in the 1st and Cousins in the 2nd for O-line help and maybe Bennett if we can grab him in a late 2nd or early 3rd pick if he lands there. Rest of the Draft can be all Defense but we need to rebuild the offense so people fear us the same way they feared Elway and TD in the late 90's.:salute:

I think that is silly. The reasons the Broncos were feared in the late 90's were ELWAY, Sharpe & T.D. -- three hall of famers. Sure, the Broncos had a superior OL with Zimmerman, but really it came down to those three (plus Rod Smith). Cutler doesn't compare yet to Elway, if he ever will, Sheffler/Graham are no Sharpe and no Broncos RB since T.D. comes close to him.

Drafting an OL or Mendenhall in the first & 2nd rounds isn't going to change that. :coffee:

Meanwhile the Defense was near the bottom of the league last year. That needs to change or the Broncos are going nowhere.

ReleaseTheBeast7
01-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Ellis is the guy I want in the first, but since he's definitely not going to be there now, we HAVE to take Clady to protect Cutler's blindside, because we know for a fact Harris/Pears is not going to be able to do that.

As for RB, this draft is LOADED and I mean LOADEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD at RB, Cory Boyd, who was mentioned before(And I love him by the way), would have been a 2-3 round pick in last years class. This year it's just jam packed though. Matt Forte is another guy who is going to be elite at the next level, as with Ray Rice who will be a 2nd round pick. There's so many good RBs in this draft, just pick one out of a hat.

Or sign Michael Turner and watch him EXPLODE onto the scene here in Denver. Woooo, I'd love to have him.

Cugel
01-27-2008, 11:24 AM

The fact that Simms is a boom or bust pick wouldn't stop Shanahan: he drafted Thomas, Darius Watts, Toviesi. . . the list of boom or bust picks goes on and on.

I like the idea of finding a decent DT in the 2nd round though, since there aren't any suitable candidates at #12, once Ellis & Dorsey are gone by #5.

gyldenlove
01-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Pat Sims will be a better pro than Trevor Laws.

I have spoken.

broncofansd
01-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Pat Sims isn't a boom or bust selection. This guy is 6'4" 312lbs ran a sub 5 second 40 time and was ALL-SEC at DT along with Glen Dorsey. He was also defensive player of the game in his BOWL game.

He is only a Junior and if he came back and played his Senior year he would be a top 10 pick. As it is now he is rated by Todd McShay late 1st / early 2nd Round Pick.

So you are way off.

Jarvis Moss was a boom or bust selection. He was the 2nd Best DE on his Florida Team. D. Harvey was better. He only had 7.5 Sacks his senior year while Dumervil had 22 Sacks or something like that. Moss is looking like a HUGE BUST right now.

We should have drafted Reggie Nelson/M.Griffin/B. Meriweather at Safety last year. Oh well.

Pat Sims is SEC MONSTER DT.

BELIEVE IT.

Javalon
01-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Pat Sims isn't a boom or bust selection. This guy is 6'4" 312lbs ran a sub 5 second 40 time and was ALL-SEC at DT along with Glen Dorsey. He was also defensive player of the game in his BOWL game.

He is only a Junior and if he came back and played his Senior year he would be a top 10 pick. As it is now he is rated by Todd McShay late 1st / early 2nd Round Pick.

So you are way off.

Jarvis Moss was a boom or bust selection. He was the 2nd Best DE on his Florida Team. D. Harvey was better. He only had 7.5 Sacks his senior year while Dumervil had 22 Sacks or something like that. Moss is looking like a HUGE BUST right now.

We should have drafted Reggie Nelson/M.Griffin/B. Meriweather at Safety last year. Oh well.

Pat Sims is SEC MONSTER DT.

BELIEVE IT.

I have trouble taking seriously anyone who claims Moss is "looking like a HUGE BUST" after ONE season, an one in which he broke a bone and didn't even get to finish developing. Do I really have to go into how many players, even first-rounders, take at least a year or more before becoming good pros.

And the fact is, our defensive line was a much bigger need than safety in that draft, although safety would have been a good backup option. It's amazing how biased some people get when the draft didn't fulfill their expectations. Moss was picked by a great many "experts" to go about where he did and yet now some of you are already yelling "BUST!"

Anyway, I think boom or bust selections are fine, depending on the situation. Obviously you hope the odds favor the boom more than bust but sometimes you have to take chances. We need another DT and I wouldn't mind a boom or bust DT in the 2nd round or later if he has a pretty good chance at booming.

JoRo
01-27-2008, 02:13 PM
I could be wrong but didn't Laws switch to DE this past year? Is he planning to switch back to DT in the NFL?

As for Ellis, with all the hype he got this week and even before this week, I'm thinking there's little chance we can even trade up for him. Man, I had really wanted one of the elite DTs in the draft this year. C'est la vie!

Jav I am fairly certain that Dame played a 3-4 this year and I think that Laws had played DE in that scheme (which is more similar to DT anyways)

Still seems fairly impressive to me.

I am really going back and forth on my thoughts with the draft. I just hope whoever we take isn't a complete bust (or a punter in the first round or something like that)

thejake_09
01-27-2008, 02:18 PM
But damn screw Clady. Give Ryan Harris a shot and draft Mendenhall! We need the AFC West to become the most feared running division in NFL history! :salute:[/QUOTE]

I agree...we defintely need to give ryan harris a shot. He would have been a 1st rounder if not for his back injury late in his senior year. Pears IS good enough for right tackle.

denver30
01-27-2008, 02:22 PM

I agree...we defintely need to give ryan harris a shot. He would have been a 1st rounder if not for his back injury late in his senior year. Pears IS good enough for right tackle.[/QUOTE]

Just draft Tyler Polumbus in the seventh and train him to take over for Pears. Polumbus has a lot of potential!

BroncoKazuki
01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I think that is silly. The reasons the Broncos were feared in the late 90's were ELWAY, Sharpe & T.D. -- three hall of famers. Sure, the Broncos had a superior OL with Zimmerman, but really it came down to those three (plus Rod Smith). Cutler doesn't compare yet to Elway, if he ever will, Sheffler/Graham are no Sharpe and no Broncos RB since T.D. comes close to him.

Drafting an OL or Mendenhall in the first & 2nd rounds isn't going to change that. :coffee:

Meanwhile the Defense was near the bottom of the league last year. That needs to change or the Broncos are going nowhere.

Well I'm comparing them on the basis of the Offensive weapons.

We have Cutler, Marshall, Scheff, Stokley and thats it, the only good o-line players will be the ones we'll have to replace in 2009.

What I dont get is that your willing to write off the way our defensive coaching was during the whole 2007 season. Coaching can impact how the team plays no matter how much talent is on the defensive side of the ball. Case in point take a quick look at the raiders for the past 3 seasons. Their Coaching staff is so horrible on both sides of the ball that theres no real stability witch has infected the way both sides of the ball have played. When they get some form of stability they play well, but when it breaks down they become horrible.

I mean we went through 2 DC's in 2 seasons, if Coyer was around maybe we wouldn't be at the bottom of the league, but the same effect would turnover from last year.

Last year it was the offense couldn't sustain a drive at all in either aspect (passing and rushing), until Jay came in opening up the passing game even though he went 2-3 in the bottom of the year we still had somewhat of a medicore run.

This year we didn't have a run game to speak of, Henry was only good for 3 games... that was it 3 whole games then was just crap when he came back. Selvin and Hall were not all that impressive and we still lacked that run game in the red zone and short yard situations.

Granted the defense needs to be fixed but not in the 1st round. Unless your one of the faithful that Shanahan can turn RB Coal into a diamond for at least a year then have that said RB lump disappear.

Face it we will not I repeat...not find the 2nd coming of TD in rounds 4 5 and 6 at all. Round 3 will be a far out reach in amount of talent and by far the talent pool for RB starts running thin in round 2.

Im looking at it from a certain prospective and all I see is if we dont upgrade our run game first and foremost we'll be at the near bottom of the barrel in the AFC West.

stnzed
01-27-2008, 03:04 PM
HELL NO!!!

I'm totally with you on the Mendenhall/Stewart idea!

And I firmly believe Shanahan is has no intention of upgrading the offensive line anyway.

But if I could have it my way, the OL would look like this:

LT__Clady--
LG__Kuper--
C___Nalen--
RG__Holland--
RT__Gross--

With Pears, Myers and Harris as backups (Hamilton gone :rockon: ).

......This line is possible, but not even close to ever being a reality!

Since there are no DT's in the first round and Phillips will probably be gone, I'm hoping (Praying) that Shanahan drafts a real RB.

But I do not believe he'll draft either a RB or a LT in the first round.

Btw, screw Ryan Harris....:D..

Cugel
01-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I have trouble taking seriously anyone who claims Moss is "looking like a HUGE BUST" after ONE season, an one in which he broke a bone and didn't even get to finish developing. Do I really have to go into how many players, even first-rounders, take at least a year or more before becoming good pros.

And the fact is, our defensive line was a much bigger need than safety in that draft, although safety would have been a good backup option. It's amazing how biased some people get when the draft didn't fulfill their expectations. Moss was picked by a great many "experts" to go about where he did and yet now some of you are already yelling "BUST!"

Anyway, I think boom or bust selections are fine, depending on the situation. Obviously you hope the odds favor the boom more than bust but sometimes you have to take chances. We need another DT and I wouldn't mind a boom or bust DT in the 2nd round or later if he has a pretty good chance at booming.

There's no point in trying to be reasonable when idiots rant Jav! :laugh:

Obviously nobody can tell whether Moss will be a pro-bowl player or a bust at this point. Give him another 2 years and we'll be able to tell then.

After their rookie season, all sorts of idiots both fans and media were crowning Vince Young as the player of the 2006 draft and saying that the Texans really blew it by drafting DE Mario Williams #1 overall, instead of Reggie Bush!

Right now, the Saints wish they had any number of players OTHER than Reggie Bush, and Vince Young is looking like the second coming of "Ron Mexico", a great running QB, but not a very good QB.

Meanwhile Mario Williams just gets better and better. He will be in the pro-bowl by his 4th season for sure at this rate and promises to be a dominant DE in the NFL for a long time. A great selection.

So, I think we can hold off on worrying about Moss for another season or two. If he doesn't show any development this season, then there's room for concern, and if he doesn't develop into a consistent pass-rusher by 2009 then we can label him a bust. But, not until. :coffee:

jlarsiii
01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Well I'm comparing them on the basis of the Offensive weapons.

We have Cutler, Marshall, Scheff, Stokley and thats it, the only good o-line players will be the ones we'll have to replace in 2009.

What I dont get is that your willing to write off the way our defensive coaching was during the whole 2007 season. Coaching can impact how the team plays no matter how much talent is on the defensive side of the ball. Case in point take a quick look at the raiders for the past 3 seasons. Their Coaching staff is so horrible on both sides of the ball that theres no real stability witch has infected the way both sides of the ball have played. When they get some form of stability they play well, but when it breaks down they become horrible.

I mean we went through 2 DC's in 2 seasons, if Coyer was around maybe we wouldn't be at the bottom of the league, but the same effect would turnover from last year.

Last year it was the offense couldn't sustain a drive at all in either aspect (passing and rushing), until Jay came in opening up the passing game even though he went 2-3 in the bottom of the year we still had somewhat of a medicore run.

This year we didn't have a run game to speak of, Henry was only good for 3 games... that was it 3 whole games then was just crap when he came back. Selvin and Hall were not all that impressive and we still lacked that run game in the red zone and short yard situations.

Granted the defense needs to be fixed but not in the 1st round. Unless your one of the faithful that Shanahan can turn RB Coal into a diamond for at least a year then have that said RB lump disappear.

Face it we will not I repeat...not find the 2nd coming of TD in rounds 4 5 and 6 at all. Round 3 will be a far out reach in amount of talent and by far the talent pool for RB starts running thin in round 2.

Im looking at it from a certain prospective and all I see is if we dont upgrade our run game first and foremost we'll be at the near bottom of the barrel in the AFC West.

The idea for us will be to take the best player available (BPA). Chances are decent that a real impact defensive player will not be available by pick 12, but that doesn't mean take a rb in the first round with the talent pool being as deep as it is at that position.

Shanny will do whatever he feels like. What I don't understand is what you think will happen if we don't do something about our defense. If we just pile up on offensive players then we will be just like the Colts or the Chiefs over the last several years. IF you don't remember they would try to 'outscore' their opponents because they couldn't stop anyone.

Indy finally made their run to a championship after they addressed their defense. We need to be cognizant of the same.

What good would it do if we scored 35 points a game only to have our opponents score 36 points a game and we lose every one. Between the two units defense is by far the weaker unit so if we "choose" to continue to use second day draft picks and washed up hasbeen retreads our team will go nowhere.

If the talent is available then I hope we address the biggest areas of NEED. IF not then I hope we take the BPA, or trade down for more draft picks etc.

BroncoKazuki
01-27-2008, 07:25 PM
The idea for us will be to take the best player available (BPA). Chances are decent that a real impact defensive player will not be available by pick 12, but that doesn't mean take a rb in the first round with the talent pool being as deep as it is at that position.

Shanny will do whatever he feels like. What I don't understand is what you think will happen if we don't do something about our defense. If we just pile up on offensive players then we will be just like the Colts or the Chiefs over the last several years. IF you don't remember they would try to 'outscore' their opponents because they couldn't stop anyone.

Indy finally made their run to a championship after they addressed their defense. We need to be cognizant of the same.

What good would it do if we scored 35 points a game only to have our opponents score 36 points a game and we lose every one. Between the two units defense is by far the weaker unit so if we "choose" to continue to use second day draft picks and washed up hasbeen retreads our team will go nowhere.

If the talent is available then I hope we address the biggest areas of NEED. IF not then I hope we take the BPA, or trade down for more draft picks etc.

You also forget, Indy was still weak on the run when they won their SB. They beat the Bears... the top Defense in the NFL last year. They virtually steamed rolled over them.

Also it was no surprise that Indy would win, i mean they did have time to build a great Offense for Manning and were able to pile on every so often on the Defensive side of the ball while keeping the team very competitive. Something I can see us doing and would work.

The thing is, Shannahan sucks... Sucks at drafting defense. Very Few of his Defensive Drafts have actually stuck on our Defense. Hell the guy turned the browncos into something decent under Coyer and greatly I think it was Coyer who brought out the Best from the Browncos.

Shanahan must focus to his strenghts and I see him trading down to either the 15th or 17th spot maybe even trade with Dallas to add another day 1 pick and grabbing a RB (Mendenhall, Stewart,Jones) then getting whatever else weither it be a OT, WR, DT in the 2nd round and day 2.

I hate to say it but this year is not good at all to go defense. Next year yes would be all for the Defense, as theres not many good Offensive impact players as there are this year.

FitzyBoi
01-28-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't know about y'all, but I think DJ belongs back outside where he can tear things up...Don't misunderstand, because the kid certainly produced in the middle, landing himself 2nd for most tackles behind Willis (who's a freak of nature)...but I wouldn't mind shipping off Javon, should he still be unhappy, to the Jets for Jonathan Vilma (although I am adamant about keeping him, because I can't imagine a deeper receiving threat than Walker, Marshall and Stokely--complemented by Scheffler in the RZ of course). Vilma clearly didn't perform up to his capabilities this season, and Harris more than proved his worth in the Jets new defensive scheme. If we were able to trade Javon and a 4th rounder for Vilma, I'd be ecstatic!!

I also don't like the idea of taking an OT in the first round, as we are going to be capable at that position for the coming year. I agree, our line certainly needs upgrading, but the value just isn't there in the 1st. Matching value to necessity...the Broncos need to be looking at DT / S / ILB, and that's that. Ellis and Dorsey will be off the board, and we have a great shot at landing Phillips, but I like the idea of trading down a few spots with our Draft Day looking something like this...

Round 1 - Pat Sims, DT, Auburn
Round 2 - Jerod Meyo, ILB, Tennessee (if the Walker trade never happens)
Round 4 - Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida
Round 4 - Tommy Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame

fraguela09
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
LAWS is a best... a tackling machine. I would love Laws. Sims probably has more upside but Laws is the safer pick. I look at last year, where DEN took Crowder... There were "better" DE options but SHANNY grabbed the most reliable prospect. Crowder was a workhorse... Reliable. Same as LAWS.

Jarvis MOSS has been a big disappointment, for me, in his rookie season. He got hurt in the pre-season, was almost lost for the year, only to return and actually get hurt and miss the season. I wasn't upset with his selection... I was just perturbed with how we traded up to get him. I've even suggested he's a bust several times... BUT... it's way too premature to utter such sentiments...

Mario Williams is the perfect example. AND, let's not forget... I'm not seeing what he can do in practice... All I can go on is his performance on Sundays... BUT... as "cutlerfan" pointed out in another thread...

{According to By ERIC GOODMAN, FOX 31 Sports} --

One Broncos player, who asked to remain anonymous, recently told me, “This team doesn’t have enough talent on defense." He impressed though with Jarvis Moss, who missed most of the season with an injury, but is dedicated to getting better with his off-season workouts.

Obviously, those "in-the-know" see the potential there... And, after all, this is why we drafted him... SURE... We reached... but the ceiling was too high to ignore. As we did w/ Marcus Thomas. Thomas stepped up... AND, if healthy, I still hold out hope that Moss becomes something special!

ANYWAY... I do think OT could be possible... Clady, Baker, Williams. All of these would help the O-line. However, we did spend a third rounder last year and the team seems to be high on Harris. Would a rookie step in and be better? Still, not the worst thing to have 3 good OT (Harris, Pears, Rookie).
I think Kuper is going to be All-Pro caliber at Guard. SO, we juts need a center, another G and a OT to have our O-line in place.

I think we have BIGGER needs though. I think RB, LB, FS, DT are more important right now. BUT, with all these needs, I don't care which ones are filled. I will only say this:

(1) Denver needs to grab another Day One pick (2nd rounder), and they must get themselves a 3rd rounder...

(2) Say DEN has a 1,2,2,3,4,4,5,5,7,7... Say they have about 9 picks. They must find SIX productive players... at the least... and two of those better be "special."

stnzed
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
LAWS is a best... a tackling machine. I would love Laws. Sims probably has more upside but Laws is the safer pick. I look at last year, where DEN took Crowder... There were "better" DE options but SHANNY grabbed the most reliable prospect. Crowder was a workhorse... Reliable. Same as LAWS.

Jarvis MOSS has been a big disappointment, for me, in his rookie season. He got hurt in the pre-season, was almost lost for the year, only to return and actually get hurt and miss the season. I wasn't upset with his selection... I was just perturbed with how we traded up to get him. I've even suggested he's a bust several times... BUT... it's way too premature to utter such sentiments...

Mario Williams is the perfect example. AND, let's not forget... I'm not seeing what he can do in practice... All I can go on is his performance on Sundays... BUT... as "cutlerfan" pointed out in another thread...

{According to By ERIC GOODMAN, FOX 31 Sports} --

One Broncos player, who asked to remain anonymous, recently told me, “This team doesn’t have enough talent on defense." He impressed though with Jarvis Moss, who missed most of the season with an injury, but is dedicated to getting better with his off-season workouts.

Obviously, those "in-the-know" see the potential there... And, after all, this is why we drafted him... SURE... We reached... but the ceiling was too high to ignore. As we did w/ Marcus Thomas. Thomas stepped up... AND, if healthy, I still hold out hope that Moss becomes something special!

ANYWAY... I do think OT could be possible... Clady, Baker, Williams. All of these would help the O-line. However, we did spend a third rounder last year and the team seems to be high on Harris. Would a rookie step in and be better? Still, not the worst thing to have 3 good OT (Harris, Pears, Rookie).
I think Kuper is going to be All-Pro caliber at Guard. SO, we juts need a center, another G and a OT to have our O-line in place.

I think we have BIGGER needs though. I think RB, LB, FS, DT are more important right now. BUT, with all these needs, I don't care which ones are filled. I will only say this:

(1) Denver needs to grab another Day One pick (2nd rounder), and they must get themselves a 3rd rounder...

(2) Say DEN has a 1,2,2,3,4,4,5,5,7,7... Say they have about 9 picks. They must find SIX productive players... at the least... and two of those better be "special."

Are you disappointed that he got hurt or are you disappointed he didn't put up 12 sacks in the 6 games he played in?......

fraguela09
01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Are you disappointed that he got hurt or are you disappointed he didn't put up 12 sacks in the 6 games he played in?......

DISAPPOINTED he got hurt. I know stuff happens... BUT, one of the red flags on this guy was that he was "injury-prone" (whatever that means). SO, the guy almost tears up his knee in the pre-season.. PHEW... we avoid disaster... He returns... THEN, he tears his leg up in practice. ARGH!

I realize it's not his fault he got hurt... BUT... this was the risk DENVER assumed when they drafted him (and traded up to do so).

We all knew he had the talent/potential to be a pass rushing force. AND, YES! Expectations were high. We hoped he would at least be ELVIS... Step in right away on some passing downs and pressure the QB. He wasn't and then he got hurt.

We all know he could be special... BUT, he has to stay on the field for this to happen. Talent must translate in to production at some point.

SO, this is why I was disappointed. I just do not know if MOSS can handle the vigors of the NFL and stay healthy.

Luck involved? Perhaps...

I just get excited when I hear about what he shows in practice... I wait to see it on the field.

rugbythug
01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
You also forget, Indy was still weak on the run when they won their SB. They beat the Bears... the top Defense in the NFL last year. They virtually steamed rolled over them.

Also it was no surprise that Indy would win, i mean they did have time to build a great Offense for Manning and were able to pile on every so often on the Defensive side of the ball while keeping the team very competitive. Something I can see us doing and would work.

The thing is, Shannahan sucks... Sucks at drafting defense. Very Few of his Defensive Drafts have actually stuck on our Defense. Hell the guy turned the browncos into something decent under Coyer and greatly I think it was Coyer who brought out the Best from the Browncos.

Shanahan must focus to his strenghts and I see him trading down to either the 15th or 17th spot maybe even trade with Dallas to add another day 1 pick and grabbing a RB (Mendenhall, Stewart,Jones) then getting whatever else weither it be a OT, WR, DT in the 2nd round and day 2.

I hate to say it but this year is not good at all to go defense. Next year yes would be all for the Defense, as theres not many good Offensive impact players as there are this year.

You should know more

Shanahan has drafted very well on defense Esp. Linebacker
Defensive First round Picks who made the Pro-Bowl

Mobley
Wilson
Pryce
Oneal
Gold 2nd rounder

BroncoKazuki
01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
You should know more

Shanahan has drafted very well on defense Esp. Linebacker
Defensive First round Picks who made the Pro-Bowl

Mobley
Wilson
Pryce
Oneal
Gold 2nd rounder

How many are those still on the team before we traded them off...:coffee:

face it Shanny cant draft D-linemen for the sake of the team. Last years draft was probably his best defensive Draft, other then drafting DJ, Dumervil, who have shown to be something special for the team. Other then that most if not all are not on the roster and if by far most if not all are backups to those who we brought in to replace them. LBs have been more of a 40/60 debate.

Gold was brought in so we can mature DJ but i doubt he'll be on the roster this upcoming season. :coffee:

Cugel
01-28-2008, 03:25 PM

I don't want to get into a pointless argument here, but Indy won the SB because their defense became very tough in the playoffs, not because their offense suddenly got better!

Manning and that offense couldn't win a championship for years, then their defense comes together and starts playing well right around the playoffs and they get past the Pats and win the SB.

This year, their defense didn't do as well, result, they lose to S.D. in the playoffs. If you watched that game in which Billy Volek lead them to a playoff win, with L.T. and Gates injured, you saw that Indy's defense let them down.

Honestly, if you told the Colts before the game that Rivers, Gates, and L.T. would all be injured and sitting on the sideline in the 2nd half and/or ineffective, and that Billy Volek would be trying to lead the Chargers to a come-back win, the Colts players, media, fans, the entire world would say that game was in the bag. And it wasn't.

Defensive failure. Period. :coffee:

As for drafting, Shanahan has drafted busts on both defense and offense and hits on both defense and offense.

Offensive Busts:

1st and second round: WR Marcus Nash, WR Ashlie Lelie, C Lennie Friedman, T George Foster, WR Darius Watts

Defensive Busts:

1st and second round: CB Willie Middlebrooks, SS Eric Brown, CB Deltha O'Neal, DT Paul Toviesi, LB Terry Pierce

Some successes have been: 4th round DT Dumervil, 4th round WR Brandon Marshall, 2nd round Clinton Portis, 3rd Round DE Reggie Hayward (whom he let get away via FA).

So, there's no real advantage to Shanahan drafting offense over defense.