PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Laws - DT - Notre Dame

mx_stiles13
01-26-2008, 09:57 PM
This should be our guy!

He is 6'1 295 lbs. so he is not too big but a perfect fit for the scheme that Slowik runs.

Check out his scouting report.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/trevorlaws.html

Laws is a DEFENSIVE TACKLE and had 112 tackles in one season!

He has a non-stop motor and is productive against top college competition.

A DT with 100+ tackles is insane! The best part is that because he is undersized, he will fall to the mid rounds.

fraguela09
01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I would love to grab this guy... We could probably trade in to the later half of the second round (grabbing a third Day One selection) and be able to snag this guy...

This way we can go where we can go OT/RB/LB with our first two pick!

xX-Bronco-Xx
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM
He can penetrate the line that's for sure. He's blocked I think five kicks in his career here at ND and is always where the ball is. The bad thing is he can get careless sometimes and be overpowered by stronger linemen.

mx_stiles13
01-26-2008, 10:46 PM
He can penetrate the line that's for sure. He's blocked I think five kicks in his career here at ND and is always where the ball is. The bad thing is he can get careless sometimes and be overpowered by stronger linemen.

He can still bulk up to a little over the 300 mark.

How well does he play against the run?

fraguela09
01-26-2008, 10:56 PM
112 total tackles this year... 52 solo w/ 60 assists.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-26-2008, 11:22 PM
As mentioned in other threads, I think we'd have to use a high-mid 2nd round selection on him now.

He was neck and neck with Ellis all week at the Senior Bowl, though he doesn''t appear to have Ellis' freakish strength. He's a great player and a pure 3-technique that would be a great fit in an undersized, speed oriented D-line. Which is what we will probably run under Slowik.

Warhawk
01-26-2008, 11:32 PM
He was neck and neck with Ellis all week at the Senior Bowl, though he doesn''t appear to have Ellis' freakish strength. He's a great player and a pure 3-technique that would be a great fit in an undersized, speed oriented D-line. Which is what we will probably run under Slowik.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Keep in mind that he's not a freakish athlete, so the number crunching at the combine might tone down the interest in him a little.

Dream
01-27-2008, 01:48 AM
I'd have to agree with MUG's assessment on what he'll be like as a player; and his value as of now. Laws was a fourth round guy, perhaps fifth coming in and he did nothing but blow people away in Mobile. That, and he's extremely coachable. He played DE at Notre Dame too; but he still had an impressive year. I still think there a shot of him slipping to day two, but he's the kind of player everyone wants on their team.

Elvis Dumervil part two; but at DT.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-27-2008, 07:28 AM
I was extremely impressed with Laws both at practice and at the game. He and Ellis really utilized each other to make the other look better. Neither could be single-blocked. When Ellis got double teamed (early in the game) Laws shone and when they started double teaming Laws and leaving Ellis singled up, he dominated, also.

Honestly, it doesn't seem that there's a huge difference between the two other than Ellis is about 10 lbs heavier at ~305 than Laws at ~295 (it would be easy for Laws to bulk up over 300 if we wanted him to.

Ellis has probably put himself out of reach for us (he's this year's Okoye) but Laws is a reasonable trade off and a value-pick/overachiever. I'd love to see us take this guy in the draft and I wouldn't be upset to see us take him in the second round, even.

The thought of a first round RB (I really like both Mendenhall and Stewart) is a sexy pick and is exciting, but I really think we need to focus on the lines in this draft by taking best OT in the 1st (assuming both Ellis and Dorsey are gone) best DT in the second (assuming we don't get one in the 1st), and then look to find a reliable RB like a Smith, Forte, or Choice (all of whom I like) in the later rounds.

JoRo
01-27-2008, 08:25 AM
I was extremely impressed with Laws both at practice and at the game. He and Ellis really utilized each other to make the other look better. Neither could be single-blocked. When Ellis got double teamed (early in the game) Laws shone and when they started double teaming Laws and leaving Ellis singled up, he dominated, also.

Honestly, it doesn't seem that there's a huge difference between the two other than Ellis is about 10 lbs heavier at ~305 than Laws at ~295 (it would be easy for Laws to bulk up over 300 if we wanted him to.

Ellis has probably put himself out of reach for us (he's this year's Okoye) but Laws is a reasonable trade off and a value-pick/overachiever. I'd love to see us take this guy in the draft and I wouldn't be upset to see us take him in the second round, even.

The thought of a first round RB (I really like both Mendenhall and Stewart) is a sexy pick and is exciting, but I really think we need to focus on the lines in this draft by taking best OT in the 1st (assuming both Ellis and Dorsey are gone) best DT in the second (assuming we don't get one in the 1st), and then look to find a reliable RB like a Smith, Forte, or Choice (all of whom I like) in the later rounds.

I wouldn't complain if we did do something like that.

But how much do you think the combine will affect Laws? Someone said he doesn't have Ellis strength but where would you say he is at and how much would it affect him?

Curious :)

mx_stiles13
01-27-2008, 08:54 AM
As mentioned in other threads, I think we'd have to use a high-mid 2nd round selection on him now.

He was neck and neck with Ellis all week at the Senior Bowl, though he doesn't appear to have Ellis' freakish strength. He's a great player and a pure 3-technique that would be a great fit in an undersized, speed oriented D-line. Which is what we will probably run under Slowik.

I doubt he will go in the 2nd (it is possible though) but I think he is a 3rd round pick for sure. We should package some picks together to move up and snag him.

He isn't as strong as Sedrick Ellis (who is?) but I remember reading that Laws is the so-called smartest DT in the draft. So if that is true, that is a huge advantage that could make up for any lack of strength. But I don't think this guy is a pushover, we will have to wait for the combine.

broncs2bowl
01-27-2008, 09:03 AM
If Ellis falls to us at #12 take him and go else where in the second..............if he doesnt go with Trevor Laws

hey MUG wat happend to Okam?

megg
01-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I would love to grab this guy... We could probably trade in to the later half of the second round (grabbing a third Day One selection) and be able to snag this guy...

This way we can go where we can go OT/RB/LB with our first two pick!

I like your thinking!! I wish Shanny would think like that...:sad:

stnzed
01-27-2008, 12:18 PM

I think I'm gonna freakin puke. I am so sick of the Broncos lack of size and strength.

Especially small/weak Notre Dame players...:brick:...

mx_stiles13
01-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I think I'm gonna freakin puke. I am so sick of the Broncos lack of size and strength.

Especially small/weak Notre Dame players...:brick:...

Are you always negative? :D

6'1 295 pounds with room to add bulk is not that undersized.

He probably had the most productive year for a DT in NCAAF.

stnzed
01-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Are you always negative? :D

6'1 295 pounds with room to add bulk is not that undersized.

He probably had the most productive year for a DT in NCAAF.

I'm just so sick of Denver's lack of size and strength I could literally puke!

Game after game, season after season, Denver's scouting report is: Punch 'em in the mouth, they will cave.

Year after year they build on speed and quickness and get beat by teams with size AND strength AND speed AND quickness.

And the thought of ND players on the Denver Broncos does get me a little more negative, especially when we're talking about drafting one that could go as high as the second round when the scouting report you just posted talks as though he'll never even start in the NFL...:D...

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-27-2008, 01:04 PM
If Ellis falls to us at #12 take him and go else where in the second..............if he doesnt go with Trevor Laws

hey MUG wat happend to Okam?

I still think Okam is an elite Nose Tackle. But signs are on the wall that I'm alone in that opinion, so I figure there's little point in beating my head against the wall spewing that opinion over and over and annoying posters. Everyone knows my opinion. I also don't think he fits our defense any more since we dropped Bates, so there's little reason to tout him for our team any longer.

He'll really shine at the Combine though, he should be one of the strongest players and one of the best interviews. So, I think he'll ratchet up some interest there, but the fact he did not play in the Senior Bowl really submarined any hype he could continue from the Shrine game. And I don't think there's a chance he makes the first round now, though the 2nd is still in play, specifically to Cleveland.

I'm still very high on him, I think he'll be an elite Nose in the NFL. Time is going to tell, but I'll be keeping an eye on him wherever he goes. Hopefully it's not to the Chargers.

Cugel
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I still think Okam is an elite Nose Tackle. But signs are on the wall that I'm alone in that opinion, so I figure there's little point in beating my head against the wall spewing that opinion over and over and annoying posters. Everyone knows my opinion. I also don't think he fits our defense any more since we dropped Bates, so there's little reason to tout him for our team any longer.

He'll really shine at the Combine though, he should be one of the strongest players and one of the best interviews. So, I think he'll ratchet up some interest there, but the fact he did not play in the Senior Bowl really submarined any hype he could continue from the Shrine game. And I don't think there's a chance he makes the first round now, though the 2nd is still in play, specifically to Cleveland.

I'm still very high on him, I think he'll be an elite Nose in the NFL. Time is going to tell, but I'll be keeping an eye on him wherever he goes. Hopefully it's not to the Chargers.
Why do the Chargers need another NT when they have Jamal Williams? :confused:

stnzed
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Jamal Williams is getting old he's been banged up this last season, I could see them drafting someone to groom.

MUG's thinking makes good sense to me......

Cugel
01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Jamal Williams is getting old he's been banged up this last season, I could see them drafting someone to groom.

MUG's thinking makes good sense to me......

Well, he missed 3 games this year, I wouldn't say he's washed up just yet. He's 31 and has played 10 seasons, so I'd say he has a few good years left. He made some plays this year too.

I wouldn't mind seeing a "washed up" Jamal Williams on the Broncos.

stnzed
01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
No, I wouldn't say he's washed either, just that NT could be an option for a team with so few question marks.

And Williams is the exact kind of player I wish Denver had more of, even if he is on the Back 9......

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-27-2008, 05:54 PM
It takes a few years typically to groom a D-lineman. The big DTs tend to wear down quickly in their 30s. If you visit the Charger forums, the fans want to see the team draft a NT to groom behind Williams.