PDA

View Full Version : Colt Brennan.... future backup?

JoRo
01-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Mainly due to my boredom (I am stuck at work doing nothing and my PS3 wont work here due to my tv not working the right way) I am looking around at all these sites. One I came to was footballsfuture.com and I was reading about Brennan. Many have him falling far in the draft now due to his poor Senior Bowl week, and while I don't dispute that I do think he could become a good to decent option in the long run with the right coaching staff and offense.

So my question to ponder is this: if he happened to be there in the 6th or 7th how would any of you feel about Denver taking a flier on him and then letting him be our third qb and developmental guy?

I know he played in a very quirky offense at Hawaii, I am not stupid. But I think he has the tools to be a decent QB, he needs some coaching on footwork (run and shoot offense does that) and will probably never have a GREAT arm like Cutler, but with the right work I think he possibly could become a decent guy to have around?

Let the debate begin :) please don't just say "Hawaii suxxors so Brennan suxxors" being here for another three hours I have hope that I can actually read some meaningfull posts :)

kthxbai
01-27-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't want him in this organization. He'll just be a cancer with his off the field antics. Let some team draft him and watch him bust

denver30
01-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Mainly due to my boredom (I am stuck at work doing nothing and my PS3 wont work here due to my tv not working the right way) I am looking around at all these sites. One I came to was footballsfuture.com and I was reading about Brennan. Many have him falling far in the draft now due to his poor Senior Bowl week, and while I don't dispute that I do think he could become a good to decent option in the long run with the right coaching staff and offense.

So my question to ponder is this: if he happened to be there in the 6th or 7th how would any of you feel about Denver taking a flier on him and then letting him be our third qb and developmental guy?

I know he played in a very quirky offense at Hawaii, I am not stupid. But I think he has the tools to be a decent QB, he needs some coaching on footwork (run and shoot offense does that) and will probably never have a GREAT arm like Cutler, but with the right work I think he possibly could become a decent guy to have around?

Let the debate begin :) please don't just say "Hawaii suxxors so Brennan suxxors" being here for another three hours I have hope that I can actually read some meaningfull posts :)

Brennan is a future bust. He is not moblie and if you get any pressure on him, he will fold. we all saw this against Georgia and it will be the same way in the NFL.:eek: Don't waste a pick on him!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!

JoRo
01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Brennan is a future bust. He is not moblie and if you get any pressure on him, he will fold. we all saw this against Georgia and it will be the same way in the NFL.:eek: Don't waste a pick on him!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!

Ok. Granted he didn't do wel against Georgia... but look at the other talent on his team... look at his line...

He may "bust" but for a 6th round pick with some real potential that still isn't worth looking at? If he is that bad its not like we wasted much.

I am just curious and was hoping for some feedback

denver30
01-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok. Granted he didn't do wel against Georgia... but look at the other talent on his team... look at his line...

He may "bust" but for a 6th round pick with some real potential that still isn't worth looking at? If he is that bad its not like we wasted much.

I am just curious and was hoping for some feedback

We don't have a 6th round pick. If we pick him it would either be a 5th rounder or 7th rounder. Maybe it would be okay in we picked him with our last pick of the draft, but I would rather see us take 2 punters instead of Brennan.

RunYouOver
01-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Absolutely not.

No further comment.

JoRo
01-27-2008, 03:18 PM
We don't have a 6th round pick. If we pick him it would either be a 5th rounder or 7th rounder. Maybe it would be okay in we picked him with our last pick of the draft, but I would rather see us take 2 punters instead of Brennan.

That seems really ignorant... if you took two punters (a position where one will only be needed) you KNOW you are cutting one no matter what.

What if you drafted Brennan early 7th (donno if he falls there but I am curious) and we take him, let him sit and learn and work and who knows maybe we got a long term backup for trade bait in the future?

that seems much more productive than throwing TWO picks at TWO punters.

Now I am not indicating I want Brennan here, but I just wanted to debate it. By no means would I want us to give up much for him, but if he is there that late I don't see why not?

denver30
01-27-2008, 03:26 PM
That seems really ignorant... if you took two punters (a position where one will only be needed) you KNOW you are cutting one no matter what.

What if you drafted Brennan early 7th (donno if he falls there but I am curious) and we take him, let him sit and learn and work and who knows maybe we got a long term backup for trade bait in the future?

that seems much more productive than throwing TWO picks at TWO punters.

I don't think we should draft two punters, but drafting Brennan is worse than drafting two punters. Besides, Shanahan likes Cutler and Ramsey and he hasn't kept any of our other quarterbacks lately. Brennan is just not mobile enough for the NFL, and if he had to play in the NFL he would be eaten alive. It just isn't as productive as drafting an offensive linemen like Tyler Polumbus.

*Atwater*
01-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Nope no way he would be a waste of a pick.

JoRo
01-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Ok so I am just going to assume I am the only one that wouldn't mind taking a late flyer on a potential good qb down the road...:P

And glad all (read: none) of you explained your opinions. :coffee: I don't see how Brennan not being a scrambler would hurt him anymore than any other qb... and I don't want this to sound like I am defending him, cuz I dunno, but I was hopin to stir some REAL debate like other positions

TheFuture6
01-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Anyone watch him at the Senior Bowl? Not just the game, but all the practices too. God no, cant believe how bad he is. Sidearm, weak arm, innacurate, stares WR's down...

stnzed
01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't know about Brennen, but if (Big IF) a player like Flacco or Henne fell to one of Denver's extra picks, I'd love it if Denver drafted him......Developed him and traded him.

I think Brennen would be a good backup though.

A free agent/practice squad player to keep in mind, Kevin O'Connell, who was doing pretty decent this year til he puked in the E/W Shrine game......

The|Snake#16
01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't know about Brennen, but if (Big IF) a player like Flacco or Henne fell to one of Denver's extra picks, I'd love it if Denver drafted him......Developed him and traded him.

A free agent/practice squad player to keep in mind, Kevin O'Connell, who was doing pretty decent this year til he puked in the E/W Shrine game......

I'd be pretty pissed if we wasted a 2nd round pick on Flacco or Henne, which is likely where both of them will go.

TheFuture6
01-27-2008, 04:40 PM

Eek, dont say that. I know first hand, O'Connell is not a good QB. Went to all but one SDSU game this year, and half of them last year. Hes not very accurate, and he doesnt have a good arm. Maybe a practice squad player, but I cant picture any scenario in which he should be a starting QB

BF
01-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Colt is too high maintenance, jusi doesn't have NFL talent. If I were go after a QB in the 7th rd. or an undrafted player, I would try for Taylor Tharp from Boise Sate. A better player to try and develope.

stnzed
01-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Eek, dont say that. I know first hand, O'Connell is not a good QB. Went to all but one SDSU game this year, and half of them last year. Hes not very accurate, and he doesnt have a good arm. Maybe a practice squad player, but I cant picture any scenario in which he should be a starting QB

No! He's a backup QB at best, imo, not a developmental starter. But I thought he had better arm strength from the couple of games I saw. Great size though......

stnzed
01-27-2008, 06:01 PM
I'd be pretty pissed if we wasted a 2nd round pick on Flacco or Henne, which is likely where both of them will go.

Me too, that's why I think it'd be a big IF for them to fall to one of Denver's extra picks, but would be a great value there and something you could parlay into a higher pick down the round.

Think Matt Shaub......

HORSEPOWER 56
01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Colt Brennan is frickin' terrible. NO ONE will draft this guy. He'll be an UDFA and no one will sign him then, either. 6', 185 lbs as an NFL QB? He can't throw the deep ball, and he's poor at the short pass, too. So, he can throw okay between say 10 and 20 yds and that's it? Yep, that's the limit of his skill. He's small, weak, and he's not even a decent scrambler - for the love of God what is the draw with this guy? Don't let the college #s fool you!

Tim Chan had the same type of "success" at Hawaii - where is he now? Good Lord, Chris Leak was a better passer and scrambler than Brennan and he couldn't get a job - why would Brennan.

Congratulations Colt, you padded your stats playing for the best college team in a high school conference. As soon as you had to play with the big boys (Sugar Bowl, Senior Bowl) you showed exactly how crappy you really are. I'm betting Dave Kircus can get you a job at SUBWAY because that's the extent of your football(long) experience.

Colt Brennan...future backup? How about future vacuum cleaner salesman. :rolleyes:

JoRo
01-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Colt Brennan is frickin' terrible. NO ONE will draft this guy. He'll be an UDFA and no one will sign him then, either. 6', 185 lbs as an NFL QB? He can't throw the deep ball, and he's poor at the short pass, too. So, he can throw okay between say 10 and 20 yds and that's it? Yep, that's the limit of his skill. He's small, weak, and he's not even a decent scrambler - for the love of God what is the draw with this guy? Don't let the college #s fool you!

Tim Chan had the same type of "success" at Hawaii - where is he now? Good Lord, Chris Leak was a better passer and scrambler than Brennan and he couldn't get a job - why would Brennan.

Congratulations Colt, you padded your stats playing for the best college team in a high school conference. As soon as you had to play with the big boys (Sugar Bowl, Senior Bowl) you showed exactly how crappy you really are. I'm betting Dave Kircus can get you a job at SUBWAY because that's the extent of your football(long) experience.

Colt Brennan...future backup? How about future vacuum cleaner salesman. :rolleyes:

So based on ONE game he is useless? And then a weak readjusting to a new scheme that is far different than the one he has done?

Granted he doesn't have a great deep arm but he is accurate in the short to medium game when he relearns how to set his feet and such. Quick release and a good leader type....

I know Cutler had some clunker games against "REAL teams" lets see where that got him... :coffee:

Brennans team was even MORE overmatched than Cutlers when facing Georgia as Brennan was basically protected by future hotel bellboys and such (most of Hawaii's line is just local guys and such..)

and despite what you may think: Hawaii DID play real teams earlier in the year AND last year... were they as good as Georgia? Heck no... but most people knew that.

denver30
01-27-2008, 09:06 PM
So based on ONE game he is useless? And then a weak readjusting to a new scheme that is far different than the one he has done?

Granted he doesn't have a great deep arm but he is accurate in the short to medium game when he relearns how to set his feet and such. Quick release and a good leader type....

I know Cutler had some clunker games against "REAL teams" lets see where that got him... :coffee:

Brennans team was even MORE overmatched than Cutlers when facing Georgia as Brennan was basically protected by future hotel bellboys and such (most of Hawaii's line is just local guys and such..)

and despite what you may think: Hawaii DID play real teams earlier in the year AND last year... were they as good as Georgia? Heck no... but most people knew that.

But Cutler has mobility. Brennan does not. He reminds me of a shorter version of John Navarre. Don't remember him? You shouldn't. He was drafted by Arizona and I do not know if he is still on their roster but he had a better arm than Brennan and the same amount of mobility. Where did it get him? On the bottom of Arizona's depth chart. Brennan will follow a similar career path.

Max Power
01-27-2008, 09:15 PM

Flacco and Henne both look like 2nd rounders right now.

Max Power
01-27-2008, 09:16 PM

someone will pick him up. If Chris Leak could get picked up, so can Brennan. Some team will bring him in to TC to see if they got a diamond in the rough.

silkamilkamonic
01-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't know how Brennan will pan out in the NFL, but I wouldn't hold too much weight on that Georgia game.

Florida made Manning his little ----- throughout his tenure at Tennessee also.

If he's there with our second 5th, which I don't think he will be, I would most definitely consider him.

The only thing is, being sold on Cutler, which I am and the majority of the entire NFL fanbase is, it's kind of moot drafting a backup QB, when really you want a veteran who isn't going to be in over his head if the opportunity presents itself for him to play.

In Denver's case, considering might be an option, but I would hope that they don't.

BroncoKazuki
01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Brennan is just that a backup, a rookie backup.

I rather keep Ramsey then to spend a pick on this guy.:coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-28-2008, 09:46 AM

It's way more than "one game". I watched him all week at the senior bowl and it was blatantly obvious that he was the WORST QB there for either team. Not only is he not even average, he has ZERO in the measurables department - Weak arm (the guy can't make 1/2 the throws he's required to make at a pro level - think Matt Leinart with poor accuracy to boot!), can't scramble, not big enough to take a pounding or break tackles at the pro (or collegiate for that matter) level.

Remember, Hawaii's "running game" was a short passing game in which his WRs got dump offs and made a lot happen after the catch. This is where a ton of his numbers came from.

Did you not watch the senior bowl or any of the practices? Brennan looked worse out there than the local High School QB. He just isn't pro-level talent!

JoRo
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
It's way more than "one game". I watched him all week at the senior bowl and it was blatantly obvious that he was the WORST QB there for either team. Not only is he not even average, he has ZERO in the measurables department - Weak arm (the guy can't make 1/2 the throws he's required to make at a pro level - think Matt Leinart with poor accuracy to boot!), can't scramble, not big enough to take a pounding or break tackles at the pro (or collegiate for that matter) level.

Remember, Hawaii's "running game" was a short passing game in which his WRs got dump offs and made a lot happen after the catch. This is where a ton of his numbers came from.

Did you not watch the senior bowl or any of the practices? Brennan looked worse out there than the local High School QB. He just isn't pro-level talent!

Then why did he start?

From the draft websites I was looking at he looked BETTER than Woodson.. so is Woodson useless?

Also... I agree 100% that it may not be worth taking a rookie backup only two years into Cutlers career, but I am just saying it may be worth CONSIDERING... cuz if he pans out we have a good backup for a couple years then can trade him away for a pick ALA Hasselback, Kurt Warner, Aaron Brooks and so on like the Packers did when they had Favre.

MindField
01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
More like Colt Brennan, future Arena Leaguer...

rich_thunder
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
If you watch the film throughout his last two seasons he actually throws very accurate and can put the ball right on the money. Many offenses thrive off the short pass, ya so his arm strength may be lacking but last time i checked you could lift weights and actually believe it or not...improve arm strength? Wow amazing to think about! He even stated his goal is to reach 200 lbs by the combine, the all important event that can single handledly improve a players draft stock tenfold. He also showed his mobility when necessary so you cant knock him for that, just look how long bledsoe played and he was a freekin statue. Id like to see any NFL quarterback succeed with the pressure Brennan had on him in that Georgia game.
The whole draft stock thing shouldnt bother Brennan either after all just look at the success people have had who havent been drafted, heck let him go to arena and refine his mechanics we might have the next kurt warner.

FYI If Alex Smith can start for an NFL franchise DO NOT tell me that Colt Brennan cant. What a joke.