PDA

View Full Version : what do you think denver needs to get better at?

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
This is an either or question. Does denver need to get better at substaining longer drives on offense (to help keep the defense on the side lines) or to improve the defense against the run in order to limit the opposing teams time of possession?

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I know the answer is both need fixing, but I also believe which ever one you think needs it more is the direction we'll go with the 12th pick.

Schism
01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Improving against the run on D, by miles.

We're actually pretty good at sustaining long drives on Offense, it's turning these drives into TD's that we suck at.

KWHIT97
01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Tome of possesion on offense, not to mention scoring in the Damn red-zone;

Solution:RB Jonathan Stewart!!!!:rockon:

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
I couldn't find any information on how many three and outs denver had this year, but did notice we only attempted 31 field goals. Which is about average. One thing I did notice was we had the ball for 29 min. a game and were on d for 31. We were horrible on 4th down going 7-22.

Adrenaline
01-28-2008, 12:33 PM
The Punting position needs to be looked at.

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm guessing there aren't any ray guys in this years draft

Max Power
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
This is an either or question. Does denver need to get better at substaining longer drives on offense (to help keep the defense on the side lines) or to improve the defense against the run in order to limit the opposing teams time of possession?

both

but our run defense is the bigger problem between the two. For the most part, we moved the ball between the 20s just fine. I don't recall too many "3 and outs" either. Redzone offense was a recurring problem though.

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 12:56 PM
so if its a defensive problem, who is available with the 12th pick could help turn that around? DT LB S

Max Power
01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
so if its a defensive problem, who is available with the 12th pick could help turn that around? DT LB S

The trio of studs in my sig of course, Kentwan Balmer is another option (although I need to educate myself more on this young man).

fraguela09
01-28-2008, 01:02 PM
O-line
D-line
Safety play
Punt
ST coverage

Max Power
01-28-2008, 01:07 PM
O-line
D-line
Safety play
Punt
ST coverage

ST blocking on returns

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 01:27 PM
not sure that any of those three will still be there. scouts inc. rate phillips at 7th, connors at 9th and rivers at11th. We may get lucky and one will still be there. Which of the three would you covet most? How would you change the defense if your guy was drafted?

Max Power
01-28-2008, 01:31 PM
not sure that any of those three will still be there. scouts inc. rate phillips at 7th, connors at 9th and rivers at11th. We may get lucky and one will still be there. Which of the three would you covet most? How would you change the defense if your guy was drafted?

Out of the three I covet Phillips the most, and if I drafted him (which I would) I would put him at starting SS and move Hamza over to starting FS. If Lynch comes back, I'd put him in as a kind of 4th linebacker in nickel and dime packages. I'd bring back Ferguson as depth and as part of the punt and kick return coverages on special teams.

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
I think phillips would upgrade our defense and the schemes we could run. leave bailey and bly one on one. (we played a lot of zone last year) and turn up the pressure with phillips in and out of the box.

Bowie Man
01-28-2008, 01:43 PM
To me that is a no brainer. The Broncos were one of the top teams in yards. Definitely the defense.:salute:

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 01:47 PM
not saying i agree with this, but if we had a true feature back we would have scored more touchdowns in the red zone and been able to control more time of possession.

who's you pick at 12 bowie?

fraguela09
01-28-2008, 01:48 PM
One thing about watching DEN-GB SuperBowl last night (on ESPN) and the 1996 Jax upset... Was I noticed how important Atwater was to our defense.

If a RB broke free... he was tackled... IF a WR cross the middle... He was drilled. Atwater made plays, covered the field... made up for a lot of missed assignments. On top of that, he had a presence. WRs "knew" he was there and at any given moment could take their head off.

With CBs like Bailey/Bly... we do our secondary a disservice by having such weak safety play.

I do think a SAFETY is a must this draft. Sign Wilson... Draft Phillips/Barrett... We need someone back there who can cover ground and make a tackle.

We need OT/DT... to help both sides of the ball. STILL, we also need RB/LB/FS.

Which is why... I'm not really concerned whom we draft... I just think whichever direction we go... we better no miss. I think we need 6-8 players from this draft class... and 2 studs. Whatever position we address... FINE... we'll address the other positions next year.

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
so we went 7-9.

we had 6 horrible games against the colts, both games against the chargers, the horrible game against the lions, the second raider game, and the game against the texans.

the colts game let us know we need a better safety as dallas clark caught two td passes

we managed 6 pts and allowed 64 to the chargers. I hate them

we made the lions look like a playoff worthy team

the raiders probably could have swept us if not for shanny's timeout

we probably shouldn't have let kubiak go, and he proved why

I have no idea why we kept on punting and kicking off to devin hester.

I think we just need more of that inspirational hitting leadership that both steve atwater and al wilson provided, but unlike you I don't think the cupboard is as bear as you say it is.

crush'em
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
first we need to think about the future and draft an OT such as.

The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.*
The buzz: The Broncos offensive line must improve for QB Jay Cutler to take the next step as an NFL starter.

If you watch films of the O line when the broncos went back to back SB's you will see that we dominated the line of scrimmage and we need to get back to that starting now.

We also need a dominating saftey becuase Lynch is Old. our D line needs the crew to be better and I believe they will. sorry our D may have choked a little but Darn if we could have dominated the line of scrimmage on Offence we might have scored more pints.

Basicaly our needs cannot be fixed right away because linemen take time to mold and we need to work on linemen on both sides of the ball.

Just a few thoughts.

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 02:46 PM
i'm not sure if my memory is fading or not, but I remember our super bowl wins that we could run the ball up the middle or to the outside. now it just seems like our best bet is to the outside and maybe 1 or 2 yards up the gut. I'm not saying anyone we have is in the same league as TD, but I don't think any of our lineman are either.

crush'em
01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
you can't blame it on the RB's in denver even though we still ranked top ten in rushing.
I still think our O-line is fading.

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I just think our running attack is getting a bit stale.

And the league has caught up with our zone blocking scheme.

It doesn't help that we are in a transition period on the o-line with lepsis done, hamilton being injured and nalen getting up there in age.

I know it'll never happen but i would love to see jake long protecting cutlers blind side and running over merriman and all those other chargers I am hating more and more.

vabroncos31
01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
tackling on d

va broncos fan1
01-28-2008, 04:07 PM
so how do you suppose we draft to improve our tackling. Is it one guy with the 12th or many?

Dean
01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
you can't blame it on the RB's in denver even though we still ranked top ten in rushing.
I still think our O-line is fading.

With the exception of Lepsis our O-line was either back-ups and/or first year starters for the Broncos at their positions. What did you expect?

broncobuss
01-28-2008, 05:27 PM
I think it is our defense on 3rd down, We did well on 1st and 2nd down for the most part but when we got it to 3rd down we could not stop anyone for the life of us. The play calling on defense on 3rd down always put us in the wrong position, we blitzed when we should have stayed back, we stayed back when we should of blitzed, and it seemed every d play call was the wrong one, didnt mater if it was 3rd and short or 3rd and 22, we would find a way to give up the 1st down. So to me the defensive play calling has to improve 1st. and of course we need to work on stoping the run and our pass defense will take care of the rest.

Dean
01-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I hate to keep harping on the same idea but I think that a true FB would do wonders for our offense in the red zone and in short yardage. If we picked up Hillis or Schmidt, IMO the offense both passing and rushing would get an instant boost. Here is an article from Orange Mane on Schmidt.

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?story=8247

He is the kind of pick I would like to see even though he doesn't have great athleticism. He has a great work ethic and gets the job done.

Ghostdawg
01-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Wins!!!!!!

BroncoKazuki
01-29-2008, 02:23 AM
While Looking at everyone else post I'll add some stuff as well.

Simplistically on the Defensive side adding players looks like the best option to upgrade the whole defense.

Complex version: The Coaching in two years has virtually be turned on its head, with Coyer gone and having 1 year for Bates system to take shape. We all expected a huge jump from the bend to break defense to the 3-4 2 gap 4-3 defense that Bates deploys witch has success everywhere else. Quickly Shanahan saw that Bates could not make his scheme work without ejecting 1/2 of the players there reworking the whole D-line, LB core and Safety positions. That would leave the Offense running on neutral for two to three seasons. Something I doubt Shanny would like to see.

With that being said and having Bates system being scrapped for the tested Bend dont Break system witch looked more like Break down system leaves me to question the stablity of the Defensive Coaching and its effects on its players. The impact and implications became apparent thought some games that the confusion and down right mis-mangement of everything on the defensive side lead to our poor play.

Defensively upgrades to be looked at are DT OLB and SS witch can be addressed in the 4th and 5th rounds. In 2009 these can also be addressed in the 1st and 2nd rounds as the prospects are far better to look at.

Simplistic version of the Offense: Offensive Line, Run game and WR need to be added.

Complex version: With Helmdingers departure leaves a huge gap at OC, as well as Shanahan not having a true Running Back that he will need to finally pull all the stops out on his play book. As people love to speculate if Kubes would do a good job if he was here, i doubt as Kubes plays call for a mobile QB(as i think of as a quasai-RB that can throw) would have helped our red zone play. Maybe Kubes would adjust for Cutler but as I saw in the Texans game Kubiak's Play book relies on a QB who can run and pass decently on the run. Something that Cutler doesn't fit the mold of the run and throw QB, He can do it but Jay has more ability to nail targets if he can sit back, step up and sling it.

With that being said, some analysis think we'll shy away from the run first west coast style defense that Denver deploys. Witch means we get rid of the undersized Linemen and give Jay more of a sturdy Pocket type Offensive line. While that would be a great plus it will also take time up to 2-3 years to get that line while having them gel together.

We still need that linemen but it can be addressed in the 2nd and maybe 4th rounds, offensive line coaching must improve and Harris has to show he belongs as a starter but i would get a veteran LT to play behind him. (as his religious fasting will effect the first few games he plays)

When it comes down to it all Walker and Henry are good as done in Denver, Shanny would love to pair Jay up with a number 2 WR and a RB who can really open up the book. People forget Running Backs add to the QB's number by taking pressure off, Case in point Brett Farve compare his numbers this year to those last year and you'll see a drop in INTs. Give an RB to Jay and those Ints will drop by half, while TD's may improve. Henry may become an FB option but I really hope he's gone.

Overall, for the Broncos to come back to being solid will take close to 2 if not 3 years to be complete. This year would be the best time to get a top knoch RB, good WR and a OT who can play both the Guard position as well as Tackle. Then draft some Defensive players to start nursing along that D-line nucleus with some more additions. I say this year we complete the Offensive puzzle and let next year be the final finish on the defensive side.

va broncos fan1
01-29-2008, 04:58 AM
so if you are saying we are so far off from being good why not trade what we have to to ensure that we get jake long and start solidifying our offensive line. If we not good this year then we can continue with our needs in the draft next year.