View Full Version : Henry wants back

JoRo
01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sitemap/ci_8104423

Henry aims to make good for Broncos
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 01/29/2008 01:35:13 AM MST

Travis Henry (Post file)Travis Henry spent the first month of the offseason stewing about the past season and thinking of a way to make it up to the Broncos, who must decide whether to keep him or cut him. Henry made his choice clear Monday.

"I want to make it right to the Broncos, the fans and myself," he said. "I want to be a Bronco and make it all right. I don't want to be anywhere else. I owe those people something for all that happened last year. I want to clear my name there. I'm so hungry to do right there."

What bothers Henry most about his first season in Denver and seventh in the league was that it all started so well before imploding. After the first four games, Henry led the NFL in rushing and looked the part of the tailback the Broncos made a priority in free agency and spent $22.5 million over five years to obtain.
Then in early October, word of an alleged positive drug test broke and Henry faced a possible one-year suspension. He filed a lawsuit against the NFL over the test, and after a 54-day saga, Henry won an NFL appeal to keep playing. However, Henry suffered a series of knee and rib injuries that ruined his season. In the final 12 games of the season, Henry missed four games and didn't have more than 65 yards in a single game. He didn't have a carry in the season finale against Minnesota.

"It was my toughest season," Henry said. "It was a big distraction for everyone, and then I started getting hurt. It was just a bad season all around."

Henry said he felt pressure in August when a lawsuit was filed against him in Georgia for child support. The suit disclosed that Henry had fathered nine children by nine women.

"All this stuff about my kids came out, and that hurt," Henry said. "I just want to forget about this season and be the best I can be for the Denver Broncos. I really want to make it work for the Broncos. I love that system and that history, and I know I can do well there. I just want that chance."

The Broncos owe Henry $6 million in option bonus money, and the team has had preliminary talks with his agent about the future. While there is a chance Henry could be a salary cap casualty in the next month, the team would like to keep him because he is a bruising back, and he would complement the faster, younger but injury-prone Selvin Young. Henry said he is keeping out of the financial affairs, but it is clear he wants to return.

"I'm already back in Denver working out," Henry said.

Bill Williamson: 303-954-1262 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com

If he takes the paycut and we keep him there goes a back in the draft right?

Personally I wouldn't mind just dumping him. I didn't like signing him and don't anymore. But it would save us a position we would need to address at least this offseason (granted this draft is so stock full it may be a good draft to address the position)

Schism
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
If we bring Henry back then a first day RB selection is out the window I would imagine.

I still look for us to bring in someone early on Day 2 even if we do keep Henry though, unless there's a big run on RB's in the 2nd or 3rd round then the BPA figures to be a RB at some point on Day 2.

lancane
01-29-2008, 09:56 AM
If we bring Henry back then a first day RB selection is out the window I would imagine.

I still look for us to bring in someone early on Day 2 even if we do keep Henry though, unless there's a big run on RB's in the 2nd or 3rd round then the BPA figures to be a RB at some point on Day 2.

I do not think his apology will go as far as some fans think...he said the same crap when he first was signed by Denver, that all of it was behind him, and within less then a half a season we had to see his character issues, physical limitations and a supposed drug infraction. And I still do not by his story on that issue either. I do not think it will make a bit of difference, Bowlen I think has pretty much said forthwith that Shanahan better clean up the team.

;)

Schism
01-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Oh I hope you're right of course, no matter what Henry says I think that going into next year with him as our primary RB is taking a huge, and quite frankly stupid, risk. He has so many question marks over him that you have to figure there's an unacceptable percentage chance of at least one of them rearing its ugly head, and potentially ruining our season.

I was just making the point that Henry coming back would effect our draft significantly. This being the draft forum and all.

;)

lancane
01-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh I hope you're right of course, no matter what Henry says I think that going into next year with him as our primary RB is taking a huge, and quite frankly stupid, risk. He has so many question marks over him that you have to figure there's an unacceptable percentage chance of at least one of them rearing its ugly head, and potentially ruining our season.

I was just making the point that Henry coming back would effect our draft significantly. This being the draft forum and all.

;)

I have heard that before, but it also depends on the breakdown of his contract...because if I was Shanahan I would keep him on the roster as of right now, if I could...walk into the draft with him, Javon and Foxworth on day one...walk out of day one smiling as we get our halfback cause no one saw it coming, Denver trades down with Detroit and gets the 15th overall pick, gets Mendenhall and Shaun Rogers, then trades Javon Walker and Dominique Foxworth in a series of moves which nets us another latter second round pick!

;)

Could you imagine if we walked out of day one with four actual players? Rashard Mendenhall, Shaun Rogers, Earl Bennett and either Ali Highsmith, Phillip Wheeler, Dre Moore or DuJuan Morgan...the board would go nuts!

LordTrychon
01-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I have heard that before, but it also depends on the breakdown of his contract...because if I was Shanahan I would keep him on the roster as of right now, if I could...walk into the draft with him, Javon and Foxworth on day one...walk out of day one smiling as we get our halfback cause no one saw it coming, Denver trades down with Detroit and gets the 15th overall pick, gets Mendenhall and Shaun Rogers, then trades Javon Walker and Dominique Foxworth in a series of moves which nets us another latter second round pick!

;)

Could you imagine if we walked out of day one with four actual players? Rashard Mendenhall, Shaun Rogers, Earl Bennett and either Ali Highsmith, Phillip Wheeler, Dre Moore or DuJuan Morgan...the board would go nuts!

:laugh: That phrase cracks me up...

And yet...

I remember that being my first thought when I heard on the radio that Denver traded up and picked Cutler. :eek:

AdamantiumBronco
01-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Of course he wants to come back, doesnt want to give up the money. please cut him shanny.

lancane
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
:laugh: That phrase cracks me up...

And yet...

I remember that being my first thought when I heard on the radio that Denver traded up and picked Cutler. :eek:

LMFAO...or Maurice Clarett, I thought the boards were gonna shut down...hahaha. I never thought the replies to that draft pick would be so heavy, then as you said about Cutler. The thing about Cutler though was that it divided the boards, automatically you had the 'Plummer-ites' and the 'Culter-ites' and I am sure we all remember the threads on that!

:cheers:

Astrass
01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Reminds me of saurbrun last year....

LordTrychon
01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
LMFAO...or Maurice Clarett, I thought the boards were gonna shut down...hahaha. I never thought the replies to that draft pick would be so heavy, then as you said about Cutler. The thing about Cutler though was that it divided the boards, automatically you had the 'Plummer-ites' and the 'Culter-ites' and I am sure we all remember the threads on that!

:laugh: I'd tried to repress the whole Clarett deal, dammit Cane!

Reminds me of saurbrun last year....

Good comparison. I think you're right. Shannahan fought to help vindicate Henry's position... and while we obviously would've liked a more productive season... I think he gets a second chance.

JoRo
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't think it will make so much a difference. I was just sayin that he sounds like he WANTS to come back.

If he does I guarentee you it won't be on the contract he is at right now. If he is Shanny went off the deep end.

The Dyna$ty
01-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Let Selvin start and let Henry back him up or just give them split carries, Thunder and Lightning....Henry is obviously too injury prone to carry the whole load so split his time like they did with him his last year in Tenn.

thats if hes willing to take a pay cut.

lancane
01-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Let Selvin start and let Henry back him up or just give them split carries, Thunder and Lightning....Henry is obviously too injury prone to carry the whole load so split his time like they did with him his last year in Tenn.

thats if hes willing to take a pay cut.

Shanahan already said Young can not carry the load, and health issues is something they both have in common. Why risk it? Seriously, I am sorry but if Shanahan gives Henry another chance to be the back in Denver I for one will be disgusted with Shanny...enough is enough, we keep adding these second tier quality backs, the last to at least be somewhat dominant was Anderson, and even then it was evident the system was sliding the wrong way. He will eventually do the thing he would not let happen to Elway happen to Cutler...letting it rest and depend completely on him alone. And what will you all say when Henry and Young are injured again, it was okay because we had the ninth best rushing offense between them? And next year we will not have a shot at one of the top tier backs in the draft, I think there is only three likely to be in that category at that time. But again, if that happens I wonder how many will change their tune around here...just like they did with Plummer, and that is hilarious to me; not because I am anti-Plummer, but because I said the same about him then two seasons later we draft Cutler.

If we keep Henry in my honest opinion he needs to take a huge paycut, and Shanahan should move him to fullback...A) Less wear and gives us a quick second running and receiving option, B) Henry can block well when he wants to, I still am not too damn happy he let Cutler get smacked around though! But if he accepts it, that also stops us from having to draft a fullback, either way we need a running back in one spot or another, and Shanahan does not like to use true fullbacks as he has stated, so why not? He converts 217lbs. backs to fullbacks, Sapp was nothing special...I would not mind Henry earning redemption, but he should not be the franchise back, and who knows...maybe being moved to fullback will fix his career and help us in the long run.

cutlerfan
01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Did you listen to Shanny's post season presser.

Travis will be back. Javon - I just don't know

lancane
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Did you listen to Shanny's post season presser.

Travis will be back. Javon - I just don't know

Nothing was said about Henry being back, more or less it sounded like his career here was done! If anything the Walker issue was more positive IMHO...I do not know how you got he would return, cause Shanahan mentioned TD, true halfbacks, tough runners who can score and how they are game changers and when asked about Henry, he sounded pissed off!

:confused:

lancane
01-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Good comparison. I think you're right. Shannahan fought to help vindicate Henry's position... and while we obviously would've liked a more productive season... I think he gets a second chance.

Repress the Clarett fiasco, you have a better chance to repress the Exon situation in Denver then that mess...lol. Come on, Trychon...that was hilarious, we basically as fans got manhandled with that pick and without the use of vaseline! Hahaha...I wish we had taken another back instead, maybe then we would not have wasted millions on Henry and this discussion would have never have come to be!

;)

Cugel
01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Nothing was said about Henry being back, more or less it sounded like his career here was done! If anything the Walker issue was more positive IMHO...I do not know how you got he would return, cause Shanahan mentioned TD, true halfbacks, tough runners who can score and how they are game changers and when asked about Henry, he sounded pissed off!

:confused:

What he said was to mention that while Henry was healthy before his suspension issues, and injuries took their toll, he was the #1 back in the NFL last year.

Now that's kind of an irrelevant statistic isn't it? Henry was on pace to lead the NFL after 4 games. Then he was fighting suspension and injuries and didn't have a great year.

So, why mention that he started out strong? What good is that?

The answer is that Shanahan wants Henry back. He's looking for things to praise about him, instead of saying "well, he needs to stay healthy."

That tells me that Henry is likely to suit up for the Broncos in 2008. That and the fact that cutting Henry will cause a BIG salary cap hit that Shanahan doesn't need. :laugh:

MHS
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM

i would lose all faith if shanny drafts rashard #1, it will just show that all he is thinking about is offense and that he is just going to try to have a patchwork defense again. If the broncos do draft stewart or mendenhall it will be pointless to watch games. We will score 30 and give up 40 every game.

lancane
01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
i would lose all faith if shanny drafts rashard #1, it will just show that all he is thinking about is offense and that he is just going to try to have a patchwork defense again. If the broncos do draft stewart or mendenhall it will be pointless to watch games. We will score 30 and give up 40 every game.

Opinions vary...especially since even our shotty defense last year gave up only an average of 21 points a game...your argument is moot, cause if we put up 30 points a game, even this past year we would have been 11-5!

;)

lancane
01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
What he said was to mention that while Henry was healthy before his suspension issues, and injuries took their toll, he was the #1 back in the NFL last year.

Now that's kind of an irrelevant statistic isn't it? Henry was on pace to lead the NFL after 4 games. Then he was fighting suspension and injuries and didn't have a great year.

So, why mention that he started out strong? What good is that?

The answer is that Shanahan wants Henry back. He's looking for things to praise about him, instead of saying "well, he needs to stay healthy."

That tells me that Henry is likely to suit up for the Broncos in 2008. That and the fact that cutting Henry will cause a BIG salary cap hit that Shanahan doesn't need. :laugh:

And you forgot to mention that it is the trend with Henry also, that in seven seasons and this is a fact, check if you wish...but in seven seasons he has only managed to stay healthy or away from drug infractions 'once' in that time span, I would say that falls in his favor, if he was a backup! So what he led the lead for four games...whoo, whoo! That really means we should keep him, but just to let you know it would not be the first time he started off good to leave his team holding their johnsons', that is as much a factor then any. So watch Cugel, it will be the same next year...I will guarantee that, want to know why? Because the one season he did actually stay healthy for was his second season in the league, only six damn years ago!

Let's fix the defense, I guarantee our run game will not get us anywhere and next year we can do this all over again!

elwayfan805
01-29-2008, 01:35 PM

me too and the worst part is we could have got marion barber

lancane
01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
me too and the worst part is we could have got marion barber

Yep, then we would have never signed Henry and this argument would not be taking place, as I stated. But right now I will laugh at everyone Pro Henry, because this will happen again next year, and the year after that till Shanahan pulls the trigger and gets us a real halfback, but then again...I still think Henry is a goner, at least as a starter here.

MHS
01-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Opinions vary...especially since even our shotty defense last year gave up only an average of 21 points a game...your argument is moot, cause if we put up 30 points a game, even this past year we would have been 11-5!

;)
by leaving the defense the same we will only regress. Lynch will not play beyond this year seeing how hard it is for him to make up his mind this year. Gold and webster need to be replace sooner rather than later. The defense is where all alot of the age is and if the broncos dont bring in top talent now to replace the aging vets in the next 2 years the broncos will be set back another 3 years from being a contender. And the 30 to 40 thing was just me picking randon numbers trying to say that even if we can score we will be outscored every time if we draft offense in the first round.

If you want to bring in stats then you would see that the broncos gave up 26 while only scoring only 20 which gives a modest comparison to how bad our defense really was. We lost by and average of 10 points and were outscored by a total of 150 points in our losses. It will be much easier to fix the defense then by going along thinking we can match the high power afc offenses.

we allowed the lions to put up 44 points, the raider to put up 34 points and the texans 31. To me that doesnt show any type of defense at all not even solid or ok defense. The broncos had no defense last year but if the broncos bring in a few top young rookie defensive prospects at the very least we will have young talent to work with, and not just as backups but as starters next year.

JoRo
01-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I think as I usually tend to be I am fairly neutral on this. I could see why Shanny would keep him, but if he does I really do think it will have to be at a reduced salary...(like I said before if we keep him at his current salary we are nuts)

If we cut him though we save 6 mill in an option bonus I am fairly sure.... I know we take a hit but we save some money too.

I think when he is healthy he is an ok back, but no means do I think he can be a full time #1 typa back without any sort of platoon, or at least it doesn't look that way to me and I wouldn't do it as a coach. I think that IF he stays he will be the "starter" but split the carries with Young (who Shanny seems to really like but stated he won't be able to take that many carries)

If we do cut Henry I am starting to really feel like Mendenhall is the only back we would take in the first (unless McFadden falls but DOUBTFULL) at 12 and say "be the starter" and then only if Shanny falls for him like he said he felt about Maroney. (not us but Shanny) (also... I know this will be argued but Shanny was right on Maroney he is one of the better backs in the league when NE does run the ball...so Shanny can at least be a good judge of talent at RB I think)if he doesn't I think we will take some other sort of "power" back we can platoon with Young later in the draft like say Choice or Forte.

My 2 Cents right now

lancane
01-29-2008, 02:21 PM
by leaving the defense the same we will only regress. Lynch will not play beyond this year seeing how hard it is for him to make up his mind this year. Gold and webster need to be replace sooner rather than later. The defense is where all alot of the age is and if the broncos dont bring in top talent now to replace the aging vets in the next 2 years the broncos will be set back another 3 years from being a contender. And the 30 to 40 thing was just me picking randon numbers trying to say that even if we can score we will be outscored every time if we draft offense in the first round.

If you want to bring in stats then you would see that the broncos gave up 26 while only scoring only 20 which gives a modest comparison to how bad our defense really was. We lost by and average of 10 points and were outscored by a total of 150 points in our losses. It will be much easier to fix the defense then by going along thinking we can match the high power afc offenses.

we allowed the lions to put up 44 points, the raider to put up 34 points and the texans 31. To me that doesnt show any type of defense at all not even solid or ok defense. The broncos had no defense last year but if the broncos bring in a few top young rookie defensive prospects at the very least we will have young talent to work with, and not just as backups but as starters next year.

And how do we win against powerful offenses that even elite defenses could do little against? Huh...then we blame the defense more and not the inability to score? Fact is that you're a defensive fan, I can tell one a mile away...so nothing short of a top ten defense will make you happy, but just so you know the Chargers had the 16th overall defense and a top 5 offensive unit, so how did they whoop us so badly? Because we could not score, our offense though overall yards were okay was one of the worst in the scoring, and yes...I still think the defense needs help, but we can not ignore the offense or we will be right back here again next year...IMHO the best way to fix the defense is a soft step approach, trade the 12th overall pick for the 15th overall pick adding Shaun Rogers, then draft heavy offense on day one HB/WR/OL, then on day two add the best defensive players available, or use another day one pick on a safety or linebacker, but that shows balance, then where ever we are short next year would be priority and we likely would have fewer holes. Just cause the defense let us get lit up now and then does not mean they completely suck, I remember the year we went to the playoffs and to the AFCCG with Plummer, we had a great overall offense and a good overall defense, but we still had games where we were lit up by a superior offense...;)

Dream
01-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Can we not talk about Maurice? Ted's blatant lies and disrespect to the fans regarding the situation makes me want to punch children.

JoRo
01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Can we not talk about Maurice? Ted's blatant lies and disrespect to the fans regarding the situation makes me want to punch children.

and the idea that we passed on Barber due to "medical reasons" makes me want to kick puppies

lancane
01-29-2008, 02:35 PM

Hahaha...I see your not a fan of Ted 'I Lie, and suck at my job' Sundquist either!

;)

lancane
01-29-2008, 02:37 PM
and the idea that we passed on Barber due to "medical reasons" makes me want to kick puppies

LMFAO...do not kick the puppies, kick a cat...they make better whinning noises when kicked...lol. (((Kidding)))

;)

JoRo
01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
LMFAO...do not kick the puppies, kick a cat...they make better whinning noises when kicked...lol. (((Kidding)))

;)

Something tells me we are going to read about Lanc gettin sent to hang with Ron Mexico for kicking cats :P

lancane
01-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Something tells me we are going to read about Lanc gettin sent to hang with Ron Mexico for kicking cats :P

"Ron Mehico is a bad mofo"...lol. Naw, I would rather go hang with Henry so next time he starts smoking the green sticky I can say I was an eye witness...lmao, they can even test me so I can claim that like him it was second hand, maybe Henry should run for president - "I did not inhale it though!" LOL...okay I need to get off Henry, even if he can not stay off women, I have better self control...whoops, did I say that?

;)

MHS
01-29-2008, 03:01 PM
And how do we win against powerful offenses that even elite defenses could do little against? Huh...then we blame the defense more and not the inability to score? Fact is that you're a defensive fan, I can tell one a mile away...so nothing short of a top ten defense will make you happy, but just so you know the Chargers had the 16th overall defense and a top 5 offensive unit, so how did they whoop us so badly? Because we could not score, our offense though overall yards were okay was one of the worst in the scoring, and yes...I still think the defense needs help, but we can not ignore the offense or we will be right back here again next year...IMHO the best way to fix the defense is a soft step approach, trade the 12th overall pick for the 15th overall pick adding Shaun Rogers, then draft heavy offense on day one HB/WR/OL, then on day two add the best defensive players available, or use another day one pick on a safety or linebacker, but that shows balance, then where ever we are short next year would be priority and we likely would have fewer holes. Just cause the defense let us get lit up now and then does not mean they completely suck, I remember the year we went to the playoffs and to the AFCCG with Plummer, we had a great overall offense and a good overall defense, but we still had games where we were lit up by a superior offense...;)
then you dont know me.... im about balance... having a good core of players on both sides with more talent around them. And so your saying we should just let our defense stay horrible and try to make an offense that can keep up with the chargers patriots colts... im sorry that is not going to happen. No one will come close to being able to keep up with the patriots and colts in a shootout. They have two of the best qb's playing the game with the best WR in the game. Us drafting a RB is not going to help our chances of beating them. The only way to beat the colts and patriots is to get pressure on them and smash their offense in the mouth while we still are able to score a good amount of points. Our offense now can move the ball well just needs to work on the redzone offense that has beein a problem for a long time. Fix that then our offense is good and is a few pieces away from great. As for the defense we need to get safties that can cover DT that can stop the run LB's that can tackle. There is alot more problems on defense then on offense and if the defense does not get the players now the broncos have no chance next year. Mendenhall will not help us beat the patriots colts and chargers but a DT that can stop the run can along with a LB that can stop the run and a safety that can help cover and not leave it all to champ and bly can.

fraguela09
01-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Henry should put his money where his mouth is. RESTRUCTURE baby! You get NO BONUS... You did nothing to earn it. If you want to return, then take the pay cut and we'll work out a cheap, incentive-laden contract where we place the carrot in front of the bunny rabbit!

I'm torn on this issue...

(1) It seems this is the year of the running back in this draft. So many talented ones... AND, with our 12th pick... we would have our pick of the litter. Basically, only Mcfadden will be off the table... That leaves Jones, Stewart, Mendenhall!

(2) Henry and Young could be enough for next year. I question their ability to pick up yards in the red zone, or in 3rd/4th and short situations... BUT, game-to-game they could provide enough of a running game to make us happy.

(3) We have so many holes... and only two day one picks. This would allow DEN to go in another direction in the first/second rounds.

(4) Being that this draft is so deep at the RB position. We could draft a RB in the later rounds... Hope for another TD... Use this RB as a KR... Which would allow DEN to Draft a WR, not a WR/PR type.

I think when it's all said and done, Shanny has a tough decision to make. Keep Walker and Henry? LEt one walk (which one). Seems like Henry wants in, while Walker wants out... Both have injury issues. Both are boom or bust. Could really help the offense, or could be on the IR?

BroncoKazuki
01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
then you dont know me.... im about balance... having a good core of players on both sides with more talent around them. And so your saying we should just let our defense stay horrible and try to make an offense that can keep up with the chargers patriots colts... im sorry that is not going to happen. No one will come close to being able to keep up with the patriots and colts in a shootout. They have two of the best qb's playing the game with the best WR in the game. Us drafting a RB is not going to help our chances of beating them. The only way to beat the colts and patriots is to get pressure on them and smash their offense in the mouth while we still are able to score a good amount of points. Our offense now can move the ball well just needs to work on the redzone offense that has beein a problem for a long time. Fix that then our offense is good and is a few pieces away from great. As for the defense we need to get safties that can cover DT that can stop the run LB's that can tackle. There is alot more problems on defense then on offense and if the defense does not get the players now the broncos have no chance next year. Mendenhall will not help us beat the patriots colts and chargers but a DT that can stop the run can along with a LB that can stop the run and a safety that can help cover and not leave it all to champ and bly can.

Top Defenses take time before they become the top teir Defenses. The last top Defense to win a SuperBowl was... uh 2001 I believe and that was the Ravens.

Last year the Colts steamed rolled over one of the Most talented Defenses in the NFL. I see where the best defense got them :coffee:.
While the Bears try to build up their offense their defense will slide, Such is the habits of those who think more of the Defensive side the the offensive side.

Its a proven system that no matter how Big, Strong impenetrable defense, there will always be someone that can Decimate it.

"sir we've been studying the Rebels attack pattern theres a problem."
"A problem in our moment of triumph"
(few seconds later Death Star Blows up)
"Yeahhhoooooo Great Shot Kid thats one in a million!"

The Colts while being still competitive were able to build a strong offense and able to tweak the defense into a strong contender. I cannot see why we cant do the same thing.

It would be foolhearty if we keep thinking we'll find another Davis in the later rounds. I said somewhere before, if we keep taking scrub backs, no matter how well we do on the Defensive side of the ball, with the in-effectiveness of our Offensive run game to score will lead us to keep going into neutral.

Theres a reason why they compare Cutler's Slinger Mentality to Frave's. Also look what a run game did for Farve, it make sure to take pressure off of him so he can work at a steady pace without forcing the ball into problem areas. Even tho both QB's could do it 5 out of 10 those triple coverage shots will end up in Ints.

THis year we fix the Offense, get Depth wise on the defense then next year we fill those final gaps on the Defensive side.

Max Power
01-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Henry should put his money where his mouth is. RESTRUCTURE baby! You get NO BONUS... You did nothing to earn it. If you want to return, then take the pay cut and we'll work out a cheap, incentive-laden contract where we place the carrot in front of the bunny rabbit!

(1) It seems this is the year of the running back in this draft. So many talented ones... AND, with our 12th pick... we would have our pick of the litter. Basically, only Mcfadden will be off the table... That leaves Jones, Stewart, Mendenhall!

(2) Henry and Young could be enough for next year. I question their ability to pick up yards in the red zone, or in 3rd/4th and short situations... BUT, game-to-game they could provide enough of a running game to make us happy.

(3) We have so many holes... and only two day one picks. This would allow DEN to go in another direction in the first/second rounds.

(4) Being that this draft is so deep at the RB position. We could draft a RB in the later rounds... Hope for another TD... Use this RB as a KR... Which would allow DEN to Draft a WR, not a WR/PR type.

I think when it's all said and done, Shanny has a tough decision to make. Keep Walker and Henry? LEt one walk (which one). Seems like Henry wants in, while Walker wants out... Both have injury issues. Both are boom or bust. Could really help the offense, or could be on the IR?

I think I'd lean more towards keeping Henry rather Walker given the choice at this point. Like you pointed out, Henry wants to be here but Javon doesn't. We don't need the potential distraction of Javon holding out in TC demanding a trade, so if he continues to be a problem, get rid of him. Get rid of him before he becomes a major distraction.

BroncoKazuki
01-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Your on the right track with your first thought, We have the pick of the litter with the best RB at number 12 and sliding down to the value of that RB gives us an very good option to get a 3rd round pick as well.

I think we'll keep Henry at a smaller price and tell him, if he wants in then to be a fullback and show that he belongs out there by either carrying the rock with our new RB, lead blocking or pass protection.

I think without a doubt we'll ship off walker and bring in a WR, with Cutler saying he wants someone else. not in those words but by his vouching for his old Receiver in Earl Bennett has sent some ripples that Jay has lost all if not most of his confidence in Javon.

With this years draft being 50/50 (starters and depth) for DT, ILB and Safety. It would be full hearty to pull the trigger at number 12 those positions. As 2009 draft seems more of the Defense latent draft witch will by far eclipse this draft when it comes to DT's ILB and Safety.