PDA

View Full Version : 2008 College All-Star Skills Competition

Max Power
02-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Mike Hart looked good. Jamaal Charles showed some his burst through the obstacle course, while Rashard Mendenhall showed off his huge, muscular arms with the sleeves of his jersey pulled up. Jonathan Stewart and Tashard Choice participated as well. Mendenhall looks unnatural catching the ball, letting the ball come into his body far too often. This was especially apparent in the juggs machine event. Mike Hart looked to have the best hands of all the backs.

lancane
02-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Mike Hart looked good. Jamaal Charles showed some his burst through the obstacle course, while Rashard Mendenhall showed off his huge, muscular arms with the sleeves of his jersey pulled up. Jonathan Stewart and Tashard Choice participated as well. Mendenhall looks unnatural catching the ball, letting the ball come into his body far too often. This was especially apparent in the juggs machine event. Mike Hart looked to have the best hands of all the backs.

That is funny, I heard Mendenhall was impressive catching the ball...

Max Power
02-02-2008, 04:25 PM
That is funny, I heard Mendenhall was impressive catching the ball...

Not really. He had a nice leaping reception from JDB in one event, but in the juggs event, he was dropping a lot of them or body-catching everything else. He sure does have a nice physique though.

lancane
02-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Not really. He had one nice leaping reception from JDB in one event, but in the juggs event, he was dropping a lot of them or body-catching everything else. He sure does have a nice physique though.

Rashard Mendenhall took second place...yeah he really sucked! And the guys at ESPN said he was by far the most intimidating physical back in the competition - plus he was ripped like a beast...lol.

:confused:

Max Power
02-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Rashard Mendenhall took second place...yeah he really sucked! And the guys at ESPN said he was by far the most intimidating physical back in the competition - plus he was ripped like a beast...lol.

:confused:

He took second place, you're right, but in his 2nd attempt he only caught 3 or 4 balls. if you actually watched it, you'll see that he needs to work on catching with his hands. I know you're his groupie and all, but you gotta look at it objectively too.

He'll still be drafted highly, and I already noted his excellent physique.
:coffee:

lancane
02-02-2008, 04:44 PM
He took second place, you're right, but in his 2nd attempt he only caught 3 or 4 balls. if you actually watched it, you'll see that he needs to work on catching with his hands. I know you're his groupie and all, but you gotta look at it objectively too.

He'll still be drafted highly, and I already noted his excellent physique.
:coffee:

I did not get to watch sadly, I only stated what I heard the ESPN guys say about him...one dude, who looks like he is seventeen said he believes that Mendenhall will be the second back taken in the first round...though he looks like he doesn't know much, I happen to agree...lol.

I know you like Hart, but there are way too many flags against drafting him as anything more then a project, and like one other caster said this really will not do much for the draft order besides nudge these backs...so Charles could almost guarantee he is a 2nd Round back, Mendenhall may pull ahead of Stewart and Hart will help push himself into the late 3rd round instead of the 4th round, especially if he does as well at the combine. Sadly I think it may have hurt Tashard Choice the most...you know?

Max Power
02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
I did not get to watch sadly, I only stated what I heard the ESPN guys say about him...one dude, who looks like he is seventeen said he believes that Mendenhall will be the second back taken in the first round...though he looks like he doesn't know much, I happen to agree...lol.

I know you like Hart, but there are way too many flags against drafting him as anything more then a project, and like one other caster said this really will not do much for the draft order besides nudge these backs...so Charles could almost guarantee he is a 2nd Round back, Mendenhall may pull ahead of Stewart and Hart will help push himself into the late 3rd round instead of the 4th round, especially if he does as well at the combine. Sadly I think it may have hurt Tashard Choice the most...you know?

I agree than Mendenhall will be the 2nd back taken. He looks more explosive than Stewart. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if the Broncos draft him, although I have my personal preferences.

I actually don't like Hart that much. I wouldn't even consider drafting him until the 4th round. I just think he has too much tread on the tires and I don't know if he could handle the pounding and be productive.

I think the seventeen year old looking dude you're referring to is Todd McShay. LOL

lancane
02-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I agree than Mendenhall will be the 2nd back taken. He looks more explosive than Stewart. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if the Broncos draft him, although I have my personal preferences.

I actually don't like Hart that much. I wouldn't even consider drafting him until the 4th round. I just think he has too much tread on the tires and I don't know if he could handle the pounding and be productive.

True...but man, you know that competition hurt Choice, and if he wants to pull himself out of the gutter he will have to shine at the combine, but against Hart, Charles, Rice, Slaton and Smith...I mean it is a given for Mendenhall, Stewart, Jones and McFadden to be first round picks, but those guys are fighting to have even a chance to be considered good enough to be a lead back with a franchise...

But when it is all said and done, I think it will fall in this order -

1. McFadden
2. Mendenhall
3. Jones
4. Stewart
5. Charles
6. Johnson
7. Choice
8. Smith
9. Hart
10. Slaton
11. Rice

Max Power
02-02-2008, 04:58 PM
True...but man, you know that competition hurt Choice, and if he wants to pull himself out of the gutter he will have to shine at the combine, but against Hart, Charles, Rice, Slaton and Smith...I mean it is a given for Mendenhall, Stewart, Jones and McFadden to be first round picks, but those guys are fighting to have even a chance to be considered good enough to be a lead back with a franchise...

But when it is all said and done, I think it will fall in this order -

1. McFadden
2. Mendenhall
3. Jones
4. Stewart
5. Charles
6. Johnson
7. Choice
8. Rice
9. Slaton
10. Hart

Yeah, Choice didn't do too well in it. But I wouldn't put too much stock in this little competition. Choice did shine in Mobile and he's probably a guy that shines more on the field as opposed to in the gym.

NagaSadow
02-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Mike Hart really impressed me, he's a lot more talented than I thought. I wouldn't mind having a guy like that on our team at all.

lancane
02-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Mike Hart really impressed me, he's a lot more talented than I thought. I wouldn't mind having a guy like that on our team at all.

He is injury proned, if we did that I would rather just let Young carry the rock!

;)

lancane
02-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, Choice didn't do too well in it. But I wouldn't put too much stock in this little competition. Choice did shine in Mobile and he's probably a guy that shines more on the field as opposed to in the gym.

If you noticed I put him above Hart still, I think the injury issue will kill Hart more then his any lack of skills. Slaton should have returned to school and beefed up, Smith will be hurt by lack of production versus top competition, same for Rice. Jones I think when it is said and done will pass Stewart because of his speed and the fact of competition he has faced, let alone he was not the main back in Arkansas so both facts will help his stock.

Max Power
02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
In other news, Jamaal Charles sounds really unintelligent when he talks.

Joe Flacco showcased his strong arm with long throws of 71 and 74 yards, the best of the group.

Colt Brennan won the accuracy competetion, but his longest throw in the long throw competetion was only 61 yards.

Zanders76
02-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Colt Brennan won the accuracy competetion, but his longest throw in the long throw competetion was only 61 yards.

It was just a bad release. :smug: Both times.:goofy:

Dream
02-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Contrary to what McShay said, scouts don't give a damn about this competition at all. If it meant something, scouts would see that Stewart was dogging it all day long; and dock him accordingly. Like they gave a damn they were there, both players and scouts. It matters "-" <- that much, probably not even that much.

Mendenhall did all right catching the ball, but he lets it hit him in the stomach which is an absolute no-no. This doesn't do much, it's fun to watch, but means nothing. Then again, I don't think that's the best way to measure how people can catch a ball; but eh.

lancane
02-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Contrary to what McShay said, scouts don't give a damn about this competition at all. If it meant something, scouts would see that Stewart was dogging it all day long; and dock him accordingly. Like they gave a damn they were there, both players and scouts. It matters "-" <- that much, probably not even that much.

Mendenhall did all right catching the ball, but he lets it hit him in the stomach which is an absolute no-no. This doesn't do much, it's fun to watch, but means nothing. Then again, I don't think that's the best way to measure how people can catch a ball; but eh.

Like I said Dream I really do not think it will effect their draft stock too much, maybe nudge it a tad. And that is good for Choice, cause if this mattered as much as the Senior Bowl he would have just back tracked the opposite direction in the draft, luckily for him the combine will be the biggest test.