PDA

View Full Version : NEEDS...To get back to the playoffs

GeorgeJr7
02-06-2008, 07:22 AM
I saw every Broncos game last season either from the stands or on my couch and the Broncos need to fill two huge holes on defense to get back to the playoffs. First, the Broncos need an actual middle linebacker. D.J filled in nicely but that is not his natural position and he does not have that intimidation factor like Al Wilson use to bring to the games. Next, we need as safety that can hit. Let's face it, John Lynch was great but he is now a liability when he has to cover the third or fourth receiver. I think if the Broncos address these two positions either in the draft or via free agency we will be back on top of the AFC West in no time.

kratos_godofwar
02-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I saw every Broncos game last season either from the stands or on my couch and the Broncos need to fill two huge holes on defense to get back to the playoffs. First, the Broncos need an actual middle linebacker. D.J filled in nicely but that is not his natural position and he does not have that intimidation factor like Al Wilson use to bring to the games. Next, we need as safety that can hit. Let's face it, John Lynch was great but he is now a liability when he has to cover the third or fourth receiver. I think if the Broncos address these two positions either in the draft or via free agency we will be back on top of the AFC West in no time.

Really, what I saw from DJ was having to play two postions at once. He had to play both LB and DL. He had to fill in gaps because our DL couldn't stop the run. So please, stop with all the DJ bashing. He had probowl numbers and was crippled most of the time because our D couldn't stop anyone's RB. I do agree with saftey.

IBleedOrange17
02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
I think DT is definately a bigger need than LB and DJ has stated he wants to stay at MLB. I too agree with the Safety need though.

GeorgeJr7
02-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I agree DJ is a great linebacker and compared to every other LB besides Shawne Merriman he's probably one of the best in the AFC in my opinion. But his speed and size could is better utilized outside covering tight-ends like Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez that are too big for our corners to cover. Granted the Broncos pass rush hasn't been good since 1999 but finding a great DT that gives 110% every game is "really" hard to find.

kratos_godofwar
02-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree DJ is a great linebacker and compared to every other LB besides Shawne Merriman he's probably one of the best in the AFC in my opinion. But his speed and size could is better utilized outside covering tight-ends like Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez that are too big for our corners to cover. Granted the Broncos pass rush hasn't been good since 1999 but finding a great DT that gives 110% every game is "really" hard to find.
Yes, he could. But when our Defense was dominant, it was because of 1 saftey. Sam Brandon, he single handly shut out the other teams TE's. So if anything, we need a Saftey much like Brandon. A cover saftey who can be both physical and speedy.

SBboundBRONCOS
02-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes, he could. But when our Defense was dominant, it was because of 1 saftey. Sam Brandon, he single handly shut out the other teams TE's. So if anything, we need a Saftey much like Brandon. A cover saftey who can be both physical and speedy.

i think sam might be back this year. i remember we signed him to some agreement that when his rehab was over he would be back in a broncos uniform. im just not sure why we didnt put him on IR:confused:

Zealander
02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm really starting to get angry with everybody insisting DJ needs to move. DJ doesn't need to move, he played very well there last year. If we can bring more pressure up front that will improve his play, and the longer he is in that position the better and more natural his instincts will become.

We can't move him. We have moved him too many times, it would be sort of a slap in the face. Let him stay, let him play... fix the tackles up front.

kratos_godofwar
02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
i think sam might be back this year. i remember we signed him to some agreement that when his rehab was over he would be back in a broncos uniform. im just not sure why we didnt put him on IR:confused:

Yes, I hope we get him back as well. Let's just hope his knee is fully healed and he is still the same cover saftey. Even if he isn't, I want Brandon back as a solid backup.

Bowie Man
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
DJ needs to stay at Mike, I think DT is the biggest need, and I think Safety can be addressed in the later rounds. I've said this before but I would prefer Ellis 1st, Rivers 2nd, and trade down to Detroit and get Mendenhall and Rogers. Or in my dreams, get Mendenhall, Roy Williams, and Pat Simms. Have a scary offense and fix the DT.:salute:

// / yardo
02-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Our defense was one of the worst in the NFL. And it starts because of the guys up front on the defensive line. How many late leads did we give up because we couldn't get pressure on the QB or stop the run?

It's all attributed to the revolving door we have for a defensive line. I don't understand how people don't see that.

I don't care who we have at safety or in the backfield, we're going to get smoked if there is no pressure from the four guys up front. Plain and simple.

Whether we draft or sign a free agent DT, we must get help up front on the defensive line!

Look at the GIANTS. Does anyone really know who their corners or safeties are? I don't. Pretty sure they're mediocre at best but yet they held the most dominant offense in NFL history to 14 points. They were able to do that because of the guys up front that kicked the crap out of Brady.

GeorgeJr7
02-06-2008, 04:22 PM
You definitely have a point with the Giants defensive line, but guys like Strahan and Umenyiora donít come along everyday. I think Marcus Thomas has the potential to be a decent DT but other than him, the revolving Cleveland Browns defensive-line plan has not worked. How about the Broncos switching to a 3-4 defense with Jarvis Moss, Marcus Thomas and Elvis rushing the quarterback?