PDA

View Full Version : RB in first sounds great

Justblaze2729
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
we suck both at defense and offense ...more so the the defense but why not perfect the side of the ball which is closest to becoming an elite weapon... the offense... then at least we would be unstopable on one side of the ball , plus offense wins games and yess defense wins championships but u kinda have to get in the playoffs first to actually contend for a superbowl.......so i says we take a rb wat do u guys think:rockon:

SBboundBRONCOS
02-07-2008, 11:50 AM
sounds good to me:salute:

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
we suck both at defense and offense ...more so the the defense but why not perfect the side of the ball which is closest to becoming an elite weapon... the offense... then at least we would be unstopable on one side of the ball , plus offense wins games and yess defense wins championships but u kinda have to get in the playoffs first to actually contend for a superbowl.......so i says we take a rb wat do u guys think:rockon:

You dont have to spend a 1st round pick to get an elite RB in this draft... especially an elite back in your system.

Kevin Smith would be an All-Pro player for you guys for the price of a 2nd rounder...

Max Power
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
There is some top-notch talent at the position in this draft, and anyone of them could have Marshawn Lynch or maybe even Adrian Peterson-type impacts. I'd be a tough pill to swallow to not take one of them.

Justblaze2729
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
You dont have to spend a 1st round pick to get an elite RB in this draft... especially an elite back in your system.

Kevin Smith would be an All-Pro player for you guys for the price of a 2nd rounder...

well u might be right about that cause we did get portis in the second but we need the one cut and go rbs those work best in our system and that would me mendenhal and he wouldnt drop to the second round

Gr3yStreet
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Im not interested in getting to the playoffs. I want to win championships. I would rather wait a few years and start a dynasty than be flash in the pan like Tampa.

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
well u might be right about that cause we did get portis in the second but we need the one cut and go rbs those work best in our system and that would me mendenhal and he wouldnt drop to the second round

Kevin Smith is one of the ideal RBs in this class for a zone blocking system... with is combo of superior vision, patience, burst, and cutback ability...

SBboundBRONCOS
02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Im not interested in getting to the playoffs. I want to win championships. I would rather wait a few years and start a dynasty than be flash in the pan like Tampa.

yeah who needs the playoffs i say our D will be so good we can just skip the playoffs and go straight to the SB

sounds god to me

lancane
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I would be hard pressed if this was next year's draft to say we should get a halfback, this year it is relatively easy. For one thing this year is the fact we really do not have a shot for defensive talent: River, Balmer, Connor and the other likely prospects for us to get in that round are questionable if they are even worth that pick, and the top 15 picks are usually the most impactful. Next year there will be defensive studs in the first and a lack of offensive talent to really make a difference in that philosophy, you have Tyson Jackson who will likely be the top defensive end but is more a tweener and a plethura of top notch defensive tackles including Al Woods most likely, Sen'Derrick Marks, Fili Miola, DeMarcus Granger, Demonte Bolden, Terrence Taylor and Roy Miller...and those are just the first round graded tackles right now, so someone may shoot up into that impressive group. Next year's linebacker are looking very solid with Cushing, Beckwith, Lee, Maualaga and Laurinaitis all likely going in the first round.

Next year is really the year to go heavy defense in three particular areas, which are defensive tackle, safety and linebackers. Right now next year is looking to be a very thick day one of defensive products...and we can not afford to go Defense, Defense and Defense again in three drafts...

If we trade for Shaun Rogers as I believe we are likely to do, if we get Sam Brandon back and John Lynch and add some depth via free agency to the linebacking corps. We will likely take three or four defensive athletes overall in the draft...but not a whole hell of a lot. And I personally do not believe for a minute that the staff is happy with conditions on either side of the ball. But next year if we need any offensive players on day one...they will be hard to get with all the others who may target those kids, but those who need defensive kids will have the pick of the litter with a draft like that.

I think it would be smarter to go offense on day one this year overall because of the lack therein of defensive top tier talent, on day two and with the depth of second tier defensive talent this year compared to next year which in my opinion may just be the best safety, defensive tackle and linebacker classes in recent memory it is just smarter.

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I would be hard pressed if this was next year's draft to say we should get a halfback, this year it is relatively easy. For one thing this year is the fact we really do not have a shot for defensive talent: River, Balmer, Connor and the other likely prospects for us to get in that round are questionable if they are even worth that pick, and the top 15 picks are usually the most impactful. Next year there will be defensive studs in the first and a lack of offensive talent to really make a difference in that philosophy, you have Tyson Jackson who will likely be the top defensive end but is more a tweener and a plethura of top notch defensive tackles including Al Woods most likely, Sen'Derrick Marks, Fili Miola, DeMarcus Granger, Demonte Bolden, Terrence Taylor and Roy Miller...and those are just the first round graded tackles right now, so someone may shoot up into that impressive group. Next year's linebacker are looking very solid with Cushing, Beckwith, Lee, Maualaga and Laurinaitis all likely going in the first round.

Next year is really the year to go heavy defense in three particular areas, which are defensive tackle, safety and linebackers. Right now next year is looking to be a very thick day one of defensive products...and we can not afford to go Defense, Defense and Defense again in three drafts...

If we trade for Shaun Rogers as I believe we are likely to do, if we get Sam Brandon back and John Lynch and add some depth via free agency to the linebacking corps. We will likely take three or four defensive athletes overall in the draft...but not a whole hell of a lot. And I personally do not believe for a minute that the staff is happy with conditions on either side of the ball. But next year if we need any offensive players on day one...they will be hard to get with all the others who may target those kids, but those who need defensive kids will have the pick of the litter with a draft like that.

I think it would be smarter to go offense on day one this year overall because of the lack therein of defensive top tier talent, on day two and with the depth of second tier defensive talent this year compared to next year which in my opinion may just be the best safety, defensive tackle and linebacker classes in recent memory it is just smarter.

I think Rivers would be a hell of a pick for you guys. He absolutly is worth a top 15 pick...

SBboundBRONCOS
02-07-2008, 12:19 PM

completely agree. this is the year of the RB. i would even be happy with Kevin Smith in the second but i dont think anyone is worth our 1st (minus stewart or mendenhall) then unless we trade back and still im not enamored with any of the round 1 talent on defense.

nobody other than the top 10 stand out and i feel the LB and DT is jsut as good after those first 10 as they are in the 2-3 rounds IMO

lancane
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I think Rivers would be a hell of a pick for you guys. He absolutly is worth a top 15 pick...

That happens to be an opinion of a lot of people, but there are a lot who disagree with that as well, hell Mayock does not have either Rivers or Connor as top 20 athletes available in the draft anymore...Mendenhall made Rivers look like his 'man-whore' in the Rose Bowl, Maualuga was the most impressive linebacker in that unit for the most part, next year he and fellow Trojan Linebacker Brian Cushing will be two solid picks in the first round, not too mention the same can be said for Penn St. who has two top linebackers likely to be drafted on day one in Lee and Sales, I think Rivers and Connors, just like Sims, Balmer and many other defensive athletes are being overrated for compensentory lack of true value. Same could be said for a lot of players in this draft...

stnzed
02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
If Denver can't get Stewart or Mendenhall, I hope they don't draft a RB at all!

The rest of the RB's are not worth it for Denver, they have just as much success with undrafted RB's as they do 2nd rounders.

And don't hold your breath thinking Kevin Smith will be another Clinton Poorti$, he just doesn't have the talent.

I'd rather get another Selvin Young than waste a pick on Matt Forte or Kevin Smith (Mike Anderson and Chris Brown will probably both be available, if that's all you're looking for).

Draft a Franchise RB or don't draft a RB at all......

mx_stiles13
02-07-2008, 01:03 PM

The rest of the RB's are not worth it for Denver, they have just as much success with undrafted RB's as they do 2nd rounders.

And don't hold your breath thinking Kevin Smith will be another Clinton Poorti$, he just doesn't have the talent.

I'd rather get another Selvin Young than waste a pick on Matt Forte or Kevin Smith (Mike Anderson and Chris Brown will probably both be available, if that's all you're looking for).

For once I agree with you :D

Stewart or Mendenhall

lancane
02-07-2008, 01:14 PM

I agree...take Mendenhall, Stewart or Jones: Mendenhall between 12-15, Stewart 16-19 or Jones 16-21, I would take those three over any halfback in this draft, including over McFad'donalds...lol.

:cheers:

Bowie Man
02-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Since the defense is so good next year I'm okay with Mendenhall, other than him I want defense in the first.:salute:

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM

Oh ya? Care to explain that?

stnzed
02-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Oh ya? Care to explain that?

I've seen both play, Smith is no Clinton Poorti$!

Poorti$ was a special back who fell to the 2nd round because of size and the fact that he never was featured in college.

Sorry, no offense, but Smith is not as good. Try not to take it personal.

Btw, save the scouting report on Smith/ZBS theories, I'm just not buying it. Cause if you believe the hype, apparently even my mom can dominate in this system. You're not exactly going out on a limb with your prediction.

Again, no offense.......

Max Power
02-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Even though he's a homer, I'll side with FinNasty on the whole is Kevin Smith legit dilemma. After all, he preached to us about Marshall, and no offense stnzed, but I bet he's seen a lot more of the guy than you have. I'd still prefer either Mendenhall or Stewart in the 1st, but Kevin Smith in the 2nd is just a small step down IMO and not bad consolation.

lancane
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Even though he's a homer, I'll side with FinNasty on the whole is Kevin Smith legit dilemma. After all, he preached to us about Marshall, and no offense stnzed, but I bet he's seen a lot more of the guy than you have. I'd still prefer either Mendenhall or Stewart in the 1st, but Kevin Smith in the 2nd is just a small step down IMO and not bad consolation.

It would be stupid...sorry Fin, and Max. I will explain. The value of Smith in the second is not good, not against the quality of defensive athletes, receivers or offensive linemen available. The second round would be an awful place for Denver to take a running back, not because Smith is bad...I have told Fin there are issues with Smith, but that he is capable of becoming a franchise back, that would be on the coaches if they make him such. But a bigger factor to this is that Mendenhall, Stewart and Jones will be available in a round where alot of choices are questionable...such as Rivers, Balmer, Connors, Phillips, Clady or Williams though one or two of them will end up being better then people guessed, which I believe will be Phillips and Williams...but the value to take a back in the top round is better then when you have the chance at receivers who are thick, offensive lineman, linebackers or even safeties and defensive tackles...seriously I would rather get Carl Nicks, DaJuan Morgan, Earl Bennett, Thomas DeCoud, Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Collins, Ali Highsmith, Xavier Adabi, Erin Henderson or even Trevor Laws in the 2nd Round then take a halfback, not because I do not think it is a need, just one of those others mentioned help a bigger need. Quality is key to this, if quality for a need is not available in the first you fill a semi-need with the BPA and in the next you fill needs with the BPA who fits a need, not fill a need reaching and that is what would happen in the first if we took someone else because of the lack of quality.

stnzed
02-07-2008, 02:35 PM

None taken.

But just because he was right about Marshall (Who cares, btw?) doesn't make his opinion (that Denver would be better off with Smith in the second round than taking a Mendenhall/Stewart in the 1st) any more valid.

Aside from a Keith Rivers comment, Fins only contribution/concern seems to be Kevin Smith......and convincing everybody that Smith is better than he is.

He's about the 8th best RB available, another useless stat machine, not the next Clinton Poorti$.

Even if Denver takes Smith (I'd be shocked if Shanahan took a RB with that many miles on his legs) and he runs for 1200yards, it means nothing to me, they can get that from an undrafted rookie.

He'd be another "Former Bronco RB" before you know it, and Denver would be looking for a RB again.

This is not meant to piss anyone off, it's just reality......

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I've seen both play, Smith is no Clinton Poorti$!

Poorti$ was a special back who fell to the 2nd round because of size and the fact that he never was featured in college.

Sorry, no offense, but Smith is not as good. Try not to take it personal.

Btw, save the scouting report on Smith/ZBS theories, I'm just not buying it. Cause if you believe the hype, apparently even my mom can dominate in this system. You're not exactly going out on a limb with your prediction.

Again, no offense.......

I'm not offended. Its not like Smith is a close family member of mine or something... lol

And I'm not comparing Smith to Portis. I'm saying that Smith is a great back.

And I am talking about how Smith would fit into any ZBS... not just yours. He would look great in Pitt too (although they have absolutly no need for Smith). Smith will be great in any system... but he would be a great fit in a ZBS.

The ZBS requires backs with great patience and vision to spot the cutback lanes that the ZBS provides. Kevin excels at that. And he has the burst to then explode through that cutback lane. Thats where I am going with this.

He has the best vision in his class. Thats what makes him so good.

To say that he doesnt have the talent makes you misinformed. He clearly has the talent, and the only thing that anyone can say that he needs to improve upon is top end speed.

Kevin is going to fall to the 2nd b/c of the level of competition he played. If he played for a big program, I dont doubt that he would be a late 1st rounder...

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
None taken.

But just because he was right about Marshall (Who cares, btw?) doesn't make his opinion (that Denver would be better off with Smith in the second round than taking a Mendenhall/Stewart in the 1st) any more valid.

Aside from a Keith Rivers comment, Fins only contribution/concern seems to be Kevin Smith......and convincing everybody that Smith is better than he is.

He's about the 8th best RB available, another useless stat machine, not the next Clinton Poorti$.

Even if Denver takes Smith (I'd be shocked if Shanahan took a RB with that many miles on his legs) and he runs for 1200yards, it means nothing to me, they can get that from an undrafted rookie.

He'd be another "Former Bronco RB" before you know it, and Denver would be looking for a RB again.

This is not meant to piss anyone off, it's just reality......

Wow... that isnt reality.

Smith is a great back. He is the 4th to 5th RB in this class, pending on how you feel about Felix(personally, I'm not that high on him).

Smith isnt a great back because of his stats. I have never pimped his stats and never will... because they are inflated and meaningless.

He is a great back because of his vision, patience, leg drive, agility, and balance...

And is it that shocking that I talk about Smith a lot? lol. Everyone has their players in the draft that they are really high on (lancane with Mendenhall for example).

I come here to talk about the draft, and the majority of the threads on here are about RBs... so naturally I talk about Smith....

rugbythug
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I think Smith will fall to the 3rd.

The back Denver will pick up is Jamal Charles.

kratos_godofwar
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, but Kevin Smith has the vision to be great. He may not be the fastest, but he can make great moves. I love what Smith has to offer, but I don't think Shanny can pass up Mendenhall.

rugbythug
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but Kevin Smith has the vision to be great. He may not be the fastest, but he can make great moves. I love what Smith has to offer, but I don't think Shanny can pass up Mendenhall.

How many other backs in the first round did you think Shanny could not pass up?

kratos_godofwar
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
How many other backs in the first round did you think Shanny could not pass up?

Just McFadden and Mendenhall. They are the only ones who would make an instant impact on the offense. I like J Stewart, but he would not fit this offense. Jones is bit overrated at the moment. Shanny can pass on the all the first round backs besides those two. But McFadden isn't in reach so there's no point in trying to get McFadden.

fraguela09
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Unless Ellis slips to 12... unless Phillips is SO VERY IMPRESSIVE that Shanny cannot say no...

Broncos need to go RB & LB Day One... NO doubt...

Rivers/Connor and Kevin Smith is fine
Mendenhall/Stewart and Lofton/Goff/Henderson/Mayo is even better.

Denver might be more pragmatic and go OT (Clady/Williams) and DT (Moore/Balmer/Okam)...

BUT, if it were me, I would go RB/LB.

SBboundBRONCOS
02-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Just McFadden and Mendenhall. They are the only ones who would make an instant impact on the offense. I like J Stewart, but he would not fit this offense. Jones is bit overrated at the moment. Shanny can pass on the all the first round backs besides those two. But McFadden isn't in reach so there's no point in trying to get McFadden.

how does stewart not fit this offense, id say he fits it better than mendenhall, but it will all come down to the combine as it usually does

lancane
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
how does stewart not fit this offense, id say he fits it better than mendenhall, but it will all come down to the combine as it usually does

Your CP's are counting on that! ;)

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM

I LOVE Stewart. I think he has the most potential of all the RBs in this class. The kid is going to be a stud.

Dont worry about the combine... Stewart is going to blow up the combine. I think he is really going to make a statement.

Same though with Mendenhall. I am expecting a high 4.3... but if he runs a 4.32... it will definatly make people think harder about Mendenhall...

Right now, I've got the RBs ranked like this...

1. McFadden
2. Stewart
3. Mendenhall
4. Smith
5a. CJohnson
5b. James Davis

Max Power
02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I LOVE Stewart. I think he has the most potential of all the RBs in this class. The kid is going to be a stud.

Dont worry about the combine... Stewart is going to blow up the combine. I think he is really going to make a statement.

Same though with Mendenhall. I am expecting a high 4.3... but if he runs a 4.32... it will definatly make people think harder about Mendenhall...

Right now, I've got the RBs ranked like this...

1. McFadden
2. Stewart
3. Mendenhall
4. Smith
5a. CJohnson
5b. James Davis

James Davis didn't enter.

Here's mine:

1. McFadden
2. Stewart
3. Mendenhall
4. Jamaal Charles
5. Felix Jones
6. Ray Rice
7. Tashard Choice
8. Kevin Smith
9. Chris Johnson
10. Steve Slaton

lancane
02-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Here is mine...

1. McFadden
2. Mendenhall
3. Stewart
4. Jones
5. Choice
6. Rice
7. Smith
8. Charles
9. Slaton
10. Johnson

:cheers:

kratos_godofwar
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM

Don't know, for some reason or another. I just don't think he would make a great running back here in Denver. I like Stewart, but I think he could have a much better career elsewhere.

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
James Davis didn't enter.

Here's mine:

1. McFadden
2. Stewart
3. Mendenhall
4. Jamaal Charles
5. Felix Jones
6. Ray Rice
7. Tashard Choice
8. Kevin Smith
9. Chris Johnson
10. Steve Slaton

Wow, this whole time I had thought Davis had declared... LOL!

And you have Charles very high?

kratos_godofwar
02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
since we are listing RB's we would want.

1. McFadden
2. Mendenhall
3. Stewart
4. Charles
5. Jones
6. Smith
7. Choice
8. Rice
9. Slaton
10. Johnson

The Dyna$ty
02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
People saying Kevin Smith in the 2nd rd but his value is 3-4. it would be better value I agree if this is the plan 1st Kenny Phillips 2nd. Pat Simms Trevor Laws, but honestly i'd still like a LB in the 2nd round like Adibi, Hender, Crable unless we can grab one in the 3rd round but we don't have a 3rd round pick unless we get one in a trade than we could go Geno Hayes, Bruce Davis, or Shawn Crable. Ideally i would go 1 phillips 2. adibi 4. smith only if we get shaun rodgers in a trade. Thats the only situation I see it is alright drafting Smith in the 3rd round round if we grab safety Kenny Phillips.

if we draft a LB and RB why have

1st Keith Rivers 2nd Trevor Laws 4th Kevin Smith 4th Quintin Demps

when you can have

1st Stewart or Mendenhall 2nd. Xavier Adibi or Henderson, Highsmith.:coffee: 3rd (from trade) Eddie Royal 4th. Dre Moore or Frank Okam

if we do want a RB on the first day first round is the best value unless shanny is set on Phillips in the 1st round.

Max Power
02-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow, this whole time I had thought Davis had declared... LOL!

And you have Charles very high?

I like Charles a lot. He is maybe the fastest of the bunch, and had a tremendous season.

FinNasty
02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I like Charles a lot. He is maybe the fastest of the bunch, and had a tremendous season.

I am not that high on Charles. He is fast as hell... but thats about it IMO...