PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft

CTM
02-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I actually posted this mock in another thread but I figured I would just make a new one to see the reaction. This is my first mock draft with putting actual players names in. Obviously alot of my draft has to do with other offseason trades and signings as listed below that havent happened yet. The focus on this draft will be defense so no RB's in the first round. Trust me, I am a little tired of having several mediocre backs instead of one franchise back and I would love to see us draft and hang on to the next Clinton Portis but it wont and shouldnt be this year.

First, sign DT Corey Williams in Free agency. Then we trade our first round pick to the Bucs for their 20th and 52nd. Finally trade Walker to the Eagles for their 3rd rounder.

1st round (from TB)- Dan Connor :rockon:LB Penn State- Very versatile and simply a tackling machine. Holds the records for tackles at Linebacker U. Would help tremendously against the run.

2nd round- Thomas Decoud S Cal- Very athletic and great in coverage could develop into a very solid Safety. Great replacement for Lynch.

2nd round (from TB)- Devin Thomas :rockon:WR Michigan State- Perfect replacement for Walker. 6'2 215 pounds. Doesnt have top tier speed but can still run in the mid 4.4's.

3rd round (from Eagles)- Demario Pressley DT NC State- Even if we do sign Corey Williams it wont hurt to add another body in the middle to keep fresh bodies rotating late in the game.

4th round- Tavares Gooden :rockon:LB Miami- Now I know it seems weird to take a LB here if we already took one in the first round but Gold isnt getting any younger and Gooden would be a perfect replacement eventually. He's very athletic one of the fastest LB in the draft.

4th round(From Washington)- Duane Brown :rockon:OT VT- A solid prospect who will provide valuable competition for Ryan Harris and Eric Pears. Will also add solid depth for the OL.

5th round(From Oakland)- Trae Williams CB South Florida- Very Athletic Corner though a bit undersized. Could be valuable contributor on special teams. Either as a returner or in coverage.

5th Round- Chad Rhinehart OG Northern Iowa- With Ben Hamilton missing most of last season it cant hurt to look for his eventual replacement.

7th round- Brett Kern P Toledo- With Sauerbraun out we should look to draft a Punter to compete for the job.

7th round(From TB)-Chris Horton S UCLA- Very physical though lacks ideal athleticism. Good in run support but may be a better factor in special teams coverage.

As a note. I havent picked a RB because there may be some undrafted guy we can plug in if we need to. If I had to choose a RB it would be in the 4th or 5th round with Matt Forte, reminds me of Mike Anderson.

Bowie Man
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
If we go LB in the 1st I prefer Rivers. I like Earl Bennett and since he went to Vandy he might do better with Cutler. I also like Jordan Dizon since he is a good WILL LB.:salute:

gyldenlove
02-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow, if we are doing that we should trade our 1st round pick to Miami for their 2nd round pick and take Connor with that, then we can trade our 2nd round pick to Minnesota for our old 3rd round pick and use that on Decoud. At least if we did that we wouldn't get laughed at for reaching.

CTM
02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow, if we are doing that we should trade our 1st round pick to Miami for their 2nd round pick and take Connor with that, then we can trade our 2nd round pick to Minnesota for our old 3rd round pick and use that on Decoud. At least if we did that we wouldn't get laughed at for reaching.

There's nothing wrong with reaching a little to fill a need, Last I looked Connor was the 23rd ranked prospect. I wasnt quite sure on Decoud but it seemed like he was a second rounder so maybe I was wrong. There are going to be reaches in every draft just as there will be steals. We will have a much clearer picture of the value of different prospects after the combine.

lancane
02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I actually posted this mock in another thread but I figured I would just make a new one to see the reaction. This is my first mock draft with putting actual players names in. Obviously alot of my draft has to do with other offseason trades and signings as listed below that havent happened yet. The focus on this draft will be defense so no RB's in the first round. Trust me, I am a little tired of having several mediocre backs instead of one franchise back and I would love to see us draft and hang on to the next Clinton Portis but it wont and shouldnt be this year.

First, sign DT Corey Williams in Free agency. Then we trade our first round pick to the Bucs for their 20th and 52nd. Finally trade Walker to the Eagles for their 3rd rounder.

1st round (from TB)- Dan Connor :rockon:LB Penn State- Very versatile and simply a tackling machine. Holds the records for tackles at Linebacker U. Would help tremendously against the run.

2nd round- Thomas Decoud S Cal- Very athletic and great in coverage could develop into a very solid Safety. Great replacement for Lynch.

2nd round (from TB)- Devin Thomas :rockon:WR Michigan State- Perfect replacement for Walker. 6'2 215 pounds. Doesnt have top tier speed but can still run in the mid 4.4's.

3rd round (from Eagles)- Demario Pressley DT NC State- Even if we do sign Corey Williams it wont hurt to add another body in the middle to keep fresh bodies rotating late in the game.

4th round- Tavares Gooden :rockon:LB Miami- Now I know it seems weird to take a LB here if we already took one in the first round but Gold isnt getting any younger and Gooden would be a perfect replacement eventually. He's very athletic one of the fastest LB in the draft.

4th round(From Washington)- Duane Brown :rockon:OT VT- A solid prospect who will provide valuable competition for Ryan Harris and Eric Pears. Will also add solid depth for the OL.

5th round(From Oakland)- Trae Williams CB South Florida- Very Athletic Corner though a bit undersized. Could be valuable contributor on special teams. Either as a returner or in coverage.

5th Round- Chad Rhinehart OG Northern Iowa- With Ben Hamilton missing most of last season it cant hurt to look for his eventual replacement.

7th round- Brett Kern P Toledo- With Sauerbraun out we should look to draft a Punter to compete for the job.

7th round(From TB)-Chris Horton S UCLA- Very physical though lacks ideal athleticism. Good in run support but may be a better factor in special teams coverage.

As a note. I havent picked a RB because there may be some undrafted guy we can plug in if we need to. If I had to choose a RB it would be in the 4th or 5th round with Matt Forte, reminds me of Mike Anderson.

Ouch...sorry but that is a horrid draft, Connor is overrated and that is with him being a reach? It would be better to trade down. DeCoud is a good pick, but we could likely trade down for him especially with Heffney, Morgan and Steltz on the board still. Devin Thomas is from my alma mater, but I would not take him over Earl Bennett, simply for the fact Earl and Cutler are tight. Pressley may slip into the 4th round where I would draft him, I could see us jumping on him in the 3rd round. Gooden is a good athlete but he is not a workout warrior, a lot of people thinks he dissapears during games and worse even during just practice. Duane Brown is a solid pick though in the 4th round. Williams has questions about him, but he is a good pick and I doubt he is available. Rinehart is a questionable pick, he is known to get burned way too often and has not faced the best competition, could be a gem or just a wasted draft pick. Kern is not even the fifth rated punter...no thanks. And Horton in the 7th round could be interesting except the fact most think he really does not play up to his abilities and he is not smart in coverage, could be a fodder pick for the roster.

Overall a very sorry draft...Sorry CTM, but I would give that draft a C- and the two picks which save it are reaches and Duane Brown, other then that, if we drafted this way it would be as mediocre as the drafts before 2005!

CTM
02-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Ouch...sorry but that is a horrid draft, Connor is overrated and that is with him being a reach? It would be better to trade down. DeCoud is a good pick, but we could likely trade down for him especially with Heffney, Morgan and Steltz on the board still. Devin Thomas is from my alma mater, but I would not take him over Earl Bennett, simply for the fact Earl and Cutler are tight. Pressley may slip into the 4th round where I would draft him, I could see us jumping on him in the 3rd round. Gooden is a good athlete but he is not a workout warrior, a lot of people thinks he dissapears during games and worse even during just practice. Duane Brown is a solid pick though in the 4th round. Williams has questions about him, but he is a good pick and I doubt he is available. Rinehart is a questionable pick, he is known to get burned way too often and has not faced the best competition, could be a gem or just a wasted draft pick. Kern is not even the fifth rated punter...no thanks. And Horton in the 7th round could be interesting except the fact most think he really does not play up to his abilities and he is not smart in coverage, could be a fodder pick for the roster.

Overall a very sorry draft...Sorry CTM, but I would give that draft a C- and the two picks which save it are reaches and Duane Brown, other then that, if we drafted this way it would be as mediocre as the drafts before 2005!
OK, I dont think Connor is overrated, would it be a reach at 20 to get him? Probably. Does that mean we shouldnt take him? I dont think so. Alot of people get to caught up with the value of prospects and over look how the player can help the team. Our other option at LB is Keith Rivers but from what it seems Rivers is more athletic but Connor is the better tackler so take your pick there I guess. The later rounds were picks I just saw glancing over projections and I havent really looked that deep in to. The Punter, well your guess is better than mine, the point was we need to get one. But I will stand by my first 6 picks. Again, we can clear up whether they will be reaches after the combine. Judging by your post it seems you want to have a RB in the first round and that could be a posibility, I wont discount that, but we would have to stack up on 2nd and 3rd rounders to fill in the holes for the D. Another LB I like as well is Erin Henderson, that may be the Maryland in me talking, and if we dont go LB in the first he would be a great pick in the second.

lancane
02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
OK, I dont think Connor is overrated, would it be a reach at 20 to get him? Probably. Does that mean we shouldnt take him? I dont think so. Alot of people get to caught up with the value of prospects and over look how the player can help the team. Our other option at LB is Keith Rivers but from what it seems Rivers is more athletic but Connor is the better tackler so take your pick there I guess. The later rounds were picks I just saw glancing over projections and I havent really looked that deep in to. The Punter, well your guess is better than mine, the point was we need to get one. But I will stand by my first 6 picks. Again, we can clear up whether they will be reaches after the combine. Judging by your post it seems you want to have a RB in the first round and that could be a posibility, I wont discount that, but we would have to stack up on 2nd and 3rd rounders to fill in the holes for the D. Another LB I like as well is Erin Henderson, that may be the Maryland in me talking, and if we dont go LB in the first he would be a great pick in the second.

Over reaching is one thing that has killed this organization over the past decade, it has come back to haunt us on many occassions. I for one think someone will be dumb enough to nab at Connor way too early, I am of the opinion he will be long gone before the 20th overall pick cause of that very same thing. Rivers is overrated as well, I would take Wheeler over Connor and Adibi over Rivers, so personally this draft for first round quality linebackers is bunk in my honest opinion, there is a ton of quality backers who will be more valued long-term between the 2nd and 4th round and I do honestly believe that.

But fixing holes in the defense is a need, one thing I have been excited about is the down rating of Kenny Phillips, now I am not saying he will fall into the 2nd Round, but my dream draft would be to trade down to the 15th spot getting Shaun Rogers for the defensive line, I think he would be a force on the defensive line here, then we take Mendenhall. If we could somehow get another 2nd Round pick and Phillips is available with one of those or Morgan, Wheeler or Adibi take him and then Earl Bennett. In the 3rd Round if we get one also add defensively, but we could literally by the fourth round already have the best draft of all the teams. And we still will likely have two picks in the fourth round which could go towards offensive line and defensive line depth, that would give us four to five picks for special teams and overall depth.

;)

broncobuss
02-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I acually think conner will be a good pick, I would love if we got him and especially if we could trade down to get him. but get kevin smith in the 2nd and the rest I could live with,

Momentum
02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Dont worry about some people.. just read the quote in my sig.

That draft is perfect.

Gr3yStreet
02-08-2008, 04:16 PM

I really like this draft except Connor. Not that I dislike Connor, it just seemd like it would be throwing D.J. under the bus, unless Dan plays OLB, and I think I remember him saying he doesnt play outside at the senior bowl.

If D.J. really isnt the answer at Mike, next year has Laurinitas (sp?) and Maualuga (sp?) coming out.

But, that just my opinion. Other than that I think its a fine draft.

CTM
02-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I really like this draft except Connor. Not that I dislike Connor, it just seemd like it would be throwing D.J. under the bus, unless Dan plays OLB, and I think I remember him saying he doesnt play outside at the senior bowl.

If D.J. really isnt the answer at Mike, next year has Laurinitas (sp?) and Maualuga (sp?) coming out.

But, that just my opinion. Other than that I think its a fine draft.

Connor could project to either inside or outside so if DJ solidifies the middle, Connor would be a great compliment on the outside. :cheers:

denver30
02-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Connor could project to either inside or outside so if DJ solidifies the middle, Connor would be a great compliment on the outside. :cheers:

But we would need to trade down considerably to pick up good value with him. Either that, or trade up into the early second round. Connor is slipping and should go in round 2.

BroncoKazuki
02-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Nice FA pick up in Williams but the rest is mostly reaches and this is something the Old GM shanny would do. Over-reach and over extend to have it bite us in the ass.

Too many Draft moves for it be be realistic. Please dont say Anderson i still cant get those nightmares out of my head.:sad:

CTM
02-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Nice FA pick up in Williams but the rest is mostly reaches and this is something the Old GM shanny would do. Over-reach and over extend to have it bite us in the ass.

Too many Draft moves for it be be realistic. Please dont say Anderson i still cant get those nightmares out of my head.:sad:

I dont know why everyone says everything is a reach. Connor is projected as a first rounder and the pick I matched with Tampa is because that could be a team interested in moving up. LB is a need, I think one of our top needs. Look at Arizona last year, they had the fifth pick and took Levi Brown. Everyone said that was a big reach, that Brown shouldve went around picks 10-15, Instead of worrying about getting the correct value they saw that he would be a great contributor and took him at 5. Now he's an anchor on their OL. I only have two trades involving draft picks, not that improbable. If you worry too much about value and over reaching, almost every pick will look bad.

lancane
02-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I dont know why everyone says everything is a reach. Connor is projected as a first rounder and the pick I matched with Tampa is because that could be a team interested in moving up. LB is a need, I think one of our top needs. Look at Arizona last year, they had the fifth pick and took Levi Brown. Everyone said that was a big reach, that Brown shouldve went around picks 10-15, Instead of worrying about getting the correct value they saw that he would be a great contributor and took him at 5. Now he's an anchor on their OL. I only have two trades involving draft picks, not that improbable. If you worry too much about value and over reaching, almost every pick will look bad.

Connor is not even considered that by a majority but by a minority, some question if he is even a first round talent. But even so, all the draftniks as of late are starting to drop both Rivers and Connor on their boards, so infact why spend a first round pick on a player which could in the end be no better then one of the highly touted second round linebacker for lesser money? You like him, maybe others do not...that is the way of the boards. And you have to worry about value always, you do not want to pay a second tier player top dollar if all you are getting is second hand quality, that is how most teams do not stay competetive and I think Wheeler is a much better pick for what we would expect from Connor...and that is just my opinion!

CTM
02-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Connor is not even considered that by a majority but by a minority, some question if he is even a first round talent. But even so, all the draftniks as of late are starting to drop both Rivers and Connor on their boards, so infact why spend a first round pick on a player which could in the end be no better then one of the highly touted second round linebacker for lesser money? You like him, maybe others do not...that is the way of the boards. And you have to worry about value always, you do not want to pay a second tier player top dollar if all you are getting is second hand quality, that is how most teams do not stay competetive and I think Wheeler is a much better pick for what we would expect from Connor...and that is just my opinion!

In most other mock drafts I have seen Connor has gone in the mid 20s. Plus He performed very well at the senior bowl so unless he performs poorly at the combine he should be a consensus first round pick. Thats true this is all opinion based and people are going to have different ideas and different offseason strategies. Obviously ours are different and I can see if you feel different areas have greater needs than Wheeler would be a more valuable pick, the same way I feel about not taking Mendenhal. Obviously he would upgrade the RB position better than Matt Forte but I feel if we pass on Mendenhal the overall team will improve. You feel the same way with Connor, he would certainly upgrade the LB spot but you think the team would be better if we went somewhere else. It all comes down to how you think the overall team can improve and we differ in opinions. Only time will tell if we're correct with our assumptions.:salute: