PDA

View Full Version : Chris Meyers possible LT solution

beastlyskronk
02-13-2008, 06:04 PM
If Tom Nalen returns and he probably will Chris Meyers won't get any better riding the pine. So how many people think that he could make a transition to LT. I think he could make the transition because he has quick feet and he is a very smart player. I wouldn't want him to not play this year because he did great last year. He did better than Nalen did last year.

Anyone else think he could play LT?

stnzed
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm sure he'd be just as good at getting Cutler killed as Harris, if you don't believe me, watch the Lions/Broncos game again......

MindField
02-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm sure he'd be just as good at getting Cutler killed as Harris, if you don't believe me, watch the Lions/Broncos game again......

Chris Myers is best utilized as a serviceable backup at C/G , much like David Diaz-Infante used to be, but he is not an ideal starter at any position, IMO.

stnzed
02-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Chris Myers is best utilized as a serviceable backup at C/G , much like David Diaz-Infante used to be, but he is not an ideal starter at any position, IMO.

That is a perfect role for Myers, you're totally right on that......

Bronco_X3
02-13-2008, 06:38 PM

I disagree Myers will probably be stating in a year a two and can be a starter at any position

stnzed
02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
I disagree Myers will probably be stating in a year a two and can be a starter at any position

But that's only for the Denver Broncos, the only team on the planet that gets it's LT's out of the yellow pages, he wouldn't make any other teams final roster......

lancane
02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Myers is likely to be named the starting center after Nalen leaves...he will not be a starting guard or tackle, he did real well starting instead of Nalen and he was IMHO unimpressive as a starting guard.

MHS
02-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Myers is likely to be named the starting center after Nalen leaves...he will not be a starting guard or tackle, he did real well starting instead of Nalen and he was IMHO unimpressive as a starting guard.

i believe hamilton will start at C when nalen leaves if hamilton can come back. I remember a few years ago when we resigned him that shanny promised he would be the future C.

beastlyskronk
02-13-2008, 07:10 PM
The Detroit game he did bad but not from giving up pressure from the DTs. It was more from not being able to make calls down the line. Also Meyers wasn't strong enough to deal with Rogers and Kuper wasn't quick enough off the snap to do hardly anything with him.

I think he could be like Matt Lepsis in his prime. Both of them were about the same size. Meyers may actually be bigger than Lepsis was. The footwork is there for Meyers. The only thing you could possibly question is his strength but I think it is sufficient enough to make a transition. I'd rather have an inhouse canidate for the starting LT rather than going and getting someone else to battle with Ryan Harris.

As I said I want him to get more playing time also. Last year he did pretty good the only thing that wasn't there was making line calls which will come with more experience. I think he could be a great center for us and he should get as much playing time as possible so he can make those calls when he starts again.

lancane
02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
i believe hamilton will start at C when nalen leaves if hamilton can come back. I remember a few years ago when we resigned him that shanny promised he would be the future C.

Hamilton is a free agent after this year I believe...and I do not see Denver re-signing him at that point, he is a great run blocker, but he is horrid in pass protection and centers need to be balanced and I just do not see him returning.

beastlyskronk
02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Hamilton is a free agent after this year I believe...and I do not see Denver re-signing him at that point, he is a great run blocker, but he is horrid in pass protection and centers need to be balanced and I just do not see him returning.

Yeah and Kuper isn't any good at pass protecting either. So eventually we'll be talking about drafting a guard or better yet a pair of guards.

lancane
02-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah and Kuper isn't any good at pass protecting either. So eventually we'll be talking about drafting a guard or better yet a pair of guards.

That could be very true, I mean I do not know about you...but I am not very impressed with Dennison as our line coach, seems pass protection is something he does not know how to coach all too well. I think that is a huge plus for Myers and Harris, Myers of course is from the balanced Miami attacking offense, Harris was the left tackle for one of the best college quarterbacks during his time in school, I think that may be what hurts some of these top linemen this year is that lack of balance or pass protection. But who knows...hopefull we sign Locklear and that ends the debate for at least the left tackle position!

;)

beastlyskronk
02-13-2008, 07:41 PM
That could be very true, I mean I do not know about you...but I am not very impressed with Dennison as our line coach, seems pass protection is something he does not know how to coach all too well. I think that is a huge plus for Myers and Harris, Myers of course is from the balanced Miami attacking offense, Harris was the left tackle for one of the best college quarterbacks during his time in school, I think that may be what hurts some of these top linemen this year is that lack of balance or pass protection. But who knows...hopefull we sign Locklear and that ends the debate for at least the left tackle position!

;)

I feel the same way about Dennison. Why would they put a former NFL linebacker coaching the o-line? It just doesn't make sense.

MindField
02-13-2008, 07:43 PM

;)

That IS part of the problem, Rick Dennison sucks...he has never developed a O-Lineman, EVER.

The Broncos O-Line, apart from Nalen and Hamilton, has been as much of a revolving door as the D-Line.

They seem to like Montrae Holland, and Chris Kuper did OK at LG. Myers is a good interior O-Line backup, but he is not a starter....not yet anyway, although I could see him at C in the future.

Personally, I thought Holland should have been moved to LG, as he played there at Florida St., and RG is the easiest position to play on the O-Line, so I would have preferred Kuper to play there.

To me, players like Chris Kuper, Erik Pears and Ryan Harris are like Tim Crowder, Stephen Harris, Marcus Thomas and Jarvis Moss....the Broncos future depends on the development of some of these young guys into legit players.

lancane
02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I feel the same way about Dennison. Why would they put a former NFL linebacker coaching the o-line? It just doesn't make sense.

It does not make sense for him to be an offensive coordinator either...so when it comes to sensibility I do have to question some of Shanahan's moves in hiring and internal promotions.

beastlyskronk
02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
It does not make sense for him to be an offensive coordinator either...so when it comes to sensibility I do have to question some of Shanahan's moves in hiring and internal promotions.

I think he put him at OC just so he could still call the offensive plays despite not being very successful outside of his scripted plays.

gyldenlove
02-13-2008, 08:17 PM
I liked Myers next to Nalen. After Nalen went down our interior line did suffer a dropoff in playing level, which is only understandable. Right now it is pointless to talk about who will take over from Nalen. If Hamilton comes back and does well this year, there is a chance he will stay and take over, he knows the system the best of any offensive lineman we have other than Nalen. Myers could get a shot as well, especially if he gets more playing time this year and improves his consistency.

I do think that if we go into the 2009 season with Nalen retired and Hamilton a free agent we will either draft an interior lineman high or go hard in FA to sign a top player.

beastlyskronk
02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
I liked Myers next to Nalen. After Nalen went down our interior line did suffer a dropoff in playing level, which is only understandable. Right now it is pointless to talk about who will take over from Nalen. If Hamilton comes back and does well this year, there is a chance he will stay and take over, he knows the system the best of any offensive lineman we have other than Nalen. Myers could get a shot as well, especially if he gets more playing time this year and improves his consistency.

I do think that if we go into the 2009 season with Nalen retired and Hamilton a free agent we will either draft an interior lineman high or go hard in FA to sign a top player.

Nope Nalen sucked last year. It was obvious he was hurt before he went out for the season. In shotgun formations Nalen was snapping the ball horribly. Also Cutler seems to have better chemistry with Meyers.

Gbt31
02-15-2008, 08:38 AM
If Tom Nalen returns and he probably will Chris Meyers won't get any better riding the pine. So how many people think that he could make a transition to LT. I think he could make the transition because he has quick feet and he is a very smart player. I wouldn't want him to not play this year because he did great last year. He did better than Nalen did last year.

Anyone else think he could play LT?

Pretty sure this was addressed with Mike Shanahans post season press conference...he is a backup guard and center...not a tackle.

Whatever happened to Greg Egslinger?

Max Power
02-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Pretty sure this was addressed with Mike Shanahans post season press conference...he is a backup guard and center...not a tackle.

Whatever happened to Greg Egslinger?

The Browns signed him off our practice squad, then released him, then the Texans picked him up and put him on their practice squad.