PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com Analysis says Stewart compares to Tomlinson and Mendenhall compares to benson

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Rashard Mendenhall.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/combine/headshots/939.jpg
Positives: Has an athletic build with good muscular definition, big biceps, firm midsection and hips, thick thighs and calves...More quick than fast...Has excellent agility and balance through the rush lane...Tough, competitive athlete who has played behind some very average offensive lines, having to create a lot on his own...Instinctive runner with a good feel for the cutback lanes, doing a good job of setting up his moves in attempts to elude...Studies the game and, unlike most running backs, he has a good blue-collar work ethic...Shows good courage challenging bigger defenders and runs with a pitter-patter style...Makes good decisions and precise cuts into the hole, as he moves on the snap with no hesitation...Has good instincts, setting up and using his blocks well and has the vision to avoid and create on the move...Slides through the smallest of creases and knows how to get "skinny" and get through the spaces...Has the vision that lets him see things most backs don't...Can create if the hole is closed, but is best when taking what he can get...Does not dance in the hole, showing good body lean moving forward...Shows a good stiff-arm running with power to bounce off would-be tacklers...Not a burner, but flashes decent "scoot" to get into the second level...Has good quickness with deceptive long speed...Not really elusive, but when he sticks his foot in the ground, he has efficient plant-and-drive agility...His ball security improved in 2007, but he still needs to refine ball distribution...Plays strong, but using him as just a short-yardage back would be wasting his ability to run over second-level defenders, as he has that power to get through the hole...Has a good feel for the passing game with crisp cuts, but is not the type to split wide...Natural hands catcher -- receiver-quality -- and it is rare to see him fight with the ball...Not asked to block much, but is a team-oriented type who has the hip snap and power to block in-line and takes good angles to cut block...When he keeps his pads down (generally does), he uses his balance and leg drive to break through initial tackles...Best when utilized on screens as a receiver rather than have him attack the deep zone.

Negatives: Lacks breakaway speed, but generates good acceleration...Coaches have worked hard to get him to reduce the arm motion used when carrying the ball, as it resulted in costly fumbles in 2006...Has loose hips, but on attempts to redirect, he can be stiff in his lateral movements...Will occasionally take false steps, but he doesn't affect his timing at the point...Has a quick sidestep, but is not really the shiftiest runner you will find...Has a feel for the cutback lanes, but lacks that extra gear and speed to turn the corner consistently at the next level (needs to be a bit more patient waiting for his linemen to pull)...Not much wiggle in his running stride, showing just adequate lateral slide while running and even when at full speed, he is more of a one-cut type (linear runner).

Compares To: CEDRIC BENSON-Chicago...Bears fans might not like reading this comparison, especially since Mendenhall has attained "favorite son" status in the Windy City. Both are well-built runner with thick frames that are best served running between the tackles, as neither has that blazing speed you want in an outside runner. Mendenhall capitalized from his only season as a starter into a future NFL contract, but while he has made marked improvement in 2007, there is work to be done. He knows how to pick and slide, but there are times he will just run right at a defender rather than elude. His ball distribution needs total refinement, as he has a knack for swinging the ball wildly when he runs. Like Benson, that leads to a high amount of costly fumbles. He is a good receiver out of the backfield and relatively durable, having never missed a game due to injuries. While he should be a first-round pick, with strong post-Combine workouts, he still has a big learning curve ahead of him.

Jonathan Stewart.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/combine/headshots/949.jpg
Positives: Has a thick, muscular and solid build with good thigh and calf thickness, good chest development, defined muscles in his arms and shoulders and large, natural hands to secure the pigskin...Has outstanding strength, balance and quickness with no problems finding creases, shifting and running over defenders...Did not use it much when injured, but has adequate change-of-direction agility and an outstanding open-field burst...Does not show great swivel in his hips, but can weave and veer through traffic...Has that extra gear and quick feet to make crisp open-field cuts...Has natural feel, good vision and exceptional intelligence to complement his natural talent, possessing a knack to avoid tacklers in the open field...Plays hard on every play and has more than proven that he is capable of playing with pain that would sideline other runners...Hard to bring down once he clears the line and is not the type to run out of bounds, as he will not hesitate to fight for extra yardage...Won't shy away from contact, whether running with the ball or attacking defensive ends and linebackers as a blocker...Understands the offense and blocking schemes well and can easily digest a complicated playbook...Shows no hesitation attacking inside holes (will pause at times bouncing to the outside), as he has outstanding acceleration clearing trash...Has good quickness on the move and knows when to show his extra burst...Has rare ability to see the cutback lane and holes naturally, showing good savvy and ball security as a runner...Sets up and uses his blocks well and even when he takes the pitch, he knows exactly what he is going to do on his next move...Demonstrates power to break tackles and when he gets a full head of steam, even defensive linemen bounce off of him...Good downhill runner, especially when he slips through and steps over the pile...Physically stout runner who runs with powerful strides, showing great balance squeezing through tight spaces...His strong build allows him to consistently run through arm tackles and he is even stronger when he gets into the secondary...Rarely brought down by the initial tackler, getting lots of yardage after contact...Once he turns the corner, he shifts gears naturally (could not do this when playing with his ankle woes) and shows very good acceleration when taking the pitch...Covers up the ball well getting through traffic (only one fumble in 2007 and five in three seasons)...Has excellent awareness to protect the ball on kickoff returns...Despite his stocky frame, he is an ideal special-teams player who can instantly take the kickoff upfield...Not used much on fancy routes, but he has the speed to challenge the secondary...Fluid and quick through route progression, as he understands coverage and knows where to fit when working underneath...Alert to the blitz and gets into position on screens...Has dependable hands and does not struggle extending for off-target throws (can pluck out-side his frame and adjust)...Has very good toughness as a blocker, whether gaining position to mirror or putting his hat into the opponent...Does a nice job of setting up in pass protection to give the quarterback room to operate.

Negatives: While he has shown the ability to play with pain, he has a long history of ankle problems dating back to 2002 and further medical evaluation is needed...Inconsistent following his blocks on outside runs and takes a moment to recognize that protection developing...Has excellent timed speed, but is not a darting runner with great shake-and-bake moves, preferring to run through tacklers rather than get too fancy with juke moves...Has good change-of-direction agility, but is a bit stiff in his hips, which could be an attempt to compensate for ankle injuries that limited cutting ability...Has good blocking technique, but despite his impressive weight-room strength, he won't stone defenders with a crunching hand punch (more likely to chip with purpose on the opponent rather than try to punish him, but he is very willing to face up)...Has the speed to turn the corner, but is sometimes caught and is more slippery than elusive.

Compares To: LADAINIAN TOMLINSON-San Diego...Tomlinson and Stewart share a rare blend of power and quickness running between the tackles. Stewart has not had that many opportunities as a receiver, but demonstrates good hands to get to the pass outside his frame. He did not show his outside running ability much, more due to his ankle and other injury problems, but there is no question that he can take the ball to the house when he gets past the line of scrimmage. With his special-teams skills, he will get a lot of playing time as a rookie. With Darren McFadden being the darling at this position, teams really need to examine these two before deciding who will be the first tailback taken. McFadden collides with defenders and runs too tall in his stance to avoid injuries and one look at his performance in 2007 and you will see he had fumbling issues. If Stewart's ankles check out, teams should not hesitate to select him over McFadden. Stewart is less of a risk than either of the Razorback runners and, if his legs hold up, he'll be a punisher in the Tomlinson mold. That's hard to beat.

in their combine profiles: http://www.nfl.com/combine/players

Quite honestly this is most on point breakdown ive read of both backs tho I do not agree Mendenhall compares to Benson, but than again I do think Stewart has some LT ability in him.

Ill take Stewart. :fight:
but like I said I just hope shanny drafts one of the elite 3 if the plan isn't to draft Kenny Phillips.

BroncosTX77
02-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Quite honestly this is most on point breakdown ive read of both backs tho I do not agree Mendenhall compares to Benson, but than again I do think Stewart has some LT ability in him.

but like I said I just hope shanny drafts one of the elite 3 if the plan isn't to draft Kenny Phillips.

You need a jacket and umbrella when the Mendenhall camp reads this :cheers:

Great find!

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Jonathan Stewart plays hard on every play and has more than proven that he is capable of playing with pain that would sideline other runners...Hard to bring down once he clears the line and is not the type to run out of bounds, as he will not hesitate to fight for extra yardage...Won't shy away from contact, whether running with the ball or attacking defensive ends and linebackers as a blocker...Understands the offense and blocking schemes well and can easily digest a complicated playbook...Shows no hesitation attacking inside holes (will pause at times bouncing to the outside), as he has outstanding acceleration clearing trash...Has good quickness on the move and knows when to show his extra burst...Has rare ability to see the cutback lane and holes naturally, showing good savvy and ball security as a runner

If you don't wanna read the whole report just read the quoted block especially the highlighted orange part.

Sounds like the perfect fit for our scheme doesn't it. :rockon:

Max Power
02-15-2008, 10:17 AM
If you don't wanna read the whole report just read the quoted block especially the highlighted orange part.

Sounds like the perfect fit for our scheme doesn't it. :rockon:

I like the part where it says he has rare ability to see holes and cutback lanes.

Our kinda runner indeed.

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
I like the part where it says he has rare ability to see holes and cutback lanes.

Our kinda runner indeed.

yupp not to mention he can contribute as a great KR right away if needed kinda like MJD from jax does.

Mendenhall's ball distribution needs total refinement, as he has a knack for swinging the ball wildly when he runs. Like Benson, that leads to a high amount of costly fumbles. While he should be a first-round pick, with strong post-Combine workouts, he still has a big learning curve ahead of him.

Some seem like they have their doubts about Mendenhall.

Max Power
02-15-2008, 10:23 AM
yupp not to mention he can contribute as a great KR right away if needed kinda like MJD from jax does.

All in all sounds like a great pick at #12. :cheers:

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
All in all sounds like a great pick at #12. :cheers:

Yeah heres to hoping hes the pick if it isn't Phillips:cheers:

way to much hating going on about Phillips, I'm sorry but I really don't wanna miss out on Miami's next big time safety even if he isn't the next ST or ER he still has range and speed something our safeties lack, especially with John Lynch about to retire and we got a long shot opposite of him.

Max Power
02-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah heres to hoping hes the pick if it isn't Phillips:cheers:

way to much hating going on about Phillips, I'm sorry but I really don't wanna miss out on Miami's next big time safety even if he isn't the next ST or ER he still has range and speed something our safeties lack, especially with John Lynch about to retire and we got a long shot opposite of him.

I like Phillips but a back like Stewart or Mendenhall would get the ball a lot more often and make much more of an impact.

After reading this thread I am leaning more towards Stewart as my preference.

Max Power
02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
This is like sweet justice for me because I got blasted back in a Mendenhall thread back in December when I argued Stewart is better.

I heard things like Mendenhall is the better fit for our scheme and whatnot.

Which is totally contradictory to what this scouting report says.

None of them even explained how Mendenhall is a better fit. Also, I got criticized when I pointed out that he is basically a one year wonder (which is a FACT).

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 10:55 AM
I like Phillips but a back like Stewart or Mendenhall would get the ball a lot more often and make much more of an impact.

After reading this thread I am leaning more towards Stewart as my preference.

Yeah I guess your right, I wouldn't mind Cutler having his own unique version of a all around back, but we should probably grab a safety in the 4th round or up unless a good FS is there for us in the 2nd round and just wait and see with safety, we don't know what we got with Roderick Rodgers who was a good FS in college, I still see some promise in Abdullah but Lynch is done if he does come back move him to SS and get Abdullah to FS.

heres how I am hoping the draft goes something like this.

R1 Jonathan Stewart RB - Oregon
R2 Xavier Adibi LB - Virginia Tech
R3 (via trade some how) Eddie Royal VT WR or Earl Bennett VANDY WR
R4 Duane Brown OT - Virginia Tech
R4 Frank Okam DT - Texas
R5 Josh Barrett S - Arizona St
R5 Durant Brooks P - Georgia Tech
R7 Anthony Alridge PR/KR- Houston

also hoping in FA we get Boss Bailey for the strong side and trade something for Shaun Rodgers at DT.

bouloux29
02-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I've only seen limited clips of mendenhall, but to me he does compare with benson. He 's a big guy but i rarely see him break away, he seems to lack a real openfield burst. Spot on description of that main difference in the report, since stewart definitely has breakaway speed (can't really do kr without it ) and still has the power.

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
This is like sweet justice for me because I got blasted back in a Mendenhall thread back in December when I argued Stewart is better.

I heard things like Mendenhall is the better fit for our scheme and whatnot.

Which is totally contradictory to what this scouting report says.

None of them even explained how Mendenhall is a better fit. Also, I got criticized when I pointed out that he is basically a one year wonder (which is a FACT).

Don't worry they said the same thing to me I remember posting that picture in your sig when he was a Freshman I had the title as (Broncos RB in 2008) haha hope I am right.

People will make these wild assumptions that Mendenhall is a better fit, and hes faster, shiftier and has more agility and better hands well sorry but thats just not true.

People will also say Stewart is a bowler back like Jerome Bettis, nope thats wrong too.

I couldn't really make a great comparison my last one was MJD mixed with Jamaal Lewis early in his career, and now that I think of it Stewart does run a bit like LT except ill say Stewart will be tougher.

Max Power
02-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Considering Cedric Benson is a bust so far, and LT is a future HOFer, I think the correct choice is obvious.

Broncos724
02-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I think I'm still siding with Mendenhall. Injury concerns are a huge deal; it sounds like Stewart has been dealing with injured ankles for most of his college career. Everyone here knows how chronic injuries can derail a player (TD, Javon Walker). Not only that, but Stewart has more 'mileage' than Mendenhall, since Mendenhall only started for one season (I believe). So it seems like Stewart has a tad more natural ability than Mendenhall, but is by far the riskier pick. That's why I would take Mendenhall.

Of course if Clady is still on the board then I would instantly throw out both of them :heh:

Max Power
02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
I think I'm still siding with Mendenhall. Injury concerns are a huge deal; it sounds like Stewart has been dealing with injured ankles for most of his college career. Everyone here knows how chronic injuries can derail a player (TD, Javon Walker). Not only that, but Stewart has more 'mileage' than Mendenhall, since Mendenhall only started for one season (I believe). So it seems like Stewart has a tad more natural ability than Mendenhall, but is by far the riskier pick. That's why I would take Mendenhall.

Of course if Clady is still on the board then I would instantly throw out both of them :heh:

His ankles are fine. He didn't miss a single game this season.

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh yeah in case you didn't see

"With Darren McFadden being the darling at this position, teams really need to examine these two before deciding who will be the first tailback taken. McFadden collides with defenders and runs too tall in his stance to avoid injuries and one look at his performance in 2007 and you will see he had fumbling issues. If Stewart's ankles check out, teams should not hesitate to select him over McFadden. Stewart is less of a risk than either of the Razorback runners and, if his legs hold up, he'll be a punisher in the Tomlinson mold. That's hard to beat."

kthxbai
02-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Considering Cedric Benson is a bust so far, and LT is a future HOFer, I think the correct choice is obvious.

???

They're just comparisons, that's it. Anyone can make comparisons to this and that, but that wouldn't really matter if he doesn't perform on the field.

You guys are taking this comparison thing way too seriously.

lancane
02-15-2008, 12:45 PM

Talk about B.S. opinions...lol. Funny is it not Mayock who does the NFL analytical work for the NFL, I happen to think someone else wrote this, probably an understudy maybe! I think I will stick with what Jason Bryant, Matt Mayock and others said about him...

Thanks for the laugh Dynasty! :cheers:

Max Power
02-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Talk about B.S. opinions...lol. Funny is it not Mayock who does the NFL analytical work for the NFL, I happen to think someone else wrote this, probably an understudy maybe! I think I will stick with what Jason Bryant, Matt Mayock and others said about him...

riiiiiiight...

I guess that detailed scouting report on both players were complete and utter B.S. :rolleyes:

nfl.com is hardly a reliable source :rolleyes:

Dream
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I actually don't like those comparisons for either players.

KWHIT97
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM

I think that the perfect situation would be to get Travis Henry to re-structure and draft Stewart.
We can kinda rotate them early on and let Stewart learn the offense, by midseason he will take that job and run with it.
I know all of you Selvin Young lovers will disagree with this but he will get some carries as well and can return kickoffs, Henry will only be around for one more year so we may as well get the best out of the situation, you can never have too many backs and these 3 would be unbelievable!
Bottom line, Henry will get hurt, and when he does, I would rather be STUCK with a talent like Stewart than Young, just my opinion!!!

Max Power
02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
oh, and seeing as how Mike Mayock is a draft analyzing GOD who has never been wrong, anything anyone else says is totally irrelevant. :rolleyes:

lancane
02-15-2008, 01:03 PM
riiiiiiight...

I guess that detailed scouting report on both players were complete and utter B.S. :rolleyes:

nfl.com is hardly a reliable source :rolleyes:

The two guys I just mentioned are two of the most respected analysts of Collegiate talent in the country; Jason Bryant who I know all too well and respect his opinion a hell of a lot more then any coach in the NFL was one who called Thomlinson a phenom coming out of College and said Peterson would be an elite tailback, excuse me but when he tells me that Mendenhall reminds him of Thomlinson and Stewart reminds him of Taylor I happen to agree. But we will see, just cause I do not agree with the NFL website who pays Mayock for his collegiate analysis, who I highly respect and they have some flake write an article comparing these two which basically goes against what some of the best in the business say about them...yeah I will tend to believe those who have long ago and continued to earn their stripes.

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
The two guys I just mentioned are two of the most respected analysts of Collegiate talent in the country; Jason Bryant who I know all too well and respect his opinion a hell of a lot more then any coach in the NFL was one who called Thomlinson a phenom coming out of College and said Peterson would be an elite tailback, excuse me but when he tells me that Mendenhall reminds him of Thomlinson and Stewart reminds him of Taylor I happen to agree. But we will see, just cause I do not agree with the NFL website who pays Mayock for his collegiate analysis, who I highly respect and they have some flake write an article comparing these two which basically goes against what some of the best in the business say about them...yeah I will tend to believe those who have long ago and continued to earn their stripes.

look at the scouting report it is dead on.

trust me like I been stating for awhile, Jonathan Stewart is about to start getting noticed especially at the combine, people are going to recognize what kind of talent he is.

Hes a safer pick than McFadden and Mendenhall

I just hope he lasts until 12.

ReleaseTheBeast7
02-15-2008, 01:24 PM
If we are going to draft a RB in the first, please let it be Stewart

natejimenez
02-15-2008, 01:36 PM
He has the same if not better speed than TD and he is 20 lbs. bigger!! Why not get that type of running game back?

fraguela09
02-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I think STEWART has the edge b/c of his KR abilities. He led nation 2 years ago! I think, with everything equal, something like that might push him ahead. BUT, I disagree w/ assessment that Mendenhall has no break away speed. I watched him break away against USC (w/ many NFL prospects on D)...

ANYWAY... Looks like our first rounder boils down to:

Sedrick Ellis, Chris Williams, Ryan Clady, Kenny Phillips, Jonathon Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall.

The only one on that list I wouldn't be stoked about is Clady.

lancane
02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
look at the scouting report it is dead on.

trust me like I been stating for awhile, Jonathan Stewart is about to start getting noticed especially at the combine, people are going to recognize what kind of talent he is.

Hes a safer pick than McFadden and Mendenhall

I just hope he lasts until 12.

The scouting report is a farse based on favoritism like all writers, want to know why I like Mendenhall...Jason Bryant went to Oregon and is a huge fan of Stewarts, when he tells me Mendenhall is the better of the two halfbacks and he is head of one of the biggest collegiate talent agencies, I think I will stick with his opinion rather then your own or some NFL flakes who does not compare to the guy they pay for his analytical prowess and basically is saying the opposite...no thank you, I am not going to buy the B.S., no matter how deep it gets! And right now I need a shovel...

:coffee:

megatraun
02-15-2008, 02:02 PM
i am no scout or expert, but based on the highlights i have seen and i know they are just highlights mendenhall seems to have a better burst and better game speed. they are both similiar in build . stewart might do well in the combine as he is known to have better long speed. i would be happy if the broncos drafted one of them and it will be a huge upgrade from henry or young.

This might be blasphemy here, but mendenhall's running style kinda reminds me of TDs. I think that is a better comparision.

Kon
02-15-2008, 02:17 PM
I was going to say in before Lancane.. but he's already here.. :sad:

Seriously I am tired of these threads.. one says Mendenhall is better than McFadden and everyone goes "Mendenhall Mendenhall Mendenhall " and then some scouting profile says Stewart is like LaDanian Tomlinson and everyone starts shouting for Stewart. Just wait until the combine and see what happens before you all change your minds again..

lancane
02-15-2008, 02:22 PM
oh, and seeing as how Mike Mayock is a draft analyzing GOD who has never been wrong, anything anyone else says is totally irrelevant. :rolleyes:

Also just to let you know Max, Stewart only faced one top ten rushing defense this season...only one which is the very same team Mendenhall ran all over during the Rose Bowl; Stewart had 124 all purpose yards against USC...Mendenhall had 214 all purpose yards against that same exact defensive unit, Mendenhall faced three of the top ten defensive rushing defenses in the country, something neither Stewart or McFadden can claim! He had more a better YPC average then both of them, and though he ran for less yardage then either of the other two he had more touchdowns, a better TD to carry ratio then either of the two usually scoring on about every ten carries which is best in the NCAA this past season and he was a bigger receiving threat then either of the other two nearly having double then both Stewart and McFadden! There is a reason he was the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, and it sure in the hell was not because he faced weak defenses...

Stewart is still a top shelf back, but I have to agree with the opinions of two analysts, one of whom is a scout I highly respect and call a dear friend, I would take Mendenhall over McFadden and Stewart, and I would take Stewart over McFadden.

;)

BroncosTX77
02-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Not going to get in this retarded debate, but I just want to point out that Mendenhall's last game was November 17 and he did not have to play again until January 1st. Which means he had 6 weeks to heal any bumps and bruises and time to relax and Illinois had 6 weeks to break down all of USC's film to find a weakness. Stewart Did not. Stewart had 289 total yards in his bowl game after a month off .......

That is all.

:salute:

kratos_godofwar
02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Can we just say that we agree that both Mendenhall and Stewart will be great backs if they are in Denver and should not matter which one Denver takes. I'd take Mendenhall before Stewart, but that does not mean Stewart isn't great either. Only difference is that one played for a different school and has different numbers. They both are very similar, but have their differences.

Stop all the hating and just hope that Shanny at least drafts one of them. Draft Day can not get here soon enough.

lancane
02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Not going to get in this retarded debate, but I just want to point out that Mendenhall's last game was November 17 and he did not have to play again until January 1st. Which means he had 6 weeks to heal any bumps and bruises and time to relax and Illinois had 6 weeks to break down all of USC's film to find a weakness. Stewart Did not. Stewart had 289 total yards in his bowl game after a month off .......

That is all.

His bowl game though was against the 34th overall rushing defense in the country...though still impressive I will admit. If we do not get Mendenhall, I would take Stewart next to him...so it is not that I am against him at all, he will be a solid franchise halfback, I just personally believe Mendenhall will be an NFL elite, and Stewart could be as well. I just prefer one to the other, but like I said I would take both over McFadden any day of the week. McFadden is very overrated IMHO...hell I would take Smith over McFadden.

WCOfan
02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
from watching Stewart play I never saw speed? Was this just me, I mean Mendenhall seemed much faster?

lancane
02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
from watching Stewart play I never saw speed? Was this just me, I mean Mendenhall seemed much faster?

I think their speed will be comparable, Mendenhall may take a slight .1 second advantage, but Mendenhall I feel is quicker and has better burst, but that does not mean that Stewart is slow, he has some good overall speed himself, I think Mendenhall is a more elusive and well rounded tailback. Where Stewart is more powerful...so Mendenhall has a slight edge IMHO.

Max Power
02-15-2008, 04:58 PM

He has all the speed you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLS6C0HKrMc&feature=related

lancane
02-15-2008, 05:09 PM
He has all the speed you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLS6C0HKrMc&feature=related

Quit posting video Max, speed can not be measured by video feed...lol. As I stated I believe both have good speed and Mendenhall may have that slight .1, or .2 second advantage. They both have a solid egde in certain categories Stewart in strength and Mendenhall in quickness and elusiveness. But other then those edges I think they are very close in some measurements...I think Mendenhall has better burst and vision, and thus I think he will be a better tailback, but I will not take away from Stewart, one thing they both share and Kevin Smith has is game speed, they raise it up a notch when need and play hard and fast.

;)

axx
02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Honestly is this guy comparing Mendenhall to Benson purely based on speed? Surely Benson is not faster then Mendenhall? The only think imo that is going to set these two RB apart is their 40times in the combine.

BroncoKazuki
02-15-2008, 05:11 PM
why play favorites.

Just hope to god Shanny takes either of them and whoever we get Mendenhall or Stewart would be a overall upgrade over the backs we have right now.

That should be the staple.

But... since people wanna dabble.

What state is Shanny From.... Illinois
what kind of players have we drafted mostly SEC (very little Pac 10)

so who may tend to be the front runner on the RB list... Rashard Mendenhall but then again things are pointing more to Mendenhall that are the higher front runner on his list but im sure Stewart is a hot tie in on 2nd place :cheers:

Max Power
02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Quit posting video Max, speed can not be measured by video feed...lol. As I stated I believe both have good speed and Mendenhall may have that slight .1, or .2 second advantage. They both have a solid egde in certain categories Stewart in strength and Mendenhall in quickness and elusiveness. But other then those edges I think they are very close in some measurements...I think Mendenhall has better burst and vision, and thus I think he will be a better tailback, but I will not take away from Stewart, one thing they both share and Kevin Smith has is game speed, they raise it up a notch when need and play hard and fast.

;)

I was merely showing WCOfan that Stewart has speed, don't get your knickers in a twist.

ging
02-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Has excellent agility and balance through the rush lane...Tough, competitive athlete who has played behind some very average offensive lines. Instinctive runner with a good feel for the cutback lanes...Studies the game and, unlike most running backs, he has a good blue-collar work ethic...Makes good decisions and precise cuts into the hole, Slides through the smallest of creases and knows how to get "skinny" and get through the spaces...Has the vision that lets him see things most backs don't...Can create if the hole is closed...Does not dance in the hole, showing good body lean moving forward...Shows a good stiff-arm running with power to bounce off would-be tacklers...Plays strong, but using him as just a short-yardage back would be wasting his ability to run over second-level defenders, as he has that power to get through the hole...Not asked to block much, but is a team-oriented type who has the hip snap and power to block in-line and takes good angles to cut block...he uses his balance and leg drive to break through initial tackles...

sounds exactly like the type of back denver looks for. Also sounds like he has the type of character that this denver team needs.

lancane
02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I was merely showing WCOfan that Stewart has speed, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Knickers...when did you turn Brit on us mate? Hahaha...;)

Gr3yStreet
02-15-2008, 06:31 PM
why play favorites.

Just hope to god Shanny takes either of them and whoever we get Mendenhall or Stewart would be a overall upgrade over the backs we have right now.

That should be the staple.

But... since people wanna dabble.

What state is Shanny From.... Illinois
what kind of players have we drafted mostly SEC (very little Pac 10)

so who may tend to be the front runner on the RB list... Rashard Mendenhall but then again things are pointing more to Mendenhall that are the higher front runner on his list but im sure Stewart is a hot tie in on 2nd place :cheers:

I wouldnt exactly say our team in bursting at the seems with Big 10 players either.

lancane
02-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I wouldnt exactly say our team in bursting at the seems with Big 10 players either.

No and I know what Kaz was trying to point out...Turner our running back coach is a huge Big Ten fan, plus he has coached teams in the Big Ten as has Shanahan...and Shanahan is from Illinois and keeps alot of his ties in the state close...the assisstant athletic director of Illinois and Shanahan are both graduates of Eastern Illinois University, plus Ron Zook is the former head coach of the University of Florida and a friend to Mike Shanahan, Zook also coached at Ohio State which coach Bobby Turner also coached at...even then if Shanahan wanted to scout outside of the box, he has contacts in several Big Ten schools, including Minnesota who faced Illinois this season.

The key factor besides Zook and Shanahan is Bobby Turner being a fan of the Big Ten, if he is anamored with Mendenhall it will carry a lot of weight with Shanahan.

stnzed
02-15-2008, 06:47 PM
......The Big Ten has the Immortal Rich Rodriguez now! Ya!......

lancane
02-15-2008, 06:51 PM
......The Big Ten has the Immortal Rich Rodriguez now! Ya!......

Hahaha...:D

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 09:19 PM
The scouting report is a farse based on favoritism like all writers, want to know why I like Mendenhall...Jason Bryant went to Oregon and is a huge fan of Stewarts, when he tells me Mendenhall is the better of the two halfbacks and he is head of one of the biggest collegiate talent agencies, I think I will stick with his opinion rather then your own or some NFL flakes who does not compare to the guy they pay for his analytical prowess and basically is saying the opposite...no thank you, I am not going to buy the B.S., no matter how deep it gets! And right now I need a shovel...

:coffee:

The writer is from NFLScout.com and he was obviously good at what he did to be picked over mayock to write analysis for each player, theres no favoritism at all he did a write up for every player going to the combine, most of it is spot on too, but you can't see that because your convinced Mendenhall will be a better fit in Denver, when ive been saying all along that Stewart would be the best fit for our system.

honestly I don't care if some guy thinks Mendenhall is better than Stewart even if he is a fan of Oregon, he could be the best scout in the world too I don't care unless you show me some write ups where he list facts and I want to see hard in depth details, I want to know reasons why so far everything I know about Stewart was listed in this analysis, everything else I read was pretty much assumptions based on his body type and build.

Just face it you could be wrong, over the next month especially after the combine I am sure many scouts including Mayock will shoot Jonathan Stewart into their #1 or #2 RB spot over Mendenhall.

How hard is it to see he is the more complete RB?

Speed, Agility, Power, Quickness, Vision, Hands, and he can return kicks.

would be a perfect weapon for Cutler.

Like I said I guess we will see at the combine, when all the scouts release their analysis.

Momentum
02-15-2008, 09:34 PM
This post is hilarious.

The Dyna$ty
02-15-2008, 09:58 PM
This post is hilarious.

You won't find this post hilarious in a few month down the line when we make the playoffs because of a strong offense and elite rushing attack that can perform in the red zone.:rockon:

MHS
02-15-2008, 10:10 PM
in the words of Momentum, just say no... to a RB in the first round unless ellis phillips and clady or all gone.

lancane
02-15-2008, 10:21 PM
The writer is from NFLScout.com and he was obviously good at what he did to be picked over mayock to write analysis for each player, theres no favoritism at all he did a write up for every player going to the combine, most of it is spot on too, but you can't see that because your convinced Mendenhall will be a better fit in Denver, when ive been saying all along that Stewart would be the best fit for our system.

honestly I don't care if some guy thinks Mendenhall is better than Stewart even if he is a fan of Oregon, he could be the best scout in the world too I don't care unless you show me some write ups where he list facts and I want to see hard in depth details, I want to know reasons why so far everything I know about Stewart was listed in this analysis, everything else I read was pretty much assumptions based on his body type and build.

Just face it you could be wrong, over the next month especially after the combine I am sure many scouts including Mayock will shoot Jonathan Stewart into their #1 or #2 RB spot over Mendenhall.

How hard is it to see he is the more complete RB?

Speed, Agility, Power, Quickness, Vision, Hands, and he can return kicks.

would be a perfect weapon for Cutler.

Like I said I guess we will see at the combine, when all the scouts release their analysis.

Or he drops even farther and ends up a Seattle Seahawk! ;)

lancane
02-15-2008, 10:22 PM
in the words of Momentum, just say no... to a RB in the first round unless ellis phillips and clady or all gone.

How about just say no to Phillips (Reach) and adios to Ellis and Clady because they both will be gone!

:cheers:

MHS
02-15-2008, 11:37 PM
How about just say no to Phillips (Reach) and adios to Ellis and Clady because they both will be gone!

:cheers:

agreed on clady and ellis being gone but a man has to wish..haha as for phillips he may be a reach now but i want to see what he can do in his workouts and interviews ... character is a huge part of why i like players. I am also looking foward to seeing stewart and mendenhall in workouts along with phillip wheeler, jordan dizon, johnathan heffney, and eddie royal... who must be a bronco..haha

Edit: Also Jays buddy earl bennett... he may be worth our second round if he runs between a 4.45-4.5 and with jay putting in a good work should help shanny draft him

Broncosinindy
02-16-2008, 02:50 AM

NFLDRAFTSCOUT is top notch stuff. and probably the best report on either prospect. Mendenhall would help denver but i like stewart better. People are getting the goods on mcfadden now. and it wont take long for them to get it on mendenhall too.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-16-2008, 08:52 AM
For everyone still in the great RB debate, I humbly offer this well written post to remind everyone what the Broncos "real needs" are (props to MUG).

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=111355

There are just too many other needs and too much other talent in the later rounds at RB to spend the #12 overall pick on a RB, no matter how "potentially good" they are. Both Mendenhall and Stewart look impressive, but neither is that much better than guys like Forte, Choice, Hart, Slayton, Smith, etc to throw our top pick at. Neither Mendenhall or Stewart (no matter the comparisons) are the next LT or LJ. Deal with it fellas. They, along with McFadden, appear to be the best available in this class, but that doesn't mean they're going to be the best in the NFL. :coffee:

hardcorebronco
02-16-2008, 09:58 AM
For everyone still in the great RB debate, I humbly offer this well written post to remind everyone what the Broncos "real needs" are (props to MUG).

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=111355

There are just too many other needs and too much other talent in the later rounds at RB to spend the #12 overall pick on a RB, no matter how "potentially good" they are. Both Mendenhall and Stewart look impressive, but neither is that much better than guys like Forte, Choice, Hart, Slayton, Smith, etc to throw our top pick at. Neither Mendenhall or Stewart (no matter the comparisons) are the next LT or LJ. Deal with it fellas. They, along with McFadden, appear to be the best available in this class, but that doesn't mean they're going to be the best in the NFL. :coffee:

That's what we said about using the #11th pick in the draft on a Qb by the name of Jay Cutler... From Vandy??? WHO!?!?!? ;)

I think we are trying to build a core for the next 5 to 10 years, not fill needs heading into just one season. We have a young talented WR, a Future Franchise QB, now its time to get the Franchise RB to round out the three. The rest of the pieces can be added in and around those three. But currently I don't think we have that franchise RB to take some pressure off of Cutler. :coffee::salute:

So I wouldn't complain about drafting either RB at #12. Just so long as that's the one the coaches feel would be better in our system. In fact, I'd be ecstatic.

CJ_5256
02-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Before reading this, I was on the Mendenhall wagon, but I think I'm swayin towards stewart now. He sounds litterally perfect for our system. But I wouldn't be upset if we drafted either of these guys bc I think they're both going to be pretty good

The Dyna$ty
02-16-2008, 12:09 PM
oth Mendenhall and Stewart look impressive, but neither is that much better than guys like Forte, Choice, Hart, Slayton, Smith, etc to throw our top pick at. Neither Mendenhall or Stewart (no matter the comparisons) are the next LT or LJ. Deal with it fellas.

Are you crazy....

Stewart and Mendenhall are miles and I mean miles ahead of Forte, Choice, Hart and Slaton.

Were talking 2 backs with speed and power, great vision, and low mileage.

Its not even close, theres a huge drop off in the RB position after the top 4, and than it goes to Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles, and than after those guys theres another massive drop off.

Bowie Man
02-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Someone(name escapes me) said earlier we have too many other needs to draft an RB. What other talent is there in the 1st? I don't think Shanny will draft an OT, he's said he likes Pears and Harris. We can trade down and fill a need and get a luxury.:salute:

PS I'm fine either way if we get an RB

lancane
02-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Are you crazy....

Stewart and Mendenhall are miles and I mean miles ahead of Forte, Choice, Hart and Slaton.

Were talking 2 backs with speed and power, great vision, and low mileage.

Its not even close, theres a huge drop off in the RB position after the top 4, and than it goes to Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles, and than after those guys theres another massive drop off.

Exactly...Mendenhall and Stewart IMHO will both be better then McFadden and be good to great franchise backs, I prefer Mendenhall...but if we take Stewart by trading down and adding more, well then so be it. At least we got a better back then Travis 'I loves my bong and women' Henry! I am still of the opinion that both of our top picks will be used to add playmakers to the team.

Ravage!!!
02-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Just watching TV.. the analyst here said that he wouldn't touch McFadden in the top 25 pics at all.. and has him rated as the top RB in the draft.

lancane
02-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Just watching TV.. the analyst here said that he wouldn't touch McFadden in the top 25 pics at all.. and has him rated as the top RB in the draft.

Well Mayock said he would not draft McFadden until the twenty-something area but thought he would remain a top ten pick, he believes Mendenhall is a top 15 pick and has him rated as the 12th overall athlete in the draft...

fraguela09
02-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Bucky Brooks at SI.COM:

2. Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois: The Big Ten Player of the Year is the most complete back in the draft. As a tough, inside runner with excellent vision and outstanding quickness, Mendenhall is built to be a workhorse in a power-running offense. But Mendenhall also possesses the hands, speed and route-running ability to be a factor in the passing game.

Offensive coordinators will love the fact that he is a three-down back who is capable of staying on the field in all situations. That versatility will lead some teams to view him as the best running back prospect in this year's draft. If Mendenhall can shake the one-year-wonder label, he may surpass McFadden as the top running back prospect.

3. Jonathan Stewart, Oregon: The former Duck finished 2007 as the Pac-10's leading rusher (1,722) and has all the skills needed to be a feature back in a pro-style offense. His shifty but powerful running style allows him to grind out tough yards between the tackles or excel on the perimeter. And his dazzling open-field running skills will make him an outstanding kick returner and playmaker in the passing game. Stewart is a first-round talent who should be a solid starter early in his career.

fraguela09
02-16-2008, 10:07 PM
SCOUTS INC has updated their Top 32

Mendenhall at 13 (with a 95 grade)

Stewart at 18 (with a 94 grade)

lancane
02-16-2008, 10:26 PM
SCOUTS INC has updated their Top 32

Mendenhall at 13 (with a 95 grade)

Stewart at 18 (with a 94 grade)

Great finds Frag! CP coming...;)

MHS
02-16-2008, 10:53 PM
if the broncos dont trade up to get a guy like ellis or clady... and phillips doesnt prove himeself then a RB is where i would go... or trade down for desean jackson. But i still cant make my mind on which RB i like out of stewart and mendenhall.

x_ts
02-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Has a thick, muscular and solid build with good thigh and calf thickness, good chest development, defined muscles in his arms and shoulders and large, natural hands to secure the pigskin...

That first line had me thinking... what the hell am I reading?:eek:
I mean is that stuff really that important when evaluating a player? Is this a modelling review or is he analyzing stewart?:confused:

stnzed
02-16-2008, 11:20 PM
That first line had me thinking... what the hell am I reading?:eek:
I mean is that stuff really that important when evaluating a player? Is this a modelling review or is he analyzing stewart?:confused:

*shrugs*

Apparently these reasons are enough for Mayock to drop McFadden out of the top20......

BroncosTX77
02-16-2008, 11:26 PM
*shrugs*

Apparently these reasons are enough for Mayock to drop McFadden out of the top20......

Ya because of the '3 game films' he watched of McFadden.....

Now if he watched the other 35 game films then I will take what he has to say with more than a grain of salt.

lancane
02-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Ya because of the '3 game films' he watched of McFadden.....

Now if he watched the other 35 game films then I will take what he has to say with more than a grain of salt.

Likely the same thing...hahaha...I would, he is overrated and I am glad he said it as have a few others now.

stnzed
02-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Likely the same thing...hahaha...I would, he is overrated and I am glad he said it as have a few others now.

Imo, the "Highlights" that Mayock showed to back up his opinion do not reflect fairly on McFadden's career at all.

They are most likely from his JR year when it appeared to me that McFadden was playing not to get hurt.

His soph and frosh seasons he played with an attitude and the balls of a brass monkey.

If you go off of McFadden's JR season alone, he may drop a little bit, but taking his career as a whole, he's a top5 pick......

Momentum
02-17-2008, 12:14 AM
You won't find this post hilarious in a few month down the line when we make the playoffs because of a strong offense and elite rushing attack that can perform in the red zone.:rockon:

Dont get me wrong. I believe Stewart is possibly the real deal, moreso than Mendenhall for sure, its just the fighting in the post is what I chuckle at.

The Dyna$ty
02-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Just Say Yes to Proposition Mendenhall!
Jonathan Stewart is a Chargers Fan!!! So, No thanks..

Lol, no hes not he just uses the chargers in Madden more than any other team because hes nasty on the sticks with LT.

He doesn't really watch the NFL as much as us or follow it you know he catches highlights and stuff, but I remember in High School his team was Dallas he would always talk at the lunch table about how Parcells was going to get them to the SuperBowl lol just a real bias fan who didn't watch the game as much, and hes not a seahawks fan but its the team he wants to go to because hes lived here all his life. Also that reminds me I remember talking to him our senior year in HS I asked him about Denver he said he would love to run in that system, but he thought maybe Denver wouldn't have a shot at him because they never draft a RB in the first round, so yeah he would be shocked in he got picked by us.

but no way is he a Chargers fan

Max Power
02-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Lol, no hes not he just uses the chargers in Madden more than any other team because hes nasty on the sticks with LT.

He doesn't really watch the NFL as much as us or follow it you know he catches highlights and stuff, but I remember in High School his team was Dallas he would always talk at the lunch table about how Parcells was going to get them to the SuperBowl lol just a real bias fan who didn't watch the game as much, and hes not a seahawks fan but its the team he wants to go to because hes lived here all his life. Also that reminds me I remember talking to him our senior year in HS I asked him about Denver he said he would love to run in that system, but he thought maybe Denver wouldn't have a shot at him because they never draft a RB in the first round, so yeah he would be shocked in he got picked by us.

but no way is he a Chargers fan

Even if he is, that has got to be the lamest reason not to draft someone.

Cugel
02-17-2008, 09:30 AM

Our kinda runner indeed.

Well, Mel Kiper agrees with you. He has Stewart going #10 to the Saints! (Don't argue with me, I didn't make that up)! That would be a shocker considering they used the #1 overall pick on Reggie Bush just two years ago)!

They also need DBs and a top CB would be available at that spot. Go figure. :coffee:

But, it's certainly possible that both McFadden & Stewart are gone by #12, along with Ryan Clady, leaving the Broncos to take OT Chris Williams or risk a BIG reach for a WR (DeShaun Jackson), a RB (Mendenhall), a DT (Kentwan Balmer) or S (Kenny Phillips).

The Broncos could use all those players, but not at #12! I would hope they would trade back and pick up a 3rd round pick rather than reach for one of them.

EDIT: This just shows you how badly that meaningless overtime win against the Vikings hurt them. Instead of sitting at #9 with a 6-10 record and having a hope that either Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey would drop, or possibly trading up 2 or 3 places to get one of them, they are at #10 hoping for Ryan Clady. :coffee:

Max Power
02-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, Mel Kiper agrees with you. He has Stewart going #10 to the Saints! (Don't argue with me, I didn't make that up)! That would be a shocker considering they used the #1 overall pick on Reggie Bush just two years ago)!

They also need DBs and a top CB would be available at that spot. Go figure. :coffee:

But, it's certainly possible that both McFadden & Stewart are gone by #12, along with Ryan Clady, leaving the Broncos to take OT Chris Williams or risk a BIG reach for a WR (DeShaun Jackson), a RB (Mendenhall), a DT (Kentwan Balmer) or S (Kenny Phillips).

The Broncos could use all those players, but not at #12! I would hope they would trade back and pick up a 3rd round pick rather than reach for one of them.

Don't forget about a LB (Keith Rivers or Dan Connor).