PDA

View Full Version : What Miami fans say about KP

Gr3yStreet
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey, I thought I would post some of the thought people are giving me about KP on the U boards.

Please note, I REALLY dont want this to turn into an argument about who we should draft. I am simply posting what some people who watched him alot have to say, THATS ALL.

-------
" hard to tell how good KP is because the talent around him was so un-miami like.

POSITIVES: cant remember him being 'burned', even once. very, very few missed tackles, can play all over the field.

NEGATIVES: did not put on ANY significant weight at miami----maybe his fault, maybe his bodies fault, maybe swasey's fault....but will have come in at 190-195 and leave at 195-200 (maybe 205 as he gets 'ready' for the draft).

my family members who are bears fans seem to think that chicago is leaning in KP's direction....and what i have said to them is at least you got a 10 year starter, and the upside is that he is a borderline pro bowl or pro bowl type player.....he is NOT sean taylor.

would draft him ahead of CC without thinking twice about it...because KP is a 'definate' starter. "
-------
" Draft him. You will get what you want. He is no Sean Taylor, but then nobody is. He is consistent. Solid. Very good in coverage and run support. Strong tackler. Overall a very solid prospect.
-------
The best thing about him is probably that you know what you are going to get. The opposite of a boom/bust prospect. A safe pick. Although he may just have some untapped big-play potential if surrounded by more talent. "
-------
" I think KP would be solid choice for a mid-first round pick. He's great in run support. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to see if he has consistent big-play ability since a lot of his energy was focused in run support and being a safe support system for our young and not-so-good DBs."
-----
You know... DJ Williams never really impressed me while at UM. Don't get me wrong, the guy was a great UM player. But compared to the hype he had coming in; I was somewhat underwhelmed by DJ's college career. Now look at him. STUD in the NFL.

I hope KP can have the same type of transformation because the kid has awesome talent and a great head on his shoulders, just like DJ."
-------

Ill post more as they come!

Max Power
02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Seems like most of them have a balanced and objective view despite the fact they are Miami fans. That's good to see.

Really puts it into perspective, unlike people who keep saying he's no Sean Taylor or Ed Reed and that the '09 safety class will be much better. Blah blah blah blah blah.

Ask them whether he is better at FS or SS.

D.J.55
02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
that was a great read. thanks.

Gr3yStreet
02-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Seems like most of them have a balanced and objective view despite the fact they are Miami fans. That's good to see.

Really puts it into perspective, unlike people who keep saying he's no Sean Taylor or Ed Reed and that the '09 safety class will be much better. Blah blah blah blah blah.

Ask them whether he is better at FS or SS.

The general feeling seems to be FS. While he has the skilled to play SS, they think that at 200 lbs he might wear down tearin it up in a run support role in the NFL on every down.

Gbt31
02-16-2008, 04:44 AM
I'm telling you, trade Foxworth and our second to move up to the first 3 or 5 spots in the second to make sure we get kenny Phillips, unless of course he blows up during combine.....he probally will.

Gr3yStreet
02-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Heres some More!

------
" in the NFL, i am gonna say free safety....i am not sure i want him mixing it up too much at 200 pounds.

from the free spot he will be a good tackler. ONE thing i am very, very curious about is his 40 time. not that it really matters in his case, but it will be interesting to me....i am gonna say something like 4.62."
--------
"The way kenny has been working he will check in 6'2 210 at least and will run 4.48 to 4.55 range.

Everyone has said what needs to be said about him, in 3 years I saw him miss 1 tackle but I think he forced the guy to fumble (he got juked and stuck his arm out) he likesto play more near the line of scrimmage and he feels more comfortable there (his words) but he will be a good player at either spot with 2-3 pro bowls (at least) sprinkled In 11 year career"
-----------
"He did get run over by joseph Addai, his frosh year."
-----------
" Mf you are wrong about the weight he was 200 when he came in and now he is leaving at 210.

Kenny Phillips
6'2" 210
40 YD: 4.45

One thing I have to say is people don't realize how much he did for us this year he has saved our ass a couple of times, on some plays.

I remember hearing on my TV in my living room Kenny Phillips with the tackle, or kenny phillips with the good coverage, or kenny phillips with the bat down..... a lot(Im serious a lot of times i heard his name for positive things.)

I can't believe some of you, did your realize that we had glenn sharpe playing with an injury all season, did you know lovon ponder and anthony red**** were injured all season, did you know that willie cooper was starting all season (OMG man this guy always ***ed it up on every play.), did you know our best corner was Demarcus Vandyke (A f$$kin freshman who I think by the time he is gone will be the best corner to ever play here.), Did you know that we had a better option at safety if we started randy phillips over willie cooper, did you know that kenny phillips still made it to the all-american team at the end of the season, Did you know kenny phillips finshed third in the thorpe award voting and was close to second.

The people in the nfl know what they are getting, they are getting the real deal and some of you don't realize that.

And for Calais he did have a down year in sacks even though he had 6.5 sacks 4 away from his sophomore year but that still should have been better. He had an all around year if you look at his stats but he shoulda had more sacks but I realized he did get double teamed a lot.

But when the combine is here this might be homerism but im gonna say it KP rises into the top 10 again or possibly the top 5 if he goes crazy at the combine. Ok, im sorry for this sentence, I mean top ten is possilbe kinda, but theres no way KP goes into the top five this year with the talent at the top.

I think calais will have a great combine. I think he will move up into top 15 or if he just goes crazy at the combine top 5.

Well peace just my thoughts about the topic."
----------

pipes
02-16-2008, 08:47 AM
The general feeling seems to be FS. While he has the skilled to play SS, they think that at 200 lbs he might wear down tearin it up in a run support role in the NFL on every down.

Just about every team in the league plays at least some cover 2, if not totally a cover 2.....

Basically, there isn't that big of a difference anymore in the two S positions.

Teams have to constantly move both of them around, either in coverage or in run support to throw the opposition off.

The days of having Dennis Smith up and Steve Atwater back are a thing of the past.

Look at the Broncos last year and a lot of times both S's were playing up because the rush defense was so pi$$-poor.

mx_stiles13
02-16-2008, 08:52 AM
This is one-sided...

Maybe you should get some quotes from the Illinois board on how Rashard Mendenhall carried the entire offense and how he hasn't even reached his full potential.

:salute:

And then compare him to injury prone players like Travis Henry and Selvin Young, the mediocre backs that excel in the system that overshadows how big of a hole we have at the RB position.

edit: Mendenhall can carry the offense and score on any play. Travis Henry can't do it. Selvin Young can't do it.

Gr3yStreet
02-16-2008, 08:54 AM
This is one-sided...

Maybe you should get some quotes from the Illinois board on how Rashard Mendenhall carried the entire offense and how he hasn't even reached his full potential.

:salute:

Well, I dont really care about RM. If you do, feel free to do that. Other people have said that alot of these opinions sound objective.

Tell me, if a different teams fan came HERE and asked for info on one of our players, dont you think you could give objective information and opinions?