PDA

View Full Version : If you were the Broncos GM...

tomatostixx
02-16-2008, 02:48 PM
After reading the article found in the following link that has been discussed elsewhere,

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8278262

I had a hard time trying to figure out, which is most important - OL or DT?

So I pose to you a question:

IF you were in control of Broncos personnel decisions

AND you could only sign one big time free agent (players likely to re-sign/be franchised like Haynesworth are not eligible), who would it be and why?

TruBroncFan07
02-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I would go after Flozzel Adams to solidify are line. Then we could trade down and pick up more picks. Maybe with the niners and pick up there low first and there high second. That would give us a shot to draft Kenny Phillips in the right spot and then get Mendahall or a reciever in with the high second pick.

Bowie Man
02-16-2008, 03:09 PM
then get Mendahall or a reciever in with the high second pick.

Mendenhall will go in the 1st, too many teams need an RB or they just love him and one of them will pick him; I'd go Bennett in the 2nd. I would get an OT in FA and trade up for Ellis. The Giants won the Super Bowl with a D-Line and not much else, so I think he'd be worth it. A lot of people have said they want to get a dynasty not just a 1-year team and I think Ellis would be great piece of the puzzle.:salute:

PS I would appreciate it if no one said I was dreaming, this is just what I would do.

TruBroncFan07
02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Just Dallas and Seatle will draft a running back in the first round. I bet dallas will go with the kid from arkansas and Seattle will get the Stewart from Oregon. Who else has pressing needs at RB?

foolio2000
02-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Assuming that Corey Williams does not get resigned or tagged I would sign him, even though his price tag went way up.

OL vs DL is a hard decision for me. I would say DL. If you look at Detroit they manage to put up points with no OL, but a good DL is the only way to get a good defense, in my opinion. However, if there was a OL name in the free agency I would pick him up, because the draft has good depth for DT.

Bowie Man
02-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Just Dallas and Seatle will draft a running back in the first round. I bet dallas will go with the kid from arkansas and Seattle will get the Stewart from Oregon. Who else has pressing needs at RB?

I also said "or just love him", but WE actually might get him in the 1st.:D Some people think Oakland will draft McFadden. What if Seattle drafts Mendenhall instead of Stewart?:salute:

gyldenlove
02-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I would sign Bernard Berrian.

He is neither an OT or DT. The draft this year is overflowing with talented offensive tackles. It is one of the deepest positions, however there are no top-name OT's in FA that are not too old (Adams) or will get tagged (Gross). The draft is moderately strong at DT, however FA looks to be very week, there are some understudies (Corey Williams and the guy from Tennessee) and a few former pro-bowlers with injury problems.

I think value for money, we get the best deal in going for Berrian, cutting Walker, signing a backup type OT and depth DT (such as Kemoeatu, Sopoaga) and then addressing both positions early in the draft.

JaysusCutler
02-16-2008, 05:10 PM

Houston...:rolleyes:

lancane
02-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Before you post it would be intelligent for you to read what other teams are doing...not a cut down but an observation, teams looking for halfbacks in the draft or could take a day one back: Arizona, Detroit, Denver, Oakland, Dallas, Chicago, Houston, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Green Bay; each team has mentioned it as a possibility and has said it is a need, including Denver according to Adam Schefter who said a 1st Round back is possible.

lancane
02-16-2008, 06:46 PM
After reading the article found in the following link that has been discussed elsewhere,

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8278262

I had a hard time trying to figure out, which is most important - OL or DT?

So I pose to you a question:

IF you were in control of Broncos personnel decisions

AND you could only sign one big time free agent (players likely to re-sign/be franchised like Haynesworth are not eligible), who would it be and why?

Only one? I have to go with someone to fix the defensive front - Rod Coleman, and I would find a way to trade for Shaun Rogers. Between Coleman, Thomas, Rogers, Harris, McKinley and Peterson we will be solid and it brings in a veteran element. I think we are solid at the end position but we could draft a second day end to compete and develop with the unit.

Offensive line can be fixed in the draft, and no I am not talking Clady or Baker, Williams is a solid option...but I think Shanahan will wait until the third to fifth round an will likely add two prospects, Shawn Murphy would be an awesome pick he is so underrated it is not even funny and maybe Tyler Polumbus. We could take a bigger graded tackle in the 2nd round, but I think we will use our two first picks on playmakers.

BF
02-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Before you post it would be intelligent for you to read what other teams are doing...not a cut down but an observation, teams looking for halfbacks in the draft or could take a day one back: Arizona, Detroit, Denver, Oakland, Dallas, Chicago, Houston, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Green Bay; each team has mentioned it as a possibility and has said it is a need, including Denver according to Adam Schefter who said a 1st Round back is possible.

Dammit! you beat me to it!

stnzed
02-16-2008, 06:53 PM
He signed a 5 year deal in 2006:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364236

Although there has been talk that he could be a cap casualty (But that was last year):

http://www.kffl.com/player/5625/NFL

gyldenlove
02-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Kemoeatu will cost the Panthers 3.5 million against the cap this year. Jenkins will cost more than 4.5 million against the cap, they are not going to keep both. Between Jenkins and Kemoeatu they will keep Jenkins.

I am quite confident Kemoeatu will be cut, especially in the light of the general poor performance of the defensive line and the money they need to resign Gross, Wharton and Peppers.

stnzed
02-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Kemoeatu will cost the Panthers 3.5 million against the cap this year. Jenkins will cost more than 4.5 million against the cap, they are not going to keep both. Between Jenkins and Kemoeatu they will keep Jenkins.

I am quite confident Kemoeatu will be cut, especially in the light of the general poor performance of the defensive line and the money they need to resign Gross, Wharton and Peppers.

You're are probably right, but I thought it was posted that Kemoeatu was a free agent. He's not!

As a matter of fact, I think it was on the Sporting News Super 99 Free Agents list that I posted......

lancane
02-16-2008, 10:59 PM

Problem is that Kemoeatu does not fit Slowik's system and even though Rogers is a big guy he has the pass rushing ability, and Kemoeatu does not. I agree that Jenkins will remain a Panther...

BroncosTX77
02-16-2008, 11:23 PM
I would stay off the internet, especially this forum :smug: and trade down in or out of the first round far enough to gain a high second round pick.....

Atlanta is hurting for players after their clearinghouse sweepstakes. Why not grab both their seconds for Denver's first and call it a day~

They could grab their franchise QB and back in same round in same draft and Denver would get 2 coveted 2nd round picks. Hell have em throw in a pick for next year too.

:salute:

Don't you just love the hypothetical game. Especially when it doesn't mean jack.

stnzed
02-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Problem is that Kemoeatu does not fit Slowik's system and even though Rogers is a big guy he has the pass rushing ability, and Kemoeatu does not. I agree that Jenkins will remain a Panther...

Rogers can play in any system, imo, he proved that to me when he played in the Tampa2 in Detroit.

Kemoeatu would be a damn fine wave DT for Denver, the problem is, he'll be a starter for somebody......

lancane
02-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Rogers can play in any system, imo, he proved that to me when he played in the Tampa2 in Detroit.

Kemoeatu would be a damn fine wave DT for Denver, the problem is, he'll be a starter for somebody......

Kemoeatu will likely be starting in Miami, in Parcell's new and improved 3-4 defense! :D

BroncosTX77
02-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Kemoeatu will likely be starting in Miami, in Parcell's new and improved 3-4 defense! :D

Any fat guy with 'eatu' in his last name is someone who should be feared! :fight:

lancane
02-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Any fat guy with 'eatu' in his last name is someone who should be feared! :fight:

Hahahaha...that was just wrong! ;)

Bronco_Rob
02-18-2008, 12:22 AM
I'd give Detroit our First round draft pick and Javon Walker for Shaun Rogers and Roy Williams and maybe even a 2nd day pick. Offensive Line is a need, but a much smaller need than DT or even a #2 receiver.