• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mx_stiles13
    Banned User
    • Jan 2008

Kevin Smith

I thought it was an interesting fact that that Smith already has 905 rushing attempts in three years.

He has a lot of mileage on him!

to Mendenhall or Stewart in the 1st!
  • FinNasty
    Bench Warmer
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    I thought it was an interesting fact that that Smith already has 905 rushing attempts in three years.

He has a lot of mileage on him!

to Mendenhall or Stewart in the 1st!
    Oh man... this again?

There arnt enough threads on this topic? Including a thread with the same exact title as yours?

Kevin Smith

Comment

• fraguela09
      Byner of Buckner?
      • Oct 2006

Mel Kiper spoke today on ESPN radio... He said Mcfadden then Stewart then JOnes or Mendenhall then Johnson... Those are his top 5 rbs.

Comment

• mx_stiles13
        Banned User
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by FinNasty View Post
        Oh man... this again?

There arnt enough threads on this topic? Including a thread with the same exact title as yours?

Kevin Smith
        Hahaha I just felt like starting a new one on the subject incase you decided to claim that Kevin Smith is better than Stewart and Mendenhall again.

Plus I was too lazy to go look for the old thread..

Comment

• FinNasty
          Bench Warmer
          • Apr 2006

I'll say what I said in the other thread...

He is only a junior, so he hasnt been taking hits for 4 years. Plus, he didnt get near the workload his first 2 years as he did this past year.

Also, there is one positive about one of his "knocks"... specifically the level of competition. Everyone knows that he doesnt play against top talent every week. If he was in the SEC/Big 12/etc., and got the same amount of touches... it would be different. But the nice thing about playing against weaker competition is that he doesnt take as much of a pounding...

So, while he definatly has proved he can be a workhorse... his workload wasnt damaging as a 450 carry season would normally be... or a 900 carry career would be...

Comment

• FinNasty
            Bench Warmer
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
            Hahaha I just felt like starting a new one on the subject incase you decided to claim that Kevin Smith is better than Stewart and Mendenhall again.

Plus I was too lazy to go look for the old thread..
            Please find me a quote where I said that Smith is better than Stewart or Mendenhall or that he should be drafted above those 2?

Comment

• lancane
              Step Up or Shut Up!
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by FinNasty View Post
              Please find me a quote where I said that Smith is better than Stewart or Mendenhall or that he should be drafted above those 2?
              You haven't, all you said is he would be a solid option if we do not take a back in the first round...right now the chances are that Kevin Smith could be a solid 3rd or 4th round pick, with how these kids are being ranked, even if Smith has an awesome combine I do not see him rising too high! So I think if we did not take a first round back, then it is an option. Mendenhall and Stewart will be awesome additions, I think Fin is saying that Smith who has some excellent tangibles could be a solid pick. And as I have said I would take him over McFadden, Johnson, Charles and Forte...not sure about Rice, but somehow Rice I just am not impressed with.

My tailback list of who I like to who is tops at the position looks like this:

1. Rashard Mendenhall - Illinois
              2. Jonathan Stewart - Oregon
              3. Felix Jones - Arkansas
              4. Tashard Choice - Georgia Tech
              5. Kevin Smith - Central Florida
              6. Cory Boyd - South Carolina

Comment

• Back2Back
                Practice Squad
                • Oct 2003

Kevin Smith

I like the durability. I remember just a few years ago Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams were drafted very high. They split carries at Auburn and BOTH have been fragile. Not that I'm comparing Kevin Smith to Emmitt Smith, but Emmitt still is 2nd all time in carries at Florida.

Comment

• Warhawk
                  Practice Squad
                  • Jan 2006

Kevin Smith would be a solid pick in the 2nd-4th range, and a good fit in Denver. His past workload doesn't bother me. If anything, he's proven he can handle being a workhorse... something our RB corps clearly lacked last year.

Comment

• kratos_godofwar
                    Bench Warmer
                    • Oct 2006

To me, when it's a Junior who has the workload. I'm not too worried because they are still very young and endurance won't be too big a problem. Smith is young and skilled, they main knack on him is competition while at UCF. I'm not too worried about that either, Marshall proved that the competition is just as feirce as any another BCS confernce in NCAA Football. Jerry Rice had the same knack on him as well, but he is now a GOAT.

Comment

• AC1
                      Playmaker
                      • Jan 2008

The fact that Smith has had only one season with a heavy workload is perfect IMO. It shows that he can handle the workload for the duration of a season, without having to deal with the adverse effects of too many such seasons.

While Mendenhall or Stewart would be far more exciting (I would love those picks, even if I feel that's not the smartest way to go), Smith or Choice would be very good value for us in the second round (not to mention far more optimal in terms of the overall draft). If we choose to go DT or LB in the second, and one of these two is available in the fourth, I hope we pick him.

Does anyone know if there are any off-field concerns with Smith?
                      Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

• FinNasty
                        Bench Warmer
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
                        The fact that Smith has had only one season with a heavy workload is perfect IMO. It shows that he can handle the workload for the duration of a season, without having to deal with the adverse effects of too many such seasons.

While Mendenhall or Stewart would be far more exciting (I would love those picks, even if I feel that's not the smartest way to go), Smith or Choice would be very good value for us in the second round (not to mention far more optimal in terms of the overall draft). If we choose to go DT or LB in the second, and one of these two is available in the fourth, I hope we pick him.

Does anyone know if there are any off-field concerns with Smith?

The kid has great character, and a team first guy. Literally every time someone asked him about his success... he credited his offensive line first...

The only problem he has ever had, was when he was suspened for 1 game his sophomore year... when he missed the cerfew the night before.

Hes a great kid...

Comment

Working...
                        X