PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' draft, all there / Paige article (Merged)

cutlerfan
02-18-2008, 07:32 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_8292303

woody paige
Broncos' draft, all there
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 02/18/2008 01:12:52 AM MST

If I'm in charge of the Broncos, I offer the Cincinnati Bengals Travis Henry, Javon Walker and my first-round draft choice for Chad Johnson.

If I'm in charge of the Bengals, I tell that fool in charge of the Broncos to seek psychiatric counseling.

OK, so that idea doesn't work. I've got a million more, some somewhat compos mentis.

In regard to the NFL draft, I possess the 12th and 42nd picks for the Broncos. I trade down in the first round and up in the second round.

I use my late first-round selection for 280-pound Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling and my early second-round selection for athletic Oklahoma inside linebacker Curtis Lofton. Each is an early junior opt-out. Both will play in their first season and become serious players by their second season.

Now I have kids Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Marcus Thomas and Merling on my defensive line with third-year Pro Bowl type Elvis Dumervil and assorted veterans, and my linebacking corps has D.J. Williams and Nate Webster (Ian Gold will be gone), bolstered by Lofton. And I've already got in my secondary all-world Champ Bailey, Dre Bly, Domonique Foxworth, Karl Paymah, Hamza Abdullah and (most likely) John Lynch.

I haven't broken the bank on defense with the youngsters.

I feel like Ron Popeil, the infomercial king. I'm not finished.

I draft in the fourth round Colorado linebacker Jordon Dizon. I'll never regret the decision.

I sign as free agents Corey Williams, the interior pass rusher, late of the Packers, linebacker Boss Bailey (younger brother of Champ) of the Lions and — get ready for this — Lance Briggs of the Bears. Even if I can lure only two of the three to Denver, I'm ecstatic.

I've got myself and the Broncos a defense — young enough, mean enough, talented enough, with enough leaders. They'll deny you; I defy you.

On offense, I don't need a quarterback or a tight end. I've got Jay Cutler and the Daniel Graham/Tony Scheffler combination. I can relax there.

First, I bring in Henry and tell him he owes me big time for everything that happened in the past season. He already has admitted such publicly. I can't get rid of him, and he's a salary-cap albatross, so I go with him and Selvin Young, who is, unfortunately, "injury prone," and use a fifth pick on an injured running back who will, as others, develop in this runner-friendly system.

Second, I bring in Walker and tell him I know he wants out of here, but he's going nowhere until 2009, so he should just embrace the situation as the No. 2 receiver (behind Brandon Marshall and ahead of Brandon Stokley) and catch as catch can. And I remind him of how much money he makes.

Third, I draft an offensive lineman third. I didn't have a third-round pick until the deals trading up and down in the first two rounds. I pick center Steve Justice of Wake Forest, who will back up and eventually replace Tom Nalen.

Fourth, I sign free-agent wide receiver Justin Gage of the Titans, who had an impressive game (six receptions, 66 yards) in Denver on "Monday Night Football," or Bryant Johnson, who hasn't gotten his due, time or cash with the Cardinals.

Fifth, and most important on offense, I put the hard rush on Steelers free-agent linemen Alan Faneca and Max Starks. Faneca is a seven-time Pro Bowler (think Hall of Famer Gary Zimmerman as a guard), and Starks is a — get this — 6-foot-8, 337-pound tackle. He's coming off a knee injury, but Starks is only 26, and he would be the future replacement for the retiring Matt Lepsis. Try to get past The Great Wall of Starks.

Add to the equation that my defensive and offensive coordinators — no great shakes either — are out, and I face a relatively easy schedule: probably without a game in Europe, few on Sunday, Monday or Thursday nights and only five against playoff teams — with home games against Buffalo, Miami, New Orleans, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville and the usual suspects from the AFC West, and road games at Kansas City, Oakland and San Diego, and Atlanta, New York (Jets, not Giants), Cleveland, Carolina and, alas, New England.

If I'm in charge of the Broncos and I can do all that, I'm feeling pretty good on Feb. 18, 2008, even without a trade with Cincinnati for Johnson.

Call me crazy.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

LarryDean
02-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Good Read thanks for the thread I dont understand this part however.:coffee:

"I draft in the fourth round Colorado linebacker Jordon Dizon. I'll never regret the decision."

Ok Woody plains on fixing the Broncos by drafting a player 2 rounds early :confused:

Bronkster
02-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Absolutely perfect. If all of that happened, I would rejoice. I love Woody Paige. The only one that I'm not that sure about is Merling, but hey, at least it's not Mendenhall. :D

:rockon:

specialblend154
02-18-2008, 08:34 AM
man, i love woody paige.

KWHIT97
02-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Are you guys serious, if I post a mock offseasom where I have us signing 3 FA's and making a couple of trades you guys call me crazy and say how MADDEN_LIKE it is.

This is ridiculous, first of all when I read the first part of this thread I almost threw up, Chad Johnson in Orange n- Blue makes me wanna puke.

While I enjoy Woody's intellect I think this is completely, totally, 100%

MADDEN-LIKE

CTM
02-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Dear God do you know how much this will cost? Keeping Walker and Henry and than going after Gage, Faneca, and Williams and then BRIGGS? The draft portion isnt bad but he doesnt address safety at all.

BroncosTX77
02-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Someone send Woody some lubricant.

He's gonna need it since he's gonna hafta pull the money out of his rear for all those Free Agents.....

Never have liked him and his fake teeth....

foolio2000
02-18-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8292303

If I'm in charge of the Broncos, I offer the Cincinnati Bengals Travis Henry, Javon Walker and my first-round draft choice for Chad Johnson.

If I'm in charge of the Bengals, I tell that fool in charge of the Broncos to seek psychiatric counseling.

OK, so that idea doesn't work. I've got a million more, some somewhat compos mentis.

In regard to the NFL draft, I possess the 12th and 42nd picks for the Broncos. I trade down in the first round and up in the second round.

I use my late first-round selection for 280-pound Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling and my early second-round selection for athletic Oklahoma inside linebacker Curtis Lofton. Each is an early junior opt-out. Both will play in their first season and become serious players by their second season.

Now I have kids Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Marcus Thomas and Merling on my defensive line with third-year Pro Bowl type Elvis Dumervil and assorted veterans, and my linebacking corps has D.J. Williams and Nate Webster (Ian Gold will be gone), bolstered by Lofton. And I've already got in my secondary all-world Champ Bailey, Dre Bly, Domonique Foxworth, Karl Paymah, Hamza Abdullah and (most likely) John Lynch.

I draft in the fourth round Colorado linebacker Jordon Dizon. I'll never regret the decision.

I sign as free agents Corey Williams, the interior pass rusher, late of the Packers, linebacker Boss Bailey (younger brother of Champ) of the Lions and — get ready for this — Lance Briggs of the Bears. Even if I can lure only two of the three to Denver, I'm ecstatic.

I've got myself and the Broncos a defense — young enough, mean enough, talented enough, with enough leaders. They'll deny you; I defy you.

On offense, I don't need a quarterback or a tight end. I've got Jay Cutler and the Daniel Graham/Tony Scheffler combination. I can relax there.

First, I bring in Henry and tell him he owes me big time for everything that happened in the past season. He already has admitted such publicly. I can't get rid of him, and he's a salary-cap albatross, so I go with him and Selvin Young, who is, unfortunately, "injury prone," and use a fifth pick on an injured running back who will, as others, develop in this runner-friendly system.

Second, I bring in Walker and tell him I know he wants out of here, but he's going nowhere until 2009, so he should just embrace the situation as the No. 2 receiver (behind Brandon Marshall and ahead of Brandon Stokley) and catch as catch can. And I remind him of how much money he makes.

Third, I draft an offensive lineman third. I didn't have a third-round pick until the deals trading up and down in the first two rounds. I pick center Steve Justice of Wake Forest, who will back up and eventually replace Tom Nalen.

Fourth, I sign free-agent wide receiver Justin Gage of the Titans, who had an impressive game (six receptions, 66 yards) in Denver on "Monday Night Football," or Bryant Johnson, who hasn't gotten his due, time or cash with the Cardinals.

Fifth, and most important on offense, I put the hard rush on Steelers free-agent linemen Alan Faneca and Max Starks. Faneca is a seven-time Pro Bowler (think Hall of Famer Gary Zimmerman as a guard), and Starks is a — get this — 6-foot-8, 337-pound tackle. He's coming off a knee injury, but Starks is only 26, and he would be the future replacement for the retiring Matt Lepsis. Try to get past The Great Wall of Starks.

Add to the equation that my defensive and offensive coordinators — no great shakes either — are out, and I face a relatively easy schedule: probably without a game in Europe, few on Sunday, Monday or Thursday nights and only five against playoff teams — with home games against Buffalo, Miami, New Orleans, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville and the usual suspects from the AFC West, and road games at Kansas City, Oakland and San Diego, and Atlanta, New York (Jets, not Giants), Cleveland, Carolina and, alas, New England.

If I'm in charge of the Broncos and I can do all that, I'm feeling pretty good on Feb. 18, 2008, even without a trade with Cincinnati for Johnson.

Call me crazy.
__________________________________________________ ______________

He is crazier than some of us on this board.
I give his draft a C. I am unsure of Merling, he is "DE", he can play both DE and DT though I am sure as a DT he is not worth a first. But I would feel better about it than I did about trading up for Jarvis Moss last year.

I like his FA moves though I think they are bit far fetched. I doubt we could afford Corey Williams, much less Corey Williams AND Alan Faneca.

I LOVE his comments about bringing in Henry and Walker for a "talk".

Those are my thoughts, everyone else... discuss.

D.J.55
02-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Yea he's an retarted. I will cry if we draft Loften and Merling. We need to give Crowder, Thomas, and Moss time to delevelop. I dont like Loften at all. You can tell me all the things he's done this past year like produaction but here what think of production. Its is not a measure of statistics, but of the skill level and ability that creates the production. Why is he productive? Is the production due more to his ability and efforts or those of his teammates or the scheme that he plays in?

As for Merling. He should have stayed at school. I watched him get manhandle in the game against Georgia Tech. He couldnt get off the blocks. I think he's overrated to be honest.

BroncosTX77
02-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I already gave my thoughts on the General Board regarding this issue :smug:

kthxbai
02-18-2008, 11:45 AM
The whole article is a joke. :coffee:

foolio2000
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I already gave my thoughts on the General Board regarding this issue :smug:

Oh, my bad. I glanced over the general board to see if this article was posted (I spend most of my time on this board). I should of looked closer.

BroncosTX77
02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh, my bad. I glanced over the general board to see if this article was posted (I spend most of my time on this board). I should of looked closer.

No biggie, think it was a dead issue there anyway ;)

Zealander
02-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Yea he's an retarted.

:laugh:

:nono:

Peerless
02-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Woody is just a little bit over his head on this one.

Lorcust
02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Woody needs to lay off the paint chips.

broncobuss
02-18-2008, 12:57 PM
the part of the articale that i agree with the most is that they need to get O-linemen in free agency, that is where you are going to get your best results, and most immediate results, other than that, stick with the draft, let the young guys mature and learn to play together instead of making all the whole sale changes every year, it takes time to develop, theres alot to be said for experiance playing together

The Caped Crusader
02-18-2008, 02:32 PM
It seems that Woody Paige has no idea what the salary cap is. Signing Corey Williams AND Lance Briggs would surely put us over if we decide to keep Henry and Walker.

Although if we sign Corey Williams I'd be happy with the offseason no matter what.

fraguela09
02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Yea he's an retarted. I will cry if we draft Loften and Merling. We need to give Crowder, Thomas, and Moss time to delevelop. I dont like Loften at all. You can tell me all the things he's done this past year like produaction but here what think of production. Its is not a measure of statistics, but of the skill level and ability that creates the production. Why is he productive? Is the production due more to his ability and efforts or those of his teammates or the scheme that he plays in?

You are WAY OFF on Curtis Lofton. Not sure how much you watch Oklahoma... but Lofton is a stud. You act like he just had a "productive" season. What he did this year... hasn't been done in Oklahoma for like two decades. Coach Stoops said Lofton was THE BEST player he every coached.

Lofton, a consensus All-American, was OU's leading tackler in 2007 when he notched 157 stops, the sixth-best total in school history.

Lofton is a pure football player... NOt doubt.

Ranked third in the nation with a career-high 157 tackles (94 solos), as his average of 11.21 tackles per game ranked seventh nationally...

Added a 2-yard sack, 10.5 stops for losses of 22 yards and one quarterback pressure…Registered at least ten tackles in eight contests…

Caused four fumbles and recovered another that he advanced 12 yards for a touchdown…Deflected two passes and intercepted three others, including one touchdown…

Started the team's first ten games at strong-side outside linebacker before shifting to the middle for the final four contests…

Led a unit that ranked 17th in the nation in rush defense (110.29 ypg) and 19th in scoring defense (20.29 ppg), as the squad allowed 338.36 yards per game in total offense.

Ranked second on the team in special teams tackles with 10, 32 tackles/18 solo, 6 tackles for loss in 2006.

Coach Bob Stoops called the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year the best linebacker he has ever coached.

I WOULD LOVE TO GRAB LOFTON IN THE 2nd round!

stnzed
02-18-2008, 04:32 PM
"On offense, I don't need a quarterback"---Woody

I'll bet he had to force himself to type this.

As far as Woody's article is concerned, it bothers me that I agree with anything he says, he's the second biggest idiot in town, only Kizla is a bigger idiot.

Having said that, I'd take Bailey, Williams and Briggs in a heartbeat......

BroncoKazuki
02-18-2008, 04:46 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8292303

Call me crazy.
__________________________________________________ ______________

That right there should just be the article :coffee:

lancane
02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Seriously are you punch drunk? Usually you have some good articles but this was just horrid. First off Denver needs to step away from the 'me and drama' riddled players, best way is to just cut Henry and Walker, walk away from both of them. For what they are due we could easily bring in some depth and sign some talent which is still developing. Chad Johnson is cancer and we should have had our fill of them, Denver will likely get a late round draft pick for Gold, they will likely cut Mike Bell and that will leviate some restriction.

After all that Denver can go out and really start to add without spreading high dollar; Rod Coleman the defensive tackle from Atlanta is a feesable addition and he would be interested with his former position coach now here in Denver. You sign a good number four wideout like Ruvell Martin from Green Bay who could develop into a great slot like Stokely and be an extra threat with Cutler. Denver should try and sign Sean Locklear the offensive tackle from Seattle, he has been down on his luck but can at times be dominant and can play both tackle positions and he would beef up the right side of the line, Harris may start at left...but if not Locklear could. And you sign one 'superstar' type player in Ken Hamlin who is likely to be out of Dallas, he could force us to use Lynch if he returns to his normal position of strong safety and gives you another pro bowl defensive back, Abdullah and Lynch could split time.

In the draft you stay put...you take playmakers with your first two picks; in round one a top shelf halfback which is a dual threat and brings domination back to the run game such as Rashard Mendenhall who is according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock the best overall back in the draft. In the second round you take a top defensive tackle like Dre Moore from Maryland who is one of the best all around defensive tackles in this years draft. Trade Foxworth and Gold, somewhere in there should be enough to get a third round pick and there we should add Earl Bennett the Vanderbilt receiver who would love to join up with Cutler once again.

Utilize our second day picks strictly for depth at linebacker, strong safety, cornerback, punter and offensive line where some very stout prospects will be such as Utah State's Shawn Murphy who is the most underrated lineman in the draft. But you utilize both to feel needs. Between that type of free agency and draft we are closer to winning and going farther then keeping a loser like Henry, a whinner like Walker and trying to force players who are questionable to play.

Now that was a good retort to this idiotic article...oh wait I wrote that! ;)

beastlyskronk
02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
All he does is write articles on players and practices and talk stats on Around the Horn. It really doesn't surprise that he has no idea what the offseason is all about.

Dean
02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
When I read the article, I was under the impression that Woody was poking fun at the unrealistic expectations of the fans. I don't believe he was offering an article on his honest expectations.

However, the following URL gives some somewhat recent cap information. This doesn't include the release of Smith or Lepsis; so it should be even higher now.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=107776&highlight=salary

gyldenlove
02-18-2008, 06:18 PM
The man is clearly a moron.

The money spent on Lance Briggs, Corey Williams, Alan Faneca, Max Starks and Justin Gage is going to mean we have to cut about half the team. On top of that he wants to keep Javon Walker and his 8 million cap hit. Unless the cap goes up to about 175 million bucks next season he is dreaming.

The idea of having DJ, Webster and Lofton (3 middle linebackers) and Lance Briggs is just about the stupidest thing.

But here is the kicker, drafting ANOTHER! DE while we don't even have enough DT's on the roster to start a game.

stnzed
02-18-2008, 06:20 PM
The man is clearly a moron.

The money spent on Lance Briggs, Corey Williams, Alan Faneca, Max Starks and Justin Gage is going to mean we have to cut about half the team. On top of that he wants to keep Javon Walker and his 8 million cap hit. Unless the cap goes up to about 175 million bucks next season he is dreaming.

The idea of having DJ, Webster and Lofton (3 middle linebackers) and Lance Briggs is just about the stupidest thing.

But here is the kicker, drafting ANOTHER! DE while we don't even have enough DT's on the roster to start a game.

You say that like it's a bad thing......

Broncos724
02-18-2008, 07:35 PM
And while we're spending like drunkards in free agency we should also get Randy Moss and Albert Haynesworth :coffee:

The Caped Crusader
02-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Woody always did seem like the type of guy who would put an emergecny ejection seat on a helicopter.

PatrickdaDookie
02-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Too bad we don't have the cap room to do all that.

24SuperChamp
02-20-2008, 11:58 AM
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson (Getty Images file)

Call me crazy.

Call him whatever you want....he has some GREAT points!

JerseyAdam
02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
That's great and all, my prob w/ this is that they are all "what if's". A LOT OF 'EM.

There are so many things that need to fall into place it's unnnnreaaaallll. I do like his overall point of getting young on D though. But the entire "sit Walker down" is plain dumb. It doesn't work like that. It would be nice, but it doesn't...kinda like his entire article...

hardcorebronco
02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
That's a whoooole lot of money being spent in the FA... Especially if we keep Walker and Henry under contract.

And drafting a center in the third round doesn't make sense. Kuper or Meyers will be just fine there (WHEN Nalen retires), the real problems are at the tackles. I would prefer drafting someone there for depth. I highly doubt we get both Starks and Faneca! But hey, in the Madden World this would equal SUPER BOWL!

I'd be interested to see Woody become a GM for some team (just not ours) for real entertainment. ;)

BroncosTX77
02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Woody Paige is a bigger moron than Emmitt Smith when it comes to NFL commentary. And that is saying alot!

:coffee:

BroncFanIN
02-20-2008, 01:24 PM
I'd love to see Boss in the backfield with this brother. That would be awesome!
I like the FA pick-ups of Bryant and/or Gage. Either one would make a great #2...of course, Walker would ,too...but thats not going to happen.

The idea of trading down is a real possibility, which will garner us more picks.

It'll be fun to see how it all works out!

The Caped Crusader
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
I posted this the last two times someone posted this article: Woody always seemed like he's the type of guy who would put an emergency ejection seat on a helicoptor.