PDA

View Full Version : What we really need.

CTM
02-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Forget position on this one. Our team is too nice. Plain and simple, especially on defense. We absolutely need guys who can play with a chip on there shoulder on the field. I'm talking about guys like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, Brandon Jacobs and Marion Barber. Guys who arent afraid to lay someone out. I dont think once I remember one of our RB trying to run someone over or a S hitting someone and knocking the ball loose. Lynch used to do that but he's well past his prime. Ever since we lost Wilson we lost the intensity he brought to the entire D. Lets look for that this year in the draft. I want a Ray Lewis type guy leading the defense not only by outstanding play but firing the team up emotionally. A tough RB who can run people over as well as out running them. It is this, the ultimate X factor of toughness that we so desperatly need right now. Some people will say that we have become a finese team over the past few years. Well look where that has gotten us.

lancane
02-18-2008, 01:57 PM
It is called the fear factor, it became popular long ago, but in this era it really has died. It is a term used by headhunter-esq players...meaning to intimidate, hurt and all out maul their opponents. Lynch in his early days was this type of player, Romonowski never stopped being that type and Atwater was a legend of a headhunter. They would hit you so hard and in places that would make you forget everything you thought you knew about the game. Unfortunatley there is not really many of them in this year's draft...next year their is a good handful of these kids. I think Jamar Adams is a likely canidate to be a good pro headhunter cause he plays angry and has a mean streak...but next year there are some kids like Maualuga who are so fit to that and I hope we can add one.

The Dyna$ty
02-18-2008, 01:57 PM
So you agree we should trade our 2nd fifth round pick for pac-man jones too???:cheers:

CTM
02-18-2008, 02:09 PM
No. Pacman isnt what I'm talking about. I'm talking about making the front 7 of the defense comparable to that of the Ravens front 7. They play a different scheme but the guys they draft are just tough. Theres no other way to explain it. When teams play the Ravens they fear them. Look what they did to Roethlesburger last year. You arent a true Broncos fan if you dont want our D to be able to do the same thing to Rivers. All those hits on Big Ben were clean, but they had an edge of ferociousness that will make RB's think twice about hitting the hole and a QB who's nervous about his blind side. I dont exactly want a team full of headhunters, but can we play with some fricken intensity?

lancane
02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
So you agree we should trade our 2nd fifth round pick for pac-man jones too???:cheers:

Pacman is not a headhunter, more like a headcase...:cheers:

LordTrychon
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
You mentioned having a RB that runs over people... Henry has a good stiffarm if he stays healthy...

But more importantly, we have one of the hardest if not THE hardest WR to bring down in the league... Cutler's not easy to tackle either, but that's different.

Anyway... I agree... I'd love to scare people more again. :salute:

lancane
02-18-2008, 02:32 PM
You mentioned having a RB that runs over people... Henry has a good stiffarm if he stays healthy...

But more importantly, we have one of the hardest if not THE hardest WR to bring down in the league... Cutler's not easy to tackle either, but that's different.

Anyway... I agree... I'd love to scare people more again. :salute:

Henry only scares green smokeable plants...no one in this league is scared of him, they are too busy laughing at him! Plus he is injury proned, hit him in the right spot you eliminate him from the game...that is not scary!

;)

LordTrychon
02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Henry only scares green smokeable plants...no one in this league is scared of him, they are too busy laughing at him! Plus he is injury proned, hit him in the right spot you eliminate him from the game...that is not scary!

;)

To be fair, Child Support services is probably a little scared too.

Yeah.... Lancane's not biased when it comes to RBs at ALL... ;)

lancane
02-18-2008, 02:50 PM
To be fair, Child Support services is probably a little scared too.

Yeah.... Lancane's not biased when it comes to RBs at ALL... ;)

Nice post-script there Trychon...lmao. I am not biased, excuse me if I do not hold faith on an injury proned, drug addicted, sex fiend who does not take care of his children! I guess that makes me a bad person...hey wait, I did not do it...I take care of my children even though I have four less then him!

;)

LordTrychon
02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Nice post-script there Trychon...lmao. I am not biased, excuse me if I do not hold faith on an injury proned, drug addicted, sex fiend who does not take care of his children! I guess that makes me a bad person...hey wait, I did not do it...I take care of my children even though I have four less then him!

;)

Thanks for proving my point.

:laugh:

For the record, I'd be NEARLY as happy as you if we picked up a stud RB in the draft, and I don't think you're off base in thinking that Shanny's gonna concentrate more on offense...

But if I have to wait an extra year for that RB while we fix DT... I'd be ok with that too. (and to make it on topic... a NASTY MEAN DT)

;)

The Dyna$ty
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
No. Pacman isnt what I'm talking about. I'm talking about making the front 7 of the defense comparable to that of the Ravens front 7. They play a different scheme but the guys they draft are just tough. Theres no other way to explain it. When teams play the Ravens they fear them. Look what they did to Roethlesburger last year. You arent a true Broncos fan if you dont want our D to be able to do the same thing to Rivers. All those hits on Big Ben were clean, but they had an edge of ferociousness that will make RB's think twice about hitting the hole and a QB who's nervous about his blind side. I dont exactly want a team full of headhunters, but can we play with some fricken intensity?

lol I was obviously joking ...........or was I?

no seriously heres what we need.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/77315870.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1938DCDF9EF37AEBD737B9D27BB55047768 284831B75F48EF45 :fight:

lancane
02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for proving my point.

:laugh:

For the record, I'd be NEARLY as happy as you if we picked up a stud RB in the draft, and I don't think you're off base in thinking that Shanny's gonna concentrate more on offense...

But if I have to wait an extra year for that RB while we fix DT... I'd be ok with that too. (and to make it on topic... a NASTY MEAN DT)

;)

Yeah...the problem is what nasty mean defensive tackle? Ellis who is literally the perfect defensive tackle by that standard is way out of our reach. I would say Dre Moore is close enough, but I am unsure about him being mean enough...he has the skill and ability I would love to have us add. There is just no real mean nasty players this year, next year there are some terrifying prospects Maualuga for one, but quite a few others I say have that demeanor we were are speaking of. I say go offensive heavy this year so next year we can take Brandon Spikes ILB Florida in the first round, Dorell Scott DT Clemson in the second round and someone like Louis Delmas S from Western Michigan in the third...

I would use our first three picks this year on offense, but that is me...;)

CTM
02-18-2008, 08:28 PM
lol I was obviously joking ...........or was I?

no seriously heres what we need.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/77315870.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1938DCDF9EF37AEBD737B9D27BB55047768 284831B75F48EF45 :fight:

Haha awesome pic. Yeah I think Philips could provide us with a hard hitting and physical saftey that we need. Let him learn from Lynch while playing with him for a year then turn him loose on the league. But were still too soft up front as well so hopefully we can find a tough DT in the other rounds.

Dean
02-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Pacman is not a headhunter, more like a headcase...:cheers:

No. . . Pacman is a headhunter. When he is out "clubbing" he starts looking for his head after 3:00 am. He isn't very observant though. He usually finds it in the same place that it was last time. . . embedded in his **** cavity.:D

lancane
02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
No. . . Pacman is a headhunter. When he is out "clubbing" he starts looking for his head after 3:00 am. He isn't very observant though. He usually finds it in the same place that it was last time. . . embedded in his **** cavity.:D

:eek: LMFAO...Hahaha, now that was harsh, likely true but harsh...hahaha!:laugh:

Bronkster
02-18-2008, 09:16 PM
I take care of my children even though I have four less then him!

Wait, you have kids? I would think they would be neglected from all the time you spend on this message board...;)

I am completely kidding by the way. I am sure you are a great father and (obviously) a much better one than TH.

LordTrychon
02-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Wait, you have kids? I would think they would be neglected from all the time you spend on this message board...;)

I am completely kidding by the way. I am sure you are a great father and (obviously) a much better one than TH.

Be careful joking with 'Cane.

He's got no sense for sarcasm. You're likely to upset him.

:coffee:

;)

Zealander
02-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I would agree man... last year we lacked fire, an identity.

That's what our team needs is an identity. I hope Brandon Marshall can bring a swagger, and that him and Cutler can unite to create a sense of confidence and a real scoring threat that our offense can unite under.

We are still lacking that player on defense... I don't know who it is or who it should be but we need one of the younger guys to really step up and make a voice as the defense. Really the only guy I can think of is DJ Williams. This is why I'm hoping to see John around one more year, because he is a guy who can provide that fire, know how and desire to win and put the hits down... But John is no longer the face of our defense, he is what he is and that is an aging hall of famer.

lancane
02-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Hahaha...no problem, but actually I built my office next to the playroom and the doors open up into that room, so I can always keep an eye on them...lol. Sometimes I get tired of the damn Disney songs playing over and over again...hahaha! But that is fatherhood. Just be thankful, some of you are still waiting or in school, I had my first child before I even graduated High School, try being a single dad trying to graduate and play football...now that is fun -- even harder once I was in College!

;)

BroncosTX77
02-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Hahaha...no problem, but actually I built my office next to the playroom and the doors open up into that room, so I can always keep an eye on them...lol. Sometimes I get tired of the damn Disney songs playing over and over again...hahaha! But that is fatherhood. Just be thankful, some of you are still waiting or in school, I had my first child before I even graduated High School, try being a single dad trying to graduate and play football...now that is fun -- even harder once I was in College!

;)

I'd kill for some Disney or Looney Tunes. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Spongebob, Doodlebops, Dora, and Diego. :goofy:

lancane
02-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Be careful joking with 'Cane.

He's got no sense for sarcasm. You're likely to upset him.

:coffee:

;)

Sssshhhh...or I will be forced to smack you with a lightsaber! :D

Hahaha...and I have a great sense for sarcasm, it just seems otherwise! But I can be a jerk real easy too, that is just my italian bloodlines showing. The one thing is you can always count on me being a smart - you know what, I mean I am 32 years old and married to a 23 year old hottie, I wonder if anyone else on these boards can claim that?

;)

armchair scout
02-18-2008, 11:26 PM
This thread suggests that we need Owen Schmitt because we need to scare people again, The consensus at the Senior Bowl was that if you hear that mean type of hit you don't even have to look to know who it was. It was always Schmitt. Dan Connor was the first to say this. Google Owen Schmitt hits to find out the impact his ten mangled face masks has had on other players. Watch the game to see how he elevated his teams. I'll stop campaigning for him when he is wearing orange and blue.:salute:

lancane
02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I'd kill for some Disney or Looney Tunes. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Spongebob, Doodlebops, Dora, and Diego. :goofy:

I would shoot myself, spongebob is just annoying and Dora, the songs from Dora I think have a hidden message for parents, you just want to hang yourself...lol.

BroncosTX77
02-18-2008, 11:29 PM
I married an ugly woman.

I want to live forever!

:beer:

lancane
02-18-2008, 11:30 PM
This thread suggests that we need Owen Schmitt because we need to scare people again, The consensus at the Senior Bowl was that if you hear that mean type of hit you don't even have to look to know who it was. It was always Schmitt. Dan Connor was the first to say this. Google Owen Schmitt hits to find out the impact his ten mangled face masks has had on other players. Watch the game to see how he elevated his teams. I'll stop campaigning for him when he is wearing orange and blue.:salute:

Armchair it is not like none of us would not like to have Schmitt, we just know the chances are slim...the odds are better we get four day one picks draft Mendenhall, Ellis, Otah and Bennett! Would I be happy if that happened, ughhh...but we know better, that is all.

lancane
02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I married an ugly woman.

I want to live forever!

:beer:

Hahahaha...I take it your wife never watches you chat on the board? Cause I have a feeling you would be getting a beat down right now...lol. I still can not believe you said that, "I married an ugly woman" just like what is that movie...ehhh, sheesh oh yeah Roadhouse...lmao.

BroncosTX77
02-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Armchair it is not like none of us would not like to have Schmitt, we just know the chances are slim...the odds are better we get four day one picks draft Mendenhall, Ellis, Otah and Bennett! Would I be happy if that happened, ughhh...but we know better, that is all.

Knowing Shanny, Denver will get stuck with Early 'Vinegar' Doucet with first pick and Jerrod 'Hold The' Mayo in the second. :coffee:

armchair scout
02-18-2008, 11:34 PM

Mendenhall AND Ellis...How are we going to make that happen? That would mean letting go of someone big and trading up to the top five. Ellis will be long gone after 10. The only way I can see us getting Ellis is if we were stricken with an affliction of the senses and traded Cutler to the fins. I would cease to be.

BroncosTX77
02-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Hahahaha...I take it your wife never watches you chat on the board? Cause I have a feeling you would be getting a beat down right now...lol. I still can not believe you said that, "I married an ugly woman" just like what is that movie...ehhh, sheesh oh yeah Roadhouse...lmao.

She is passed out cold. :cheers:

BTW he says in Roadhouse never marry an ugly woman because they take the life right out of ya. :smug:

Only reason I am still up is I had a paper to finish writing L O L. But I'm 30 shes 24 we have same birthday and Anniversary is 4 days b4 xmas so I'll never forget her birthday or anniversary. I'm all set!

lancane
02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Knowing Shanny, Denver will get stuck with Early 'Vinegar' Doucet with first pick and Jerrod 'Hold The' Mayo in the second. :coffee:

Very likely...hahaha...

lancane
02-18-2008, 11:50 PM
She is passed out cold. :cheers:

BTW he says in Roadhouse never marry an ugly woman because they take the life right out of ya. :smug:

Only reason I am still up is I had a paper to finish writing L O L. But I'm 30 shes 24 we have same birthday and Anniversary is 4 days b4 xmas so I'll never forget her birthday or anniversary. I'm all set!

That makes it easy! my birthday is in December, my wifes is in October our anniversary is in November, but my kids birthdays'...one in December, one in January, one in February, one in March and lastly another in April, as you can see I really wanted to take over half of the calender year...hahaha.

And before you ask of how that is possible when she is only 23, I have been married two previous times...lol. My batting average sucks, it usually about every four years and 'bye-bye', hell one day I just woke up and me and my wife actually made it to five years! And I was like whoa, I beat my old record...hahaha.

lancane
02-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Mendenhall AND Ellis...How are we going to make that happen? That would mean letting go of someone big and trading up to the top five. Ellis will be long gone after 10. The only way I can see us getting Ellis is if we were stricken with an affliction of the senses and traded Cutler to the fins. I would cease to be.

It was a sarcastic retort...but it proved how unlikely getting Schmitt would be, we have a better chance of draft Fred Davis in the first round!

armchair scout
02-19-2008, 12:04 AM
It was a sarcastic retort...but it proved how unlikely getting Schmitt would be, we have a better chance of draft Fred Davis in the first round!

All we have to do is trade Walker for a pick that is ahead of the Bills in the third round. I'd take Schmitt for Walker in a heartbeat as long as Bryant Johnson is coming to town.

lancane
02-19-2008, 12:16 AM
All we have to do is trade Walker for a pick that is ahead of the Bills in the third round. I'd take Schmitt for Walker in a heartbeat as long as Bryant Johnson is coming to town.

Walker and Henry if we are lucky will both be cut here real soon! And while I know everyone wants this player or that player, I still think free agency will be more defensive then offensive and we will have an offensive draft IMHO.

armchair scout
02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Walker and Henry if we are lucky will both be cut here real soon! And while I know everyone wants this player or that player, I still think free agency will be more defensive then offensive and we will have an offensive draft IMHO.

I agree. I think you reinforced my point. There is no way Mike is going to ignore the possibility of Schmitt plus Mendenhall/Stewart opening things up for the team. If we can run at will like we could with these guys, we are back to our philosophy of back to back Superbowls era. My FA wishes(keeping it as realistic as possible) are:

Shaun Rodgers...if he is only paid for performance.
Al Wilson...Not too expensive and a team leader.
Zack Thomas...He and Wilson allow Williams to play wherever.
Bryant Johnson...one word, coaching.
Boss Bailey...just in case.

Then we load up in the draft:

Kenny Phillips if he is there. We do need an impact HB so we go that route if he is not, possibly with a trade down for more picks. If we do draft Phillips, we need a back on day one. There are a few good prospects there too.

Dan Connor would be nice in the second. I like the Earl Bennett idea, but I don't have a feeling that he will be drafted in the second.

Owen Schmitt...I won't take no for an answer. If the Raiders get him, we're going to regret it for years. Reach a little to look smart in the future.

If we draft a halfback in the first, we should find a safety like Craig Steltz in the third or fourth.

Day two, we work on the O line and punter situation. We also grab Adrian Arrington and Mike Hart if they are still around.

What do you think? Think positive cane.

BF
02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I agree. I think you reinforced my point. There is no way Mike is going to ignore the possibility of Schmitt plus Mendenhall/Stewart opening things up for the team. If we can run at will like we could with these guys, we are back to our philosophy of back to back Superbowls era. My FA wishes(keeping it as realistic as possible) are:

Shaun Rodgers...if he is only paid for performance.
Al Wilson...Not too expensive and a team leader.
Zack Thomas...He and Wilson allow Williams to play wherever.
Bryant Johnson...one word, coaching.
Boss Bailey...just in case.

Then we load up in the draft:

Kenny Phillips if he is there. We do need an impact HB so we go that route if he is not, possibly with a trade down for more picks. If we do draft Phillips, we need a back on day one. There are a few good prospects there too.

Dan Connor would be nice in the second. I like the Earl Bennett idea, but I don't have a feeling that he will be drafted in the second.

Owen Schmitt...I won't take no for an answer. If the Raiders get him, we're going to regret it for years. Reach a little to look smart in the future.

If we draft a halfback in the first, we should find a safety like Craig Steltz in the third or fourth.

Day two, we work on the O line and punter situation. We also grab Adrian Arrington and Mike Hart if they are still around.

What do you think? Think positive cane.

If we draft a RB in the first, why would we attempt to draft Mike Hart? I think Jamar Adams would be a better pick than Steltz, but Steltz would be a good option to Adams if he is gone. I like Schmitt as much as you do, but I don't see Shanahan going that direction. I can see Shanny going more for a guy like Brad Cottam (TE) on the second day over a fullback.

haciendadad
02-19-2008, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=LordTrychon;2109102]To be fair, Child Support services is probably a little scared too.

If I was Henry I'd be playing like a mad man if I had to split my salary 10 ways.