PDA

View Full Version : Please Get Briggs!!!

DBroncs3
02-18-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't know whats going on in Chicago but if we could get Briggs it would be a huge addition! If Chicago doesnt resign him (dont think they can franchise him again) we need to get this guy! DJ & Briggs would be amazing!

Does any1 know whats going on with briggs?

PLEASE GET BRIGGS!!! :)

The Caped Crusader
02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Bowlen has already stated that he is tired of the team being built through Free agency. That means no more over priced FAs in Denver. If Denver signs any bigname FA it better be Corey Williams.

DBroncs3
02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
If we got the 2 of them that would be amazing!

Then go to the draft! :rockon:

The Caped Crusader
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
If we got the 2 of them that would be amazing!

Then go to the draft! :rockon:

This isn't baseball, there IS a salary cap.

DBroncs3
02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
LOL i know! where do we stand with our cap???

this would fill 2 major needs though

lancane
02-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Actually I think Williams could be the one we really go after, but a lot depends of Lynch as well. If Lynch retires, then I think Ken Hamlin becomes our major target; we then can sign the likes of Rod Coleman, Sean Locklear and Ruvell Martin. If we do cut both Henry and Walker, which is likely...then I think we could also add Williams as a possibility here.

Plus on top of all that we are likely cutting ties with Gold, Foxworth and Bell; so as you can see we may have room to work with. I also think a linebacker prospect is feesable, but Denver will work it out I believe.

silkamilkamonic
02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
LOL i know! where do we stand with our cap???

this would fill 2 major needs though

And prevent any money left on filling other holes.

You don't seem to understand that do you? Denver's strapped against the cap year in and year out.

DBroncs3
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
What are the actual numbers??? I think we would be ok

Justice
02-18-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't know whats going on in Chicago but if we could get Briggs it would be a huge addition! If Chicago doesnt resign him (dont think they can franchise him again) we need to get this guy! DJ & Briggs would be amazing!

From the Bears message boards.

Team Report: Inside Slant

Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel
The Bears aren't about to reveal the extent of Brian Urlacher's neck injury until perhaps the day before training camp starts in late July.

But, if the team's attitude toward free-agent-to-be Lance Briggs changes on Feb. 29 or later, it will be an early indication that they're concerned about Urlacher's future, even though it doesn't appear that the injury or the surgery are career threatening. The Bears have been resigned to letting Briggs leave since he declined their six-year $30 million offer nearly two years ago.

But they will be forced to change their tune if Urlacher's neck injury, which required early February surgery, is considered a threat to his continued excellence. Letting a three-time Pro Bowl player like Briggs walk away when you have a healthy six-time Pro Bowler in Urlacher to anchor the defense is a business decision the Bears felt they could afford to make. But going into battle next season without Briggs and with Urlacher's health tenuous could undermine the Bears' chances of returning to the playoffs and the Super Bowl, which they still consider a very real possibility.

Urlacher has been the face of the Bears since shortly after he was drafted in the first round in 2000.

Since being selected in the third round three years later Briggs has always been forced to play second fiddle, although he's played a pretty mean tune, practically matching Urlacher tackle for tackle the past four years.

But Urlacher's neck injury, even if it isn't a serious problem yet, is the latest and best indication yet that Briggs might be a better long-term asset. Briggs, who has missed just two games in five years, is only 27. Urlacher has been extremely durable too, missing just seven games in eight years, but he will be 30 two months before training camp begins, and his play suffered in several games this past season when he was hindered by an arthritic back, which isn't going to get any better.

That doesn't mean Urlacher isn't still an exceptional player -- he is. He was more effective in the final few weeks of the season than Briggs, and he deserved another trip to the Pro Bowl as much as Briggs. But the Bears need an insurance policy if Urlacher's play slips or he misses significant time because of injuries. If Briggs leaves, the Bears will have no depth at linebacker, and even with him they don't have much in reserve.

For quite a while almost no one has believed there was any chance of Briggs re-signing with the Bears, but all along general manager Jerry Angelo has gone out of his way not to close the door on that slim possibility. Now it's time to swing that door wide open and welcome Briggs back to Halas Hall.

That way they're protected if Urlacher's injury is more serious than believed. If not, they keep two of the NFL's best linebackers together for a few more years, and what's wrong with that?

broncobuss
02-18-2008, 03:38 PM
And prevent any money left on filling other holes.

You don't seem to understand that do you? Denver's strapped against the cap year in and year out.

and yet we get any player that we target, every year guys like you say we dont have any cap space and we wont be able to sign any one, but then we always do because of reworked contracts and cuts so let the broncos worry about the cap they have done well so far, and we have at least 16 million in cap space heading in this year, which is plenty to sign one or both of those guys plus others, the key differance this year is if denver wants to do this, not if they got the money to do it. stop ragging on people about there ideas because you have little room to talk.

Saucy
02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Just because Bowlen said we aren't going to build our team around FA doesn't mean we won't sign a FA or two or five. Who knows! You certainly don't and neither do I! I think we will all be surprised to see who Denver signs! And people say the cap is at limit. I don't believe it's that bad and if we're letting go a lot of people, then we will have some nice cap space for one or two FA's.

The Caped Crusader
02-18-2008, 05:21 PM
and yet we get any player that we target, every year guys like you say we dont have any cap space and we wont be able to sign any one, but then we always do because of reworked contracts and cuts so let the broncos worry about the cap they have done well so far, and we have at least 16 million in cap space heading in this year, which is plenty to sign one or both of those guys plus others, the key differance this year is if denver wants to do this, not if they got the money to do it. stop ragging on people about there ideas because you have little room to talk.
Yup, just like Kearney, T.O., and every other big name free agent that we have "targeted" and failed to sign.

beastlyskronk
02-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Only around 15 mil on the cap after Walker and Henry's bonuses. I think that's it. Also having the 12th pick in the draft doesn't help since it will demand huge money. Corey Williams wants probably around 6 mil a year and Lance Briggs probably wants around 7 or 8 mil a year. That right there leaves us with about 1 mil left on the cap. Then we have to sign a whole bunch of draft picks.

That's why it's key we get either Walker or Henry to re-work their contract. Maybe even Champ and some other high paid players.

str8jacket
02-18-2008, 05:39 PM

I get such a headache reading your posts sometimes. :brick:

lancane
02-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Only around 15 mil on the cap after Walker and Henry's bonuses. I think that's it. Also having the 12th pick in the draft doesn't help since it will demand huge money. Corey Williams wants probably around 6 mil a year and Lance Briggs probably wants around 7 or 8 mil a year. That right there leaves us with about 1 mil left on the cap. Then we have to sign a whole bunch of draft picks.

That's why it's key we get either Walker or Henry to re-work their contract. Maybe even Champ and some other high paid players.

Henry and Walker are both likely to be cut at this point, but even with that we would be hard pressed having maybe an extra 4 Mil. I think we may target one top notch free agent like Ken Hamlin or maybe Corey Williams, but for the money they would get...Hamlin at least would be worth it, I do not think Corey is worth what he will get. Better to trade for Shaun Rogers and sign him to a new contract that is backloaded.

stnzed
02-18-2008, 05:57 PM
If the Broncos start sitting on their hands during free agency I'm going to f'ing pissed off!

This is no time to start acting like the Monforts......

beastlyskronk
02-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Henry and Walker are both likely to be cut at this point, but even with that we would be hard pressed having maybe an extra 4 Mil. I think we may target one top notch free agent like Ken Hamlin or maybe Corey Williams, but for the money they would get...Hamlin at least would be worth it, I do not think Corey is worth what he will get. Better to trade for Shaun Rogers and sign him to a new contract that is backloaded.

I doubt we cut Henry simply because if we do we still have to pay the bonus. I'm not sure if we would still have to pay Walker if we cut him. Actually it's probably around 18 mil now since it was 16.77 mil before Rod and Matt Lepsis retired.

Ken Hamlin would definitely be worth it but unless Dallas plans on drafting Kenny Phillips I doubt they'll let him go. He was the best player on the secondary and most consistent.

I used to want Corey Williams but now I don't because we need quality. And by quality I mean a player who can pass rush and stop the run. A full-time starter is what I want. Shaun Rogers would make much more sense to get.

Eugene Wilson would be the safety I target but I doubt he wants to sit on the bench another year.

lancane
02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I doubt we cut Henry simply because if we do we still have to pay the bonus. I'm not sure if we would still have to pay Walker if we cut him. Actually it's probably around 18 mil now since it was 16.77 mil before Rod and Matt Lepsis retired.

Ken Hamlin would definitely be worth it but unless Dallas plans on drafting Kenny Phillips I doubt they'll let him go. He was the best player on the secondary and most consistent.

I used to want Corey Williams but now I don't because we need quality. And by quality I mean a player who can pass rush and stop the run. A full-time starter is what I want. Shaun Rogers would make much more sense to get.

Eugene Wilson would be the safety I target but I doubt he wants to sit on the bench another year.

According to Schefter the Broncos are heavily considering just letting Henry go...so it is possible, and now the league allows some players to be cut and be activated as June 1st cuts, so that leviates the hit fiscally. Walker is likely gone as well, neither in my honest opinion will take the re-worked contracts too headily, Walker more so then Henry. But Henry has said he wants to prove himself and could possibly re-work his contract, but I think he will be a wall when it comes to the one Shanahan has in mind. As far as Ken Hamlin, he is likely not to be re-signed by Dallas, he has already said he wants to see what is out there before he signs a long-term deal with the Cowboys.

beastlyskronk
02-18-2008, 06:16 PM
According to Schefter the Broncos are heavily considering just letting Henry go...so it is possible, and now the league allows some players to be cut and be activated as June 1st cuts, so that leviates the hit fiscally. Walker is likely gone as well, neither in my honest opinion will take the re-worked contracts too headily, Walker more so then Henry. But Henry has said he wants to prove himself and could possibly re-work his contract, but I think he will be a wall when it comes to the one Shanahan has in mind. As far as Ken Hamlin, he is likely not to be re-signed by Dallas, he has already said he wants to see what is out there before he signs a long-term deal with the Cowboys.

Gibril said the same thing but he changed his mind and so could Hamlin.

garzjoe
02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
According to Schefter the Broncos are heavily considering just letting Henry go...so it is possible, and now the league allows some players to be cut and be activated as June 1st cuts, so that leviates the hit fiscally.

Man I need to start watching the NFL Network more…I’m behind the times!

But Henry has said he wants to prove himself and could possibly re-work his contract, but I think he will be a wall when it comes to the one Shanahan has in mind.

Yeah especially with all kids he has…I doubt he will re-work his contract but I could be wrong. I would actually be up to seeing how Henry could do for us when completely healthy for a full year (probably won't happen).

-Joe

garzjoe
02-18-2008, 06:48 PM

I agree 100%...if we can make it work with the cap I would LOVE to have Briggs here! :rockon:

-Joe

Bronco_Rob
02-18-2008, 06:57 PM

Champ wants a new contract too there buddy...so he won't be restructuring.

lancane
02-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Champ wants a new contract too there buddy...so he won't be restructuring.

You beat me to it Rob, but that is exactly it...Champ wants a final contract which will keep him here till the end of his career, but I still think Champ would do it where it financially hindered the Broncos unlike Bly.

Dream
02-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Why pay 50 million dollars for a guy at a position where rookies who will make significantly less can put up as good of production. There are about 12-15 good linebackers in this draft. Draft one. Pass on spending big money on Briggs.

armchair scout
02-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Both Al Wilson and Zack Thomas would still be far cheaper than Briggs. I would love to have Briggs too, but not for 40 million. Let's send Al Wilson out right. Add Zack Thomas to Winborn, Williams, and Webster and you have a solid LB core of veterans. Draft another and we are solid there without extending. We may even be top five. If we can pull that off, draft Kenny Phillips, and sign/draft an impact DT, we can check defense off our list.

Draft Owen Schmitt so the defense can sit on the bench sipping gatorade and we are back in the bowl. No more missed pro bowls for Cutler the next ten years.

end rant.

BroncoWY
02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry but I just don't see why we should draft one of these rooks who all are not considered non-busts. If we really need a linebacker which we do we need Briggs to come in for skill and on the field leadership. Yes he will demand big money and even though champ wants a new contract i can see him pulling a brady. I mean when Brady wanted playmakers he said he would take a new deal to get it done. I really think we need to bring in Hamlin or Briggs. Trade down grab Phillips and pile up on DT's and actually i would like us to get Chris Lofton of Oklahoma in the second if we can't get Briggs.

elevation INC
02-19-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm sorry but I just don't see why we should draft one of these rooks who all are not considered non-busts. If we really need a linebacker which we do we need Briggs to come in for skill and on the field leadership. Yes he will demand big money and even though champ wants a new contract i can see him pulling a brady. I mean when Brady wanted playmakers he said he would take a new deal to get it done. I really think we need to bring in Hamlin or Briggs. Trade down grab Phillips and pile up on DT's and actually i would like us to get Chris Lofton of Oklahoma in the second if we can't get Briggs.

i would rather get lofton than briggs, i dont feel like spending all of our FA money on 1 guy. hamlin would be nice though.

broncobuss
02-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Yup, just like Kearney, T.O., and every other big name free agent that we have "targeted" and failed to sign.

Of course we dont get everyone, but we still offered them contracts, we did not tell them hey we want you but we dont have the cap space, its that we thought that they were worth a certian amount and they picked another team. but my point was that our cap space has never stoped us from going after anyone, you can say alot about shanny, but they do a very good job with the cap.
I could have worded my post a little better, but you understand what im talking about.

broncobuss
02-19-2008, 08:29 AM
:hammer:
I get such a headache reading your posts sometimes. :brick:

you have trouble following reason?

kratos_godofwar
02-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Why pay 50 million dollars for a guy at a position where rookies who will make significantly less can put up as good of production. There are about 12-15 good linebackers in this draft. Draft one. Pass on spending big money on Briggs.

short and sweet. I like it and agree with it. Briggs is not the LB we want, when we can draft younger and better talent.

the_roob
02-21-2008, 03:15 AM
I think Briggs would be a great addition to the team, but he's really looking just to get paid. He's a great player and would help the team out a lot but I just don't think he'd be worth the money. Just like Daniel Graham; he was very helpful and made the offense better, but was he really worth all the money we gave him? The only way we could bring Briggs in, would be to overpay him.

We really need to spend money on getting a DT before we go looking for the biggest LB out there.

We shouldn't be worried about the cap though. I think there are some big names that we won't be writing checks for.