PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Freyaka
03-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Okay, now that I asked the question properly, I better understand the details. So yes, it is a disadvantage to the leader(s). But as you say, if they are up by a lot, they will probably gain that lead again.

Do folks see this as unfair, or has it just been generally accepted?

It's kind of a situation where sometimes you benefit from this sometimes it hurts you. The competition is so even these days that someone could be dominant one week and be struggling the next and that extra time on pit road can make the difference to help them take a bad day and make it good.

Yes it may sometimes seem unfair but really it's a part of the sport and people benefit from it one week and get burnt by it another, just kind of the nature of things.

Freyaka
03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
I want to be clear though I am in no way anti-stewart, it's his curmudgeon attitude that I tend to love most about him (like this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fff3HdZJ_ks

I just think he tends to complain about a lot of things and then go out there and do the exact things he's complaining about.

BroncosFanInPA
03-27-2013, 05:34 PM
It's kind of a situation where sometimes you benefit from this sometimes it hurts you. The competition is so even these days that someone could be dominant one week and be struggling the next and that extra time on pit road can make the difference to help them take a bad day and make it good.

Yes it may sometimes seem unfair but really it's a part of the sport and people benefit from it one week and get burnt by it another, just kind of the nature of things.

Speaking of being hurt by it, remember before the wave around rule in certain scenarios on restarts they would line the cars up at the tail end of the lead lap in front of the leader & the leader sometimes would be restarting in like row 7 or 8 sometimes.

Good god was that a mess & caused alot of problems, so glad that is no longer an issue & also the double file resart was a great idea as opposed to single file.

CanDB
03-28-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure if I'd call it unfair. It's part of racing. Not sure what else they could do. Stagger the restart? I don't think that would work.

The time that it really hurts the lead driver is when a caution happens very late in the race. I'm talking 10 or less laps. The big lead the 1st place driver has disappears and on a restart, since anything can happen, there's more of a chance for the leader to lose the race. The late race cautions that bother me are the ones for debris. The debris that no one can see. One year, my friends from NY wore t-shirts that said "Show me the debris!". The ladies were so proud of them. :D

Peanut & Freyaka explained things very well & as far as being unfair, it's the way it's always been done because as Peanut said there is basicly no other way of doing things when it comes to cautions, there is no way you could put the cars back in the actual time they were behind on the track, it would be a total mess.

Also it does help create more excitement as opposed to somebody out front cruising with a 10 second lead over 2nd place & everyone else even further back, nobody wants to watch someone run away with a race but it can happen if the race goes without a caution for a long period which is why as peanut mentioned, sometimes Nascar will throw a caution for debris even if nothing is on the track just to bunch the field back up so it doesn't get very boring.

Thanks for your responses. It does verify sort of what I was thinking, and that I didn't miss something totally in the process. I just don't watch it enough......not against it, but just not high on my already thick sports list.

BUT Judy I bolded what you said, because that's exactly what kind of bothered me when I was thinking about the levelling playing field so to speak......in the late stages of a long race, the racer who had a big lead could actually be overtaken in a short sprint situation. I don't really like that, but if that's the way the sport runs, and folks have all bought in, who am I to say.

Thx again!

CanDB
03-28-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't expect you to laugh at this, but I thought it was kinda funny......

If someone from NASCAR is mad at you, and starts to chase..........just turn right.

;)

(with that, I'm not likely going to be welcomed back here!!!:D)

Freyaka
03-28-2013, 03:20 PM

If someone from NASCAR is mad at you, and starts to chase..........just turn right.

;)

That probably deserves a cp when i get home.

BroncosFanInPA
03-28-2013, 03:33 PM

;)

Ha Ha! Not bad Can, except when they race on the road course which by the way have been some of the most exciting & entertaining races of the whole season in the last couple years.

Stop back anytime if you feel like it or if ya got any other questions on your mind, there may only be a handful of us that post in here but i would say all that do are very knowledgable of the sport. :salute:

CanDB
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Ha Ha! Not bad Can, except when they race on the road course which by the way have been some of the most exciting & entertaining races of the whole season in the last couple years.

Stop back anytime if you feel like it or if ya got any other questions on your mind, there may only be a handful of us that post in here but i would say all that do are very knowledgable of the sport. :salute:

Thx bud....

And if I return I can just hear James Franco now, "Members and CanDB, start posting...."

;)

Peanut
03-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks for your responses. It does verify sort of what I was thinking, and that I didn't miss something totally in the process. I just don't watch it enough......not against it, but just not high on my already thick sports list.

BUT Judy I bolded what you said, because that's exactly what kind of bothered me when I was thinking about the levelling playing field so to speak......in the late stages of a long race, the racer who had a big lead could actually be overtaken in a short sprint situation. I don't really like that, but if that's the way the sport runs, and folks have all bought in, who am I to say.

Thx again!

I watch F1, IndyCar and NASCAR. It's the same in all of them. There's just no way to avoid it.

Come back anytime. We'll get you hooked. :D

CanDB
03-29-2013, 11:52 AM
I watch F1, IndyCar and NASCAR. It's the same in all of them. There's just no way to avoid it.

Come back anytime. We'll get you hooked. :D

Hey J......did you ever think how wild these races would get if it was a two way race track!!!!!!!:O

And even though I am not a huge fan, I am AMAZED at the skill level!! I wouldn't even want to be a passenger, given the crazy speed and proximity to one another. "These Guys (And Gals) Are Good!!!!"

BroncosFanInPA
04-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Well i must say i was very disappointed with the race for several reasons, first was there was not much roughing each other up especialy after all the buildup from California, i thought for sure stewart would at least bump logano but there was nothing.

Secondly, speaking of stewart, he better do something real soon if his performance doesn't pickup like get rid of addington, the day that Danica finishes in front of him & at Martinsville of all places for her first time there, it's time for changes to be made. Not to take anything away from her, she had a great race for her first trip to the paperclip but tony is better than what's going on.

And lastly, i'm sick and tired of knowing the outcome of the race before it ever starts for who is going to win. They should just rename the track Johnsonville instead of Martinsville & i'm not talkin bout the sausage either.

It's getting real old. :rolleyes:

AZ Snake Fan
04-11-2013, 01:30 PM

The first round of testing for Cup cars at Texas is complete.
The second round of testing will begin now.
It will go on for about 90 minutes. No TV coverage today.
Results can be viewed here:
http://www.nascar.com/content/nascar/en_us/sprint-cup-series/leaderboard/leaderboard-practice.html

Thanks to SPEED, tomorrow the final Cup practice will be televised at 12:30 p.m. ET, Happy Hour at 3 p.m. and Sprint Cup qualifying at 6:30 p.m.

I am looking for a good Cup race at Texas. The track is a mile and a halfer and really worn in.
Texas has lots of racing lane and drivers can pass from almost anywhere.
All these drivers and crews are beginning to grasp what the Gen 6 can do and how the air works.

The main factor will be the ambient temps during practice, quals and finally, race night.
The team that can adjust the best to the temps has the best chance for the trophy.

Behave yourselves drivers, be safe and have a good time in Texas ! :D

roushmartin6
04-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Didn't get to see the race because I had to work but listened to it on my phone with PRN, sounded like it was a good race but Truex and Busch were the class of the field. I feel bad for Truex, his team just finds ways to lose the race after dominating.

BroncosFanInPA
04-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Didn't get to see the race because I had to work but listened to it on my phone with PRN, sounded like it was a good race but Truex and Busch were the class of the field. I feel bad for Truex, his team just finds ways to lose the race after dominating.

Yeah it was a decent race i guess, Kyle is really on it this year & looks like a serious threat for the cup (Peanut smiles) & as far as Truex goes, your right he has been close alot but can't close the deal.

In fact they showed a stat that since his last win he has finished 2nd 6 times. But even had he won it would not have been the same considering his car failed post race inspection & probably will get docked points.

I'm starting to feel bad for Gordon because he has been so strong in alot of races but seems like something is always going wrong for him & they don't have the results to show for how well they are running.

And then there is my man smoke who is performing more like a dud & has been very disappointing this year. Just 1 top 10 in 7 races & can't even run in the top 20 anymore. 22nd in the points & off to the worst start to a season in his career & it's not even close.

I don't know what the heck is going on this year, i'm starting to think maybe too much emphasis was put on starting that third team with Danica & not enough focus on there own team & now it's showing, but that's just a guess on my part or then again maybe it's Addington just not being the right fit.

Either way i would not be shocked to see changes made like real soon if his performance doesn't pickup in the next race or two because the season is quickly slipping away & chances of making the chase are fading if things don't improve.

roushmartin6
04-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah it was a decent race i guess, Kyle is really on it this year & looks like a serious threat for the cup (Peanut smiles) & as far as Truex goes, your right he has been close alot but can't close the deal.

In fact they showed a stat that since his last win he has finished 2nd 6 times. But even had he won it would not have been the same considering his car failed post race inspection & probably will get docked points.

I'm starting to feel bad for Gordon because he has been so strong in alot of races but seems like something is always going wrong for him & they don't have the results to show for how well they are running.

And then there is my man smoke who is performing more like a dud & has been very disappointing this year. Just 1 top 10 in 7 races & can't even run in the top 20 anymore. 22nd in the points & off to the worst start to a season in his career & it's not even close.

I don't know what the heck is going on this year, i'm starting to think maybe too much emphasis was put on starting that third team with Danica & not enough focus on there own team & now it's showing, but that's just a guess on my part or then again maybe it's Addington just not being the right fit.

Either way i would not be shocked to see changes made like real soon if his performance doesn't pickup in the next race or two because the season is quickly slipping away & chances of making the chase are fading if things don't improve.

Yea I agree, SHR as a whole is struggling big time, especially at the mile and halfs which is concerning since its the majority of the schedule. Firing Darien Grubb was also a terrible decision too that keeps haunting him. I keep holding out hope that Mark can get a couple wins this year after being so close last year.

AZ Snake Fan
04-19-2013, 04:40 PM
'

Fast Friday:
Qual record broke again today, 4th track in a row I think.
I really like this Gen 6 car, do you ? Sure beats the box car !

Fords owned Cup practice today.
Roush's birthday too, Happy 71 years young ! :D

Quals; 4 Fords in the top six.
Kenseth got the pole, Kyle 5th in their Toyos
Positions 2,3, 4 and 6, all Fords:
Carl, Stenhouse, Hornish and Almirola.

3 Toyos and the first Chevy round out the top ten quals:
Truex, Mark Martin and Clint Boywer, 7, 8 and 10 in theirToyos.
Ryan Newman's Chevy qualified in the 9th position.

Strong wing gusts today, seemed to be impacting cars between turns 1 and 2.
Almost all the cars were getting squirrley there.
Jeff Gordon spun out and got into the wall at that spot.
Roush's hat was blowing off and Danica's hair was 90 degrees to her head.

Kansas is a mile and a half tri-oval.
Looking for a good Cup race.

Behave yourselves drivers, be safe and have a good time in Kansas ! :D

Peanut
04-19-2013, 06:28 PM
'

Fast Friday:
Qual record broke again today, 4th track in a row I think.
I really like this Gen 6 car, do you ? Sure beats the box car !

Fords owned Cup practice today.
Roush's birthday too, Happy 71 years young ! :D

Quals; 4 Fords in the top six.
Kenseth got the pole, Kyle 5th in their Toyos
Positions 2,3, 4 and 6, all Fords:
Carl, Stenhouse, Hornish and Almirola.

3 Toyos and the first Chevy round out the top ten quals:
Truex, Mark Martin and Clint Boywer, 7, 8 and 10 in theirToyos.
Ryan Newman's Chevy qualified in the 9th position.

Strong wing gusts today, seemed to be impacting cars between turns 1 and 2.
Almost all the cars were getting squirrley there.
Jeff Gordon spun out and got into the wall at that spot.
Roush's hat was blowing off and Danica's hair was 90 degrees to her head.

Kansas is a mile and a half tri-oval.
Looking for a good Cup race.

Behave yourselves drivers, be safe and have a good time in Kansas ! :D

You mean what I'm watching right now is a repeat?

It's been a long day. Funerals are not fun.

roushmartin6
04-21-2013, 11:46 PM
All things considered, glad Mark got a top 10 finish today but man I wish the team would start running up front more. Truex and Bowyer are in the mix for wins and it seems the 55 is not quite there yet which is surprising considering some of the strong runs they had last year, I expected more from them this year. Also, Kenseth has gone off like a firecracker since joining Gibbs, I thought the combination would work, just didn't think it would be this soon.

BroncosFanInPA
04-22-2013, 04:54 PM
How much longer is Tony going to let things go like this? He has got to make a change because things aren't getting any better, in fact i think they have gotten worse the last 2 races.

It's time to move on from Addington & put Zippy back ontop the box & get back to contending like he should be! He should be embarrassed with his performance when you can't even run in the top 20. :ugh:

roushmartin6
04-24-2013, 12:01 AM
How much longer is Tony going to let things go like this? He has got to make a change because things aren't getting any better, in fact i think they have gotten worse the last 2 races.

It's time to move on from Addington & put Zippy back ontop the box & get back to contending like he should be! He should be embarrassed with his performance when you can't even run in the top 20. :ugh:

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet. Pairing Newman and Bourland back together has improved their performance, they are either out to lunch with the rest of SHR or running into bad luck. Firing Grubb was dumb move to begin with.

roushmartin6
04-24-2013, 12:03 PM
From Jayski:

TRD Statment on #20 penalties: TRD Statement: "During NASCAR's routine post-race tear down of Matt Kenseth's race-winning car and engine from Kansas Speedway, one of our engine connecting rods weighed in approximately three grams under the legal minimum weight of 525 grams. None of the other seven connecting rods were found to be under the minimum weight. We take full responsibility for this issue with the engine used by the #20 Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) team this past Sunday in Kansas -- JGR is not involved in the process of selecting parts or assembling the Cup Series engines. It was a simple oversight on TRD's part and there was no intent to deceive, or to gain any type of competitive advantage. Toyota is a company that was built on integrity, and that remains one of the guiding principles of the company. The goal of TRD has always been -- and will continue to be -- to build high-performance engines that are reliable, durable and powerful, and within the guidelines established by NASCAR."(TRD)(4-24-2013)

Race winning car fails post race inspection. I doubt the infraction gave him an advantage but i'm sure the fine will be hefty (or at least it should be, poor Carl Long is still out of Cup racing because of an engine violation).

Peanut
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
I live about 10-15 minutes from where the accident occurred. I used to drive by Kelly's parents' home every week (when I worked).

I hope she's okay.

Former driver Sutton involved in serious motorcycle crash: A man is killed and a woman is critically injured in a motorcycle crash on Veterans Highway. It happened Sunday just after 9 p.m. on Veterans Highway near Benfield Boulevard in Millersville when a 2008 Harley Davidson motorcycle crashed after striking a raised cement median/barrier. The driver, 55-year-old Robert G. Wells of Crownsville, was transported to Baltimore Washington Medical Center, where he later died from injuries. The passenger, 41-year-old Kelly R. Sutton of Crownsville, sustained severe injuries from the crash and was transported to Baltimore Shock Trauma in critical condition. Speed and alcohol use appear to be possible contributing factors in the crash. The investigation is ongoing. Sutton has 54 career starts within trucks spanning the 2003 to 2007 seasons.(CBS Baltimore)(4-9-2013)

AZ Snake Fan
04-26-2013, 04:48 PM
^^^^^
So sorry to hear about that accident. Prayers for Kelly, RIP Mr. Wells.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fast Friday:

QUALS:

Pole winner: Matt Kenseth
2. Vickers
3. Gordon
4. Kahne
5. Bowyer
6. Montoya
7. Logano
8. Kyle
9. Truex
10. Mark Martin

As you can see, Lots of Toyos in the top 10 again.
And as you all know, practice and qual times can be thrown out the window.
All depends on track conditions at race time and the team's in-race adjustments
Richmond is a short track, 3/4 miler.

Drivers were having problems getting on throttle out of the turns.
Look for some fish tails race day along with a lot of lap traffic.

Drivers behave yourselves, be safe and enjoy Richmond.

Peanut
04-27-2013, 10:41 AM
^^^^^
So sorry to hear about that accident. Prayers for Kelly, RIP Mr. Wells.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fast Friday:

QUALS:

Pole winner: Matt Kenseth
2. Vickers
3. Gordon
4. Kahne
5. Bowyer
6. Montoya
7. Logano
8. Kyle
9. Truex
10. Mark Martin

As you can see, Lots of Toyos in the top 10 again.
And as you all know, practice and qual times can be thrown out the window.
All depends on track conditions at race time and the team's in-race adjustments
Richmond is a short track, 3/4 miler.

Drivers were having problems getting on throttle out of the turns.
Look for some fish tails race day along with a lot of lap traffic.

Drivers behave yourselves, be safe and enjoy Richmond.

Nice write up, AZ. Should be a good race.

It's NW, but---Scott VS Piquet

I had the Draft on and forgot the NW race was on (I'll have to catch a replay). Two Childress guys arrested for alleged assault because it was outside the track. The law doesn't apply if it was within the track?

BroncosFanInPA
04-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Addington has to go now! :mad: This has gone way too far!

I'm making a bold prediction that he gets fired this week, or at least i'm hoping so. :(

roushmartin6
04-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Mark got wrecked again, make me wonder why I even watch anymore lol

Freyaka
04-30-2013, 05:56 AM
Mark got wrecked again, make me wonder why I even watch anymore lol

Try being a Bobby Labonte fan.....

roushmartin6
05-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Try being a Bobby Labonte fan.....

My mom is a Bobby fan so I know where you are coming from. His career nose dived when he left Gibbs but at least he hasn't sunk as low as Terry has........

Freyaka
05-02-2013, 05:50 AM
My mom is a Bobby fan so I know where you are coming from. His career nose dived when he left Gibbs but at least he hasn't sunk as low as Terry has........

Nose dived once Jimmy Makar left actually.

Peanut
05-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Nose dived once Jimmy Makar left actually.

Yeah, musical CCs really didn't help.

AZ Snake Fan
05-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Fast Friday: Talladega

Talladega is a bigger track than Daytona, over 2.5 miles/lap.
Talladega is wider than Daytona and has a longer backstretch.

Has Toyota solved their engine issues during long runs at big tracks ?
We will find out Sunday.

In recent years, both of these restrictor plate race tracks have been plagued by freight training.
I'm hoping the larger spoilers on the Gen 6 cars at Talladega will counter bumpers lining up.
More down force on the nose.
I would love to see these cars passing each other on Sunday.
We'll see.

Personally, I dislike the 20+ car trains, hope we don't see that.
Team mates may try to help each other but I don't think we'll see solid bumper to bumper runs.

First practice today was kinda willy-nilly, lots of teams trying different things.
It was real cloudy and very windy.
Most of the top ten cars were flirting with close to 200 mph laps.
Expect those speeds to increase a lot if conditions are better Sunday.
Fuel and tire strategy; this race will be won in the pits, lots of crew chief nail biting.

Very few teams participated in final practice.
Gordon entered a turn at 214 mph, Brad K was fastest over all in final practice.

Later, the weather forecast came out for Saturday; 90+ chance for all day rain.
The ARCA race today was called for rain during the last few laps.

Quals are scheduled for Saturday.

If qualifying is rained out, by rule, the pole will be determined by today's first practice.
So....if quals are rained out:

Pole: Carl
2. Truex
3. Ambrose
4. Logano
5. Newman
6. Kenseth
7. Hamlin
8. Johnson
9. Gordon
10. Kahne

Behave yourselves drivers and enjoy Talladega !!! :D

Peanut
05-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I vote AZ for our personal NASCAR reporter. :D Good stuff.

I'm glad Denny is out of the car. It would not help his back if he were involved in a crash.

Like the one that just happened. There goes my teams. :sad:

BroncosFanInPA
05-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Typical Talladega! :rolleyes:

But what else was i expecting? :confused: :doh:

roushmartin6
05-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Congrats to David Ragan and the whole Front Row Motorsports group. Love seeing the underdog teams grab a win every now and then. Front Row Motorsports has come a long way since they showed up almost 10 years ago.

Peanut
05-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Typical Talladega! :rolleyes:

But what else was i expecting? :confused: :doh:

Rain delays are fun. Went shopping and came back in plenty of time to watch the end of the race.

Congrats to David Ragan and the whole Front Row Motorsports group. Love seeing the underdog teams grab a win every now and then. Front Row Motorsports has come a long way since they showed up almost 10 years ago.

I agree. Congrats to them!

BroncosFanInPA
05-06-2013, 04:42 PM

I'm with ya there & i would think most anybody you ask would say the same, it's really nice to see some of the teams with less funding than the powerhouse teams of the sport get a win. :clap:

But that's what Talladega can do, it's the great equalizer as they like to say & gives every driver in the race a legitimate chance at winning unlike at other tracks.

And besides it gets to be a bore at times when you have the same cars running up front of most of the races so it's refreshing to see the little guy get a shot, even if i don't always care for how the plate races end up with a bunch of torn up cars, but it's the nature of the beast.

AZ Snake Fan
05-06-2013, 09:55 PM

I agree with all of you also...Congrats to David Ragan, two huge wins for that kid.

Speaking of the less funded teams,
How 'bout that Denver Furniture Row Team ?
They've been putting up a good fight and have been in it almost every race.
Kurt has been driving the wheels off of that car all year.
They just can't seem to catch a break, something always happens to them.
~~~
On another note:
Hat's off to to Tony, MW and a few others for voluntarily starting at the back.
Like him or not, Hamlin is really busted up.
Smoke showed his class again by crossing team and manufacturer lines to help protect an injured driver.
The fast swap to Vickers using the roof hatch was cool, nice try but # 11 wrecked anyway.
I liked Mikey's paint job too ! :D

roushmartin6
05-07-2013, 12:14 PM
And as one underdog team breaks through the history column, one decides its time to move on. I read on Jayski Phoenix Racing is shutting down after Indy. Sad to see them go, they have been around forever and the last few years their team has ran as competitively as they ever have. The car is 13th in owners points. Sad that they still can't find a sponsor after their great runs.

AZ Snake Fan
05-10-2013, 04:20 PM

Fast Friday: Darlington

First practice fastest cars were Paul Menard, Bowyer, Jamie McMurray, Dale Jr, Carl, Kyle, Truex, Montoya, Kenseth and Biffle in that order. During the day there were many of the usual scrapes with the wall, Danica scraped bad enough to have to go to a back up car.

Second practice had Montoya fastest with Stenhouse, Carl, Jeff Burton, Kurt, Biffle, Kenseth, Gordon, Truex and Kyle in the top ten in that order.

Track conditions for practice were sunny and hot; during quals there was cloud coverage for some that helped them stick better. As you know, the race will be at night, set ups calcs will be just as critical as staying out of the Darlington wall. I expect some even faster times than we saw today.

Quals : Another track qualifying record was smashed again this year at Darlington.
Pole: Kurt
2. Johnson
3. Kyle
4. Kahne
5. Truex
6. Hamlin
7. Kenseth
8. Gordon
9. Biffle
10. Harvick

Behave yourselves drivers, be safe and enjoy Darlington ! :D

BroncosFanInPA
05-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Time for "The Lady In Black" "Too Tough To Tame" So how many Darlington stripes will we see?

I think there is going to be alot of action tonight & i think maybe some tempers will flare up & we may see some scraping, it's a narrow track & i can see alot of rubbing on each other.

Also it's Denny Hamlin's first full race back & you can bet he hasn't forgotten about Logano costing him 4 or 5 races & all the pain he has dealt with, watch & see if something don't go down with them two.

I think there may be others getting into it as well & perhaps it's time for smoke to settle up some scores with a few tonight. Either way i think it should be an exciting race.

roushmartin6
05-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Had to work tonight so I missed the race, but it sounds like I didn't miss much. Listened to it on my phone when I had the chances and basically it was Kyle's night up until a tire problem and Kenseth keeps making Jack Roush look more and more foolish. Also Mark finishes 4 laps down while Truex finishes in the top 10. I had bigger expectations than this for this season. MWR needs to figure out whats wrong with the 55 team because the other 2 run up front more consistently.

BroncosFanInPA
05-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Time for "The Lady In Black" "Too Tough To Tame" So how many Darlington stripes will we see?

I think there is going to be alot of action tonight & i think maybe some tempers will flare up & we may see some scraping, it's a narrow track & i can see alot of rubbing on each other.

Also it's Denny Hamlin's first full race back & you can bet he hasn't forgotten about Logano costing him 4 or 5 races & all the pain he has dealt with, watch & see if something don't go down with them two.

I think there may be others getting into it as well & perhaps it's time for smoke to settle up some scores with a few tonight. Either way i think it should be an exciting race.

HA HA! Boy i really nailed it right? :doh: What i snooze fest, 1 caution in the first 300 laps & that was a phantom debris one at that :yawn: Yep i hit it out of the park :laugh:

Maybe i shouldn't give any predictions on what kind of race we will see. :nono:

Or better yet perhaps i should say something like...well this race will probably be another sleeper & maybe even go caution free & when it ends there will be 3 cars on the lead lap. :eek:

roushmartin6
05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
HA HA! Boy i really nailed it right? :doh: What i snooze fest, 1 caution in the first 300 laps & that was a phantom debris one at that :yawn: Yep i hit it out of the park :laugh:

Maybe i shouldn't give any predictions on what kind of race we will see. :nono:

Or better yet perhaps i should say something like...well this race will probably be another sleeper & maybe even go caution free & when it ends there will be 3 cars on the lead lap. :eek:

Sadly that's what most of the races end up being now. They need to go back to less restrictions with the gear ratios and such. Every team shouldn't be able to shoot for the same laps window to make it on fuel every week.

Peanut
05-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Sad News - Dick Trickle: Retired race car driver Richard "Dick" Trickle, 71, died Thursday from an apparent self inflicted gun shot wound, according to the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office. The incident occurred at 12:02 p.m. at Forest Lawn Cemetery on Highway 150 East in Boger City. The Lincoln County Communications Center received a call apparently from the victim that "there would be a dead body and it would be his." Communications Center workers tried to place a return call to the number but did not get an answer. The first emergency units arriving on the scene located the body lying near the victim's pickup truck. Trickle was a Lincoln County resident and had lived there since the early 1990's.(wbtv.com)
Trickle was the 1989 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Rookie of the Year, started 303 Cup races with 15 top-fives [with a best finish of 3rd, five times), 36 top-tens and 1 pole (Dover 1990).(Racing-reference.info)(5-16-2013)

Very sad. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

RIP, Mr. Trickle.

Thors Hammer
05-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Very sad. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

RIP, Mr. Trickle.

Very sad. The man was a Wisconsin short-track legend .

roushmartin6
05-17-2013, 12:58 AM
A very sad day. Just one of the good ole boys I watched growing up. He just loved racing and you will never see anything like this again in NASCAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fB1IcTD48

Southstander
05-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Tim Flock, Maurice Petty, Dale Jarrett, Jack Ingram, Fireball Roberts elected to NASCAR Hall of Fame.

BroncosFanInPA
05-24-2013, 03:03 PM
A bit long but a good read but i don't agree with all of it.

CONCORD, N.C. — Everyone knows Tony Stewart's crew chief is in trouble. If you listen to the conventional wisdom in the garage, Steve Addington probably is going to be fired any day now.

In fact, with three-time champion Stewart sitting 21st in the standings, why hasn't he been fired already?

Maybe it's because Stewart's struggles aren't all Addington's fault.

"You're waiting for Steve Addington to get fired, but I don't honestly believe we're giving Steve Addington good enough cars to give our driver a chance to win," said Addington's boss, Stewart-Haas Racing competition director Greg Zipadelli. "I don't think it's fair to go mess with people's lives just because we don't have our (crap) together as a group."

This has been a miserable season, and many other teams already would have made the crew chief the fall guy by this point. Someone has to take the blame, right?

But SHR isn't adopting that philosophy — not yet, anyway. Zipadelli, sitting in his motor home Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, told USA TODAY Sports that pointing the finger at one person would just be making a hollow change.

"It frustrates me that people say, 'You should do this, you should do that,'" Zipadelli said. "Well, why don't you come over and sit in my seat, sit in Steve Addington's seat, sit in (Ryan Newman crew chief) Matt Borland's seat. It's easy to pick up a pen and just bash somebody when they have no idea internally what's going on."

But it's also easy to see why people would think a change is needed: The entire organization is struggling. In addition to Stewart, Newman is 17th in the standings and rookie Danica Patrick is 28th.

To say the organization's start has been a letdown is a dramatic understatement.

"The biggest disappointment (of any team) is how badly the Stewart-Haas Racing cars ... are running," Fox analyst Darrell Waltrip said. "They are going nowhere, and quite honestly they don't seem to be all that concerned about it."

The team was off to a bad start before the season began. In the midst of adding a third car, it shuffled personnel and added new people but fell drastically behind by underestimating that process, Zipadelli said.

It didn't help that SHR was late to get many parts it needed to build the new Gen 6 cars. The team had to "beg, borrow and steal" to get some of the required pieces, Zipadelli said, and is only now starting to make the cars better.

"It became pretty clear, our weak area," Patrick said. "I think we were surprised. All of us understand we have to work hard to fix it and we have to admit what we need to fix."

Now, Zipadelli said, SHR is starting over. The problem is the season is one-third complete after Sunday.

"It's tough; it's frustrating; it's pretty humbling," he said. "We aren't making light of it."

Many would trace Stewart's decline in performance to the firing of crew chief Darian Grubb. In 2011, Stewart caught fire in the Chase for the Sprint Cup and won five out of 10 races en route to his third championship — but informed Grubb halfway through the title run that his services were no longer needed.

That didn't seem to be a huge deal when Stewart made the Chase last year with Addington, but this year's struggles have revived talk that SHR made a mistake.

Grubb, also a former Hendrick Motorsports employee, served as a key link between the teams — Hendrick is SHR's engine and chassis supplier. Zipadelli says the relationship with Hendrick remains strong.

"I saw them like this before, then they went and won a championship," said Jeff Gordon, who drives for Hendrick and indicated SHR drivers hadn't been part of the weekly team debriefs as often this year.

But time is running short if any SHR cars are going to make the Chase, which Zipadelli said was the furthest thing from anyone's mind. Recent test sessions (such as one at Dover International, where NASCAR races next week) could pay off.

Still, how long can it wait?

"There's a little light at the end of the tunnel," Zipadelli said. "I'm just hoping it's not a train."

I thought this was a very interesting article & for a statement to be released there has got to be alot of tension going on in the whole organization & i'm really surprised that Zippy is sticking up for Addington, who could have just left his name out of the conversation.

Anyway, i'm not sure if i'm buying into everything that was said, i mean really how could you not be prepared? And not have the proper parts for your cars? Something just don't sit right to me.

AZ Snake Fan
05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
jmo, I think NASCAR has put tremendous pressure on Stewart/Hass to showcase Danica.
That has to cause problems for the entire team. Ricky and Danica, All Stars ? Really ? Rookies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlotte is a mile and a halfer, largest track in NASCAR. 400 laps = 600 miles.
Toyos dominate the top 5 again.
If the Toyos survive this race, we can say their engine woes are behind them.
It's going to be fast, Hamlin cracked over 195 for the pole.
That pesky Kurt Busch keeps hammering that Furniture Row car and is in the mix along with Matt Kenseth again.

Here's the line-up for the 600 :

1 Denny Hamlin
2 Kurt Busch
3 Matt Kenseth
4 Mark Martin
5 Clint Bowyer
6 Kasey Kahne
7 Greg Biffle
8 Kyle Busch
9 Jamie McMurray
10 Ryan Newman
11 Dale Earnhardt Jr
12 Jimmie Johnson
13 Carl Edwards
14 Jeff Gordon
15 Kevin Harvick
16 Juan Pablo Montoya
17 Martin Truex Jr
18 Aric Almirola
19 Marcos Ambrose
20 Brad Keselowski
21 Casey Mears
22 Paul Menard
23 J.J. Yeley
24 Danica Patrick
25 Tony Stewart
26 David Gilliland
27 Jeff Burton
28 Travis Kvapil
29 Trevor Bayne
30 Ricky Stenhouse Jr
31 Joey Logano
32 Michael McDowell
33 Dave Blaney
34 Bobby Labonte
35 David Ragan
36 Regan Smith
37 Scott Speed
38 David Reutimann
39 David Stremme
40 Timmy Hill
41 Joe Nemechek
42 Landon Cassill
43 Josh Wise

Drivers be safe, behave yourselves and enjoy Charlotte !!! :D

Southstander
05-25-2013, 05:58 PM
1,100 miles of racing tomorrow. The Indy 500 and the World 600. Does it get any better?

My Picks are

Marco Andretti
Jimmie Johnson

Peanut
05-25-2013, 09:12 PM
PA, I think AZ has a good point. That has to put stress on them and take their focus away from where it should be.

1,100 miles of racing tomorrow. The Indy 500 and the World 600. Does it get any better?

My Picks are

Marco Andretti
Jimmie Johnson

Add in 161 miles for F1. :D

Sato, Rahal, Hunter-Reay. It'd be cool if de Silvestro won. :D

Kyle Busch, Logano.

Southstander
05-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Next the World 600.

Southstander
05-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Well I went 0 for 2 on my predictions.

roushmartin6
05-27-2013, 04:48 PM
I missed a good chunk of the race (including Mark getting wrecked again) because the FOX station went out. Not that it matters, Mark got wrecked again. This season has been terrible and I'm just waiting for football to come back

Southstander
05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Hey roushmartin6, how Many years do you think Mark will race?

roushmartin6
05-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Hey roushmartin6, how Many years do you think Mark will race?

I honestly don't know. He was supposed to retire back in 2005 lol. Sounds like he won't be back with MWR next year but he says he wants to race. I hoping he gets the 4th Gibbs car going lol. I know he can still drive, he should have won several races last year but just had ungodly bad luck. This year he can qualify up front but they can't get the balance right and the pit crew isn't helping either, just very frustrating.

Peanut
05-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I honestly don't know. He was supposed to retire back in 2005 lol. Sounds like he won't be back with MWR next year but he says he wants to race. I hoping he gets the 4th Gibbs car going lol. I know he can still drive, he should have won several races last year but just had ungodly bad luck. This year he can qualify up front but they can't get the balance right and the pit crew isn't helping either, just very frustrating.

I have several "Farewell Mark Martin" towels that they handed out at Dover that year. :D

I think it makes it harder when they have multiple drivers for one team. I understand why Waltrip does it, I just think it's a challenge for the team to gel.

Going to Dover tomorrow for the Truck race and our yearly get-together with some ladies from NY. Going Saturday for the NW race. Still praying that it gets cooler than the 90 degrees they're forecasting (for both days). It gets so hot up in the stands.

Oh, I have another favorite driver. Kyle Larsen. Anybody that can do donuts with the steering wheel hanging out of the window is cool with me. :D Stewart has given him some serious props.

roushmartin6
05-30-2013, 10:55 PM
I have several "Farewell Mark Martin" towels that they handed out at Dover that year. :D

I think it makes it harder when they have multiple drivers for one team. I understand why Waltrip does it, I just think it's a challenge for the team to gel.

Going to Dover tomorrow for the Truck race and our yearly get-together with some ladies from NY. Going Saturday for the NW race. Still praying that it gets cooler than the 90 degrees they're forecasting (for both days). It gets so hot up in the stands.

Oh, I have another favorite driver. Kyle Larsen. Anybody that can do donuts with the steering wheel hanging out of the window is cool with me. :D Stewart has given him some serious props.

Yea I've been impressed with Kyle Larsen so far. Never heard of him before his Daytona wreck but he can drive! Looks like Ganassi finally has a good driver in his stable now.

AZ Snake Fan
05-31-2013, 02:09 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
Have fun Peanut !!! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fast Friday: Dover

The top ten practice times were all within + or - .500 of 159 mph.
Cup practice lasted 1 1/2 hours followed by the NWS practice for 2 1/2 hours.
By the time the Cup quals started at 3 pm EST, the track was loaded with rubber.
Combined with hot temps, it made a very slick track and quals were really squirrely.
Johnson was fastest in practice but couldn't stick it in the quals.
Everyone was loose and qual times were way down from practice times.
Truck race is getting ready to start now, should be wild, the track is still hot.
When the track cools off all that rubber will stick to the trucks' hot tires. :eek:
~~~
Toyos dominated the top ten again at Dover
Last week at Charlotte was an endurance test for engines, no plates and no gear reduction.
Had several motor issues but they were all across the mfg board equally.
~~~
Todays quals are important not just because of line up and field position
but because pit road is so very narrow and so hard to get onto off the track.
The best pit spots will have an advantage for the drivers and crews.
So, here is the line up for Dover:

1 Denny Hamlin
2 Martin Truex Jr.
3 Kyle Busch
4 Matt Kenseth
5 Ryan Newman
6 Mark Martin
7 Kevin Harvick
8 Brad Keselowski
9 Joey Logano
10 Jamie McMurray
11 Kasey Kahne
12 Dale Earnhardt Jr.
13 Kurt Busch
14 Juan Pablo Montoya
15 Clint Bowyer
16 Paul Menard
17 Casey Mears
18 Carl Edwards
19 Greg Biffle
20 Jeff Gordon
21 Landon Cassill
22 Tony Stewart
23 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
24 Jimmie Johnson
25 Austin Dillon
26 Bobby Labonte
27 David Reutimann
28 David Gilliland
29 Jeff Burton
30 Marcos Ambrose
31 Michael McDowell
32 Mike Bliss
33 Aric Almirola
34 David Stremme
35 David Ragan
36 Joe Nemechek
37 Dave Blaney
38 Travis Kvapil
39 Danica Patrick
40 J.J. Yeley
41 Josh Wise
42 Timmy Hill #
43 Scott Riggs

~~~
Drivers be safe, behave yourselves and enjoy the Monster Mile in Dover. :D

Peanut
05-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Larson, with an "o". I thought I saw it with an "e". Yes, things like that bother me. :D

It was hot, but we had a constant breeze that made it bearable. I've got some good pictures of Kyle's burnout.

I would wear a Kyle Larson shirt tomorrow but couldn't find one. Not even the NASCAR store has one. Not on eBay, either. I thought they had everything.

Thanks, AZ. It was fun. Hopefully, we get that breeze again tomorrow.

Go Kyles! :D

Southstander
06-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Bet I know someone happy about today's race....

BroncosFanInPA
06-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Bet I know someone happy about today's race....

Yeah i'm happy but also a little bit shocked that he pulled it off considering how poorly he has run all season & then suddenly he's battling for a win.

Tough break for Jimmie though & had that not occured then i don't think anybody challenges him & he walks away with another win at Dover but i guess you take then anyway you can.

roushmartin6
06-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Yeah i'm happy but also a little bit shocked that he pulled it off considering how poorly he has run all season & then suddenly he's battling for a win.

Tough break for Jimmie though & had that not occured then i don't think anybody challenges him & he walks away with another win at Dover but i guess you take then anyway you can.

Anytime the 48 gets black flagged I smile. Mark finished in the top 10 and didn't get wrecked so I guess it was an ok race. Got to figure Montoya is going to win an oval soon, he has come close several times.

Peanut
06-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Congrats to Tony! I'm glad he won.

Had fun yesterday at our first NW race. Surprised Kyle Busch took 4 tires today on that last caution after what happened yesterday.

Freyaka
06-03-2013, 05:11 AM
I find it odd that I have on more than one occasion found myself rooting for Montoya...I normally can't stand him but something about his attitude of late has me warming up to the guy. For sure a fun race to watch!

Peanut
06-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Sad for Bobby fans. They say they're not replacing him, but this is kind of the first step. I know they have their reasons, but I find it odd not to put Allmendinger in at Sonoma. Road courser, you know (He didn't crash out twice last week in IndyCar, right? :D )?

Give Bobby a decent car and he'll get it in the top 5-10.

Driver change in the #47 at MIS? MORE: Could #47 JTG/Daugherty Racing be looking to make a driver change at Michigan International Speedway next weekend? Although Bobby Labonte has driven the No. 47 car since 2011, with the team teetering just within the top 30 in owner points, sources tell FOXSports.com that AJ Allmendinger has been approached to fill the seat and offer a fresh opinion. Labonte, who turned 49 on Saturday, has 21 career Sprint Cup wins but has not posted a top-five finish in the car since he debuted with JTG/Daugherty in the 2011 Daytona 500. The 2000 Sprint Cup champion scored top 10 finishes last year at Daytona and Martinsville Speedway but his best result in 2013 was 15th in the Daytona 500. After a busy month of May in the IndyCar Series  including a top 10 finish in the Indy 500  Allmendinger, 31, returns to stock cars this weekend at Pocono Raceway with Phoenix Racing. He will start 18th on Sunday after qualifying was rained out on Friday. Team owner Tad Geschickter could not be immediately reached for comment.(FoxSports)
MORE AJ Allmendinger will replace Bobby Labonte next week at Michigan International Speedway as JTG Daugherty Racing looks for answers for its struggling performance. Labonte is tentatively scheduled to return to the car the following week at Sonoma Raceway. The 2000 Cup champion, Labonte is mired in 28th in the standings with a season-best of 15th at Daytona. Having driven for JTG Daugherty Racing since 2011, Labonte does not have a contract for next season, but team co-owner Tad Geschickter said Saturday that this change is just to get a second opinion. The team does not have sponsorship for five races in 2013 and Allmendinger could run all of those five but that is still to be determined, said team co-owner Brad Daugherty. "We're not replacing Bobby  he's still our driver," Geschickter said. "But we have a few races that we don't have any sponsor activation and it was pretty easy to do (a change and) some benchmarking. The big issue for a single-car team, how else do you benchmark for your car? & Michigan is the only one set in stone (for a change). Bobby will be back in the car at Sonoma. It is just a good opportunity for us to verify what Bobby thinks the main issue is." Allmendinger declined comment on the reports Saturday, deferring to Geschickter.(Sporting News)(6-8-2013)

Freyaka
06-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Sad for Bobby fans. They say they're not replacing him, but this is kind of the first step. I know they have their reasons, but I find it odd not to put Allmendinger in at Sonoma. Road courser, you know (He didn't crash out twice last week in IndyCar, right? :D )?

Give Bobby a decent car and he'll get it in the top 5-10.

Lame.....I'd love to seem him land a quality ride but to be honest I think he's done.

AZ Snake Fan
06-09-2013, 03:03 PM

The aerial shots of Pocono were beautiful.

The TV coverage by TNT was not.
We saw more commercials than laps.
The first two cautions were during commercials.
Self-promo TNT commercials and redundant sponsor ads.
Louis, the manly grill king, McCafe skinny dippers splashing each other etc.
Ridiculous and disappointing. TNT got greedy at the NASCAR fans' expense I say.
TNT showed very little pit road action, the place many races are won or lost.
Whenever the caution came out or green light pit stops began, they went to commercial.
I feel lucky that I was at least able to see the restarts.

Anyone else unhappy with the TNT coverage ?
Give me Fox, ESPN and SPEED.
Take TNT and ...... ;)

Peanut
06-09-2013, 10:16 PM

The aerial shots of Pocono were beautiful.

The TV coverage by TNT was not.
We saw more commercials than laps.
The first two cautions were during commercials.
Self-promo TNT commercials and redundant sponsor ads.
Louis, the manly grill king, McCafe skinny dippers splashing each other etc.
Ridiculous and disappointing. TNT got greedy at the NASCAR fans' expense I say.
TNT showed very little pit road action, the place many races are won or lost.
Whenever the caution came out or green light pit stops began, they went to commercial.
I feel lucky that I was at least able to see the restarts.

Anyone else unhappy with the TNT coverage ?
Give me Fox, ESPN and SPEED.
Take TNT and ...... ;)

It always takes me a few races to get used to the new network.

The thing I didn't like? The ad bar (or whatever it's called) at the top of the screen. Total waste of space. They could have put a logo on the position scrolly thingy (Sorry for getting too technical :D ). It just shortened the viewing area too much.

roushmartin6
06-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Another disappointing finish for Mark after almost winning this race last year. I fell asleep during the race too. That's what I get for staying up till 4 in the morning then getting up at 11:30 to watch the race

Freyaka
06-10-2013, 08:29 AM
It always takes me a few races to get used to the new network.

The thing I didn't like? The ad bar (or whatever it's called) at the top of the screen. Total waste of space. They could have put a logo on the position scrolly thingy (Sorry for getting too technical :D ). It just shortened the viewing area too much.

Yea no joke...I kept trying to adjust my screen thinking " am I not in hd or do I have it set to stretch or something...this can't be all the more actual screen is left over their bar that took over half the space....I hate TNT's coverage, it's a joke and waste of time...

Southstander
06-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Rest in Piece Jason Leffler

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kentucky+Speedway+Day+1+M4aQzuu_iC8l.jpg

Peanut
06-12-2013, 08:11 PM
RIP Jason.

Leffler killed in Sprint Car wreck in NJ: Details are still spotty, but NASCAR Nationwide regular Jason Leffler has been severely injured in a wreck at Bridgeport Speedway in New Jersey. Leffler was racing a Sprint Car at the track's "Night of Wings." While the details of the wreck are still yet to emerge, Leffler apparently flipped in the track's front stretch and, according to eyewitness accounts, was extracted from the car on a board. He was airlifted out of the track via helicopter. The remainder of the night's racing was cancelled. Leffler has spent most of his decade-plus career in the Nationwide series, running full schedules from 2006 to 2011. He has two wins, 42 top fives and 107 top 10s in the Nationwide series. He's also run 73 races in Sprint Cup, most recently at Pocono last week.(Yahoo Sports)
UPDATE: NASCAR driver Jason Leffler died after an accident Wednesday night at a dirt car event at Bridgeport Speedway. The 37-year-old Leffler, a two-time winner on the Nationwide Series, was pronounced dead shortly after 9:00pm/et, New Jersey State Police said..(Associated Press)(6-12-2013)

Frenchy180
06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
So sad... R.I.P. Jason Leffler...

BroncosFanInPA
06-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Woke up & saw this in the paper, very sad news. R.I.P. Jason

roushmartin6
06-13-2013, 10:41 AM
RIP Jason Leffler. Crazy to think that he just start and parked the 19 a few days ago in Pocono......

AZ Snake Fan
06-14-2013, 04:04 PM

RIP Jason Leffler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fast Friday: Michigan 400, 2 mile oval

Practice: first 4 drivers topped 200 mph, next 8 topped 199.
Fast practice overall, 31 drivers topped over 196 mph.
Tony had to switch to a backup car after getting into the wall.
Top 10 fastest in practice this morning on a hot (108), sunny track:
Kahne, Kurt, Almirola, Harvick, Jr., Mark Martin, Truex, JJ, Carl and Austin Dillon.

Qualifying was held this afternoon after the NWS practice.
The track temp was hotter (118) than this morning’s Sprint practice.
Even so, qual times were relatively fast. 22 drivers averaged 2 miles at over 199 mph.
This could be any team’s race for a win that make the right adjustments at the right time.

Line up for the Michigan 400:

1 .Carl Edwards 202.452
2. Kurt Bush 201.879
3. Kasey Kahne 201.213
4. Paul Menard 200.803
5. Aric Almirola 200.764
6. Joey Logano 200.725
7. Austin Dillon 200.630
8. Matt Kenseth 200.568
9. Kyle Busch 200.457
10. Juan Pablo Montoya 200.445
11. Denny Hamlin 200.406
12. Dale Earnhardt Jr. 200.100
13. Martin Truex Jr. 200.050
14. Tony Stewart 199.789
15. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. 199.761
16. Brad Keselowski 199.750
17. Jimmie Johnson 199.689
18. Jeff Burton 199.656
19. Greg Biffle 199.380
20. Bobby Labonte 199.358
21. Kevin Harvick 199.231
22. Mark Martin 199.214
23. Marcos Ambrose 198.692
24. Casey Mears 198.593
25. Trevor Bayne 198.429
26. David Gilliland 198.364
27. Clint Bowyer 198.292
28. Jamie McMurray 198.080
29. Jeff Gordon 197.922
30. Michael McDowell 197.217
31. David Ragan 196.813
32. AJ Allmendinger 196.791
33. David Reutimann 196.276
34. David Stremme 196.266
35. Ryan Newman 195.737
36. Dave Blaney 195.514
37. Danica Patrick 194.900
38. Josh Wise 193.908
39. Ken Schrader 193.092
40. J.J. Yeley 192.962
41. Travis Kvapil 192.833
42. Joe Nemechek 191.990
43. Mike Bliss 187.149

Behave yourselves drivers, be safe and enjoy Michigan

roushmartin6
06-16-2013, 06:40 PM
26th, last car on lead lap. Another disappointing day for Mark Martin fans. At least Jimmie hit the wall lol

Peanut
06-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Good NW race. Congrats to AJ. I like it when my open-wheelers do good.

Papis is funny.

RIP Allan Simonsen

roushmartin6
06-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Glad to see Truex finally win. When Juan ran out of gas, I thought so here is how Truex will lose it this week. Have to work Saturday so I will miss the Kentucky race but I will be listening to it on the internet. Mark isn't running it so I guess it don't matter anyways. Kind of surprised he didn't add this race. I could see when Mikey wanted to run the race but why let Vickers run at a track he hasn't?

FL BRONCO
06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Glad to see Truex finally win. When Juan ran out of gas, I thought so here is how Truex will lose it this week. Have to work Saturday so I will miss the Kentucky race but I will be listening to it on the internet. Mark isn't running it so I guess it don't matter anyways. Kind of surprised he didn't add this race. I could see when Mikey wanted to run the race but why let Vickers run at a track he hasn't?

Yes I thought that too. I was just praying he made, he has had that win coming. Congrats to him, I also felt like Montoya got what he deserved.

Southstander
06-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Said to see Bobby's 704 streak come to an end.

Freyaka
06-25-2013, 09:44 PM

Lame...I think he's just about done anyway at this point...

roushmartin6
06-26-2013, 12:32 AM

I was hoping someone would give him a ride. Only 43 cars entered, you could have easily been in with his past champion provisional. Leavine Family Racing could have entered him, or even Gibbs. If they can field a 4th car for Elliot Sadler, why not Bobby?

Freyaka
06-26-2013, 07:06 AM
I was hoping someone would give him a ride. Only 43 cars entered, you could have easily been in with his past champion provisional. Leavine Family Racing could have entered him, or even Gibbs. If they can field a 4th car for Elliot Sadler, why not Bobby?

No joke right...I think they of all teams owe him for what he's done for them over the years...They wouldn't be the multi-team powerhouse they are today without his consistancy the majority of his time there (not to mention his championship)

Yes Smoke did a lot (that's another I wish would give Bobby a ride...) But he came towards the end after Bobby had already had many years of consistantly being in the top 10 in points.

This is a sad day...it'll be the first time since 1978 that there hasn't been a Labonte in the field...

Peanut
06-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Bobby Labonte's start streak to end at 704: Bobby Labonte's consecutive start streak will come to an end at 704 races. Labonte is not entered in the Quaker State 400 Sprint Cup Series race Saturday night at Kentucky Speedway, which will bring an end to the second-longest active starts streak in NASCAR behind Jeff Gordon's 705 starts. Labonte confirmed his status on a chat with fans on the JTG Daugherty Racing website. "I will not be racing this week," he wrote. "It is disappointing the way it is happening. I have had a couple of offers this morning, but I have declined them because I don't want anybody else that has an opportunity to do what I do, what they love, to have to sit on the sideline for my sake." JTG will use A.J. Allmendinger in the #47 Toyota at Kentucky. Allmendinger drove for the team two weeks ago at Michigan, while Labonte drove the #51 Chevy for Phoenix Racing. Phoenix Racing will use Austin Dillon this weekend, which left Labonte without a seat after two consecutive rough races. Labonte has not missed a start since he began racing full-time in the Cup Series in 1993. He's won 21 races and the 2000 championship while driving for Joe Gibbs Racing. Kentucky will mark the first Cup race without a Labonte in the field since the 1978 season finale at Ontario. Older brother Terry Labonte has 884 starts. Ricky Rudd holds the NASCAR record of 788 consecutive starts.(Associated Press), see the full list of consecutive starts on my All-Time NASCAR Sprint Cup Starts page.(6-26-2013)

The bolded: That is class.

Freyaka
06-26-2013, 08:24 PM
The bolded: That is class.

Yea it really is....too bad some team wouldn't have created a ride for him instead of asking someone else to sit out in his place...

Freyaka
06-30-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm growing rather tired of Johnson's whining about every other drivers restarts....waaaa dude....

I'll never grow tired however of him screwing himself out of a race win!!! I will give him this, that was a dang impressive save and comeback to get a top 10 position.

roushmartin6
07-01-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm growing rather tired of Johnson's whining about every other drivers restarts....waaaa dude....

I'll never grow tired however of him screwing himself out of a race win!!! I will give him this, that was a dang impressive save and comeback to get a top 10 position.

Yea Jimmie should worry about his own car first

Southstander
07-06-2013, 10:55 PM
My boy Jimmie win the Firecracker 400.

roushmartin6
07-07-2013, 12:41 AM
My boy Jimmie win the Firecracker 400.

I was hoping someone like Kurt, or Mikey would jump up there and steal another one lol

roushmartin6
07-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Denny Hamlin should really think about calling it a season. His chances of being a wild card are very slim now and he keeps taking some huge hits. He should take the rest of the year off, get the surgery, and come back 100%. I know Mark and Dale Sr. had back surgery around 2000 and they said they didn't realize how bad they hurt till they had surgery, I really think that's why Denny is struggling.

Freyaka
07-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Denny Hamlin should really think about calling it a season. His chances of being a wild card are very slim now and he keeps taking some huge hits. He should take the rest of the year off, get the surgery, and come back 100%. I know Mark and Dale Sr. had back surgery around 2000 and they said they didn't realize how bad they hurt till they had surgery, I really think that's why Denny is struggling.

Speaking of Mark....what the heck was that on his face this week?

BroncosFanInPA
07-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Well i got to go to the Nascar Hall Of Fame over the weekend as we went to my sister's place down in North Carolina over the 4th of July weekend & had a good time, lots of really cool things in that place & i will try to post some of the pictures we took when i get a chance.

And then of course watched the race later that night & what can i say other than it was your typical restrictor plate race, calm & not much going on for the first 70-80% of the race & then just as i sat & watched & told my brother-in-law, the wrecking would start, sure enough it did.

I even said after the final restart they were most likely not done crashing & just imagine what happens? :confused: they all make it back to the start finish line in one piece you say? :doh: :duh: NO CHANCE! :laugh: We all knew how it would end & it's really a shame the amount of cars that always end up tore up at the plate races.

But hey they always produce the wild & crazy nail biting finishes that don't usually occur any other time. :rockon:

Ayway i thought for sure Smoke had the winning move coming around turn 3 & 4 & would have won the july race for the 5th time but he just didn't quite get there but it was ceratinly a good points day jumpimg from 16th to 10th & man are the points so tight from 9th back to 20th & it's gonna be very entertaing to see wo gets in & who is left out.

Peanut
07-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Glad you had a good weekend. Looking forward to the pictures.

roushmartin6
07-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Lol don't know what you are talking about. I must have missed it

roushmartin6
07-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Well i got to go to the Nascar Hall Of Fame over the weekend as we went to my sister's place down in North Carolina over the 4th of July weekend & had a good time, lots of really cool things in that place & i will try to post some of the pictures we took when i get a chance.

And then of course watched the race later that night & what can i say other than it was your typical restrictor plate race, calm & not much going on for the first 70-80% of the race & then just as i sat & watched & told my brother-in-law, the wrecking would start, sure enough it did.

I even said after the final restart they were most likely not done crashing & just imagine what happens? :confused: they all make it back to the start finish line in one piece you say? :doh: :duh: NO CHANCE! :laugh: We all knew how it would end & it's really a shame the amount of cars that always end up tore up at the plate races.

But hey they always produce the wild & crazy nail biting finishes that don't usually occur any other time. :rockon:

Ayway i thought for sure Smoke had the winning move coming around turn 3 & 4 & would have won the july race for the 5th time but he just didn't quite get there but it was ceratinly a good points day jumpimg from 16th to 10th & man are the points so tight from 9th back to 20th & it's gonna be very entertaing to see wo gets in & who is left out.

I want to go to the Hall of Fame someday. Its a shame it doesn't make as much money as it should, because honestly, the videos and pictures I've seen of it, it looks amazing. I want to see a plate race someday too. So far I've been to the Bristol Night race in 2005 (back when tickets were hard to get) and Chicagoland in 2009 when Mark spanked the field (my dad is still mad that he didn't go cause his favorite driver is Mark as well).

BroncosFanInPA
07-14-2013, 06:38 PM
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4206.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4206.jpg.html)

Me & my brother-in-law doing the pit challenge
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4240.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4240.jpg.html)

Me & my oldest son
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4210.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4210.jpg.html)

Standing on the 36 degree banking, it's very steep lol!
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4216.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4216.jpg.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4214.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4214.jpg.html)

BroncosFanInPA
07-14-2013, 06:46 PM
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4236.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4236.jpg.html)

This was neat, it showed the difference in stiffness of springs
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4234.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4234.jpg.html)

Of course i had to get a pic of one of his cars lol!
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4229.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4229.jpg.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4227.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4227.jpg.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4207.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4207.jpg.html)

BroncosFanInPA
07-14-2013, 06:55 PM
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4213.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4213.jpg.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4217.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4217.jpg.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4221.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4221.jpg.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4231.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4231.jpg.html)

This was cool, it was actually a race simulator that you sat in real cars & raced against others on a video game type screen
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/DSCN4242.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/DSCN4242.jpg.html)

BroncosFanInPA
07-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Well that's some of the pictures we got, we could have gotten alot more & spent all day in there but it was starting to get really crowded as the day went on so we headed out after a couple hours but had a good time.

Now about the race today :( very disapponting way to end it but i kept telling myself when he didn't pit with everyone else at lap 219 that it was gonna come back & bite them, even with all those cautions i just knew he would run out but hoped i was wrong.

So even though i was prepared it still sucks, but it was nice to see Vickers get the win, he can race & i'm really shocked nobody has picked him up for a full time ride that last couple years but i would say he has it locked in now & good for him. :salute:

The points are so darn tight right now that the race for the wildcard is gonna come down to the last race at Richmond until we know, perhaps the final lap, should be exciting.

Peanut
07-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Well that's some of the pictures we got, we could have gotten alot more & spent all day in there but it was starting to get really crowded as the day went on so we headed out after a couple hours but had a good time.

Now about the race today :( very disapponting way to end it but i kept telling myself when he didn't pit with everyone else at lap 219 that it was gonna come back & bite them, even with all those cautions i just knew he would run out but hoped i was wrong.

So even though i was prepared it still sucks, but it was nice to see Vickers get the win, he can race & i'm really shocked nobody has picked him up for a full time ride that last couple years but i would say he has it locked in now & good for him. :salute:

The points are so darn tight right now that the race for the wildcard is gonna come down to the last race at Richmond until we know, perhaps the final lap, should be exciting.

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

They would have looked brilliant if Tony had pulled it off. Hard to rely on caution laps, though. I'd rather pit with 60-70 to go and be able to race full out. But they don't pay me the big money. :D

Next truck race should be good. Dirt!

roushmartin6
07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the great pictures. I really want to go there someday. Also congrats to Vickers for winning today's race. Didn't expect that at all. At one point he was 31st a lap down

darth-hideous
07-15-2013, 02:34 AM

Well I was smiling all weekend but wasn't aware it was televised...:)

BroncosFanInPA
07-17-2013, 07:09 PM
So am i the only one who thinks the whole situation with Harvick joining Stewart-Haas & Newman basicly being kicked to the curb is so messed up?

I'm mean seriously your gonna keep Danica over Newman? :confused: Yes i get it, it's business & she brings in the sponsorship that Ryan can't, but shouldn't performance count for anything?

Let's face it, other than restrictor plate races she is not capable of winning races, in fact she can't even run in the top 20 & while Newman isn't exactly lighting the world on fire, he is capable of winning any given race & getting into the chase but i guess none of that matters. :rolleyes:

Well i guess it is what it is but i think it's a bunch of crap when the money is more of a factor than your performance, so i would say i lost a little bit of respect for tony & the decision he has made.

roushmartin6
07-17-2013, 07:11 PM
So am i the only one who thinks the whole situation with Harvick joining Stewart-Haas & Newman basicly being kicked to the curb is so messed up?

I'm mean seriously your gonna keep Danica over Newman? :confused: Yes i get it, it's business & she brings in the sponsorship that Ryan can't, but shouldn't performance count for anything?

Let's face it, other than restrictor plate races she is not capable of winning races, in fact she can't even run in the top 20 & while Newman isn't exactly lighting the world on fire, he is capable of winning any given race & getting into the chase but i guess none of that matters. :rolleyes:

Well i guess it is what it is but i think it's a bunch of crap when the money is more of a factor than your performance, so i would say i lost a little bit of respect for tony & the decision he has made.

I agree but their whole team has run like crap this year. I think Newman will get the better deal getting out of there and going to someone else where the focus isn't on the boss's car

Peanut
07-17-2013, 09:01 PM

They probably had to promise her a lot when they signed her. Fire the most popular driver in NASCAR? Unthinkable. Sponsorship money probably has the most to do with it, though.

Just a side note. Patrick's old ride in IndyCar has won three races this year. Different number (27 instead of 7), but it's the same car, sponsor and team.

AZ Snake Fan
07-18-2013, 06:39 PM

A "new" ride for Newman will ultimately be best for him ala Matt Kenseth.
Too much pressure from NASCAR on SHR to showcase Danica.

Newman has been the best over all performer on that team so far this year.
He has been flirting in the top 10, getting wrecked a lot like last week.
(btw, anyone else grin when Danica took out Ricky last week ?)

Newman will land on his feet and do well, I wish him the best, sadly, it's just business.

~~~
Gripe:
I have always disliked the change to the Sprint Cup final "Chase".
Wish we still had the Winston Cup, grew up with it.

BroncosFanInPA
07-18-2013, 07:05 PM
I agree but their whole team has run like crap this year. I think Newman will get the better deal getting out of there and going to someone else where the focus isn't on the boss's car

They probably had to promise her a lot when they signed her. Fire the most popular driver in NASCAR? Unthinkable. Sponsorship money probably has the most to do with it, though.

Just a side note. Patrick's old ride in IndyCar has won three races this year. Different number (27 instead of 7), but it's the same car, sponsor and team.

Newman will land on his feet and do well, I wish him the best, sadly, it's just business.
~~~
Gripe:

You all make some really good points there & i guess i never thought about what type of contract Danica was given, so when you think of all that i guess she wouldn't be going anywhere "yet" but i have to believe if her performance doesn't improve from this year to next then you start thinking about letting her go when her deal is done.

As for Newman, i wish him well also but i'm just not sure he will have as good of an oppurtunity as Kenseth did, Matt went to an established championship caliber team & organization. There doesn't seem to be many openings this year unlike in years past when all kind of rides would open up, seems like not much movement taking place this year.

Freyaka
07-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but Harvick is taking newmans ride correct? He's going to do well with that team I think.

Peanut
07-18-2013, 09:21 PM

~~~
Gripe:

Yes. :D

Agree about the Chase. But like all things in life, I've gotten used to it. I tell hubby, "Just let me complain".

You all make some really good points there & i guess i never thought about what type of contract Danica was given, so when you think of all that i guess she wouldn't be going anywhere "yet" but i have to believe if her performance doesn't improve from this year to next then you start thinking about letting her go when her deal is done.

As for Newman, i wish him well also but i'm just not sure he will have as good of an oppurtunity as Kenseth did, Matt went to an established championship caliber team & organization. There doesn't seem to be many openings this year unlike in years past when all kind of rides would open up, seems like not much movement taking place this year.

I think it's going to take a lot for them to let her go. As long as she's showing "improvement", they'll tolerate it. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if she made the change to another team. Blame-shifting, you know? "It's not me, it's the equipment/CC/whatever".

I hope Newman finds a great ride. Kenseth is so much happier with JGR. Gibbs.....Roush. I can see why. :D

roushmartin6
07-21-2013, 12:53 PM

I've heard Roush wants to get back to four cars, Newman +Sponsorship might be a good combination, especially if he can bring Matt Bourland with him

BroncosFanInPA
07-23-2013, 05:12 PM
So who's ready to see the truck race tom.night racing on the dirt at Eldora Speedway? Should be very intersting to see how this race goes, i could see alot of cautions & alot of spins.

Should be some good entertainment & who knows if it goes well maybe they could someday get the cup cars out there, i know Tony is all for it & i think alot of the drivers would be down with trying it.

BFE
07-23-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm glad to see Harvick going to SHR,he and smoke will work great together,oh by the way,I'm a #29 Bud fan!!!

BroncosFanInPA
07-23-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm glad to see Harvick going to SHR,he and smoke will work great together,oh by the way,I'm a #29 Bud fan!!!

Cool, you should post more in this thread, we need some more nascar fans posting :thumb:

roushmartin6
07-23-2013, 06:50 PM
So who's ready to see the truck race tom.night racing on the dirt at Eldora Speedway? Should be very intersting to see how this race goes, i could see alot of cautions & alot of spins.

Should be some good entertainment & who knows if it goes well maybe they could someday get the cup cars out there, i know Tony is all for it & i think alot of the drivers would be down with trying it.

Can't wait to see it, a lot of these guys are out of their element. Can't wait to see if a guy like Scott Bloomquist can steal one. I also laughed when they said John Wes Townley hit the wall, I was like, he does this on pavement, are they really surprised?

AZ Snake Fan
07-24-2013, 04:39 PM

Watching the qual races now.
This track is wild !!!
Love it, ol' man Ken has the pole !

roushmartin6
07-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Fantastic race, the best one we will see all year. Nascar needs Sprint Cup at a dirt track *cough* *Knoxville* cough

Peanut
07-24-2013, 09:52 PM

Watching the qual races now.
This track is wild !!!
Love it, ol' man Ken has the pole !

Wasn't that fun!

Tony looked so happy. I thought it was cool that he went down the line, talking to all the drivers right before they went on the track.

Fantastic race, the best one we will see all year. Nascar needs Sprint Cup at a dirt track *cough* *Knoxville* cough

I was thinking about Cup on dirt. It seems like it would have to be bigger than half a mile. It would be fun/entertaining.

roushmartin6
07-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Wasn't that fun!

Tony looked so happy. I thought it was cool that he went down the line, talking to all the drivers right before they went on the track.

I was thinking about Cup on dirt. It seems like it would have to be bigger than half a mile. It would be fun/entertaining.

I think a half mile could work. Bristol and Martinsville are that size. Eldora and Knoxville are plenty wide for the cup cars, I think it would be great. Tonight's race was truly a treat to watch and just plain exciting. Norm Benning drove the wheels off his truck to get in, then flips the bird to Greenfield was priceless lol

Peanut
07-24-2013, 11:53 PM
I think a half mile could work. Bristol and Martinsville are that size. Eldora and Knoxville are plenty wide for the cup cars, I think it would be great. Tonight's race was truly a treat to watch and just plain exciting. Norm Benning drove the wheels off his truck to get in, then flips the bird to Greenfield was priceless lol

Even with all the sliding? I just thought a bigger track might be better.

I just re-watched Tokyo Drift last week. :D

theMileHighGuy
07-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Even with all the sliding? I just thought a bigger track might be better.

I just re-watched Tokyo Drift last week. :D

Lol I just watched that too, it was on Spike I think :clap:

I guess you have to think of it as a distant sequel to the newer ones since Han is still alive and kicking in those. The new one was my favorite in the series it was fantastic.

Peanut
07-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Lol I just watched that too, it was on Spike I think :clap:

I guess you have to think of it as a distant sequel to the newer ones since Han is still alive and kicking in those. The new one was my favorite in the series it was fantastic.

Yes, it was.

I haven't seen the new one, yet.

Fast cars make me happy. :D

BroncosFanInPA
07-25-2013, 06:29 PM
I too thought it was a great race & very exciting to watch. And absoulutely they need to get the cup cars on the dirt. :thumb:

Wasn't that fun!

Yeah i'm sure Tony was just so overjoyed to be hosting such a great & historic race but i'm sure alot went into this event, from getting this race there & then making sure everything was right, must have been a real treat for him.

And as far as the cup cars on that size dirt track, i think it could work, i mean look how long those guys raced last night without an incident. I like many thought there would be alot of cautions & spins but there wasn't. It was a really good race & hopefully we see more to come.

Southstander
07-25-2013, 08:08 PM
1 Jimmie Johnson 696 --
2 Clint Bowyer 640
3 Carl Edwards 623
4 Kevin Harvick 622
5 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 578
6 Matt Kenseth 576
7 Kyle Busch 576
8 Greg Biffle 545
9 Brad Keselowski 529
10 Kasey Kahne 523

Southstander
07-25-2013, 08:09 PM
I am excited for the Brickyard this Sunday.

Peanut
07-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Good article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eldora-sprint-cup-stars-dreaming-190300708--nascar.html

roushmartin6
07-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Congrats to Newman for winning the Brickyard. Now who signs him for their 4th car next year? Roush or Childress?

Southstander
07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
I was hoping Johnson would win today's race... Oh well.

Southstander
08-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Smoke will miss Sunday's race do to a broken leg.

Peanut
08-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Smoke will miss Sunday's race do to a broken leg.

Stewart breaks leg in Sprint Car race, will miss Watkins Glen: Three-time NASCAR champion #14-Tony Stewart will miss this weekend's road course race at Watkins Glen after breaking his right leg in a sprint car race Monday night at Southern Iowa Speedway. A spokesman for Stewart said the 42-year-old driver broke his right tibia and fibula and had surgery after he was transported to a local hospital. An update was expected Tuesday afternoon, and Stewart-Haas Racing did not immediately announce a replacement driver for Stewart's #14 Chevrolet at Watkins Glen, where Stewart is a five-time winner. The team did cancel its scheduled Tuesday test at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The sprint car accident came a day after Stewart finished ninth in the NASCAR race at Pocono Raceway. He's 11th in the Sprint Cup standings with five races to go until the Chase for the Cup field is set. Missing the Watkins Glen race means Stewart likely will miss the Chase. Stewart was leading the 30-lap feature in a 360 winged sprint car with five laps remaining when a lapped car spun in Turn 4 and collected Stewart and two others.(ESPN/Associated Press)(8-6-2013)

He'll be lucky if it's just one race. I know they're tough guys, but 2 breaks?

BroncosFanInPA
08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Well this just flat out sucks!! :ugh: But as much as he races outside of nascar, i just knew it was only a matter of time but he was only doing what he loves to do.

And he really is free to do it now since he is basicly his own boss, when he was at gibbs he probably was scaled back on what he did but now, he can do what he wants when he wants.

It still doesn't make it any easier to accept because his season is likely now ruined & it really could not have come at a worse time, heading to Watkins Glen, his best track with 5 wins. :sad:

Oh well what's done is done, so let's just hope for a full & speedy recovery but i honestly can't see him back in the car for at least a month or two.

Get well Smoke :salute:

Peanut
08-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Zipadelli talks about Stewart: Greg Zipadelli, Competition Director, Stewart-Haas Racing discussed #14-Tony Stewart's condition with the media Wednesday morning. A few notes:
• There currently is no timeline for Stewart's recovery or return. They will know more after the second surgery is completed;
• The team will "absolutely" need a substitute driver for at least the next 2-3 races;
• They are talking to candidates to fill in, but don't have a timeline for an announcement; possibly in the next day or so;
• Zipadelli says that as many races as Tony runs the team is lucky that this is the first time they are having to deal with this issue;
• Stewart Haas will evaluate what races Stewart competes in going forward, but there will not necessarily be any changes.
• Stewart's sponsors: "They're all disappointed and we understand that."(8-7-2013)

I really thought missing only one race was being optimistic. I hope he heals quickly.

roushmartin6
08-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Feel bad for smoke but those are the risks drivers take when they race in anything but Sprint Cup

Southstander
08-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Well this just flat out sucks!! :ugh: But as much as he races outside of nascar, i just knew it was only a matter of time but he was only doing what he loves to do.

And he really is free to do it now since he is basicly his own boss, when he was at gibbs he probably was scaled back on what he did but now, he can do what he wants when he wants.

It still doesn't make it any easier to accept because his season is likely now ruined & it really could not have come at a worse time, heading to Watkins Glen, his best track with 5 wins. :sad:

Oh well what's done is done, so let's just hope for a full & speedy recovery but i honestly can't see him back in the car for at least a month or two.

As soon as I heard about this I thought of you. I knew it would upset you.

Freyaka
08-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Well he's still not out, but he's going to have to start winning races when he gets back and he can't be out very long anything more than 3 weeks and he's toast at this point in the year.. He really should be banking on his driver (newman) making a championship run instead since his odds of making the chase just increased dramatically. Newman gets another win or two and he'll be sitting nicely.

BroncosFanInPA
08-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Well he's still not out, but he's going to have to start winning races when he gets back and he can't be out very long anything more than 3 weeks and he's toast at this point in the year.. He really should be banking on his driver (newman) making a championship run instead since his odds of making the chase just increased dramatically. Newman gets another win or two and he'll be sitting nicely.

I was thinking about this yesterday & although it seems far fetched & perhaps a bit of wishful thinking, your right about his chances at the chase not being over just yet but yes if he misses more than 3 races it would be nearly impossible but if it's 3 races, he still would have a shot & this is how...

Right now Tony is 89 points in front of 21st Stenhouse & 94 points ahead of 22nd Ambrose. So with the current point system of 1 point per position here are a couple scenarios to keep slim hope...

so let's say it's 3 races he is out, either Stenhouse or Ambrose would need to average a 14th place finish over those 3 races, 14th = 30 points so if they did that it would only put them about the same poinnts with still 2 races left, even if they had 3 finishes of 10th (not likely for either) they would only be around 10 or 12 points in front of Tony.

if it's 4 races smoke misses, alot harder but still hope because even then either stenhouse or ambrose would need to average 19th or better over those 4 races to score 100 points or more, 19th = 25 points.

Now all of this would also depend on no other driver between 11th & 20th getting 2 wins & in all likelihood Stewart would probably need to win Richmond unless there would only be one other driver with a win from 11th to 20th.

I know it sounds like i'm just grasping at straws & hoping but that would give him a month off & could you just imagine if he was able to come back for Richmond & have a scenario like Jeremy Mayfield a few years back, win to get in. Just imagine the drama, it would be made for tv entertaiment. lol!

So i guess to sum it up, until he misses the cutoff race at Richmond then i will hold out some hope but at the same time realize it's not likely he will be back that soon.

roushmartin6
08-12-2013, 12:33 AM
For the haters of road courses, you need to check your vision. The road courses are some of the best races anymore and today was no exception. Feel bad for Marcos and Jeff Gordon. Marcos's car was a bullet till something broke on it, he makes it look so easy. As for Jeff, he seriously sounded like he wanted to cry in his interview. Got to think he is really thinking about retirement. Also Michael McDowell was doing great for Front Row till the rear end broke.

Freyaka
08-12-2013, 02:25 AM
For the haters of road courses, you need to check your vision. The road courses are some of the best races anymore and today was no exception. Feel bad for Marcos and Jeff Gordon. Marcos's car was a bullet till something broke on it, he makes it look so easy. As for Jeff, he seriously sounded like he wanted to cry in his interview. Got to think he is really thinking about retirement. Also Michael McDowell was doing great for Front Row till the rear end broke.

It was a great race for sure, I wish they'd add like 2-3 more road courses a year. Like Road America or the track in Mexico or the one in Canada that the nationwide series races on.

Peanut
08-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I love road courses. It would be nice if they added more. I think it really shows a driver's skill (or lack of :D ). Some of the drivers have surprised me. Some have shown a great improvement.

BroncosFanInPA
08-12-2013, 04:55 PM
I love road courses. It would be nice if they added more. I think it really shows a driver's skill (or lack of :D ). Some of the drivers have surprised me. Some have shown a great improvement.

I totally agree, there should be more road course races on the schedule, maybe 4 is a good number & certainly one in the chase, there are plenty of tracks that hold two races & if one of them was taken away, i don't think it would break too many hearts.

Like Pocono or Michigan. :yawn:

BroncosFanInPA
08-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Looks like Austin Dillion will be in the #14 this week, what an opportunity for the youngster to get in a great ride.

KANNAPOLIS, N.C., (Aug. 12, 2013) – As NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Tony Stewart continues to recover from a broken right tibia and fibula suffered in a sprint car crash Aug. 5 at Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa, Iowa, Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) continues to field his No. 14 Chevrolet SS in the Sprint Cup Series.

After veteran racer Max Papis drove the No. 14 Chevrolet to a 15th-place finish Sunday at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International to maintain the team’s 11th-place standing in the Sprint Cup Series owner championship, SHR has named 23-year-old Austin Dillon interim driver of the No. 14 Mobil 1/Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet for the Pure Michigan 400 event Aug. 16-18 at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn.

Dillon is the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion and competes full-time in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, where he currently leads the championship standings. He has two Nationwide Series wins and five Camping World Truck Series victories, the most recent of which came July 24 in the inaugural CarCash Mudsummer Classic presented by CNBC Prime’s “The Profit” at Eldora Speedway in Rossurg, Ohio, which is owned by Stewart. The Pure Michigan 400 will mark Dillon’s 10th career Sprint Cup start.

“I’ve watched Austin for many years and at each stage of his racing career he’s been successful,” Stewart said. “He’s proven to be a very fast learner, and he’s able to adapt quickly. Being the youngest champion in the history of the Truck Series is proof of that. His background in dirt racing is an asset, and off the track we share many of the same interests, specifically, hunting and fishing. I know he’ll perform well at Michigan and I’m just as confident in his ability to properly represent Mobil 1 and Bass Pro Shops throughout the race weekend.”

SHR has not determined who the interim driver of the No. 14 Chevrolet will be for the Sprint Cup Series’ following race Aug. 24 at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway.

While no timetable has been established for Stewart’s return to the No. 14 Chevrolet, the three-time Sprint Cup champion was discharged from the hospital late Sunday afternoon.

Southstander
08-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Juan Pablo Montoya will not be back with Earnhardt Ganassi in 2014.

roushmartin6
08-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Juan Pablo Montoya will not be back with Earnhardt Ganassi in 2014.

Kind of shocking since him and Gannassi have been together for a while. I don't think he is the whole problem, they haven't been good since they left Dodge. Wonder if anyone will sign Juan? His mouth and attitude might make owner shy away.

roushmartin6
08-13-2013, 11:34 PM
I totally agree, there should be more road course races on the schedule, maybe 4 is a good number & certainly one in the chase, there are plenty of tracks that hold two races & if one of them was taken away, i don't think it would break too many hearts.

Like Pocono or Michigan. :yawn:

Add another road course and a dirt track and the schedule gets a little more exciting. Even if they ran the Daytona road course it would be more exciting.

Peanut
08-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Saw this on quals today. I thought PA would like it.

http://cdn3.vnexttech.com/tonystewart/slider/2053/-smoke.jpg

roushmartin6
08-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Saw this on quals today. I thought PA would like it.

http://cdn3.vnexttech.com/tonystewart/slider/2053/-smoke.jpg

Awesome touch by the crew!

Freyaka
08-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Kind of shocking since him and Gannassi have been together for a while. I don't think he is the whole problem, they haven't been good since they left Dodge. Wonder if anyone will sign Juan? His mouth and attitude might make owner shy away.

I've actually been rather impressed by both this season, I don't think it'll be an issue. I'm gonna call it now, Kurt Busch will go in the 42, Juan to the 78.

This season seems to be all about swaping rides, Harvick to 39 Newman to 29...

Could also see Juan taking over the 83 or 93 also. That team needs a competitive driver because what they have in there now is not great.

Rumor has it Terry Labonte is in talks to buy the 51 from Finch. If this happens look for Bobby Labonte to be driving that next year, 47 is looking to switch to Chevy and form an alliance with RCR so they are going to be looking to put a more competitive driver in there. 47 for that matter could be a potential landing spot for Juan.

roushmartin6
08-18-2013, 05:57 PM
So close, 3 laps to go an no caution of course. Man this has been a disappointing season

BroncosFanInPA
08-18-2013, 06:21 PM
So close, 3 laps to go an no caution of course. Man this has been a disappointing season

I was hoping Mark would have made it & got the win, he was alot closer than i think everyone thought he would get.

P.S. Rumor has it that Mark may be getinng in the #14 until Tony is ready to come back but haven't heard nothing official, just rumor.

AZ Snake Fan
08-18-2013, 08:02 PM

I also heard that Mark Martin may ride in the 14 car next week.
It's down to a contract negotiation to make it possible.
~~~
I'm not so sure Kurt will leave the 78 team.
Kurt has been driving the wheels off of that 78 car.
They have come a long way and are at the cusp.
They all have been working together so hard.
I think that Kurt will stick with them. Loyalty.
~~~
The 29 car would be great for Newman.
Hope EGR signs him.
~~~
Newman will land a good ride I'm sure.
Not too sure about Montoya.
Not that many good rides opening up.
Vickers is taking the #55 ride.
I think Mark Martin will get the 42 car.
Mark has experience and can still get on the wheel.
Plus Mark has a great attitude and doesn't mouth off. ;)

roushmartin6
08-18-2013, 10:12 PM
I hope Mark gets in Tony's car, he might be able to help them find what they are missing, kind of like AJ with the 47 car. Mark showed today he can get it done if the car is right.

Southstander
08-18-2013, 11:01 PM
As much as I hate to say this but I do not think Jeff Gordon will win another Cup Title. His stablemate Jimmie Johnson has been dominate the past seven to eight years and loos to keep doing the same for te foreseeable future. Add in the new young talent and other cagey veterians his window is all but closed.

roushmartin6
08-18-2013, 11:10 PM
As much as I hate to say this but I do not think Jeff Gordon will win another Cup Title. His stablemate Jimmie Johnson has been dominate the past seven to eight years and loos to keep doing the same for te foreseeable future. Add in the new young talent and other cagey veterians his window is all but closed.

Yea, I see Jeff only racing a few more years to be honest. I can't see him going the Mark Martin route and racing till he just can't do it anymore lol. As much as I hate Jimmie, he is honestly the Richard Petty of our generation and will go down as one of the top 3 in history.

Southstander
08-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Yea, I see Jeff only racing a few more years to be honest. I can't see him going the Mark Martin route and racing till he just can't do it anymore lol. As much as I hate Jimmie, he is honestly the Richard Petty of our generation and will go down as one of the top 3 in history.

I am also a huge Johnson fan, I think if he keeps winning the way he has been he just might pass Earnhardt and be the number two driver of all time. He is on pace (if he has not already) to pass Dale on the All time win list, 7 Cups is with in his reach, he already has won the Daytona 500 more times. The problem he will have is that Earnhardt is so beloved in the sport and he has a lot of fans that hate him so he has a major uphill battle to overcome biased fans.

roushmartin6
08-19-2013, 12:03 AM
I am also a huge Johnson fan, I think if he keeps winning the way he has been he just might pass Earnhardt and be the number two driver of all time. He is on pace (if he has not already) to pass Dale on the All time win list, 7 Cups is with in his reach, he already has won the Daytona 500 more times. The problem he will have is that Earnhardt is so beloved in the sport and he has a lot of fans that hate him so he has a major uphill battle to overcome biased fans.

Wins maybe but the cups may be hard, look how Jeff stalled out, but if anyone can do it, its probably Jimmie. Maybe someday when Jimmie fades out like Jeff, people will quit hating him as much and hate the new guy (probably Kyle Larson, that kid is GOOD).

Freyaka
08-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Poor Mark man....I was kinda pulling for him though I also like Joey so....

Southstander
08-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Smoke will miss the rest of the season, with Mark "Rocking Chair" Martintaming over for him in the #14.

Peanut
08-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Smoke will miss the rest of the season, with Mark "Rocking Chair" Martintaming over for him in the #14.

Stewart Out for Remainder of 2013 Season; Martin in for 12 races; Dillon one: Tony Stewart is out for the remainder of the 2013 season after suffering a broken right tibia and fibula in a sprint car crash Aug. 5 at Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa, Iowa. Stewart, a three-time Sprint Cup champion, is expected to return to the seat of the #14 Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevrolet SS for Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) in time for pre-season testing in January 2014. In the interim, Mark Martin will drive the #14 Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevy Aug. 23-24 at Bristol and in 11 other races. Austin Dillon, who filled in for Stewart this past weekend at Michigan and finished 14th in his 10th career Sprint Cup start, will drive the #14 Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevy Oct. 18-20 at Talladega.
After consulting with Tonys doctors and speaking with Tony, we agreed it was best for him to focus on his recovery, said Greg Zipadelli, competition director, SHR. For the No. 14 team, our focus is on positioning them for a run at the owner championship. Mark Martin and Austin Dillon give us the best opportunity to do that, and we certainly appreciate Michael Waltrip Racing and Richard Childress Racing for making Mark and Austin available to us.
Obviously, Im disappointed to be out of the Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevy for so long, but the team is in very good hands with Mark Martin and Austin Dillon, Stewart said. Mark is someone Ive looked up to my entire career and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Austin is a great young talent, and he showed that Sunday at Michigan. Greg Zipadelli, Steve Addington (crew chief) and everybody at SHR supports them 100 percent. This isnt a situation anyone wanted, but were going to make the best of it. In the meantime, my focus is on getting healthy and getting back into my Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevy.
The #14 team is 13th in [owner] points, 10 out of the top-10 and 160 behind the series-leading #48 team of Hendrick Motorsports. The #14 team is first in line to grab one of the two wild-card positions for the 12-team [Owners] Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.(SHR)(8-19-2013)

Peanut
08-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Montoya back to Indycars...with Andretti? Michael Andretti is trying to find a sponsor to bring #42-Juan Pablo Montoya back to IndyCar with Andretti Autosport. "I have talked to Juan about IndyCar and told him 'Hell yeah, let's find a way to put something together,' " Andretti told The Associated Press on Monday. "I've driven against him and I think he's one of the best drivers I've ever driven against. It just comes down to sponsorship. So we're looking, and if it's a possibility, we want to do something with him." Andretti only had conversations with Montoya last week after the Colombian learned from Chip Ganassi that he wouldn't be re-signed to Ganassi's NASCAR team for an eighth season. Montoya has been out of open wheel racing since he left Formula One in 2006 to rejoin Ganassi in NASCAR, and he's not ruling out any series now that he's looking for work. He told AP on Monday a return to IndyCar isn't out of the question, but wouldn't reveal what teams he's spoken to so far.(Associated Press)(8-19-2013)

AZ Snake Fan
08-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks Peanut !

I'm happy that Mark will be filling in for Tony.
Hope he can get the 14 into the Chase.
Mark is a great wheel man.
Not real aggressive at first, cautious and tries to take care of his ride.
He will see what his car has for the first 20 laps.
He keeps giving feedback making his car better every pit stop.
Then he will lay back trying not to get wrecked.
He will let the youngsters fly by him and fight for the lead.
Then he will come on like a vengeance at the end of the race.
Mark would have had multiple wins this year if it weren't for cars wrecking him.
Wish Mark and Tony the best !!!
~~~
Mark would be a good fit for the 42.
Mark likes to run a part-time NASCAR schedule.
Who better to mentor a young and talented Larson ?
EGR, bring Kyle up to Cup. Kid is ready !
Mark and Kyle, share the ride in the 42 !!!
~~~
Oh yeah, adios Montoya !
Best of luck back in open wheelers.

roushmartin6
08-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Glad to see Mark is going to help Tony out! Hopefully they can run up front and score some wins

Freyaka
08-20-2013, 06:38 AM
I'd love to see Bobby Labonte take marks place in the 55 for a few races. I really don't think it's entirely his lack of skill right now I'd love to see him in a well maintained car with good hardware. If he couldn't run well in that it's time to retire IMO.

BroncosFanInPA
08-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Well i must say i was a bit bummed when the official word of Tony being out the rest of the season came down & so i didn't respond to any comments, i was a little surprised & thought he would be back at some point this year but also knew the possibility of missing the rest of the year was there.

Obviously Tony needs to get well & healed up first & foremost before getting back in the car for a couple of races which at that point would be meaningless. He clearly has some bad breaks in his leg & needs alot of recovery time, so he will be ready for 2014 (possible sign? #14 in 2014)

In the meantime, Mark is a great choice to finish out the season & all he needs to do is have 3 good finishes in the next 3 races & the #14 team will still be inline to run for an owners championship, so that will be interesting to follow.

roushmartin6
08-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Well i must say i was a bit bummed when the official word of Tony being out the rest of the season came down & so i didn't respond to any comments, i was a little surprised & thought he would be back at some point this year but also knew the possibility of missing the rest of the year was there.

Obviously Tony needs to get well & healed up first & foremost before getting back in the car for a couple of races which at that point would be meaningless. He clearly has some bad breaks in his leg & needs alot of recovery time, so he will be ready for 2014 (possible sign? #14 in 2014)

In the meantime, Mark is a great choice to finish out the season & all he needs to do is have 3 good finishes in the next 3 races & the #14 team will still be inline to run for an owners championship, so that will be interesting to follow.

I think he is making the right call. No need to come back too soon, get in another bad wreck and mess the leg up again. Now he can recover and rehab, maybe even shed some poundage in the gym with Mark lol

AZ Snake Fan
08-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Zipadelli said in a news conference that the 55 car crew chief, Rodney Childers is going to SHR.
Zip also said SHR was interested in Kurt Busch for 2014.
It was reported that SHR offered Kurt a contract 5 days ago.
Furniture Row heard about it and is offering Kurt a contract extension today.
It was also reported that SHR will expand their team with another car for 2014.
Harvick will not go to the 39, Dillon will ride #39.
Kevin will ride #4 and keep the Bud sponsor.
~~~
So, it seems to me that Newman was misled if SHR goes to 4 cars.
Tony, Dillon, Danica and Harvick ? Where would Kurt fit in ? Out Dillon ?
Regardless, Kurt has a big decision to make soon.
Wonder how Newman feels about this ? Just business ?
~~~
My take is that at SHR, Tony will always be the big dog, Kurt would be second fiddle.
At Furniture Row, Kurt is top dog, that team has been building that car around Kurt.
I'd like to see Kurt stay at Furniture Row.
~~~
Penske announced that they will drop to a two car team.
~~~
This chinese fire drill happens every year. This pre-Chase merry-go-round is making me dizzy.
I give up speculating as to who goes where in 2014.
I'm just going to wait and see what shakes out. :confused:
:D

Freyaka
08-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Zipadelli said in a news conference that the 55 car crew chief, Rodney Childers is going to SHR.
Zip also said SHR was interested in Kurt Busch for 2014.
It was reported that SHR offered Kurt a contract 5 days ago.
Furniture Row heard about it and is offering Kurt a contract extension today.
It was also reported that SHR will expand their team with another car for 2014.
Harvick will not go to the 39, Dillon will ride #39.
Kevin will ride #4 and keep the Bud sponsor.
~~~
So, it seems to me that Newman was misled if SHR goes to 4 cars.
Tony, Dillon, Danica and Harvick ? Where would Kurt fit in ? Out Dillon ?
Regardless, Kurt has a big decision to make soon.
Wonder how Newman feels about this ? Just business ?
~~~
My take is that at SHR, Tony will always be the big dog, Kurt would be second fiddle.
At Furniture Row, Kurt is top dog, that team has been building that car around Kurt.
I'd like to see Kurt stay at Furniture Row.
~~~
Penske announced that they will drop to a two car team.
~~~
This chinese fire drill happens every year. This pre-Chase merry-go-round is making me dizzy.
I give up speculating as to who goes where in 2014.
I'm just going to wait and see what shakes out. :confused:
:D

I don't understand why if they want four cars they aren't keeping Ryan....I mean it's obvious Ryan and Tony are close friends...it makes no sense he's too talented of drive to let go if you've got room for him.

AZ Snake Fan
08-23-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't understand why if they want four cars they aren't keeping Ryan....I mean it's obvious Ryan and Tony are close friends...it makes no sense he's too talented of drive to let go if you've got room for him.

Apparently it is Gene Haas making the push:

BRISTOL, Tenn. -- The expansion of Stewart-Haas Racing continues with the impending addition of crew chief Rodney Childers and potential addition of driver Kurt Busch, two players who could help make the organization a four-car powerhouse for 2014.

Michael Waltrip Racing confirmed Friday that Childers -- winner of three NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races with the team, most recently last month with Brian Vickers -- would depart the organization, likely to become Kevin Harvick's crew chief at Stewart-Haas next season. And SHR Competition Director Greg Zipadelli said the team is moving forward with plans to accommodate a fourth car that could be driven by the 2004 series champion Busch.

They are ambitious moves for a team that will also feature Tony Stewart and Danica Patrick, and is bidding to become one of the elite organizations at NASCAR's premier level.

"We are looking to expand," Zipadelli said at Bristol Motor Speedway. "We are looking to do whatever we can to make Stewart-Haas a better place to race, to give our drivers better resources. ? Our goal is to give our teams a better product to race every week going into Daytona. With four good drivers next year, I think it gives us that opportunity. Our owners are aggressive. It's kind of exciting, it's fun. At a time when everybody's kind of going the other way, we've got owners who are committed to stepping up and making Stewart-Haas a bigger, better place in the future."

More: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/childers-latest-chip-stewart-haas-133600198--nascar.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
From Tony 12 July 2013:

"No, we are not ready to expand to a fourth team. Unfortunately, this will be the last year that we have Ryan (Newman) with us. That's probably what has made this a bittersweet day. I'm bringing in another one of my friends to the organization, but also knowing that I'm losing a friend at the end of the year to the organization. The number one thing when Ryan and I spoke is that our friendship will not change. This was a business decision that was Gene's (Haas) as well as mine and it was a hard decision. There is a personal side and there is a business side. For Ryan and I we had to put the personal bit of it aside to work through the business part. I'll do everything I can to help Ryan in any way I can moving forward to try to help him in his effort to find another team next year. I'm behind him 100 percent. I believe in him 100 percent. I truly wish we were able to facilitate four teams at this time. We are just not able to do that. Down the road I'm sure if that becomes a possibility that he will most definitely will be on the list to fill the fourth seat again."
http://racingnewsnetwork.com/2013/07/12/nascar-cup-ryan-newman-fired/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That last sentence seems a bit odd. :confused:

BroncosFanInPA
08-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Watched the race off & on especialy the first half, watched majority of the last 250 laps. Thought for sure Kahne was gonna win but he needs to get more aggresive & put the bumper to Kenseth to move him instead of settling for 2nd.

I understand kasey is a very clean racer & very respectful of those he races against but i think he missed a perfect opportunity for the bump & run for the win. It's not like it was on a high speed 1.5 mile track. it was a short track & i would say no better place for a bump other than maybe Martinsville.

As for Mark Martin & the 20th place finish in the #14 car, like i said i didn't watch alot in the start so i can't say why he was so far back but had there not been so many wrecks he would have finished 30th, so that was a very unimpressive result but we will see how he does on the 1.5 mile Atlanta track, i believe he runs much better on those type of tracks.

Southstander
08-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Kurt Busch has signed a multiyear deal with Stewart Haas Racing.

Peanut
08-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Kurt Busch has signed a multiyear deal with Stewart Haas Racing.

UPDATE: Kurt Busch has signed a multiyear contract to drive for Stewart-Haas Racing, beginning with the 2014 season, Busch told ESPN.com Monday. "I'm going to Stewart-Haas," Busch told ESPN.com Monday morning. "I've signed my deal." The SHR organization will announce the arrangement formally Monday afternoon and hold a news conference Tuesday afternoon introducing Busch as a Stewart-Haas driver. Busch received the offer to drive for Stewart-Haas a week ago and received a subsequent offer from his current team, Furniture Row Racing, last week. Busch said Monday he appreciates greatly the opportunity afforded him at FRR. Asked if he can maintain focus and help get the #78 team into the Chase, he said, "Come Wednesday, that's all I'm going to think about."(ESPN)
AND An official announcement with team co-owner Gene Haas - the man behind the decision - is set for 2:00 pm/et Tuesday at SHR headquarters in Kannapolis, NC. Sources say SHR is attempting to obtain the #00 for Busch to use beginning next season in the Sprint Cup Series.(Charlotte Observer)(8-26-2013)

He's also the main reason Newman is gone. Kind of makes me wonder about the Stewart-Haas partnership. I'm sure Tony approved the moves.

I hope FRR finds a good replacement.

roushmartin6
08-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Well its job security for Kurt. No matter how big of a tirade he goes off on either the radio or in interviews he won't be fired because the boss does the same thing lol

roushmartin6
08-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Well looks like Kyle Larson is heading to Cup in the 42 next year. Kid is super talented just hope they aren't rushing him into this

Peanut
08-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Well looks like Kyle Larson is heading to Cup in the 42 next year. Kid is super talented just hope they aren't rushing him into this

I like Ganassi. I hope Larson does well.

Kyle Larson isn't staying put very long. Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates will move the 21-year-old upstart to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series fulltime in 2014, multiple sources confirmed Tuesday. Reached by phone on Tuesday evening, a team spokesman declined comment. Larson and team members of the Ganassi organization were notified of the decision this week, sources said. Larson will replace Juan Pablo Montoya in the #42 Chevy.(Charlotte Observer)(8-28-2013)

I hope Labonte heals quickly. Weird year for off track accidents for drivers.

Bobby Labonte suffers broken ribs: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Bobby Labonte is currently being treated at a local hospital near his home in Trinity, North Carolina after being involved in an accident while riding his bicycle near his home on the morning of Wednesday, August 28. Labonte was transported to the hospital by ambulance where he was diagnosed and is being treated for three broken ribs. There are no other injuries. He is being held overnight for observation. An update on Labonte's condition will be sent when determined. Mike Bliss will replace Labonte in the #51 Phoenix Racing entry this weekend in Atlanta.(Breaking Limits)(8-28-2013)

Peanut
08-29-2013, 01:25 PM
I would really like to see Labonte come back in a competitive ride next year. Just not sure if there will be any.

Allmendinger offered ride with JTG Daugherty: AJ Allmendinger has an offer to drive the #47 JTG Daugherty NASCAR Sprint Cup car in 2014. Team owner Tad Geschickter confirmed to FOXSports.com a full-time deal had been offered to Allmendinger. The driver confirmed JTGD's proposal late Wednesday night. Allmendinger, 31, has competed in NASCAR, IndyCar and Grand-Am this season. With his experience in a variety of different series and manufacturers, JTGD brought Allmendinger in for the Michigan June race to provide a second opinion on what areas the needed improvement with the car  mechanical, aerodynamic or engine. At that time, the team's current driver Bobby Labonte was 27th in the standings. Although Geschickter has offered Labonte a position within the company, the 49-year-old former Cup champion told FOXSports.com on Aug. 24 that he had not made a decision regarding his 2014 plans.(Fox Sports)(8-29-2013)

BroncosFanInPA
08-30-2013, 08:16 AM

I like Ganassi. I hope Larson does well.

First thing that came to my mind when seeing this was Reed Sorenson & how he was up & coming & appeared to have a ton of talent & potential but never really amounted to very much.

Very similar situations too because he was about 20 or 21 when they brought him up to cup & it was the same owner & team in Ganassi. Did they rush things with Reed & set him back? Or was he just not cut out for the big time? Sure seemed like he was to me, i remember watching some of the Nationwide races back then & thinking this kid is gonna be something special down the road but it didn't happen.

Well hopefully things work out better for the larson kid & he becomes a star but i just don't think these owners are giving these kids enough time to develope in the lower series.

Freyaka
08-30-2013, 12:55 PM
I would really like to see Labonte come back in a competitive ride next year. Just not sure if there will be any.

ya I think he hangs up the fire suit this year. I'd love to see a team like RCR snag him.

Peanut
09-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Trucks in Canada on a road course. :D

Interesting finish. IMO, Chase Elliott didn't do anything wrong. Last corner, Dillon said that he was out of fuel. He expects the other guy to let him coast to the finish line?

Impressed with Mike Skeen. I bet some teams are looking at him.

Not impressed with his lady friend, if she's connected to him. She definitely should not have slapped Papis. She should be charged with assault or at least banned from the track for awhile. I do hope it's not going to be a trend with these women getting involved (second incident this year. The other one just blocked a driver from talking to another driver. Security?). IMO, if a female hits a male, the male has every right to retaliate.

It was a good race. :D

I had to DVR the IndyCar race in Baltimore. I saw it advertised for being on ABC, but it was on NBCSN here. Blackout?

Cup tonight. What a great weekend. :D

AZ Snake Fan
09-01-2013, 08:35 PM

That track in Canada was beautiful !
Watching the trucks run a road course there was a lot of fun.
I would like to see a Cup race there one day.
~~~
I agree with you Peanut about Elliot, he had the inside line.
Regardless, it was the last turn before the checker, anything goes. :D
~~~
The Atlanta race was also a lot of fun.
I love 500 mile races at mile and a half tracks and I love night races.
Especially mile and a half tracks that drivers can run side by side.
Congrats Kyle !

BroncosFanInPA
09-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Great win for Kyle, what a long & grueling race. Seemed like so many different drivers had a shot at the win but the #18 came out on top & i know Peanut is loving it but let me say something i think you will love even more...i seriously think this is the year Kyle can win it all, they are hitting their stride at the right time.

On a side note, (i hate to say this because i know there are some Martin fans) but i think Tony made a mistake putting Mark in that car for the rest of the season. Two very bad races in a row & yes he got caught up in something early, it was not nearly bad enough to warrant running that poorly being 3 laps down & finishing 25th. There was no reason not to run at the very least inside the top 20 if not top 15, very disappointing.

Again i hate to say this, but i think racing has past mark martin by & he probably needs to hang it up. If you can't perform in one of the better cars out there then your time has come & gone.

I think tony needs to look for somebody else to run the remaining races because he still has a shot at the owner's championship but will have no chance at all with somebody running 25th every race. Perhaps he should let Austin Dillon finish out the season in the #14.

roushmartin6
09-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Great win for Kyle, what a long & grueling race. Seemed like so many different drivers had a shot at the win but the #18 came out on top & i know Peanut is loving it but let me say something i think you will love even more...i seriously think this is the year Kyle can win it all, they are hitting their stride at the right time.

On a side note, (i hate to say this because i know there are some Martin fans) but i think Tony made a mistake putting Mark in that car for the rest of the season. Two very bad races in a row & yes he got caught up in something early, it was not nearly bad enough to warrant running that poorly being 3 laps down & finishing 25th. There was no reason not to run at the very least inside the top 20 if not top 15, very disappointing.

Again i hate to say this, but i think racing has past mark martin by & he probably needs to hang it up. If you can't perform in one of the better cars out there then your time has come & gone.

I think tony needs to look for somebody else to run the remaining races because he still has a shot at the owner's championship but will have no chance at all with somebody running 25th every race. Perhaps he should let Austin Dillon finish out the season in the #14.

You can't expect instant chemistry, not too mention Tony wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with his team's performance this year. Not Mark's fault Jeff wreck 7 cars because he can't restart. Bristol was his first race with a new team, and it was a race he wasn't even planning on running. I would press the panic button yet. Mark almost won 3 races ago, should have won Pocono last year if that punk Joey would learn to pass cleanly, and was spanking the field last year at Michigan till Juan about killed him. Mark is not the problem.

BroncosFanInPA
09-02-2013, 06:46 AM
You can't expect instant chemistry, not too mention Tony wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with his team's performance this year. Not Mark's fault Jeff wreck 7 cars because he can't restart. Bristol was his first race with a new team, and it was a race he wasn't even planning on running. I would press the panic button yet. Mark almost won 3 races ago, should have won Pocono last year if that punk Joey would learn to pass cleanly, and was spanking the field last year at Michigan till Juan about killed him. Mark is not the problem.

I'll give you that bolded part at least for the first half of the year, but then things got a heck of alot better & they were running in the top 10 & top 5 alot lately & don't forget Newman winning the brickyard & running very well of late.

So the whole organization was performing at a much higher level in recent weeks than they were in the first couple months, so the cars aren't the problem either.

Look all i'm saying is i expected much better results, i mean Dillion ran the Michigan race a couple weeks back & he finished 14th & Papis finished 15th at the Glen.

Did the car have damage yes no doubt , was it bad enough damage that you are riding around with Blaney, Yeley & Gilligan etc. etc. Heck even Danica was in front of the 14. Part of it is poor qualifying, you start 27th & your asking for trouble.

But before the wreck even occured, there was a competition caution coming at lap 25 & in those 25 laps Martin only managed to go from 27th to 26th so i kinda knew then what kind of race it would be.

Look i want him to do well & hope things got much better at Richmond but what if they don't? What if it's another finish outside the top 20? You can't blame it on the car if others didn't run poorly in the same car.

Peanut
09-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Stewart expects to return fully healed, OK with Busch as teammate; full transcript: Tony Stewart asserted Tuesday at the Stewart-Haas race shop that his broken bones would mend in time for the 2014 Daytona 500 and that the organization he co-owns with Gene Haas was never fractured in the first place. "They're looking at the beginning of February, which isn't a bad deal," said Stewart, who broke the tibia and fibula in his right leg during a Sprint Car accident Aug. 5 in Iowa. "I guess if you had to have this injury happen -- it could have happened a month later, and it would have gotten us in a really big bind for next year." Next year's Daytona 500 is scheduled for Feb. 23, and Stewart expects to be in the field, barring unexpected complications with his recovery. Stewart arrived at the dais for Tuesday's press conference in a wheelchair and maneuvered into a seat behind a podium that featured the Twitter hashtag "#SmokeWillRise," a nod to his widely known nickname. As expected, the subject of Haas' unilateral hiring of Kurt Busch was a hot-button topic, but Stewart was quick to dispel talk of a rift or a power struggle within his organization. For the first time reporters heard Stewart's graphic description of the wreck that has caused the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion to miss the final 14 races of the season as he recuperates. Stewart described a dust cloud at Southern Iowa Speedway, somewhat like the cloud of smoke in the movie "Days of Thunder," that obscured his view of the car in his path. Stewart wore shorts to the press conference, with his knee exposed, revealing a long scar held intact by a series of butterfly bandages. On his foot was a large insulated boot, protecting the lower leg in which a titanium rod was inserted during surgery to reinforce the tibia. The accident also reinforced Stewart's resolve to help make Sprint Car racing safer, but it won't stop him from participating in the sport.(NASCAR Wire Service), see full transcript on my Tony Stewart press conference transcript page.(9-3-2013)

That sounds so painful. I'm sure he'll have to go through rehab. Hopefully, it'll go well.

Peanut
09-04-2013, 11:26 PM
UPDATE 2 - penalties issued: Bryan Berry, crew chief of the #6 team, has been fined $2,500 for violating Sections 12-1 and 9-4A (Crew chief assumes responsibility for the actions of his team members) following Sunday's race at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. Kelly Heaphy, who was with the #6 team at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, has been fined $2,500 and denied access to all NASCAR events indefinitely for her involvement in an altercation with a competitor following Sunday's race.(NASCAR Integrated Marketing)(9-4-2013)
UPDATE 3:Sharp-Gallaher Racing would like to issue the following statement in response to the penalty assessed by NASCAR to crew chief Brian Berry for the actions of team members, which is inclusive of guests, following the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. The team will not be appealing the penalty. "I'd like to apologize to our sponsors, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and especially the fans on behalf of everyone at Sharp-Gallaher Racing for the incident that occurred following Sunday's race," said team co-owner Eddie Sharp Jr. "Although Kelly Heaphy is not an employee of SGR, we absolutely do not condone actions such as these from anyone associated with our organization. It is a shame that this overshadowed the first class event that NASCAR delivered in Canada. We have nothing but respect for NASCAR, and will not appeal the penalty assessed to crew chief Bryan Berry."(Sharp-Gallaher Racing PR)(9-4-2013)

I'm glad they took some action against her. Papis says his jaw is dislocated. I hope this doesn't hurt Skeen's chance for a ride. He really did show some talent.

The Drama! :D

AZ Snake Fan
09-06-2013, 10:35 PM

Word today is that Jeff Burton will be leaving RCR at the end of this season.
Newman takes the wheel ?

BroncosFanInPA
09-07-2013, 05:23 AM

Word today is that Jeff Burton will be leaving RCR at the end of this season.
Newman takes the wheel ?

That would seem like the obvious scenario for Newman to move into the #31 but now where does Burton end up?

Does he end up at Furniture Row in the #78 or will that be Montoya?

FL BRONCO
09-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Well with the help of Clint Bowyer, Truex gets in and Newman gets out. Congrats to Kurt Busch, heck of a job this year

BroncosFanInPA
09-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Well with the help of Clint Bowyer, Truex gets in and Newman gets out. Congrats to Kurt Busch, heck of a job this year

I have alot to say about that & the whole race in general but don't have time at the moment, alot of things about this race stinks like fish but i will elaborate later on.

Peanut
09-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Logano wouldn't have gotten the wave around and Gordon would have been in. Logano would have been a wild card and Truex would have been out (I think).

I have alot to say about that & the whole race in general but don't have time at the moment, alot of things about this race stinks like fish but i will elaborate later on.

I would be very disappointed if Bowyer did it on purpose. It sure looks like that. I would be even more disappointed if the "orders" came from Waltrip. Not the type of "team work" that's needed.

roushmartin6
09-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Didn't get to see the race because I was at my brother's wedding. My best friend is a Gordon fan and he is mad he missed the chase by a point lol

BroncosFanInPA
09-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Logano wouldn't have gotten the wave around and Gordon would have been in. Logano would have been a wild card and Truex would have been out (I think).
As they were running Gordon was in & Newman was going to be in because he was gonna win the race giving him 2 wins for the year & so Truex & Logano were out.

I would be very disappointed if Bowyer did it on purpose. It sure looks like that. I would be even more disappointed if the "orders" came from Waltrip. Not the type of "team work" that's needed.After watching the replay, i have no doubt bowyer spun out on purpose because 1st..he had nothing to lose already being clinched & 2nd..Truex could not get in as long as Newman was going to win the race so he spun out without contact from anybody thus changing the outcome.

Did he know how it would eventually turn out? no of course not but he did know Truex could not get in without something happening to either Newman or Gordon so he spins but who told him to, well the will remain a mystery. Was it waltrip or bowyer himself knowing the situation, we will never know but there was more that was suspicious about this race...

1. Logano falls a lap down & eventually 2 back to 25th early in the race but he can't seem to gain a single position for over 300 laps? seriously? but yet all along he was still in position for the wildcard, that is until Newman took the race lead & Gordon climbed back into the top 10 which also seemed just a tad bit odd...

2. Gordon starts on the pole & leads the first 50 laps & then his car goes to crap because it's a short run car, he fades outside the top 10 & eventually back near 20th & then has to pit for the loose wheel & falling 2 laps down & at that point i said it's over for him considering how poorly he was running & now down 2 laps with several cars in front of him just one lap down.

Oh but suddenly his car comes to life out of the blue & he is passing like crazy & gets in position for the free pass & wouldn't ya know it as soon as he gets in that position the caution flag waves right before another car was about to get lapped. And once back on the lead lap he continues to fly through the field like he is a rocket ship, getting back into the top 10.

And all the while ESPN is showing the points & imagine there is just 1 or 2 points from gordon being in or out, ok nascar if you say so, you put on quite the drama show didn't you?

That whole race & how everything played out just seemed so far fetched to me that it seems like it was all scripted.

P.S. I stand by what i said last week, Tony made a mistake with Mark Martin, he flat out stunk in the race & got extremely lucky to get 9th.

AZ Snake Fan
09-08-2013, 03:13 PM

I agree that some of those cautions and subsequent forced restarts were suspect.
Debris on track out of nowhere, they didn't show the "debris".
Untimely spin outs, the yellows definitely swung the race, intentional or not.

And a race that ran unusually long greens for Richmond, no one was ready for that !

~~~

That's why I dislike the Sprint to the "Chase" points system.

I prefer the old way; points start adding up at the first race in Daytona.
The driver with the most points at end of the last race of the year is champ.
Simple, race for the championship until the very end.
This Chase system blows, now we have only 12 out of 43 cars in contention.
11 races to go.....
That leaves too many cars with nothing to lose to be tempted to interfere.
And since Sprint took over, it has been happening every year.
~~~
Winston way was way better, but hey, I'm a nobody. :D
In today's world, big money talks real big.

Southstander
09-08-2013, 04:29 PM
I completely agree AZ. From the moment the Chase was announced I worried that driver A would do something to help driver B win or hurt driver C chances of winning. Everyone here knows I am a Jimmie fan but even I wonder if he would have won five in a row if they used the original system. With millions on the line it is not hard to imagine that the temptation is there to help a teammate. It is bad enough that we have to worry about drivers pulling stunts like this but we also have to worry about owners and even sponsors pulling the strings.

BroncosFanInPA
09-09-2013, 04:45 PM
This from USA Today but there are articles everywhere about this, alot of people upset. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2013/09/08/nascar-clint-bowyer-martin-truex-jr-brian-vickers-ryan-newman-jeff-gordon-richmond-spin-chase-for-the-sprint-cup/2781855/

A conspicuous flick of the steering wheel and some curious easing of the accelerator revealed the seedy underbelly of the multicar team model Saturday night at Richmond International Raceway.

And it could undermine the integrity of NASCAR in such a way to demand major policy changes from a sport often tainted by the specter of conspiracy theories — but rarely in a way in which evidence pointed to such blatant orchestration.

The ballyhooed Chase for the Sprint Cup will begin Sept. 15 at Chicagoland Speedway under the darkest cloud of its 10-season history, because the focus has shifted from the 12 drivers competing in the 10-race championship run to those who might have been unjustly excluded from it.

The last seven laps of the Federated Auto Parts 400 had a nefarious vibe that had fans lighting up social media well into the wee hours while debating whether two Michael Waltrip Racing drivers took dives to help their teammate qualify for the Chase.

Did Clint Bowyer intentionally spin to cause a caution that effectively knocked Ryan Newman (who was leading before the yellow sent the field into the pits) out of the Chase by sabotaging his chances of clinching a wild card with his second victory of the season?

Did Brian Vickers and Bowyer then help secure a Chase bid for Martin Truex Jr., their MWR teammate, by choosing to run well off the pace during the closing laps, allowing Joey Logano to gain two critical positions and move into 10th in points (and the final guaranteed Chase berth) by one point over Jeff Gordon and thus vacate the final wild-card slot for Truex?

The in-car audio — in which Bowyer is told that Newman is leading the race and then told that his arm must be feeling tired — is suspicious. The in-car video — in which Bowyer seems to turn the wheel as awkwardly as a driver's ed student attempting a three-point turn for the first time — is damning.

Though Bowyer tried to downplay any controversy by blaming ill handling, Dale Earnhardt Jr. noted the throttle data from Bowyer's fuel injection unit would reveal if the spin was on purpose.

But there already were hard numbers Saturday that fed the perception of chicanery. On the race's last lap, Vickers ran a 79.564-mph lap — more than 30-50 mph slower than any other car in the top 25. Bowyer also managed to lose two laps and nine positions by seemingly dawdling in the pits despite a fairly harmless spin that caused little damage to his No. 15 Camry.

All of this leaves NASCAR, which warned teams about playing "fair and square" in Saturday's prerace drivers meeting, as it does annually before every Chase cutoff race at Richmond, facing a major quandary.

If it decides not to issue any penalties (and drivers have been punished for intentional spins in the past), it will grant tacit approval to gaming the system. But if it tries to take action, its hands seem tied. Saturday's results can't be altered in any meaningful way (stripping Bowyer and Vickers of points won't change the outcome for Gordon and Newman). It could punish Bowyer by forcing him to start the Chase's reset standings with negative points, or perhaps take the Draconian step of sitting him for Chicagoland (which is unlikely). Still, neither would fix the underlying problems.

I didn't realize Vickers was also involved in all of this but it all adds.

BroncosFanInPA
09-09-2013, 04:53 PM
It makes sense because by having Vickers drop behind Logano it moved Logano to 10th & dropped Gordon to 11th thus allowing Truex to claim the 2nd wild card slot because Gordon had no wins.

Truex & Newman finished in a tie because both Vickers & Bowyer drop behind Logano or else Gordon still would have been 10th in points & the last wild card spot would have been Logano.

This is just an awful thing that Michael Waltrip has done & Nascar needs to drop the hammer on them severely.

Newman & Gordon got screwed big time!

Southstander
09-09-2013, 07:13 PM
It makes sense because by having Vickers drop behind Logano it moved Logano to 10th & dropped Gordon to 11th thus allowing Truex to claim the 2nd wild card slot because Gordon had no wins.

Truex & Newman finished in a tie because both Vickers & Bowyer drop behind Logano or else Gordon still would have been 10th in points & the last wild card spot would have been Logano.

This is just an awful thing that Michael Waltrip has done & Nascar needs to drop the hammer on them severely.

Newman & Gordon got screwed big time!

Waltrip and scandels are nothing new. Every remembers when he put "rocket fuel" in his cars before the Daytona a few years back.

BroncosFanInPA
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Truex out, Newman in as Nascar does the right thing for once. :clap:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9655907/nascar-replaces-martin-truex-jr-chase-ryan-newman
CONCORD, N.C. -- Ryan Newman replaced Martin Truex Jr. in the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship on Monday night when NASCAR penalized Michael Waltrip Racing for manipulating the outcome of last weekend's race at Richmond.

Michael Waltrip Racing was fined $300,000, and general manager Ty Norris received an indefinite suspension. Truex, Clint Bowyer and Brian Vickers were docked 50 points apiece -- but Bowyer's deduction does not affect his position in the Chase, which begins Sunday at Chicago.

"We penalize to not have this happen again," NASCAR president Mike Helton said. "It's a message from the league saying, 'You can't do this.'"

I am proud that NASCAR took a stand with respect to what went on Saturday night at Richmond. I know it was a tough decision to make. With that being said, myself, Matt Borland (crew chief) and this entire No. 39 team are looking forward to competing for the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship.

-- Ryan Newman

Newman was leading with seven laps remaining Saturday night at Richmond, where a victory would have given him the final spot in the 12-driver Chase field. But Bowyer spun to bring out a caution, setting in motion a chain of events that ultimately led to Newman losing the race and Bowyer teammate Truex earning the final Chase berth.

"I am proud that NASCAR took a stand with respect to what went on Saturday night at Richmond," Newman said in a statement. "I know it was a tough decision to make. With that being said, myself, [crew chief] Matt Borland and this entire No. 39 team are looking forward to competing for the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship."

While examining the situation, NASCAR reviewed communication between Bowyer and his Michael Waltrip Racing crew that seemed to indicate the spin was deliberate, as well as additional evidence that suggested MWR had Bowyer and Vickers take a dive over the final three laps so Joey Logano would knock Jeff Gordon out of Chase contention in yet another attempt to help Truex.

NASCAR did not adjust the standings to put Gordon into the Chase -- he was in before Bowyer's spin -- because Helton said it was impossible to address all the scenarios.

"We know from experience, if you try to look at ripple effect, you can't cover all bases that's equitable and credible across board," said Helton, who also said NASCAR was unable to prove Bowyer spun intentionally. "There's a lot of chatter, but we didn't see any conclusive evidence."

Southstander
09-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Truex out, Newman in as Nascar does the right thing for once. :clap:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9655907/nascar-replaces-martin-truex-jr-chase-ryan-newman

NASCAR should also strip Waltrip of all his owner points. I almost wish NASCAR could find away to take away sponsors from egregious multipul offenders.

BroncosFanInPA
09-09-2013, 07:50 PM
NASCAR should also strip Waltrip of all his owner points. I almost wish NASCAR could find away to take away sponsors from egregious multipul offenders.

And suspend Bowyer's crew chief for the rest of the year.

Peanut
09-09-2013, 10:54 PM
From PA's post:

NASCAR did not adjust the standings to put Gordon into the Chase -- he was in before Bowyer's spin -- because Helton said it was impossible to address all the scenarios.

"We know from experience, if you try to look at ripple effect, you can't cover all bases that's equitable and credible across board," said Helton, who also said NASCAR was unable to prove Bowyer spun intentionally. "There's a lot of chatter, but we didn't see any conclusive evidence."

I feel bad for Gordon.

Somewhere (FOX blogs?) they suggested putting in the top 13-14 into the Chase. That would let Gordon in.

IMO, NASCAR brought this on when they created the Chase. And then adding the win factor. The old way rewarded consistency. The new way encourages cheating.

Peanut
09-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Some positive news. I'm still not crazy about Kurt, but he has done a lot for this team.

Congrats to FRR!

History*-Making Feat Puts Busch, Furniture Row Racing in Chase Playoffs: With the season on the line to qualify for the Chase playoffs, #78-Kurt Busch and the Denver-based Furniture Row Racing saved the best for last, and in the process made history. Thanks to an impressive season-best runner-up finish in the final pre-Chase race Saturday night at Richmond International Raceway, Busch secured a post-season playoff berth. The feat will go into the record books as the first driver from a single-car team to qualify for the Chase since the 10-race, 12-driver championship format began in 2004. Its an amazing feeling to go up against these big teams and to put a little lone Chevrolet from Colorado into the Chase against the big boys," said Busch, who is now a seven-time Chase participant.
Team owner Barney Visser was equally elated during a post-race news conference. I dont know if its a dream come true as much as Im kind of in awe of Kurt and Joe (Garone, general manager) and the whole team and what these guys have been able to do," said Visser. They put in a lot of hard work and a lot of hours and its incredible what they were able to do."
This feels incredible," said Busch, the 2004 NASCAR champion. The way that we worked together as a team  its amazing that we have come this far and put ourselves in this position. We came close tonight, but havent won a race yet this year. I was happy to guide the ship, but I had a great skipper, the way that Todd Berrier (crew chief) led this group into the off season last year and the way Todd followed Barney Vissers dream. We are in the Chase and we have a shot at the championship so we are not done yet. It feels great to deliver and to achieve something very special tonight."(Furniture Row Racing)(9-9-2013)

BroncosFanInPA
09-10-2013, 03:31 PM
I feel bad for Gordon.

Somewhere (FOX blogs?) they suggested putting in the top 13-14 into the Chase. That would let Gordon in.

IMO, NASCAR brought this on when they created the Chase. And then adding the win factor. The old way rewarded consistency. The new way encourages cheating.

Yeah Gordon is definately the loser in all of this & i said earlier Nascar did the right thing for once but after thinking about it for a bit i would say they only got it half right & there was two options IMO that would have worked & one of them could have made the whole situation right...

Option 1 - they penalized Bowyer, Truex & Vickers all 50 points but in reality Bowyer ends up not getting anything because it was before the resetting of the points, so they should have made it after the chase seeding that he lost 50 points & started in a big hole or the 2nd option which i like better...

Option 2 - I'm not positive because i had to look at owner's points but i believe Bowyer finished 71 points ahead of Gordon after Richmond so if the points are deducted before the chase seeding then why not penalize those 3 teams 75 points & thus Bowyer drops 4 points behind Gordon which would have moved the #24 into 10th & in the chase & Bowyer drops to 11th & with no wins, is out of the chase.

Now to me that would be justice because after all Bowyer is the one who started the whole mess & at the end of the day what penalty did he really get? NOTHING!!

Don't be surprised if he doesn't get put in the wall somewhere along the way in the chase, especialy if he is contending.

Freyaka
09-10-2013, 06:45 PM
From PA's post:

I feel bad for Gordon.

If it were me? Suspend Bowyer the rest of the year and give Gordon his chase spot.

Freyaka
09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
https://www.change.org/petitions/nascar-disqualify-clint-bowyer-from-the-chase-and-add-jeff-gordon

AZ Snake Fan
09-11-2013, 10:01 AM

https://www.change.org/petitions/nascar-disqualify-clint-bowyer-from-the-chase-and-add-jeff-gordon

I signed the petition.

Freyaka
09-11-2013, 10:37 AM

I signed the petition.

I doubt it will make a bit of difference but a lot of people have already signed. If it keeps growing it'll be hard for nascar to ignore.

Peanut
09-11-2013, 10:55 AM
I doubt it will make a bit of difference but a lot of people have already signed. If it keeps growing it'll be hard for nascar to ignore.

It'll make Gordon feel good. Small consolation, but to know that the fans care should help a little.

AZ Snake Fan
09-11-2013, 04:16 PM

It keeps getting more convoluted ! :O

NASCAR is investigating the 22 and 38 teams now.
Logano may be out and Gordon could be in without disqualifying Bowyer.

:rolleyes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/shakeandbake/race-hub-exclusive-did-logano-cheat-his-way-into-the-chase-091113

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/david-gilliland-joey-logano-improper-communications-richmond-chase-for-the-sprint-cup-091113#!i3dQd

This whole escapade reminds me of that Ricky Bobby movie.
It would be funny if it wasn't so appalling and scandalous.

I can't wait to hear the word around the garage on fast friday. :eek:

BroncosFanInPA
09-11-2013, 07:02 PM

It keeps getting more convoluted ! :O

NASCAR is investigating the 22 and 38 teams now.
Logano may be out and Gordon could be in without disqualifying Bowyer.

:rolleyes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/shakeandbake/race-hub-exclusive-did-logano-cheat-his-way-into-the-chase-091113

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/david-gilliland-joey-logano-improper-communications-richmond-chase-for-the-sprint-cup-091113#!i3dQd

This whole escapade reminds me of that Ricky Bobby movie.
It would be funny if it wasn't so appalling and scandalous.

I can't wait to hear the word around the garage on fast friday. :eek:

I got to thinking & it now makes me wonder if the Hendrick cars played the game also, seeing as how other than Gordon none of them ran well, perhaps they were "sandbagging" it in order to give the #24 all the points possible.

Maybe Mr. H is just smarter than the rest of them & played the game so sly that nobody ever figured it.

I'll say this though, i know Tony would never do anything to alter things because he knew Newman needed all the points possible but at the end of that race the #14 took 2 tires & was going for a win & got out in front of Newman instead of laying back.

Peanut
09-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I don't doubt that manipulating the system has always gone on. It's just never been so blatant. Everyone ignored it before, but it's hard to ignore this one.

The leader pulls over so a teammate can lead a lap to get points. Happens all the time and is considered smart teamwork.

Pitting/slowing down so a teammate can pick up extra points. Spinning out or throwing something (water bottle) onto the track to cause a caution. Entering cars that haven't run all year. NASCAR's "debris on the track" for a caution, but they can't find it. What's the difference?

I'm not saying I condone it. I don't. What I'm saying, again, is that it happens all the time. It's about time it got exposed. Maybe they'll go back to the old points system. Maybe they'll go back to racing.

Unfortunately, the people involved from last week are going to pay for something that everyone's been doing. Be made an example of.

PA, I've been thinking about Johnson. He had such a big lead in points. I thought it odd for a team to do so good and then go to the other extreme and do so bad. It almost (should have) got Gordon in the Chase. I told hubby, wait until next week. Johnson's going back to his hot streak. They "found" something.

Peanut
09-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Press conference...adding 13th position to the Chase.

Gordon's in!

Only right thing they could do. Daughter is happy. :D

AZ Snake Fan
09-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Press conference...adding 13th position to the Chase.

Gordon's in!

Only right thing they could do. Daughter is happy. :D

Glad Gordon is in.
Today at practice, Larry Mac and Kyle Petty both said that Clint spun out on purpose.
That was before the presser. Good to hear them speak out on national TV !

~~~

Peanut, you are right about teams getting away with this stuff for a long time.
Anyone notice all the Hewlett Packard (HP) commercials about partnering with NASCAR ?
I don't pay for any of the NASCAR insider packages, but a lot of fans do.
They get to "ride" with their favorite driver etc. HP has NASCAR in the 21st century.
NASCAR has come a long way from the moonshine runner days.
NASCAR is very focused on social media.
IF it weren't for all the backlash on twitter, FB etc. this whole mess may have been overlooked.
Fans have access to in-car cameras and team/crew radio transmissions.
It is harder now for scoundrels like MWR to get away with blatant cheating.

Glad Newman and Gordon got in, still think that the penalties were not very strict.
Hope this encourages NASCAR to re-think the points system before Daytona next year !

Alrighty now, 10 races to go. :D

Have a safe race in Chicago drivers !
Should be a great weekend with Trucks, NW and Sprint all on the same Chicago track.

BroncosFanInPA
09-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Boy i don't know about this decision, while i agree Gordon deserved to be in, i think Nascar has gone about it all wrong & has just opened a can of worms by simply adding a 13th car.

Where is the consistency? Martin Truex gets booted out but Logano & Bowyer stay? NO NO NO!! That is just wrong, you cannot just simply make things up on the fly, there is way too much inconsistency in these decisions.

First off Bowyer created this whole mess & exactly what penalty did he get? NOTHING! A stupid 50 point penalty that more or less never occured because it was before the points reset, you either have to enforce the 50 points to him now so he starts the chase -65 & not -15 or you remove him from the chase altogether & then you put Gordon in.

Obviously Nascar had to do something but i think they totally went about this all wrong by saying...well we are just gonna add another car. So now where do they go from here? I can see "expanding" the chase field due to all this & probably go to 14 or heck even 15 cars in & at which point they might as well just do away with the chase & go back to the old format if you are gonna have that many cars in it.

Don't get me wrong, Gordon should be in but somebody had to go at the same time & i just think nascar blew it & it really wasn't that difficult to figure out how to make it right.

InsaneBlaze23
09-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Boy i don't know about this decision, while i agree Gordon deserved to be in, i think Nascar has gone about it all wrong & has just opened a can of worms by simply adding a 13th car.

Where is the consistency? Martin Truex gets booted out but Logano & Bowyer stay? NO NO NO!! That is just wrong, you cannot just simply make things up on the fly, there is way too much inconsistency in these decisions.

First off Bowyer created this whole mess & exactly what penalty did he get? NOTHING! A stupid 50 point penalty that more or less never occured because it was before the points reset, you either have to enforce the 50 points to him now so he starts the chase -65 & not -15 or you remove him from the chase altogether & then you put Gordon in.

Obviously Nascar had to do something but i think they totally went about this all wrong by saying...well we are just gonna add another car. So now where do they go from here? I can see "expanding" the chase field due to all this & probably go to 14 or heck even 15 cars in & at which point they might as well just do away with the chase & go back to the old format if you are gonna have that many cars in it.

Don't get me wrong, Gordon should be in but somebody had to go at the same time & i just think nascar blew it & it really wasn't that difficult to figure out how to make it right.

Not a NASCAR fan, really don't care too much for the sport. But I am a fan of Jeff Gordon and have been for many years. If anything I do watch his highlights and all his interviews.

I've been following this situation on ESPN and I honestly agree with you. I think NASCAR tried to does removing a big name racer so they got rid of Truex. They wasn't gonna get rid of Joey or Bowyer because those names carry some weight in the homes and minds of NASCAR viewers/fans. That's why I think they went about it the way they did.

Peanut
09-20-2013, 10:50 PM
I live about 10-15 minutes from where the accident occurred. I used to drive by Kelly's parents' home every week (when I worked).

I hope she's okay.

I had looked for updates, off and on since this happened. Finally found one. I did not realize her injuries were/are so serious. I pray that she has a full recovery.

UPDATE: After two weeks on life support, three months of hospitalization, and continuing therapy, Kelly is once again defying the odds and on a slow but steady path to recovery. Kelly wishes to express her heartfelt appreciation for the outpouring of prayers, cards, flowers and support from the NASCAR family, friends and fans. Kelly's companion R. Gregg Wells was killed in the tragic accident April 7. Gregg was also part of the NASCAR family working for Robert Presley in the early 90's.(Kelly Sutton PR)(9-17-2013)

roushmartin6
09-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Well I don't think Mark will be racing next year and I will be super sad. One of the greatest nights ever was watching him dominate and win Chicagoland in person. Ever since he went part time I have watched the races as in depth as I used to, and if the Broncos are on, I just watch that and tune into the race during commercial breaks.

BroncosFanInPA
09-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Well I don't think Mark will be racing next year and I will be super sad. One of the greatest nights ever was watching him dominate and win Chicagoland in person. Ever since he went part time I have watched the races as in depth as I used to, and if the Broncos are on, I just watch that and tune into the race during commercial breaks.

Well i didn't really want to say anything more about the situation but since you brought it up i would have to agree & i think maybe he may have tried to hang on for too long but just simply doesn't have it anymore.

Looking back at the last 10 races which would be 5 with Stewart & 5 with Waltrip the finishes are as follows...
Pocono -19th
Michigan -26th
Brickyard - 23rd
Pocono - 18th
Michigan - 27th
Bristol - 20th
Atlanta - 25th
Richmond - 9th
Chicago - 17th
Loudon - 23rd

So that is 9 of 10 finishes of 17th or worst & 5 outside the top 20 & let's be honest about Richmond, he should have finished 20th or worse there as well but got extremley lucky with the caution & not pitted yet & gained about 10 or 12 spots & it was very late so there was no time to lose it but if it was early in the race, most likely would lose all those spots back.

What i have seen over the past 4 or 5 races is very poor qualifying (29th for Dover) & no progress made at all through the entire race, just riding around between 18th & 25th the entire race, can't pass anybody at all it seems & he is in good equiptment so there is no excuse for the poor results & i have to believe Tony is very disappointed in the lack of performance.

I'm sure that Mobil 1 & Bass Pro Shop is not pleased at all either although they also have every right to be upset with tony too for this whole situation, but in all honesty i would put someone else in the car at this point because it can't get much worse.

roushmartin6
09-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Well i didn't really want to say anything more about the situation but since you brought it up i would have to agree & i think maybe he may have tried to hang on for too long but just simply doesn't have it anymore.

Looking back at the last 10 races which would be 5 with Stewart & 5 with Waltrip the finishes are as follows...
Pocono -19th
Michigan -26th
Brickyard - 23rd
Pocono - 18th
Michigan - 27th
Bristol - 20th
Atlanta - 25th
Richmond - 9th
Chicago - 17th
Loudon - 23rd

So that is 9 of 10 finishes of 17th or worst & 5 outside the top 20 & let's be honest about Richmond, he should have finished 20th or worse there as well but got extremley lucky with the caution & not pitted yet & gained about 10 or 12 spots & it was very late so there was no time to lose it but if it was early in the race, most likely would lose all those spots back.

What i have seen over the past 4 or 5 races is very poor qualifying (29th for Dover) & no progress made at all through the entire race, just riding around between 18th & 25th the entire race, can't pass anybody at all it seems & he is in good equiptment so there is no excuse for the poor results & i have to believe Tony is very disappointed in the lack of performance.

I'm sure that Mobil 1 & Bass Pro Shop is not pleased at all either although they also have every right to be upset with tony too for this whole situation, but in all honesty i would put someone else in the car at this point because it can't get much worse.

Once again i'm gonna say its not all Mark. Ryan Newman is the only one who has been consistently decent for them this year and even then I don't see him as a legit threat for the championship. Steve Addington is a terrible crew chief who someone continues to find work. If you can't win with Kyle Busch, you just don't have it. When Tony got hurt, it was pretty much over. A rookie would most likely wad up a bunch of cars trying to get more out of the car than is there. Fact is, Tony has a ton or respect for Mark which is why he went to him to replace him. Also it sounds like Mark could be testing for SHR next year since Tony doesn't like to test, so you may as well get used to Mark being around.

BroncosFanInPA
09-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Once again i'm gonna say its not all Mark. Ryan Newman is the only one who has been consistently decent for them this year and even then I don't see him as a legit threat for the championship. Steve Addington is a terrible crew chief who someone continues to find work. If you can't win with Kyle Busch, you just don't have it.

Ok that part in bold is just laughable because it's just not true. I will admit Tony struggled a bit early in the year & they said they just didn't have the cars ready but i wasn't buying it & wanted Addington gone but then about the middle of the year things changed & look no further than the last 10 races tony ran...

1 win - 5 top 5's & 7 & top 10's & was running 2nd when he ran out of fuel in Loudon or he has 8 top 10's in 10 races & by comparison Newman has 6 top 5's to tony's 5 & Newman has run 29 races to 21 for tony so there are the facts that Newman has not been the most consistent but rather Tony was coming on strong the last 2 months, so go ahead & keep making excuses for Mark all you want but i have given facts not excuses.

You want to blame the crew chief, so what about the stats i gave for the last 5 races Mark had at waltrip? Nothing better than 18th & 3 finishes of 23rd or worse? Was that the crew chief there also?

And i'll say one last thing, before mark got in the 14 car Austin Dillion ran it at Michigan & finished 14th & how many cup races has he run? so your theory of a rookie wrecking a bunch of cars fails.

roushmartin6
10-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Ok that part in bold is just laughable because it's just not true. I will admit Tony struggled a bit early in the year & they said they just didn't have the cars ready but i wasn't buying it & wanted Addington gone but then about the middle of the year things changed & look no further than the last 10 races tony ran...

1 win - 5 top 5's & 7 & top 10's & was running 2nd when he ran out of fuel in Loudon or he has 8 top 10's in 10 races & by comparison Newman has 6 top 5's to tony's 5 & Newman has run 29 races to 21 for tony so there are the facts that Newman has not been the most consistent but rather Tony was coming on strong the last 2 months, so go ahead & keep making excuses for Mark all you want but i have given facts not excuses.

You want to blame the crew chief, so what about the stats i gave for the last 5 races Mark had at waltrip? Nothing better than 18th & 3 finishes of 23rd or worse? Was that the crew chief there also?

And i'll say one last thing, before mark got in the 14 car Austin Dillion ran it at Michigan & finished 14th & how many cup races has he run? so your theory of a rookie wrecking a bunch of cars fails.

Meh, i'm just going to drop it, not here to bicker about Nascar lol. I do still think that Steve Addington is not a very good crew chief and that Tony should have kept Darian Grubb

BroncosFanInPA
10-12-2013, 07:00 PM
This race is so lame...:yawn:

Was expecting some action tonight :duh:

roushmartin6
10-12-2013, 09:31 PM
This race is so lame...:yawn:

Was expecting some action tonight :duh:

I didn't get to see the race because of work but sounds like it was just another mile and half race. Wish they would add more short tracks (cough Iowa Speedway cough) :)

Peanut
10-13-2013, 12:24 AM
I don't doubt that manipulating the system has always gone on. It's just never been so blatant. Everyone ignored it before, but it's hard to ignore this one.

The leader pulls over so a teammate can lead a lap to get points. Happens all the time and is considered smart teamwork.

Pitting/slowing down so a teammate can pick up extra points. Spinning out or throwing something (water bottle) onto the track to cause a caution. Entering cars that haven't run all year. NASCAR's "debris on the track" for a caution, but they can't find it. What's the difference?

I'm not saying I condone it. I don't. What I'm saying, again, is that it happens all the time. It's about time it got exposed. Maybe they'll go back to the old points system. Maybe they'll go back to racing.

Unfortunately, the people involved from last week are going to pay for something that everyone's been doing. Be made an example of.

PA, I've been thinking about Johnson. He had such a big lead in points. I thought it odd for a team to do so good and then go to the other extreme and do so bad. It almost (should have) got Gordon in the Chase. I told hubby, wait until next week. Johnson's going back to his hot streak. They "found" something.

Surprised? I'm not.

Second in points. Previous 4 races, average finish was like 36th. Last 4 races, can't remember what they said. Average finish 3rd?

The Chase starts and BOOM, they find something. Amazing, isn't it?

BroncosFanInPA
10-13-2013, 08:28 AM
I didn't get to see the race because of work but sounds like it was just another mile and half race. Wish they would add more short tracks (cough Iowa Speedway cough) :)

Yeah it was the typical 1.5 mile race...boring.

And i agree with you about changing things up with different tracks & i really wish they would move some of the chase races around & mix them up from year to year & not have the same 10 all the time but i don't see that happening, god forbid nascar have to move races around. :rolleyes:

BroncosFanInPA
10-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Surprised? I'm not.

Second in points. Previous 4 races, average finish was like 36th. Last 4 races, can't remember what they said. Average finish 3rd?

The Chase starts and BOOM, they find something. Amazing, isn't it?

Good call Peanut :clap:

It really makes things look fishy now don't it?

roushmartin6
10-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Yeah it was the typical 1.5 mile race...boring.

And i agree with you about changing things up with different tracks & i really wish they would move some of the chase races around & mix them up from year to year & not have the same 10 all the time but i don't see that happening, god forbid nascar have to move races around. :rolleyes:

Yea with declining attendance, only a select tracks need two dates. Daytona should get two, Dega maybe two, and after that only one date per track. Attendance goes up for those tracks while people who can't afford to travel maybe get to see a race.

Peanut
10-19-2013, 10:55 PM
'Dega and Daytona make me nervous. Kyle Busch cracked the inside wall in the truck race tonight. He's going to be sore.

roushmartin6
10-20-2013, 11:53 PM
'Dega and Daytona make me nervous. Kyle Busch cracked the inside wall in the truck race tonight. He's going to be sore.

They wanted pack racing back and those are the risks. Honestly i loved the tandem racing, it was exciting, required strategy and teamwork, and there was actually passing and not freight training up against the wall. Also I feel bad for Austin Dillon but thats excatly why Mark told Tony he would do all the races but Dega, that exact reason.

BroncosFanInPA
10-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Well what a shocker, no big one at Talladega? seriously? when is the last time that happened?

The way the race finished was very bizarre as well, riding around single file around the top of the track all the way to the end? for real? I understand why they sometimes do that in the middle of the race, but to run the last 10 or 15 laps that way was just strange.

And perhaps even more strange was but for a few, nobody even made an effort to get out of line & make a move, i never recall a dega race ending in that fashion.

Oh well the drivers are the ones who control things out there & maybe they all just are fed up with the big crashes but what made things even more bizarre is the fact with roughly 25-30 laps to go they were 3 wide about 8-10 rows deep bumper to bumper racing like they always have in the past & it apperead it was coming & then suddenly they lined up & stayed that way, very wierd.

Peanut
10-23-2013, 12:37 AM
I just watched the race tonight, so I've been avoiding this thread.

It was an odd race. I'm glad there wasn't a "Big One". That last crash was scary enough.

I'm not much of a Dillon fan (either one). First, glad he's okay. Second, that was cute when he held up the steering wheel.

Jr would have made his move in turn 4. Would have been interesting if the caution didn't come out.

roushmartin6
10-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Well what a shocker, no big one at Talladega? seriously? when is the last time that happened?

The way the race finished was very bizarre as well, riding around single file around the top of the track all the way to the end? for real? I understand why they sometimes do that in the middle of the race, but to run the last 10 or 15 laps that way was just strange.

And perhaps even more strange was but for a few, nobody even made an effort to get out of line & make a move, i never recall a dega race ending in that fashion.

Oh well the drivers are the ones who control things out there & maybe they all just are fed up with the big crashes but what made things even more bizarre is the fact with roughly 25-30 laps to go they were 3 wide about 8-10 rows deep bumper to bumper racing like they always have in the past & it apperead it was coming & then suddenly they lined up & stayed that way, very wierd.

I remember them doing that in the mid 2000s at Dega, just single file up against the wall, pretty boring stuff, everyone afraid to make a move because they might lose 20 spots.

Peanut
10-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Congrats to Darrell Wallace Jr for his first NASCAR win. I like this guy.

We have another feud going. Harvick VS Rich Kid.

I do agree with Harvick that Dillon was pushing it. He did it to Wallace early in the race. But, Harvick didn't bump anyone, right? :D

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/10/26/kevin-harvick-ty-dillon-martinsville-wreck-war-of-words-rcr-drivers.html

roushmartin6
10-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Congrats to Darrell Wallace Jr for his first NASCAR win. I like this guy.

We have another feud going. Harvick VS Rich Kid.

I do agree with Harvick that Dillon was pushing it. He did it to Wallace early in the race. But, Harvick didn't bump anyone, right? :D

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/10/26/kevin-harvick-ty-dillon-martinsville-wreck-war-of-words-rcr-drivers.html

Going to be an awkward (if it wasn't already) rest of the season for Harvick and his team lol

roushmartin6
10-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Also its kinda scary that Danica will be the level headed driver next year at SHR

Southstander
11-07-2013, 10:50 PM
I am hoping my boy Jimmie Johnson can finish strong and lock down #6.

AZ Snake Fan
11-08-2013, 01:04 PM

I am hoping my boy Jimmie Johnson can finish strong and lock down #6.
Southy, although I am happy for you that your Sox did well, I would like to see Johnson AND Kenseth both wind up with DNFs here at PIR AND at Homestead. I am so sick of the entire focus of NASCAR on these two guys. It's like everyone feels this championship is preordained. This is racing, anything can happen. Sorry, no offense Southy :D

Southstander
11-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Southy, although I am happy for you that your Sox did well, I would like to see Johnson AND Kenseth both wind up with DNFs here at PIR AND at Homestead. I am so sick of the entire focus of NASCAR on these two guys. It's like everyone feels this championship is preordained. This is racing, anything can happen. Sorry, no offense Southy :D

No worries AZ!

------------

Jimmie has the pole. This might be a good sign...

roushmartin6
11-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Martin's racing career may be over after Homestead: #14-Mark Martin's legendary racing career may be over after next week. While he wouldn't use the "retirement" word Friday while talking with reporters  he says the word has burned him in the past  Martin strongly hinted he would not race in 2014 and beyond. Martin said he made the decision not to race in January and has kept it between his friends and family. When he finished third in February's Daytona 500, he said he was pleased knowing it would be his last one. "It's time for me to open a new chapter," Martin said during a 24-minute interview Friday at Phoenix International Raceway. Martin will do testing next season for Stewart-Haas Racing, where he currently drives. He will test Tony Stewart's No. 14 car in January at Daytona, then attend most or all of SHR's tests in 2014 to provide feedback or a second opinion.(USA Today)(11-9-2013)

Well, I knew this was coming but I'm still extremely sad. I won't much enthusiasm to watch nascar as I use to. My room and a room downstairs is decked out with Mark Martin and Denver Broncos items.Its also a shame that the season is almost over because Mark and the 14 car seemed to be clicking better the last two weeks. I don't know, i'm just bummed that he won't be racing anymore and his son gave up racing a few years ago too so don't even have that to look forward to either

Peanut
11-09-2013, 12:21 AM
I know how you feel. My main driver for awhile was Mike Skinner. He got "pushed" into retirement. I just had to find another driver. I have a handful of drivers I pull for but decided Kyle Busch would be the main one.

Sadly, it looks like Bobby Labonte might be out, too.

BroncosFanInPA
11-09-2013, 06:58 AM
I too can understand how you feel after tony went down & has missed the last 3 months of the season, it sucks. I still watch for the most part when our broncos aren't on but it is not the same, the interest level is not as much.

Fortunately for me tony will be back, he was just out due to injury but clearly has more racing in him.

Racing is a unique sport unlike all others because it's an individual that you are rooting for & not a team like football, baseball etc. etc. Yes it is a "race team" & many individuals make it up but in the end it's the driver we cheer for & once that driver decides it's time to hang it up, well he is gone even though that race team may still be there.

There comes a time when every athlete has come to the end of the road but in auto racing, it's harder to accept because we won't ever see "our guy" again.

But our broncos...players come & players go but the broncos are always there for us.

Mark had a good run, long career with alot of success & i would love nothing more than to see him close out super strong & maybe win one of these last two races. :salute:

Southstander
11-09-2013, 08:30 PM
:Salute: to Mark and Bobby.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3183/2616864435_41fef87d62_z.jpg?zz=1

http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/l/labontebobby04.jpg

roushmartin6
11-10-2013, 11:32 PM
:Salute: to Mark and Bobby.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3183/2616864435_41fef87d62_z.jpg?zz=1

http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/l/labontebobby04.jpg

Back when Nascar was Nascar. No gear rules, no tuning rules, no every car in the field can go to the end of the race on the same tank of gas at this lap. Drivers were put in cars based on performance, not how much sponsorship they brought. Twas a simpler time, a better time lol

BroncosFanInPA
11-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Well isn't it just great that Kenseth & his crew just laid an egg & choked the chase away & thus given the #48 a walk in the park for the cup. :rolleyes:

Southstander
11-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Even if Matt Kenseth leads the most laps and wins Jimmie just needs to finish 23rd or better.

roushmartin6
11-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Well isn't it just great that Kenseth & his crew just laid an egg & choked the chase away & thus given the #48 a walk in the park for the cup. :rolleyes:

He could always blow a motor...........yea he has it wrapped up............. :(

Peanut
11-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Headline on Yahoo:

Ashley Judd's estranged husband, Dario Franchitti, announced that he's retiring from race car driving due to injuries

Four-time IndyCar Series champion and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and he's reduced to "Ashley Judd's estranged husband". SMH.

Not the way he wanted to go out, but I'm glad he's playing it smart.

roushmartin6
11-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Headline on Yahoo:

Ashley Judd's estranged husband, Dario Franchitti, announced that he's retiring from race car driving due to injuries

Four-time IndyCar Series champion and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and he's reduced to "Ashley Judd's estranged husband". SMH.

Feel bad anytime an athlete can't do what they anymore because of an accident. Enjoy retirement Dario!

AZ Snake Fan
11-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Headline on Yahoo:

That will probably be Montoya's ride now.
Farewell Dario.

Peanut
11-16-2013, 11:45 PM
That will probably be Montoya's ride now.
Farewell Dario.

That would be a good fit for him.

Congrats to Matt Crafton for the Truck championship. 13 years and he finally won. Good for him. KBM for the owner championship.

Labonte might go to the trucks if he can't get a Cup ride. Try to go for the triple.

Truck series---where the new hopefuls start and the older drivers go before retiring. It's really a good mix.

AZ Snake Fan
11-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Congrats to 6 time Jimmy Johnson !!!
Good race Hamlin, Jr. and Kenseth !!!
Here's to Daytona 2014 !!!
:beer: :beer: