PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

BroncosFanInPA
06-20-2014, 08:13 PM
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/6/20/nascar-sprint-cup-tony-stewart-warns-kyle-larson-sonoma.html

SONOMA, California -- Although reporters were still asking questions Friday about an on-track incident last week between rookie Kyle Larson and veteran Tony Stewart, the drivers were ready to put things behind them.

Mostly.

While Larson said Thursday he's chalked up the whole thing as a learning experience, Stewart issued a stern "suggestion" Friday in between practices at Sonoma Raceway.

"He'll learn it's not a good idea,'' Stewart said of Larson blocking him during a restart last Sunday at Michigan that damaged Stewart's No. 14 Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevy and possibly negated what Stewart felt would have been a top-five finish. Stewart finished 11th.

"If he didn't learn it last week, he'll learn it in the next couple of weeks," Stewart said. "We had a really good car. We had a top-five car for sure, and a top-three car in my opinion according to listening to our lap times and what the leaders were running. And then on a restart, he swerves over to block us and puts a big hole in the nose that we've got to come in and fix. By the time we get it fixed, we're buried so far back at the end of a race like that, we couldn't do anything.

"So, I think he'll learn, just like we all learned when we were rookies, one way or the other.

"He'll either slow down enough and think about what he's doing or he'll be forced in a situation where he'll have time to think about it and they'll still be cars on the race track."

Larson acknowledged this week he was "mirror driving" and said he knew immediately the three-time Sprint Cup champ was going to be frustrated by it.

"On the restart, he lined up behind me, and I was mirror driving and saw him go to the right so I went to right, felt him hit me and thought, 'Tony's going to be pissed,' so I pulled up top, let him by and drove around him a couple corners later," Larson said on Thursday. "When the (next) caution came out, I knew what was going to happen, and I knew he was going to pull next to me and show me he wasn't happy."

But, Larson also contends, a lot of false drama is being created about the incident.

"It's not as if I did something real bad to him,'' said Larson, who finished eighth at Michigan in the No. 42 Target Chevrolet and is ranked eighth in the championship standings.

"I'm real good friends with Tony, but it doesn't matter on the race track, we all know how super competitive he is. I'm not too worried about it.

"Maybe he's just trying to intimidate me or treat me (like the new kid.) I get that. I understand that.

"It's really not a big deal yet. We haven't wrecked each other or anything major. I really don't think it's a big deal."

I like it, sounds like smoke is getting the fire back

Peanut
06-21-2014, 09:11 PM
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/6/20/nascar-sprint-cup-tony-stewart-warns-kyle-larson-sonoma.html

I like it, sounds like smoke is getting the fire back

I like Larson's composure. That's all I'm going to say. :D

Great NW race. We DVRed it. We always add extra time for the recording. Not enough today. It stopped with 4 laps to go. Went online to see if Tag won. Gaughn? So I had to go looking to see what happened. Clip here, clip there, I pieced together some of what happened. Caution, Tag runs out of fuel, and saw the last lap. I don't know where Tag restarted. Not too bad for finishing second. I think this is more his style. His aggression in IndyCar got him into trouble. Right now, he's only in trouble with Chase. :D

BroncosFanInPA
06-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Well stupid tony blew another one today, way to go smoke! :clap: keep up the great work :thumb:

2 times in 3 weeks speeding under yellow :duh:

And he could have had a shot at the win because he was on the same strategy that earnhart was on & he finished 3rd, tony would have restarted 10th & his car was slightly better than jr's at the end & the 88 was closing on the lead, so i believe tony could have had a shot to win.

Awesome job today tony! awesome job!:doh: Keep this up & my original thought of you missing the chase is very real possibility. :mad:

roushmartin6
06-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Was an ok race, was pulling for the underdogs like AJ and Marcos. Too bad Jr decided to run AJ right in the wall and take out Kenseth. Also I read today that Home Depot is leaving Nascar, they have been sponsoring the 20 car since 1999!

Southstander
06-23-2014, 10:15 PM
I am not talking about compeat my for Championships. I am saying she needs to win races to prove she is not all sizzle and no steak.

Peanut
06-26-2014, 10:24 PM
5 out of 5 in the Truck series this year. :D

Jaws
06-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Where's the next race and who won the last one?

OUt of the loop.
Been busy with school, babysitting and World Cup and Wimbledon are taking up the rest of my reserves.

Should be back to Nascar attention mode in a few weeks :D

roushmartin6
06-27-2014, 01:29 AM

OUt of the loop.
Been busy with school, babysitting and World Cup and Wimbledon are taking up the rest of my reserves.

Last Race was at Sonoma/Infineon/Sears Point (whatever you want to call the track now) and was won by Carl Edwards. This week's race is at Kentucky Speedway and is Saturday night. I will miss this one because I will be working.

Jaws
06-27-2014, 01:41 AM
Thank you Roush :D

samparnell
06-27-2014, 05:43 AM

OUt of the loop.

Richard Hammond of Top Gear is a Nascar fan.

AZ Snake Fan
06-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Really ?
This is just me but....
Kevin Harvick, Brad K, Kyle Busch, Paul Menard....???

I'm getting tired of seeing Sprint veteran drivers in the NWS races.
I think it's ok for Sprint Cup rookies like the Larsons or Dillons.
The NWS should be training races for future Sprint Cup drivers

Do these guys need the money that bad ?

Besides, Sprint Cup drivers, especially those with Cup wins, look silly driving so slow in the NWS. :D

BroncosFanInPA
06-27-2014, 08:03 PM

Really ?
This is just me but....

Besides, Sprint Cup drivers, especially those with Cup wins, look silly driving so slow in the NWS. :D

Ha Ha! I was thinking the same thing AZ...I flipped it on when there was like 25 laps to go & saw who was in the top 5 & was like seriously? what the heck are they doing?

Honestly i don't believe it's about the money but rather trying to gain an advantage on their competition for the cup race which is pathetic if you ask me.

Side note: Chase Elliot made a mistake by forcing the issue & running into bayne but he should learn from that experience, he is still young & growing so to speak.

I will be missing the cup race :( but it will be worth it...taking my family to my work picnic at hershey park.

Anyway enjoy the race, hope it's a good one. :thumb:

Peanut
06-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Ha Ha! I was thinking the same thing AZ...I flipped it on when there was like 25 laps to go & saw who was in the top 5 & was like seriously? what the heck are they doing?

Honestly i don't believe it's about the money but rather trying to gain an advantage on their competition for the cup race which is pathetic if you ask me.

Side note: Chase Elliot made a mistake by forcing the issue & running into bayne but he should learn from that experience, he is still young & growing so to speak.

I will be missing the cup race :( but it will be worth it...taking my family to my work picnic at hershey park.

Anyway enjoy the race, hope it's a good one. :thumb:

Have fun. I really enjoy Hershey Park. Chocolate!

Watch Tony win tomorrow. :D

roushmartin6
06-28-2014, 01:00 AM

Really ?
This is just me but....

I agree, it has gotten out of hand. Back in the day guys like Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, etc would run a few Busch Series races in a season, but not 98% of them! Nascar claims it puts people in the stands, well that wasn't a problem a few years ago. There are only 42 cars here for the Cup race this week! Thats pathetic. Even with the 44 car withdrawing, BK Racing has to field a 4th car just to get to 42! Brian France has been the death of Nascar since he took over. Sadly if you want to develop young talent, you have to run them in the truck series because the Nationwide series has become Cup long practice presented by Nationwide.

Peanut
06-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Brad's growing on me. I hope his hand will be okay for the next race.

ELWAY421
06-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Another solid top five finish for the 88.....

AZ Snake Fan
07-05-2014, 10:52 PM

NWS race was a good one.
Chase, Larson, Reed all did well.
Fuel was the nemesis for lots of drivers at the end.
Thought Regan Smith had it for sure and then Kahne came out of nowhere.
Wow !
That was a wild finish !!!

The rain delayed Sprint Cup race is scheduled for an 11 am EST start Sunday.
We'll see.
Local weather link: http://mynews13.com/stormtracker13.html
Clear over the area now.
Imagine the dryers will be working all night.

Track will be green, hope it has grip.
If the race gets started tomorrow and if there is any chance for weather coming in,
watch for them all to be full tilt bozo to try to get to the halfway mark.

Hope the rain is gone and I'm glad tomorrow is not Monday ! :D

Peanut
07-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I enjoyed the NW race.

I hope the Cup guys are careful out there (I call everyone "guy" so that includes Patrick :D ).

BroncosFanInPA
07-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Terrible race! what a joke. :clap:

That's all i got to say.

Freyaka
07-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Terrible race! what a joke. :clap:

That's all i got to say.

Couldn't agree more...I was so freaking excited because Bobby was finally in a car with an RCR engine in it and looked like he had a contender (dropped all the way back and within laps was threatening for the lead) He kept hanging out at the back to avoid the boneheaded dingbats at the front and he still got caught up in the big one at the end. I hope they give him a few more races in that car. I want to see what he does with a competitive ride.

roushmartin6
07-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Race sucked but glad to see Aric get his first win and the famous 43 back in victory lane. I wanted them to go back green and see Almirola, Mears, Mcdowel, and even Terry Labonte battle it out lol

AZ Snake Fan
07-07-2014, 03:41 PM

NASCAR's top team owners form business alliance

July 7, 2014

The Race Team Alliance:
Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, Hendrick Motorsports, Joe Gibbs Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing, Richard Childress Racing, Richard Petty Motorsports, Roush Fenway Racing, Stewart-Haas Racing and Team Penske.
More:http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/nascar-s-top-team-owners-form-business-alliance-070714

Peanut
07-10-2014, 11:47 PM

NASCAR's top team owners form business alliance

July 7, 2014

The Race Team Alliance:
Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, Hendrick Motorsports, Joe Gibbs Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing, Richard Childress Racing, Richard Petty Motorsports, Roush Fenway Racing, Stewart-Haas Racing and Team Penske.
More:http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/nascar-s-top-team-owners-form-business-alliance-070714

That's going to be interesting. Seems like it should be for the smaller teams, if what they say is true about their objectives.

Hey, Frey, more Bobby. :D

Bobby Labonte hopes to run more races for Circle Sport: 2000 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Bobby Labonte ran the #33 Thunder Coal Chevy at Daytona on Sunday's rain-delayed race at Daytona International Speedway, finishing XX. Circle Sport #33 owner Joe Falk told Motorsports.com on Thursday at Daytona: "If we get a sponsor we could run more races, We're hoping to put together three or four more races for Bobby [Labonte]. We plan on running the 33 and 40 car each week no matter what. Landon Cassill will be in the 40 car every week from here on out. We almost have that car sold out. Bobby really likes Richmond and we'd also like him to run at Indianapolis. Hopefully, we can put something together."(Motorsport)(7-9-2014)

BroncosFanInPA
07-11-2014, 04:04 PM
This is the week the drought ends, i'm going babe ruth here & calling it for smoke because New Hampshire is one of his best tracks...

Stewart is a three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race winner at New Hampshire (July 2000, July 2005 and September 2011) and owns the best driver rating at the 1.058-mile oval (111.0). His laps led total in Loudon (1,302) is second only to Jeff Gordon’s total of 1,352 laps led, yet Gordon has made nine more starts than Stewart. Stewart and Gordon are the only two drivers to lead more than 800 laps at New Hampshire.

The first of his three Sprint Cup wins came in July 2000, where Stewart dominated, leading 156 of the 273 laps in the rain-shortened race. Sprint Cup win No. 2 came in July 2005, a year in which Stewart proved to be rock solid in the Granite State, as he finished second in his return to New Hampshire in September. Of the 600 laps available in those two races, Stewart led 405 laps (67.5 percent).

Even when Stewart left the comfort of Joe Gibbs Racing at the end of the 2008 season to become a driver/owner at SHR, his prowess at New Hampshire remained wicked good. From 2009 through 2013, Stewart has led 366 laps at New Hampshire with the high-water mark coming in 2011, where SHR swept the track’s poles and races.

So those are some very impressive stats, mainly laps led & confidence has got to be high especially after qualifying 4th...no matter what struggles tony has had at different points in certain years, he has always run super strong at the flat 1.0 mile know as "The Magic Mile"

roushmartin6
07-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Was on vacation this week and was able to catch the truck race from my home track. Can't believe Toyota has won every truck race this year, thats unreal

BroncosFanInPA
07-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Well i guess that's what i get for running my mouth so to speak :doh: what an aboslutely pathetic performance by the 14, forget about the 7th place finish...no pun intended but it was another smoke & mirror finish because for much of the race he ran outside the top 15.

Thanks for making me look like a fool tony & the whole 14 team :clap:

I'm sure they expected alot better performance than what they put out there today & if some kind of change is not made soon then tony has no chance of competing for the chase & another championship becuase this crew chief is just not getting it done!!!!

I will never say anything again about him winning because i really stuck my foot in my mouth on this one & one last thing & i know i've said it before but....this is without doubt hands down the worst performance of tony's career in any single season & i just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel as long as he keeps the same personal.

roushmartin6
07-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Well i guess that's what i get for running my mouth so to speak :doh: what an aboslutely pathetic performance by the 14, forget about the 7th place finish...no pun intended but it was another smoke & mirror finish because for much of the race he ran outside the top 15.

Thanks for making me look like a fool tony & the whole 14 team :clap:

I'm sure they expected alot better performance than what they put out there today & if some kind of change is not made soon then tony has no chance of competing for the chase & another championship becuase this crew chief is just not getting it done!!!!

I will never say anything again about him winning because i really stuck my foot in my mouth on this one & one last thing & i know i've said it before but....this is without doubt hands down the worst performance of tony's career in any single season & i just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel as long as he keeps the same personal.

Its a miracle Tony finished 7th, he thought the alternator was going out early in the race. Tony screwed up big time firing Grubb after winning the championship. The car struggled last year with both Tony and Mark driving it and has continued this year. He needs to find yet another crew chief or just bite the bullet and put Zippy on the pit box already, time is running out. I missed the last hundred laps because I didn't feel like watching Brad dominate the race anymore and went swimming in my pool lol.

BroncosFanInPA
07-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Its a miracle Tony finished 7th, he thought the alternator was going out early in the race. Tony screwed up big time firing Grubb after winning the championship. The car struggled last year with both Tony and Mark driving it and has continued this year. He needs to find yet another crew chief or just bite the bullet and put Zippy on the pit box already, time is running out. I missed the last hundred laps because I didn't feel like watching Brad dominate the race anymore and went swimming in my pool lol.

I completely agree & i have to think he is kicking himself over it & i would love for him to get zippy back on the box but i doubt it will happen.

Like i said, he is by far having the worst season of his career....previous single season lows are as follows

TOP 5 - 9
TOP 10 - 16
LAPS LED - 414

current season totals after 19 races(1 past halfway)

TOP 5 - 2
TOP 10 - 6
LAPS LED - 102

So as you can see those numbers are awful compared to even his worst season lows, he is not even on pace to get half of those previous lows. :ugh:

ELWAY421
07-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Earnhardt: I didn't mean to wreck him just meant to rattle his cage.

Labonte: Has he ever meant to wreck anyone?

I miss the #3!!!

roushmartin6
07-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Earnhardt: I didn't mean to wreck him just meant to rattle his cage.

Labonte: Has he ever meant to wreck anyone?

I miss the #3!!!

I miss Mark Martin (and whatever car he was driving but he will always be #6)

ELWAY421
07-17-2014, 01:24 AM
I miss Mark Martin (and whatever car he was driving but he will always be #6)

Even though I was a Dale Sr guy & a Chevy guy I have to say I liked Mark, how could you not, Mark is just a good guy.... Didn't he have Folgers as a sponser back in the day?

Canmore
07-17-2014, 01:32 AM
I miss the 9 car...Bill Elliott.

ELWAY421
07-17-2014, 01:41 AM
I miss the 9 car...Bill Elliott.

Coors!!! I thought I was the only late nighter left. Waiting to get off work!!!

Canmore
07-17-2014, 01:59 AM
Coors!!! I thought I was the only late nighter left. Waiting to get off work!!!

Yes! The monster of the super speedways.

roushmartin6
07-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Even though I was a Dale Sr guy & a Chevy guy I have to say I liked Mark, how could you not, Mark is just a good guy.... Didn't he have Folgers as a sponser back in the day?

Yup right before Valvoline. Just not the same watching Nascar without Mark :(

ELWAY421
07-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Yup right before Valvoline. Just not the same watching Nascar without Mark :(

I feel the same way, hasn't been the same since Daytona 2001...

roushmartin6
07-18-2014, 11:19 AM
I feel the same way, hasn't been the same since Daytona 2001...

No it has not for sure but at least we have saved sooooooooo many more drivers since then with the improvements in safety. We have seen a ton of horrible wrecks that were a lot worse than Dale's and they walk away from them. I think Big E would be proud of that at least.

BroncosFanInPA
07-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Looks like Tony has got back on the horse that threw him down...the man loves to race & i guess he's gonna do what he loves to do.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/11233975/tony-stewart-back-racing-sprint-cars-wreck

Tony Stewart was back in a sprint car on Friday night, the same series he raced in when he broke two bones in his right leg.

It was unknown if this is Stewart's first sprint car race this season because he didn't announce when he'd compete. Stewart is available because the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series is off this weekend.

Stewart's runs were posted on Facebook and Twitter. Dirt track star Dustin Daggett tweeted a photo of Stewart's No. 14 car at Tri-City Motor Speedway in Auburn, Michigan. Daggett also tweeted, "Raced hard in heat against Tony Stewart! But we got him, now for the Feature!"

Daggett says he was leading the feature race late, but went off track and Stewart claimed the win.

Stewart crashed last year at Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa, where he flipped his 360 winged sprint car while leading with five laps remaining in the 30-lap feature. He missed the final 15 Cup races last year after breaking his leg in two places.

Stewart posted several pictures to his new Twitter account in May of a car he drove for a test session. He also posted that the car had safety improvements to the torque tube to prevent an injury such as the one he suffered

Anyway, we are heading out to our local short track later for some good short track saturday night racing.

BroncosFanInPA
07-20-2014, 07:22 PM
So here are a few pictures of our night at the track...

My daughter in one of the cars driven by the female in the next pic

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_231001992.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_231118008.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_230623345.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_194137487.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_231216337.jpg

roushmartin6
07-20-2014, 07:25 PM

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_231001992.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_231118008.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_230623345.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_194137487.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_231216337.jpg

Awesome pics, local racing is some of the best. I haven't been out to my local dirt track in years because I work every Friday and Saturday night.

AZ Snake Fan
07-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Way cool PA !!!
You are an awesome Dad !
:D

BroncosFanInPA
07-22-2014, 04:31 PM
One more picture for AZ ^^^

I know you were kidding in the CP you sent, but i should have mentioned that was one of my boys ha ha! :laugh: besides i will have her on lockdown for a while :nono: as she is only 11

Anyway here are the three of them, my boys are 16 & 13

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/IMG_20140719_193749281.jpg

AZ Snake Fan
07-23-2014, 06:05 PM

Great looking youngsters you have there PA !!!
More parents should be inter-active with their children like you are.
Seems like you went all out and had the run of that short track.
Awesome pic of your daughter in the car and with its driver, Jayme Beck.
Teaches your kids that they can accomplish anything if they really want to ! ;)
Good on you PA !!!

btw,
Hope Smoke gets a win soon to make the Chase :thumb:

roushmartin6
07-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Well the Mudsummer Classic at Eldora didn't disappoint. I was hoping Kyle Larson could pull off the win but he hit the wall one too many times lol. Happy Bubba got the win but hate that KBM has won yet another truck race this year

BroncosFanInPA
07-24-2014, 04:57 AM
Well the Mudsummer Classic at Eldora didn't disappoint. I was hoping Kyle Larson could pull off the win but he hit the wall one too many times lol. Happy Bubba got the win but hate that KBM has won yet another truck race this year

It was a good show & yeah larson wasn't just hitting the wall, he was trying to knock it down lol! :laugh: I seriously was laughing in those last 10-15 laps & thinking how much longer can he keep doing that.

You have to give the kid credit for trying though :clap:

roushmartin6
07-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Looks like Carl Edwards is leaving Roush after this year. Doesn't surprise me, they have been in a constant decline since they wouldn't let Mark run a partial schedule in 2007. With Edwards leaving they will still only have 3 teams and so far are the second best Ford team after Penske. Rumor is Edwards will be with Gibbs in a 4th car

Freyaka
07-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Does anyone else watch the races via DirecTv? Now that it switched to ESPN I can no longer record races and I'm being told that it's because "ESPN doesn't allow recording of their programming"

Peanut
07-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Does anyone else watch the races via DirecTv? Now that it switched to ESPN I can no longer record races and I'm being told that it's because "ESPN doesn't allow recording of their programming"

I don't have DirecTV and I can record programs on ESPN.

BroncosFanInPA
07-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Change needs to happen NOW!! :fight:

Good god this is pathetic to watch week after week! :ugh:

Peanut
07-27-2014, 03:18 PM

It was a good show & yeah larson wasn't just hitting the wall, he was trying to knock it down lol! :laugh: I seriously was laughing in those last 10-15 laps & thinking how much longer can he keep doing that.

You have to give the kid credit for trying though :clap:

We've been on vacation so I just watched the race Friday. It was very entertaining. Just think how good Larson would be if he could just keep it off the wall. :D

He did good today.

Congrats to Jeff!

roushmartin6
07-27-2014, 11:06 PM

I have Direct Tv. Are you talking about a dvd recorder or a dvr? I have two dvd recorders in my house, one of them I can't record certain channels but the other I can no problems

roushmartin6
07-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Change needs to happen NOW!! :fight:

Good god this is pathetic to watch week after week! :ugh:

Yea Tony's chase hopes are drying up quickly. Watkins Glen may be his last best hope but then you have the real road course aces like Ambrose, Allmendinger, Gordon, etc to deal with as well

NFL_fanatic
07-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone. Big Kurt Busch fan here. Please don't boo. :)

Peanut
07-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone. Big Kurt Busch fan here. Please don't boo. :)

Welcome!

Kurt has kind of grown on me. I think he still has his moments, but don't we all? :D

BroncosFanInPA
07-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Yea Tony's chase hopes are drying up quickly. Watkins Glen may be his last best hope but then you have the real road course aces like Ambrose, Allmendinger, Gordon, etc to deal with as well

It doesn't matter, that team doesn't belong in the chase & would certainly not do anything on the chance they did get in.

Which is why a change should occur now & not at the end of the season like he did with grubb a couple years back

NFL_fanatic
07-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Welcome!

Kurt has kind of grown on me. I think he still has his moments, but don't we all? :D

Hello there. Kurt has grown a lot, I think. I am so proud of him for his Indy 500 run. He's a hella driver.

It's great to be here.

Peanut
07-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Hello there. Kurt has grown a lot, I think. I am so proud of him for his Indy 500 run. He's a hella driver.

It's great to be here.

He did do good at Indy. Open wheel is my first love.

I find myself cheering for him and it's like, What am I doing?!? :D

BroncosFanInPA
07-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Darian Grubb suspended 6 races & Hamlin loses 75 points (no big deal there cause he has a win)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR suspended Denny Hamlin's crew chief and car chief on Tuesday for six races because the Joe Gibbs Racing entry failed inspection following his third-place finish at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Denny Hamlin's crew chief Darian Grubb was suspended six races after the No. 11 Toyota failed inspection at Indianapolis.
Darian Grubb and Wesley Sherrill were both suspended through the Sept. 6 race at Richmond. Grubb, the crew chief, was also fined $125,000.

It strips Hamlin of two vital crew members during the stretch of the season he would be putting the finishing touches on preparations for NASCAR's title-deciding, 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup championship. Grubb and Sherrill, who also each received six months' probation, are not eligible to return until the Chase opener, Sept. 14 at Chicago.

JGR said in a statement it will appeal the penalty, but Grubb and Sherrill will begin serving their suspensions immediately. Under NASCAR rules, suspended competitors can compete until the appeal process is complete, but delaying sitting out would extend the suspensions into the Chase should JGR not get portions of the penalty overturned.

Also, Hamlin and team owner Joe Gibbs were docked 75 points apiece in the driver and owner standings. It dropped Hamlin from 11th to 21st in the Sprint Cup standings. But, as a race winner already this season, Hamlin is likely guaranteed a spot in the 16-driver Chase field.

Hamlin's car failed post-race inspection Sunday because NASCAR said it found issues with several of the covers in the rear firewall of the driver compartment. Loose or missing covers could vent the driver compartment and create more downforce for the car.

The penalty was considered a P5 infraction under the scale NASCAR implemented this season. It clearly defines penalties and their punishments on a P1 to P6 scale.

Penalties found post-race are subjected to an additional 25 point deduction and an increase of the fine by up to $50,000 than if they would have been found before the race. NASCAR has deemed a P5 penalty so serious, it does not consider intent.

"P5 penalties, in general, are extremely serious," the rule book states. "They represent other key safety areas not mentioned elsewhere in this (penalty) section and potentially performance-related areas of the car that might or might not afford a competition advantage, but with a violation occurring in such a fashion that it would be naive to attribute the violation to an accident, omission, or misunderstanding, even if it was an accident, omission, or misunderstanding."

Very cute of Nascar to make it 6 races considering there are 6 races until the chase, so he will return in time for the chase to start.

ELWAY421
07-31-2014, 04:38 AM
I'll be going to the Nationwide race here in a couple of weeks at Mid Ohio... I'll also be at the Indy Car race at Mid Ohio this weekend. :D

roushmartin6
07-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Well Mark is going back home to Roush to be a drivers coach. Maybe they will start to run up front again?

BroncosFanInPA
07-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Well Mark is going back home to Roush to be a drivers coach. Maybe they will start to run up front again?

Hard to figure out what's going on at Roush...first Kenseth leaves & now Edwards is going & those were his top two most consistent drivers.

Now they are left with 44 year old Biffle, who can still race but is inconsistent in recent years & then Stenhouse & Bayne.

Not exactly world beaters there & one would have to say that Roush has definitely taken a few steps backwards, but perhaps mark can teach the lads a thing or two.

roushmartin6
08-01-2014, 12:53 AM
Hard to figure out what's going on at Roush...first Kenseth leaves & now Edwards is going & those were his top two most consistent drivers.

Now they are left with 44 year old Biffle, who can still race but is inconsistent in recent years & then Stenhouse & Bayne.

Not exactly world beaters there & one would have to say that Roush has definitely taken a few steps backwards, but perhaps mark can teach the lads a thing or two.

In my opinion it started back in 2007 when they wouldn't let Mark run only part time and instead replaced him with David Ragan. I know Mark has said he doesn't want to drive again, in the back of my mind i'm secretly hoping the Wood Brothers will ask him to run their car in the Daytona 500

BroncosFanInPA
08-03-2014, 01:44 PM
When it rains, it pours ha ha! :laugh:

This is starting to remind me of the days of josh mcdaniels as our coach :ugh:

Freyaka
08-03-2014, 07:02 PM
When it rains, it pours ha ha! :laugh:

This is starting to remind me of the days of josh mcdaniels as our coach :ugh:

At least Jimmy is struggling the last several races too!

Peanut
08-04-2014, 11:26 PM
We went to Sears Point on Wednesday as the trucks came in for the NHRA. We couldn't walk around the track because of that, but we got some good pictures of turn 11 and got to go into the gift shop.

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/green-10/IMG_20140723_104624_946_zps59e787db.jpg

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/green-10/IMG_1739_zps5e859d29.jpg

Saw this in the parking lot at the Redwoods.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/green-10/IMG_1618_zpsff27f652.jpg

roushmartin6
08-05-2014, 07:47 PM
We went to Sears Point on Wednesday as the trucks came in for the NHRA. We couldn't walk around the track because of that, but we got some good pictures of turn 11 and got to go into the gift shop.

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/green-10/IMG_20140723_104624_946_zps59e787db.jpg

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/green-10/IMG_1739_zps5e859d29.jpg

Saw this in the parking lot at the Redwoods.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/green-10/IMG_1618_zpsff27f652.jpg

Great pics. Only Nascar tracks I've been to are Bristol (night race in 2005) Chicagoland (2009 Mark won the race!) and Iowa Speedway

roushmartin6
08-09-2014, 11:17 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/police-investigating-sprint-car-incident-involving-three-time-nascar-champion-tony-stewart-081014

If this is true I don't know what to say. I pray Kevin Ward is ok but it doesn't sound good at all. I read somewhere Regan Smith will be in Tony's car tomorrow.

*Edit* There is now a video on youtube of the incident, i didn't post it here because its pretty graphic. I honestly don't know what to think right now.

Peanut
08-10-2014, 12:12 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/police-investigating-sprint-car-incident-involving-three-time-nascar-champion-tony-stewart-081014

If this is true I don't know what to say. I pray Kevin Ward is ok but it doesn't sound good at all. I read somewhere Regan Smith will be in Tony's car tomorrow.

*Edit* There is now a video on youtube of the incident, i didn't post it here because its pretty graphic. I honestly don't know what to think right now.

When I heard that it was a dirt track and that it was the rear tire, first thing I thought of was "fishtail". I know Tony has a temper, but I would hate to think that he would do this on purpose.

Prayers to all involved, including the fans who witnessed it.

roushmartin6, thank you for not posting the video.

roushmartin6
08-10-2014, 12:15 AM
When I heard that it was a dirt track and that it was the rear tire, first thing I thought of was "fishtail". I know Tony has a temper, but I would hate to think that he would do this on purpose.

Prayers to all involved, including the fans who witnessed it.

roushmartin6, thank you for not posting the video.

Yea I really hope he didn't do it on purpose. I know he has a bad temper and a short fuse but this is just sad and no problem about the video, its not something everyone needs to see.

roushmartin6
08-10-2014, 12:20 AM
‪#‎BREAKING‬: ‪#‎NASCAR‬- Ontario County NY Sheriff confirms that Kevin Ward Jr., driver hit by Tony Stewart at a sprint car race has died of his injuries. Reports say that Stewart has been released and was cooperative with authorities. Investigation at this time is “not criminal.” As of now, Stewart still plans to compete in Sunday's Sprint Cup Race at Watkins Glen.

Saw this on facebook. Hopefully its not true :(

Peanut
08-10-2014, 12:31 AM
‪#‎BREAKING‬: ‪#‎NASCAR‬- Ontario County NY Sheriff confirms that Kevin Ward Jr., driver hit by Tony Stewart at a sprint car race has died of his injuries. Reports say that Stewart has been released and was cooperative with authorities. Investigation at this time is “not criminal.” As of now, Stewart still plans to compete in Sunday's Sprint Cup Race at Watkins Glen.

I saw something in the comment section, but was hoping it was a rumor.

Jaws
08-10-2014, 12:37 AM

This is all so sad :(

Peanut
08-10-2014, 12:42 AM

They have the update on Jayski, too.

I hope they give Stewart some space tomorrow. This is not the time to stick a mike in his face just to get a reaction, you know?

ruksak
08-10-2014, 04:32 AM
Wearing all black. Check.

Dark, active race track. Check.

Picking a fight with a speeding race car. Check.

Yet people want to blame Stewart. There's no evidence that Stewart accelerated, swerved toward Kevin or otherwise intended in any way to strike Kevin. There is a reason why race officials freak out when drivers exit there vehicles like this. Expect tremendous penalties for anyone attempting such a thing in the future.

In some way, race officials deserve some blame for not having put their foot down regarding drivers running around on active race tracks looking for a fight. They won't make that mistake again, I assure you of that.

Tragic.

Jaws
08-10-2014, 05:01 AM
Wearing all black. Check.

Dark, active race track. Check.

Picking a fight with a speeding race car. Check.

Yet people want to blame Stewart. There's no evidence that Stewart accelerated, swerved toward Kevin or otherwise intended in any way to strike Kevin. There is a reason why race officials freak out when drivers exit there vehicles like this. Expect tremendous penalties for anyone attempting such a thing in the future.

In some way, race officials deserve some blame for not having put their foot down regarding drivers running around on active race tracks looking for a fight. They won't make that mistake again, I assure you of that.

Tragic.

All very true.

So sad.

Freyaka
08-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Holy crap...just woke up and saw the news. Crazy stuff....

AZ Snake Fan
08-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Prayers for Tony, Ward and their families.
Tony will not compete today at the Glen.

Tragic, I know that Tony must feel awful.

BroncosFanInPA
08-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Been sitting here for a few hours not knowing what to say & i still really don't know other than it was a tragic accident that resulted in a loss of life.

Prayers for family of the young man that lost his life.

Not trying to be insensitive about the whole situation & I know it's not important right now but...i honestly would not be surprised if tony calls it quits after this.

Freyaka
08-10-2014, 07:50 PM
On a lighter note, what a comeback story for the Dinger. Great finish! And it was really cool seeing all the car owners who had supported him through his troubles show up and congratulate him after the race.

roushmartin6
08-10-2014, 09:15 PM
On a lighter note, what a comeback story for the Dinger. Great finish! And it was really cool seeing all the car owners who had supported him through his troubles show up and congratulate him after the race.

Yup and it was an exciting last 10 laps. The cup schedule needs more road courses. I didn't care who won the race as long as it was Marcos or AJ, you couldn't go wrong. Hated seeing Regan Smith get wrecked though. Also Kennedy wanted to go our and express his displeasure with Reed Sorenson but Nascar was all over the officials to get him in the ambulance after what happened last night

Peanut
08-10-2014, 10:33 PM

Yup and it was an exciting last 10 laps. The cup schedule needs more road courses. I didn't care who won the race as long as it was Marcos or AJ, you couldn't go wrong. Hated seeing Regan Smith get wrecked though. Also Kennedy wanted to go our and express his displeasure with Reed Sorenson but Nascar was all over the officials to get him in the ambulance after what happened last night

Guess who missed the end of the race? We always DVR the races, extending the recording for an hour. I was home, but busy. Looked at the clock at 4:30 eastern and thought, I should check and see if the race is over. No, it should be okay.

It stopped with 6 laps to go.

I like AJ better than Marcos. AJ is one of my open-wheelers.

Hubby and I have talked about this before. About how unsafe it was for a driver to stand with the cars going by, to throw a helmet or show displeasure. I agree with Ricky Craven that drivers should have to remain in their cars until an official arrives (unless the car is on fire or other life-threatening situation).

I just checked. The race is being replayed right now on ESPN2. :D

Freyaka
08-10-2014, 11:25 PM

I agree, I'd even be willing to watch a Nascar subseries that only raced on road courses with the same car as they race in the cup series. The top series should have at least 4-5 road courses. I could stand to see them do away with the second race for some of the cookie cutter tracks like Texas and Cali.

roushmartin6
08-11-2014, 01:25 AM
I agree, I'd even be willing to watch a Nascar subseries that only raced on road courses with the same car as they race in the cup series. The top series should have at least 4-5 road courses. I could stand to see them do away with the second race for some of the cookie cutter tracks like Texas and Cali.

I think Nascar does have some sort of road course series but it doesn't get televised. I think Jack Roush Jr races in it.

roushmartin6
08-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Guess who missed the end of the race? We always DVR the races, extending the recording for an hour. I was home, but busy. Looked at the clock at 4:30 eastern and thought, I should check and see if the race is over. No, it should be okay.

It stopped with 6 laps to go.

I like AJ better than Marcos. AJ is one of my open-wheelers.

Hubby and I have talked about this before. About how unsafe it was for a driver to stand with the cars going by, to throw a helmet or show displeasure. I agree with Ricky Craven that drivers should have to remain in their cars until an official arrives (unless the car is on fire or other life-threatening situation).

I just checked. The race is being replayed right now on ESPN2. :D

There were two lengthy red flags. One to fix part of the wall from the Newman crash and the other after Denny Hamlin got spun and struck the sand barrels that protect the entrance to pit road.

Peanut
08-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Watched the rest of the race today. They kept talking about AJ's restarts. What about Marcos laying back a car length?

Anyway, good race. I'm glad Marcos didn't take AJ out. He has a tendency to do that.

Peanut
08-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Remember Harvick's bean bag issue? I kind of find that funny. Broadcast it over your radio. The TV crew won't pick up the story.

Harvick's team penalized: The #4 team that competes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series has been penalized due to a rules infraction committed during the Aug. 10 race at Watkins Glen International. The infraction is a P3 level penalty and is outlined in Section 12-4.3 of the 2014 rule book:
" A. Violation examples could include but are not limited to:
o 1(c): Unapproved added weight and/or weight affixed improperly (e.g. Unapproved added weight (size and material); unapproved added weight location, but not of a nature rising to a higher numbered penalty.
The infraction violates the following sections in the rule book:
" 12-1: Actions detrimental to stock car racing;
" 20-2.3: Added car weight
o A. Any weight added to the car must be bolted inside the body shell in an approved weight container and in a position acceptable to NASCAR officials
o Added weight must be in block form of not less than five pound blocks (no pellets) and painted white with the car number or team identification permanently legible on it.
As a result of this violation, crew chief Rodney Childers has been fined $25,000.

Peanut
08-13-2014, 09:21 PM
If it wasn't a NASCAR driver, I don't think this would still be making the news.

I feel for Tony / family and I feel for Kevin and his family. The coming weeks are going to be hard for all involved.

Other driver says Stewart could not avoid Ward: "From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him," said sprint car driver Cory Sparks. Sparks was just a few cars behind Stewart during Saturday's race. He said videos that have been posted online do not give an accurate picture of what happened. "People say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it. In a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he gassed it to turn down away from him," said Sparks.(Time Warner News)

I've read and heard a lot of comments about this situation. I read through a long thread on another board. I'd like to thank you all for being so level-headed. We're all passionate, but we respect each other. You're the best!

BroncosFanInPA
08-14-2014, 04:29 PM
If it wasn't a NASCAR driver, I don't think this would still be making the news.

I feel for Tony / family and I feel for Kevin and his family. The coming weeks are going to be hard for all involved.

I've read and heard a lot of comments about this situation. I read through a long thread on another board. I'd like to thank you all for being so level-headed. We're all passionate, but we respect each other. You're the best!

I have to agree with you, it's because there is a high profile star involved.

And yes i have been reading alot of comments all week from different sites & there is alot of blame & alot of hatred out there & to be quite honest with you i had my doubts about the whole situation.

Being a big tony fan i didn't want to just come out & say he did nothing wrong & sound all biased but i really wasn't sure what to think...i wanted to believe it was just a terrible accident but you keep reading all these hate comments of he is a killer & should be locked up & it's difficult to make sense of it all.

But after listening to those comments made by Cory Sparks who was in the race & saw this happen & knows how those sprint cars work i'm starting to truly believe it was nothing more than an accident.

Also just watched a piece on race hub where they talked with erin everham & she explained what it's like in those cars & they showed all around it & just how difficult it is to see out of them & especially the right side of the car with that wing hanging down.

I really don't think tony had any intentions of anything other than trying to avoid hitting kevin but he was just too close & tony saw him too late.

Tony is really hurting over this & must be heartbroken because he has now decided not to race again at Michigan ...Jeff Burton will be in the #14 car.

I said it the other day but i really would not doubt if tony is done racing & will never get in a race car again & who could blame him if that's what he decides, he has to live with this for the rest of his life & is probably blaming himself.

AZ Snake Fan
08-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Lots of hate talk.
Can't believe what the media is insinuating.

I watched that video a few times.
The guy ran out into the middle of the track at the curve..
A car was right in front of Tony. Tony couldn't have seen him.
That car swerved, and then Tony saw him, tried to swerve but it was too late.

I'm sorry for all those involved in this tragedy but the media is out of control.

Peanut
08-15-2014, 12:23 AM

Lots of hate talk.

I'm sorry for all those involved in this tragedy but the media is out of control.

I agree. I love how the non-racing fans are jumping into this, too.

It's such a sad situation.

PA, I hope you're wrong about Tony not racing anymore.

roushmartin6
08-15-2014, 01:32 AM
When the news was breaking that night from people on twitter who were at the race, they made it sound like Tony was driving recklessly and was trying to do something stupid to scare Ward. Then when video surfaced, it looked to me like Tony just plain didn't see him. The driver ahead of him almost hit him too. This is just one big sad accident. Everyone is right that this wouldn't even be news if it wasn't a high profile driver. But I think it goes further than even that. Because Tony has had his anger issues, people just assume that he did it on purpose. If someone like Ken Schrader had hit Kevin Ward, no one would question whether it was an accident or not. In the end, Tony is not a killer, the whole situation was messed up and no one feels more badly about it that Tony does. It was an accident, nothing more. Kevin was mad and did what we have seen drivers do several times in years past. Only difference is, this was at night, at some local dirt track, not a brightly lit cup track, and it was dirt. He was wearing an all black driver suit as well. Add all these factors up and you have someone who can barely be seen. I'm sure there aren't spotters in these races, so Tony is probably looking at his gauges, or just trying to figure out why they are under caution, he might not even know he ran him into the wall. I think he saw Kevin at the last second and gunned the engine in an effort to turn the car to miss him, as other have stated, with a sprint car you use the throttle to turn these cars more than anything. I really hope Tony doesn't retire or anything because of something like this. Hopefully Sterling Marlin or someone has reached out to him. After the 2001 Daytona 500 Sterling received death threats from fans who thought he hit Dale on purpose, so although they are different situations, its happened before. The best therapy in the long run may be Tony getting back into the car and doing what he loves. Maybe leave the sprint cars alone till next year when all this has blown over a bit. If anything good comes out of this, it will be that I'm sure there will be new rule changes to protect the drivers from this happening again. And yes Peanut, its been great to be able to discuss this sad situation in a civil manner. I've seen so many sad and terrible comments from people about this whole thing (some don't even know what a sprint car is) that this is a breath of fresh air. Sorry for the long paragraph but after a few days of thinking and collecting my thoughts, I thought I would give my take. There is a side of Tony that the public doesn't get to see but I've read about it. Mark Martin has nothing but great things to say about Tony, and they have a mutual respect for each other. Hope to see you back on track soon Tony, and you are in our thoughts.

CanDB
08-15-2014, 07:04 AM
I think that if you weed out the "haters" and those who are die hard Stewart fans, you get a group of people who are really unable to make a determination of what happened. But a life is lost, and the way of the world is to investigate such tragic situations, as it should.

I've read/heard both sides of this thing. Until we know exactly what happened, none of us know anything, other than what we saw (very briefly), heard, or if we have had similar (to some extent) experiences in our own lives, possibly in sports or when driving. Until this is all settled, only one person knows for sure what was going through his mind prior to and at the time of the accident. I would not assume anything until this file is closed.

kingelway7
08-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Because Tony has had his anger issues, people just assume that he did it on purpose.

Sunday morning when I woke up I looked at my iPhone and saw the sad news, I went and flipped on the TV. The first channel I come across, CNN, that was talking about the incident was showing the amateur video. After the video ended, it went back to a shot of the news anchors sitting around their news table. The first words that I heard come out of the news ladies mouth was "As we know, Stewart can be quite the hot head..."

I shook my head in disbelief that a major news network would come out just a mere 6 hrs or so after this happened and refer to Stewart so plainly as a "hot head". Yes, Tony in the past has had situations where he has publicly displayed his anger in not the best ways, but when you take the amateur video and add it with what the news lady said, it comes across that Stewart acted maliciously and meant to hit Ward.

It was a horrible horrible incident and a lot of the media is reporting in a way that they are wanting people to be outraged at Stewart and believe he did it purposely without knowing all the facts or even waiting for an investigation to be finished

BroncosFanInPA
08-15-2014, 03:06 PM
I agree. I love how the non-racing fans are jumping into this, too.

It's such a sad situation.

PA, I hope you're wrong about Tony not racing anymore.

Yeah i think it's ridiculous how non racing fans are all over this & they are the ones spewing all the hate when they know nothing about racing & mainly how sprint cars work.

I too hope i'm wrong Peanut but i just can't imagine him ever being able to have the focus it takes to get in a car & this will haunt him for the rest of his days.

Even if he should come back...he will never be the same because i believe he would be driving so timidly that it would be very bad & hard to watch...hope i'm wrong on all this but i just got a feeling that's the way it's gonna play out.

Freyaka
08-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Lots of hate talk.

Always is, no matter what the topic is they always sensationalize everything (all media outlets are guilty of this) it's all about the almighty ratings and drawing in viewers. Gotta make a story have drama!

BroncosFanInPA
08-15-2014, 06:41 PM
AZ...Peanut...Roush...Frey & others...

i just wanted to say that seeing all of your comments & feelings on this horrific situation has been somewhat comforting to me because i'm the tony fan here & it's been a rough week, but in the end we are all race fans & it's just a very sad situation.

To all of you guys & gals :salute: let's hope better days are ahead.

Peanut
08-15-2014, 10:15 PM
roush, I remember that thing with Marlin. I know he went through a really hard time.

And, we have a new rule. I know 3 dirt tracks in NY have it in place now. I think that's where it's really needed.

Jaws
08-16-2014, 01:40 AM
Instant judgement - the sickness of society.

Peanut
08-20-2014, 08:45 AM
People are being more vocal about showing support for Tony.

"Gibbs says Stewart has strength, courage to return: Joe Gibbs believes #14-Tony Stewart has the strength to return to racing at some point following the Aug. 9 incident which left sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr. dead. Gibbs, who employed Stewart at Joe Gibbs Racing from 1999-2008, said he has not spoken to Stewart since the incident but thinks the driver will be able to come back and race again. Stewart has missed the past two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races and also has canceled his non-NASCAR racing appearances until further notice. He has not said whether he will drive this weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway. "From what I saw with Tony, he's got great courage, he's smart, he loves this sport," Gibbs said Tuesday. "He's totally focused on it." Gibbs said he was told by Stewart's representatives the driver is taking some time for himself right now, so he has been hesitant to reach out. But the driver has been in his prayers, Gibbs said. "We all love Tony, we love what he did for us here," he said. "We know he's a racer's racer and he's big for our sport. I would love to have a chance to speak with him at some point and encourage him."(USA Today)(8-20-2014)"

Peanut
08-20-2014, 09:21 AM
More. Good for Tony, but I'm concerned what all this is going to do to the Ward family.

"Grassroots campaign hopes to show support for Tony Stewart: #14-Tony Stewart has taken his share of fan criticism from the electronic media regarding his actions on the evening of August 9, when his sprint car collided with fellow racer Kevin Ward, Jr., 20, who was on foot following an on-track incident. Ward, as you are likely aware, was upset with the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion, and left his car to confront Stewart, whose car was still under power. Ward was killed. The criticism of Stewart involves to what extent - indeed, if at all - Stewart should share the blame. Stewart's fans have responded, via Twitter, Facebook, email and other electronic outlets, to mount a grassroots campaign supporting Stewart this Saturday night at the NASCAR Irwin Tools 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway. The suggestion is a simple one: Stand up on lap 14, which is the number of Stewart's NASCAR Chevrolet, as well as the number of his sprint car. The supporters are rallying around the "StandWithSmoke" logo that Stewart's team introduced for his return at the Daytona 500, his first race back since he himself suffered a badly broken leg in a sprint car crash in Iowa in August, 2013. Smoke is, of course, Stewart's nickname. The Bristol movement is "100 percent fan driven" said Mike Arning, who handles communications for Stewart. Stewart did not race at Watkins Glen, or at the next race at Michigan. Arning says no timetable has been set for a decision as to whether Stewart will race at Bristol.(Motorsport)(8-20-2014)"

kingelway7
08-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Since Jr won it this year, Id love to see Tony finally win the 500 next year...as long as Jr finishes 2nd of course.

CanDB
08-20-2014, 10:22 AM
More. Good for Tony, but I'm concerned what all this is going to do to the Ward family.

"Grassroots campaign hopes to show support for Tony Stewart: #14-Tony Stewart has taken his share of fan criticism from the electronic media regarding his actions on the evening of August 9, when his sprint car collided with fellow racer Kevin Ward, Jr., 20, who was on foot following an on-track incident. Ward, as you are likely aware, was upset with the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion, and left his car to confront Stewart, whose car was still under power. Ward was killed. The criticism of Stewart involves to what extent - indeed, if at all - Stewart should share the blame. Stewart's fans have responded, via Twitter, Facebook, email and other electronic outlets, to mount a grassroots campaign supporting Stewart this Saturday night at the NASCAR Irwin Tools 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway. The suggestion is a simple one: Stand up on lap 14, which is the number of Stewart's NASCAR Chevrolet, as well as the number of his sprint car. The supporters are rallying around the "StandWithSmoke" logo that Stewart's team introduced for his return at the Daytona 500, his first race back since he himself suffered a badly broken leg in a sprint car crash in Iowa in August, 2013. Smoke is, of course, Stewart's nickname. The Bristol movement is "100 percent fan driven" said Mike Arning, who handles communications for Stewart. Stewart did not race at Watkins Glen, or at the next race at Michigan. Arning says no timetable has been set for a decision as to whether Stewart will race at Bristol.(Motorsport)(8-20-2014)"

P,

I wish to be totally objective on this subject. Even us "non racing" fans (although I've watched car racing and am a sports fan in general) are commenting on this situation because a lost life is a common denominator for folks, no matter their interests or backgrounds. As I mentioned before, until a proper investigation is held, people's opinion is just that, opinion. Tony Stewart is likely the only person who knows what happened in those seconds. I hope he is innocent. And I get why so many folks are hurt by the fact that the social media of this world think they can call shots from a distance, with no facts to support them. And if Tony is innocent of any intentional wrongdoing, how cruel of them to attack him liberally. But I am not surprised given the "bully" approach that so many take these days online. It's a sad dialogue that feasts itself in this world, every day. It's one of the major flaws of this new "socially active" world.

Having said that, I do wonder a bit about rallies and such, supporting him. If it's to show that they are opposing the negativity out there, I do understand that. That negativity should have zero impact on the proceedings. And therefore it should be stifled. It has no value in the investigation, and all it is doing is aiming at one man....who is innocent until proven otherwise. Therefore I condone the basic nature of speaking up for Stewart, to defend him, given he is not guilty of anything at this point.

The only part I wonder about, in this regard, is if the support is meant to also impact the outcome of the investigation. For, just like the negativity has no bearing on the outcome, so should the support. We can not bias events. And I am sure that is what you mean as well. I take it that the support is meant to take away from all the mean, careless commentary out there, and help someone who must be deeply scarred by this incident.

It's time for everyone to be objective. A man was killed. And even though he made a fundamental mistake that others have also made (by leaving his car and walking on the track), he and his family and friends, and what we call law and order in a democratic society deserve to be respected through a proper review. And another man was involved, and the truth will resolve all concerns. We, the public, have the right to our own opinion, but in the end, objectivity HAS TO BE the governing factor.

Does this make sense to you?

Peanut
08-20-2014, 12:47 PM
P,

I wish to be totally objective on this subject. Even us "non racing" fans (although I've watched car racing and am a sports fan in general) are commenting on this situation because a lost life is a common denominator for folks, no matter their interests or backgrounds. As I mentioned before, until a proper investigation is held, people's opinion is just that, opinion. Tony Stewart is likely the only person who knows what happened in those seconds. I hope he is innocent. And I get why so many folks are hurt by the fact that the social media of this world think they can call shots from a distance, with no facts to support them. And if Tony is innocent of any intentional wrongdoing, how cruel of them to attack him liberally. But I am not surprised given the "bully" approach that so many take these days online. It's a sad dialogue that feasts itself in this world, every day. It's one of the major flaws of this new "socially active" world.

If that is in response to my comment, let me clarify. I was referring to the people that have been very hateful, accusing Stewart of intentionally hitting Ward and their only exposure to Stewart/NASCAR are clips of Stewart throwing his helmet at a car (because there's no way he could hit the driver being that he's in a car, with the window net up) on SC. Since you have not done this, I was not talking about people like yourself.

Having said that, I do wonder a bit about rallies and such, supporting him. If it's to show that they are opposing the negativity out there, I do understand that. That negativity should have zero impact on the proceedings. And therefore it should be stifled. It has no value in the investigation, and all it is doing is aiming at one man....who is innocent until proven otherwise. Therefore I condone the basic nature of speaking up for Stewart, to defend him, given he is not guilty of anything at this point.

That was my take on it. I could be wrong, but that's what I think it's for.

The only part I wonder about, in this regard, is if the support is meant to also impact the outcome of the investigation. For, just like the negativity has no bearing on the outcome, so should the support. We can not bias events. And I am sure that is what you mean as well. I take it that the support is meant to take away from all the mean, careless commentary out there, and help someone who must be deeply scarred by this incident.

I would be very disappointed if the investigating process took into account the fans' and media's opinions (and that's all it is) on what happened that night. I'm not talking about eyewitnesses.

It's time for everyone to be objective. A man was killed. And even though he made a fundamental mistake that others have also made (by leaving his car and walking on the track), he and his family and friends, and what we call law and order in a democratic society deserve to be respected through a proper review. And another man was involved, and the truth will resolve all concerns. We, the public, have the right to our own opinion, but in the end, objectivity HAS TO BE the governing factor.

Does this make sense to you?

By "everyone", do you mean in general? Because I think everyone that has posted in this thread about this situation has been very objective.

CanDB
08-20-2014, 01:43 PM
By "everyone", do you mean in general? Because I think everyone that has posted in this thread about this situation has been very objective.

I think anyone who takes a strong side without having all the facts, which is true of anything, is not being totally objective. Sometimes we have biases, sometimes prior behaviour influences our decisions, and if it's someone we care about from a very personal perspective, we can be swayed. It's the nature of human behaviour. In the end, justice typically prevails, and all opinions outside those with valid info, are nothing more than opinion.

(I'm not saying posters here have lacked objectivity. That's not my role. I'm sure everyone believes in their posts.)

CanDB
08-20-2014, 01:49 PM
If that is in response to my comment, let me clarify. I was referring to the people that have been very hateful, accusing Stewart of intentionally hitting Ward and their only exposure to Stewart/NASCAR are clips of Stewart throwing his helmet at a car (because there's no way he could hit the driver being that he's in a car, with the window net up) on SC. Since you have not done this, I was not talking about people like yourself.

Meant to respond to this too......I saw more than one post mentioning "non race" fans, so I did include it in my post, because I felt like it may be relevant to this discussion. But I also have heard that on the radio from one or more racing people, and although I understand that specific knowledge is a powerful thing, I don't see it excluding others from getting involved. Again, a lost life is very real to most, if not all of us.

Further, I think it's good from time to time for outsiders to assess situations, because sometimes industries, organizations, etc. are hard to change. For example, fighting is legal in hockey. However, whenever there's an uproar about it, the leagues, coaches, players, and other "insiders" typically stick up for it. Does that make it right? I think not. I know hockey, and I am ok with a fair fight, but it's a time bomb waiting to happen. It may not be the punch, but falling head first to the ice. Or, it may be long term concussion problems, which is becoming more of a topic in many sports.

So P, my answer is only marginally influenced by the references in this thread, but more so by what I have heard on the radio. And it is not aimed at folks with your position on it.

Cool?

BroncosFanInPA
08-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Tony is sitting out again at Bristol & Burton will be in the #14 again...

Think i'm gonna skip it as well & head out to the local track with the kids, just having a hard time keeping interest at this point.

AZ Snake Fan
08-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Several race car drivers have been killed this year in several different venues.
None of those tragic incidents resulted in accusations of vehicular manslaughter against the driver of the car that caused the accident.

Racers have been getting out of their cars to taunt the guy that crashed them for as long as I can remember.
Anyone who knows racing can come up with dozens of the top drivers who have done this.
Sometimes it carries into harsh words or fisticuffs later in the day and might carry over for a few races.
Sometimes after reviewing the tape, apologies are made and all is forgiven and forgotten that same day.

This has always been part of stock car racing.

These drivers have been racing since they were in pre-school.
They have all worked their way up through the smaller venues.
They all respect each other for the most part because they all have gone through the same things for years.
Of all the drivers I have been familiar with my whole life, I cannot think of one that would intentionally mow down a fellow driver, no matter how much bad blood may be between them.
Not one, and I've seen some rivalries over the years.

I'm not a die-hard Tony fan nor am I a hater.
But I am able to make a determination of what happened.

I watched the original tape over and over again before it was taken off the web.
The bump by Tony that sent Ward's car to the fence was a legit racing maneuver.
Similar to the move that we saw Johnson do to Newman a couple times last week.
Ward wasn't happy about it and neither was Newman.
But that's racing.

The tragic incident that took Ward's life was an accident, pure and simple.
If it were not for Tony's fame and fortune, this story would not be in the news.

Masazi Iso was hit and killed by another car while walking away from his crash in an open wheel F3 practice.

Robert Kaarto wast hit and killed by another car in a race as he attempted to get out of his burning stock car.

Joe Quinn was hit and killed by another car after he crashed his stock car.

I am so sorry for the traumatic effects this insane media coverage is piling on Ward's and Tony's families.
It's time to stop the mass media hammering and let these folks try to heal.
Prayers for them.

BroncosFanInPA
08-20-2014, 04:53 PM
You go AZ! :clap: You make some great valid points. :salute:

I would say more on the matter like you just did, but frankly i'm just too dang bummed about it all. :(

CanDB
08-20-2014, 05:19 PM
You go AZ! :clap: You make some great valid points. :salute:

I would say more on the matter like you just did, but frankly i'm just too dang bummed about it all. :(

Just out of interest, do you and others think that this thing should be investigated, at least to some degree? I certainly do not care if others (in this forum) support my position. I believe in my position. What I know, what I have been taught, is that we review things such as this. This is not just a race.

Peanut
08-20-2014, 05:54 PM
For the record, I agree with AZ.

Just out of interest, do you and others think that this thing should be investigated, at least to some degree? I certainly do not care if others (in this forum) support my position. I believe in my position. What I know, what I have been taught, is that we review things such as this. This is not just a race.

CanDB, where do you get the idea that anyone in this thread does not want an investigation? We have stated our opinions. Period. Unless I have missed it, no one has said that there shouldn't be an investigation. That it's not necessary. I'm sorry, but this just irks me.

There is an on-going investigation. At the time, they said it would take a couple of weeks. I think we have about another week to wait. I just hope that they get it right. Whatever that is.

CanDB
08-20-2014, 08:32 PM
For the record, I agree with AZ.

CanDB, where do you get the idea that anyone in this thread does not want an investigation? We have stated our opinions. Period. Unless I have missed it, no one has said that there shouldn't be an investigation. That it's not necessary. I'm sorry, but this just irks me.

There is an on-going investigation. At the time, they said it would take a couple of weeks. I think we have about another week to wait. I just hope that they get it right. Whatever that is.

I guess I will have to re read the posts. Maybe in error I have missed some objectivity. Maybe I am reading too much into what I read.

And maybe I thought it best to await the outcome.

By the way, for the record I am hoping the best for Tony. He must be devastated.

Peanut
08-20-2014, 10:32 PM
I guess I will have to re read the posts. Maybe in error I have missed some objectivity. Maybe I am reading too much into what I read.

And maybe I thought it best to await the outcome.

By the way, for the record I am hoping the best for Tony. He must be devastated.

I corrected my above post. The "For the record, I agree with AZ." was not aimed at you. It was just a general statement. I should have put it above your quote, where it now sits.

It might be a good idea to reread the posts.

The bolded: So, we're not suppose to discuss this until after the investigation is over?

CanDB
08-21-2014, 05:59 AM
I corrected my above post. The "For the record, I agree with AZ." was not aimed at you. It was just a general statement. I should have put it above your quote, where it now sits.

It might be a good idea to reread the posts.

The bolded: So, we're not suppose to discuss this until after the investigation is over?

I am off to an appointment. After a cruddy sleep, and some reflection, I believe I am done with this thread. I wanted to expand upon my last response but thought better, because these things can drag on unnecessarily. I believe in what I wanted to convey in this thread, and will leave it at that. Everyone has the right to their opinion, and occasionally it's cool to discuss / debate. That's what this forum is about.

Thanks gang for listening.

Peanut
08-23-2014, 11:33 AM
I don't know what you all are doing tonight, but I'm on here for our game (it's not televised) and hubby is going to be watching his. So, we're recording the race. That means that I won't come into this thread until I watch the race.

It was a good NW race last night. I'm disappointed in the outcome, though. I wish NASCAR was more consistent with their rule-calling. Like hanging back on restarts (Ambrose) or jumping the start. I've seen drivers warned or penalized for what I've seen happen the last few weeks.

I was not impressed with Duno when she drove in IndyCar (she's the one that Patrick use to complain about. "Get her out of my way. She shouldn't be out here"). I was more impressed with Simona De Silvestro, but she's testing cars for F1.

I do like Duno's prep work, though. 3 years in ARCA. That tells me she's serious. I hope she does well.

Note on the last update: she did not qualify for last night's race.

Milka Duno to run some races for RAB UPDATE: RAB Racing has signed multiple race-winning driver Milka Duno to compete in select races in the 2014 NASCAR Nationwide Series and with the entry Duno will become the first Hispanic female driver in history to compete in a NASCAR national series in the United States. A successful driver who has competed in multiple racing series Duno has eight major race wins in the highest classes (Prototype) in the American Le Mans Series and the Grand American Rolex Series and the highest finish ever by a female driver (2nd place) in the 24 Hours at Daytona - in the now 52-year history of the race. In making her transition to stock car racing and her ultimate entry into NASCAR Duno has been competing in the ARCA Racing Series for the past three seasons. In 2011 and 2012 she competed in partial schedules and in her first full ARCA season in 2013, competing with Venturini Motorsports, she finished the season 7th in the driver point standings and became the 2nd highest finishing female driver in ARCA's now 62-year history. Veteran crew chief Chris Rice will helm Duno's NNS effort.(Duno PR), no word on how many races she will run or where.(8-4-2014)
UPDATE: Milka Duno's first NASCAR Nationwide Series race will be Friday, August 22 in the Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway. This will mark the first time in NASCAR history that a Hispanic female driver will compete in a NASCAR national series race in the United States. Duno will compete in RAB Racing's #29 Toyota Camry.(Duno PR)(8-19-2014)

BroncosFanInPA
08-23-2014, 12:27 PM
I don't know what you all are doing tonight, but I'm on here for our game (it's not televised) and hubby is going to be watching his. So, we're recording the race. That means that I won't come into this thread until I watch the race.

I won't be watching the race either Peanut...heading to Jennerstown Speedway with the family for some local short track action, kids love going.

I would have never thought of missing a cup race in the past but with all that's going on with tony & him not racing...i'm just not that concerned with it at this point & time but i still will follow things.

Hope it's it good one in bristol tonight, enjoy the show guys & gals. :salute:

Peanut
08-24-2014, 02:21 PM

It was a good NW race last night. I'm disappointed in the outcome, though. I wish NASCAR was more consistent with their rule-calling. Like hanging back on restarts (Ambrose) or jumping the start. I've seen drivers warned or penalized for what I've seen happen the last few weeks.

I was not impressed with Duno when she drove in IndyCar (she's the one that Patrick use to complain about. "Get her out of my way. She shouldn't be out here"). I was more impressed with Simona De Silvestro, but she's testing cars for F1.

I do like Duno's prep work, though. 3 years in ARCA. That tells me she's serious. I hope she does well.

Note on the last update: she did not qualify for last night's race.

Milka Duno to run some races for RAB UPDATE: RAB Racing has signed multiple race-winning driver Milka Duno to compete in select races in the 2014 NASCAR Nationwide Series and with the entry Duno will become the first Hispanic female driver in history to compete in a NASCAR national series in the United States. A successful driver who has competed in multiple racing series Duno has eight major race wins in the highest classes (Prototype) in the American Le Mans Series and the Grand American Rolex Series and the highest finish ever by a female driver (2nd place) in the 24 Hours at Daytona - in the now 52-year history of the race. In making her transition to stock car racing and her ultimate entry into NASCAR Duno has been competing in the ARCA Racing Series for the past three seasons. In 2011 and 2012 she competed in partial schedules and in her first full ARCA season in 2013, competing with Venturini Motorsports, she finished the season 7th in the driver point standings and became the 2nd highest finishing female driver in ARCA's now 62-year history. Veteran crew chief Chris Rice will helm Duno's NNS effort.(Duno PR), no word on how many races she will run or where.(8-4-2014)
UPDATE: Milka Duno's first NASCAR Nationwide Series race will be Friday, August 22 in the Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway. This will mark the first time in NASCAR history that a Hispanic female driver will compete in a NASCAR national series race in the United States. Duno will compete in RAB Racing's #29 Toyota Camry.(Duno PR)(8-19-2014)

I won't be watching the race either Peanut...heading to Jennerstown Speedway with the family for some local short track action, kids love going.

I would have never thought of missing a cup race in the past but with all that's going on with tony & him not racing...i'm just not that concerned with it at this point & time but i still will follow things.

Hope it's it good one in bristol tonight, enjoy the show guys & gals. :salute:

I shouldn't put SC on, either. Or go on the internet.

I know who won and I've seen parts of it.

PA, things will get better. Hope you enjoyed the local racing last night.

kingelway7
08-25-2014, 11:10 AM
I step outside for 5 mins and come back inside to a replay of the left side of Jr's car being blown up by Hamlin:sad:

At least Logano held off BK from getting his 4th win of the season, which would have then tentatively given BK 1st place in the Chase.

BroncosFanInPA
08-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Tony is coming back

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/11426099/tony-stewart-return-track-sunday

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Tony Stewart will return to Sprint Cup competition Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, ending a three-race hiatus taken after he struck and killed a fellow driver during a dirt-track race.

The three-time NASCAR champion has not raced since his car hit Kevin Ward Jr. at an Aug. 9 sprint car event in upstate New York. Stewart pulled out of the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen the next morning, then skipped races at Michigan and Bristol Motor Speedway.

Tony Stewart is returning to the track Sunday for the first time since he struck and killed Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint race.
Stewart, who was described by police as "visibly shaken" the night of Ward's death, has been in seclusion ever since. Stewart-Haas Racing executive vice president Brett Frood has said the emphasis was on giving Stewart time needed to get him "in a better place than he is."

Stewart's only comment since the crash was a statement the day after the crash in which he said "there aren't words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr."

Ward had climbed from his car after it had spun while racing for position with Stewart. The 20-year-old walked down onto the racing surface waving his arms in an apparent attempt to confront Stewart.

Authorities said the first car to pass Ward had to swerve to miss hitting him. The front of Stewart's car then appeared to clear Ward, but Ward was struck by the right rear tire and hurtled through the air. He died of blunt force trauma.

Stewart will return with a decision pending on whether he will be charged in Ward's death. Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero has said investigators did not have any evidence to support criminal intent by Stewart. Povero said Thursday the investigation is still ongoing.

Meanwhile, the 43-year-old NASCAR superstar will move forward with his career and attempt to salvage his season.

NASCAR released a statement saying that Stewart was eligible to return because he "has received all necessary clearances required to return to all racing activities." NASCAR said it would have no further comment until President Mike Helton speaks Friday afternoon.

Stewart, who has 48 career Cup wins in 542 starts, is one of the biggest stars in the garage. His peers have been protective of him as questions emerged in the aftermath of the crash, and it pained them that Stewart was grieving in private and had cut off communication with so many of them. He will talk to the media for the first time since the fatal crash on Friday.

NASCAR rules state a driver must attempt to either qualify or race the car in every points-paying event to be eligible for Chase for the Sprint Cup championship, unless a waiver is granted. There was no immediate word if NASCAR would grant that waiver.

Since Ward's death, NASCAR has announced a rule that prohibits drivers from exiting from a crashed or disabled vehicle -- unless it is on fire -- until safety personnel arrive. Last week, Denny Hamlin crashed while leading at Bristol and stayed in his car until safety personnel arrived.

But Hamlin then exited his vehicle and angrily tossed a safety device at Kevin Harvick as he passed by moments later. He was not penalized.

BroncosFanInPA
08-28-2014, 02:38 PM
I know he is going to be swarmed upon by reporters & cameras in his face...probably gonna be rough on him at first.

I really didn't think he would come back, but i still question where his head will be after all of this.

Peanut
08-29-2014, 01:06 PM
I know he is going to be swarmed upon by reporters & cameras in his face...probably gonna be rough on him at first.

I really didn't think he would come back, but i still question where his head will be after all of this.

I think getting back into a race car will be like therapy for him.

Frood said, "But Tony is ready to be in the race car. He wouldn't be here if he wasn't. It will be important for Tony to spend time with the (Ward) family, and I believe that will happen at an appropriate time."

I hope that happens and I hope it will be a healing time for all.

BroncosFanInPA
08-29-2014, 06:16 PM
I think getting back into a race car will be like therapy for him.

Frood said, "But Tony is ready to be in the race car. He wouldn't be here if he wasn't. It will be important for Tony to spend time with the (Ward) family, and I believe that will happen at an appropriate time."

I hope that happens and I hope it will be a healing time for all.

Wow Peanut! I thought tony returning was really big news but only you have responded to it...where is everyone at? :confused:

Well anyway..i was fortunate to be in the car at 1:00 & hear tony speak live as it happened & i must say he sounded just crushed & full of emotion, which was not surprising at all. I was feeling so bad for him.

Onto the track action for him...i really had no idea what to expect today for practice & qualifying but i would say i think tony & the 14 team maybe exceeded expectations by advancing to the final round & ending up with a 12th place starting spot & maybe, just maybe he has a shot to get a win & make the chase, which brings me to the next question...

How do you or anybody else feel about nascar's decision to give tony the exemption & qualify for the chase should he win either at Atlanta or next week at Richmond? I have heard some mixed reactions about it & haven't really decided myself on the matter.

Lastly...your bolded area, i too hope it can occur one day but only time will tell if the Ward family is willing to give tony that oppurtunity.

Peanut
08-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Wow Peanut! I thought tony returning was really big news but only you have responded to it...where is everyone at? :confused:

Well anyway..i was fortunate to be in the car at 1:00 & hear tony speak live as it happened & i must say he sounded just crushed & full of emotion, which was not surprising at all. I was feeling so bad for him.

Onto the track action for him...i really had no idea what to expect today for practice & qualifying but i would say i think tony & the 14 team maybe exceeded expectations by advancing to the final round & ending up with a 12th place starting spot & maybe, just maybe he has a shot to get a win & make the chase, which brings me to the next question...

How do you or anybody else feel about nascar's decision to give tony the exemption & qualify for the chase should he win either at Atlanta or next week at Richmond? I have heard some mixed reactions about it & haven't really decided myself on the matter.

Lastly...your bolded area, i too hope it can occur one day but only time will tell if the Ward family is willing to give tony that oppurtunity.

I guess people are busy.

I didn't hear it but I read the transcript. Not the same because it takes the emotions out of it. I'm sure I'll see parts of it. EDIT: It was just on SC, plus some comments from drivers.

I'm trying to remember if they've ever denied or given an exemption before. Under this situation, I'm glad they gave Tony a chance.

FLBroncFan
08-30-2014, 01:33 PM
I guess people are busy.

I didn't hear it but I read the transcript. Not the same because it takes the emotions out of it. I'm sure I'll see parts of it. EDIT: It was just on SC, plus some comments from drivers.

I'm trying to remember if they've ever denied or given an exemption before. Under this situation, I'm glad they gave Tony a chance.

I've been following the story as well, and agree with you. It's a tough and heart-wrenching situation to be in but am thinking getting back into the race car will help him heal....not completely, though, it will take time.

BroncosFanInPA
08-30-2014, 06:16 PM
I guess people are busy.

I've been thinking about this & part of me is not so sure it was the right choice by Nascar because he has been out 3 races, on the other hand a bigger part of me thinks it's ok & is the right decision & here is why i say that...

So nascar has set the chase up so any driver with a win gets in as long as they are in the top 30 in points, which is not very difficult (tony is still 26th despite missing 3 races) & so let's look at 2 of those drivers with a win & thus qualifying for this chase - Allmendinger & Almirola...

Allmendinger is 21st in actual points & Almirola is 24th & is actually only 22 points better than tony on points despite the 3 race difference that tony sat out. Based on that i say should tony get a win then yes he should be in based on those 2 guys, heck he very well may end up higher in points than Almirola.

Are those 2 guys really chase material? not so much, but nascar has set it up in such a way that almost anyone can get in by winning & that can easily happen at Daytona or Talladega, what if David Gilliland or Danica had won at Dega? Are they chase worthy more than guys like Kasey Kahne or Biffle or Bowyer? heck no!

Nascar has made their bed with the win & get in & now they must live with it, no disrespect to any of those drivers but come on...they are not championship contenders because they win a restrictor plate race.

Edit: I had a thought of how they could tweek & fix things...you must be inside the top 20 in points & not the top 30, that would ensure a driver was at least somewhat decent through the year.

FLBroncFan
08-31-2014, 04:58 PM
So I guess I will *listen* to the race on Tune In radio and *watch* the action on NASCAR Race Buddy, thanks to Comcast screwing up my channels... :( Everything happens on a holiday weekend when no one is home.... *crickets chirping.*

Would love to see Dale Jr. win this but my heart is rooting for Tony. #14 & #88. :salute:

FLBroncFan
08-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Holy Road Kill, Batman, there's a SQUIRREL on the track. :laugh:

roushmartin6
09-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Well sorry I haven't posted in this topic but between the new Madden and all the football news thats in full force, i forgot lol. Anways, i'm glad Tony is back at the track. Its a shame he got wrecked by Busch, he was flying in the beginning of the race. I'm also glad Nascar gave him an exemption to be eligible for the chase. It would have sent the wrong message if they hadn't to the media that he should have got back in the car immediately. Plus with only two races left the deck is stacked against Tony making it, but I hope he does now. Feel bad for Harvick getting wrecked by a car that really had no business being up front. I don't like how he bashed his crew, they were solid but Hamlin's crew was in another world that night. I remember back in 1998 when 18 secons was flying and Dale Jarrett's crew had the fastest crew (after they were hired away from Gordon lol).

Peanut
09-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Well sorry I haven't posted in this topic but between the new Madden and all the football news thats in full force, i forgot lol. Anways, i'm glad Tony is back at the track. Its a shame he got wrecked by Busch, he was flying in the beginning of the race. I'm also glad Nascar gave him an exemption to be eligible for the chase. It would have sent the wrong message if they hadn't to the media that he should have got back in the car immediately. Plus with only two races left the deck is stacked against Tony making it, but I hope he does now. Feel bad for Harvick getting wrecked by a car that really had no business being up front. I don't like how he bashed his crew, they were solid but Hamlin's crew was in another world that night. I remember back in 1998 when 18 secons was flying and Dale Jarrett's crew had the fastest crew (after they were hired away from Gordon lol).

I remember Benny Parsons (I think it was him) challenging the crews to do a 13 second stop and he would reward them with some amount of money. It's crazy how fast they are now. I hope they don't penalize Gibbs by taking away whatever air gun they're using.

Peanut
09-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Caution! Fan on the fence!

:laugh:

I'm just glad he wasn't debris on the track.

Larson didn't make the Chase. Not bad for a rookie, though.

BroncosFanInPA
09-06-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm sorry to say this but...that had to be one of the worst races ever! Absolutely pathetic!

Seriously? 383 of 400 laps by one guy? :yawn:

Peanut
09-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Caution! Fan on the fence!

:laugh:

I'm just glad he wasn't debris on the track.

Larson didn't make the Chase. Not bad for a rookie, though.

When I made the comment above, I had not seen a picture of where he was. I'm glad they got him down safely.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/insane-fan-climbs-to-top-of-catch-fence-during-nascar-race-022618592.html

FLBroncFan
09-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm sorry to say this but...that had to be one of the worst races ever! Absolutely pathetic!

Seriously? 383 of 400 laps by one guy? :yawn:

Yup, quite the snooze-fest...I kept flipping back and forth between the race and MSU vs ORE and each time I went back to ABC the #2 car was still leading.

roushmartin6
09-10-2014, 12:10 AM
I missed the race because I was at work but its sad that Richmond was a snoozefest, it used to be a great race every year

FL BRONCO
09-10-2014, 10:28 AM
When I made the comment above, I had not seen a picture of where he was. I'm glad they got him down safely.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/insane-fan-climbs-to-top-of-catch-fence-during-nascar-race-022618592.html

Wow. Why would anyone do that? He started out at Race, probably ended up in jail and will never go to anothe Nascar event again. I don't get it. I am glad He didn't end up below

BroncosFanInPA
09-13-2014, 07:17 AM
So anybody have predictions on who will take the chase?

I think the final 4 will come down to Gordon, Harvick, Logano & either Keselowski or Dale Jr.

First 4 out i think will be Almirola, Almendinger, Biffle & Newman or Kahne

Peanut
09-14-2014, 10:43 AM

I think the final 4 will come down to Gordon, Harvick, Logano & either Keselowski or Dale Jr.

I haven't really thought about it. I think it would be great if Gordon won his 5th. I think it would be great if JR won his first (get that off his back). It would be great if Kyle Busch won his second ( :D ).

I think you're right about the first 4 out.

BroncosFanInPA
09-16-2014, 03:38 PM
This is not looking good for Tony at all. :(

I was expecting this week to hear that no charges will be filed & he would be cleared, instead he may be in serious trouble & could go to jail...i just don't get it. :ugh:

Southstander
09-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Sorry PA, but it never looked good in my eyes for him. My brother was murdered when it hit and killed by a car, so my view so this are based, and biased on this. My heart goes out to the family and to Tony Stewart his as well. This is a very hard issue. I can only hope justice is done and it is fair.

Southstander
09-16-2014, 05:43 PM

If Jeff, Jimmie or Little Dale win the Cup a good cases be made, if it has not already, the Hendrick is the most dominate team in NASCAR history.

Peanut
09-16-2014, 11:09 PM
This is not looking good for Tony at all. :(

I was expecting this week to hear that no charges will be filed & he would be cleared, instead he may be in serious trouble & could go to jail...i just don't get it. :ugh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/does-a-grand-jury-mean-further-trouble-for-tony-stewart--210209483.html

It's neither a bad sign nor a good sign; it's the expected course of action. Referring the case to the grand jury is "not overly surprising," Rehkopf said, adding that he "would not infer anything" from the D.A.'s decision. Rehkopf noted that Ontario County's district attorney has a history of referring cases with a "hint of a possibility" of criminal charges to the grand jury.

"And that's not necessarily a bad thing," Rehkopf added. "From a broader societal perspective, this allows the grand jury, on behalf of the people, to say 'we do' or 'we do not believe there was criminal intent.'"

Kind of like passing the buck, isn't it? Someone on SC said that it's because it's such a high profile case.

Southy, I feel for you and your family in the loss of your brother. But this situation is different in that it happened on a race track.

FLBroncFan
09-19-2014, 06:03 PM
I entered the Chase Perfect Grid Challenge on NASCAR.com and picked Keselowski to win it all (before the Chicagoland race) but included Gordon, Jimmie & Jr. in my top 4....really have my heart set on Jr. to get the Championship though.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/af6f6089b4361bd437b33d3c045b6d84671b6c30/c=355-149-2908-3550&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2014/02/17//1392696851000-02-17-2014-Dale-Earnhardt.jpg

FL BRONCO
09-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Sad to see MA go. I liked him. I wish him well.

First four gone--
Almirola
Almendinger
Newman
Kahne

To win---I hope Dale Jr. /if not I believe it will be Jeff

BroncosFanInPA
09-23-2014, 08:25 PM
This is a long article but very interesting & it brought up some points i never even thought about.

http://reddirtclay.com/2014/09/23/stand-with-smoke/

Editorial

For the last several weeks I have watched a great champion and a great man be dragged through the mud by reporters, a sheriff and a DA. I did what others thought I should do and I sat on my hands. His case has now been sent to a Grand Jury. It’s time to stop sitting on my hands. This editorial may well cost me everything that I have worked so hard for and if it does, at least I can say that I lost it showing loyalty to a friend and a mentor. Honestly that means more than any accolade or acknowledgment that I could ever receive because it will give me the peace of mind that I was true to my roots and who I am as well as a man that has given so much to so many and gone out of his way to try to improve the lives and opportunities of many in this world.

On August 9, 2014, Tony Stewart’s life was forever changed. His heart was torn from his chest and placed on display for the world to see because a young man disregarded a very basic rule. That young driver made a bad choice and a bad decision when he chose to get out of his winged sprint car and went on to a live track to express his displeasure with what may or may not have been contact that caused him to spin out in a local race in Canandaigua New York with the Empire Sprints. His actions turned tragic as he was killed when he apparently lost his footing on the track and was struck by Tony Stewart’s car.

Within minutes of the tragedy people from the track were calling Stewart a murderer and worse. The tragedy was escalated by media people who instead of waiting for the story, became experts on dirt racing and “winged sprint cup cars”. Please note here, there has never been a winged sprint cup car.

Journalists who had never seen these cars race, and had extremely limited dirt racing experience had an opinion, and they were out to prove a point. Past incidents became proof that Stewart had intentionally hit the young man, or at the very least struck him while “trying to teach him a lesson”. The reality of the situation was stunning. The released video showed something completely different. But yet the video was not clear enough for anyone to point a definite finger at the 11 time national champion. Still point they did.

Over the next few weeks we watched a series of vendettas’ unfold before us in the media. We watched an investigation drag out even after the body had been released, the cars returned, and the track began to race again. The investigation hinged on a video that was not released to the public and an autopsy that was sealed other than cause of death.

Speculation ran amuck. But no one asked the obvious questions. Why was the autopsy sealed including its toxicology report? Why was the remaining video kept secret? Press releases from the Sheriff continued to say there was no evidence to indicate that there was any criminal wrong doing on the part of Mr. Stewart. But other than that, we had this conference and sent this release because we wanted to tell you that we have nothing more to tell you. Not a single member of the media asked the questions that continued to be brought up by fans that read their articles.

At no time was ESPN asked to justify why they had published a video interview with Stewart Friesen who is married to Stewart’s ex-girlfriend, Jessica Zemken, who was at the track. At no time were they asked how they determined Friesen to be a qualified evaluator when his sprint car experience is very limited. He is obviously a biased source as the relationship between Zemken and Stewart ended badly. They continued to insinuate that somehow Stewart was this horrible hot headed monster that took the life of a young driver intentionally.

At no time were members of the NASCAR media asked what their dirt credentials were as they appeared on TV to give their expert opinions. At no time was Nancy Grace asked what her expertise in the racing community was. These people instead, were given free rein to continue what had become a Salem type witch hunt of a man who stayed silent and allowed the legal process to proceed.

Kevin Ward Jr was made a martyr and a hero. His actions quickly forgotten in the rush to find fault and rid the racing community of the hot head that took his life. T-Shirts were made and sold and the car was used to promote events held in his memory and benefitting his family.

The real story here was Kevin Ward Jr was not a rookie. He had been driving 360 winged sprint cars for four years. He had four victories to his credit in that time. He had history of being volatile and had been warned previously about exiting a vehicle on to a live track. Ward was a second generation racer who had been around the sport since he was four. His knowledge and experience should have kept him in the minimally damaged car. The rule book said he should have stayed in the car, but he made a different choice and that choice cost him his life and forever changed the life of Tony Stewart.

The saddest part of that is that here was a young man who had the opportunity to have the ear of one of the greatest drivers in history. He had the chance to tell him he was unhappy and why. He had the opportunity to learn from a man whose skills and abilities could have helped him improve his career and lead to many more victories than the four he had. Instead, he chose to act out in anger and he paid the ultimate price for that choice.

It was not the actions of the driver of the car that struck him that cost him his life. It was the choice he made on a live track in a dark uniform and helmet on a poorly lit track that cost him his life.

At some point there has to be some accountability for Ward, for the Sheriff, for the DA, for the media. At some point there has to be a line drawn that says you made the choice and decision to race a car on a dirt track and to get out of that car on a dirt track and approach a car moving 35 to 40 mph. Despite everything that you were told and taught, you chose to attempt to make physical contact with that car, and or its driver, you paid for it with your life.

Stewart has assumed the accountability for not being able to avoid the unavoidable. He has offered his prayers, his thoughts and his cooperation.

Now it has been sent to the Grand Jury and we face the ultimate end to the vendettas. The inexperienced, unknowledgeable media, has educated the grand jury with misinformation and tainted data. Those 23 people will make the decision on what is to happen to a man who went to a track to try to boost awareness and ticket sales and enjoy his roots. What happened turned into a tragedy that he may never recover from emotionally.

Those same reporters are now quoting law handbooks and projecting what they believe will be the outcome. Yet they have little knowledge of what those handbooks mean and represent, just as they know little about dirt racing and winged sprint cars.

At this point the greatest dirt drivers in the world will not speak to what the car is or isn’t, what it can or can’t do. They are afraid to speak on anything that can be used to support or otherwise assist a man that has helped most all of them at one time or another. Men that have been heroes to the dirt family for a long time sit in silence and fear, and watch to see what will happen.

The dirt media family sits silently trying hard to follow journalistic protocol which says that you can’t address what you do not know. Sanctioning bodies sit silently while teams he owns run their series every single race, but will not speak to what their rule books say in similar matters.

I will no longer do that. I am going to say flat out this entire thing is a travesty of justice. It was a tragic accident that was brought about by a poor choice made by a young man who let his temper get away from him and he paid the price for that. But he is not alone in paying that price. Tony Stewart is paying that price every single day of his life and he has to go on living. He has given up everything but his ability to make a pay check to pay his bills. A pay check that will undoubtedly be claimed by a family that will more than likely file a civil suit once the criminal proceedings are completed.

Ontario County New York has garnered the profits from an investigation that went on for over a month and got their Sheriff re-elected to office. The DA has sent it to the Grand Jury but won’t say when that date will be, anymore than they would disclose autopsy and toxicology reports. No one is questioning the process or the reasoning behind it. No one is questioning who the experts were that made such a grand impression that the final outcome was to send the case to a criminal grand jury.

I am asking the questions. What are you hiding? Who were these experts, and what are their qualifications? How do their skills and resumes line up in comparison to the man they are to testify against? Why did you continue to investigate when the evidence and the crime scene and even the body had been released? How do you find fault with a man who even with the skills he has, was at a disadvantage from the time the yellow flag flew? How do ignore points of law that are this blatant, and yet expect the world that is watching to believe you are interested in fair and just results? My questions went unanswered. In fact I was told that they were not pertinent and the only statements that were going to be made had been made.

It is time as an auto racing family, that motorsports comes together and say to those journalists and outlets, that they have crossed the line from freedom of the press, and freedom of speech, to vendetta and invective. It is time for those of us with experience and knowledge of the car, and how it races and handles to say enough is enough.

Peanut
09-23-2014, 11:41 PM
This is a long article but very interesting & it brought up some points i never even thought about.

http://reddirtclay.com/2014/09/23/stand-with-smoke/

Powerful editorial. It's not going to be popular. He brings up a lot of good points, though.

The real story here was Kevin Ward Jr was not a rookie. He had been driving 360 winged sprint cars for four years. He had four victories to his credit in that time. He had history of being volatile and had been warned previously about exiting a vehicle on to a live track. Ward was a second generation racer who had been around the sport since he was four. His knowledge and experience should have kept him in the minimally damaged car. The rule book said he should have stayed in the car, but he made a different choice and that choice cost him his life and forever changed the life of Tony Stewart.

The bolded. Why have we not heard this before? That should have been reported early on.

I do pray that the truth is told and that justice is done. Whatever that is.

roushmartin6
09-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Powerful editorial. It's not going to be popular. He brings up a lot of good points, though.

The bolded. Why have we not heard this before? That should have been reported early on.

I do pray that the truth is told and that justice is done. Whatever that is.

We haven't heard about it because all the media wants to do it seems is smear Tony. The whole thing was a tragic accident. The sooner this mess gets resolved the better.

Peanut
09-24-2014, 02:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/tony-stewart-not-charged-by-grand-jury-in-death-of-kevin-ward-jr-190047656.html

Tony Stewart will not be charged by an Ontario County (N.Y.) Grand Jury in the death of Kevin Ward Jr.

The grand jury determined Wednesday that there was no evidence of a criminal act. The case was passed on to the grand jury by Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo last week.

Tantillo said "two dozen" people were interviewed in the case and revealed that toxicology reports determined that Ward had marijuana in his system.

"There is toxicology evidence in the case related to Kevin Ward, that actually indicated at the time of operation that he was under the influence of marijuana," Tantillo said. "There was no toxicology work performed on Tony Stewart, however a certified drug recognition expert had interviewed him on the night of the collision and determined that he found no basis to observe any alcohol consumption or impairment by drugs."

When asked about Ward's toxicology reports, Tantillo said that the amount in his system was "enough to impair judgment."

Shortly after Tantillo spoke, Stewart issued a statement.

“This has been the toughest and most emotional experience of my life, and it will stay with me forever. I’m very grateful for all the support I’ve received and continue to receive.

“I respect everything the District Attorney and Sheriff’s Office did to thoroughly investigate this tragic accident. While the process was long and emotionally difficult, it allowed for all the facts of the accident to be identified and known.

“While much of the attention has been on me, it’s important to remember a young man lost his life. Kevin Ward Jr.’s family and friends will always be in my thoughts and prayers.”

Stewart can still face a civil suit. With Ward's toxicology reports and his rep of a temper, I really hope the family doesn't file.

BroncosFanInPA
09-24-2014, 03:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/tony-stewart-not-charged-by-grand-jury-in-death-of-kevin-ward-jr-190047656.html

Stewart can still face a civil suit. With Ward's toxicology reports and his rep of a temper, I really hope the family doesn't file.

Amen! It's about time & i question why in the heck it even had to get this far to a grand jury if they already knew the kid had drugs in his system, this whole process stinks! like the article i posted talked about.

And yeah peanut, i just don't see where his family has any ground to stand on after these "new details" about their son.

Tony can now try to begin to pick himself back up & move on with his life as best he possibly can do given what has taken place

Peanut
09-24-2014, 04:32 PM
It's not over.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/ward-family-issues-statement-saying--the-matter-is-not-at-rest-215917279.html

Here's the Ward family's statement.

"Our son got out of his car during caution when the race was suspended. All the other vehicles were reducing speed and not accelerating except for Stewart, who intentionally tried to intimidate Kevin by accelerating and sliding his car toward him, causing the tragedy. The focus should be on the actions of Mr. Stewart. This matter is not at rest and we will pursue all remedies in fairness to Kevin.”

The marijuana revelation, previously unreported, provided new evidence that transferred the focus of responsibility from Stewart back to Ward, something his family took issue with.

I can't imagine what this family is going through, but... I'm going to wait to make any further comments because it's going to come across as being insensitive.

BroncosFanInPA
09-24-2014, 04:43 PM
It's not over.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/ward-family-issues-statement-saying--the-matter-is-not-at-rest-215917279.html

Here's the Ward family's statement.

"Our son got out of his car during caution when the race was suspended. All the other vehicles were reducing speed and not accelerating except for Stewart, who intentionally tried to intimidate Kevin by accelerating and sliding his car toward him, causing the tragedy. The focus should be on the actions of Mr. Stewart. This matter is not at rest and we will pursue all remedies in fairness to Kevin.”

I can't imagine what this family is going through, but... I'm going to wait to make any further comments because it's going to come across as being insensitive.

Just let it out Peanut, insensitive or not.

They are out for tony's money now of course & although none of us can imagine what they are going through with the loss of their son, it seems a bit disturbing what they are accusing tony of after he has been cleared & also thinking that their son did absolutely nothing wrong.

I said it before, my condolences go out to them but they should try to move on & accept the facts & that is that if kevin doesn't get out of his car & run down the track then he would still be here today.

I'm sure tony has or will reach out to them but it's obvious right now at least, that they aren't going to give him the time of day.

Peanut
09-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Just let it out Peanut, insensitive or not.

They are out for tony's money now of course & although none of us can imagine what they are going through with the loss of their son, it seems a bit disturbing what they are accusing tony of after he has been cleared & also thinking that their son did absolutely nothing wrong.

I said it before, my condolences go out to them but they should try to move on & accept the facts & that is that if kevin doesn't get out of his car & run down the track then he would still be here today.

I'm sure tony has or will reach out to them but it's obvious right now at least, that they aren't going to give him the time of day.

I have lost family and friends, but never a child. I have friends who have lost a child and I know it's one of the hardest things to go through. You're not suppose to outlast your child.

"The focus should be on the actions of Mr. Stewart."

"The marijuana revelation, previously unreported, provided new evidence that transferred the focus of responsibility from Stewart back to Ward, something his family took issue with."

Those two statements make me think two things.

1. They are in denial. Otherwise, they have to see that Ward played a huge part in what happened. Getting high before a race? Getting out of the car when he had been told before not to?

2. What you said. Money. Someone on SC just said that if they file, they'll lose. Why put themselves through it?

If it's number 2, I empathize with them, but no respect.

roushmartin6
09-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Glad this is over. Hopefully the Ward's don't go through with dragging this out further. Its over, it was tragic and the new information today doesn't help matters, but its time to bury this. If anything good has come from this, its that there are new safety measures in place at a lot of tracks now.

FLBroncFan
09-25-2014, 02:51 PM
All the money in the world will not bring someone back from a tragic death, nor will it bring happiness to a family that is not, in my opinion, thinking clearly.

Freyaka
09-27-2014, 09:43 AM
http://racing.ap.org/article/stewart-unsure-if-hell-race-sprint-cars-again

Stewart says he's unsure if he'll ever race in a sprint car race again.

Peanut
09-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Just read the statement that the aunt put out for the family. Let's not talk about what Kevin did? Like he's all innocent and did nothing wrong? I hope it's part of the grieving and they're in the denial stage and that very soon, they will realize how so off they sound (trying to be nice). I still pray for all involved.

FL BRONCO
09-28-2014, 09:38 PM
As far as I know, you can tell a person has marijuana in their system, but you cant tell when they smoked it or were under the influence. It all depends on many different factors and determining exactly when it was actually smoked and when the individual was actually under the influence is not possible. I personally do not know why that was an issue or info that needed to be released. I think they should have left that out.

I am glad Tony won't be charged. He did not tell the kid to get out of the car and come down close like that. That accident, imo was just that and it was Wards fault for losing his head and putting himself where he should never have been. I do feel bad for the family, but that accident was an accident and it more to do with Kevin than Tony. I hope he continues his racing career in Sprint Cup , but if I'm him I don't think I'd race in the sprint car races again.

roushmartin6
10-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Well since football came back I haven't been keeping up with Nascar as much as I had been. Surprised Kurt Busch was part of the first elimination.

ELWAY421
10-03-2014, 08:37 PM
We are getting down to the nitty gritty & It's about time Jr gets it clicking here!!! We didn't come this far to let it slip away, lol.

AZ Snake Fan
10-05-2014, 08:08 PM

We are getting down to the nitty gritty & It's about time Jr gets it clicking here!!! We didn't come this far to let it slip away, lol.

You jinxed Jr lol.
A whole bunch of the top contenders crashed hard today.
Kinda throws a monkey wrench into the mix.
This may get interesting.
Good for Joey, the kid ran hard.

On to Charlotte !!! :D

kingelway7
10-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Well, yesterday sucked, and thats as mildly as I can put it without getting an infraction.

Jr leading by 2 secs, and starting to really dominate and then the tire blows and he's done for the day. Now 25 pts out of the all important 8th spot. Unless he gets a win, he's now hosed:sad: Same goes for Jimmie

Hopefully the car wasnt destroyed to bad, as it was the same car he won both Pocono races with. That car is good, real good.

The only thing leaving out any hope for Jr is that Talladega is coming up. High probability of a win there. Im sure Jimmie is thrilled for Charlotte next week. High probability of a win for him there.

BroncosFanInPA
10-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Well, yesterday sucked, and thats as mildly as I can put it without getting an infraction.

Jr leading by 2 secs, and starting to really dominate and then the tire blows and he's done for the day. Now 25 pts out of the all important 8th spot. Unless he gets a win, he's now hosed:sad: Same goes for Jimmie

Hopefully the car wasnt destroyed to bad, as it was the same car he won both Pocono races with. That car is good, real good.

The only thing leaving out any hope for Jr is that Talladega is coming up. High probability of a win there. Im sure Jimmie is thrilled for Charlotte next week. High probability of a win for him there.

Yeah it was a tough break for Jr. for sure, i thought he had a decent shot at the cup this year but it will be really hard now without winning 1 of the next 2 races.

As far as the 48 goes...no disrespect but i could care less about him crashing out & don't care if he has problems the next 2 races & i'm willing to bet just about anybody outside of being a fan of the 48 feels the same way.

You can only take so much of the same thing year after year before you get sick & tired of it.

ELWAY421
10-06-2014, 10:43 PM

You jinxed Jr lol.
A whole bunch of the top contenders crashed hard today.
Kinda throws a monkey wrench into the mix.
This may get interesting.
Good for Joey, the kid ran hard.

On to Charlotte !!! :D

Need a win big time. Hopefully he can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

roushmartin6
10-08-2014, 12:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyfn-_AW1h4

Such a depressing video. Wish Nascar would go back here and ditch a date at one of the 1.5 tracks. A short track that goes uphill and downhill, Wilkesboro was so unique :(

roushmartin6
10-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Watching the video I posted has me really thinking about the future of Nascar. Ever since Brian France took over, I really feel the sport is dieing a slow death. I started watching Nascar when I was a little kid, around 1996. The sport was great. The cars had that awesome sound, they didn't have problems like aero loose or tight, they were giant monsters screaming around tracks across the country. You knew who drove the Tide car, the Goodwrench car, the Valvoline car, the Dupont car. You didn't need more than one sponsor to run a competitive team. The tracks were unique and spread across the country. As the sport moved closer to the year 2000, the sport was booming. Unfortunately we lost part of what made it great in North Wilkesboro which I think was one of the first dominos to fall. Bruton Smith and Bob Baehr bought the track, closed it and moved the dates to Texas Motor Speedway (an almost identical track to Charlotte) and New Hampshire Speedway. Anways, the sport was growing at an outstanding rate, it soon was the number 2 sport behind only our beloved NFL football. Tracks couldn't build seats fast enough to keep up with the demand for tickets to tracks. Cities were transforming from the revenue that races brought in. Chicagoland and Kansas were built (more 1.5 tracks). Then Dale Earnhardt was killed in Daytona, not only was his loss huge for the sport, but an important voice was lost as well. Dale had a lot of say in the garage and Bill France trusted his opinions.

When Brian France took over, the sport started to tailspin. For some reason tracks like Darlington and Rockingham lost dates to go to tracks who already had a date and were similar to other ones. Darlington is just now getting back its proper date for the Southern 500. The cars were changing into sleek bullet like things that could go fast, but now handled like crap if you weren't leading the race, resulting in boring follow the leader races. The rules were tighened. You now only had a choice of two gear ratios now in an effort to police the teams. No longer could you sacrifice fuel mileage for speed. You ran what Nascar said you could. Now every team can make it on fuel within 5 laps of each other now. I don't need to tell you have lame that is. Dale Earnhardt would have been the first to speak out on all the rules changes that have taken place since he died. Nascar is no longer Nascar. They sold out. They claim to want to keep the cost of operating down yet car counts are way down because you can't afford to buy the parts from Nascar needed to build these cars, do the testing, or truck cars across the country in a schedule that could be aligned better. Now tracks are taking seats out so they don't look like a joke with more tarps on the seats than a Jags game. Texas built a giant TV (just like Charlotte) on the backstretch in an effort to bring people to the track. I haven't been to a race since 2009 because 1, its so expensive to travel with the economy, and hotels multiply the problem with jacked up room rates when Nascar is in town and 2. The racing is just not as good as it was in the late 90s, early 2000s.

The Nationwide series has become a huge joke. Its basically cup Saturday practice now. 10-15 years ago you had teams that could just run the Nationwide/Busch series and make a living doing it. Now its basically cup teams with a few independent teams fighting to survive. Sure you had guys like Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, Ward Burton, even Jeff Gordon a few times that would run in the Busch series, the difference is they didn't run almost every race, just a handful a year. Now if you want great racing a chance to develop young talent, you run them in the truck series. This brings me to my next issue. The Nationwide schedule is almost identical to the cup schedule. Gone are stand alone tracks such as Nazareth (another track thats in terrible condition now, look it up) Pikes Peak, Memphis, Nashville (both the short track and the superspeedway), Milwaukee mile, etc. I was very happy to see Gateway return to the schedule.

Finally you have the points system. Auto racing is a sport built on consistency, not eliminations and gimmicks. The chase was ok when they introduced it, I understood the reasong behind it after Matt Kenseth's championship. But now they literally change the rules every year, its hard to take the sport seriously anymore. I watch Nascar during the NFL offseason but once football is back, I don't watch much of it. With Mark retired its even more the case, no driver to root for. Sorry for this long post but watching the Wilkesboro video got me thinking. I still love Nascar and I wish it would go back to the glory days. I don't want to see it die out and become a memeory like Wilkesboro

AZ Snake Fan
10-10-2014, 06:54 PM

Yeah it was a tough break for Jr. for sure, i thought he had a decent shot at the cup this year but it will be really hard now without winning 1 of the next 2 races.

As far as the 48 goes...no disrespect but i could care less about him crashing out & don't care if he has problems the next 2 races & i'm willing to bet just about anybody outside of being a fan of the 48 feels the same way.

You can only take so much of the same thing year after year before you get sick & tired of it.

Ditto.
Chad has a big bag of tricks, NASCAR has only caught a few of them over the years.

BroncosFanInPA
10-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Keselowski is such an idiot!

When matt kenseth goes after someone then you know it's bad because matt is just not that kind of person.

It sure was fun to watch though & i say they should have let them go at it instead of getting in the middle of them & holding matt & denny back.

When i first saw how brad's front got smashed, i couldn't help but laugh at what tony did. :laugh: i am however a bit surprised he did with all that has gone on with the accident & all but that's just smoke being himself.

brianmcfarlane
10-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Keselowski is a crybaby ... he should be reprimanded for his actions tonight. And I am no Kenseth fan either, but I did not see him or Hamlin do a thing to crybaby in the race, especially not in the last restart.

Peanut
10-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Poor Brad. :D

I hope Larson wins a race this year. He just needs to stop hitting the wall.

Freyaka
10-12-2014, 06:48 AM
https://i.imgur.com/BzfprYj.jpg

Kenseth took the law into his own hands against bullying last night lol....

BroncosFanInPA
10-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Going to be interesting to see what penalties nascar hands down over all this, remember a few years back they sat kyle out of a race after he went after hornaday under caution

Thors Hammer
10-12-2014, 07:50 AM
I could see NASCAR sitting Keselowski for at least one race. Its one thing to provoke an incident with one driver, but when you've got 3 drivers looking for you after a race, well, you probably done wrong.

And it's not the first time Keselowski has had an on track incident like that.

roushmartin6
10-13-2014, 01:30 AM
I could see NASCAR sitting Keselowski for at least one race. Its one thing to provoke an incident with one driver, but when you've got 3 drivers looking for you after a race, well, you probably done wrong.

And it's not the first time Keselowski has had an on track incident like that.

I think they just fine him money. They don't want to lose viewers and after this incident, there could be a ratings spike

Peanut
10-14-2014, 11:57 PM
NASCAR issues penalties for Charlotte post-race: NASCAR has assessed behavioral penalties to drivers #2-Brad Keselowski and #14-Tony Stewart for their involvement in post-race incidents on Oct. 11 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Keselowski has been fined $50,000 and placed on NASCAR probation for the next four NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship events through Nov. 12 for violating:
" Section 12-1: Actions detrimental to stock car racing
" Section 12-4.9: Behavioral penalty -- involved in post-race incidents
Stewart has been fined $25,000 and placed on NASCAR probation for the next four NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship events through Nov. 12 for violating:
" Section 12-1: Actions detrimental to stock car racing
" Section 12-4.9: Behavioral penalty -- involved in a post-race incident
"These penalties are about maintaining a safe environment following the race," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR senior vice president, competition and racing development. "We knew that the new Chase format was likely going to raise the intensity level and we want our drivers to continue to be themselves. However, the safety of our drivers, crew members, officials, and workers is paramount and we will react when that safety could be compromised."(NASCAR)(10-14-2014)

I'm surprised Hamlin didn't get penalized. I thought he did some bumper car stuff.

BroncosFanInPA
10-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Well boys & girls i am going to Martinsville! :dance: Just purchased tickets a short time ago & here's the story...

My son's idea...obviously we can't afford it & haven't gone to any races for a couple years but after all the trips to the local short track this year, he wanted to go to the big show & i said maybe next year we can work something out.

So fast forward to a few weeks ago & my son won $400 from school for doing so well in one of his classes & that's what he wanted to do with the money, i even gave him an option to put that money towards car insurance so we can get him his license because we can't afford that either until next year.

Nope he chose to go to the race & so me my wife & my oldest son are heading down to Martinsville, VA & i'd imagine that should be a good one...lots of beating & banging on the short track.

Just thought i would share the story with all my fellow nascar fans. :salute:

Peanut
10-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Well boys & girls i am going to Martinsville! :dance: Just purchased tickets a short time ago & here's the story...

My son's idea...obviously we can't afford it & haven't gone to any races for a couple years but after all the trips to the local short track this year, he wanted to go to the big show & i said maybe next year we can work something out.

So fast forward to a few weeks ago & my son won $400 from school for doing so well in one of his classes & that's what he wanted to do with the money, i even gave him an option to put that money towards car insurance so we can get him his license because we can't afford that either until next year.

Nope he chose to go to the race & so me my wife & my oldest son are heading down to Martinsville, VA & i'd imagine that should be a good one...lots of beating & banging on the short track.

Nice school. :D

I know a couple of people who have been to Martinsville (the ladies I meet up with in Dover. They're from NY). They loved it. You'll have a great time.

BroncosFanInPA
10-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Nice school. :D

I know a couple of people who have been to Martinsville (the ladies I meet up with in Dover. They're from NY). They loved it. You'll have a great time.

This will actually be the second time we have been to martinsville, ironically this is the track we first took him to about 10 years ago, but he was so young i doubt he remembers much from that day.

Should be a good time for sure & i will post pics when we get back.

AZ Snake Fan
10-16-2014, 04:36 PM

What a cool story and what a cool son you have there PA !!!
Enjoy yourselves and have a great time !

FL BRONCO
10-16-2014, 07:24 PM

Congratulations!!! I'd cp but have to spread it. But on a personal note, this will be a heck of a memory for all of you and I"m very glad he chose it, I think he chose wisely. Have fun and enjoy every second. The first one we ever did was Daytona 500 innfield the year Davey Allison won. Heck of a time and worth every memory. Very happy for you and have a great time. All I have to add is :salute::salute::salute:to you and your family and your memories you are making. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Peanut
10-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Anyone see Cup Quals?

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2014/10/18/7001059/2014-nascar-talladega-qualifying-results

I had it recorded and after seeing this article, I had to go and watch it. Weird.

No doubt that those at the back can make it to the front in no time (if they want). I'm just concerned about some of the ones starting near the front.

:salute: to Terry Labonte. This is his last race.

1 Brian Vickers
2 Jimmie Johnson
3 A.J. Allmendinger
4 Ryan Blaney
5 Brad Keselowski
6 Michael McDowell
7 Travis Kvapil
8 Kasey Kahne
9 Terry Labonte
10 Michael Annett
11 Ryan Newman
12 Martin Truex Jr.
13 Matt Kenseth
14 Alex Bowman
15 Carl Edwards
16 Trevor Bayne
17 Aric Almirola
18 Kurt Busch
19 Casey Mears
20 Paul Menard
21 David Gilliland
22 Cole Whitt
23 Mike Wallace
24 Greg Biffle
25 David Ragan
26 Marcos Ambrose
27 Danica Patrick
28 Dale Earnhardt Jr.
29 Landon Cassill
30 Austin Dillon
31 Jamie McMurray
32 J.J. Yeley
33 Clint Bowyer
34 Michael Waltrip
35 Josh Wise
36 Reed Sorenson
37 Tony Stewart
38 Denny Hamlin
39 Kevin Harvick
40 Joey Logano
41 Kyle Busch
42 Kyle Larson
43 Jeff Gordon

BroncosFanInPA
10-19-2014, 04:20 PM
What a race! Really shocked we didn't have the big one.

Tough break for Kyle & Dale, hate to see them get knocked out of it like that & i would rather keselowski be out with them as well, but got to give him credit for getting the win to advance.

3 of the 4 hendricks car knocked out & the 24 only made it in by 3 points, what a crazy chase setup.

Martinsville should be crazy too & i can't wait to be there.

FL BRONCO
10-19-2014, 05:00 PM
What a race! Really shocked we didn't have the big one.

Tough break for Kyle & Dale, hate to see them get knocked out of it like that & i would rather keselowski be out with them as well, but got to give him credit for getting the win to advance.

3 of the 4 hendricks car knocked out & the 24 only made it in by 3 points, what a crazy chase setup.

Martinsville should be crazy too & i can't wait to be there.

Yes it was, Hate that for Dale, it looked like Biffle got him. But thats racing. Have fun in Martinsville:salute:

Peanut
10-19-2014, 11:09 PM
I haven't watched the race, yet (football takes preference. Washington was playing), but being on the internet and having SC on (and a certain CP message :D ), I know pretty much all the interesting things that happened.

I'm disappointed that Kyle and JR didn't make it.

I wonder if Jayski has the comparison between the new, the old Chase and the old points system? I know last year, it didn't matter. Jimmie would have won under the old.

roushmartin6
10-19-2014, 11:25 PM
That was a crazy finish. Brad has to win or be left behind and he goes out and wins it, just crazy. The 48 is out of it as well, that alone is crazy. I think Nascar needs a new solution for knockout qualifying at the plate tracks. Allgaier and Stenhouse missed the race while Mike Wallace of all people get in.

ELWAY421
10-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Well how was the race PA? JR won as you know :D. Day late and dollar short though.

BroncosFanInPA
10-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Well how was the race PA? JR won as you know :D. Day late and dollar short though.

The race was awesome! The weather was great & we had an excellent view of the track.

The crowd was going crazy for Jr. winning as expected & i figured tony would have a hard time holding off him or jeff when only 2 others stayed out on the final caution with 10 to go but heck..what did he have to lose? wasn't gonna win by pitting with the rest.

If only 2 or 3 others stayed maybe he pulls it off, but overall i was happy with his overall performance in the race...tony had a strong car all day & it was good all through a run.

That was easily his best race start to finish of the year & it was awesome to be there for it.

There was alot of action around the track all day & the only downside was the stops for the red flags due to cleanup but we had a great time & i don't know how it looked on tv, but seemed like really good attendance...stands were nearly full.

I will try to get some pics posted in a bit when i get a chance.

BroncosFanInPA
10-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Well here are a few shots from the race from our seats & they all kind of look the same lol! But anyway these were from the wife's phone...silly me in a hurry to get inside the track, i forgot the good camera in the car.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/race.png (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/race.png.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/race3.png (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/race3.png.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/race6.png (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/race6.png.html)

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/smoke141/untitled-1.png (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/smoke141/media/untitled-1.png.html)

Peanut
10-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Great pictures, PA. I'm glad you got to see Tony lead some laps and have a good finish. I don't know if you recorded the race, but in his interview, Tony had some good things to say about his fans. Said this race was for you guys.

roushmartin6
10-30-2014, 01:04 AM
Those are some awesome pics PA. I haven't been to a race since 2009, not sure I should go to another one, when I went it was at Chicagoland, Mark spanked the field and won the race lol

Southstander
11-06-2014, 08:48 PM
I am becoming less and less of a Brad Keselowski fan. I was not big fan after the way he put Carl Edwards in to the fences and nearly killed him as well as dozens of fans. In my opinion this a part of a larger problem I call the "Dale Effect". We starting to see more and more young drivers that looked up to Dale Earnhardt growing and his driving style. The Young Turks try to drive like him but do not have the talent level that "The Intimidator" had. Plus when Dale was "rattling cages" and driving on the edge most drivers were not. When you start have everyone on the razor's edge aggressively less drivers are on "defense" and that when bad things happen.

AZ Snake Fan
11-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Dale used aero before most drivers knew what it was.
Legend says Dale could see the air.

BTW Southie, did you hear that Johnson won a trophy with a red race car ?

BroncosFanInPA
11-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Yo AZ what did you do, pull the plug on the lights out there for the truck race?

BroncosFanInPA
11-09-2014, 05:44 PM
So the final four is set & there will be a first time champion & my money is on Harvick, that team has been fast all year long & i think it's his title to lose.

That was a heck of a move by newman on the final turn of the final lap to get in & bump gordon out & i saw no problem with what he did, he had to make that move.

Side note: My man Tony Stewart is down to one last shot for a win & extending a streak of at least one win or more every year of his career...15 consecutive seasons with a win is about to come to an end unless they give him an awesome car to race at homestead.

I'm hoping for the best but in all honesty i don't feel like there is much chance of him pulling of a win, just been one very bad year even aside from the tragic accident, that team just was not good all year.

roushmartin6
11-09-2014, 11:40 PM
So the final four is set & there will be a first time champion & my money is on Harvick, that team has been fast all year long & i think it's his title to lose.

That was a heck of a move by newman on the final turn of the final lap to get in & bump gordon out & i saw no problem with what he did, he had to make that move.

Side note: My man Tony Stewart is down to one last shot for a win & extending a streak of at least one win or more every year of his career...15 consecutive seasons with a win is about to come to an end unless they give him an awesome car to race at homestead.

I'm hoping for the best but in all honesty i don't feel like there is much chance of him pulling of a win, just been one very bad year even aside from the tragic accident, that team just was not good all year.

Nope, and honestly their problems stretched into last year as well. If Tony Stewart and Mark Martin can't get that car to run up front consistently, there needs to be changes and I think they will come this offseason. As for the chase, I think its Harvick's as well but stranger things have happened. I think it would be hilarious if Newman wins it all with all this emphasis on winning and he hasn't won a race this year lol. Also I won't go into too much detail in this but Kurt Busch is just about out of chances in Nascar, with domestic abuse being the new hot topic, if he actually did it, thats probably the end of his career.

DenverBlood
11-10-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't follow NASCAR closely but I do know they changed the rules for the chase this year to be similar to a playoff.

But can someone explain to me how it works out for Newman (0 wins, and only 4 top fives) can still be head of guys like Jimmy and Jr. (4 wins a piece and over 10 top fives)?

I guess it's similar to a 9-7 Giants winning the Super Bowl.

But it just seems wrong that Jr and Johnson both were eliminated prior to winning races in the chase. So not only did they have better seasons but they even have wins since the chase started which Newman cannot claim.

Also were all of Newman's top five finishes since the chase started? I would assume so for him to be good enough to make it this far? But then it just makes me wonder how he had enough points to make the chase in the first place.

Freyaka
11-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't follow NASCAR closely but I do know they changed the rules for the chase this year to be similar to a playoff.

But can someone explain to me how it works out for Newman (0 wins, and only 4 top fives) can still be head of guys like Jimmy and Jr. (4 wins a piece and over 10 top fives)?

But it just seems wrong that Jr and Johnson both were eliminated prior to winning races in the chase. So not only did they have better seasons but they even have wins since the chase started which Newman cannot claim.

Also were all of Newman's top five finishes since the chase started? I would assume so for him to be good enough to make it this far? But then it just makes me wonder how he had enough points to make the chase in the first place.

Once the chase starts it's all a big elimination round. They start out with (I think) 16 and then widdle it down to the final competitors. Newman is ahead of all of those drivers because he was more consistent in the playoffs and was not eliminated.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/9/7/how-the-new-chase-format-works-chase-grid-101-chase-explainer.html

Peanut
11-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Instead of trying to explain (and confuse you), I got the following from Jayski. The bolded is mine. I would love it if Newman didn't win at Homestead, but won the championship.

NASCAR announced a new championship format today (July 15) that will put greater emphasis on winning races all season long, expands the current Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup field to 16 drivers, and implements a new round-by-round advancement format that ultimately will reward a battle-tested, worthy champion. "We have arrived at a format that makes every race matter even more, diminishes points racing, puts a premium on winning races and concludes with a best-of-the-best, first-to-the-finish line showdown race - all of which is exactly what fans want," said Brian France, NASCAR chairman and CEO. "We have looked at a number of concepts for the last three years through fan research, models and simulations, and also maintained extensive dialogue with our drivers, teams and partners. The new Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup will be thrilling, easy to understand and help drive our sport's competition to a whole new level."

Changes announced by France to the championship format include:
- A victory in the first 26 races all but guarantees a berth in the 10-race Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup - a change that will put an unprecedented importance on winning a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race all season long
- Expanding the Chase field from 12 to 16 drivers, with those drivers advancing to what now will be known as the NASCAR Chase Grid
- The number of championship drivers in contention for the NASCAR Sprint Cup championship will decrease after every three Chase races, from 16 to start in the Chase Grid; 12 after Chase race #3; eight after Chase race #6; and four after Chase race #9
- The first three races of the Chase (27-29) will be known as the Challenger Round
- Races 30-32 will be known as the Contender Round
- Races 33-35 will be the Eliminator Round and race #36 will be the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship
- A win by a championship-eligible driver in any Chase race automatically clinches the winning driver a spot in the next Chase round
- Four drivers will enter the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship with a chance at the title, with the highest finisher among those four capturing the prestigious NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship.

Unofficial Top 25 in 2014 Sprint Cup Driver Points Standings (not the Chase):
[after Phoenix, race 35 of 36]
(using current points system, but not the Chase rules, unofficial)
1) #24-Jeff Gordon(EC), 1217
2) #22-Joey Logano(C2), 1188, -29
3) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr.(EC), 1145, -72
4) #2-Brad Keselowski(EC), 1138, -79
5) #4-Kevin Harvick(C4), 1124, -93
6) #20-Matt Kenseth(EC), 1093, -124
7) #31-Ryan Newman(C3), 1093, -124
8) #99-Carl Edwards(EC), 1050, -167
9) #42-Kyle Larson, 1049, -168
10) #48-Jimmie Johnson(EC), 1032, -185
11) #16-Greg Biffle(EC), 997, -220
12) #1-Jamie McMurray, 975, -242
13) #18-Kyle Busch(EC), 964, -253
14) #11-Denny Hamlin(C1), 949, -268 (missed a races)
15) #15-Clint Bowyer, 943, -274
16) #3-Austin Dillon, 939, -278
17) #5-Kasey Kahne(EC), 934, -283
18) #27-Paul Menard, 904, -313
19) #55-Brian Vickers, 900, -317
20) #41-Kurt Busch(EC), 877, -340
21) #47-AJ Allmendinger(EC), 864, -353
22) #9-Marcos Ambrose, 855, -362
23) #78-Martin Truex Jr., 830, -387
24) #14-Tony Stewart, 798, -419 (missed 3 races)
25) #43-Aric Almirola(EC), 795, -422
(C# is chase driver and current Chase position)
(EC is chase driver that has been eliminated from the Chase)
(11-9-2014)

Unofficial Chase Standings using 2013 Sprint Cup Chase rules:
[after Phoenix, race 35 of 36]
1) #22-Joey Logano [5 wins] 2368
2) #4-Kevin Harvick [4 wins] 2342, -29
3) #2-Brad Keselowski [6 wins], 2320, -48
4) #24-Jeff Gordon [4 wins] 2312, -56
5) #31-Ryan Newman, 2311, -57
6) #20-Matt Kenseth, 2296, -72
7) #99-Carl Edwards [2 wins] 2278, -90
8) #18-Kyle Busch [1 win] 2277, -91
9) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. [4 wins], 2271, -97
10) #16-Greg Biffle [1 win], 2244, -124
11) #48-Jimmie Johnson [4 wins], 2239, -129
12) #5-Kasey Kahne [1 win], 2199, -169
(11-9-2014)

BroncosFanInPA
11-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Frey is right that it is an elimination style format & the fact Jr. & Jimmie won is irrelevant since those wins occurred after they were already out.

Let me try to explain the format as best i can...16 drivers start the 10 race chase, after every 3rd race the bottom 4 in points are eliminated & any chase driver winning one of the 3 races moves on automaticly & although Jr. & Jimmie both won races it was after they were already eliminated.

Now on to Newman...the reason Newman is still in it is because as Frey said, he was the most consistent & even though Nascar has put the emphasis on winning & it is a big deal, at least one driver was going to advance from the last round to the final round based on scoring the most points because there was at best 3 automatic spots in the final 4 by winning but 4 drivers advance thus leaving a spot for somebody on points.

I know it can be confusing but that is the reason those with wins aren't in it, because they did not win until it was too late & newman was consistent enough to advance & yes he can actually win the championship without winning a single race but he played by the same rules everyone else did.

BroncosFanInPA
11-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Instead of trying to explain (and confuse you), I got the following from Jayski. The bolded is mine. I would love it if Newman didn't win at Homestead, but won the championship.

It is a very real possibility & bet the top dogs of nascar would not be too happy, with all they have done to put an emphasis on winning & to end up with a champion without a win all year.

It just goes to show that consistency still matters, it always was what the sport was about & even with all the changes & the chase & everything...consistency is still a big part of things.

Freyaka
11-10-2014, 05:58 PM
https://twitter.com/nascarcasm/status/531804009792032768?s=09ttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2F nascarcasm%2Fstatus%2F531804009792032768%3Fs%3D09

What happened on the final lap.

Southstander
11-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Dale used aero before most drivers knew what it was.
Legend says Dale could see the air.

BTW Southie, did you hear that Johnson won a trophy with a red race car ?

I didn't hear that.

Petty was the first to find "the grove" on tracks. This is way they are the top two drivers of all time.

Jaws
11-10-2014, 11:47 PM
I need to find some time to tune in to ESPN. I'm so out of the loop. I don't even know whose in the final four!

Peanut
11-11-2014, 12:55 AM
I need to find some time to tune in to ESPN. I'm so out of the loop. I don't even know whose in the final four!

Hamlin, Logano, Harvick and Newman.

I'm pretty sure those are the 4. The mean me wants Newman to win for reasons mentioned above. The nice me wants Joey. Or Hamlin. Okay. Anyone except Harvick. :D

Jaws
11-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Hamlin, Logano, Harvick and Newman.

I'm pretty sure those are the 4. The mean me wants Newman to win for reasons mentioned above. The nice me wants Joey. Or Hamlin. Okay. Anyone except Harvick. :D

Oh good, Joey made it. I'll be rooting for him! I like Hamlin too.

ELWAY421
11-11-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm pulling for Harvick......

DenverBlood
11-12-2014, 10:58 AM
So I completely understand what was posted in response to my post. But I'm not sure I like it one bit. All this emphasis on winning and it may flop in the very first season.

While I do appreciate consistency I think there is a simple solution to this problem which I realize will never see the light of day. It's simple enough. You don't win a race during the season then you don't qualify for the chase. That's how you put an emphasis on winning. I know 16 drivers don't win a race all season but I believe at least 10 did. To me that's a large enough field to go with.

I know this isn't the first time someone has come close to winning the championship on consistency without winning. Jr. has been at #2 entering the chase before without a regular season win. But I just don't like the concept of calling someone a winner that never actually won anything. I think that put's too much emphasis on consistency.

I'm sure you all that follow much closer than I do are opposed to all I'm saying. I just find it hard to back a guy like Newman who didn't win a race all season.

It's just funny to me that the new emphasis is on winning but yet if this was still last years Chase rules, Jr. and Johnson would both be ahead of Newman and still very much alive.

ELWAY421
11-12-2014, 11:11 AM
I couldn't agree more DB. Maybe because JR is my favorite driver, lol. I don't think Newman has any business in the final four either. I wish NASCAR would just go back to the old format of points with maybe more emphasis on winning. Dale Sr was my favorite driver & once he passed I've pulled for JR, I'd just like to see JR win one championship before he retires & this year he was real close. Had NASCAR kept a simular format to what it had last year he may have won it this year.

DenverBlood
11-12-2014, 11:26 AM
I couldn't agree more DB. Maybe because JR is my favorite driver, lol. I don't think Newman has any business in the final four either. I wish NASCAR would just go back to the old format of points with maybe more emphasis on winning. Dale Sr was my favorite driver & once he passed I've pulled for JR, I'd just like to see JR win one championship before he retires & this year he was real close. Had NASCAR kept a simular format to what it had last year he may have won it this year.

Yeah it's just real frustrating that in JR's career year he is eliminated under some stupid new format that didn't even achieve the purpose it was designed to accomplish.

BroncosFanInPA
11-12-2014, 03:56 PM
So I completely understand what was posted in response to my post. But I'm not sure I like it one bit. All this emphasis on winning and it may flop in the very first season.

While I do appreciate consistency I think there is a simple solution to this problem which I realize will never see the light of day. It's simple enough. You don't win a race during the season then you don't qualify for the chase. That's how you put an emphasis on winning. I know 16 drivers don't win a race all season but I believe at least 10 did. To me that's a large enough field to go with.

I know this isn't the first time someone has come close to winning the championship on consistency without winning. Jr. has been at #2 entering the chase before without a regular season win. But I just don't like the concept of calling someone a winner that never actually won anything. I think that put's too much emphasis on consistency.

I'm sure you all that follow much closer than I do are opposed to all I'm saying. I just find it hard to back a guy like Newman who didn't win a race all season.

It's just funny to me that the new emphasis is on winning but yet if this was still last years Chase rules, Jr. and Johnson would both be ahead of Newman and still very much alive.

What is the point in even saying if it was last years rules?

It's not & it does not matter what the results "would be"...they are what they are & everyone played by the same rules, so stop blaming newman for being in a position to capitalize & win a championship.

But allow me to play along for a moment...Back in 2003 Ryan Newman won 8 races & led the sport in wins but did not win the cup, in fact he was not even close, finishing 6th in points. Meanwhile Matt Kenseth won 1 race & won the championship in the process.

Don't get me wrong i'm not a big newman fan, but come on man, he earned his position just as much as anybody else based on the scoring system & just maybe if he wins it all with no wins this season...perhaps it will be some sort of redemption for the 2003 season & the cup he didn't win when he won a ton of races.

DenverBlood
11-12-2014, 08:56 PM
What is the point in even saying if it was last years rules?

It's not & it does not matter what the results "would be"...they are what they are & everyone played by the same rules, so stop blaming newman for being in a position to capitalize & win a championship.

But allow me to play along for a moment...Back in 2003 Ryan Newman won 8 races & led the sport in wins but did not win the cup, in fact he was not even close, finishing 6th in points. Meanwhile Matt Kenseth won 1 race & won the championship in the process.

Don't get me wrong i'm not a big newman fan, but come on man, he earned his position just as much as anybody else based on the scoring system & just maybe if he wins it all with no wins this season...perhaps it will be some sort of redemption for the 2003 season & the cup he didn't win when he won a ton of races.

My point of saying that was the new rules were supposed to put more emphasis on winning.

But the ironic part is that it actually put less emphasis on winning and I was saying last years rules would've rewarded winning more than this years rules.

And I could care less what Newman did 11 years ago.

That's like saying the 9-7 Giants Super Bowl season was vindication for losing in 2001 when they were much better. Except in football you actually have to win to advance.

I realize football and any other sport has potential champions that were not so great during the regular season though.

BroncosFanInPA
11-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Here ya go DB :thumb:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/11874708/nascar-ryan-newman-unlikely-champion-chase-finale-homestead

HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- Irony abounds in this year's NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup, and it seems Ryan Newman is at the center of most of it.

Most observers believe NASCAR's creation of the Chase a decade ago was a reaction to Matt Kenseth winning the 2003 Cup series championship with a single race victory. But Newman played a big part, too.

The Indiana native and Purdue engineering school graduate won eight races that year while driving for Penske Racing. He claimed pole position 11 times. He led nearly 1,200 laps, or four times as many as Kenseth did.

Ryan Newman's numbers in the No. 31 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet: zero wins, four top-5s ... and a 1-in-4 shot at the 2014 Sprint Cup championship.
Yet Newman ended what looked on paper like a dominant season a distant sixth in the standings. That, NASCAR evidently concluded, was an injustice, and the Chase was duly introduced in 2004, initially with 10 drivers.

Conspiracy theorists will try to convince you that the changes made to the Chase format over the years -- first to 12 drivers, then 13, then this year to 16, with a trio of three-race elimination rounds -- were made to end the championship domination of Jimmie Johnson and the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports team.

And as it happens, six-time Cup Series champion Johnson is not one of the four drivers who will compete for the Sprint Cup title this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway (Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, ESPN and WatchESPN), despite putting together a championship-worthy 2014 campaign with four wins and 1,310 laps led.

Newman, however, did make the final four, despite leading just 41 laps all season and notching only four top-5 finishes.

If Newman prevails in the championship Sunday -- the Cup champion will be the top finisher in the race among Newman, Joey Logano, Kevin Harvick and Denny Hamlin -- he will tie or break a record for the fewest top-5 finishes by the champion. Red Byron had five in 1949 -- out of six starts.

So there's your irony. After being hurt by the point system in place in 2003, Newman has been the biggest beneficiary of the rethink that resulted in Chase version 4.0.

The guy who lost a championship despite winning a lot of races is potentially NASCAR's first winless champion.

You could say it's a case of lesson learned, because Newman is unrepentant about being in the position he's in.

"I don't really pay any attention to it," he said. "I'm not really so worried about what somebody thinks of me, and if I'm a 'sleeper' or an 'underdog' or the odd man out, or whatever you want to call me. I'm having fun and that's what it's supposed to be about.

"We're just doing our job," he added. "We've kept ourselves in the hunt. We're doing our job and having fun doing it. I don't let the emotions side of it carry any real weight."

Maybe it's not surprising that an engineering major is taking a calculated, numbers-based approach toward this year's elimination-style Chase.

The elimination format was supposed to favor winning, but the final four ended up having two drivers (Newman and Hamlin, who has one win) who got there by good old-fashioned points racing.

"The mathematics have definitely worked in our favor," Newman said. "It's not the typical equation that you have where performance is equal to a championship run. Our consistency has been our strength, and our consistency has been not in the top three. Our consistency has been basically fifth to 11th more often than not, and it's been very difficult to lead laps for us.

"But in the end, the championship trophy doesn't have the number of wins under it. We've got victories -- maybe just not in the 2014 season."

NASCAR CEO Brian France is certainly not worried about the prospect of Newman winning the championship.

"We would like that," France said. "The best team will win on Sunday. There has always has been the possibility that someone could win the championship without winning an event. I think it's great that we have three drivers competing that won races and one that didn't. I do think whoever comes out as champion on Sunday has to think about winning the race.

"It's all about the balance," he added. "We don't want a system that ignores consistency. The question is do we have the right balance and I would say unmistakably we do. Ryan is the underdog at this point, but they kind of like that, so we'll see how it plays out."

Whether or not he wins the championship, Newman's move to Richard Childress Racing this year has been a success. That's another twist to the 2014 NASCAR storyline -- what was pretty much a straight driver swap between Childress and Stewart-Haas Racing, with SHR hiring Harvick to take Newman's place and Newman sliding into Harvick's old spot at RCR.

It may look like SHR got the better end of the deal, because Harvick has often been the driver to beat in 2014, amassing four wins and leading a series-best 2,083 laps.

But Newman and RCR have the same chance of winning the championship as Harvick and SHR on Sunday.

"We have not been a dominant car by any means, if you look at our laps led and top-5s, but we've been a consistent car and guys have gotten better," Newman said. "When I say 'guys,' I mean me included because we've matured this year as far as getting to experience more things coming back to the racetracks for the second time and improving on the things that we've learned. Richard has given us the tools that we need. ECR [engine builder Earnhardt-Childress Racing] has given us the tools that we need. We've been very reliable and it's a big part of what's got us to this point.

"We've gotten stronger as the year has gone, without a doubt. But to win the championship will take us continuing to perform and outperform where we have performed."

A victory at Homestead would definitely be timely, and it would certainly minimize the scrutiny and second-guessing that would inevitably accompany a Newman championship.

"You win the race this weekend, you win the championship, if you're one of us four," Newman said. "To me, that's really what it's all about, and that's why, on our side at least, our intent is the same. We've gone into every race with the intention of winning it and leading the most laps and winning the pole and everything else that goes along with it. We just haven't been as successful as some of these other guys.

"It's really a storybook, I guess, in some form or fashion," he added. "But hopefully we can get through Sunday and write our own book."

Peanut
11-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Good read, PA.

When I said the mean me wants Newman to win, it wasn't anything against him. It was a jab at NASCAR. When Harvick and Logano changed teams, they did so much better. I was hoping Newman would do good, too. Winning the Championship would kind of make up for it, wouldn't it? :D

I wonder how long it took France to come up with the "proper" quotes? After pulling his hair out and yelling, "This wasn't suppose to happen!!!"? :D

Harvick seems to be playing mind games with Joey. I hope Joey finishes well ahead of him.

Did anyone see the Truck race last night? Great racing in the last 20 laps. I don't care too much for Crafton, but congrats on back-to-back championships (first time ever in the Truck series). Congrats to Wallace for the win (nice tribute to someone's mom. She died yesterday morning). He had a good year. Congrats to KBM for the Owner's Points Championship.

If you didn't see the race, you have to at least check out the Wallace-Busch nose-to-nose burn-out.

https://brightcove.nascar.com/meta/1677257476001/201411/2201/1677257476001_3892513106001_nascar-ncwts14-hom-vl-wallace-922.jpg

The only video I could find is on Kyle's FB and I can't link it. https://www.facebook.com/KBMteam

It's on the left, under Videos.

roushmartin6
11-15-2014, 01:38 PM
The troll in me wants Newman to win. I really would like to see Joey win, but my brother is a Harvick fan, so it should be interesting tomorrow lol

roushmartin6
11-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Well congrats to Kevin Harvick. Once the Bronco disaster ended I switched over to the race. That finish was crazy and at one point all 4 chase drivers were running 1-4. I thought Harvick gave the race away by taking 4 tires but it ended up being the move of the race along with some ballsy driving by Harvick. Not sure Gordon pitted while leading at the end and basically handed the race away

BroncosFanInPA
11-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Congrats to Kevin Harvick on winning his first cup championship, it was well deserved.

Weather you like him or not, nobody can deny the fact of that team being the most dominate team from the start of the year until the end & he could have had about 10-12 wins but just had things happen that prevented it.

But no doubt about it, that was the best team all season. :clap:

ELWAY421
11-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Congrats to Harvick! Much deserved.

Peanut
11-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Congrats to Harvick and SHR. It was really good to see the friendship Harvick and Tony have. Good to see Tony smile.

I hope the truth (whatever that is) comes out about the Kurt Busch situation.

Peanut
12-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Tony Stewart has undergone a fourth surgery on the leg he broke last year during a sprint car race in Iowa.

Stewart was released from a hospital on Wednesday. He was then headed to Las Vegas to celebrate Stewart-Haas Racing teammate Kevin Harvick's championship.

Stewart spokesman Mike Arning called Monday's surgery in Charlotte, North Carolina, the equivalent of routine maintenance.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-stewart-4th-surgery-leg-181811983--nascar.html

Surgery is the equivalent of routine maintenance? That just sounded odd.

BroncosFanInPA
12-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Brian Vickers has heart surgery...sounds like some serious stuff there, hope he can recover & get back to racing.

Vickers seems like a nice guy & can't seem to catch a break with his health. Best of luck to him.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/12033585/nascar-driver-brian-vickers-undergoes-heart-surgery

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR driver Brian Vickers underwent surgery to repair a hole in his heart for a second time, and the recovery period will cause him to miss the start of the 2015 season.

Vickers said in a statement Monday issued by Michael Waltrip Racing that his previous health issues have given him "a very keen understanding of my body'' that helped him recognize something wasn't right last week. Tests revealed his body was rejecting the artificial patch he received in a 2010 procedure to fix the hole in his heart.

Brian Vickers will miss the start of the 2015 season after undergoing surgery to repair a hole in his heart.
He said he had another "corrective'' surgery Saturday to repair the hole.

"I have faced obstacles before and it has made victory that much sweeter and I know that will be the case again,'' the 31-year-old said. "I will need plenty of time, rest and rehab, but this temporary setback will not stop me from pursuing my dream of becoming a NASCAR Sprint Cup champion.''

MWR did not name a replacement driver for the No. 55 Toyota, or address how long Vickers may be sidelined.

"MWR has plenty to consider and we will confer with our partners, including (sponsor) Aaron's and Toyota,'' said MWR co-owner Rob Kauffman. "As this is fresh news, we will adjust our future plans as more information becomes available.''

It's the third major health issue to sideline Vickers since 2010.

Vickers missed the final five races of the 2013 season because he was placed on blood thinners to treat a blood clot in his right calf. He also missed 25 races during the 2010 season when clots were discovered in his legs and lungs.

During his 2010 absence, he underwent a pair of procedures -- one to close a hole in his heart and another to insert a stent into a vein in his left leg. He was private about the heart surgery and only addressed it a month after the procedure.

Vickers is headed into his 12th season in the Cup Series, fourth with MWR. He shared a seat in the No. 55 Toyota with Mark Martin in 2012 and most of 2013, and took it over full-time this season.

A three-time Sprint Cup Series winner, Vickers had nine top-10 finishes this season and was 22nd in the final standings.

In 58 races with MWR, Vickers has one win (New Hampshire, 2013) and won the pole at Talladega last October. He's the 2003 Nationwide champion and was the youngest in series history to do so until Chase Elliott broke Vickers' mark this season.

roushmartin6
12-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Sorry to hear about Brian Vickers, the guy can't catch a break.

Also Sprint is leaving Nascar after the 2015 season. Let the chaos resume

Southstander
12-16-2014, 11:08 PM
I wonder who will take there place?

FL BRONCO
12-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Prayers for BV

AZ Snake Fan
01-13-2015, 06:09 PM

Kurt testifies:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2015/01/13/kurt-busch-ex-girlfriend-assassin-domestic-abuse/21693523/
:eek:

BroncosFanInPA
01-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Wow! An assassin? :O That is some crazy stuff there & she sounds like a real whack job.

roushmartin6
01-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Wow! An assassin? :O That is some crazy stuff there & she sounds like a real whack job.

I'm late to the party but this whole situation should be on a reality TV like Springer or something, its that crazy

Freyaka
01-19-2015, 06:02 AM

But what if it's true? :D

Peanut
01-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Gordon's (http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/jeff-gordon-announces-2015-as-final-full-time-season/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs) final year. It'll be strange not to see him out there.

roushmartin6
01-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Gordon's (http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/jeff-gordon-announces-2015-as-final-full-time-season/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs) final year. It'll be strange not to see him out there.

My friend is a big Jeff Gordon fan and is super bummed. I told him welcome to my world lol. All the great drivers are slowly leaving the sport every year

Freyaka
01-22-2015, 01:26 PM

He's way too young to be retiring...that's odd...

Southstander
01-22-2015, 11:21 PM
I hope #24 goes out a Champion. I am going to miss him as a full time driver.

kingelway7
01-23-2015, 07:32 AM
He's way too young to be retiring...that's odd...

My guess is that his past back issues have flared up again and that he feels he can only deal with it for 1 more full season behind the wheel.

Freyaka
01-23-2015, 11:09 AM
My guess is that his past back issues have flared up again and that he feels he can only deal with it for 1 more full season behind the wheel.

Sounds like he really wants to start racing in other series. I think he's just driven nascar as long as he wants to and now he wants to branch out.

Peanut
01-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Really good article (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-stewart-returns-swagger-not-seen-2-years-222954228--nascar.html) about Tony.

He has a pet pig? :D

BroncosFanInPA
01-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Good read Peanut.

We shall see if his actions back his words, the 14 team was struggling long before tony had the first accident & busted his leg up, so i'm skeptical for now if they can turn things around.

And i have seen pictures of the pig...interesting choice of a pet. :laugh:

Peanut
01-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Good read Peanut.

We shall see if his actions back his words, the 14 team was struggling long before tony had the first accident & busted his leg up, so i'm skeptical for now if they can turn things around.

And i have seen pictures of the pig...interesting choice of a pet. :laugh:

I think he'll do better. Especially if the 4 team helps the 14. They found something last year.

And why am I not surprised that you have seen pictures of the pig? :D

Chase Elliott is in the #24 next year.

AZ Snake Fan
02-03-2015, 04:33 PM

I think he'll do better. Especially if the 4 team helps the 14. They found something last year.

And why am I not surprised that you have seen pictures of the pig? :D

Chase Elliott is in the #24 next year.

Meet Porkchop:
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/1894/RUSbuV.jpg

Tony should take the #4 car (and crew) and put #14 on it lol !!!

Wow, good for Chase ! I'm excited for him !
Bill tried to get Ford to back up his son but they turned him down.
Glad Jr and Mr. Hendrick took him in.
Going to be a wild Nationwide or whatever they're going to call it.
Hope Jeff and Chase both have a great year. Can you imagine how excited Chase must be ?
I like entering this season after Jeff's retirement announcement without any speculation about the #24 !

Chase is getting the #24 ride period !
Done deal, no rumors.

(I do wonder if Chase will bring NAPA back with him in 2016 ? hmmm...:D )
Thanks Peanut for the heads up ! :thumb:

Peanut
02-14-2015, 04:42 PM

Meet Porkchop:
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/1894/RUSbuV.jpg

Tony should take the #4 car (and crew) and put #14 on it lol !!!

Wow, good for Chase ! I'm excited for him !
Bill tried to get Ford to back up his son but they turned him down.
Glad Jr and Mr. Hendrick took him in.
Going to be a wild Nationwide or whatever they're going to call it.
Hope Jeff and Chase both have a great year. Can you imagine how excited Chase must be ?
I like entering this season after Jeff's retirement announcement without any speculation about the #24 !

Chase is getting the #24 ride period !
Done deal, no rumors.

(I do wonder if Chase will bring NAPA back with him in 2016 ? hmmm...:D )
Thanks Peanut for the heads up ! :thumb:

Cute!

This should be interesting. They just showed how some of it is going to work.

Highlights of NASCAR's changes on pit road in 2015:
" Number of officials on pit road during race reduced from 43 to 10.
" 45 HD cameras will be mounted on the grandstand side of each track and directed toward pit road to monitor pit stops and officials call or clear penalties.
" Every camera looks at two pit stalls and the cameras record 100 percent of the race.
" Video feeds from cameras are fed to a production truck in the TV compound where eight NASCAR officials monitor stops for violations.
" Pit road speeding penalties will still be called from race control based on scoring loops.
" Pit stalls are laser measured
" Missing Lug Nuts are no longer a penalty.
" Fueling can start once car is stopped.
" Fueling can continue until car leaves pit stall.(2-14-2015)

BroncosFanInPA
02-14-2015, 08:28 PM
well that was a fun start to the season..a near fight in a non points pre-season event...i predict a record amount of fights & confrontations this year.

i think we are in store for a hell of a ride this year!

AZ Snake Fan
02-15-2015, 12:20 PM

well that was a fun start to the season..a near fight in a non points pre-season event...i predict a record amount of fights & confrontations this year.

i think we are in store for a hell of a ride this year!

Lots of fun. Your Tony had a good showing, you should be smiling. :D

Less horsepower this year to help the Toyos lol. :P
Big Carl looks funny in one. His car was leaning left and sparking up the track lol.
Those spoilers sure looked skimpy; bet the air is way different this year again.
They will learn the new air as they go.

Yeppers PA, I'm excited too. This is going to get us through to the next Bronco season !
Right now is the Front Row Quals.
I'm going to have to get home from work this Thursday in time to watch the Duels !!!

roushmartin6
02-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Knockout qualifying for the Daytona 500 is stupid. A bunch of cars got wrecked, qualifying for a qualifying race. Knockout qualifying doesn't work for plate tracks, yet they brought it to the 500 even though the old format worked fine.

AZ Snake Fan
02-16-2015, 12:11 PM

Knockout qualifying for the Daytona 500 is stupid. A bunch of cars got wrecked, qualifying for a qualifying race. Knockout qualifying doesn't work for plate tracks, yet they brought it to the 500 even though the old format worked fine.

Roger that !
Quals were a ridiculous circus lol ! :D

Peanut
02-16-2015, 01:58 PM

Roger that !
Quals were a ridiculous circus lol ! :D

It's the same format that they used at 'Dega last year, except shortened qual times.

It worked so well then I can see why they brought it to Daytona.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

BroncosFanInPA
02-16-2015, 04:01 PM
yeah it's a bad format for daytona & talladega. not sure if they will change anything or not but it just looks so stupid but here's a thought...

just do away with qualifying on the plate tracks, because in all honesty we all know starting position is absolutely meaningless in those races. just do a random draw & save everyone the grief.

AZ Snake Fan
02-18-2015, 03:41 PM

yeah it's a bad format for daytona & talladega. not sure if they will change anything or not but it just looks so stupid but here's a thought...

just do away with qualifying on the plate tracks, because in all honesty we all know starting position is absolutely meaningless in those races. just do a random draw & save everyone the grief.

NASCAR fixes Daytona group qualifying rules
http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2015/2/18/8063211/daytona-500-2015-nascar-group-qualifying-rules

"Fixes" ? :confused:
I like your idea better PA !

BroncosFanInPA
02-18-2015, 07:45 PM

NASCAR fixes Daytona group qualifying rules
http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2015/2/18/8063211/daytona-500-2015-nascar-group-qualifying-rules

"Fixes" ? :confused:
I like your idea better PA !

Though still stupid, that sounds slightly better than what it was...2:30 is not much time & won't allow for any sitting around or else they won't even get a timed lap in.

Obviously nobody likes it including the drivers, so i wonder what nascar would do if they all just sat there til the clock expired & nobody records a time ha ha! :laugh:

roushmartin6
02-20-2015, 12:58 AM
The duels were pretty good, I was happy to see David Ragan race in after giving his points to his new teammate it almost blew up in their face. Also I see Denny Hamlin still can't drive a plate track without wrecking half the field. Hopefully the 500 will be a competitive one and not follow the leader

roushmartin6
02-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Reports: Kurt Busch suspended by NASCAR: #41-Kurt Busch has been suspended indefinitely, according to ESPN's Marty Smith and multiple reports. Earlier Friday it was ruled that Busch smashed his ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll's head against his motor home wall Sept. 26 at Dover International Speedway, according to the conclusions of a Kent County (Del.) family court commissioner who granted Driscoll's request for a protective order Monday. Busch was scheduled to race Sunday at Daytona International Speedway, where he was slated to start 24th in the Daytona 500, the sport's biggest event.(ESPN)
see more about the findings at ESPN: Court: Kurt Busch smashed ex's head and Delaware News Journal: Busch likely committed an act of abuse, judge says.(2-20-2015)

Wow don't know what to say, I bet lawyers get involved in this

BroncosFanInPA
02-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Heard the news a little bit ago & was like wow!

I'll just say this...i would hope the truth comes out either way & i would hope he did not do what he is accused of but if kurt really did those things, then he deserves to be suspended but more importantly charged with whatever the law is for the crime because it's a serious situation.

There is absolutely no place for domestic abuse in any walk of life, this isn't about nascar or football (ray rice & others) but this is an issue across the board of life in general & needs dealt with swiftly.

Peanut
02-21-2015, 12:53 AM
I don't like Kurt Busch. And, of course, I'm very much against domestic violence. But...

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2015/02/20/busch-likely-committed-act-abuse-judge-says/23761315/

"A Kent County Family Court Commissioner said it is more likely than not that NASCAR's Kurt Busch committed an act of abuse last September."

Really?

"Busch's attorneys filed a motion Thursday to re-open the protection order hearing. They claim that multiple witnesses have come forward since the hearing's conclusion and provided information that contradicts versions of the events, and asked Jones to delay his opinion until ruling on his motion.

In a letter to attorneys, Jones did not discount that motion and wrote he decided to publish the opinion, as scheduled, because his reasoning may offer some clarity regarding the motion to reopen."

I'm not very confident in this Jones person.

If Busch did what he's accused of, yes, he deserves what he's getting and more. But, "he probably did it"?

Also, in the beginning, Driscoll said she went to a near by bus. I wonder if that person has said anything?

roushmartin6
02-21-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't like Kurt Busch. And, of course, I'm very much against domestic violence. But...

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2015/02/20/busch-likely-committed-act-abuse-judge-says/23761315/

"A Kent County Family Court Commissioner said it is more likely than not that NASCAR's Kurt Busch committed an act of abuse last September."

Really?

"Busch's attorneys filed a motion Thursday to re-open the protection order hearing. They claim that multiple witnesses have come forward since the hearing's conclusion and provided information that contradicts versions of the events, and asked Jones to delay his opinion until ruling on his motion.

In a letter to attorneys, Jones did not discount that motion and wrote he decided to publish the opinion, as scheduled, because his reasoning may offer some clarity regarding the motion to reopen."

I'm not very confident in this Jones person.

If Busch did what he's accused of, yes, he deserves what he's getting and more. But, "he probably did it"?

Also, in the beginning, Driscoll said she went to a near by bus. I wonder if that person has said anything?

I agree, i'm not a Kurt Busch fan, and domestic violence is seriously wrong, but just how the NFL dragged their feet with Ray Rice, I think Nascar has jumped the gun with Kurt Busch. He hasn't even been proven guilty yet, just a restraining order was issued. And he likely committed an act? Where is the proof? This suspension, if warranted, should have waited till after a guilty, or not guilty verdict was reached. Kurt's appeal is being heard today but he still won't race in the 500 if its lifted. Either way I see this getting ugly with him and Nascar

Peanut
02-21-2015, 01:14 PM
I agree, i'm not a Kurt Busch fan, and domestic violence is seriously wrong, but just how the NFL dragged their feet with Ray Rice, I think Nascar has jumped the gun with Kurt Busch. He hasn't even been proven guilty yet, just a restraining order was issued. And he likely committed an act? Where is the proof? This suspension, if warranted, should have waited till after a guilty, or not guilty verdict was reached. Kurt's appeal is being heard today but he still won't race in the 500 if its lifted. Either way I see this getting ugly with him and Nascar

I agree. Two extremes.

They've taken all of Kurt's merchandize out of the official store.

Again, reputation is playing a big part in this. He's a "known hot head" so he must be guilty. Who has not lost their temper, ever? Even laid back "I'm so cool, I don't need to get mad" Johnson has had his moments. (Sorry Jimmie fans :D ).

Oh, and in your other comment about Hamlin and Patrick? I disagree. :D

BroncosFanInPA
02-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Hope Kyle is ok & doesn't have any significant injury, that was a very hard hit into a wall that doesn't have safer barriers.

Tough week on the busch brothers & we may not see either of them race in the 500.