PDA

View Full Version : Raiders in Peril!- Kiffin

GreasyQtip
08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
OH this should make everyones day!

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232282?nclick_check=1

NAPA — Cornerback John Bowie hasn't practiced for almost three weeks. Wide receiver Arman Shields has missed more practice time than he has participated in. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall is practicing with an injured right hand.

Too often in practice, players are dropping passes, missing tackles, jumping offsides and doing things that make Raiders coach Lane Kiffin ponder, What if?

What if he had free rein to cut players he deemed unworthy of being on the 80-man roster? What if he had the latitude to bring in a steady stream of players as a means of pushing those already here? What if he wasn't compelled to watch the same mistakes almost on a daily basis?

"There's not very much competition on this field," Kiffin said after a lackluster practice Sunday. "Some guys have been released at other places, and people are picking them up. You'd like to pick up some of those guys and bring them in, because they've been in other camps, and push some of our guys.

"Unfortunately, there are some guys right now on our roster that are borderline guys that, as of today, would make it just because we don't have anybody else."

This isn't the first time Kiffin has bemoaned the fact that Raiders managing general partner Al Davis is slow, or at least hesitant, to address issues that Kiffin deems glaring and unacceptable.

Davis was unavailable for comment. However, Kiffin made it clear that this isn't his call.

"No, I'm not,"
Advertisement
Kiffin said, when asked if he is averse to making roster moves.

That puts it all on Davis.

"You've got to be willing to release people," Kiffin said. "When guys are in the training room, they're not out here practicing; you've got to be willing to release them and live with it, and pick other people up for more competition."

It's a battle Kiffin's predecessors have fought, too, with little success. Yet, unlike coaches of years past, Kiffin isn't content to accept what he deems detrimental to his fielding the best team possible.

Walker on notice

Receiver Javon Walker didn't do much to distinguish himself in practice Sunday. This came one day after Kiffin criticized Walker for his poor play in Oakland's first two exhibition games.

Walker's disappointing play prompted a pre-practice meeting between Kiffin and Walker.

In short, Kiffin said, it's time for Walker to validate Oakland's decision to hand him a long-term contract that guarantees him $16 million. That means in Saturday night's exhibition game against the Arizona Cardinals.

"Yeah, I hope so," Kiffin said, when asked if he expected Walker to perform well Saturday. "I spoke with him (Sunday) morning about that, about this is a big game for him, even though it's a preseason game.

"It's Week 3, and he'll play more than he's played in the first two — and in the fourth game we don't play our starters hardly at all — so, it's a big week for him."

Walker wasn't the only receiver who struggled Friday night against the Tennessee Titans or in practice Sunday. Ronald Curry dropped two passes Sunday on one series.

"Yeah, some of the same old stuff," Kiffin said. "Inconsistency. Drops. We've got a long ways to go at that position. We need to get it figured out. We need to start playing better there so that we can have a complete offense."

Kickers sidelined

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski (hamstring) and punter Shane Lechler (quadriceps) missed practice Sunday and aren't expected to play Saturday, Kiffin said.

As a result, there's a strong possibility that Lechler and Janikowski will get some token action in Oakland's exhibition finale against the Seattle Seahawks on Aug. 29 so that they don't enter the regular season without having kicked in a game for a month.

"If they can't go, we're not going to push them to go and risk (their) getting injured more," Kiffin said of the fourth game. "If they're healthy to go, I would (consider) kicking them in that fourth game because they (won't have) kicked in the third game."

Janikowski and Lechler sat out the Titans game after sustaining injuries at training camp last week. Glenn Pakulak filled in for Janikowski and Aaron Elling for Lechler against the Titans.

-This news is fantastic, Lane Kiffin hates the raiders as much as Shanny and he hasnt even officially been fired yet. Javon Walker even gets personally slammed and with everyone talking about our loss of Rod, Al, and John, I cant help but be happy we also lost Walker, Henry, and Sauerpuss. I can't wait for week 1 against these clowns.

I also just saw them breaking this down on ESPN and it seemed like the analyst wanted to laugh or feel bad for them.

Bronco-24
08-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey, I tried the link but it didn't work. Do you have another link you could send me?

draco193
08-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Links not working for me.

Flatlander Fan
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
yeah, linky no worky :confused:

GreasyQtip
08-19-2008, 10:16 AM
The link worked for me but when i save it it saves it as a different link

http://www.
contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232282?nclick_check=1

Thats the whole link for me

draco193
08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Can you post the article?

GreasyQtip
08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Can you post the article?

Done don't know why link isn't working

lilsstinkr
08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
is this it? LINK (http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232241?nclick_check=1)

Bronco-24
08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
The link worked for me but when i save it it saves it as a different link

http://www.
contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232282?nclick_check=1

Thats the whole link for me

Why don't you just post the article as a quote. It would probably be easier.

muse
08-19-2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232282

It'd be great if he got fired and then we picked him up as Assistant Head Coach :laugh: that said, Davis may have a heart attack if that happens.

Flatlander Fan
I think this is what qtip is talking about:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232282?nclick_check=1

Print E-mail Font Resize
Coach Kiffin has no power to upgrade Raiders roster
By Steve Corkran
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched: 08/17/2008 07:03:24 PM PDT

Too often in practice, players are dropping passes, missing tackles, jumping offsides and doing things that make Raiders coach Lane Kiffin ponder, What if?

What if he had free rein to cut players he deemed unworthy of being on the 80-man roster? What if he had the latitude to bring in a steady stream of players as a means of pushing those already here? What if he wasn't compelled to watch the same mistakes almost on a daily basis?

"There's not very much competition on this field," Kiffin said after a lackluster practice Sunday. "Some guys have been released at other places, and people are picking them up. You'd like to pick up some of those guys and bring them in, because they've been in other camps, and push some of our guys.

"Unfortunately, there are some guys right now on our roster that are borderline guys that, as of today, would make it just because we don't have anybody else."

This isn't the first time Kiffin has bemoaned the fact that Raiders managing general partner Al Davis is slow, or at least hesitant, to address issues that Kiffin deems glaring and unacceptable.

Davis was unavailable for comment. However, Kiffin made it clear that this isn't his call.

"No, I'm not,"

Kiffin said, when asked if he is averse to making roster moves.

That puts it all on Davis.

"You've got to be willing to release people," Kiffin said. "When guys are in the training room, they're not out here practicing; you've got to be willing to release them and live with it, and pick other people up for more competition."

It's a battle Kiffin's predecessors have fought, too, with little success. Yet, unlike coaches of years past, Kiffin isn't content to accept what he deems detrimental to his fielding the best team possible.

Walker on notice

Receiver Javon Walker didn't do much to distinguish himself in practice Sunday. This came one day after Kiffin criticized Walker for his poor play in Oakland's first two exhibition games.

Walker's disappointing play prompted a pre-practice meeting between Kiffin and Walker.

In short, Kiffin said, it's time for Walker to validate Oakland's decision to hand him a long-term contract that guarantees him $16 million. That means in Saturday night's exhibition game against the Arizona Cardinals.

"Yeah, I hope so," Kiffin said, when asked if he expected Walker to perform well Saturday. "I spoke with him (Sunday) morning about that, about this is a big game for him, even though it's a preseason game.

"It's Week 3, and he'll play more than he's played in the first two — and in the fourth game we don't play our starters hardly at all — so, it's a big week for him."

Walker wasn't the only receiver who struggled Friday night against the Tennessee Titans or in practice Sunday. Ronald Curry dropped two passes Sunday on one series.

"Yeah, some of the same old stuff," Kiffin said. "Inconsistency. Drops. We've got a long ways to go at that position. We need to get it figured out. We need to start playing better there so that we can have a complete offense."

Kickers sidelined

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski (hamstring) and punter Shane Lechler (quadriceps) missed practice Sunday and aren't expected to play Saturday, Kiffin said.

As a result, there's a strong possibility that Lechler and Janikowski will get some token action in Oakland's exhibition finale against the Seattle Seahawks on Aug. 29 so that they don't enter the regular season without having kicked in a game for a month.

"If they can't go, we're not going to push them to go and risk (their) getting injured more," Kiffin said of the fourth game. "If they're healthy to go, I would (consider) kicking them in that fourth game because they (won't have) kicked in the third game."

Janikowski and Lechler sat out the Titans game after sustaining injuries at training camp last week. Glenn Pakulak filled in for Janikowski and Aaron Elling for Lechler against the Titans.

Extra points

Shields (knee), tight end Tony Stewart (toe), Bowie (knee), and safeties Hiram Eugene (back) and Michael Huff (ankle) missed all or most of practice. Tight end Darrell Strong (shoulder), Hall (hand) and safety Tyvon Branch (thumb) returned to practice. ... Jake Grove worked with the first-team offense Sunday. He has a "small lead" over John Wade in the battle for the starting center spot, Kiffin said. ... The Raiders are off today. They will resume practice Tuesday.

— Steve Corkran

GreasyQtip
is this it? LINK (http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232241?nclick_check=1)

No but thats another good one with a few of the same quotes. Im betting articles like this will be popping up the next few days and hopfully itll only get worse.

Giveemlove
08-19-2008, 10:29 AM
This will be Shanny, Gruden all over again. Al brings them in because he figures they are young, he can tell them what to do and when it fails he can blame it on them. Then he fires them, they go to other teams and find success. I think Kiffin has a good future ahead of him in the NFL, it'll just start once he gets the hell out of Oakland.

Long live Al Davis. :cheers:

-Rod-
08-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Al Davis and Lane Kiffin are getting along nicely. :goofy:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22865702/

lilsstinkr
08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
No but thats another good one with a few of the same quotes. Im betting articles like this will be popping up the next few days and hopfully itll only get worse.

I tryed. I am guessing it pritty much said the same thing. I will read the other in a second.

the best part of that one was the "IF the Raiders start to Loose":laugh:

LordTrychon
08-19-2008, 10:34 AM
The argument FOR WHY you want your Coach in charge of personnel...

GreasyQtip
08-19-2008, 10:44 AM

This Article is great!:D

-Rod-
08-19-2008, 10:58 AM
But seriously, when Brick Top is no more with the Raiders, they will have a better chance of stop feeding on top 5 draft picks.

ARF
08-19-2008, 11:19 AM
This seems like a indian rain dance. 3 and half more weeks ladies. :coffee:

BroncoSexyDaddy
08-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Kiffins is trying to get fired,how about a paid vacation Kiffin :D

Ravage!!!
08-19-2008, 04:36 PM
-This news is fantastic, Lane Kiffin hates the raiders as much as Shanny and he hasnt even officially been fired yet.

I also just saw them breaking this down on ESPN and it seemed like the analyst wanted to laugh or feel bad for them.

:laugh: thats a funny quote.... you gotta LOVE dem raida's!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Ravage!!!
08-19-2008, 04:37 PM

heh... yeah.. someone bookmark this artical and keep for further (and MANY) complaints about Shanahan later on down the road :laugh:

DiegoBRONCOFAN
08-19-2008, 04:43 PM
So I take it that there won't be any more text messaging from Kiffin to Walker about being ready for our Monday night game hugh. :cheers:

VenomousDB
08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Maybe Kiffin will throw his first few games to get himself fired :rockon:

garzjoe
08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
This will be Shanny, Gruden all over again. Al brings them in because he figures they are young, he can tell them what to do and when it fails he can blame it on them. Then he fires them, they go to other teams and find success. I think Kiffin has a good future ahead of him in the NFL, it'll just start once he gets the hell out of Oakland.

Long live Al Davis. :cheers:

I agree 100%...Kiffin is actually a good coach. These days Broncos fans are hoping Al Davis stays in control forever and completely hinders any progress that organization tries to make.

Thx,
Joe

Hardcore Bronco Babe
08-19-2008, 06:05 PM
This just goes as further proof that Al Davis isn't playing with a full deck. Davis is the one that talked Javon Walker out of retiring and yet Javon is lackluster at practice. Kiffin made his own bed when he signed on as head coach of the Raiders so he just has to deal with it or until the ax falls and Kiffin is out of a job.

rainmaker
08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Long live Al Davis. :cheers: Amen to that LOL

antipas
08-19-2008, 06:31 PM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232282

It'd be great if he got fired and then we picked him up as Assistant Head Coach :laugh: that said, Davis may have a heart attack if that happens.

:laugh:That would be ironic!:salute:

antipas
08-19-2008, 06:37 PM

Is this in reference to Shanahan!?:P

antipas
08-19-2008, 06:43 PM

Maby he's finding out what it's like to work for big Al, seeing all the other coaches he has fired throughout raider history!:salute:

combo-breaker
08-19-2008, 06:46 PM
But seriously, when Brick Top is no more with the Raiders, they will have a better chance of stop feeding on top 5 draft picks.

Brick Top!!!!! I haven't laughed that hard in a while!!!
Don't trust a raiders owner with a pig farm.

Mile_High_Kiwi
08-19-2008, 07:26 PM
You know, I really feel sorry for Lane. He seems like a good coach and a good guy and he deserves better than the Raiders.

They really are the scum of the earth.

Peerless
08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
:laugh:

I feel sorry for any persons associated with the Oakland Raiders franchise.... except Mr. Al Davis.

Starbroncs
08-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Kiffin is always saying negative things about the team. Usually coaches always talk about how good everyone looks and how well everything is going even if they suck. Maybe he just hates oakland. :D

garzjoe
08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Kiffin is always saying negative things about the team. Usually coaches always talk about how good everyone looks and how well everything is going even if they suck. Maybe he just hates oakland. :D

I think he is pi$$ed off because like all the coaches before him he has absolutely no say in his personnel. Davis makes the majority of the decisions and Lane has to live with it.

Thx,
Joe

mojo0730
08-21-2008, 08:59 PM

I don't think you should put your coach in charge of personnel akin to a General Manager.

However, you should allow a coach to bench/not play players as he sees fit, and he should have a part in who is brought in and let go.

Many teams have coaches that don't have total say in who is brought in or let go, and do just fine, because the front office is organized and everyone is on the same page. Oakland is just in total dysfunciton - has been for years. The only great coach they've had there who did wonders with that team was Gruden, and Davis traded him.

mojo0730
08-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Actually, I think Kiffin wants to be fired. He just refuses to allow Davis to force his resignation, as he tried doing in the offseason.

mojo0730
08-21-2008, 09:05 PM

Well, when your boss comes to you with a letter of resignation he wants you to sign in the offseason, you'd probably hate it to.

*BTW, that wasn't meant to be snarky towards you. But I have no doubt Kiffin hates it in Oakland. He just refuses to let Davis push him around.

Starbroncs
08-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, when your boss comes to you with a letter of resignation he wants you to sign in the offseason, you'd probably hate it to.

*BTW, that wasn't meant to be snarky towards you. But I have no doubt Kiffin hates it in Oakland. He just refuses to let Davis push him around.

Its all good :D

I feel bad for Kiffin, I really like him as a coach but I feel bad hes stuck with such a crappy team and situation. :sad:

SLVR and Black
08-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Kiffin is not shy about publicly calling out his players or Davis, it's pretty much why Davis asked for his resignation (Kiffin wanted Rob Ryan gone as D-Coordinator). If the Raiders do well this year, I think he'll be given latitude. If they suck, Kiffin will be one of the hottest commodities on the coaching market during the off season.

LordTrychon
08-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't think you should put your coach in charge of personnel akin to a General Manager.

However, you should allow a coach to bench/not play players as he sees fit, and he should have a part in who is brought in and let go.

Many teams have coaches that don't have total say in who is brought in or let go, and do just fine, because the front office is organized and everyone is on the same page. Oakland is just in total dysfunciton - has been for years. The only great coach they've had there who did wonders with that team was Gruden, and Davis traded him.

I think advantages to both sides of the coin.

We just don't get to discuss the other side often on this forum.

The answer is somewhere in the middle perhaps... but the middle is so much harder to reach than one of the two ends.

SLVR and Black
08-21-2008, 11:06 PM
The only great coach they've had there who did wonders with that team was Gruden, and Davis traded him.
The last two year that he was in Oakland, we all wanted him gone -- his play calling was much too conservative and he never let the offense do what it was designed to do. When he won the Superbowl with TB, many of TB's players claimed that it was Dungy who was responsible for getting them there. Check out how Chuckie's done since then. Hardly the mark of a great coach.

AWT
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM

Now I want to watch every Faiders game so I get to see the meltdown live...

PA BRONCO 420
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Kiffin is not shy about publicly calling out his players or Davis, it's pretty much why Davis asked for his resignation (Kiffin wanted Rob Ryan gone as D-Coordinator). If the Raiders do well this year, I think he'll be given latitude. If they suck, Kiffin will be one of the hottest commodities on the coaching market during the off season.

i can feel that coaching market heating up already. by the end of week 1 the market will be boiling.

Morningplastic
08-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Throw the games? Not the mighty Raiders,they never lose.

Bronks Fan
08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
The last two year that he was in Oakland, we all wanted him gone -- his play calling was much too conservative and he never let the offense do what it was designed to do. When he won the Superbowl with TB, many of TB's players claimed that it was Dungy who was responsible for getting them there. Check out how Chuckie's done since then. Hardly the mark of a great coach.

The best part of that SB was that he was beating you guys. If Dungy was so great, why didn't he get Tampa to the SB himself? It took him a long time, and Peyton Manning to get to a SB. Gruden isn't a bad coach - Oakland is a badly managed team from top to bottom.

antipas
08-23-2008, 09:03 PM
You know, I really feel sorry for Lane. He seems like a good coach and a good guy and he deserves better than the Raiders.

They really are the scum of the earth.

Al Davis makes it that way! Which gives us laughing ammounition!:laugh:

antipas
08-23-2008, 09:05 PM

When your talking about Oakland, can you really say anything positive!:rolleyes:

antipas
08-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I think he is pi$$ed off because like all the coaches before him he has absolutely no say in his personnel. Davis makes the majority of the decisions and Lane has to live with it.

Thx,
Joe

That's one of the reasons I believe Oakland will never be a great team!:coffee:

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
08-24-2008, 04:00 PM
man the raiders lost two players to injury last night.

drew carter and their full back oneal are out for the year.

DevilSpawn
08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
man the raiders lost two players to injury last night.

drew carter and their full back oneal are out for the year.
Drew Carter for the year. O'Neal may be longer.

O’Neal’s injury, Kiffin said, was serious enough to be considered career-threatening, saying, “It was as bad as it can get” and adding it was fortunate TV cameras didn’t pick it up. Kiffin said the injury went beyond a simple ACL tear and had other problems.
Justin Griffith is a solid fullback as well. Drew Carter from what I heard was the inspiration for Samuel Jackson's character Mr. Glass in the movie Unbreakable.

Between Osi, Merriman, Rivers, Gates and these two along with countless others, the Superbowl Champion might very well be the one with the shortest medical report.

Javalon
08-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Drew Carter for the year. O'Neal may be longer.

Justin Griffith is a solid fullback as well. Drew Carter from what I heard was the inspiration for Samuel Jackson's character Mr. Glass in the movie Unbreakable.

Between Osi, Merriman, Rivers, Gates and these two along with countless others, the Superbowl Champion might very well be the one with the shortest medical report.

Man, I can't stand the Raiders but I certainly hate to see their guys going down like that. Especially for O'Neal if his career is indeed over. :(