PDA

View Full Version : What do you think.....Shawn Merriman

japfaff
08-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I am just curious about what you guy think about the Shawn Merriman situation?

Me personally I think the guy is a damn idiot. I am also shocked that the Chargers would even consider letting this guy on the field... Four Drs. told him that his knee needed surgery, and if not taken care of could end his career. I kinda see him wanting to play, he is young and he thinks that he is indestructable..... But *** is the Charger front office doing. I would have expected them to say sit your ass down, shut the hell up, and then IR him.

So what do you all think? Is this season worth the chance of ruining one of the best pass rushers career?

stnzed
08-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I think he's an idiot, but to be honest, I thought he was an idiot before this.

I kinda respect his decision, though......

15thebeast
08-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I think he is just dumb there is no point risking your carrer and your health for maybe a few games when if he took the surgery he could play for alot longer

muse
08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
In the end it's his life. He obviously knows the risks associated with this. Whilst having the desire to play is great, playing in such a state is bad for yourself and for the team...you can't play at 100% and mistakes start creeping in. Not only that, but if there is a serious injury (which he's running a high risk of) you're basically back to square one except you nicked a roster spot from somebody else who may have been something.

That said I do admire John Engleberger for what he did last season (played all season with a separated shoulder) - it didn't vastly affect his game but he wasn't as effective as he would have been normally. I guess it's difficult from a players' perspective where you draw the line. Especially as Merriman's age, there's probably still the residual feeling of adolescent invincibility...

troylightfoot
08-28-2008, 04:44 PM
i think he whatever happens to him he deserves. if all four doctors say that he needs surgery and that he is risking his career by playing... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what to do. if and probably when he gets hurt this year and his career is done NO ONE should feel bad for this idiot.

qnpd
08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Either he's got a screw loose, or sought a fifth opinion from this doctor:

http://lh4.google.com/dix123br/RrK-d2dqBlI/AAAAAAAAAbg/_YNCrURItbs/s144/Dr%2520Riviera.jpg

At his age, the answer seems obvious to shut it down for a year so he can continue to have a long career. Putting his future at risk for what seems like an inevitably bad decision kind of makes me scratch his head. He's quoted in saying that he feels he can play and he'll get the surgery when he needs it.

"I'll have the surgery at any point," he said. "Nobody knows. I kind of left it on the table when to have it. Not even doctors can tell me that." (espn.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3556123))

Well hello, Mr. Merrian, four doctors told you it's time to have surgery. So I think that means you need it now.

But hey, I hear Dr. Nick is pretty persuasive.

http://www.ttthings.com/images/uploads/dear_client_nick.jpg

Csimonma
08-29-2008, 01:20 AM
He knows that this might be the last season the Chargers have a chance to dominate the AFC West and go to the Superbowl, because, if its not this year, the Broncos will be back at the top after this season, so he wants to lay it all on the line!

Nah seriously just take the surgery sheesh!