PDA

View Full Version : Lelie full circle / Cut by 49ers (Merged)

jhildebrand
08-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Well Lelie did not want to come in here and compete. Now he has been released from the 49ers :laugh:. There WR's arent that great. Now maybe he can go join his head case friend, Javon, in Sucktown.

Peerless
08-30-2008, 01:16 PM
A very nice deep threat that got too large of a head....

It's sad really. I would have loved Lelie to stay with us, and stretch that field.

jhildebrand
08-30-2008, 01:17 PM

It's sad really. I would have loved Lelie to stay with us, and stretch that field.

He could be back...you never know. He still has his house here.

Peerless
08-30-2008, 01:17 PM

Highly unlikely......

He didn't agree with the coaches, and basically forced his way out of Denver. Kinda like Javon....

jhildebrand
08-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Highly unlikely......

He didn't agree with the coaches, and basically forced his way out of Denver. Kinda like Javon....

Youre right. Once you rub Shanny the wrong way you are goners for good! I can't think of one person who left like that to return. Atwater but it wasn't after a bunch of drama.

Double_L
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Eh I can see a WR-starved team picking him up relatively quickly, I'm going to guess Cincy. He could light it up there!

Peerless
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Youre right. Once you rub Shanny the wrong way you are goners for good! I can't think of one person who left like that to return. Atwater but it wasn't after a bunch of drama.

Atwater left for the Jets, and retired as a Jet.. Unless I'm wrong? :confused:

The only other person I can think of is Shannon Sharpe... except Sharpe didn't really leave on bad terms.

PatrickdaDookie
08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Might as well resign Kennison as well.

Bronco_Armada
08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
He'll end up in Chicago.

jhildebrand
08-30-2008, 01:25 PM

The only other person I can think of is Shannon Sharpe... except Sharpe didn't really leave on bad terms.

He did the ceremonial one day contract to retire a Bronco.

Peerless
08-30-2008, 01:26 PM
He did the ceremonial one day contract to retire a Bronco.

:laugh:

Well that's a little different then coming back and actually playing.

jhildebrand
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
:laugh:

Well that's a little different then coming back and actually playing.

I am trying to remember if he came back for camp and just didnt cut it. I will look it up. I remember him "coming back." Who knows, my memory is shot since the birth of my son 16 months ago. It was almost photographic and now it is horrorgraphic :laugh:

Hoserman117
08-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I see him going to Minnesota, Chicago, or New England. If he goes to New England, he'll have a 122 catch, 1350 yard season with 33 touchdowns though....

That just seems to happen xD

LordTrychon
08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I am trying to remember if he came back for camp and just didnt cut it. I will look it up. I remember him "coming back." Who knows, my memory is shot since the birth of my son 16 months ago. It was almost photographic and now it is horrorgraphic :laugh:

No... it was ceremonial. :salute:

pipes
08-30-2008, 01:37 PM

Tyrone Braxton left and came back.
As did Keith Traylor, Shannon Sharpe, Todd Sauerbrun, tried hard to get Gus Frerotte to sign again, Ian Gold

ebsoria
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Yep. He could have been a very good field stretcher. Now look at the depths he has sunk to. Can't even cut it in SF.

Javalon
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM

I think pride, by both sides, would probably prevent that.

Plus, if he can't stick with the crappy 49ers then something must be wrong with him. Hmm...

Starbroncs
08-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I think pride, by both sides, would probably prevent that.

Plus, if he can't stick with the crappy 49ers then something must be wrong with him. Hmm...

well technically we already picked someone up who couldnt stick with the crappy 49ers. :smug:

ebsoria
08-30-2008, 01:44 PM
well technically we already picked someone up who couldnt stick with the crappy 49ers. :smug:

WHoa there. Stay on topic. We're discussing Lelie... :coffee:

The Dark Knight
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah, not suprising to me.

I've always thought Lelie was a joke.

He's a one trick pony, and that one trick, really isn't that good either.

Hoserman117
08-30-2008, 02:00 PM
He wasn't really that bad guys.... 3100 yards in 4 seasons isn't bad. I we'd all be extremely happy if Royal had those kinds of numbers.

muse
08-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Lelie did alright here but he never lived up to his billing. His fear of going across the middle really limited his effectiveness. Whilst he did put up pretty big numbers, remember that the '04 season had massively inflated passing yards across the board and the emphasis on DB contact gave Lelie a lot more room to play with.

Breezer
08-30-2008, 02:21 PM

WRONG!!!! Atwater retired as a Bronco! After the Jets he signed a one-day ceremonial contract with the Broncos before announcing his retirement from football. "This is the way I wanted to go out," Atwater said "I bleed orange and will always bleed orange and blue."

Gurada
08-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Ceremonial Contract? I thought Shannon played two more years in Denver before retiring?

The Dark Knight
08-30-2008, 02:25 PM
He wasn't really that bad guys.... 3100 yards in 4 seasons isn't bad. I we'd all be extremely happy if Royal had those kinds of numbers.

He only got the numbers he got because Shanny was smart enough to use his limited abilites to their fullest.

A deep threat on a run team should do a lot better.

Sequence
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
AL burned way too many bridges named "Shanahan" to ever consider coming back, unlike all the other players mentioned like Sharpe, Gold, etc. Besides, we dont need him, quite frankly. :rolleyes:

Breezer
08-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I wonder what he thinks now?

Sequence
08-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I wonder what he thinks now?

I need a job?

pipes
08-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I need a job?

:clap: Nice, very funny! :laugh:

Cutler2007
08-30-2008, 03:03 PM
CB Deltha O'Neal is now available too...we should just go out and recollect all of our former 1st rounders.

berlownacyo7s
08-30-2008, 03:04 PM
The front office already wasted money on a blown out WR who's supposed to be a deep threat. *cough* Keary Colbert *cough*

pipes
08-30-2008, 03:05 PM
CB Deltha O'Neal is now available too...we should just go out and recollect all of our former 1st rounders.

Pretty sure that Denver could easily get Marcus Nash back.

Peerless
08-30-2008, 03:06 PM
The front office already wasted money on a blown out WR who's supposed to be a deep threat. *cough* Keary Colbert *cough*

Colbert a deep threat? Since when.

He's always been a possesion receiver.. that's why they drafted him to replace Muhammed and start opposite of the deep threat Steve Smith.

WildHorse
08-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Cutler2007

That'd be a good way to pad our draft choice success for a brief while.

:D :D :D

jhildebrand
08-30-2008, 05:59 PM

I think he broke his neck this season ?

shannhanfan77
08-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Shannon Sharpe did come back after he left Baltmore and played for us another one or two years than he was going to stay and play another year and he got all the way through training camp I believe and someone offered him a sports news job ? or something like that and he decided it was time to retire so he could accept the job, so he retired as a bronco.

08-30-2008, 10:15 PM
So Ashley, you just aren't very good after all, huh?

Steve Atwater did one year in New York, then did one of those one-day contracts to retire as a Bronco. It was Shannon Sharpe who betrayed us and then saw the error of his ways and was forgiven by Shanny. Two Bronco legends. Ashley Lelie was and is a nobody, so forget it.

-Rod-
08-30-2008, 11:30 PM
When you watch the highlights of Lelie you can see he had talent to become a solid WR for us. But he simply ruined his career and today he is a nobody.

SarahKay14
08-31-2008, 06:03 AM
Ashley who? HAHA

tat2matt
08-31-2008, 06:14 AM
Eh I can see a WR-starved team picking him up relatively quickly, I'm going to guess Cincy. He could light it up there!

I don't think he has the required number of arrests to be picked up by Cincy.

stnzed
08-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Really? I'd say being able to burn people downfield and/or make acrobatic catches over the top of them is one hell of a trick.

There's a place for him in Tennessee, if nowhere else.

Agreed, ya can't blame people for not liking Lelie, but those that don't he was a deep threat that made some great catches are mistaken......

Cutler2007
08-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Agreed, ya can't blame people for not liking Lelie, but those that don't he was a deep threat that made some great catches are mistaken......

Lelie had one hell of a year for us in 2004. On top of the 1084 yards he was a league leader in drawing PI calls.

There is nothing wrong with his skills, he just didn't want to work hard enough and resented anyone that asked him to work harder.

Since he left he has had Vick and Alex Smith as a QB...not the best way to accumulate stats.

stnzed
08-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Lelie had one hell of a year for us in 2004. On top of the 1084 yards he was a league leader in drawing PI calls.

There is nothing wrong with his skills, he just didn't want to work hard enough and resented anyone that asked him to work harder.

Since he left he has had Vick and Alex Smith as a QB...not the best way to accumulate stats.

I got to be honest, I want to see him play with Jay Cutler......

muse
08-31-2008, 04:37 PM

True, but 2004 had inflated passing numbers all over the league. For a guy with Lelie's speed, the enforcement of DB contact penalties played squarely into his hands. It quickly became less emphasised and subsequently Lelie's production tailed off a little.

Remember Indy had 3 1,000 yard receivers that year. It was craaaaazy.

Cutler2007
08-31-2008, 04:40 PM
I got to be honest, I want to see him play with Jay Cutler......

That will be a dirty little secret we can share :D

#13Yung Kartoon
08-31-2008, 04:46 PM
That will be a dirty little secret we can share :D

The only problem I see is would he be good enough to move up through our ranks, possibly #3 or #4 maybe.:confused:

Cutler2007
08-31-2008, 04:53 PM
The only problem I see is would he be good enough to move up through our ranks, possibly #3 or #4 maybe.:confused:

I would have him purely as the #5 deep threat. The question is has he learned to be a team player and strive to do his best in that role?

roushmartin6
08-31-2008, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing him back just because he can't be worse than Colbert, but it won't happen, he burned 9 bridges leaving Denver, shame too, he could have been big.

#13Yung Kartoon
08-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I would have him purely as the #5 deep threat. The question is has he learned to be a team player and strive to do his best in that role?

Yea, that's what I forgot to ask :laugh:. Do you think Lelie will be content for a #5 role, I do guess it has to be better than nothing I guess but IMO if he performs well enough to make it past #5 we should let him.

Cutler2007
08-31-2008, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing him back just because he can't be worse than Colbert, but it won't happen, he burned 9 bridges leaving Denver, shame too, he could have been big.

Agree...just thinking of that speed with Cutler's arm.

TheComeBackKid
08-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey you guys remember when Ashley Lelie was upset because he couldn't be Denver's number 1..........must suck to be cut from the worst team in the NFL. Cannot believe we took that ravage in the first round.

Peerless
08-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey you guys remember when Ashley Lelie was upset because he couldn't be Denver's number 1..........must suck to be cut from the worst team in the NFL. Cannot believe we took that ravage in the first round.

I thought he was a legit draft pick. He got better each and every year....

His head just got to big for his neck to support.

TheJackal
08-31-2008, 07:19 PM
He led the league in YPC in '05. Funny how he was good here then after he left he sucked it up.

maddenking27
08-31-2008, 07:32 PM
i wouldent mind seeing cutler pass a couple to ashley i think he will end up with the bears or the vikings and as much as i was saying i would want chad jackson here i think he is going to end up in dallas

jhildebrand
08-31-2008, 07:58 PM
He led the league in YPC in '05. Funny how he was good here then after he left he sucked it up.

Shanny gets the most out of the players he has. He is referred to as the best in that way. It is just too bad some of these idiots don't figure that out.

sbutk
08-31-2008, 08:07 PM

I do believe you're wrong, yes. What allegiance would he have to the Jets. I think he signed like a one-day contract with us so he could retire in orange and blue.

:huh:

sbutk
08-31-2008, 08:14 PM
When you watch the highlights of Lelie you can see he had talent to become a solid WR for us. But he simply ruined his career and today he is a nobody.

I think that's it, really. For most of you, it's just sour grapes, and that makes it easier for you to bad-mouth him . Did Lelie's play not contribute to this team? The main problem, IMHO, was his attitude.

How many people wouldn't want him to still be on the Broncos, if he had the character of, say, a Rod Smith?

:huh:

Broncofool90
08-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Jacksonville should pick him up they need wrs bad.

#13Yung Kartoon
08-31-2008, 11:29 PM
What if our slot guy goes down or something of the sort, I think Lelie could possibly do OK if he apologized or something. All that speed should be good for something, why not a slot receiver or something. Just tossing out idea's of course, it couldn't really hurt to pick him up..

pipes
09-01-2008, 09:22 AM
What if our slot guy goes down or something of the sort, I think Lelie could possibly do OK if he apologized or something. All that speed should be good for something, why not a slot receiver or something. Just tossing out idea's of course, it couldn't really hurt to pick him up..

Ashley Lelie - slot receiver = worst idea ever!

Slot receivers go over the middle and Ashley Lelie doesn't go over the middle.

antipas
09-01-2008, 09:32 AM

He could have been very good with us! It's a shame really! Wonder what will become of him now!:rolleyes:

antipas
09-01-2008, 09:35 AM

Yeah, him and "Ocho Cinco" should get along just fine!:coffee:

antipas
09-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Well, I think if we give Royal a chance, he may turn out better than Lelie!;)

antipas
09-01-2008, 09:50 AM
:clap: Nice, very funny! :laugh:

He could collect unemployment! Maby get something from that union of thiers!:coffee:

antipas
09-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Shoot, he's probably ready to retire, llike Lynch!

antipas
09-01-2008, 09:55 AM

WOOHOO!:coffee:

antipas
09-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Would he do special teams?!:confused:

#13Yung Kartoon
09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Two points, whoever was talking about Deltha he just signed with the Pats, their on an old Bronco roll:D
Also, Lelie at some point will have to suck it up and get his ass in the middle of the field if he ever wants to be successful, but as a special tems player, thats an interesting idea, maybe if he was a 5th receiver and got his playing time on special teams he wouldn't b**** about it.:D

dman444
09-01-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjY1mLj2lc

Cutler=3sprbwls
09-01-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjY1mLj2lc

I'm not saying that I want Lelie back cause I think chemistry is more important than talent sometimes and this year the Broncos look like they finally have the chemistry they've been lacking, but watching those clips can you imagine how many of those long bombs would have gone for TD's if Cutler had been throwing to him?