PDA

View Full Version : Brady out for the season (now official) (Merged)

The Hamburgler
09-07-2008, 04:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlFqz.5tgR7WmOYI9Q7QPkhDubYF?slug=ms-bradyoutforyear090708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is expected to miss the rest of the 2008 season with what two sources described as a severe injury to his left knee, suffered in the first quarter of the Pats’ 17-10 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs at Gillette Stadium Sunday.

While New England coach Bill Belichick said in his postgame press conference that he had no update on the status of Brady’s injury, a source close to the quarterback indicated it involved serious damage to the knee. That could include a torn anterior cruciate ligament and perhaps other ligament and cartilage damage.

“It’s bad,” a team source said. “We’re going to have to play without him.”

Brady was hurt as he stepped up in the pocket to make a throw to wideout Randy Moss. Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, who was on the ground, lunged forward and struck Brady’s leg, which buckled as he released the ball.

Brady was helped off the field and was later led down a staircase by team officials, presumably to undergo tests.

Fourth-year quarterback Matt Cassel, who had thrown just 39 passes in his career before Sunday, replaced Brady and completed 13 of 18 passes for 152 yards and a touchdown. Cassel, who backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC, hasn’t been a starting quarterback since high school. He won a competition with Matt Gutierrez during the preseason to retain the job as Brady’s primary backup.

Ravage!!!
09-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I guess I'll soon be able to add Belicheck's stats to the "Before and After" great QB stat. I guess this brings back my poll!

MJCOSTEL
09-07-2008, 04:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqzhfOlQJZ7MlFBkEI3T.FU5nYcB?slug=ms-bradyoutforyear090708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Buzz Up Print

Tom Brady has his leg buckled by Kansas City Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, bottom, during the first quarter.
(AP Photo/Winslow Townson)
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is expected to miss the rest of the 2008 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, according to a source familiar with the injury.

While New England coach Bill Belichick said in his postgame press conference that he had no update on the status of Brady’s injury, two sources indicated it involved serious damage to the knee.

“It’s bad,” a team source said. “We’re going to have to play without him.”

Brady was hurt as he stepped up in the pocket to make a throw to wideout Randy Moss. Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, who was on the ground, lunged forward and struck Brady’s leg, which buckled as he released the ball.

Brady was helped off the field and was later led down a staircase by team officials, presumably to undergo tests.

Fourth-year quarterback Matt Cassel, who had thrown just 39 passes in his career before Sunday, replaced Brady and completed 13 of 18 passes for 152 yards and a touchdown. Cassel, who backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC, hasn’t been a starting quarterback since high school. He won a competition with Matt Gutierrez during the preseason to retain the job as Brady’s primary backup.

Tough luck for the Pats if its true. Hate them but wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Apoc13
09-07-2008, 04:45 PM
i hate to see this happen to any player but since i live in massachusetts it does make me smirk a tad

Apoc13
09-07-2008, 04:57 PM
WEEI: Brady has torn ACL

WEEI’s Ron Borges is reporting that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady suffered a torn ACL today, citing an NFL source close to the situation. If true, Brady is likely done for the season.

weei, is the largest new england sports radio station

Apoc13
09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
http://blog.masslive.com/sports_impact/2008/09/large_tombradyleginjury.jpg

thehighlander
09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
watch out

another Bil-a-cheat smoke screen

BroncoKazuki
09-07-2008, 05:08 PM
aww well, guess the patsie fans will have a liable excuse for them to suck this year and the rest of the fanbase cant stick it to Bill-a-cheat not having his handy camera guys to tape his opposition.

Well this is also karma from brady he should have turned in Bill-a-cheat when he had the chance instead of riding the cheatin pony to 3 SB wins.

PatrickdaDookie
09-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Christmas comes early!

The AFC is wide open.

PatrickdaDookie
09-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Christmas comes early!

The AFC is wide open.

edit: (And no, I don't feel sorry for anyone who gets to come home to a supermodel girlfriend. Brady will be fine.)

Hoserman117
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ah9fPNqJIXSGxT5wlnDivj45nYcB?slug=ms-bradyoutforyear090708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Damn... this certianly shuffles up the order of AFC contenders.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I think yahoo may be jumping the gun a little. According to every other sports/news source, he won't undergo an MRI to find out what's really wrong until tomorrow. A lot of Chiefs players think he was hurt badly by the look of it, but there's been no official word, yet.

Apoc13
09-07-2008, 05:31 PM
chris simms is out there too

tat2matt
09-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing that if he is out for the season, we won't get official word on that from the Patriots until about week 6.

SDSU#1
09-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Someone needs to put that chiefs player in the witness protection plan. I feel bad about this, but it helps us out I guess.

Xtreme Bronco
09-07-2008, 06:32 PM
As a bronco fan and as a member of the AFC conference, I for one am sick of New England...I mean really sick of them...However..I hate for anybody to get seriously injured but I mean this leaves the conference wide open...the Chargers looked down...the Colts look shaky as of this point in the 2nd qtr....Jacksonville got beat...so who knows...hopefully tom. night we will be 1-0 with the division lead.

UberBroncoMan
09-07-2008, 06:36 PM
What goes around comes around. Tom was well aware of the cheating used to check the defensive play calling etc. He got 3 SB rings and has had a QB's dream utopia to produce well in. I couldn't really care less about him tearing an ACL. The only thing that would make me feel bad is if he had a spinal injury that screwed his real life.

KoleTrickle
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I won't believe it until I see it.

BroncosFan209x
09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I feel sorry for those who took brady with the #1 in fantasy football

stargazer
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I won't believe it until I see it.

Agree.

But, if this is true this is very good news for every other AFC team.

jay who ?
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
i think it would have been more fun beating the patsies with brady . but it'll still be cool knocking off belicheats...."last cassel!":rockon:

stargazer
09-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Much easier to gameplan for the NE now.

Skywalker
09-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I wonder if the Patriots will maybe look into bringing in Culpepper if this is true.

getlynched47
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a95089&template=with-video&confirm=true

Don't know if someone else has posted this...but here ya go

This report also just came out, saying it's a torn ACL
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=122269&id=1163

Peerless
09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Tough to see, but it's a part of the game. Can happen to anyone.

BroncoKazuki
09-07-2008, 07:39 PM
FU dip$h!t!

You're an idiot!

get over it, your gonna lose your golden boy.

If History has proven anything Bill-a-cheat has no loyalty to any QB's If i Remember correctly he shipped off Bletso when he went down during the reg season right after Brady won a SB for them. SO most Likely the same thing will happen when Brady comes back and gets tossed aside for a new QB that will come into your org in a year. I mean Bletso was still good and in his prime but Brady got the Nod and took over, never went back to a backup.

So why are you crying anyway. The guy has millions + a super model girlfriend so why are you crying suck it up. Your not getting your 19-0 Season, your not getting your 16-0 Season.

YOU ARE NOT GOING INTO THE PLAYOFFS!

Get that through your head, your golden boy is good as gone in a year because your Coach has zero loyalty to his Star QB's that get injured.

Skywalker
09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I said this in the other thread but, does anybody think they might look into bringing in Culpepper?

Ravage!!!
09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
you want to know whats REALLY weird??

Talking with my mom and brother on friday night (they are HUGE Chief fans).. I made a comment that I would be rooting for the Chiefs this weekend. They both said "You will NOT!"

I said "Yes I will... I would LOVE to see the Chiefs beat the Patriots. You never know, maybe one of your DL might land on Brady's foot and test that 'crack' in it. Just AIM for the foot!!"

Although I wasn't exactly on, I should buy a lottery ticket.

getlynched47
09-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I said this in the other thread but, does anybody think they might look into bringing in Culpepper?

they're gonna bring in Simms for a workout...and maybe re-sign Matt Guitierrez

getlynched47
09-07-2008, 07:43 PM
you want to know whats REALLY weird??

Talking with my mom and brother on friday night (they are HUGE Chief fans).. I made a comment that I would be rooting for the Chiefs this weekend. They both said "You will NOT!"

I said "Yes I will... I would LOVE to see the Chiefs beat the Patriots. You never know, maybe one of your DL might land on Brady's foot and test that 'crack' in it. Just AIM for the foot!!"

Although I wasn't exactly on, I should buy a lottery ticket.

DO IT RAV!! at least give me $100 once you win the jackpot :salute:

stargazer
09-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Patriots=will miss playoffs

Broncos playoff hopes just increased today and they didn't even play.

Peerless
09-07-2008, 07:44 PM

If he was called up, he would be crazy to not accept a chance to join the Pats.

-Rod-
09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Chris Simms is being targeted by the Pats, Chiefs and Titans. Well, without Tom Brady, the Broncos have a much better chance of beating the Patriots. A game designed to be really tough now turns into a solid win possibility.

BroncoFan1812
09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
That's tough....it will be interesting to see how the Patriots fare now, though I suspect Cassell will be just fine, he does after all have a great supporting cast behind him. While I do not now nor have I ever liked the Pats I would not wish this on anyone, and hope Brady makes a full recovery.

I heard that the Pats have Chris Simms coming to NE for a meeting on Monday so I sort of doubt they are looking at Culpepper at all.

getlynched47
09-07-2008, 07:49 PM
The Super Bowl "Curse" continues....most of the teams that lose in the SuperBowl have a horrible year the following season...I think the only team to make it back to the playoffs the following season after losing in the SuperBowl was Seattle...looks like the trend is gonna continue w/ NE

WyomingFan
09-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Brady out for the year!!!!!

mojo0730
09-07-2008, 09:00 PM
What a freaky way to go out, too. It reminded me of Cutler's leg injury last year - the one they thought might be a fracture.

Speaking of which, 'team sources' stated after that Detroit game (in which Cutler was injured) that his leg was likely fractured and Cutler was done for the year - similar statements that 'team sources' are stating about Tom Brady. Brady hasn't had his MRI yet, so it may not be as serious as these so-called 'team sources' think.

In either case, it's a shame. Brady is a great quarterback, and it's going to hurt the Patriots. Given his injury, and the apparent demising of San Diego and Indianapolis, it appears the AFC is wide open for the taking.

Let's see if the Broncos step up.

Bronco_Hyde
09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't like to see anyone get hurt . . . . but Brady might be an exception . . .

I had a bet with my buddy that we make it to the playoffs and the Pats don't . . . so it's good for me, even if it sucks for him.

Humberg
09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
That's HUGE for them, they aren't the same team without him (he has ice in his veins).

Boy though, with Brady, Croyle, and others going down in week 1, it makes you think nervously about Ramsey's performance in preseason. Now Chris Simms, who was not signed by anyone yet this year, is being courted by three teams in need of QBs. If Cutler goes down, pray he doesn't, but if he does, we would be hosed (and the pickings would be slim).

Bronco_Hyde
09-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Whoa. I hope you got good odds on that one.

Pretty good odds. If I lose I owe him lunch. If he loses, he owes me an Outback Steak dinner.

Lomax
09-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow, lots of envy in this thread. "Millions of dollars, supermodel girlfriend"...sheesh... I guess people just hate the guy because they want to be him.

Being vastly upset in the SB, embarrassingly having to see your own mug laughing about "only scoring 17 points, hahaha", training all postseason to get back, sitting throughout the preseason with a foot injury, then going down in the first game has to be devastating for anyone. I feel sorry for the guy, supermodel girlfriend and all.

You think the guy doesn't feel like crap because he's got a hot girlfriend and makes a ton of money, just because you would be content with that? Geez, you guys need to be a bit more secure with your own lives.

Medford Bronco
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
As much as I HATE NE, my stomach turned when I saw Brady get hit because that could be Jay Cutler, Tony Romo or anyone I really like to watch and this is entertainment, for most of us anyways.

here is to Tom being strong next year. good luck to him :salute:

and btw Matt Cassel still Sucks. :coffee: BB is a arrogant SOb for keeping that stiff, if this siutation ever happened. the J E T S are the fav to win the
East now, how sad is that.

Ohio Broncos
09-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Wow, lots of envy in this thread. "Millions of dollars, supermodel girlfriend"...sheesh... I guess people just hate the guy because they want to be him.

Being vastly upset in the SB, embarrassingly having to see your own mug laughing about "only scoring 17 points, hahaha", training all postseason to get back, sitting throughout the preseason with a foot injury, then going down in the first game has to be devastating for anyone. I feel sorry for the guy, supermodel girlfriend and all.

You think the guy doesn't feel like crap because he's got a hot girlfriend and makes a ton of money, just because you would be content with that? Geez, you guys need to be a bit more secure with your own lives.

I couldn't agree more. There are plenty of players that I can't stand (Brady isn't one of them), but I never EVER hope for any of them to get horribly injured like some of you do.

It's football and it happens, but to take perverse pleasure out of it is sick (and not the good kind of sick). Take a look in the mirror and check yourselves. :rolleyes:

Overtime
09-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Tom Brady is one of the most stand up guys in the NFL. He's very unselfish, he utilizes what he has around him, spreads the ball around, talks good about people, gives props to opposing teams, defenses, and players.

I seem to recall him "offering" the Patriots to restructure his $50 Million Contract several years, so it would free up some cap room, so they could sign other guys and bring in help.

Tom Brady is very humble, very gracious, and very grateful to be in the NFL, if I was a player I'd want to play football with him as my QB.

You can't say that about guys like Jerry Porter, Joey Porter, Jevon Walker, Ashley Lelie, The 9 Players from Cincinatti who have been arrested in the past year, Travis Henry, even our own Brandon Marshall and all the other guys who have done stuff to give the NFL a bad image, and been selfish in wanting big contracts, and who holdout of training camp over money, and basically hurt the team because they put themselves and their priorities first.

Like they say, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Anytime a guy goes down with a season ending injury it's a shame. Hate to see guys doing what they love the most, and then get hurt and have to miss an entire season.

Corndog
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm going to miss the Peyton/Brady games this year. Classics. I'm an NFL junkie, and if you can't beat the teams with their best,then you aren't where you need to be as a team. I was glad to see McNabb back healthy,because Monday's night game with the Cowboys was OUTSTANDING.