PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best QB in NFL History?

badintentions
05-29-2004, 01:55 AM
John Elway all the way!

thehoot79
05-29-2004, 02:09 AM
John Elway no doubt and I don't just say that because I'm a Broncos fan. Montana was good, but he always had all pros around him that made him look better then he was. Marino is the best passer of all time, but he couldn't lead a team to the promiseland to save his life. Elway carried average Bronco teams on his back to the Super Bowl on numerous occasions. John had the intangibles that every coach looks for and 148 wins speaks for itself.

O&B4life
05-29-2004, 03:31 AM
There really should only be 5 names on that list: Elway, Marino, Montana, Unitis and Aikman. But i'll have to agree with the hoot. Although i must say there isnt much separating Montana and Aikman from Elway for #1

The Dark Knight
05-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Elway.

He's the reason I started to like the Broncos back in a day.

JRWIZ
05-29-2004, 08:43 AM
The only reason John does not own most of Marinos records is the style of Offense we played under Reeves. He was throttled, not allowed to paly to his capabilites, had very little supporting cast around him. Had to carry the team on his back.

The most come back wins, as well as all the other records he owns make him the KING.

JED Bronco
05-29-2004, 11:41 AM
John Unitas? Norm VanBrocklin? Sammy Bough? Bart Star? Roger Stabaugh (sp) ?

Make a visit to the HOF in Canton if possible. NFL history is awesome

By the way. In my life time John Elway is the winningest!!!

Jim
05-29-2004, 11:47 AM
--

E

L

W

A

Y

--

Broncos28
05-29-2004, 11:58 AM
John Elway, no freakin' doubt about it Son. In my opinion not only the best Quarterback of all time but the best Football Player of all time. Joe Montana is way overrated. Any great Quarterback would have won a Super Bowl with that team. The difference between John Elway and Joe Montana is that John Elway would have twice as much more Super Bowls with that team that Joe Montana had and that's a fact. John Elway Is The Poster Boy Of The NFL!

Why Is Jim Harbaugh & Jim McMahon Even Mention In The Same Breath As All These Quarterbacks? Come On Man, I Know You Know Better But It's All Love!

Broncosfreak_56
05-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Elway. Not to be biased, because he is my favorite broncos player of all time, but he has the most wins ever by a QB, and 2 rings to go with that. Elway!!!!

Zmabe
05-29-2004, 12:47 PM
elways got my vote.

spikerman
05-29-2004, 12:52 PM
This poll must have been started by a relative of Jim Harbaugh. That's the only possible reason he is on the list. :D

As for Aikman, I think he was a good (not great) quarterback on a great team.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I've always thought Montana was a little overrated. He was tremendously accurate and poised, but most of his passes were 5-15 yards and then his HoF receivers would run 75 yards. No doubt about it though, he was a winner.

I think Dan Marino was the best passer I've ever seen, but if you take into account, mobility, arm strength, composure, and wins... (all of the things that make a QB), John Elway was the best all around QB that I've ever seen. John Madden once said that John Elway was the closest thing to a one-man gang he's ever seen.

2 Minute Warning
05-29-2004, 03:44 PM
ELWAY!! :) I miss him:(

Gbt31
05-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Ok John Elway was Best OVERALL QB, I really actually respect how everyone is giving Dan Marino Props, because he was the best Passer, not overall QB(guy couldnt move worth ****) but amazing passer. As for the Joe Montana thing, I really think Steve Young was a better QB than Joe Montana...just my opinion. However, best overall QB and pure competitor.....The Man...number 7...John Elway.

SixxGunz
05-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Gbt31
Ok John Elway was Best OVERALL QB, I really actually respect how everyone is giving Dan Marino Props, because he was the best Passer, not overall QB(guy couldnt move worth ****) but amazing passer. As for the Joe Montana thing, I really think Steve Young was a better QB than Joe Montana...just my opinion. However, best overall QB and pure competitor.....The Man...number 7...John Elway.

Amen Brotha! You couldn't have said it better!!! JOHN ELWAY is the MAN!!!!

SixxGunz
05-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by JoviBronco
ELWAY!! :) I miss him:(

I miss him too!!!

The Dark Knight
05-30-2004, 06:14 AM
I would like to change my answer to...

Stan Humphries

Not.

StlBroncosFan
05-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Interesting that Elway would have the most votes!! :D

I do however, have to say he IS the best of all time. He did the most with the least over his career.

I would put Montana next.

noregap
05-30-2004, 06:42 AM
As an avid Bronco fan for 35+ years....I loved John Elway. He was great, no question about it. HOWEVER, in my lifetime I would have to rate Johnny U. at the head of the class followed very closley by Bart Starr. THE REASON?????
Those guys had to call all their own plays, no little mics in the helmets, no instant pics of the previous series of what the D was doing, no direct line of conversation to the offensive coodinator.
Just 11 on 11 and the QB had to make the calls.
IMHO.
GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!

The Dark Knight
05-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by noregap
As an avid Bronco fan for 35+ years....I loved John Elway. He was great, no question about it. HOWEVER, in my lifetime I would have to rate Johnny U. at the head of the class followed very closley by Bart Starr. THE REASON?????
Those guys had to call all their own plays, no little mics in the helmets, no instant pics of the previous series of what the D was doing, no direct line of conversation to the offensive coodinator.
IMHO.
GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!

Everything you say is true but you must also realize that todays defense has those same advantages. When the QB's progress, so does the D. Also physically, Bart Starr or Unitas was nothing compared to Elway.

StlBroncosFan
05-30-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by noregap
IMHO.
GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!

I have heard this from several people. We will never know if Johnny or Bart could have made it in todays NFL or if Elway could have made it in their era of the NFL.

But, Elways NFL was a lot more complicated to play in then was theirs. The players today are bigger, stronger and faster. Johnny and Bart were the cream of the crop for their era but not of all time.

JRWIZ
05-30-2004, 07:52 AM
It could also be said if one were to put Starr and Unitas behind 300+lb linemen, what would they have done?

Elways still has my vote!!!

Remember that Elway made the transition from calling his own plays to the helmet mic. At the time was not happy about it either. Did it make him a better player? That is something I'd really like to here from him personally.

But Elway had it all Arm, Size, speed, a linebacker mentality, I beleive the SPY LB was developed for him alone.

King of the comeback, because the team around him was not that good. He had to have big shoulders to carry this team until about 1997. That when he finnally got a supporting cast.

Would Denver have won the first SB with Elway instead of Morton? With the Defense we had and John. I'd have loved to see that game played again!

Perry1977
05-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Golly, another completely negative post that essentially adds nothing to the conversation.

NORTHERN
05-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Elway hands down. :)

Booher
05-30-2004, 02:14 PM
jim mcmahan and jim harbaugh are you kidding me ? why are they even on the list I refuse to vote in these polls beecause I think it's more like a top 10 best qb's no one being better than the other. and neither jim in this poll are included.

StlBroncosFan
05-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by jdslick2
There is no individual QB who can be called the best of all time. There are about 15 who could be argued as the best

Ok jd...you have made a statement here but I don't see where you are backing it up. I am open to hearing your opinions and why you think 15 QBs can be argued as best. Who are they and why?

Just curious to see what you have.

Runner
05-31-2004, 02:55 AM
Bart Starr, John Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, Otto Graham, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Montana, Bobby Layne, Norm Van Brocklin, John Elway, Bob Griese, Sonny Jurgenson, Y.A. Tittle, Dan Fouts and maybe even Steve Young.

Any QB in the Hall of Fame could be argued the greatest of all time as well as anyone.
Personally, if I had to name only one, it would be John Unitas, but I know many would disagree and there are informed football fans who can argue any name in the Hall of Fame.

You left out Sammy Baugh, who many would argue layed the groundwork for the modern passing game and was a great throwing QB in an era when the passing game was something of a weak stepsister to the running game.

Some on that list are system QBS, and Graham, for all his excellence could fall into that catagory, but there can be no doubt that Graham, Unitas, Montana, Van Brocklin, Elway, Tittle & Jugenson, specifically, would've thrived in ANY system, as did Tittle.

IrishBroncofan
05-31-2004, 06:36 AM
Man I have seen some pointless threads in my time but this is definatly the most pointless...John Elway, no question, no contest

RunByDesign
05-31-2004, 06:49 AM
LMFAO@ Jim Harbaugh and Jim McMahon.

Seriously? LMFAO.

The Dark Knight
05-31-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by RunByDesign
LMFAO@ Jim Harbaugh and Jim McMahon.

Seriously? LMFAO.

Jim Harbaugh was a major chode.
Jim McMahon was a little bit of a chode too.

Den21-Bal19
05-31-2004, 07:14 AM
Not really any competition, but Elway hands down. Marino had the numbers, but the offence was designed for him, and couldn't win the Super Bowl. Montana was a great footballer, but with the players he had around him, Rice, Taylor, Craig, Ronnie Lott etc, and the offence he played in it would have been very difficult for the 49ers not to win.
Elway was throttled until Shanahan came back to Denver. It was like 'we'll go by the rules until it turns to $h!t, then dig us out, John'.
And the dude did it, time after time after time. All the while with what at times was an average at best cast around him. Yes, there were genuinely talented players such as Atwater, Meck, Steve Watson & the Amigos around, but the sum never quite equaled the parts.

I goota go against the grain a bit though, I used to have quite a soft spot for McMahon. Probably shouldn't have been in this list, but I used to enjoy watching him play for his grit.

badintentions
05-31-2004, 07:34 AM
Elwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, he is tha reason i liked the broncos because of him!

Paranoid
05-31-2004, 09:18 AM
There is no "hands down" greatest QB ever.
Nope. I would go with one, Id pick Joe Montana. He was just so flawless.

StlBroncosFan
05-31-2004, 09:24 AM
There is no "hands down" greatest QB ever.

I like your choices for candidates jd.

I still am going to be a "homer" I guess and say Elway is the best ever.

There have been many debates on who was but it all comes down to an individuals assessment of what constitutes the greatest.

Mine are: Durability, Toughness, Heart, Intelligence and the ability to win with above average, average and below average talent surounding them. Elway had a knack for finding a way to win the game. He never stopped until the last hike of the football.

Homer or not, Elway is the greatest QB to ever play the game.

Den21-Bal19
05-31-2004, 10:41 AM
I would say that here, most people would call Elway the greatest. Fans of the Steelers would say Bradshaw. Redskins fans will go with Sonny Jurgenson, Colts fans, John Unitas etc.....

Most picks for best QB of all time are in fact "homer" picks.

I'm not necessarily sure that I'd agree that it's 'homer' pick. OK, I can't speak for all the historical players, but certainly in the 20 years I've been following the game, Elway is without doubt the best that I've seen. Admittedly by the time we actually won the two Superbowls Shanahan had assembled a very good team, but without meaning any disrespect to other Broncos players, Elway didn't have the calibre of player around him that the likes of Montana, Aikman & Marino had.
In this respect together with ranking second all time for yardage & winning more games than any other QB & the number of 4th quarter comebacks, IMO, John Elway is the greatest QB of all time.

badintentions
05-31-2004, 08:27 PM
Ladys and Gentleman Children of all ages "The Miracle 4th Quarter Comeback Kid" JOHN ELWAY

Den21-Bal19
06-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Within that same time frame, many will say that Marino, Fouts, Montana or Young were the greatest.
I can't really argue woth Fouts, as I saw very little of him play. I do know though that he played in an offece that maximised his abilitiy, same thing with Marino.
Montana & Young, as well as playing in a very good system, were lucky enough to play with some exceptional players in the likes of Rice, Clark, Taylor, Brent Jones & Roger Craig.
Elway didn't have any of this. Dan Reeves spent most of his time restricting what Elway could do, and although I respect & loved guys like Steve Watson, Sammy Winder & the 3 Amigos, they weren't of the same quality. Elway virtually dragged the team kicking & screaming into those 3 80's SBs.
Think we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one, Slick.

Broncos28
06-01-2004, 03:16 AM
By Paranoid: Nope. I would go with one, Id pick Joe Montana. He was just so flawless.

Yeah, so would John Elway, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, etc. with all that talent all around him.

There's only one QB in the NFL right now who has all the athletic abilities John Elway has and that is Michael Vick. He's the more athletic, faster version of John Elway. Why do you think he wears #7? But the closet player who plays like John Elway is Steve McNair but doesn't have near the talents John Elway did.

frenchfan
06-01-2004, 04:29 AM
John Elway... There was so many great QB. It's hard to choose one, but if I had to do, my answer is Elway. He makes me love Broncos and love football. The first time I saw football in France was in 1986. And seeing John playing was just so great.
I voted for Elway for his career, for his come back capacities, for his way to play heart and guts. He could do everything on the ground. He was just a hero.

Peerless
06-01-2004, 05:59 AM
Of course the King, but if i had to pick otherwise, Id say Joe Montana

ozzy_osbourne
06-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Biased opinion I have, #7 of course...

Den21-Bal19
06-01-2004, 12:53 PM
So that's a bad thing? Aren't coaches supposed to devise schemes which maximize each players abilities? If a coach fails to so so, don't we then call these players underachievers, or go on and on about how good they would have been if only their coach had recognized their abilities?

I never said that it was a bad thing. My point was that those players mentioned, whilst undoubtedly quality footballers, prospered in concert with their coaches. Elway's early success was in spite of, not in concert with, the coaching system & the players around him.
Fouts never made the Superbowl, mostly because the Chargers D stank. Marino only made the one Superbowl, again because the Dolphins D stank, and they could rush through a paper bag. Montana won 4SBs with Rice, Taylor, Clark, Roger Craig, Dwight Clark, Brent Jones & a $h!t load of quality players.
Elway's first 3 SBs, all painful losses, were achieved because he grabbed the team by the bootstraps & dragged them there because he didn't know when to quit. Yes, Shanahan put a good team around him for the two that we won, but prior to that John Elway was this ball club in a way that no other QB has been in my memory.
That attitude, in addition to the numbers he posted through his career make him, IMO the best QB to play the game, certainly in the years I've been following the game.
Feel free to disagree, it doesn't make either of us right.

BroncoZen
06-16-2004, 04:17 AM
John is the man!

BroncoZen
06-16-2004, 04:18 AM
I can't wait to see John go into the H.OF. this year!

Elway4King
06-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Lot of good QB's left off this list. Otto Graham, Staubach, Bradshaw, Baugh. Despite this Elway is the man! He's the winningest, one of only two to throw for 50k, only one to throw for 50K and get a ring. He didn't have a pro bowl lineman around him until Gary Zimmerman came! What Hall of Fame QB can you say that about?

Marino - never got a ring
Montana - flamed out without Rice, Craig, Taylor, Clark, Barton, Rathman, Wallace (God they had a lot of good players)
Graham - seven championships but didn't play that long
Bradshaw - not much bad you can say about him but Elway has better numbers
Staubach - again not much bad here but Elway has better numbers
Namath - one ring and only one SB appearance. Good stats but his aura is bigger than his stats
Baugh - got to love anyone who says Elway is the greatest, so I am gonna agree with him
Farve - closest thing to Elway,buuuuuuuuuuuuut Elway topped him in SB 32
Tarkenton, Fouts, Moon = no rings

Elway all the way!!!!!

Cody

orangenblue420
06-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Jim McMahon......

..............the best QB to ever star in a music video - :D

Elway all the way - homerism at its finest - although he really is one of the best ever - but I do believe Montana, Staubach, Bradshaw, Aikman and Marino among others, are right there - IMO its hard to say one is THE best - same as saying one team is the best of all time - there are too many mitigating circumstances that apply to some that dont apply to others and vice vers

Elway4King
06-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Good God!

Cody

orangenblue420
06-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Elway4King
Good God!

Cody

what????????

Dont just make a statement like taht and not clarify or at least quote something -

Elway4King
06-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Figured it was pretty clear. I know you were joking, just commenting on a statement about Jim Mcmahon.

Cody

Uula Bear
06-25-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by westflbroncostud
joe namath.....sorry but the poll is biased....i love john but he isnt the best

The Poll isn't bias. Elway has every right to be under consideration to be voted the best QB of all time...now being bias on the voting is a diffrent story:D

dandaman23
06-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by ClannZu
Can you say biased?

Biased...:)