PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson must pay millions for name change

sdinner10
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
It'll cost mucho dinero for Chad Ochocinco to switch jerseys

By Chris Chase
Don't expect to see Chad Johnson Ochocinco wearing his new name on a jersey anytime soon. CNBC's Darren Rovell reports on his blog that the former Mr. Johnson would be forced to buy out the stock of the 100,000 remaining "C. Johnson" jerseys before making the switch to "Ochocinco". If Reebok asked Ochocinco to pay for the cost of making the unsold jerseys, the total could reach upwards of $4 million (or $50 million pesos).

Because Johnson changed his name so close to the start of the season, Reebok was left in a bind since they'd have to produce new jerseys and eat the old ones. That's why the NFL has told Johnson he'd have to reimburse the company for the price of the jerseys. That's not unprecedented, rookie linebacker Keith Rivers did it last week when he changed his uniform number. Of course, Rivers didn't have thousands of jerseys with his name on it on sales racks nationwide.

This whole charade, of course, is pretty ridiculous. Johnson is so narcissistic he makes T.O. look like Mother Teresa. And the NFL is so blatant in their attempts to block Johnson from donning his new name on the back of his Bengals jersey that it almost seems beneath them. Sure, it's inane and self-serving and could set a bad precedent, but shouldn't the league be focusing on more important issues, like stopping players from celebrating touchdowns?
here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/It-ll-cost-mucho-dinero-for-Chad-Ochocinco-to-sw;_ylt=Ar1ihRGYfrLZqHYeRc9itVRDubYF?urn=nfl,10660 5) is the link to the story

LordTrychon
09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/It-ll-cost-mucho-dinero-for-Chad-Ochocinco-to-sw;_ylt=Ar1ihRGYfrLZqHYeRc9itVRDubYF?urn=nfl,10660 5) is the link to the story

Hmmm... I think they're inflating their costs if they say it costs $40 a pop to make those jerseys...

Unless they're all authentic and not replicas.

I think it's a decent explanation for why the NFL would block this (although explanation may not be the right word... excuse may be closer).

The answer should be somewhere in between. Reebok already sold their jerseys to retail stores who are always taking the risk that the Jersey's value would fall with injury, trade, etc. You can still get Walker Denver jerseys on the cheap, you know...

GridironChamp
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
This is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard...

I actually dont know how they can do it.

When a player gets traded, ala Jared Allen, they dont have to buy out the rest
of their jerseys for their previous team. If Ocho Cinco has to pay-up for his
jerseys on the shelves, then I think every single player that has jerseys out
there for a team they are not currently on should have to buy them out...

Only fair, but still a stupid idea, IMO.

Flatlander Fan
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM

That is a great point, GC. I wonder if they do that and we just don't hear about it. I, too, think it's ridiculous that players have to do this with name changes or more commonly with number changes. It's a crock.

Of course, this couldn't be happening to a nicer guy this time around. ;)

Javalon
09-10-2008, 02:13 PM

Well, the difference is that players like Allen don't generally have a choice about changing teams. Johnson is doing this on a lark.

Whatever. I don't give a rat's ass about Chad "Ocho Cinco" and if he wants to pay for those jerseys then more power to him. But he should really just drop this farce and try catching some footballs.

GridironChamp
09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, the difference is that players like Allen don't generally have a choice about changing teams. Johnson is doing this on a lark.

Whatever. I don't give a rat's ass about Chad "Ocho Cinco" and if wants to pay for those jerseys then more power to him. But he should really just drop this farce and try catching some footballs.

Well, Allen did ask outta KC so he did have choice in changing teams

What about if Lito Sheppard gets traded? He has been asking for a trade for
months.

I kinda understand what your saying, but if thats the case why doesnt the GM
of either team have to pay for the jerseys? They pick where to send the players
thus causing jersy issue.

Javalon
09-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, Allen did ask outta KC so he did have choice in changing teams

What about if Lito Sheppard gets traded? He has been asking for a trade for
months.

I kinda understand what your saying, but if thats the case why doesnt the GM
of either team have to pay for the jerseys? They pick where to send the players
thus causing jersy issue.

If the team is responsible then the costs are indirectly paid by the league anyway. But again, that's business when Johnson is doing this due to vanity or insanity, maybe both. ;)

y2cragie
09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
He'd only pay it if reebok asked him to. I think they'd make a huge amount on the OC jerseys, I'd like to see them do it in partnership, just to stick it to the NFL who seem hell bent on taking all the fun out of the game.
I'm not a big fan of this situation in particular, but I pretty much lost any sympathy when T.O. was penalised for a sprinters stance.:confused:

Ravage!!!
09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't think they ahve a leg to stand on, and its pretty ridiculous of reebock, imo.

A guy has the right to his name. Its HIS name. Like it ws mentioned, this is NO different than if a player changed teams or was traded... or was even hurt for his career before he played a single down.

What if VY decides he can't play football any more?? Does he have to pay back anything?

22cannon
09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
This is ridiculous!

Teams don't have to buy out reeboks racks when they trade a player.

Reebok is stupid, because they are going to sell SOOOO many of these jerseys they would be stupid not to want to get them to market tomorrow.

Is this guy a ego-maniac...Yes, but I don't care this is entertainment.

I'm all for Chad Ocho-Cinco

LordTrychon
09-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't think they ahve a leg to stand on, and its pretty ridiculous of reebock, imo.

A guy has the right to his name. Its HIS name. Like it ws mentioned, this is NO different than if a player changed teams or was traded... or was even hurt for his career before he played a single down.

What if VY decides he can't play football any more?? Does he have to pay back anything?

Well...

He'd likely pay back a portion of his signing bonus...

:heh:

:laugh:

stnzed
09-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Boooo *PF* hoooo, people! :D

They did the same thing to Jerry Porter, Roy Williams and anybody else that wanted to change their number, but for the league to keep Princess RiverDance from drawing more attention to himself is "Ridiculous"?

I think it's great, but worry not ClownFans, the league, NFLPA and AssHat are working out a deal where JOHNSON can get his way for the 2008 season only.

I guess throwing a temper tantrum works at any age......I'll bet the league told JOHNSON that if he does stop holding his breath they're gonna turn this league around and go home......

Ravage!!!
09-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Well...

He'd likely pay back a portion of his signing bonus...

:heh:

:laugh:

:heh: for sure on that! :D :salute:

GridironChamp
09-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Boooo *PF* hoooo, people! :D

They did the same thing to Jerry Porter, Roy Williams and anybody else that wanted to change their number, but for the league to keep Princess RiverDance from drawing more attention to himself is "Ridiculous"?

I think it's great, but worry not ClownFans, the league, NFLPA and AssHat are working out a deal where JOHNSON can get his way for the 2008 season only.

I guess throwing a temper tantrum works at any age......I'll bet the league told JOHNSON that if he does stop holding his breath they're gonna turn this league around and go home......

Hater much...?

This isnt about how much you hate Ocho Cinco, this is about they have no
right to tell a player that he cant change his own name just because they created
jerseys. If a player that gets traded doesnt have to pay for the rest of his
jerseys, or the teams dont have to pay for it, then they have no right to make
Ocho Cinco pay for his jerseys... Or they dont have the right to make them
pay for a number chane either... but it's still different. He legally changed his
name and the NFL rule is he has to have his legal last name on his jersey. Rebok
should have no say over what he does in such a matter like they are trying to.

A company should not be able to tell a man that he can't change his name.
*Also, by doing this he just gets more attention. If he pays it, once again, everyone
that isnt for the No Fun League see's one of their favorite players sticking it to
the man and if he doesnt pay it, then you see the most outspoken Anti-No Fun
League member being "Put down" by the man. Either way, he is getting more
publicity and no matter how you look at... It all favors Chad Ocho Cinco.

stnzed
09-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Hater much...?

This isnt about how much you hate Ocho Cinco, this is about they have no
right to tell a player that he cant change his own name just because they created
jerseys. If a player that gets traded doesnt have to pay for the rest of his
jerseys, or the teams dont have to pay for it, then they have no right to make
Ocho Cinco pay for his jerseys... Or they dont have the right to make them
pay for a number chane either... but it's still different. He legally changed his
name and the NFL rule is he has to have his legal last name on his jersey. Rebok
should have no say over what he does in such a matter like they are trying to.

A company should not be able to tell a man that he can't change his name.
*Also, by doing this he just gets more attention. If he pays it, once again, everyone
that isnt for the No Fun League see's one of their favorite players sticking it to
the man and if he doesnt pay it, then you see the most outspoken Anti-No Fun
League member being "Put down" by the man. Either way, he is getting more
publicity and no matter how you look at... It all favors Chad Ocho Cinco.

I don't hate JOHNSON, Grid, and the league has every right, it's their league. Reebok has every right to expect their partners to protect their interests from the whims of complete idiots.

Somebody needs a tissue...:sad:...

stnzed
09-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Whether or not the league/Reebok have a leg to stand on means little to me, I just love the fact that they're not just going to let JOHNSON act like a ***** and turn the NFL into a circus without pushing back.

I don't hate anybody, know that, I just think he's a complete/total Me-only player and I would love it if the Bengals would just retire the #85 and tell JOHNSON to pound sand......again......

Ravage!!!
09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't see how a person doesn't have a right to change THEIR name.. when its THEIR name the NFL is marketing and making MILLIONS off of to begin with. Its ridiculous to think that the NFL should feel they OWN your name. Would the NFL be doing this if a player CHOSE to change their name because of religious reasons?? :confused: Whats the difference? None. Its a choice no matter WHAT the reasons behind that choice. Thus I don't think the NFL and Reebok have a shot... and I'm perturbed that they think they do.

Also.. I don't hate anyone.. I don't see Johnson as being a 'me-first' type of player at all.... and like him in the NFL.

:salute:

Overtime
09-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Hmmm... I think they're inflating their costs if they say it costs $40 a pop to make those jerseys...

Unless they're all authentic and not replicas.

I think it's a decent explanation for why the NFL would block this (although explanation may not be the right word... excuse may be closer).

The answer should be somewhere in between. Reebok already sold their jerseys to retail stores who are always taking the risk that the Jersey's value would fall with injury, trade, etc. You can still get Walker Denver jerseys on the cheap, you know...

how is

100,000 jerseys times $40 each inflating their costs?

those names and numbers are custom made for each player. think about the presses that have to be changed, the templates, the workers to change the press, threads, and all of the other stuff you don't think about that goes into manufacturing and mass production.

100,000 * $40.00 = $4,000,000.00

Chad Johnson is only changing his name to get attention and be a showoff. He tried to circumvent the system by changing his name legally, so he could get it on the back of his Jersey when the NFL refused to let him do it. Now that he's legally changed his name, the NFL is still laughing at this moron, because of his stupidity. This Ocho Cinco crap needs to come to a swift, decisive, and abrupt end, and Goodell needs to break his foot off in Johnsons' forthright point of contact and say enough is enough.

Chad Johnson needs to shut up and go play football, or face "conduct detrimental to the league" suspension for creating distractions and controversy to his teammates, and the league.

I bet a suspension would get his undivided attention and he knock these childish immature antics off.

Ravage!!!
09-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Chad Johnson needs to shut up and go play football, or face "conduct detrimental to the league" suspension for creating distractions and controversy to his teammates, and the league.

I bet a suspension would get his undivided attention and he knock these childish immature antics off.

The league can't suspend him for legally changing HIS name. Thats a LEGAL document. If there was a player that converted to muslim, and changed their LEGAL name to Muhammud, would you be crying the same foul? No. You all would be defending the guy because it was a change that YOU approved of.

The point is.. a person has a right to change their name. The NFL doesn't OWN your name... they own the RIGHTs to your name. Now they have the RIGHTs to sell Ocho Cinco jerseys. How much of that is Chad getting??? :confused:

BroncoManiac_69
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM

What would be the grounds or basis of this suspension? :confused:

Overtime
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
What would be the grounds or basis of this suspension? :confused:

did you not read what I posted?

CONDUCT DETRIMENTAL TO THE CINCINATTI BENGALS AND TO THE NFL.

the whole OCHO CINCO thing is such a distraction to his team and to the league. he's more worried about a name on a jersey than he is playing football, and it's evident by this latest charade.

it would fall under the same thing that the Philadelphia Eagles suspended Terrell Owens for a couple years ago.

BroncoManiac_69
09-12-2008, 01:59 PM

the whole OCHO CINCO thing is such a distraction to his team and to the league. he's more worried about a name on a jersey than he is playing football, and it's evident by this latest charade.

it would fall under the same thing that the Philadelphia Eagles suspended Terrell Owens for a couple years ago.

Yes, I read what you posted. :rolleyes:

But your reason for the suspension is not valid as Rav just pointed out.

He isn't your average receiver, I'll give you that but what good would a suspension do anyway? The name will still be there.

GridironChamp
09-12-2008, 02:05 PM

Your making one of the worst arguements ever...

Conduct detrimental to the team? How is he damaging the team or his self? By
not playing well? Well then heck, lets suspend over half the league for sucking.
Maybe he harmed someone? Wait, he didnt hurt a single person.

Most NFl players are more worried about their money than football, so why are
you trying to get them suspended? Also, Ocho Cinco spends the night before
games watching tape and sleeping in the team's film room. That is just a taste
of how little he cares about football. :rolleyes:

Also, the league is also lame to begin with so now you wanna suspend Ocho
Cinco who at least provides some character and interest? You suspend him for
what? 2 games? An equal suspension to Steve Smith who punched a teammate?
Ok, so maybe one game.. .oh wait Brandon Marshall only has one game even
though he had numerous run ins with the LAW. But sure, changing YOUR name
is should be equal to those...

Haters on pathetic.

Overtime
09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Your making one of the worst arguements ever...

Conduct detrimental to the team? How is he damaging the team or his self? By
not playing well? Well then heck, lets suspend over half the league for sucking.
Maybe he harmed someone? Wait, he didnt hurt a single person.

Most NFl players are more worried about their money than football, so why are
you trying to get them suspended? Also, Ocho Cinco spends the night before
games watching tape and sleeping in the team's film room. That is just a taste
of how little he cares about football. :rolleyes:

Also, the league is also lame to begin with so now you wanna suspend Ocho
Cinco who at least provides some character and interest? You suspend him for
what? 2 games? An equal suspension to Steve Smith who punched a teammate?
Ok, so maybe one game.. .oh wait Brandon Marshall only has one game even
though he had numerous run ins with the LAW. But sure, changing YOUR name
is should be equal to those...

Haters on pathetic.

his conduct is detrimental because it includes behavior that is exhibited by Chad Johnson only for the purposes of calling attention to himself, which is not conducive to the operations of the Bengals. The Bengals are there to train, practice, and compete....not be a media venue circus show for Chad Johnson.

T.O. didnt really do anything wrong, when he demanded a contract, and called Donovan McNabb out, but the Eagles said his conduct was causing an interruption to the teams detriment. and they suspended him.

Chad's behavior is on the same guidelines, and he's been fined several times the last few years for ridiculous stunts after touchdowns...and this only adds to the list.

GridironChamp
09-13-2008, 09:37 AM
his conduct is detrimental because it includes behavior that is exhibited by Chad Johnson only for the purposes of calling attention to himself, which is not conducive to the operations of the Bengals. The Bengals are there to train, practice, and compete....not be a media venue circus show for Chad Johnson.

T.O. didnt really do anything wrong, when he demanded a contract, and called Donovan McNabb out, but the Eagles said his conduct was causing an interruption to the teams detriment. and they suspended him.

Chad's behavior is on the same guidelines, and he's been fined several times the last few years for ridiculous stunts after touchdowns...and this only adds to the list.

You have that 100% wrong...

TO was calling out a teamate, that does hurt/damage the team. Chad Ocho
Cinco's name on the back of jersey has NO effect on anyone else. He isnt saying
anyone sucks, he is talking trash, and he isnt bad mouthing his teamates causing
divides in the locker room like TO did. I dont believe TO shoulda been suspended
but according to your theory we need to suspend 70% of the NFL.

Anyone who sucks and doesnt provide for the team = suspend.
Anyone who worries more about money, their family, or their name = suspend
And Anyone who talks to the media at practice or a game = suspend

Did i cover other everything your haterness wanted?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Not that I give a damn about Chad Johnson or Reebok, but I wonder if they tried to pull the same crap with Dominick Williams (formerly Davis) of the Texans. Didn't he change his name right at the beginning of camp before he was eventually cut?

Wait, of course they didn't because Williams (Davis) isn't/wasn't on the league's shiite-list like Ocho Sucko is. Like Chad or not, it's a horrible double standard fueled entirely by money grubbing pieces of crap like Reebok and micro-managing tyrants like Goodell.

BroncoKazuki
09-13-2008, 07:57 PM
all Chad OchoCinco has to do is slap the NFL and Rebok with a lawsuit under "mis repesnetation of name" clause and bam the NFL and Rebok are forced to either pay OchoCinco million on damages which will be a heavy price or to pound sand and let him get his way.

Either way the NFL and Rebok are in the wrong big time and its a really nasty legal issue.

Also the NFL doesnt 'own' the players name, they legally cannot do that, You Allow the league to use your name, all players do that thats why they get a cut of the sales that funnels through the Unions even though its a small amount its still money, the Players have a right under contract that protects them so they are allowed to change, pull or whatever they want with their name.

If anything OchoCinco(johnson) can really threaten the NFL and Rebok with a lawsuit and im really betting that a few lawyers that handle these kind of cases already contacted OchoCinco with the idea of doing so.

As much as I really hate OchoCinco(Johnson) and think he's nothing much more then a premadona jackass. What the NFL has done is legally wrong on may levels and if the NFL does not allow OchoCinco to wear his name soon it just adds more ammo for a slam dunk case in a court.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
all Chad OchoCinco has to do is slap the NFL and Rebok with a lawsuit under "mis repesnetation of name" clause and bam the NFL and Rebok are forced to either pay OchoCinco million on damages which will be a heavy price or to pound sand and let him get his way.

Either way the NFL and Rebok are in the wrong big time and its a really nasty legal issue.

Also the NFL doesnt 'own' the players name, they legally cannot do that, You Allow the league to use your name, all players do that thats why they get a cut of the sales that funnels through the Unions even though its a small amount its still money, the Players have a right under contract that protects them so they are allowed to change, pull or whatever they want with their name.

If anything OchoCinco(johnson) can really threaten the NFL and Rebok with a lawsuit and im really betting that a few lawyers that handle these kind of cases already contacted OchoCinco with the idea of doing so.

As much as I really hate OchoCinco(Johnson) and think he's nothing much more then a premadona jackass. What the NFL has done is legally wrong on may levels and if the NFL does not allow OchoCinco to wear his name soon it just adds more ammo for a slam dunk case in a court.

prima donna ;)