PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young, talked out of suicide??

Peerless
09-12-2008, 07:34 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans called police for help searching for Vince Young because his therapist told coach Jeff Fisher the quarterback mentioned suicide several times before driving away from his home with a gun.

Vince Young

Young
Both Fisher and Young have said what happened Monday night was overblown by the media. But the supplemental report filed Tuesday by Nashville police showed that Fisher was worried what his quarterback might be doing after the call from Young's therapist.

"I asked him, 'What made her worry about him?' " Lt. Andrea Swisher wrote. "He stated, 'His mood, his emotions, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times.' He went on to state that he left the house with a gun."

The Titans declined to comment on details of the report. On Tuesday, the team issued a statement saying police had been called over concern for Young but those concerns were unfounded.

"Last night, we received a call from people that are closest to Vince informing us that he had left his house in a state of mind that had them concerned; and that he was unreachable, having left his cell phone at the house," it said. "Not having all the facts available to us and approaching the matter prudently, we contacted Metro Police to make them aware of the situation and asked for their assistance in locating Vince. He was located at a friend's house, where we made contact with him. He then came to the practice facility where it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident."

ESPN obtained a copy of the report on Friday.

The Titans' head of security notified police around 7:30 p.m. that he had a player "going off," and Fisher was in his truck when he saw Nashville police writing a report on a separate incident.

Young's manager, Mike Mu, told police he had tried to follow Young when the quarterback left his home. But Mu said he couldn't keep up with Young on Interstate 65 despite driving 90 mph.

Fisher connected police with Young's therapist, Sheila Peters, a clinical psychologist who had met with Young earlier Monday. It was then that Young used the word suicide in conversations with her.

During the search for Young, Peters arranged for an evaluation by employees from a psychiatric hospital in Nashville. Then Fisher heard from Young's agent that the quarterback was safe and at an apartment with a female friend.

The agent, Major Adams, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Young had been watching football and eating chicken wings with a male friend during the four hours people were searching for the quarterback.

Police arranged for crisis negotiators and SWAT officers to be on hand. They searched Young for weapons when he arrived at the Titans' headquarters around 11:30 p.m. They only found an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his Mercedes.

Tennessee law allows an individual to possess an unloaded weapon provided there is no ammunition with it in the car.

"He was allowed to talk to his therapist and then he was released," the police report stated.
:eek::eek:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584636

draco193
09-12-2008, 08:29 PM
The guy was just not ready to start in the NFL. A few seasons on the bench would have really helped him out, let him mature, and gt used to the advanced game.

Spyder
09-12-2008, 08:30 PM
This dude needs serious.. SERIOUS help.

Ravage!!!
09-12-2008, 08:38 PM
This has to be old. We've heard this story and just heard VY on ESPN radio having a quote that everyone just over-reacted and he was just out by himself.

Now I'm not saying that's true. I'm saying that it appears that VY and the news have already leap-frogged this report. Vince actually sounded very 'calm' about the situation, and would fool anyone that was willingto just believe his words by the way he was telling the story.

Just seems this article didn't tell us anything different than what has been "alibi'd" and discussed with all involved. Am I missing something? :confused:

Spyder
09-12-2008, 08:47 PM
This has to be old. We've heard this story and just heard VY on ESPN radio having a quote that everyone just over-reacted and he was just out by himself.

Now I'm not saying that's true. I'm saying that it appears that VY and the news have already leap-frogged this report. Vince actually sounded very 'calm' about the situation, and would fool anyone that was willingto just believe his words by the way he was telling the story.

Just seems this article didn't tell us anything different than what has been "alibi'd" and discussed with all involved. Am I missing something? :confused:

Of course he's going to deny it. Why would he come out on national TV ala ESPN and just flat out admit he's been having suicidal thoughts? Especially when his team and fans are already skeptical about his mindset anyway.

His very own mother is worried about the kid, so there is obviously something we, the public, have no knowledge of. Something deep down is bothering this dude and he needs some help.

Ravage!!!
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Of course he's going to deny it. Why would he come out on national TV ala ESPN and just flat out admit he's been having suicidal thoughts? Especially when his team and fans are already skeptical about his mindset anyway.

His very own mother is worried about the kid, so there is obviously something we, the public, have no knowledge of. Something deep down is bothering this dude and he needs some help.

Right right.. thats what I said. Of COURSE he is.. and I dont believe his denial one bit... believe me.

I know his own mother was worried and his friends were worried and his agent was worried. Its not like some strangers were worried here. These were people that cared for him and knew him best. So yes.. i DO believe there is MUCh more to the story than what VY was saying.

I guess my question is... I didn't see anything in the article that was new to the information we have had all week, and that hasn't already been asked, discussed, theorized, and answered by now???

The article says they were able to obtain it the information... but there wasn't anything new. So I was thinking there might be something new that I just didn't catch.

RealBronco
09-12-2008, 09:43 PM
i guess you'd have to be having a breakdown to think you're that horrible after one game and an injury. injuries are going to happen. i mean, he could be in Brady's situation right now.

or Leinhert's... at least Young had a great rookie season.

heck, Matt is sitting on the side-lines watching an old, out-dated QB play better than he is.

Vince is a much better QB than that.

i was reading the article today about how Young said he was just out and that the media blew it out of proportion. who knows. Ravage, i'd say we'd best stick with what you're saying because there's gotta be more to it.

of course he'd say he was just out and about and dealing with his first major injury, etc... but then again, he said that football is his life and he has a committment to Tennessee...

but then again, perhaps feeling like he's failing Tennessee would be a perfect reason for driving around with a hand-gun in your glove box, loaded or not.

Elway=Goat
09-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Its on the front page of ESPN, so im assuming it's a fairly new story.

Anyways, Vince Young is the Vince Carter of football it appears. A fragile minded, mental midget. I am not someone who takes depression or things like that lightly, it is a serious issue. However, he has no business being an NFL QB, especially if being booed by you're home crowd drives you to taking you're own life.

Ravage!!!
09-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Its on the front page of ESPN, so im assuming it's a fairly new story.

Anyways, Vince Young is the Vince Carter of football it appears. A fragile minded, mental midget. I am not someone who takes depression or things like that lightly, it is a serious issue. However, he has no business being an NFL QB, especially if being booed by you're home crowd drives you to taking you're own life.

yeah.. just thought ESPN would have some new info.

But you are right. This kid needs some help and for sure needs to just separate himself from the NFL.

Javalon
09-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Does ESPN not even care that they could be making Young's situation even worse by airing a story like this? He really doesn't need the embarrassment of his therapy sessions going public in addition to everything else.

Man, I really feel sorry for that kid.

Mount-n-Groan
09-12-2008, 11:52 PM
yeah.. just thought ESPN would have some new info.

But you are right. This kid needs some help and for sure needs to just separate himself from the NFL.

I think what's "new" here is the media openly pursuing the suicide aspect. At first, and long after, all we heard was "mental instability" and "with gun" and pc'ed stuff like that, but we all knew what it really meant.

This is also the first time I heard he was "going off" (what's that mean exactly?) and also that he has confessed to suicidal thoughts.

Pretty serious stuff - hope he gets it right.

Nomad Broncofan
09-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Does ESPN not even care that they could be making Young's situation even worse by airing a story like this? He really doesn't need the embarrassment of his therapy sessions going public in addition to everything else.

Man, I really feel sorry for that kid.

His therapist needs his rearend kicked or whoever went public with this. This is a personal issue for Young and the world doesn't need to know. ESPN sucks, because they could have chosen not to air this situation as well. But maybe Young has put so much pressure on himself and he's not NFL material and just cannot except the fact. Regardless ESPN is classless.

Cutmeister6
09-13-2008, 07:07 AM
His therapist needs his rearend kicked or whoever went public with this. This is a personal issue for Young and the world doesn't need to know. ESPN sucks, because they could have chosen not to air this situation as well. But maybe Young has put so much pressure on himself and he's not NFL material and just cannot except the fact. Regardless ESPN is classless.

Once cops are involved and write a report it becomes public record.

saltybuggah
09-13-2008, 07:51 AM
the stories intertwine and separate each day :confused:

obviously we may not know the whole story but from what ive been i'd tend to belive the latest story as the truth... that vince called his therapist that night and was talking about suicide to her... then he left the house and possibly went to his agents house after he collected some thoughts together...

the therapist and jeff fisher had a conversation relating to vince's state of mind and they had to find him asap...

not "new" information but the small pieces that we're left out from before was breaking news... ie the actual conversation between the therapist and fisher... ""I asked him, 'What made her worry about him?' " Lt. Andrea Swisher wrote. "He stated, 'His mood, his emotions, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times.' He went on to state that he left the house with a gun."

this should have been kept confidential but it is public record and it may have been the only way to get the police involved in searching for vince...

im just speculating from what has been said so far... i hope vince takes all teh time he needs to recover from the injury and his mental state of mind :salute:

mojo0730
09-13-2008, 08:38 AM

From my understanding, the therapist reported it to the police, which he/she is under the legal obligation to do once a patient expresses serious thoughts of harming his/herself or others. Once it's reported to the police, it becomes public record.

Spice 1
09-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Hopefully, when he comes back, he doesn't get the Leaf treatment from the fans. VY seems like a good guy, and he needs to put all of this media bs behind him. I hope he has success whenever he gets back.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-13-2008, 11:53 PM
From my understanding, the therapist reported it to the police, which he/she is under the legal obligation to do once a patient expresses serious thoughts of harming his/herself or others. Once it's reported to the police, it becomes public record.

this is absolutely right, i learned about that in law class about patient confidentiality but when someone talks about hurting someone or ones self they (the therapist) is OBLIGATED to disclose this info to police and/or whoever needs to be informed

Tonyshucraft
09-15-2008, 12:30 AM
This isn't about football. The fans of the team should realize that they are not dealing with just some QB who with lots of skills that is struggling. This is a human being. I would really suggest that the team and fans try not to put pressure on the guy. This probably goes back further than we think.

Jake Plummer was one who didn't handle thing well in Denver at the end because of issues opposite to this. He seemed to be more of a person you'd think of as a jerk.

Vince seems to be like a good person. Somebody who would do anything for his team. He just seems to not think about his own life. When the fans talk bad about him, it hurts him because he gives it his all but after awhile it builds and builds. His confidence goes down. I am sure when he believes in himself, those are the games he does fine in but he puts too much on himself.

Personally, If it was the Broncos that had him, and our fans treated him like this and disregarded the fact that he is having issues, I don't think I'd have much respect for some of my fellow Bronco fans.

I just hope they aren't thinking this is anything but very serious. I don't care if you over estimate the situation. Underestimating it could end up with somebody dead. I don't care if that were to be a member of the Raiders or Chargers. It doesn't matter, sometimes being a good football fan is not what you want to be. Sometimes football isn't what should matter. Giving a damn about the person, now that is a good idea.