PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown is not down with the End Zone Dancing!

theshiverman
09-25-2008, 09:53 AM
If it was up to Legendary NFL running back and all around tough guy Jim Brown, there would be no end zone antics, i can see where Jim Brown is comming from because he is old school and actually had to deal with racism but my personal opinion is there really is nothing wrong with a celebration as long as its not too outlandish, some of the older guys may equate the modern TD dances to a slave dancing for his dinner in order to please his master but i think thats a little bit out there, but hey, he's Jim Brown and you couldnt hold a gun to this guys head to make him do something he thinks is degrading or humiliating:salute:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/812479.html

The legendary Jim Brown, arguably the greatest football player ever, once said that if today's African-American football players understood history better, they wouldn't be doing any dancing in the end zone. Brown was in Kansas City on Wednesday for a morning media roundtable at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, and for an evening town-hall discussion about social and economic issues at the Gem Theatre. And Brown reiterated why he is opposed to the celebratory end-zone dances. "If today's players understood the struggle that went on for African-Americans to be considered first-class citizens," he said, "and to have their citizenship recognized and the fight they had just to get a job�If (today's players) understood the fight against stereotype. "A lot of the old (movies) portrayed the style of the black prose and the dialect � this was humiliation and degradation. Then you get a modern athlete, who has benefited from that struggle (to change the stereotype), and they score a touchdown and they go do a buck dance in the end zone. "They voluntarily take us back to the stereotypical things that we fought so hard to get rid of. That's why I'm so adamant against that." -- KC Star

BarkdogRX7
09-25-2008, 10:43 AM
I get where he is coming from but why is he still voicing his opinions on the game, no offense, even the oldest vets in their late 30's see the game differently than Brown did, it's changed and he needs to deal with it, not every black athlete takes the game for granted, Brown, while highly respected, needs to calm down

Bronco Axe
09-25-2008, 06:55 PM
If there was ever a player in history who has the right to voice his opinion, it would be Jim Brown.

Southstander
09-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I agree act like you have been there before.

stnzed
09-25-2008, 08:00 PM
I get where he is coming from but why is he still voicing his opinions on the game, no offense, even the oldest vets in their late 30's see the game differently than Brown did, it's changed and he needs to deal with it, not every black athlete takes the game for granted, Brown, while highly respected, needs to calm down

Knock it off. :rolleyes:

It's not like Brown called a press conference to organize a Million Man March against Endzone Celebrations. He's probably responding to questions in an interview.

I'm quite certain he's earned the right to voice his opinions, especially if he's being asked questions, and I for one value his opinion over these so-called "......oldest vets in their late 30's". Who honestly gives a fat rats ass what they think? 99% of them will be forgotten the second they exit the league.

What is he supposed to say when being interviewed? "I'd like to answer your questions but Barkdog feels like I'm too old to voice my opinion"?

That's ridiculous, some people may not like what he has to say, but if people didn't want his opinion they wouldn't ask for it......

DawgFanatic
09-26-2008, 01:43 PM
I agree with Jim Brown :salute: , a little celebrating is ok.....but chad ocho-cinco-ish is too far

Jared
09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I'd love for one player, just ONE, player today, to be willing to be as hardcore as Jim Brown it comes to meaning what he says.

Whether or not you disagree with Jim Brown, you have to admit, he just doesn't give a damn if he ruffles feathers or what you think of him.

That's why he has likely never regretted his decision to retire when he did.

So, in this instance, I agree with him.

And I'd love for some ass clown like Ocho Cinco to try and respond to that with out sounding shallow and more focused on himself than acting like a professional.

I'd be impressed if they could, but I doubt they can. Since when Jim Brown went to college, they actually were student athletes. Unlike a lot of them in the NFL today, who couldn't form a coherent thought on such a subject matter if you put their life on it.

rockreptile
09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree with Jim Brown :salute: , a little celebrating is ok.....but chad ocho-cinco-ish is too far
agreed. I think our broncos celebrate TDs the right way. Mostly natural, happy celebrating.... nothing rehearsed or over the top, forced entertainment type celebration