PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Would Do Well To Hire Kiffin

MindField
09-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Now that Weird Al has finally dropped the axe on Lane Kiffin, you have to wonder if the San Diego Chargers would consider hiring him.

Let's face it, Norv Turner is the weak link in San Diego, and after the Chargers chump it again, and they will...they always do, I think Norv could very well be on the chopping block. I also think Kiffin would be a brilliant hire for them.

They could also cash in, as the Broncos have, with a former Raiders-coach scorned, because hell hath no fury like a Head Coach Al Davis stiffed.

Bronco_Hyde
09-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Not sure this is in the correct forum, although there is some buzz about the Broncos hiring Kiffin as DC. But I thought this was a good article about it if anyone is interested. (Just because they cast Davis in a bad light)

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/30/al-davis-to-lane-kiffin-quit-embarrassing-the-organization-ge/

Al Davis to Lane Kiffin: Quit Embarrassing the Organization, 'Get Over' JaMarcus Russell

Great news, Lane Kiffin: when God closes a door, he opens a window. Or something. the second-year Raiders head coach is out of a job, and owner Al Davis has the freakiest press conference in NFL history to show for it. Ah, to be a Raiders fan.

To the madness: some choice bits from Davis' surprisingly coherent but still extraordinarily bizarre presser (click that handsome mug above for the moving-pictures proof).

"Maybe I didn't want to admit that I made a mistake ... to be quite frank with you, I'm firing him for cause now, I'm not firing him for anything else other than cause. ...

I reached a point where I felt the whole staff, we were fractionalized ... that the best thing to do ... was to make a change. It hurts because I picked the guy. I picked the wrong guy. This is regretful, but I thought it was best for the Raiders. And I wanted to make it work, because I want the Raiders to do great. Someone said to me the other day, a newspaper man, 'Why don't you tell us your side of the story? Why don't you tell us what's happening?' And I said to him, look, I don't want to win in the press, I want to win on the field"

Um, obviously? Of course, Davis then proceeded to ignore himself and try to win in the press. Or, at the very least, malign Kiffin in such a way that he comes off looking like a guy who's fresh off running a bed and breakfast. Davis read from a letter he had given Kiffin prior to the Week 3 Chiefs game that included this nugget of awesomeness:

"Over the past months you have made a number of public statements that were highly critical and designed to embarrass and discredit the organization its players and coaches. I left you alone during training camp, the implication when you were doing these things, in the hopes you would cease your immature and destructive campaign. I wanted to make this work. ...

Your actions are those of a coach looking to make excuses for not winning, rather than of a coach focused on winning. "

Davis also encouraged Kiffin to "get over" the drafting of JaMarcus Russell, a player the Raiders owner alleges Kiffin didn't want.

It was all great fun for those of us who aren't Raiders supporters, but for an organization mired in futility since Bill Callahan took Jon Gruden's team to the Super Bowl in 2002, things don't look to improve anytime soon.

So, Tom Cable, best of luck, dude. (Keep that CV updated!)

PowderAddict
09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I really think Kiffin needs a couple years seasoning as an OC before taking on another HC job. I wouldn't mind seeing him at the Chiefs HC, that would mean each AFC West team has a coach that has a personal vandetta against Al Davis. Which would be awesome.

MindField
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Not sure this is in the correct forum, although there is some buzz about the Broncos hiring Kiffin as DC. But I thought this was a good article about it if anyone is interested. (Just because they cast Davis in a bad light)

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/30/al-davis-to-lane-kiffin-quit-embarrassing-the-organization-ge/

Al Davis to Lane Kiffin: Quit Embarrassing the Organization, 'Get Over' JaMarcus Russell

Great news, Lane Kiffin: when God closes a door, he opens a window. Or something. the second-year Raiders head coach is out of a job, and owner Al Davis has the freakiest press conference in NFL history to show for it. Ah, to be a Raiders fan.

To the madness: some choice bits from Davis' surprisingly coherent but still extraordinarily bizarre presser (click that handsome mug above for the moving-pictures proof).

"Maybe I didn't want to admit that I made a mistake ... to be quite frank with you, I'm firing him for cause now, I'm not firing him for anything else other than cause. ...

I reached a point where I felt the whole staff, we were fractionalized ... that the best thing to do ... was to make a change. It hurts because I picked the guy. I picked the wrong guy. This is regretful, but I thought it was best for the Raiders. And I wanted to make it work, because I want the Raiders to do great. Someone said to me the other day, a newspaper man, 'Why don't you tell us your side of the story? Why don't you tell us what's happening?' And I said to him, look, I don't want to win in the press, I want to win on the field"

Um, obviously? Of course, Davis then proceeded to ignore himself and try to win in the press. Or, at the very least, malign Kiffin in such a way that he comes off looking like a guy who's fresh off running a bed and breakfast. Davis read from a letter he had given Kiffin prior to the Week 3 Chiefs game that included this nugget of awesomeness:

"Over the past months you have made a number of public statements that were highly critical and designed to embarrass and discredit the organization its players and coaches. I left you alone during training camp, the implication when you were doing these things, in the hopes you would cease your immature and destructive campaign. I wanted to make this work. ...

Your actions are those of a coach looking to make excuses for not winning, rather than of a coach focused on winning. "

Davis also encouraged Kiffin to "get over" the drafting of JaMarcus Russell, a player the Raiders owner alleges Kiffin didn't want.

It was all great fun for those of us who aren't Raiders supporters, but for an organization mired in futility since Bill Callahan took Jon Gruden's team to the Super Bowl in 2002, things don't look to improve anytime soon.

So, Tom Cable, best of luck, dude. (Keep that CV updated!)

Not sure I completely agree.

Obviously, there had to be alot of distraction within the Raiders organization, so if there is a positive, all of that has been resolved now.

That team has played much better in recent weeks, and against good teams, and won't be the same pushover the Broncos faced in week one, count on it.

midgetbolt
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Now that Weird Al has finally dropped the axe on Lane Kiffin, you have to wonder if the San Diego Chargers would consider hiring him.

Let's face it, Norv Turner is the weak link in San Diego, and after the Chargers chump it again, and they will...they always do, I think Norv could very well be on the chopping block. I also think Kiffin would be a brilliant hire for them.

They could also cash in, as the Broncos have, with a former Raiders-coach scorned, because hell hath no fury like a Head Coach Al Davis stiffed.

Perception of Norv is that he sucks as a Head Coach because of his record in Oakland, yet Kiffin has actually done worse in Oakland than Norv, with arguably more talent, and somehow he's supposed to be an upgrade. :confused:

Please pass whatever it is you're smoking. :cheers:

MindField
09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Perception of Norv is that he sucks as a Head Coach because of his record in Oakland, yet Kiffin has actually done worse in Oakland than Norv, with arguably more talent, and somehow he's supposed to be an upgrade. :confused:

Please pass whatever it is you're smoking. :cheers:

More talent?

Not really.

He has been trying to break in a young QB that held out virtually all of TC last year, and then had to play with McCown at QB. Now it comes out he did not even want Russell at all, and I agree with him on that. I think Jamarcus is a fat, lazy guy that is vastly over-rated, and will not be anything near a great QB.

You also have to look at the working conditions Kiffin had to work under. It's not like he even had control over his coaching staff.

I also saw Kiffin completely out-coach Shanahan twice last year, and could have easily have beaten him twice if the Polish Sausage could have managed to make a FG.

The kid is a good, young coach, and he is better than Norv Turner hands down.

He is also young, and would be placed with a good, young team in the Chargers.

Norv Turner is not a has-been, he is a never was.

lvbronx
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
What does this have to do with the Broncos?

midgetbolt
09-30-2008, 09:32 PM
More talent?

Not really.

He has been trying to break in a young QB that held out virtually all of TC last year, and then had to play with McCown at QB. Now it comes out he did not even want Russell at all, and I agree with him on that. I think Jamarcus is a fat, lazy guy that is vastly over-rated, and will not be anything near a great QB.

You also have to look at the working conditions Kiffin had to work under. It's not like he even had control over his coaching staff.

I also saw Kiffin completely out-coach Shanahan twice last year, and could have easily have beaten him twice if the Polish Sausage could have managed to make a FG.

Kiffin has 5 career wins and he's the next coming of Lombardi. HAHA! His teams have choked away so many games in a year and 4 games it's pathetic.

Uh, did you not see Kiffin's teams completely choke the last two weeks, or get their asses handed to them on opening night by your Donks, at home?!

Norv Turner outcoached Tony Dungy in the playoffs last year; beat him with LT out, Gates and Rivers gimped up, and Billy Volek leading the game winning drive.

He completely outclassed Mike Shannahan last year to the tune of 64-6, and only Ed Hoculi could save you guys this year.

Again, pass whatever it is you are smoking because I want to lose myself in the same dillusional world you're living in. :cheers:

DenverSpark
09-30-2008, 09:40 PM
More talent?

Not really.

Agree on every point. Norv inherited a good team, and he is still failing with it. I really do like Kiffin, and think he would fit in better in SD.

RAWDOGG
10-01-2008, 08:04 AM
LOL

Being 2-2 with the two losses coming from a ref's blown call and a prayer thrown into the endzone, without a healthy Merriman, Castillo, Williams, Gates, Lt, McNeil, and Hardwick (5 of those 6 are pro bowl players) is not failing by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention Norv tokk this team to the AFCCG last year, and if healthy could have won that game. If anything Shanarat is the one that has been underachieving and should be on the hot seat should he turn in another losing season.

To all of you that think Norv is our weakness and LOL at you :D

Fins4Life
10-01-2008, 08:26 AM
LOL

Being 2-2 with the two losses coming from a ref's blown call and a prayer thrown into the endzone, without a healthy Merriman, Castillo, Williams, Gates, Lt, McNeil, and Hardwick (5 of those 6 are pro bowl players) is not failing by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention Norv tokk this team to the AFCCG last year, and if healthy could have won that game. If anything Shanarat is the one that has been underachieving and should be on the hot seat should he turn in another losing season.

To all of you that think Norv is our weakness and LOL at you :D

Im not sure I would call the Panthers TD a prayer...your making it sound like it was a 50 yard bomb that bounced off 5 helmets and landed in a guys hands in the end zone.

I will admit you got screwed out of the Broncos game though.

RAWDOGG
10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Im not sure I would call the Panthers TD a prayer...your making it sound like it was a 50 yard bomb that bounced off 5 helmets and landed in a guys hands in the end zone.

I will admit you got screwed out of the Broncos game though.

I shouldn't have said prayer, but it was a considered a realtaviely low percentage success rate pass to end the game.........Great execution by the Panthers to put the game away while the clock expired

Fins4Life
10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
I shouldn't have said prayer, but it was a considered a realtaviely low percentage success rate pass to end the game.........Great execution by the Panthers to put the game away while the clock expired

What are your thoughts on this weeks game at Miami? I am guessing you are a Chargers fan.

RAWDOGG
10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
What are your thoughts on this weeks game at Miami? I am guessing you are a Chargers fan.

I think the fact that all of our starters will be back for the first time this year is not going to bode too well for the Dolphins.........that being said I never look past opponents as we all know that "any given sunday". I think the Dolphins will try and run their trick plays they executed against the Pats, but won't be as successful.

I think Miami is a much improved team, but I don't think they can beat the Chargers

Chargers 38
Dolphins 27

Chargerbomb
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
The original post in this thread is so dumb it's not even worth responding to.

I'll chime in since I'm a Charger fan as well:

Against Miami, the Chargers should look more like the team that won 25 games over the last 2 seasons, rather than the team that struggled out of the gate this season. The reason is that the lines are finally healthy. Hardwick, McNeill, Jamal Williams and Luis Castillo missed most or all of training camp. That is 4 pro-bowlers in the trenches who are essential to the Chargers success. When they did come back, it took a few games for them to get their legs under them, but against the Jets and Raiders the D-line has been outstanding. The O-line should follow suit, hopefully starting Sunday.

Another key for the Chargers is that they get Stephen Cooper back after a 4 game suspension. Cooper is easily the Chargers best inside linebacker, and should help contain the Phins running attack. Pennington will likely get a lot of yards dinking and dunking down the field, but the Chargers D tightens up in the red zone and should be able to hold them to field goals.

On offense Rivers is playing his best football of his career, a mediocre game against Oakland's tough secondary aside. If the Chargers can protect him, he will be very effective. He is seeing the field very well right now and making great throws when the team needs it. LT should finally be almost 100% after that toe injury in week 1. If he is and the O-line is back, watch out. He could put up his first real monster game on Sunday.

I like the Chargers winning 31-23

Fins4Life
10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I think the fact that all of our starters will be back for the first time this year is not going to bode too well for the Dolphins.........that being said I never look past opponents as we all know that "any given sunday". I think the Dolphins will try and run their trick plays they executed against the Pats, but won't be as successful.

I think Miami is a much improved team, but I don't think they can beat the Chargers

Chargers 38
Dolphins 27

I think your really underestimating our defense with the 38 points. The two idiots that were responsible for giving up big plays were benched before the Pats game, and we dont get gashed in the run anymore. The Fins have won the last 6 games against you guys and I think the streak ends Sunday.

Chargers 28
Dolphins 20

Fins4Life
10-01-2008, 09:12 AM
The original post in this thread is so dumb it's not even worth responding to.

I'll chime in since I'm a Charger fan as well:

Against Miami, the Chargers should look more like the team that won 25 games over the last 2 seasons, rather than the team that struggled out of the gate this season. The reason is that the lines are finally healthy. Hardwick, McNeill, Jamal Williams and Luis Castillo missed most or all of training camp. That is 4 pro-bowlers in the trenches who are essential to the Chargers success. When they did come back, it took a few games for them to get their legs under them, but against the Jets and Raiders the D-line has been outstanding. The O-line should follow suit, hopefully starting Sunday.

Another key for the Chargers is that they get Stephen Cooper back after a 4 game suspension. Cooper is easily the Chargers best inside linebacker, and should help contain the Phins running attack. Pennington will likely get a lot of yards dinking and dunking down the field, but the Chargers D tightens up in the red zone and should be able to hold them to field goals.

On offense Rivers is playing his best football of his career, a mediocre game against Oakland's tough secondary aside. If the Chargers can protect him, he will be very effective. He is seeing the field very well right now and making great throws when the team needs it. LT should finally be almost 100% after that toe injury in week 1. If he is and the O-line is back, watch out. He could put up his first real monster game on Sunday.

I like the Chargers winning 31-23

I think our Oline will be better then you anticipate, and we will have success running the ball. I dont think we will go crazy, but we are averaging 4 yards a carry.

We are very big on the O line and we pushed around the Pats D line at will. There is no trickery in physically dominating someone and opening holes my F150 could slide through.

Last but not least you guys arent mentioning the home field advantage. The Chargers will struggle with the heat and humidity. I live in So Cal so I know what they are used to, and its going to be brutal compared to their everyday practices and home games.

Chargerbomb
10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I think our Oline will be better then you anticipate, and we will have success running the ball. I dont think we will go crazy, but we are averaging 4 yards a carry.

We are very big on the O line and we pushed around the Pats D line at will. There is no trickery in physically dominating someone and opening holes my F150 could slide through.

Last but not least you guys arent mentioning the home field advantage. The Chargers will struggle with the heat and humidity. I live in So Cal so I know what they are used to, and its going to be brutal compared to their everyday practices and home games.

There is no doubt that the Phins young O-line has been outstanding so far this year. That said, not too many players push around Jamal Williams, a guy who when healthy is often considered the best NT in the league. And he looked very healthy the past 2 weeks.

After the Chargers gave up over 100 yards rushing each of the first 2 weeks, over the last 2 they have given up 42 and 72 yards respectively. Plus, as mentioned, Stephen Cooper comes back. The Dolphins will probably get 100+ rushing yards if they don't fall behind early and abandon the run, but you won't see a repeat of that game against the Patriots.

Home field is a definite advantage for the Dolphins.

I'm looking forward to a good game.

Fins4Life
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
There is no doubt that the Phins young O-line has been outstanding so far this year. That said, not too many players push around Jamal Williams, a guy who when healthy is often considered the best NT in the league. And he looked very healthy the past 2 weeks.

After the Chargers gave up over 100 yards rushing each of the first 2 weeks, over the last 2 they have given up 42 and 72 yards respectively. Plus, as mentioned, Stephen Cooper comes back. The Dolphins will probably get 100+ rushing yards if they don't fall behind early and abandon the run, but you won't see a repeat of that game against the Patriots.

Home field is a definite advantage for the Dolphins.

I'm looking forward to a good game.

I agree with you...our D has to step up and not give up the big back breaking play. Our team is not good enough in my mind to play from behind.

Williams is agreat player no doubt...but how many people can say they manhandled Wilfork and Seymour?? Something to think about.

Also the last two weeks you didnt face the combo of Brown and Williams. These are two backs that punish you when you tackle them. This is where I feel the homefield advantage plays a major role. Its going to come down to who can hang in the 4th quarter. I have seen teams play hard, and by the time the 4th roles around they just dont have anything left because of the humidity and heat.

Heres to a great injury free no referee deciding slug-fest:beer: